Monday, September 17, 2007

9/14 Juan Q. Where PIG is the main dish (we are not talking about the animal) and Juan's dreams might become a reality

Pastor is asking Julia for Yvonne, Julia says that she’s been trying to call her but doesn’t know where she is. Julia wants to know what is happening. Pastor says that Yvonne condemned herself

CL arrives to the apartment and finds Yvonne crying. Monica looks sternly at him. CL tries to apologize. Monica tells CL she wants to talk to him alone. They walk into the room and CL tells Monica that whatever Yvonne told her is not true. Monica is very upset, how could he fire Yvonne like that! She’s been a good secretary. CL realizes Yvonne hasn’t said anything, and improvises. He says he fired Yvonne because it is very difficult to work with her. Monica makes him promise he’ll rehire Yvonne. CL accepts. Monica goes to where Yvonne is to give her the good news. Yvonne is delighted and very “grateful” to Monica. CL looks like he ate something rotten.

Yvonne leaves the apartment and finds Fernando outside. Fernando wants to know what happened. Yvonne tells him she recovered her job –Soltaste la sopa? (Lit. Did you let the soup out) did you spill the beans? –No, but I gave him a good scare. Since you did not want to bring me, why don’t you take me home? –Do you want me to take you to your house? –No let’s go to your apartment --I don’t want to be your consolation price –Fernando, “no te pongas tus moños” Don’t be picky, you always end up doing whatever I want.

Ana and Juan are talking and waiting for Paula. Ana goes upstairs to se why Paula is not coming down. Juan has one of his famous colored daydreams. In his day dream Paula is the perfect wife taking Juan shoes and massaging his feet while his “mother in law” gives him some food. He thinks to himself that he would never leave his mother in law. He likes to take care of both of them. In the mean time Ana went into Paula’s room. Paula looks beautiful in that red dress. Ana agrees with me and asks Paula if maybe perhaps by any chance Paula is overdoing it. Paula asks if she looks bad. On the contraire, you look too beautiful –That is the general idea. –Why are you doing this? --I want to cause a good impression. –Be careful, think on what your are doing, you may hurt somebody that “no tiene ni vela en este entierro” (somebody innocent. Lit. somebody without a candle in this funeral) like Monica –I promised I won’t hurt her. –ok, just stop being resentful and don’t “alborotes el gallinero” (Make things worse. Lit. fright the henhouse)

In the mean time at the apartment, CL is resting on bed and looks really bad. Monica is trying to cheer him up. –It is going to be fun –That depends in your concept of “fun”; did you know that for the Romans, fun was to watch the lions eat the slaves? –You are acting like a spoil brat. –I’m feeling really sick to my stomach. –You better get well, because this time I won’t believe your act.

At Ana’s house, Paula is finally coming down the stairs. Juan can’t believe his eyes. –I had to make a superhuman effort to not fall down butt first (no irme de nachas al piso) and to keep my big mouth shut. –Are you ok Juan? --No, no I’m ok, please forgive me but you took my breath away –Thank you Juan, but I think you are exaggerating. – No, the one that is exaggerating is you, you look Chula de bonita (gorgeous. Lit chula and bonita mean beautiful) –Thank you Juan, but we have to leave. –Usted dice rana y yo salto (I’m ready for whatever you need. Lit. You call frog and I jump) As they are leaving Ana approaches Juan and asks her not to leave Paula alone, not even for a second. Juan reminds her that he is not invited to the dinner. Ana replies that she wants him to wait for her in the car. Juan says that he’ll do it, and won’t leave. Ana thanks Juan.

At the Cachon residence, Alirio and Ladies are sitting at the table. Alirio prepared dinner “Estofado con carne” (I’ve made estofado, and I can tell you is kind of hard to cook and needs a lot of ingredients… as of matter of fact I think that that is why my husband is a better cook that me, he knows how to prepare food in a blink of an eye. In my case I learned how to cook at the feet of my grandmother, and she started to cook at 1:00 pm to have dinner ready by 6:00 pm and all her recipes were very complicated. Did you know that a good “Mole” takes about three days to be ready? ... but I digress) The Cachon Ladies taste the food and declare it uneatable. Alirio can’t believe such ignorance. He says that you need to have a refined palate to appreciate his food. Nidia says that you also need to have a strong stomach. Nidia and the girls decide to order pizza. Marely notices that Juan is not at dinner. Nidia says that Juan might be coming soon enough.

Juan is driving Paula to the dinner of doom. He is looking to her thru the rear mirror. He thinks that she is the most beautiful girl in the whole world and that she causes conflicting feeling inside of him. They arrive to the apartment and Paula dismisses him. Juan says he won’t leave. She says that at least he should go eat dinner, he doesn’t budge. She finally accepts for him to wait for her but with one condition; he should pray for her. He says he will. She kisses him on the check, and he pledges never to wash his check ever again.

Paula rings the bell, CL answers the door. He wants to talk to her –I want to talk to you before mm… (He was going to say my wife)… I mean you are going to hear thinks that I don’t want you to misinterpret. –Are you scared licenciado? You should calm yourself; I just came to a business dinner. Monica comes and compliments Paula, Paula returns the compliment. –Has CL offered you anything to drink? –No I was showing her the apartment. –It is beautiful; it’s been decorated with really good taste. –I did not do it; it was CL who decorated it. –Well done Licenciado.

At the Cachon residence, Alirio is telling Nidia that he wants to buy a car. –A car? –For the girls, that way they wouldn’t have to take the bus. This is the first time I see Yadira agree with Alirio. –Yes mom, please. –No I think that this way I have more control over you. Marely, ever the nice daughter, agrees with her mother and says that she’ll buy a car when she saves enough money. Nidia says that Yadira should learn from her sister (Way to go Nidia, this is the best way to promote sibling rivalry) Nidia also wants to know how is Yadira doing at school. She is sure Yadira has failed a lot of her classes (I did not know Yadira was going to school!) –I am not good at school, besides you have a lot of money, I don’t have the need to work. –In this house everybody needs to cooperate, therefore if you want a car you need to study or work. Free, nothing!


Paula what do you want to drink? Vodka, wine? –Wine please. –And you my love, what do you want? (Paula mouths the word Love? To CL) CL squirms (I love to see CL squirm) –I can’t accompany you to drink, the doctor said I could not drink alcohol. –Yes it is better if you take care of yourself. –With the care of my husband will be enough. CL empties his cup, and asks for more. Monica is surprised. We go to commercials.

Back at the Cachon residence, Alirio and Nidia are in their room. Yadira and Marely are listening at the door. Yadira is complaining that Alirio makes to much noise. Marely says that since they are technically in their honey moon, they (the girls) should leave them alone, Alirio and Nidia have the right to do whatever they are doing in there. Yadira pictures this in her mind and says “que asco” disgusting.

Marely is now in her room, the phone rings, and she hesitates to answers. It’s Juan. –What happened to you, Juan? You did not come to dinner. – I’m sorry “se me fue el santo al cielo” time flew by and I did not realized it (Lit. the saint left me and went to heaven. I know it doesn’t make much sense, but I think this expression was used to denote that time flew by because when you are watching a heavenly vision you lose the sense of time. I don’t know, maybe?) I’m sorry; please forgive me, but its better to call late that never right? –Yes of course, where are you? –I’m waiting for la licenciada, because I’m going to take her to her house. Marely gets really mad. –You can take as long as you want, I don’t care and you don’t have to explain anything to me, you are old enough to do whatever you want!! -- Ah caray, ah caray, did you eat scorpions for dinner? –No, but I can’t stand that you are taking care of Paula at all hours. –Marelita, I’m just being nice to her that’s all. –Well, I wish you good luck, bye. Marely hangs up angrily, and leaves Juan wondering what went wrong.

Inside the apartment CL is offering Paula more wine. Paula is wondering if maybe CL wants to get her drunk. CL denies this. Paula says that maybe it would be good for her to be drunk, that way she would have the strength to tell Monica everything about their relationship. CL decides is better for her not to drink more. Monica brings the main dish, Pig. Paula says that PIG (she is looking at CL) is very appropriate. Monica says that Pig is CL’s favorite. She calls CL my life. Paula excuses herself to go to the bathroom. As soon as she leaves Monica comments that Paula looks like she is suffering and if she has the chance, she’ll ask her. CL says that Monica is too nosy.

In the mean time Paula is in the bathroom. She is calming herself; she thinks she won’t be able to keep up the farce. In the car we see Juan praying for her, he wishes he could go in the apartment and rescue his Palomita.

Paula goes back into the dinning room. Monica makes small talk while they eat. –Did you live a long time outside the country? --Yes, they were very happy years, I can’t complain. –I imagine that your return must have been traumatic; it must be hard to come back and find everything the same. Yes, you imagine that you are going to find support, somebody that can honestly give you his company, but that is not true. Monica wants to know if she has a boyfriend. CL is very uncomfortable with this question. He says that maybe Paula doesn’t want to talk about her personal life. Paula enjoys seeing him suffering and says not at all she is ok talking about her personal life. Maybe it bothers him? Monica says not to listen to him.—I bet you that he wants to know if you have a boyfriend. –No, I don’t have a boyfriend. –That is hard to believe a beautiful woman such yourself, and no boyfriend? –I had a traumatic relationship with a worthless man that left me very hurt, she confesses. –I’m sorry to tell you this, but you show it. –Monica! –Don’t worry Don CL, I had the bad luck to fall in love with the wrong man, he was a liar, he swore to me that he loved me and that he did not have any other relationship, but he lied. He was married. He had everything; money, a great company, a good wife, health, everything but honesty –No, no, I can’t believe it, and who is this monster? CL looks pleadingly at Paula, while shaking his head no.

Monica tries to make Paula feel better, she tells her that not all men are the same –Look at me for example, I got the best of all. –Yes he has great qualities... the day that I fall in love again I’m going to do it with a man that would value me, and that would treat me like a person. –But we have been talking a lot about me, what about you; you look like you have a great marriage. –Yes, you could say that, we have had 7 years of good marriage, with ups and downs like everybody else. We have been very happy, I can’t complain, I have been very happy…and you my love? –Yes… very happy

In the car Juan is having one of his dreams. I think the writers read Caray, caray and know that we are craving for an epic novela, and they are trying to give us a little taste of it. Every body is dress a la amor real. CL and Juan are having a duel. CL’s second is Alirio. Alirio tells CL to aim to the heart since it is Juan’s week spot.

Back in the apartment, Monica is talking to Paula –Every day I get convinced that I’m a very fortunate woman, because I found CL, he is the best that could have happened to me. There are not many men like him. –I can only imagine… I have to go. –No Paula, stay, I want to talk to you. –I’m sorry I’m not feeling well; perhaps I shouldn’t have talked about my personal life. –I understand, don’t worry, I just want to thank you for staying with me in the hospital, it was a very hard time for me. CL, can you take Paula to her house? –No, Juan is waiting for me downstairs.

In the car the dream continues. CL and Juan aim and shoot. They end up killing each other. The Cachon Ladies cry and try to help Juan. Alirio steals CL’s wallet.

Paula and CL are fighting. CL says something about fixing things. Paula is beside herself with rage. She can’t believe it! She tells him that he doesn’t deserve the wife he has, because she is a victim just like herself. –If you don’t leave me alone I’ll go upstairs and I’ll tell your wife that you are the man that broke my heart. –You can yell all you want, but remember that you love me and I love you more that anything in this world. Paula slaps CL. –That is for me and for Monica. Paula runs to the car. Juan is still sleeping Paula tries to wake him up and touches his shoulder. Juan half sleep, takes her hand and starts kissing it –My love I’m here I’m not going to let him hurt you; I’ll take care of you. Paula starts crying. Juan wakes up and is ashamed because he was sleeping. –Please take me away form here. Take me to whatever place you want, but take me now. CL went back to the apartment. Monica is badmouthing the man that broke Paula’s heart. CL says that they shouldn’t judge without listening to the other side of the story (Ed note: ¡que asco de hombre!) –What could justify a lie like that? –I don’t know, all I know is that you are going all feminist on me, just like Paula, things are never just white or black –Is Paula a feminist? –I don’t really know, but just listening to her… --I’m sorry, but I don’t see anything wrong in defending yourself from somebody like that guy. I also, could never forget a betrayal like that, because a betrayal of love is the worst of all.

In the car Juan is feeling bad for Paula; he asks her if she is ok. She says she is fine. He wants to know if there is something that he could do for her. Paula is touched and starts crying. They arrive to Ana’s house, Paula asks Juan for forgiveness for the night he had to pass waiting for her. He says it was an honor to wait for her. She starts crying again and asks for a last favor –Please take me away from here. Take me whatever place you want.

On Monday is Juan dreaming again?

Labels:


Comments:
>
>
>
>
>Oh Maricruz, Thank you a million times over for all those dichos. I wrote down every one and am transferring them to my BIG notebook which contains (hopefully) words and expressions I will one day use with fluency. And I love the story about your granny cooking all day. How blessed your family must have been! Thanks again,

Judy B.
 

Yadi going to school? Last I heard she refused to go! I can only imagine she must be a nightmare of a student.

It was marvelous watching CL squirm in discomfort. That guy deserves every moment of torture that he receives. Sadly he doesn't appear to feel guilty or sorry about his rotten two-faced behavior, just fear that he might be found out.

I loved Juan's Alborada-style dream. Their wigs were so bad that I really thought I was watching Alborada for a moment.

Thanks Maricruz, once again you did a fantastic job; you are the queen of dicho translation. Thanks!
 

Thank you Judy and Sylvia, now that I have to translate the dichos I realize that in reality some of them do not make sense, it is only because I'm used to them that I know what they mean. If you really want to get a taste of somebody talking thru dichos all the time try finding some of Cantinflas movies. He was a comedian that spoke thru dichos so much, that not even native speakers could understand what he was trying to say. Even the “Real Academia de la Lengua Española” added a new verb in his honor; cantinflear, it means to talk too much and say nothing or little.
 

Maricruz, gracias mil veces for subbing again! I deeply appreciate it! You are indeed the queen of dichos, as our blogmates have said. We all love it that you know these AND can identify the ones we’re likely to miss because your command of both languages is so extraordinary. It really enrichens our lives to have this resource—you! It’s a real plus that you have a great sense of humor to boot.

“Monica goes to where Yvonne is to give her the good news. Yvonne is delighted and very “grateful” to Monica. CL looks like he ate something rotten.” He did look like that, didn’t he? He deserves everything that the gals can heap on his head. Friday’s episode (which I finally watched late last night) was so amusing because he got it stuck to him so many times in so many ways.

But, I felt a bit sad for Paula. She really invested part of her soul in that man and he is so sleazy, he’s still blaming everyone else. Still, she’s not my kind of heroine. Marely and Monica are the two best in this novela, I think.

“Ana agrees with me and asks Paula if maybe perhaps by any chance Paula is overdoing it.” (chuckle) She certainly was overdoing it, and that makes three of us.

“you look Chula de bonita (gorgeous. Lit chula and bonita mean beautiful)” I wondered if that meant something like drop-dead gorgeous, so thanks for giving us that dicho.

“Did you know that a good “Mole” takes about three days to be ready? ... but I digress” Whew! So I guess that stuff I buy in a jar at the store, add water and heat, won’t taste like your abuela’s, huh?

“She kisses him on the check, and he pledges never to wash his check ever again.” Juan was so cute when this happened. Poor thing.

“CL squirms (I love to see CL squirm)” Amen! Paula did a number of great set-ups in the episode. Good for her! Make the worm squirm! Especially now that you know he lied about being divorced.

“In the car Juan is having one of his dreams. I think the writers read Caray, caray and know that we are craving for an epic novela, and they are trying to give us a little taste of it. Every body is dress a la amor real.” LOL, Maricruz, this is exactly what I thought when I saw this part. It looked suspiciously like Alborada, too.

“(Ed note: ¡que asco de hombre!)” Hear, hear! You got that so right! He’s totally revolting. Thanks for this dicho, too.

Jeanne
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder