Friday, April 21, 2006

Some observations on Barrera de Amor, April 18

To prequel Jean's recap of Wednesday, here are some things I got out of Tuesday's show (the first one I've watched):
  • I don't much like any of these people - it will make recapping easier.

  • In my opinion the first "barrier to love" is this fat old guy with the big black eyebrow.

  • Maite's father's name was José, he met Maite's mother Eloisa at a fair.

  • Griselda (Maite's aunt, with whom she used to live before she got married) is an old friend of Remedios. Remedios has just admitted to Griselda that the rumors are true: Remedios was Pedro's lover (Pedro being the evil Jacinta's dead husband) and Pedro was the father of her son Federico.

  • Maite is a good cook and maybe runs a merendero (outdoor bar).

  • Due to being poisoned every day by Jacinta, Maite is dizzy and therefore afraid to hold her daughter.

  • Nicolas is the father of Chantal; Eloise (Maite's mother) was his first love.

  • There has been a long, tiresome power struggle about whether this baby is to be named Valeria (after Jacinta's dead husband's mother) or Eloisa (after Maite's mother). I've only watched the show once and I'm already bored with this thread.

  • Federico to his mother Remedios: "You always say my father was a saint and that he died in an accident." He figures out his dad had "another family" and that's why he didn't marry Remedios.

  • Maite is trying to believe her husband, Adolfo, is changing - he raped her, got her pregnant, and then forced her to marry him by blackmailing her true love Unibrow, but now he's acting sort of sweet.

  • Jacinta: "My whole life has been dedicated to others." "It's I who decide what goes on in this house."

  • Somewhere else, Unibrow is about to take on a chipper, sexy young pet store owner as an assistant. Her name is Nuria - or maybe, according to the subtitles, Nutria. (A nutria is "an aquatic South American rodent resembling a small beaver") I can't believe she's going to fall for him.

  • Magdalena, who I guess is "good," sneaks a baby present to Maite. Maite invites her to come in but Adolfo's awful mother Jacinta runs her off. Later, Maite's husband Adolfo explains: Magdalena used to be his girlfriend, but his awful mother broke them up - and whatever she said to Magdalena's father caused him to throw Magdalena out on the street, and so she became a hooker.

  • Unibrow's sons nag him shrilly: "Why didn't you marry Mayte?" "Grownup's business."

  • We see Jacinta poison Maite's special herbal tea. If it were me, I'd stop taking that tea - she immediately gets sicker every time she drinks it!

  • At the moment Maite believes her mother-in-law is nice, and thanks her many times. Jacinta: "That's good, cause I don't like ungrateful people"

  • If you like to read the esmas summaries, we're up to around the 18th of november...

If anybody out there has been actually WATCHING this show and has something to add, please join in!

Labels:


Comments:
In my opinion the first "barrier to love" is this fat old guy with the big black eyebrow.

*Snirkles merrily* It seems like Univision's schedule is off by a few minutes, so when I flip over at nine, I always catch the tail end of BdA - and I always stare at it and think, "Madre de Dios, why is this man on my TV?"
 

shadowpup-I got a kick out of the baptism when Maite reached over to touch her baby and Jacinta jerked her shoulder up and turned her back. Then had the audacity to decide on the babies name. She is wicked! Is this character a typical latina stereotype? Sort of like the spaced-out, big boobie, blond bimbo stereotype in the U.S.? It's only my second telenovela. Was wondering if it's a common character to each show. I am right with you on L.A. He is really ugly. It hurts to watch him. Where is Fernando Colunga when you need him??? The husband isn't real cute either. I wouldn't want either one. I'd run off with one of the caballeros in the background.
 

Did anybody else see that one of the staff saw jacinta poison Maite? It's way too early for Jacinta to get hers so I guess she's is gonna die! Also, I am not looking forward to shirtless scenes with the same fervor that I did in Alborada. Please let unibrow (all the male actors,actually) keep that shirt ON!
The spider magnet, why were they throwing rocks at her? You know you're having a bad day when an entire village comes out to throw rocks at you. Has anyone else seen "Life of Brian"? I was hoping for John Cleese to come out and take control!! My Spanish is still rudimentary so I didn't get why they were tossing rocks.
I will be watching tonight , but will boycott Las beas de feas because I have better ways to waste an hour. Taped episodes of Alborada for one.....
 

iS ANYONE GOING TO TELL US WHAT HAPPENED ON CRISTINA ON MONDAY NIGHT? IT SEEMS EVERYONE HAS FORGOTTEN ABOUT IT.
wHAT HAPPENED TO THE OUTTAKES WE WERE SUPPOSED TO SEE? AND THE COMMENTS THAT ANTONIO AND MODESTA WERE SUPPOSED TO MAKE.
MELINAMA, WE MIIS YOU
 

Jacinta is making Juana (of Alborada) and Apolonia (of Contra Viento u Marea) seem nice in comparison. Burning people to death, letting a priest die? She seems, in my limited telenovela experience, to be the absolute worst matriarch. she has to die by something other than poison wine if there's justice in the telenovela universe.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder