Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Pasions 01-08-08 "“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.”

The title is a shout out to Oscar Wilde...
Oh Saintly, you are the past.

We get a quick rehash of Don Jorge telling the Despair twins, Tia & Lis, that “Que the Hell, I’ll send to the Isla de Somewhere, “Clinica de Pene Flacidio”, & get a new letter of ED. Lis thinks this is a swell idea and agrees to leave cuzzin Ric in the dark. Tia doesn’t look so sure.
You know I find it a bit unnerving that folks sit around discussing the figurative ins and outs of ED, I mean three hundred years later, that topic usually is not brought up amongst casual acquaintances unless a commercial comes on.

Cami comes home upset and tells her little tale of exchanging saliva with her brother-in-law.
Saintly & Ric had a fight, Cami tells her tale of woe to Jimena.

Rita yells at Saintly, she doing her best Nancy Drew, figures out Saintly was making out with Cami, and Saint & Ric came to blows over it. Damn she is good.

Cami whines Saintly is the only man in her life.

Lis doing her best whinefest tells Ric that Ursula insulted her. Something about her father (I think) who knows? Maybe it was about her being 37 and still sleeping with dolls. Ric says Tio Timmy didn’t screw Lis out of the money to hurt her, it was just to keep Ric’s hands off the inheritance. Cami had nothing to do with it. Personally I figure the old man had a lot of time on his hands, sure he wanted a different hobby, but I guess that was medically out so what better way to pass the time than screw over all the folks who were circling his decrepit none functioning body? His last thought was probably “I bet you wish it was my writing hand and not my….”.

Anyway, over in gossip town central, Cami’s maid, Sra Gatemouth, is telling Fortuna & Ursula all about how Cami has Ascasio & Claudio living there, plus she entertains Ric in the Salon, the Salon I say, all by herself. Egads, it’s not like she is young Claudio’s teacher and they’ve been mapquesting direct routes to Mexico.
I know some people have thought that Jimena was mean to Sra Gatemouth, but geez there is no employee loyalty here.

Ric stops in to visit Don Jorge & La Font. La Font, Dude, please get that forelock waxed. Anyway after some discussion about (I think), the mysterious Rancho de Depraved that La Font owns, Ric wants to talk to Don Jorge about Ursula. La Font leaves. You know he is listening at the keyhole.

Ric says he is sorry if Ursula has gotten the wrong idea, but he has a sweetie, and he is in no position to marry. Okay whatever.

Don Jorge is giving Ursula the news that Ric is spoken for. Ursula is none too thrilled. Of course could it be Cami?

Now we got to the Saintly Abode of Saintly. Earlier Rita was having a meltdown over the latest fight & slumped over. Saintly’s Ma got her to bed and started asking questions. Using her ultra sound hands she pressed somewhere on Rita’s abdomen and diagnosed Rita pregnant right about three months. Rita smiles at the miraculous news.
Kids this PSA is for you, once is all it takes. Saintly is now figuratively neutered, Ric usurped Saintly’s chance to nail Cami earlier in the day and that door just closed (with a loud slam).

Ursula & Fortuna stop by and chat with Vasco who is hanging about the street with Claudio & Ascacio showing off his “ I was the high school quarterback five years ago body”. Ursula does a come up and see me sometime.

Saintly comes home and Ma gives him the good news. It truly is a miracle cause nothing mends a bad marriage like the introduction of a child. Saintly takes Rita a cup of something. She is still reclining on the bed. I’m sure she is going to remain in this position for the next six months. Saintly says he is happy and they kiss (rather chastely and make up). No more fighting for the sake of the kid.

Jorge tells La Font that La Font has to go to the Isle of Somewhere to get another flacid letter from the ED doctor and pick up some Rhino horn for the Don while he is there. (okay the last part was my suggestion).

La Font grills his daughter, he tells his daughter she has to find out if Ric really has a sweetie..then she has to get her sorry ass married. He doesn’t have anyone selected and doesn’t really seem that concerned about it. He just wants her out so he can move Lis in. I always wonder if La Font’s daughter wears depends cause she always looks like she is going to wet her pants when he talks to her.

Mario & Ric talk..I think it is about pirating business..anyway, Ric’s heart just isn’t in it. He is all torn up about his feeling for Cami, but in a manly sort of way.

Vasco’s kid, Ines & Pa come to visit Rita..she is reclining on the bed, this is just the best news ever. She tells Pa to tell Cami the good news. It is truly a Jan Brady moment.

Meanwhile Jorge is trying to find out if Cami has the 411 on Ric’s sweetie. You can see Cami is taken aback by the news that Ric is spoken for. She says Ric only discussed the Uncle Timmy dilemma. Jorge is getting a bit close and she keeps trying to move away. He says she doesn’t need to be alone, she does the I’m not alone, I have my friends and family. She beautiful and rich and Jorge tells her she must watch for young unscrupulous men who would be after her money. He however does not mention old horndawgs who would be after her other treasures. Jorge offers his protection anytime she needs it.
This really annoys me because today on the internet I saw pictures of guys holding up signs at a Clinton rally, that read “Iron My Shirt”, I mean I don’t care what your political leanings are, but I guess in three hundred years some people really haven’t evolved.

Crazy Lis has heard the news that Ric has a sweetie. Tia forced to listen to Lis rant how she is the only woman for Ric. Tia interjects that he thinks of Lis as a sister, granted a BSC sister, but a sister. Lis refuses to listen, how could he have a sweetie? What decent family would allow their daughter to get mixed up with a pirate. Tia rolls her eyes; that condo in Boca is looking farther and farther away.

Pa & Ines come to see Cami. Not one to mince words, Pa blurts out the news. Cami acts happy, but gets a bit tearful, nothing like the job Saintly does, but a few tears.

Ric wanders through the dark streets to music..kinda of music like in a Disney Princess Cartoon, Ric thinks about the ocean & we go to commercial.

Vasco comes to Ursula’s, La Font comes out and invites Vasco over to his house the next day. Vasco is allowed in and goes to Ursula’s room. She is wearing only her undergarments and it is pretty obvious a lot of foreplay is not needed. Vasco gives her a comb and in an Animal Planet act of grooming they comb each other’s lice laden locks. (Oh Please, like it wasn’t common). Ursula spills the news that Ric has a sweetie. She asks if it could be Cami. Vasco answers, my sister, never, she isn’t that kind of woman. Vasco, Que the Hell? She is that kind of woman, she is breathing isn’t she?

Cami is telling Jimena, chapter 45, in the continuing tale of star-crossed love. Sra. Gatemouth comes in and tells the two that Ric is at the door. All thoughts of Saintly go flying out the window. Once again Cami entertains Ric in the Salon…Alone.
At first she is all spiteful spunky and tells him, her life is none of his business. Soon Cami falls victim to the raised eyebrow above the liquid pools of hawtness. She asks Ric about his sweetie. Ric laughs at how fast gossip spreads. Ah that was just a joke to get rid of Ursula. Cami is all the sudden smiling and looking at him with lowered eyes and flirting. He tells her he is going to Claudio’s town to get the 411. He offers Cami his protection and kisses her hand. Cami says he was the second man to give her that offer. He asks who the other was and she laughs and tells him Jorge, as if. Ric takes his leave with another pointed can be taken two ways, Rhett Butler look. Cami touches her cheek with the hand of kissed hawtness. Personally I would never wash that hand again.
Saintly Who?

I probably missed a lot of the finer points, but just remember Saintly is screwed, Lis is nuts, Vasco is back in business & Ric will end up with Cami in the end. I just can’t force myself to watch it again.

Stay tuned…
I think Ric says something about marriage.




Labels:


Comments:
I think Ric told Jorge that he was engaged six months ago --compromentito??

When he kissed Camila's hand and gave her THE LOOK, my toes practically curled. WOW!!! She seemed to feel the same way.

I also understood something about his marrying her, but am not clear what he actually said. It really wasn't a proposal, but a kind of tease. Could anyone comment on what he actually said?

Beckster, as usual, your recap was hysterically funny. Thanks.
NJSUE
 

Thanks for the recap. I live in Washington state and I was able to read your recap of the show I was watching during the commercials! Fun!
 

Nicely done, beckster! Got some great belly laughs about Saintly's new bag and Vasco's hair.

That Vasco reminds me of Chuy as in Chewbaca. Is there any other man in that town with a mullet? Maybe he should get a shorter cut if his hair is too fine to make him look like a real man like Mario.
 

Beckster, great as usual, you are just too funy.
NJSUE, As far as I remember this is how their conversation came down: Rick entered the room
Cami –Do you have any info on the letter?
Ric –No the letter is lost for good, I came to apologize
Cami – Apologize? After what you did, after what you said? Do you think that’s enough?
Ric – I know is not, but that is all I can do or…do you want me to do something else
Cami –What I want is for you to leave me alone, you are not a family member or my boyfriend to meddle in my life.
Ric –Would you like me to be your boyfriend?
Cami –Of course not, you are a pirate! And I would never..
Ric –No I’m not a pirate, I already explained
Cami –Ok, let’s say that what you say is true, but how many girlfriends you want, first you were engaged to Doña Ursula and today I hear that you have been engaged for six months to somebody else.
Ric –The news travel fast, I just said that so that Don Jorge wouldn’t push me to an engagement with his daughter
Cami –Did he ask you? He doesn’t even know you
Ric –I have really good recommendation letters
Cami –Look Ricardo, I’m really thankful for what you did, but I don’t want you to come anymore, your visits make me uncomfortable and are very damaging for my reputation.
Ric – The blacksmith prohibited you to see me?
Cami –He did not, there is nothing going on between us
Ric – That is not what I saw this morning
Cami –You drive me crazy! My life is my life!
Ric – Does that mean that you are going to keep seeing your brother in law?
Cami –No!
Ric –That is all I wanted to know. Tomorrow I’m going to Salvatierra, and about what I just told you…Think about it
Cami –This is the second time today that I received a proposal and I was asked to think about it
Ric –Who is the other guy?
Cami –Don Jorge
Ric – (Taking her hand and kissing it)…At least my proposal is decent. Good night (leaves)
And that’s all
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Beckster, you are always wonderful.

Sophia
Just a little video for you.

Click here

Helen J.
 

Thanks! Heh. I know you've had it with these people and can't wait to get back to a Real Pirate with a pegleg and an eyepatch...
 

Beckster, I didn't read your recap in time to thank you last week, so thanks now for both this delightful recap and last week's. You rock!

"Ric takes his leave with another pointed can be taken two ways, Rhett Butler look. Cami touches her cheek with the hand of kissed hawtness. Personally I would never wash that hand again. Saintly Who?" ROTFL!!!! Why is this woman for one second thinking about this? Saintly...Ric....Saintly....Ric....why is this even a question in her pea brain?

"I probably missed a lot of the finer points, but just remember Saintly is screwed, Lis is nuts, Vasco is back in business & Ric will end up with Cami in the end." LOL! Nope, you got the high points just fine. But don't quit watching with us. We'd have withdrawal with no caustic Beckster remarks.

Jardinera/Cousin Dreaded Lucy Cash--if you read this, I re-posted my comment yesterday and feel like a pea-brain myself. Sheesh. Time for a vacation.

Jeanne
 

If Ric looked deep into my eyes, smiled, and touched my cheek, I'd buy the Brooklyn Bridge from him.

M from CT ;-)
 

Bravo Beckster, a funny quick recap is a great way to start the day.

Each time someone points out the reality of their times, like lice was common...yuk. There are still some nuts around, but at least we don't have to be married off by our fathers when they feel like it.

Right, Cami isn't the sharpest tool in the box. Lucky for her, she's good looking. In fact if she weren't, she'd have suffered a far worse fate by now...
jb--Iron Jack Cash
 

Beckster - thanks for the hilarious recap.

Helen J. - You are so kind, thanks! I just got home and I am tired and that was a pleasure!

GRita pregnant? Oh come on.
 

"The ins and outs of ED"... LOL. That will keep me warm for the rest of the day!
 

Maricruz; Thanks so much for translating the ric-Cami end dialogue. NJSUE
 

Thank you thank you to all recappers. I OFTEN find myself covering my mouth so as to stiffle my screams of laughter.
On that point about lice, I have frequently found myself asking what could be in the water that they washed with. Okay, germs were not common knowledge yet but odor?
And speaking of baths...in the episode where Ricardo fights with Cami and Saintly, then returns to his hotel and orders a bath be prepared? I think I got it! He wanted a bath/cold shower to cool off? Hee-hee, hee.

Cpt. Bonney Morgan
 

Maricruz, thank you so very, very much for that script! I can't page my dictionary fast enough and get verb tenses when the show is on so every morning I'm waking up asking: What'd she say!? What'd he say!???
Bless you maricruz!
 

Well, they did have soap to wash with. It's just that regular soap is not great for washing hair; you need to rinse with something acidic afterwards or else your hair will be frizzy and kinda sticky. I think someone mentioned this in reference to "1900 House" a few weeks ago. (Seriously, try it just once just to see what it's like... you'll forever appreciate the pH-balanced stuff we have now.)

Still, without running water, it couldn't have been convenient to bathe often. In Westerns and such you often see a big bowl and pitcher on the dresser; that was for washing face, hands, and whatever else was in need of a quick splash.

As for the smell... hate to say it but they were probably used to it. I know people who could afford perfumes and such would try to cover up the smell of dirty scalp (you don't think they washed and reset those elaborate hairdos every day, do you??) and body with perfumes; frankly, if I have to choose between smelling someone's BO or smelling someone's BO + a ton of perfume, I'd rather just smell the BO. :(
 

Thanks Becky, I loved the part about Vasco being the 22 year old former high school QB, that's perfect. He is that guy from Dazed and Confused 300 years earlier. He keeps getting older, but the girls stay the same.

I am enjoying the battle between Jimena and the metiche servant. I have probably commented more than other about how Jimena treats her, but now I am accepting it after seeing what a chismosa she is. The writing could have shown the servant's bad side a bit more to justify Jimena's actions, but whatever. I may have jumped the gun on criticizing Jimena. I like how when Ric came to visit late at night Jimena went outside to physically guard against the servant eavesdropping. That was hilarious.
 

ferro-94
Bwahaa Dazed and Confused,
Exactly...
by the by did you know George Washington raised pot?
 

They make rope from hemp you know!

Jeez the one thing I don't miss from college, the endless rationalization of pot. Every argument in the book "the constitution is written on hemp!" Every person going on about that was easily shut up by saying "ok how about they legalize it for paper and rope but still not to smoke it?" Uh uh ummm uh yeah that's what I thought.
 

Did anyone catch the dialog between Mario & Ric at Ric's house? It sounded, as Becky said, like pirate stuff but there was also something about hiring servants for Ric's house prior to Lis & Tia Fran coming. I wasn't sure if there was a connection between those two topics.

This show is a setback for me from a comprehension standpoint. Often I don't understand what's being said and even when I understand the actual words, I'm confused about how it fits into the plot. I'm trying to look at it as a challenge.
 

They were talking about the house being a mess and Mario said that even if they bring their pirate buddies up, they won't clean up, they need to hire some servants. That's what I got out of it. Then they moved onto talking about Ric being in luuuuve.
 

beckster, thanks! 'saintly who?!' would be my reaction as well. goshdarnit, just by looking at his dimples i would say 'yes, i will marry you'...let alone the rest of him. i love how he humorously mocks cami, especially when he makes her upset. maricruz, thank u SO much for that dialogue!!

i am having an issue with the age thing. how old is ricky supposed to be in this novela? if he got accused of murer at age 18, and was a pirate for like 4-5 years, then he must be around 22-23 right now? hmmm...no complains though...for the sake of ricky's glorious image i will imagine he's 24...ok, maybe 25. whew, if my husband looked like that at age 42 i might actually do laundry and iron his shirts, which i currently suck at. i might even take care of our paperwork.
 

Thanks, Chris. Glad to know I didn't miss any major plot turn : )
 

Thanks for the recap, Beckster. I'm still having trouble warming up to the plot. Actually, I'm trying to find the plot. Anyway, last night after Ric's visit, Cami said this is the second time today I've received a "propuesta", which in my dictionary means proposal. But, to me, it looks like she received two propositions, and there is no doubt in my mind as to what Don Jorge had in his mind when he made his "propuesta." Poor girl.

And as to Ric, I just haven't fallen in love with this character yet. OK, Fernando Colunga is beautiful. But, pirate/Antillano/etc Ric has yet to appear as anything more than self-serving, e.g., previous episode when he confronts Cami and Santi. So, where does he think he gets the right to do that?

From lower Ala
 

Great recap Beckster.
Jorge makes some parting shot to Ursula at the end of this scene:
"Don Jorge is giving Ursula the news that Ric is spoken for. Ursula is none too thrilled. Of course could it be Cami?"
I could not get it and I don't know about the rest of you but my titles weren't working again last night.
Any idea what it was?

Pasion just goes to show that you can have a boring novela about pirates!

Jean
 

Pasofino - "proposal" is a perfectly accurate translation. It doesn't necessarily refer to a marriage proposal. It could be any kind of proposal - anywhere from a business proposal to an indecent proposal, i.e. proposition.
 

Thank you, Julie.
 

I for one dig La Font’s ‘do. It’s kinda punk meets the Reformation (Counter-Reformation? We’re-in-the-colonies-and-we-don’t-give-a-rat’s-patoot?)

One would think that people had noticed how cruel he is to his daughter. Jorge is pretty laid back, scant on scruples, but not cruel, and I’m surprised he wouldn’t notice this severe character flaw in his friend.

Finally somebody, namely Rita, mentioned Cami’s newfound wealth. I’ve been surprised at how everyone accepts without rancor her new easy-street life and her fancy clothes.

This puts me in mind of my great-grandmother. She and my great-grandfather came from Ireland to the U.S. in the mid-1800s and landed up in Indian Territory, which is now Oklahoma. They had been middle-class in Ireland, and we found a poignant letter from her saying that she had to leave her pretty dresses in her trunk, untouched, as they might make the other women, who didn’t have such things, think she was putting on airs.
 

Hubby refers to LaFont as rooster head, thanks to the hair style. I'm getting tired of these spoiled rich girls crying and whining all the time (yes, I mean you Ursula and Lisabeta.) I liked Vasco as the HS quarterback, still hanging onto his image.
La Paloma
 

njmotmot: You had a question ==Jorge makes some parting shot to Ursula at the end of this scene:
"Don Jorge is giving Ursula the news that Ric is spoken for. Ursula is none too thrilled. Of course could it be Cami?"
I could not get it and I don't know about the rest of you but my titles weren't working again last night.
Any idea what it was???==

Here is the translation for you with them, plus Sofia and Fortunata's remarks. Hope it helps........

U. "What do you mean, engaged? He deceived us!

J. Well, nobody asked him.

U. Bu you were the one who suggested it to me!

J. Well, I assumed when he said he was a bachelor tha he was fre. and it sem he'd be a good match.

F. Well, either way, this situation is embarrassing. The whole town herer considers her marrying him a done deal.

J. And who was so indiscreet as to have talked about it before I even had a chance to speak to him about it?

F. Uhhhh---I don't know, but news here flies.

S. No reason to argue about the subject now. Besides it seems a good thing. The man is a stranger even if he might seem decent, we don't know if he is or not.

U. Is it possible he lied because he's gotten involved now with the miller's daughter? He visits her every other minute, they spend hours together chatting it up alone. Right Fortunata?

F. Yes, a woman who works as a servant in Camila's household told us just today!

J. Well, then. That's the way it is then. It can't be helped.

U. Can't be helped!??? You shouldn't let a stranger humiliate us this way. You shouldn't receive him again in this house. What's more, you should throw him out of town!

S. Don't get so dramatic. He's engaged and that's that.

U. Whose side are you on? You take Camila's part over your own daughters!

S.No! I'm not taking sides.
Tomorrow when you've gotten over this tantrum and calmed down we'll review the rest of the candidates.

U. Are you going to allw it daddy?

J. What do you want? That I chain him and take him to the altar for you?"
 

Hilarious recap Beckster, loved the QB comparison. How true.

Regarding Jimena's treatment of Gatemouth, whether or not she's right there is one motif that usually plays itself out in these telenovelas...treat a servant badly and they'll stick it to you. Jimena could be more tactful and save herself a world of hurt.

Jardinera, thanks for translating the conversation. My CC was also on the fritz so your post is a great help.
 

Ursula & Fortuna stop by and chat with Vasco who is hanging about the street with Claudio & Ascanio showing off his “ I was the high school quarterback five years ago body”. Ursula does a come up and see me sometime.

This was a small scene but my favorite in the whole episode. I know that there were some good ones with hawt ric and cami but this took the cake. I can't do the dialog because I saw the show this morning and deleted it but from what I recall, when Ursula gives Vasco her request that he deliver stuff as quick as possible to the mansion, the guys have a neat little double entendre discussion about Ursula. That she's "demanding" but nothing that Vasco can't handle. Ascanio and Vasco bat this around over Claudio's head and the looks were just priceless. Ascanio's character has been a little boring of late this was good acting.
 

More scenes with Ascanio would be fine by me.
 

Jardinera, and Maricruz, thanks for the dialogue translations! I thought I heard both of those the way you translated them, but it makes all the difference in the world to see you confirm what my pea brain thought I heard.

Jeanne
 

Beckster--

“Lis doing her best whinefest tells Ric that Ursula insulted her. Something about her father (I think) who knows? Maybe it was about her being 37 and still sleeping with dolls.” ROTFL!!!! All she has to do, though, is flirt a little with LaFont and she can give up the dolls forever. Or at least for a couple of years until he gets like Jorge and Tim.

Jeanne
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder