Friday, March 28, 2008

Guapos Thursday March 27, 2008: In which Luci sings in more ways than one

A blanket apology for past, present and future typos. It’s quite late when I post, and my brain is fried by then!

In Connie’s office, Damien is telling him how he wants to support him as always, and lookit what he brought him – a law proposal which he got through a connection. He doesn’t mention that that connection was a trash can. He says how it’s going to make Connie look like a guy with great ideas, and after all, the election is coming up. Connie says he’ll give it a look.

At the convent, it’s hijinks time as the Sor and Mili have the orphan in a little tub and are giving him a good scrubbing while he protests that they are torturing him. He pulls Mili down into the tub.

Outside a shopping center, Andrea in her red sports car is driving slowly next to Karla, who is walking. Andrea says she has a proposition to make and why doesn’t Karla get in and they can talk? Karla gets in smiling and caresses the nice interior appreciatively.

The Sor and Mili and the orphan are coming down the convent steps and Mili is telling him he’s going to get some great eats cooked up by the Sor. Here comes Alex looking for Mili, who rolls her eyes. Mili goes over to talk to him. The orphan wants to know who the blondie is – the Sor says it’s the young patron, and that they are in love, but are driving each other nuts.

Alex wants to talk, but Mili says leave me alone. The kid comes up and wants to know if this guy is bothering her, because he’ll beat him up if she wants. Alex asks who’s this puppy and the kid gives him a karate kick to the gut. Mili and the kid run off.

In Andrea’s car again - she is talking to Karla. Andrea says needs someone in the house to be her eyes and ears and she thought that could be Karla. Karla says not for free. Whatever you want, you get, says Andrea. You’re on says Karla, who gets on the job right away by telling about Mili and Hugo’s engagement and about the arrival of Pilar who wants to get Alex back. Andrea is impactada. Pilar is back in Mexico?

Connie in his office is pouring a couple of drinks for him and Damien. He really likes the law proposal! It could lead to great things, maybe mayor even one day. And he says he won’t forget that Damien is the one who opened that door for him. They toast.

Mili and the Sor and the orphan are still walking to the dining room. The kid says he’s glad that guy’s gone. Just then Alex drives up in his SUV and cuts them off. He jumps out and begs Mili to talk to him. The orphan threatens him, but Alex says please don’t put me in the hospital, I promise I won’t hurt your friend. The kid says okay and he and the Sor go on their way.

Mili asks what’s the big deal that you’re following me all day? Alex goes for broke: I’m sorry I didn’t believe you, you were right about Andrea, I acted like a jerk. Too late says Mili. If you can’t believe the person you say you supposedly love so much, it’s just not worth it.

Ad for the sombrero novella.

We’re at Pilar’s apartment. Andrea is at the door. I heard you came back from Barcelona, she says, and I guess you’ve heard everything they said about me. Yes, says Pilar. They smile real phony at each other. Come in, says Pilar. Andrea tells her that if she wants to get Alex, she’ll have to sharpen up her nails. I don’t have any, says Pilar, holding up an unmanicured hand. Plus I won’t be taking him from you since he already told you to go to hell.

Andrea takes her lightly by the throat. If you try to get him, you’ll be sorry. Pilar smiles I’m looking forward to comforting him after what you did to him - let go of me! Andrea lets go. And listen to me now – Pilar hisses, smiling, you are dead to Alex. And if you haven’t grasped that, it’s because you’re an idiot. Now leave. Andrea smiles, and vamps slowly out, a hand on one hip. Bye, corazon, says Pilar, and blows her a kiss. Andrea fake smiles. So much for any hopes we might have had that Pilar is a good-hearted girl.

Lucy is in her room overlooking the garden. Braulio comes in – you rang? You hate me don’t you, says Lucy because I’m occupying the position in this house you think your sister deserved. Well, it’s not my fault. Braulio pretends not to understand. Drop the pretense, says Luci. And now the granddaughter that Regina has been looking for is here in the house, that little conniver, and mixing in with my husband. And tell me, what was the point of your sister getting pregnant?

I must ask you not to insult my sister says Braulio. I don’t mean to insult anybody says Luci, I’m just stating the facts. I don’t blame you, says Braulio, it was Connie who decided to sell himself to be the father of a son who was not his. Well, I’m glad you don’t hate me says Luci, but you will. Because I’ve discovered the bastard child and now I’m going to destroy her.

Alex is still trying to persuade Mili. He says you are marrying Hugo just to hurt me. I love you. You did, says Mili, but that’s over. I won’t let you marry my cousin, says Alex, I love you! and he forces a kiss on her. Mostly she resists, then she kinda melts, then she resists again. What do you think you’re doing? she says, pushing him away. I’m engaged! I’m capable of anything to get you back says Alex. I’d carry you away, I’d shout “I love you!” Big deal, says Mili, and what about that hot kiss with Pilar? Oh that’s what it’s about, says Alex. You’re jealous! Pilar means nothing to me. Mili’s look says “yeah, right!”

Luci is still in unloading on Braulio. That’s confirmed my suspicions, she says. It must be the alcohol speaking says Braulio. I’m not drunk! Says Luci. Your behavior would suggest otherwise says Braulio. She slaps him. He is stony-faced. React! She screams. Quit pretending! I know she’s your niece and I’m going to destroy her. Slap! He doesn’t react. React! She slaps him again twice. This time he grabs her hand and says evenly, if you do anything to her, you will come to regret it. Finally you speak freely she says, that’s how I like it between you and me. I am here to serve you, says Braulio, but since we’re being honest, you should know I am capable of destroying the life of your son. Lucy says you do, and you’ll have to kill me first.

I have been loyal to this family for years, says Braulio, and I know a lot of secrets I have never told - don’t put me in a position where I have to tell them, for your own good, and for that of your children. He turns to leave then says, and don’t use the term “bastard” when talking about Milagros, or I’ll use it when talking about your son. If there is nothing else, I’ll go now.

Luci calls imploringly after him. Have some pity! Leave and take your niece – move away somewhere, far away from me. Money is no object, I’ll give you whatever you want.

Pity, tenderness, that means nothing to me scoffs Braulio. My niece will get what is rightfully hers, and your son , the true bastard, will discover that he has no right to either the inheritance of Regina or that of Constancio. With a rough, manly (!) gesture, he wipes a tear from his cheek. Con su permiso. Luci is left alone, stunned. She heads straight for the bed stand – no little flask this time, she grabs the bottle and chugs away.

Back to Mili and Alex. Pilar was my girlfriend, says Alex, and I think highly of her. But that was over a long time ago. I saw that big smooch, says Mili. Well, she took me by surprise, says Alex. That kiss meant nothing to me. Oh, I believe you says Mili because for you kisses mean nothing. But for others, they mean love, something you’ll never understand. She is starting to get tearful. Wait, he says, grabbing her arm. I told Pilar that we could be only friends, that I was completely in love – with you. She tries to run off. Wait, I want to know that you believe me, says Alex. I’m fed up, says Mili, fed up with all the lies. She runs off.

Connie is having a drink with Andrea in her apartment. We have to celebrate he says. I had a great day at the office. This super law proposal fell into my hands and it’s going to make me look like someone who is deeply concerned with the future of this country. You can read it if you like, but you won’t understand it. No, I won’t smiles Andrea. It’s something being right all the time like I am, says Connie. It’s a burden really, but I’ve gotten used to it.

I’ve sent it to the party head, says Connie. It’s going to make me a force to be reckoned with in the party. I’m sure, says Andrea. They toast and she goes up to kiss him.

Mili is in the kitchen with the gal pals, Horacio and Socorro. She is telling them about how the convent doesn’t have enough money to feed all the orphans. All feel bad about it, but Mili says she has an idea – a benefit dance! She figures the owners of the Rodeo will let them use the space for free. They decide to go ask after work.

It’s nighttime and Rorgan is letting Vale and Pilar out of the car – they’ve been at a show. Rorgan is a little flirty and Vale says don’t be fresh, especially not in front of my friends.

Mili and the gal pals are clearing up after dinner, talking about her engagement with Hugo. The gals think he’s handsome but Mili says who cares, all men are liars. Heavy warning music – here comes Luci, glass in hand. I want to talk to Milagros. She hands her glass to one of the pals and tells them to leave.

You know what you are – you are a pretender, a bastard, who wants to take what isn’t yours. Mili protests and Luci says you haven’t been given permission to speak. Mili starts yelling at her that she isn’t a mute servant and that she has the right to respond when she is insulted like that. Shut up says Luci. I won’t shut up says Mili. Luci starts calling her names, and meantime Pilar and Vale are walking up. Luci calls her pobrecita, and Mili says maybe I don’t have any money, but I’ve got something you haven’t and that’s a heart. Luci says don’t talk to my mother like that, you are so naco!

Pilar says don’t talk to her like that. Mili is right, everyone deserves respect. Don’t defend her says Vale, who takes her mother’s arm and goes off with her. Pilar remains. Thank you for being kind says Mili, this family thinks a servant is on the same level as a cockroach. But not me, says Pilar, I like you and I’m glad you’re going to marry Hugo. He’s had such a hard time since that accident.

Well, actually, I need to talk to you says Mili. Oh yes, says Pilar, taking her hand, let’s go out to the garden and have a chat.

Rorgan is down in the dumps. He’s in the kitchen with Horacio and Socorro. He says one day Vale is all sweetness and light, and other days… She just likes to make you suffer for love says Socorro. Rorgan says he needs a new approach. Horacio has an idea!

Alex comes into Bobby’s apartment and flops on the couch. Mili doesn’t believe me he wails. Bobby says time for the grand gesture. Everyone should know how you feel. I don’t care about everyone, just Mili. Okay, says Bobby I have an idea. I have a friend…

Pilar and Mili are sitting on a bench talking. Pilar offers to help organize the wedding, but Mili says Hugo’s taking care of all that. Pilar says you don’t look too enthusiastic – what’s happening? Everything, says Mili. Why are you being so nice to me? she wonders. My father is a doctor, says Pilar, and you know how he met my mother? She was a cleaning lady in the hospital. Mili is excited – and they married? Yes. And they’re still together? No, says Pilar, but they had many happy years. Then they stopped understanding one another. They split and my mother lives with her new husband in Barcelona. Oh, says Mili, their different social background finally broke them up? No, says Pilar, it was nothing like that – are you worried about that? I’m worried about everything, says Mili, I’m very confused. [I’m confused at this juncture too – Pilar is being very kind and it doesn’t seem phony.] Is it about Alex? Pilar asks. Are you in love with him? I have to know, says Mili, did he tell you that he is in love with me? Of course not, says Pilar, where did you get that? [Aha! I just got unconfused. Damn, she’s good.] Alex, says Mili. But Alex wouldn’t lie like that, says Pilar - he told me that he still loved me and wanted me at this side. I never stopped loving him, she says dreamily, and she wanders off leaving Mili a wreck. He’s a liar, says Mili to herself.

Connie and Andrea are making love – the phone rings. They don’t answer. It’s Luci, who miraculously knows the number of their love nest – ah, they’re together, she says.

We’re at the Rodeo, which is full as always, and Mili and Rorgan are talking to the manager. He says not here, this is a business, not a charity, but they sweet-talk him and say he’d look like a great guy, saving the convent. He is softening.

Luci is coming down the stairs, carrying her coat. Damien asks her where she’s going and she says out for a drink. He says why don’t you wait for Connie to come home? She says because he’s with his lover and I’m tired of being cooped up here. I’ve had a bit to drink, but I’m not drunk. She flounces off, Damien pops his eyebrows and Braulio watches from behind a pillar.

Bobby has been telling Alex about his plan. It’ll make me look ridiculous, says Alex. If you look ridiculous, says Bobby, she’ll really believe you. Okay, says Alex. Bobby says put this out and wait for her in the morning. She’ll be really surprised. I don’t doubt it says Alex. Good luck says Bobby. I’m going to need it says a doubtful Alex.

Luci is being seated alone in a nice restaurant. A piano is playing. She orders a whisky on the rocks which arrives in maybe 2 seconds. Closeup of the pianist’s hands. Holy cow, she’s going to sing! “They say time cures all” she starts up. But apparently they are wrong. The song mentions the icy heart of a lover. Slightly blurry in the background, a handsome fellow listens and nods. Pretty soon the waiter is listening and others in the background are listening too. And why not? She’s good and she’s really delivering up that song, seated alone at her table singing for herself. The song finishes and everyone applauds and she, slightly sloshed, applauds too, maybe not realizing they’re applauding her. The handsome fellow comes to her table and comes into focus. He says Luci? She is surprised and delighted. Nestor! she says.

Mili and the gal pals and Rorgan in the kitchen. They are back from the Rodeo – mission accomplished. Rorgan and the gal pals head off to bed but Mili stays for a glass of water. Vale walks in in her bathrobe. Are you going to start up again asks Mili? No, I just came for a glass of milk – what a horrible dress! Serve up the milk! Get it yourself says Mili. Until you marry Hugo, says Vale, you’re a servant here. I work for Regina, not for you, says Mili. Why are you that way with me? Because, says Vale, you and I are totally different. We’re not different says Mili. When I get a stomachache, it’s the same as yours, and when I have gas…. I don’t ever have gas! protests Vale. Mili laughs … sure. And when you go to the bathroom does it smell like roses? I’m happy, says Mili. Well, I’m not happy but it’s not because of money. Oh really says Vale, unbelieving.

Mili turns serious – have you ever had anyone say “I love you’? Well, they told me and it hurts right here – indicating her stomach. She is on the verge of tears. Vale looks serious, doesn’t have the heart for more insults and leaves without saying anything.

Luci and Nestor in the restaurant, laughing and talking. He says she is lovely – he loves her hair color. She laughs and he says he is glad to see that she’s still the happy girl from years before. She asks what he’s been up to all these years and he says work in England, Holland and just recently he’s come back to Mexico. He says the last time he saw her she was in Paris and in love with Frances. Francois she corrects. And I guess you married him, huh? A friend of mine said he saw you pregnant. Oops - the past has reared its ugly head and suddenly Luci isn’t laughing any more. She jumps up to leave. He says but they have so much to talk about, and he tries to persuade her to stay. But she says she really must get home. He gives her his card and says please call me. Adios she says and leaves. What happened in her life? he thoughtbubbles.

She returns to a darkened house and looks at the card. Braulio in a bathrobe turns on the light – can I get you anything? She rolls her eyes and heads up the stairs. Braulio turns off the light and returns to his room. A figure runs in – it’s Alex. He sneaky-runs up the stairs with something under his arm.

It’s a giant banner that he’s tying to the banister to be visible from the foyer. It says I LOVE YOU MILI and it’s signed “A.” Braulio lurks and sees. He goes to Hugo’s room, wakes him up and tells him to get some black paint and a brush.

Exterior shot to show us it’s morning. Mili is in the girl’s dorm just putting the finishing touches on her hair. Lina comes in all excited and drags her out to come see. Hugo is lounging on one of the couches in the foyer, waiting. He’s added to the sign so it is signed HUGO ARANGO, using Alex’s A. Mili sees it, is touched, and hugs Hugo. Alex comes down the stairs and says now what do you say? Then he sees the altered banner. It’s a lie! he shouts. No, says Hugo, I do love her and she’s going to be my wife. Alex punches Hugo, who lands on the floor. They stare at each other and … freeze frame.

Avances: Lina tells Mili that Alex is setting a trap for her and telling lies, but I didn’t quite understand what the trap is. Braulio tells Connie he better get a sombrero – to cover the horns. Luci has a lover!

Looks like Guapos is 2 hours tomorrow – check your listings

Labels:


Comments:
What a great episode! Thanks for the great recap, as I was watching without captions again. Guess we know who the baby daddy is now . . .

First, I was really moved by Luci's surprise singing. It had the same effect on me as when Paty Navidad as Alicia Ferrera sang a heartbreaking song in Acapulco, foreshadowing that she had real depth.

I can't believe Braulio is aiding Hugo--he is hurting Mili in the process. I am disappointed in him.
 

Thank you. I missed this episode. You brought all the important details out, and I feel as if I saw part of it.

From lower Ala
 

Great recap...Consti has not a clue he is being set up. His first clue is that Andrea is actually being nice to him.

As for Al...whatever
 

Amazing isn't it...that all these actors seem to be singers as well? I also thought the actress playing Luciana sang well and poignantly. Certainly made her character a little less hateful. Former swain is the fellow who played wortless dad in Destilando Amor....telenovelas are one big family operation I guess.
 

Vuelveme a querer, indeed! Oh, Luci, give up the booze and your social snobbery and I may yet learn to.

Fabulous recap!
 

Thanks for the recap! I loved this episode - especially the scene where the orphan tells Alejandro that he'll destroy him if he touches a hair on Mili's head. It was so cute.
 

If this Nestor guy does turn out to be Alejandro's dad, that is some good casting. They look a lot alike.

I was a little squicked by the orphan-bathing scene. That kid is certainly old enough to take a shower by himself. I loved how he immediately stepped into the role of Mili's defender, though. Alex needs a few more swift kicks. And a few lessons in the art of seduction. Like, a few tactics other than forcing kisses on Mili during yelling episodes.
 

No big surprise that Luci was singing since Laura Flores is primarily a singer not an actress trying to be one. I did think how quaint a fancy restaurant in the DF a fina woman comes in slightly sloshed and starts singing like it's a karaoke bar and no one turns a hair. So it would appear that Luci the lush and liar has also lied to Nestor who must be Al's real father or why else trot him into the story. Is there no man in her universe that this woman hasn't lied to?

Braulio and Luci was a great scene and he did warn her to watch her step. She is so scarily obsessed with Mil that I wonder how far she will go to destroy the girl. Braulio's jumping onto Team Hugo was a major disappointment. He knows that Hugo is a manipulative liar so why would he help him in his chase after Mili? If the truth never comes out at least with Al she would have the big house and money that are rightfully hers.

Yes, a new nickname for the not so nice Pilar. Actually there are several names being used for her that date back years but for this novela Snouty Spice will work. What a phony she is and poor Mili isn't going to see through her basically because Mili is a nice girl herself. Pilar like Andrea and anyone who follows is likely to win the battle for Al but will ultimately lose the war.

The casting on this show is really good, not just because of some of the real talent (with a few notable exceptions) but because people who are supposed to be related to each other look like they could be. Roxana and Lina, Al and Nestor, Snobby Spice and the lush. Even Bobby looked like the parents who are swanning off in Roma. It adds a touch of reailsm that is usually missing. Very dark Rod with all the fair Montalvos anyone?
 

Thanks for the recap. I must have missed something along the way. Why is Braulio encouraging a Hugo/Mili union? What does he have against Alejandro. He must know that Mili really loves him and not Hugo. OK, we know Alejandro has really been a player in the past, but Hugo is just down right creepy, manipulative and repulsive.
I just close my eyes when any signs of affection between Hugo and Mili are shown (much worse than Aldo and Lety)
I never thought I would get into this novela,but I'm really loving it.
Miranda
 

Add me to the group of those floored by Braulio joining team Hugo. I'm not sure he realizes that Mili is truly in love with Al (Regina is privy to the juicy details, but Braulio, not so much) and I suspect he feels that men like Al (and Consti, and Damien, etc) will never truly take someone like Mili seriously. Al has been quite a horse's behind to Mili and Braulio doesn't want history to repeat itself. Add his promise to Luci that he'd destroy the boy and Voila! Although Braulio is privy to much of Hugo's machinations, I don't think he knew about Hugo's part in Andrea's dirty plans. I think he sees Hugo as a kindred spirit (and I still think he has a crush on the boy...) that is willing to go through any extreme to punish those who have hurt him and those he loves (like pretending to be in a wheelchair to punish Damien for killing mom and Carmen). He also knew about Hugo's love (try stalking obsession, but I digress..) of Mili. All in all, Braulio may well see Hugo as someone who can protect Mili and aid her as she avenges Rosario's death. Al would probably be too weak in this endeavor (looking at Luci, Damien, and what little he knows of Francois - who he still thinks is Al's dad) and would simply submit to Connie's plans, like the rest of the clan always does.

Although young "Gamusa" could certainly have bathed himself, the problem is he wouldn't. Mili and Sor Cachete had to bathe him to make sure he actually scrubbed, used soap, etc. Incidentally, did anyone else notice that Mili's clothes were completely dry by the time they all ran into Al? The kid had just dragged her into the tub and we had seen her soaking wet...Ah, continuity...and yet, I absolutely love this show. I especially loved Mili's adaptation of Shylock's "has the Jew not eyes?" speech from Merchant of Venice when confronting Val. She may not have been as eloquent, but she made her point and sent Val crying.

I'll place my bet on Nestor for Al's real dad. Luci has the most bizarre sense of reality I've seen. She breaks up with the man she loves and re-unites with her old flame, only to dump him as well. When dad tries to marry her off, she goes to Francois. Going to Nestor would have made far more sense since her dad might have actually let her marry the guy, and he was Al's actual dad!!! Even though Francois believes her lies and is willing to marry her and fight for her, she ends up doing what dad told her to do in the first place! And when Francois starts coming around trying to hook up with her son, she tells Connie. Wouldn't it have made more sense to simply tell Francois the truth? "Sorry, I made the whole thing up, he's not yours after all, so you can just go back to France and forget the whole mess ever happened." Instead, she ends up destroying the life of her one true love because she can't go back on her fib? This woman is just plain crazy. Is it any wonder her son can't believe Mili? He's grownup surrounded by so many lies, the truth must sound weird.

I think Laura Flores started as an actress and then started recording, but I could be wrong. The first thing I ever saw her in was "El Derecho de Nacer" (The Right to be Born) where she was supposed to be college-aged. A few years later, she started singing a song about how she fell in love in high school ;) She's pretty decent in both.
 

Margarita,
Thanks so much for all your thoughts,re:Braulio/Hugo/Mili. Threatening to destroy Alejandro in order to protect Mili against Luci is a really goood point.
I am constantly amazed at the absurdity of some novela story lines juxtaposed with these extremely talented actors who always seem to pull it off.
Thanks again,
Miranda
 

The problem between Mili & Hugo is one of stupid youth...I mean I remember being her age and dating my friend's boyfriend's friend, just cause I wanted to have a boyfriend..It is great when you are with a crowd, yuck those alone times. Yeah I usually pulled the plug at about two weeks.
 

Okay Beckster...time to write your memoirs. One day a week is not enough of your off- the -wall humor...I want a book! and "sin tapujos"
 

Laura Flores actually did start as a singer in a group called Hermanos y Amigos which had a lot of her family in it. They did a lot of touring in Europe but then after a few years she did go to acting school. All of this was in the late 70's and early 80's. I've always thought she was a bette singer than actress.
 

I had heard of this group (though I'm not sure I've ever actually heard their music), but I don't know if I ever knew Laura Flores was part of the clan =) Ya learn something new every day.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder