Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Pasion 1-2-08 "Everybody loves Ric"

Greetings loyal viewers I am filling in tonite..
Before we begin..I must warn you, I am not enamored with these people. I can’t really make fun of them cause they are only doing what centuries of Church Teachings and society have taught them. Thinking outside the box was not really encouraged. Kinda of like you are either with us or against us. Kings ruled through “The Divine Right of Kings” or God appointed Kings who then appointed their cronies to positions trickling down to Don Jorge. Isn’t it great that things have changed? Don Jorge keeps getting these “Heck of a job, Brownie” missives from the crown.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about when these people may have lived. I decided that since England seems to be at war Spain and employing privateers, that it would kind of narrow it down. Here is a link to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privateer. Seems like this must have been during the War of Spanish Succession 1701-1714. I may be wrong since I have not paid much attention, but isn’t Ric a privateer? So does that not mean that he has acted against God and Country and King? No matter the excuse wouldn’t he be likely to be executed if the Spanish Government could get their hands on him? So isn’t Ric at a bit of a risk traveling around with his blind cousin and Tia? I mean isn’t he known as the scourge of the Seas? So getting a haircut and swapping his doo-rag seems like flawed logic?

Oh well on to the tale at hand.
Okay Ric has come to visit sweet Camille. She explains to Ric that she can’t give back the loot, to the already rich and greedy Lis & Tia. The will states should she give any to the “Two Queens of Undeserving”, the money will go to the FreeMasons and Cami will lose her freedom. A two edged sword, while Cami would love nothing better than to insure further generations of Shriners with tiny circus cars, the whole slavery thing is a no go. See she tells him, I didn’t even know Timmy was going to leave me all the dinero, all I wanted was my freedom. Ric has that “Awwwww”, look on his face, like when you turn on the Animal Planet and see the killer hyena has pups and awwwww, they are so cute. He again brings up the pregnancy thing. It has been two months since Tio Timster died, so is she or isn’t she. With a demure smile, Cami says she isn’t certain. Ric gets his best “Rhett Butler” eyebrow thing going like, well maybe I could help you out. Cami is flustered. Ric leaves.

Meanwhile over in some other location in Hell, Claudio and Ascanio lament the death of Claudio’s Ma. Seems like the Ma’s Primo put the moves on her after Claudio and Angel were kidnapped. (I may have some of that wrong) Anyway the mother died and seems like the cause may be murder, by said Primo. I’m betting the so far unseen cuz gets whacked by Claudio, before this ends. Anyway young Claudio wants vengeance, but Ascanio says no they will return to San Where-ever to talk to Cami & Jimena before any whacking commences.

Saintly and Vasco (the neutured) have a brief, but painful talk about women. Vasco is all upset that Ursula dumped him for a rich guy, Saintly Saintly points out that he is stuck with Vasco’s lame ass sister, who is like two decades into full blown spinsterhood, while he really wants Vasco’s uber hawt sister. Besides Saintly continues, Vasco was just in it for the hawt fun, while Saintly was totally in love with Cami and hawt fun with Saintly would be a stretch in the best of circumstances. Aw women you can’t live with them and you can’t live without them.

Meanwhile Jimena yucks it up with Cami. Cami is flustered from the visit of Ric of the liquid brown eyes of hawtness. Jimena alludes to do the deed with Ric and pop out Timmy Junior.
I hate to be the voice of reason here folks, but Tio Timmy has been dead for like two months, even if Cami was as fertile as the Nile Valley and got impregnated then and there, well wouldn’t the kid be born like eleven months after Tio Timmy died? Yes, I know, everyone knows one of those stories, they are urban legends, babies are not carried for eleven months and I do believe even these rubes would know better. I say go for it, this time frame is actually on the right side of the bell curve of sin punishment, the age of reason is just around the bend, gather ye rosebuds while ye may. Languishing in remorse is so Inquisition, move on.

Okay now over at Whore-Hey estates, the de Carvajel clan has been invited for dinner. Ursula is wanting to really push the marriage deal. Dona Fortuna, is spreading the news that Saintly comes by to visit Cami, Ursula expresses the same look Paris Hilton would convey if forced to listen to a cashier talking about the big exmarital affair down at Trailer Acres. However, her ears perk up when Dona Fortuna tells that Ric came by to see Cami. She thinks Cami is way beneath Ric, but alas she does have the face of a saint and would actually look pretty good beneath Ric. Her ma, tells her maybe to back off Ric for a while. Cami’s Ma, Dona Sofie has a soft spot for Justo’s family & wants Cami to catch a break, what with seeing that whole night before the Wedding, near rape, spearing of Saintly, kidnapping of Cami basically was the work of misguided Don Jorge. Ah the Chaos theory at work.

Ursula is none too pleased with her mother. After Dona Sofie exits the room, Dona “Gatemouth” Fortuna, says your mother is all twisted up over Don Justo, but in a perfectly chaste way.

Over in the town square, Cami’s servant is filling in for the town crier and abruptly tells “The jealous and will never be good enough Rita”, that Saintly has been by for a visit, then she adds that Hawt Ric stopped by. Gee I wonder what Rita will do with the information? I’m sure she will not use it to bait her already hating her husband.

Oh my Gawd, wrong again, Rita makes a trip to the blacksmith shop. Saintly ever saintly innocently queries, “So whaddid you buy?” Rita answers, “oh some cheese, some sausage and a really really really hawt rich guy is hanging around my sister.” She further adds, “jealous much?” Saintly hobbles off.

Claudio and Ascanio have return whack free from their trip. Claudio tearfully tells his tale of woe. Saintly comes into the courtyard and the threesome disappears. Saintly asks what is wrong and Cami says more tragedy.

Ursula enters her father’s den or whatever and finds Ma there. Ma basically says there will be no discussion of marriage. After she leaves, Don Jorge says don’t worry, go make yourself real purty, Ric gonna come callin tonite. I think Ursula was skipping under those hoops.

Meanwhile Cami tells Saintly that Ric is trying to get to the bottom of her, no the bottom of the whole will and testament thing. Saintly does the when will I see you again, so we can have mucho chaste longing? Cami does not know, Saintly kisses her hand and leaves and once again Cami is flustered.
-----I forgot at some point Ric did confront Crazy Lis & Tia about the having to be a slave thing & the Shriners, but Crazy & Tia can’t be concerned with the slavery of someone, Lis is like I’m blind, she’ll be a slave, we all have our crosses to bear.

Now for dinner at the Jorge Palace of uncompleted Pleasure and pointless Seduction. The womenfolk are talking about Tio Timmy, yep he didn't let women leave the house, you had to sit around and paint and do other womenly things. Egads.
On to dinner. The subject of “Cuzzin Pirate Ric”, comes up. Ric says, yes it is true, when last heard of the handsome devil was in England or France. What were the charges against him. Well, murder…
Crazy Lis, butts in…he is innocent, innocent I say.

Later Alberto LaFont, Jorge and Ric are in the study. Creepy Alberto starts asking about Lis and stating that he owns a ranch with 500 head. Be still my heart. Ric plays it off and leaves. Jorge is laughing, he thinks that Alberto was yanking ye old chain, but no he is serious. Call me crazy, but I can see these two loco kids together.

Finally Finally Finally…it is the next day. Ric & Mario wander over to Justo’s store, they need a carpenter to help with the house, Justo says Saintly will be happy to do the job. Vasco does not seem so sure. Vasco walks down the street with the two well-disguised pirates. Ursula & Dona Fortuna happen upon our group, Oh Ric, please come over for dinner. Ursula is laying it on thick in front of Vasco and Dona Fortuna is giving Mario the serious eye, she is so wanting to braid more than that beard. Ric plays it off and the girls leave, Ursula runs her little riding crop down the chest of Vasco and Dona Fortuna gives universal thumb and little finger signal of “Call Me” to Mario.
----Now I could stand these people if Vasco, would have said, been there done that about Ursula----but no.

Cami is meeting with Sofie and confided in her the problem with the will & the non-completion of the sex act, the spirit was willing, but the old man’s flesh was weak. Sofie gives her this knowing look like, “Damn I hate when a guy dies during the Act.” Cami also tells her that Don Jorge has “offered to help her with her problem”.

We end with..how can I put this delicately in a PC way? Well needless to say it gave me one of the few laugh out loud moments I have had during this TeleNovela.
Lis & Tia are talking in the hotel lobby, Tia says Ursula is hawt for Ric. Lis goes all-ballistic and says Ric is hers. Ursula & Dona Fortuna are standing right there. Tia looks horrified and you know this is going to lead to a shhhh moment and a lot of loud “Que? Que?” & cane clicking, I’m sure her poor Dolly will be punished for this.

This pretty much sums it up…
I’m sure more happened, but I spend too much time looking for huge black swelling on the necks of the townspeople. I know I am a few centuries off for the “Bubonic Plague”, but it would not be the only not historical fact. Maybe a plague, a volcano, an attack by Apache Warriors…anything. Just wipe out all these people, okay leave Jimena, Ascanio, Claudio & the doublemint twins and maybe a couple of wenches…but that is it.

Tomorrow looks like Ric promises Cami she will remain free.
Oh Ric Pleeeze Free all of Us.

Labels:


Comments:
Is anyone out there getting the feeling that Jimena might turn on Camila or is it just me? She's said a couple of things that make her sound jealous and she was snooping thru a cupboard the other day - I have a bad fillin - as my young nephew would say
 

God I've missed you guys! You can call me Red Margarita Bonney (the pirate quiz said Charity, but I like my name).

Anywhoo, I caught 2 catch-up episodes while I was visiting my mom for the holidays and was lucky that it was right around the same place when I started watching it on Univision. Between your summaries and esmas.com, I think I know what's going on (I hope) but here go my two cents on tonight's episode:

Just to show us Ric's brilliant deducing skills, he asks Camila if she's the one that left the chest of gold at his mom's for Lis and Fran. Cami tries to say she has no clue what he's talking about and he tells her she's a terrible liar, and that's one of the things he likes so much about her.

Re: Claudio's mama. Although she was a good looking woman, she was still much older than the cousin and everyone thought it awfully suspicious when he got her to marry him. To make matters worse, right after the boys went "missing," Cousin (I think his name is Alvaro, but I might be remembering that wrong) started firing all of Ma's trusted servants and wouldn't even let nani visit, saying she had taken ill. Eventually, he announced that she had died of a broken heart over the disappearance of her boys. Nobody buys it, but he's too powerful for anyone to challenge him. Nani begs Ascancio to take Claudio away lest evil cousin discovers him and tries to kill him. During their rehashing over drinks, Ascancio tries to explain to Claudio that he too once did things without thinking about it and ended up regretting it for 20 years (ie: jail and indentures to evil Tim).

After Ric confronts Lis and Fran, Lis decides that Cami has bewitched him like she did Tim. Fran wants to take the Doc letter to Jorge, but Lis wants to wait and see what Ric does first, so as not to upset him. Fran tells her that she's fooling herself about Ric, but she says it's her money and they'll do what she wants. Incidentally, given the way she has described Cami to Jorge's family, I don't think Lis is as pure as she appears. Apparently neither does Alberto. He tells Jorge that she uses her blindness to get what she wants and is far more astute than people realize. He finds these qualities quite attractive (along with her actual looks and potential inheritance). Jorge thinks he's just depraved, but lets it go.

I find it interesting that Ursula, Fortuna, and even Jorge all comment on the soft spot Sofia has for Justo and his family. I wonder if they're hinting that she has a thing for him. She does tell off Jorge about how Justo is a good man and what a jerk Jorge is. Not something women would have the guts to say in those days (or that their hubbies would have forgiven) but it was awesome to watch. She also flat out tells Jorge that she knows he's only helping Camila and double-crossing Lis 'cause he wants to boink Cami.

The comment Al makes of the 500 heads of cattle is actually a property they can hook up Ric with if he wants to start investing in some local Real Estate. Alberto tries to fish some info about the buccanner cousin, but Ric manages to evade it all and agree to nothing. Albert does however, get the answer that Ric would very much like to marry off Liz if he can find someone to her liking. Old Geezer is quite clever. Later Alberto asks Jorge if he thinks Ric is honest. He says that they've know each other and Alberto still lies to him. Al says Jorge lies to him too. And here I thought they actually trusted each other!

Re: the next day - Justo tell Ric most of his stock was destroyed in the earthquake (apparently he runs the local bonded warehouse as they came to furnish the new digs) but he has some nice stuff in his house that he managed to rescue. My boy Vasco will take you and whatever you like, I'll give you a good price. Once they get to the street, after the ladies leave and Vasco starts to stalk off, Mario reminds Ric that Vasco said he was marrying a whore; Ursula must be the one he means. Ric says he thought she was just hitting on him and Mario points out the family might see the nuptials as a done deal. Ric looks a little thrown but Mario is very amused. At some point he tells him something along the lines that it's his cross to bear for being so good looking. I really like the way Mario keeps busting Ric's chops.

During the meeting with Sofia, Cami mentions the Dr's letter and Sofia asks who has it? Cami says Lis or Fran and we see Sofia's wheels spinning a plan. Sofi asks what Jorge asked in repayment for his "help" and Lis says he didn't say, but she's pretty sure she knows what. Maybe Sofi wants to get to the letter to get Cami off the hook with Whore-hey.

After Ursula walks in on Lisabeta's hissy-fit, Lis and Fran decide to go to Cami directly. When Cami gets home, they are already there and she asks Jimena to make up some excuse 'cause she doesn't want to see them, she's bogged down enough. Fran and Lis take the dis to mean Cami wants to play dirty and decide they have to get that letter to Jorge.

Quick question to the group: Is it me or are they making a habit of hiring English-speaking singers to sing Spanish-language songs? Beyonce sung the theme for Zorro and now Sarah Brightman is singing this one. It's not like they don't have enough Spanish-speaking singers out there. Just sayin...

It's good to have folks to discuss my novelas with again. I had been watching the Telemundo ones and I know you don't usually post those 'cause the subtitles are already in English.

TTYL =)
 

Red Margarita Bonney - you sound like an excellent recapper, want a gig with us? I'd give you my day, Wednesday (or half of it), if you like. Email me at caray@mappamundi.com
 

B E C S T E R !!!!````What a great way to start my day. I L O V E your recaps. So many funny comments, but my numero uno fav has to be ''Jorge's Palace of Incomplete Pleasure and Pointless Seduction.'' You have a way with the words, my dear. I also had a very clear image in my mind of Ursula skipping beneath those hoops. Yes, for Ursula, today is her birthday and Ric's the present she wants to unwrap. Goodbye , Vadco, hello , Ric, Ric, Ric. I agree that Ric is in reality trying to get to the bottom of Camila as opposed to the bottom of the mystery of Tim's warped mind. And yes, Ric, Ric, Ric has all the ladies aswooning, and I definitely feel him channeling Rhett Butler with thst li'l sparkle in his eye. He and Mario have great chemistry , and his chemistry with Camila seems to be growing. Now, he will buy some etchings from Don Justo and ask Camila to come over and see them. I am looking forward to him punching out Vasco. I like Ascaniooo for 2 reasons 1] he is hawt 2] he does not cry [Saintly take note : this guy has been in prison and been a slave...yet...no crying. You, on the other hand, lost your girlfriend and married a harpy...get over it. Thanks , Beckster , for my daily dose of laughter. Excellent !!!!
 

B E C S T E R !!!!````What a great way to start my day. I L O V E your recaps. So many funny comments, but my numero uno fav has to be ''Jorge's Palace of Incomplete Pleasure and Pointless Seduction.'' You have a way with the words, my dear. I also had a very clear image in my mind of Ursula skipping beneath those hoops. Yes, for Ursula, today is her birthday and Ric's the present she wants to unwrap. Goodbye , Vadco, hello , Ric, Ric, Ric. I agree that Ric is in reality trying to get to the bottom of Camila as opposed to the bottom of the mystery of Tim's warped mind. And yes, Ric, Ric, Ric has all the ladies aswooning, and I definitely feel him channeling Rhett Butler with thst li'l sparkle in his eye. He and Mario have great chemistry , and his chemistry with Camila seems to be growing. Now, he will buy some etchings from Don Justo and ask Camila to come over and see them. I am looking forward to him punching out Vasco. I like Ascaniooo for 2 reasons 1] he is hawt 2] he does not cry [Saintly take note : this guy has been in prison and been a slave...yet...no crying. You, on the other hand, lost your girlfriend and married a harpy...get over it. Thanks , Beckster , for my daily dose of laughter. Excellent !!!!
 

Hey Beckster. I think Ric is already marked for death in the eyes of the Spanish government, because they think he killed that woman. I guess he feels like he won't get caught right now since he's using an assumed name.

I don't know about Jimena. I don't know if she's jealous of Camila about Ric, but you have to question the judgment of a woman who could ever consider Jorge to be a hot prospect.
 

Beckster and Anon 01:40, between the 2 of you all I can say is "well done". I could never figure out most of what's going on if it weren't for you godsends, aka recappers. Beckster, as usual your clever sayings are too multiple to quote. I especially like the one about the cute pups of the killer hyenna. Anon, I hope you take blog mom up on the offer, or at least fill in for others. You have so much to offer. One thing I do want to comment on though is the fact that English singers are singing the latin songs. Many are beginning to add latin songs on their albums because that's what's selling. Personally, I'm glad to see the trend. Jennifer Lopez, Gloria Estefan, Chris Aquilera (sp)? etc etc sings in both languages. So, why can't it also be the other way around?
 

Thanks for the lol breakfast recap, Beckster! I'm late, but it was worth it because I'll be thinking of "liquid brown eyes of hawtness" all day long...
jb-Iron Jack Cash
 

LOL!!!! Great recaps...thx for the laughs! Last night was the 1st time I saw the opening credits, where the entire population of the town are polishing tonsils of any/everyone...too funny! I'm surprised they didn't add in a few dogs humping away. Let's face it: this show is strictly about the muy caliente muchachos & little else. This is my confession...forgive me!!
M from CT :-)
 

Beckster, that was a laugh-my- head-off recap! So great! I love your recaps not only because of your precise comments, but also because sometimes it 's so hard for me to understand what you are saying and when I finally do, it ' so exciting!

Jazzee - I hope that Jimena won 't turn against Cami. She was so nice but now I am not so sure. She said that awful thing to Cami about Jorge and how good catch he is, even though she knows that he almost raped her. She behaves badly towards their maid - as Ferro mentioned (I think) - she forgot that she was slave herself. She may be jealous of Cami.

Unfortunately, Ursula fell for Ric (too) and dumped Vasco so I have no female characters to be fond of now, except for Sofia.
 

Thanks for the recap Beckster and the additional info Red Margarita Bonney (I loved that scene where Ric left Cami so flustered with "you are a terrible liar"). I love knowing what I'm missing and seeing how my Spanish is improving.

Jazzee - I too hope your read is wrong b/c I do like Jimena. But her comment regarding Don WhoreHey (love that) knowing what he had done to Cami was not the comment of a friend.
 

Jimena is pragmatic to a fault. I assume that's why she was interested in Jorge. He represents economic stability. This is easy to understand, given the kind of life she's had.

And I see her mistreatment of the "help" as a case of "kick the cat" - that is, someone was mean to her, so now she has to be mean to someone else.

I'm not defending her behavior, but I can understand where it comes from. It's too bad that she can't adapt to her new circumstances. It'd be nice if she could see that, in addition to the mistreated slaves/servants and nasty rich people she's known most of her life, there are also many kind people, both rich and poor, that she could have a good life with.
 

Did I understand correctly when Lis and the niece were talking trash about Cami, that they said they themselves were kept cooped up by Tim, but that she could galavant out to parties all she wanted?

And did Ric buy real estate in town? If so, there sure are a lot of freshly-painted villas standing empty there.

GREAT recap!
 

I agree with you, Julie. I think that it 's too bad that the writers decided to follow the stereotype where the poor goes for the rich. Although, I don ' t think that Jimena and Jorge are going to be together. I would give her Mario. Or I could keep him for me.
 

Cap'n Julie~~~Excellent adjective to describe Jimana...pragmatic. That is a perfect word to describe her. She has had a hardscramble life and has had to be pragmatic to survive. Remember how she was always counseling Camila during their ordeal at the hands of the pirates. She's a tough one...a survivor. I don't think that she will betray Camila. I think that she's the kind of person who just says whatever comes into her mind ..she does not seem to have that inner editor that one needs to be PC , careful, and polite. JMHO
 

Yes, Maggie, Lis and her aunt really said that about Camila.

Those two certainly have creative, fanciful minds when it comes to what they have to say about Cami. Fortunately, I don't think anyone who matters (Sofia, Ric) actually believes them.

Someone like Jorge or Ursula might believe them, but that wouldn't matter since they already have a fixed and delusional opinion of her anyway.
 

I loved the deep courtly bow (no doubt tongue-in-cheek) that LaFont made before Jorge when he admitted that despite their longstanding friendship, they still lied to each other. I'm warming up to the bad guys a little bit, but I still can't get over the sleaze factor.

And I add my thanks to the Beckster (and to Red Marge) for the profusion of elaborate detail, so brilliantly rendered. Actually, I look forward to every recapper's contribution because they are so revealing of your personalities. Each one charming in its own way. It's like having a group of witty and wonderful friends. But not everybody has a picture in the sidebar. Waaah! I want to see youse guys.
--Inés de Dios
 

Gracias a todos. The last time I was seriously into a telenovela was Alborada when Melinama was doing it all herself. She was (is) incredibly good and I didn't think it would be the same with additional recappers but your are all great and yet very different. The recap is invaluable when I have been somewhere where I can't get Univision -- like the last ten days. My Spanish has improved to the point that I'm not missing too much other than the occasional idiomatic phrase but I wouldn't miss the daily recap for anything. What wonderful perspective everybody (including the commenters) brings to the whole process. Everybody doubles or triples the fun.

Grandma C
 

Thanks Beckster - your recap was wonderful. I don't have a clue what is happening as I've just returned from another vacation - Spain, Morocco and Portugal - left all of my vacation till the end of the year.
 

Yes, the recap was wonderful! SO witty and clever. I wanted to strangle Lis and the evil auntie when they said Camila was out raising hell when they were confined to quarters. I have to admit to heart flutters in the scene with Ric and Camila. His expression of warm affection when he called her a mala mentirosa and his generally flirtatious manner with her got me going for sure! I also enjoyed his complete aplomb when the pirate conversation came up at dinner. I thought Lis was going to choke on her dinner, but he was completely composed and lied beautifully about the non-existent other cousin.
 

I had kind of forgotten about the whole Jimena/Jorge thing - I was referring to the somewhat angry lecture she gave to Camila basically telling her what is she bitching about - she's had the life of Riley so to speak compared to what she (Jimena) has endured. Just sayin - I'm pretty sure I saw something festering.
 

Without the blogs I'd be lost - thanks so much!
To Sophia from Greece - Am I wrong or do these telenovas remind me of those found on the Greek Channel? I guess they're all quite similar!
 

Anon 8:27 - Have you ever been in Greece or something? If you mean telenovelas like "pasion" with pirates, no. But generally speaking our telenovelas have the basic elements: a beautiful couple, rich and poor people and many vilains!

Although, I tend to believe that greec telenovelas are going to disappear soon. They prefer producing weekly tv - series or adapting mexican telenovelas ("ugly maria" or the greec version of "amor descarado") or broadcasting the self-same telenovelas from Mexico, Argentina and Venezuela.

If you actually stay in Greece, sorry for the lecture!
 

beckster i laughed my head off -- thank you!!

red margarita -- thank you for being so kind to post all this extra info! wow, you sound like you'd be a wonderful recapper...i enjoyed every paragraph you wrote.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder