Thursday, January 25, 2007

Duelo de Pasiones, Thursday January 25 - If you love someone, run away

Alina went into Maximo's house to look for Emilio. Maximo confronted her, called her a beggar, and ordered her out. Before leaving, Alina said, "You know perfectly well who I am." Maximo said, "Yes, I know. You are a thief, and besides, in rags!"

In the kitchen, the servants discussed Alina's plight, saying they felt sorry for her but were too afraid of her father to help her.

Jose and Arcadio, still working in the mine, discovered gold. Arcadio warned Jose not to tell the other miners, saying, "It is ours and no one else's."

Adela visited Alina at the cave and told her that Sergio would let her into the house that night to see Soledad. (I find it very farfetched that Alina can repeatedly sneak in to see Soledad, but Soledad can never leave.)

Alvaro (aka Don Loco), napping on a couch, dreamed that Soledad came into the room wearing a nightgown and kissed him. He woke up and said to himself, "In spite of her betrayal, I love her. I have to hate her as much as I hate her daughter."

Emilio asked his mustache-twirlingly evil Uncle Maximo if their neighbor Don Loco had a daughter named Alina. Maximo pretended not to know, saying only that Alvaro was a "strange guy" whose beautiful wife never left the hacienda.

Emilio (once again proving that he gives up very easily) mused that Alina had broken his heart, but "I am better this way. Free, without commitments, and with the women I want." Later he told Angel he would visit Alina's parents, "Not because I'm interested in the girl, but from pure curiosity."

Soledad thanked Adela for helping her and Alina. Adela said, "I believe in you. I know Alina is the boss's daughter."

Alina visited a priest who told her to come to church more often. (In all this time, with so much freedom and contact with sympathetic people, wouldn't she have found a way to send a letter to Emilio or Blanca?)

Elias and Blanca phoned Hugo, who claimed Alina was in Madrid with her parents.

Alvaro found Soledad drinking tea in the living room, dressed in black. He said, "Are you in mourning, or what?" She replied that she'd been in mourning for two years because he had turned her into "a sad woman, a bitter woman." The doorbell rang and Adela came to tell Alvaro he had a visitor: Emilio.

Alvaro ordered Soledad to pretend to Emilio that they were happily married. Soledad said, "I am fed up with your threats." Alvaro said, "Very well. Your daughter will pay the consequences."

When Alvaro came in, Alvaro sat beside Soledad with his arm around her. Emilio asked if they were in mourning and Alvaro said yes, "My wife has been in mourning for two years. Our dear daughter Alina died."

Emilio looked shocked and the word "died died died" echoed in his head. (Of course it never occurred to him before that there might be an actual reason behind Alina's disappearance -- duh.) He said, "Alina died?" Don Loco said, "Yes. A fatal accident snatched her from us."

Emilio said he had known Alina. Alvaro immediately asked Soledad suspiciously if she knew Emilio, too. (Pretty soon he'll be convinced that Emilio is Alina's father.) Soledad said no.

Outside the house, Santos told Alina and Rosita that Angel was "a good person, nothing like his brother." Alina wondered why Emilio had changed, saying he used to be so sweet and affectionate.

Rosita asked Alina if she would try to see Emilio that night. Alina said she didn't know; she would like to clean herself up and look pretty when she met him again. (I thought she seemed awfully lukewarm for someone who had supposedly been dreaming of Emilio for years.)

Santos then approached Adela and said Alina wanted to see Soledad. Adela said it wasn't a good time because Emilio was visiting. Rosita urged Alina, "Go ahead! This is the moment to talk to him!"

Inside the house, Emilio said goodbye to Don Loco and Soledad and offered his condolences. After he left, Don Loco said, "He seemed moved by the death of our daughter." Soledad tried to slap him, but he caught her hand and ordered her out of the room. Soledad said, "Damn you!" and stormed out.

Don Loco said to himself, "Yes, to her I am a cad, a miserable person. If only I could forget. If only I could forgive her. How am I going to uproot this love?"

Outside the house, Emilio spotted Alina lurking in the shadows. She tried to run away (um, why??) but stumbled. Emilio caught up to her and said, "Alina, it is Alina!" She ran away (again, why???) and he didn't follow her (why???)

As Emilio was staring after Alina, Sergio approached him and said, "This girl is nothing more than a vagabond, a thief." Emilio said to himself, "A thief? But she looked so much like Alina. No, no, no, Alina is dead."

Elsewhere: Marianita woke up and found her bedroom lights still on and her mother asleep nearby in a chair. She got out of bed and covered Mariana with a blanket. Mariana woke up and put her back to bed, saying Marianita needed to sleep. (But did Mariana turn the light off and leave the room? NO. No wonder the poor kid can't sleep.) Mariana then wondered again where Jose had been for the past two years.

Meanwhile, Jose and Arcadio walked through the woods in Central America, talking about their gold strike. They stopped to rest for the night. Jose said now he could go home to his woman and little girl in Mexico. Suddenly they were surrounded by men with shotguns.

The men took Jose and Arcadio into some building and debated whether to kill them. Jose said, "We don't have anything against you." One of the men, Jacinto (who seemed to be the leader), said everyone was against them because they were involved in drug trafficking.

Jose and Arcadio promised not to say anything about the men to anyone, but Jacinto didn't believe them. He said Jose and Arcadio would have to stay with them. Arcadio agreed, but Jose protested, "These men are criminals." Arcadio said, "If we don't do as they say, they will kill us." Jose insisted he wouldn't do their dirty work, saying he had other plans. Jacinto told Jose to think it over, then ordered one of his men to untie Arcadio.

Back at the hacienda, Sergio apparently told Don Loco that Alina was outside the house, because Don Loco tossed him a gun and said, "This bastard has not learned her lesson. You know what you have to do." Soledad ran into the room and warned Don Loco, "If anything happens to Alina, I swear I will kill you!"

She went to her room and sobbed to Adela, "He wants to kill my daughter!" Adela assured her, "He only wants to make her suffer. He's not capable of killing Senorita Alina." Soledad cried, "Alvaro is loco! He is capable of anything. If I could escape... If Emilio could help me..." She told Adela that Emilio was a good boy and had once been Alina's boyfriend.

Outside, Alina was sitting under a tree, watching Maximo arrive at her parents' house and wondering why he was there. Meanwhile, Emilio was standing under another tree, feeling guilty for believing Alina had abandoned him. He fell to his knees and cried, "Alina!" then sobbed.

Maximo informed Alvaro that Emilo had been asking about his daughter. Alvaro said he didn't want Emilio to meet Alina. Soledad came into the room and greeted Maximo, who said, "Always so beautiful!" which earned him a glare from Don Loco. (Hmm, maybe Maximo is Alina's father...)

Outside, Sergio spotted Alina and shouted something like, "The boss doesn't have to see you again!" then shot her in the leg.

Words from this episode:
limosnera = beggar
andrajosa = in rags
amargada = bitter woman
arrabatar = to snatch
tierno = affectionate
consejo = advice
canalla = scoundrel, cad
escarmentar = to learn a lesson

Labels:


Comments:
Wow...Carmel very prompt...I guess things are going a little slow (Alina delayed in going up to Emiliooo and various other little things)...They are building up for Alina & Emilioooo reunion I just know it and then have Muñequita in the red dress show up and ruin everything with lil' Gasper
 

What did I tell you, what a bunch of imbeciles. This plot makes no. sense. at. all. as you have all pointed out.
 

THanks so much, I missed today's episode and was desperately looking all day for a website like this, I'm adding you to my favorites!
 

Thanks for the glossary, too.
 

Carmel, thanks so much for the great recap and vocab lesson! I had thought I figured out a couple of those from context and you confirmed them for me.

Emilio is such a shallow son of a gun. Angel has depth, probably because he stays home and thinks a lot instead of going to the houses of ill repute with Army buddies every night.

I looked up the word "soledad" because I wondered if it meant what I thought. Guess what? "Loneliness, he likes to walk alone." Solitude, that's what Soledad lives with now. I think the writers have a dark sense of humor.

Couldn't Emilio see Soledad's stare, where she dared him to realize that Don Loco is really lying? She was trying to send him a visual message that he (dense man!) didn't pick up. Sheesh.

Alfonsina is very big trouble. She's at the root of most of this.

Jeanne
 

I agree with the (what?why?) when Alina ran away from Emiliooooo. I'm going to go see him, then run away. Sure that makes perfect sense.
 

Ha! Your title sums it up perfectly!!

Adela is really starting to bug me. "The patron would never hurt his daughter." What a boob! Two years of abuse and she still believes that crap? I know the writers are trying to make us believe that Don Loco is very powerful, pays off the local authorities and has his minions quaking in their boots, but personally I don't find him all that scary.

My friend's husband just bought a hilarious T-shirt; it is perfect for Emilio. The caption says "I'm with stupid" and underneath it a finger is pointing down to his nether-regions.

Great recap Carmel! Thanks for all your hard work, your prompt post and your excellent vocab words. Escarmentar...I don't suppose there's going to be much of that going around.
 

Yes Thank you Carmel. Great words you picked. And why oh why did Alina/Flor run away? What rags is she wearing? Where? These are the buring questions of the moment!
 

Great recap, Carmel. I think Emiloooo and Alina are made for each other...They're both so dense. I can't figure out why none of these women are liberated yet. The men are all stupid and macho except for Angel. Who wrote this story, anyway? Someone who wants women to be subsurvient? I agree with Melinama that it's getting ridiculous. Where oh where is the pirate novela when we need it????Becky T.
 

One thing I can say is that while this story is increasingly stupid, at least I'm still interested enough to see what happens. My wife doesn't agree, she gave up on it. Perhaps my writing commitment keeps me interested, but for some reason I kind of like this show. Whenever it decides to slow down and become plodding and boring, that may change.
 

Thanks, Carmel!
What did Alina think would happen if she stayed? Maybe you tripped for a reason---Duh. They never can go back and try again, can they. I would have put my hand on my forehead and said, "Oh my ankle, you must carry me in your arms...." The whole demsel in distress thing usually works. :)
 

Thank goodness for Angel -- he's cute and likeable. I hope the writers don't kill him off.

Despite the silliness of this show, I don't dislike it. At least it's faster-paced than Heridas de Amor was at the end. Crazy as Don Loco is, I find him believable. There are people like that. It's Alina's behavior that defies explanation at this point!!
 

Melinama you said it so well "what a bunch of imbeciles". This novela makes me want to scratch my eys out at the stupidy of it all. I keep asking myself why, why, why..do I keep watching!!! I guess I'm hooked.
 

When are they going to give us a good leading man that we can really gush about, like on Piel de Otono? Now Rene Stickler, he portrayed how a leading man should behave.
 

Oh, No!!! Maybe Don Loco finds out he's loco because he really needed medication all along for his problem and then there will be a public service announcement that says we should all get evaluated to see if we, too might need medication! It's just a theory, you never know! I'll keep watching just in case. Becky T.
 

Hey all!
Someone posted on my day that the dogs name is Tonqui not Donkey. So I checked the esmas site. And .... the doggie is DONKEY not Tonqui! Yea to the powers of Shrek and Hollywood for exporting that name!

Yes Don Loco needs therapy and medication. It would be funny to have a public service announcement that bigoted attitudes are not OK. It is disorder that needs treatment. Enterate!
 

Blame the captioners for captioning what they hear (especially if the program execs won't share the script with them for some reason). English caption bloopers are a big deal in the deaf world. DeafDigest publishes about two a week. Some are pretty funny. Live captioned bloopers are really bad news, too, because captioners just put in what they think they hear and don't have a teleprompter for most live programs. (If you watched Univision commentators during the State of the Union, they were having trouble keeping up). So, we get Tonqui, Tonki, Donky and Donkey. I have seen it every way. Thank goodness esmas (and Melinama) posted the character list. Seems the dog didn't make it and that's why no one knows the poor thing's real name.

Jeanne
 

Yeah, I was surprised to see "Tonki" in the captions, especially when I clearly remember her saying, "he looks like a Donkey" but maybe not all the caption-ers heard that episode... he's a cute pup tho!

And melinama called it right away... the prob here is that everyone is exceptionally stupid... but I can't stop watching... hmmm.

*lol* :)
 

Today's episode of Duelo is playing now. I know who Don Max is...I remember him from the very first novela I ever saw. Baila Conmigo circa 1992 (Eduardo Capetillo was in that one too). He looked younger & thinner then.
 

Thanks Lynn for clarifying the doggies name. Donkey he is is! I forgot (or didn't notice) that Flor said he looked like a Donkey. Thanks to our perceptive Ruth for reminding us of that detail. Schoolmarm, you are always a wealth of information with your insights. Thanks for sharing!

Recently someone mentioned that Thelma's opera-singing aunt is nameless. It turns out her name is Rebeca and she is played by an AIDA Pierce. How's that for maintaining the operatic theme?
 

Here's an alternate title ''A Donkey and a Bunch of Jackasses.'' Emilioooooo just doesn't do it for me. He has one expression no matter what's happening [happy, sad, turned on , etc.]....kind of reminds me of Fab in ''Heridas.'' Where is Fernandooooo??? Speaking of captioning, I've been watching ''Alborada'' with English subtitles , and I've noticed some mistakes. For examnple, they typed ''Diego'' instead of ''Luis'' and called Luis's son ''Rafael Luis Enrique '' [instead of Manrique]. Some mistakes are carelessness , I guess. P.S. We could call Flor de Campo -''Wildflower.] ~~~Susanlynn
 

Thanks for the recap! I disagree that all the men are stupid and macho, because I don't know about everyone else, but Santos doesn't seem to be neither stupid nor macho to me. But Emilio and Alvaro are definitely fit the "stupid macho" description
Unless there's something I'm missing. Yes, Don Max played in Baila Conmigo and was much thinner. If anyone wants to see pictures of him from 1987 to present, his official website is: http://www.rrfanpage.1sta.com
 

Sylvia, thanks. What a nice thing to say! I really enjoy this group and LFMB. Boy, are you folks teaching me some Spanish! I really appreciate that. I have always understood pretty well, when the speaker is somewhat slow and deliberate, but not when things get fast and the topic changes in recent years. This is a major help and fun at the same time.

Jeanne
 

Cool Mari..so I am not the only person who saw Baila Conmigo. I still love that one. Think that's on DVD? I would so buy that. I remember even watching the replay several years later. So loong ago, ahh. You wanna know something funny, the shorter version of my name is actually & spelled Mari, funny, no?
 

...and about that sweet doggie, he doesn't look like a Donkey to me. He looks like a Shepherd. German, that is.

;-)

Jeanne
 

>>>Yes Don Loco needs therapy and medication. It would be funny to have a public service announcement that bigoted attitudes are not OK. It is disorder that needs treatment. Enterate!

Great one Lynn.LOL..I love it..I sure would love to see Dra. Aliza Lifshitz do a segement about that.
 

Carmel, sometimes when I hear escarmentar or escarmiento, it's meant to say to teach someone a lesson.
 

Marycelis, it would be excellent if they would come out with a Baila Conmigo DVD! It's been so many years since the show aired that I can't remember much about the story. It was the first time I saw Rafael, and remember thinking "What a good looking guy with such beautiful eyes." But it wasn't until seeing him in Amor Real that I became a fan of him. A lot of people spell their names "Mary" with a "y" and not with "i" around here.
 

or maybe it's just escarmiento not sure. Just thought should note that.
 

I remember it like yesterday..Set in the late 50's (sock hop, poodle skirt, early rock & roll music, etc. Love that era, way before my time but love it nonetheless)...Don Max was the bad guy naturally. Bruno was his name in that one. Tried to cut it as a lead singer in rock group (Bruno y los Gatos or something like that) but because he couldn't sing for beans the label hired a real singer to do the tracks (Milli Vanili)...That novela was what brought Eduardo Capetillo and Bibi Gaytan together.
 

I'm sorry Mari, Rafael may have the most beautiful eyes but villans sort of don't draw me too much. I more into the leads but since Emiliooo es tan imbecil in this one I am not particulary fond of him. I'm going neutral and just keep reading & catching glimpses of the novela when I can.
 

Thank you, Marycelis -- as I recall, what Alvaro said was "Esta bastarda no escarmiento," and my dictionary doesn't cover that, but I found escarmentar and guessed that he meant Alina hadn't learned her lesson.
 

Carmel you are correct in that usage.

Here is the way it goes

escarmiento = to teach a lesson
escarmienta = to have learned a lession
 

carmel, Anonymous 5:47 was me

--Marycelis Pacheco
 

Mari---Who is Rafael in ''Amor Real''that you are referring to? Was that the character's name or the actor's name? I love that novela but do not recognize that name.~~~Susanlynn
 

Susanlynn to answer your Q, Rafael Rojas is the actor name.
 

Aha---Is he the actor who played Corona , the rebel leader in ''Amor Real''????? ```Susanlynn
 

Yes, Rafael Rojas is the actor in Amor Real who played Amadeo Corona, the good rebel leader. I'm not a big villain fan either, which is why it wasn't until seeing RR play a good guy in Amor Real that I became a fan of his. In real life, he's nothing like Max or Bruno... instead, he's a lot like Corona. :)
 

Marycelis, thank you for explaining about escarmiento/escarmienta! It's very helpful.
 

your very welcome Carmel.

I know you are right Mari, I guess I should watch Amor Real..maybe I'll rent it and copy it to have in my DVD Collection (it will be my first novela on DVD)

---Marycelis Pacheco
 

WHAT?? Don Maximo and the rebel leader from Amor Real are one in the same?? Wow, he sure looks different in Duelo!! Thanks for pointing that out. I would never have made the connection because he's such a leering creep in this show.

Susanlynn, I also noticed some of those incorrect subtitles on the Alborada CD. It might be very confusing to someone who doesn't already know the story. On an aside, last Thursday night we watched the scene of Diego doing his thing on the chamber pot, wafting away the fumes with his hand, all the while Juana was in the room. Remember that one? My sister was laguhing hilariously and all "what in the heck is that in there for?" I told her they are obsessed with chamber pots in Alborada.


I second the thanks to Marycelis and others who help us out with the language nuances. That's what this is all about.
 

you are very welcome sylvia...I love this page and I applaud it again. You guys make me interested in watching novelas just to be able to read these wonderful updates and delightful, insightful and funny commentary. Way cool, I am glad I found it.

---Marycelis Pacheco
 

I love ''Amor Real.'' The only novela I love more is ''Alborada.'' Both have Fernandoooo, but the character Luis in Alborada is much nicer than Manuel in Amor [who was a male chauvinist [but gorgeous] pig with a bad temper through most of that show...hitting and shoving women, drinking, and cheating on his wife.] Luis, on the other hand, was very chivalrous and protective ..more my cuppa tea.~~~Susanlynn
 

>>>Where oh where is the pirate novela when we need it????Becky T.

There are rumors that Carla Estrada is doing a pirate novela...if I hear/see anything else I'll post it. It was supposed to star Fernando Colunga and Barbara Mori but all I read is that FC left to do a movie. Again, if I see/hear I'll post it.

---Marycelis Pacheco
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder