Friday, July 13, 2007

Juan Querendon 7:13: during which your recapper is bored and disgusted by endless scenes of goo-goo-googly eyes as we try to decide who's hunting whom

Your temporary fill-in recapper here. I love Yo Amo a Juan Querendon, the first Mexican farce I've ever seen!

A few definitions of farce:

A comedy characterized by broad satire and improbable situations; intended to invoke non-censorious laughter; often with ridiculous or stereotyped characters.

As opposed to romantic comedies, farces frequently focus on a transgression or on a character's urge to hide something from the other characters, and the unforeseen chain reaction that results.

Having no time to step back and consider what he's been doing or will be doing next, the character who has something to hide soon passes the point of no return, erroneously believing that any course of action is preferable to being found out or admitting the truth, getting deeper and deeper into trouble.

The protagonist is usually presented sympathetically, encouraging the audience to identify with him and hope for his success.

The "skeleton in the closet" may be real or merely a misunderstanding or misinterpretation of facts. It is sometimes a secret which concerns the immediate present or the long-forgotten past and has just re-emerged and started to threaten the main character's security or peace and quiet.

Generally, there is a happy ending. The convention of poetic justice is not always observed: The protagonist may get away with what he or she has been trying to hide at all costs, even if it is a criminal act.

Farce in general is highly tolerant of transgressive behavior, and tends to depict human beings as vain, irrational, venal, infantile.

As far as ridiculous, far-fetched situations, quick and witty repartee, and broad physical humor are concerned, farce is widely employed in TV sitcoms, in silent film comedy, and in screwball comedy.

  • We start with the cute jammies-only birthday party for Nidia; the scores of candles on her cake go up like a torch (I did this once, I put 50 or 60 candles on a cake, I don't recommend it). Juan's happy voiceover: "This is what keeps me with them... Doña Nidia's a little concerned about getting older but she should enjoy every one of her years." They decide they'll have a 'little' party that night.

  • Chelo, the maid at CL and Monika's house, picks up the fainted wife. Monika thinks she's anemic - then the Doctor muses that she's under way too much stress and a heart attack at her age is likely to be fatal! But of course it turns out she's pregnant. "How could that happen, no puede ser, I'm so careful, there's no room in my plans for children."

    The maid dishes out one Public Service Announcement after another about the joy of having children, the miracle of life inside you etc., and that maybe this is best, the missus has been jetting around way too much, leaving the massah on his own too often, and that is, uh, not so good for marriage. A kid is just the ticket. And besides, a couple as gorgeous as Monica and CL should have a dozen children.

  • Pastor wakes up, wrapped in red satin sheets, still wearing his apron and satin shirt, way hungover. He immediately calls Juan (interrupted just as he's about to dive for a piece of birthday cake): "Juanito, I feel terrible, in fact fatal, there are birdies flying around my head, help me, I never drank so much (cries), nothing went as I'd planned, I don't even remember what happened." Juan, very relieved to hear this, assures him everything last night went great.

    "Juanito, please come get me right away." "NOW???!!" "Please don't shout." Juan says he can be there in half an hour; he lies to the ladies that he's needed for a big important problem at work.

    At Pastor's borrowed flat (where the Silver Fox used to boink Yvonne) Juan whips up a hangover remedy. Pastor morosely apologizes for complaining when Juan's been "such a prince." He attacks him from behind to deliver "an embrace of appreciation." Juan says, "Aw it's nothing, it's what friends do for each other," then says he can't be Pastor's date that night since he has to attend his aunt's birthday party. Pastor wrings from him a promise that they'll be together the next day.

    Juan drives Pastor home; Pastor half-heartedly proposes that Juan come in to say hi to Mommy Dearest. Juan is about to slip off, afraid to face "The Panther," when her rasping screech is heard. "This is some hour to be arriving home, decent people never sleep away from their own houses and especially not with mulletheads like HIM. Pastor, go wait in your room, I'll deal with you later, right now I'll talk to this monkey."

    To Juan: "I'm fed up with this to the crown of my head. Look here, boy, don't you hurt my idiot drunken son. I'll have to scrape him up off the sidewalk with a spatula, he falls in love with any old hairball, even that Fernando [Juan begins to smile in dazed appreciation that he'll have this hitherto-secret tidbit to blackmail Fernando with], they were friends for just a few months then Fernando jilted him. Don't you dare treat my boy badly, ok now to change the subject, would you like to stay and eat?" Juan, startled: "Oh, no, no, I can't, I..." "Just as well, I didn't want you anyway, I was only being polite." "Well, next time..."

    "I hope," she concludes sternly, "there won't be a next time."

  • In their cute little yellow shirts and caps the seminar participants in Tasco are engaging in bonding activities - e.g., a scavenger hunt. Paula cheerfully participates but Cesar wanders around by himself and doesn't even try. Paula visits him on the greensward, does some industrial-strength flirting, shows him how to hold his compass. "You're not even trying, after all these years of owning a corporation you've never learned how to be part of a team?" He says teamwork and cooperation aren't part of his style.

  • Yvonne calls Ana (Paula's mother) yet again and says: "You might want to warn Paula, who's messing with a married man, that his wife is on the way to Tasco and would not like to find her husband in bed with your daughter." Ana tries calling Paula but they don't connect.

  • Parafan yells at the flower vendor that the flowers are too expensive, it's robbery, "You've just lost a first-rate customer."

    He arrives at Nidia's with a huge bunch of luridly died carnations which Yadira judges to be third-rate: "He's so putadisimo with you, ma!" (I think that means cheap or like a son of a bitch.)

    In a moment of weakness Nidia asks Yadira timidly: "Do you think Alirio and I would make a good couple?" "Do you love him?" "I, uh, esteem him, he does whatever I want and I don't meet many men like that..." "But do you love him?" "With time, maybe I could learn to love him..."

    Nidia's eye starts to twitch like Lety's and as she equivocates and finally admits she doesn't love him, Yadira gives a resounding thumbs down. "Ma, a good man needs to have: money, eyes, mouth, hands, ("chomi, chomi"), he has to move well and not be a pest, and Alirio flunks all these criteria so forget him!"

    Juan primps in his boudoir mirror, debating whether to tie his hair back like a horse's tail, "But that would hide my highlights!" He lets it free and flips it as Gaviota does. "I'll wrap myself up like a present for them!" He sashays out the door in an ecstasy of self-approbation and runs into Marely in her black minidress. "Oh, the next world beauty queen, I need a pretty girl to take to the party." She says he looks elegant and he modestly replies, "One does one's best."

    Nidia descends the stairs a la Marilyn Monroe, to extended applause: feather boa, elbow-length gloves, spangles on her eyelids, an inverted silver cone on her hair. Alirio presents the beautiful birthday girl to the assembled multitude, then asks how she likes the flowers. She doesn't - they're cheap carnations - he should have at least coughed up for roses!

    As the party progresses, Juan is in a corner trying unsuccessfully to get Fernando to back off with Yadira because Enrique really loves her (while Fern's only known her for a week)...

    Suddenly that selfsame recently discarded fiancee shows up uninvited. He has a present for Nidia and makes a pretty speech, and after the third or fourth compliment Nidia invites him to stay, ignoring Yadira's furious signals. He and Fernando glower at each other.

    Yadira drags Ma into another room to yell about Kike's presence; she says she (heh) doesn't have room in her life for a pathetic chauffeur (Enrique). (Remember, she thinks Fernando is a rich impresario.)

    Nidia says Kike has been a member of the family since long before he was Yadira's BF and that Samuel (the dead husband) liked him. My closed captions weren't working so I'm not sure, but it's possible she said Samuel started that way too and Kike is following the same road. Yadira = unmoved. She says blood's gonna run in the street.

  • I reluctantly end this recap with a brief summary of all the nauseating, boring Paula vs. the Silver Fox scenes. All are performed with goo-goo aka bedroom eyes, half opened mouths with little bits of saliva dripping discreetly down both chins.

    Paula, with a soupçon of coy candor, breathes: "Mom says I'm an innocent gazelle and you are an implacable predator seeking another trophy for your collection." She says she's going to bed early, he begs her not to, she leaves, she soon returns, having removed her little shawl to reveal her deliciously protuberant breast implants squeezed out over the top of her scarlet minidress.

    To the tiresome sound of a thousand undeserved cymbal crashes and some idiotic "sweet nothings," Paula squeezes out of Cesar Luis the confession that he's wanted to carry her off to bed since the first moment he first saw her... but now... he wants... (more drool)... to make love with her. And this is quite clearly what she's been angling for, as well.

    Therefore I decree: Paula, joining Juan on the list of those who are causing their own downfalls by their own actions, now deserves everything that may happen to her. Let the blood run in the streets.

Labels:


Comments:
Melinama, thanks for the terrific recap, for filling in, and for the nifty sidebar about what a “farce” is. That’s a great tidbit!

“We start with the cute jammies-only birthday party for Nidia” LOL! Here’s my pressing question: did Juan wear his boots with his jammies again?

“Pastor wakes up, wrapped in red satin sheets, still wearing his apron and satin shirt, way hungover.” Ew. What a picture.

“Juan, very relieved to hear this, assures him everything last night went great.” Gee, Juan, did you really want to tell him THAT?

“he falls in love with any old hairball, even that Fernando [Juan begins to smile in dazed appreciation that he'll have this hitherto-secret tidbit to blackmail Fernando with]” LOL! Nicely said!

“a brief summary of all the nauseating, boring Paula vs. the Silver Fox scenes. All are performed with goo-goo aka bedroom eyes, half opened mouths with little bits of saliva dripping discreetly down both chins.” ROTFL! I might not even watch this one when I get home. It sounds ooky and totally annoying.

¡Muchas gracias otra vez, Melinama!

Jeanne
 

Thanks Jean, I might have exaggerated a tiny bit about the drool.
 

Oh I do enjoy your recapping style. Thanks for filling in for our Schoolmarm!

Putadísima can mean a SOB or bastard, but it can also mean a pain in the ass.

Good Gawd the CL and Paul relationship is a driveling bore! Innocent gazelle my culito, she has been tracking him since day one and, as you say, engaging in industrial strength flirting. She's asking for all the love angst that comes her way.

I'm liking the story line of Pastor's relationship with his mom. She's obnoxious of course, but she clearly loves sonny boy. Does her love for him keep him afloat or is it what keeps dragging him down below the surface?

Finally, thanks for the definitions of farce. How reassuring to know that we are enjoying a bona fide theatrical genre as opposed to a silly telenovela. (hee hee) I find I have to watch Duelo before JQ. I need the JQ pick-me-up after the depressing violence and stupidity of Duelo.
 

Okay does anybody agree with me that Juan Querendon has nothing to do with La Fea mas Bella??

Juan Q. is more light and the comedy is so much fresh and less crazy like it was in LFMB. I mean do Lety and Paula (the protagonists of their novelas) look alike at all?? I mean I know Paula is beautiful and Lety was fea, but there personalities are so different.

~ Anita
 

Well, Anita, there are a few similarities, but I agree that the comedy is lighter than that in LFMB. Any other comparison with real life is pure coincidence.

;-)

Jeanne
 

Thanks for the recap Melinama. Your list of definitions of farce was great too.

Karen
 

Ditto that Cl Paula bit. I'm thinking here we go again with the ill fated matchups. Turns my stomach. Oh well, I enjoy Juan's sillyness. I guess it was actually Thursday's show, but man I was rolling too when he was rolling Pastor around in the bed. That was the funniest thing I'd seen in a while. I wonder if they had to practice that to get him to roll just right. Tooo much!!! Thanks for filling in Meli!
 

Melinama, your style is unmistakeable! What a great re-cap! I totally agree with the whole assessment of the CL/Paula relationship. I'm starting to not care what happens to her; she should know better considering her mother's past!
 

Dear Melinama, Thanks for including that definition of "farce"....J.Q. seems completely on track with that definition.
Thanks also for being totally annoyed with the "love" scenes and saying so....I was beginning to fear that I had become completely cynical when I shut my eyes during those scenes...but no, I still have a soft spot for Lety/Fernando...so I guess not.

Judy B.
 

“We start with the cute jammies-only birthday party for Nidia”

My question - Do you think they wax his back?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder