Monday, September 18, 2006

Barrera de Amor recap: September 18

Maite and Victor seek Andres at his hotel, but the Bon-bon tells them he's gone off to a private party at a bull-raiser's place. Because they are determined to tell him TODAY that Valeria has born him a son, they will figure out a way to crash the party. "I won't rest till I've gotten my daughter out of Jacinta's claws."

It's also dawning on them that Jacinta and Federico were probably behind the long-ago surprise raid on Elvira's House of Ill Repute, which resulted in pictures of Maite cheek-to-cheek with whores, said picture being the primary reason the judge denied her parental rights with Valeria. "They must have had help from one of the women in the house, how can that be?" "Many people have a price."

Theodoro, Baldo and Juanita waste much airtime trying to convince Unibrow to reconcile with Andres. He says, in his huffy monotone, "Andres was bad to me" and defends his position against bullfighting: "I couldn't stand to wonder each time if he would be hurt." "All the more reason," Theo reasons, "you should make up with Andres. How will you feel if you read he's been killed, and you not speaking to him?" "Be quiet," responds Unibrow.

One of my commentors said I am too hard on Unibrow and that I should call him Luis Antonio and be more respectful. Since there appear (according to the poll) to be only 15 people reading my recaps, her reproach has statistical weight. What do you think?

Gustavo navigates his wheelchair over to the door - he thinks it's Elvira come to visit, but it's really Jacaranda. They are very surprised to see each other. She is surprised to hear that Nicolas's story - "I can't leave my wife for you because she is dying of cancer" - is just bull. Since Jacaranda is hiding from Rafael, and Gustavo is hiding from everybody, they agree to keep their meeting a secret.

Andres and his cronies visit the bull-fighting school - Federico is watching from the shadows. They notice a guy named Marcos who "has what it takes" and Andres invites him to the private party referenced above. Gordo says, "Ah, you want to mentor him as you were mentored." Federico gets hold of Marcos later and says, "I know how you can get in good with those guys" and we don't hear his plot but I'm sure it's evil.

Rafael, as Jacinta's go-between, visits the bent doctor and asks for more poison. The doctor says he got in trouble last time and is under scrutiny, so he can't help, but will make a referral (to another doctor willing to poison people on command). Rafael killed Jacaranda's husband, and the doctor killed Magdalena (Veronica's mother).

The gossipy ladies show Federico the car driven by the new owner of Las Barricas - the driver can't be seen, but Federico recognizes it's the car that tried to run him down. They give him a newspaper with a big color picture of Andres kissing the Bon-bon. Federico runs it right back to Jacinta and Jacinta runs up the stairs and thrusts it in Valeria's face. "Look at your Prince Charming." Valeria says, nevertheless, she still loves him as much as ever. Jacinta says: "Let's go to church and pray to rid ourselves of indecent passion." She smiles as Valeria cries and says: "Rodrigo is your future."

Jacaranda shows up at the restaurant to bum money off Maite and is upset to hear she's gone. Elvira says never fear, I'll lend you some money. Rafael shows up. Jacaranda's been hiding from him because he threatened to kill her last time they were together. He thought she had the letter Magdalena wrote in which she swore Veronica is Adolfo's daughter.

Guillermo returns some keys to Elvira. In front of Jacaranda and Rafael, Elvira loudly tells him: "I have important papers of Maite's which she wanted me to keep safe for her." She shows him where they are. Jacaranda and Rafael are watching. They assume the letter they seek is among those important papers, and clearly plan to steal the lot.

Juanita comes to visit Veronica. While Victor and Maite go off to crash the bull-raiser's party, Juanita and Veronica rendezvous with Valeria at the convent. Valeria tells Juanita that Maite, Veronica's mother, is also her mother! Veronica overhears this and her mouth freezes in a moue.

Labels:


Comments:
I like the nicknames you've come up with! That's what makes the recaps so much fun to read!!Please keep unibrow!!!
 

He's been Unibrow for so long that you should keep him as such!
 

Already we now have to scroll down a bit to see his stately image. I've always thought of him as our mascot.

I do see the commentor's point, however. Perhaps it would be good to use his actual name for the first reference in each recap, followed by (Unibrow) in parentheses, and then refer to him as Unibrow thereafter.

I mean, I suppose I should refer to RoboPop as Erasmus, and people should refer to Squeaky as Renata and Lasagna as Lisania, but oftentimes these little nicknames are the best we can do to inject some fun into all the melodrama.
 

To me he is Unibrow and quite rightly so. Up until recently he has behaved abominably, horribly mis-judging Maite, marrying Nutria while still pining for another, singing dreadful serenades, and wearing a tight sea-foam green suit. One must command respect, not demand it. I vote that Unibrow stands.

Many thanks to the reader, however, for logging in with their opinion. I hope they do not feel personally insulted with our tongue-in-cheek nicknames.
 

My objection is not so much to his character's bad behavior (after all, the writers should be blamed for that) but his bad acting. If you're going to be the star, you should either be a good actor or a luscious hunk. Unibrow is neither and his dull presence has single-handedly lowered the enjoyment level of months of this telenovela. The casting directors owe us an abject apology.
 

Unibrow has been his name from the very beginning and I think it fits.
However, saying that, I'm sure he doesn't read our little comments, because I would feel bad if he personally found out what we call him.
After taking a good look at him, we could always call him something worse. Caray, caray.
 

If you wrote Luis Antonio, it would take me a minute to remember who you're referring to. Also, nicknames are very common in Hispanic culture-- Gordo, Flaco, Guera, Chino, Pecosa, etc... That this blog embraces that piece of the culture is part of the charm.
 

I'll add my vote for sticking with Unibrow. I remember laughing out loud when you pegged him with it for the first time. It was perfect. If the recapper, who is going to put in the time to do an episode (it takes me about 2 hours to do an episode of Heridas) wants to use the nicknames, he or she should feel free to do so. Anyway, we should lighten up here. These are novelas not Masterpiece Theater.
 

here's my vote--luscious hunk or good actor???....i'll vote for a luscious hunk---but i think fernando c. is both..... a lusciously hunky good actor---we could call him ''studmuffin'' if we need a nickname . Now let me think of a good nickname for Cesar.
 

Unibrow or Unithespien this fella certainly doesn't carry off the Louis Antonio role for me. Terrible casting. As to Veronica's mother I'm sure I remember Rapheal strangling her, but don't know what the bad doctor had to do with it.
 

I must concur with the majority and vote for Unibrow! The nicknames add to the spice and flavor of the recaps. Keep up the good work!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder