Friday, April 25, 2008

Guapos Thursday April 24th 2008: Handsome prince girds loins to win fair maid

Alex and the brunette have thrown pebbles into the Pool of Bottomless Sorrow. They tell each other how sad they are. Alex introduces himself, but the brunette doesn’t want to give her name. She walks off.

Dios mio! - Braulio has found Mili passed out on the chair in the foyer. He smells alcohol on her, wakes her up and wants to get her out before anyone sees. Too late – Luci is on the stairway and tells him not to touch her. Connie is coming down the stairs – Luci tells him look at that – she’s blotto, you’ve got to fire her because that’s one thing I can’t tolerate in my house. I guess only one lush per household is some kind of city code. Connie says he’ll take appropriate measures.

Alex joins the brunette at her new spot by the little pool. Oddly, she is wearing a turtleneck on a sunny day. He says he is worried because she looks really upset. You have no idea, she says, and walks off again.

Braulio is giving Mili some hot coffee to work off her drunk. Her little cap is still not pinned down straight. Mili protests that she didn’t drink, but Braulio says appearances sure indicated the contrary – a bottle, the smell, etc. Mili says it was probably a trick of Luci’s. Braulio says maybe.

Alex is just getting into his giant black car and the brunette approaches him and apologizes – she thought he was a fast guy. He invites her for coffee – she is hesitant. He says he’s going to a café nearby so she knows where he’ll be if she wants to join him.

The servants are lined up in the foyer – Mili’s cap is still not pinned down. Connie with Luci at his side is telling the servants that there have been a lot of problems with them lately and what he’s going to do is dock their pay for each infraction in the future. Luci butts in and says that what caused this was one of them getting drunk last night and sleeping in the foyer. Mili speaks up – I wasn’t drunk! You can’t produce even one witness who saw me drinking. Karla speaks up – I did!

Mili lunges at her - I’ll kill you! Connie orders her to the study immediately. Karla smirks. In his study, Mili says to him do I look like a drunk to you? He sees her cap unpinned and her hair a mess and he shrugs. She said it must’ve been your wife and then Karla. He tells her look, don’t challenge Luci’s authority in front of the other servants. I think he tells her that it was Luci who wanted her disciplined.

Luci in her room is talking to Karla, asking her to help get rid of Mili. Karla is all for it. Mili has been summoned apparently. (She still hasn’t pinned her cap down – isn’t there a mirror in the bathroom?) Luci tells Mili she’s getting docked 50%. Mili locks the door from inside and turns on the two – you’re a couple of cockroaches she says. You tricked me because you want to drive me out – well, I’m not going! Karla grabs her arms from behind and holds her – hit her, she tells Luci. Lucy strokes Mili’s face and then omygawd! she actually does slug her. You’ll pay for this says Mili and she runs out the now miraculously unlocked door. Karla smiles big at Luci.

Alex is having his coffee in a rustic coffee house – there’s a deer head on the wall. The brunette comes up to him. He smiles.

In the dorm, Mili is telling Lina and Gloria what happened with Luci and Karla. They offer to help her, but she says leave it to her – amazingly, she seems in good spirits. Karla comes in – apparently she hadn’t considered what would happen to her in the dorm after what she did. Mili, Lina and Gloria descend on her; she backs up to the wall. Mili tells the other two to go on out, she’ll take care of Karla. Karla plasters herself to the bedstead, looking scared and Milli tells her off and then grabs her hair and beats her up. Lina and Gloria listen outside the door to the thuds and shrieks.

Vale is walking on the lawn with her girlfriend Barbara who is advising her that she can have a fling with her chauffer, but love – no way. It’s probably just a sexual attraction, she counsels, so just have a one-night stand and dump him the next day. No, says Vale, I feel….things. My parents would catch heart attacks if they knew. I have to be strong – but oh, what kisses! Those lips! I have to distance myself from him – but how?

Just then Bobby pulls up. Vale goes over to him and says I need to talk to you and she makes eyes at him. He looks eager to oblige.

Lina and Gloria outside the door of the girls’ dorm notice that it’s getting quiet in there and they decide to go in. They find Mili, who now looks like a madwoman with her hair a mess, cutting up one of Karla’s favorite dresses. Karla, also tousled, is on her bed begging no no not that one! The girls laugh, Karla wails.

Outside Morgan is washing the car and Vale vamps by. He opens the car door for her, but she says she doesn’t need him – she’s going for dinner and movie. Here comes Bobby looking triumphant and Vale gets in his car, giving Morgan a look.

Back at the coffee house, Alex is again asking the brunette’s name and she says Bruma. He’s never heard that name before and she says actually that’s the name of her little dog who died a little bit ago – it’s been a bad year. She and Alex are smiling, which is pretty amazing considering they’re both supposed to be in deep dolor. She says it’s been a year since she separated, but her divorce became final yesterday.

Morgan is in the kitchen going nuts and Horacio is trying to calm him down. Vale will be mine Morgan swears, showing an impressive set of teeth.

Connie comes into Damien’s office and asks where Alex is – Damien says maybe Andrea knows. Connie helps himself to a drink and offers one to Damien who accepts, saying I thought you were still mad at me. Mad? laughs Connie evilly. I’m furious, but I’ll pardon you if you help me out. I know you voted for Alex because Luci put pressure on you – I’m not going to ask what pressure. Now I want you to put pressure on Alex to resign – interested? I’ll make it worth your while – wait’ll you see the check you’ll get. They toast.

Mili is talking to Regina in her room. Regina is urging Mili to take Connie up on his offer to pay her studies. Mili says she doesn’t want to take his money and Regina says then she’ll pay. Mili says no – she doesn’t want to be beholden to anyone. Regina says she’s stubborn, but says the studies aren’t super expensive and Mili could pay out of her wages. Mili says ha – Luci has cut them in half due to my “drunken” episode. Que? says Regina.

Over at the Rodeo, a guy I think is the owner is congratulating Morgan on all the money he is making – Taco Naco was a great idea. Don’t forget about me, says Horacio who is helping to count the money. But it was Morgan’s idea, the guy says, he has a head for business – put your money in the bank and over time it’ll grow. We can buy houses says Horacio – I’ll get one for Socorro and me and you can get one for you and Vale. Morgan considers this happily.

Vale and Bobby are at dinner – he is talking happily, but she is in dreamland, thinking back on good times with Morgan – the dance lessons, the time he pretended the car was broken down out in the fields, the kisses. She remembers telling him that he is the craziest guy she has ever known. She repeats this out loud and Bobby says Que?

Pilar and Hugo are in bed in the dark, cuddling. She asks him if he still has feelings for Mili and he says he feels something. She says she’s scared he’ll go back to being obsessed about Mili, but he says don’t worry, my mind is a blank when it comes to the past. Pilar says it would be best to get out of the house where Mili is, and away from the father that Hugo hates. I hate him? he says, surprised. Let’s go to Europe, says Pilar. That’s a good idea, he says – start a new life, have new adventures, make new memories – with you. They start to kiss and they go into soft focus.

Regina and Mili are in Luci’s room and Regina is telling Luci off. It seems Regina’s hair gets bigger every time we see her. She says she has Mili’s back. Luci says I don’t know why you support her, she so uneducated, so gauche, and now she got caught drunk. Regina fires back: The only drunk in this house is you! You drink on the sly and haven’t overcome it despite all the help and support you’ve received.

Connie comes in – what’s happening here? Luci says your mother has come in here just to insult me – ask her to leave. Regina says I’m glad you’ve come, a great injustice has been committed against Mili – your wife set her up to appear drunk. Mili says, she put something in my tea. Luci says liar and leaves. Regina tells Connie that if he doesn’t get Luci under control, she (Regina) is going to insist that she leave the house. I’ll take care of her, says Connie, but you have to take care of Alex. Already he’s wrecking the company – some of the workers are bringing a suit. I know, says Regina, he fired them but then he reinstated them. Mili interjects: But he fired them again and they’re out on the street - your grandson has changed!

Mili’s right says Connie. He’s turned into a despot – you should drop by the office and see how he treats his subordinates. I can’t believe it says Regina. You should see how he treats everyone – me included, Connie tells her. You know why he let those people go? Because they wouldn’t respect his new authority and instead of getting a dialog going, he fired them. He just wants his ego massaged – he’s really changed, thanks to you.

He of the reportedly needy ego has arrived in his room – he flops on the bed and flashes back to his conversation with the brunette – he looks dreamy. Oh, Alex..no! Regina comes in, looking stern and says she wants to talk to him. She tells him he’s lost his soul – what he did to those workers is so bad, it doesn’t even have a name. But…he says. She says I’m very worried about you, I’m afraid to lose you. Alex says I’m under pressure, but Regina says if you keep this up, I’m going to insist that you resign.

I don’t want you to turn out like your father, Regina goes on. He became infatuated with power and he was lost forever. I’m not like that, says Alex. You are about to lose Mili – don’t you care? Regina asks. She fell in love with a different Alex. And she’s right – you seem to think you’re king of the world. Regina leaves. Alex looks tearful.

Regina meets Connie in the hall – did you hear, she said? Yes, says Connie, you should have asked him to resign right now. Regina says that every person deserves a second chance. Connie is exasperated.

Alex goes out into the hall and sees Mili on her way to tell Regina good night. She is very formal with him. He asks if she will come into his room so they can talk but she says ha! So he suggests the garden – she reluctantly agrees. He offers his arm, but she shoves him off and starts off alone.

Morgan is pacing inside the front door and Socorro asks where Horacio is – Morgan says he’s still at Taco Naco, and that he (Morgan) wanted to run home to see Vale when she comes back from her evening with Bobby. Well, it might be quite late says Socorro– you intend to spend the whole night here? She goes off and Morgan paces some more. Headlights! He tries to peer through the obscured glass. He stands inside the door, arms crossed, tapping his foot like an angry father. Vale comes in and he demands to know what she’s doing out so late. She reproaches him for speaking to her that way. I’m tired she says. Morgan demands to know how it went. Oh, it was the best date of my life, she says – Bobby is sooo romantic!

Out on the steps of the fountain, Alex is holding Mili’s hand and asking her not to treat him that way, to please understand that his back is to the wall. She keeps her head turned up and away, trying to look blasé. Alex says I want to be president of the company and to marry you – don’t ask me to choose between the two, because I can’t. I never asked you to give up your work says Mili.

I have to make tough decisions says Alex. Inhuman ones, corrects Mili. It’s not easy says Alex. I need your support to carry on, don’t abandon me. What does it take for you to forgive me? I know, says Mili, saucily. Live one day like me, or like the workers you let go. Think you can make it one day? Sure, says Alex. Okay, says Mili, I want you to be butler for one day, uniform and all, then I’ll see if I’ll forgive you or not. (There are positions a lot more humble than that – what an odd choice. Maybe it’s just to set up some future hijinks for our viewing pleasure.) Alex smiles and wags his head indulgently.

Connie is sitting on the side of the bed getting undressed and Luci is upbraiding him. He says I told you I’d keep Mili away from you and I will – don’t keep messing in with her. I’m sick of these discussions. Luci pleads tomorrow is our anniversary dinner – I’d like to have that one day in peace. She lists the friends she has invited – he is surprised about one couple. He’s in construction like you, she says. Well, says Connie, I hope you can get through the evening without getting drunk and putting on scenes. I hope you behave well with Alex, Luci says.

Morgan is at the kitchen table, flanked by Gloria and Lina. He is rabid – he is just sure that Bobby spent the whole time kissing Vale. Mili drags Alex in and says I present to you the new butler. They all try to think up a good butler name for him, one that’s plenty ridiculous. They come up with Agapito, said with a whistle. Alex doesn’t look happy about it.

The real butler comes in. Mili informs him that he has tomorrow off. Braulio says that he hasn’t had a day off in 20 years. Mili tells him about Agapito and explains you gotta whistle when you say it. There is only one butler, says Braulio, plus tomorrow is the big dinner. Everyone cracks up except Alex and Mili says it’s going to be a great job for Alex. Doop-dee-doop cartoon music plays.

It’s still dark and Mili goes into Alex’s room and throws a uniform on the bed – get up! He wants to know what time it is and she says 5:30. He says he never goes to the office until 10:00 (unlikely hours for a guy in the construction biz). She tells him it’s time to get to work. Mili keeps pulling his covers off and tossing pieces of uniform at him.

We can see in the kitchen window – the girls are dismantling Braulio uniform piece by uniform piece while he protests and Socorro enjoys the scene. Braulio says they lack respect. They button up a nice casual shirt on him. What does a person do with a day off, Braulio asks. We’ll show you, they say. They give him hip bumps and he even bumps back a little.

Luci is coming down the stairs, Karla in tow. She calls Braulio, but Mili tells her she has the name wrong. Mili calls him – Alex hustles in, and says you rang? Luci’s mouth drops open. Tubas happily fart in the background.

Outside, Gloria and Lina are trying to get the very stiff Braulio to recline in a lounger. Braulio has a cloth hat on to complete the outfit. He says in all the years he’s been there, he’s never used the loungers – the girls shove him down and he jerks and flails like he’s getting electroshock.

Alex explains to his mother that it’s an important experience for him – he needs to see what it’s like to take orders. Karla whispers to Luci that it must’ve been Mili’s idea.

Luci takes a fit – she says he’ll lose authority with the servants. Okay, says Alex, shall I serve coffee at the office, or go work at construction? Mili is very cheeky throughout and I’d be tempted to fire her myself, frankly.

The girls have put some sunglasses on Braulio and he’s struggling less. In fact, he says it’s kinda nice. They bring him a can of soda and at first he refuses, but then he opens it. They offer him magazines and he is starting to get into his day off. Maybe I’d like a telenovela with a happy ending he says.

Hugo is telling Vale that he won’t make the dinner. She remarks that they don’t see much of him and he says it’ll be even less since he’s going to Europe which he figures should help his art. Luci says no fun to go alone and he says ah, I’m not going alone. Luci seems happy for him.

Alex is doing his butler bit – complete with one eyebrow up. He holds his hands in front of him like praying (does Braulio do that?) Luci says you can’t be a butler in front of everyone tonight so knock it off. Apparently she has invited someone rich with an available daughter. Just think, she says, how wonderful if you could marry her – the joining of two giant fortunes. Alex does a slow blink and… freeze frame.

Avances: Uh oh – the available daughter is the brunette he met earlier. Tu? she says.

Labels:


Comments:
Missed the show, Maggie, but having won the post of Titlemeister, you've now added "turn of phrase" to your laurels...
"While tubas fart in the background" was a gem.
Thanks for bringing it all to life. I'll be gone the next two weeks and checking in on these recaps will be my only way to stay up to date, so I'll appreciate you all even more than I already do. Gracias!
 

PS Julia....regarding your comment yesterday. Yes, crossword puzzles are great but that didn't help my mom...or not enough.
Although possibly her senility was exacerbated by a surgery in her early 70's. Evidently things got dicey when she was under anesthetic...perhaps un undiagnosed heart problem, I didn't really get the details. So some of the memory problems may have been as a result of that.
Whatever, yes, keep doing crosswords, learning new languages and skills, exercising and performing service to others...all make for good mental, physical and spiritual health. After that, it's the luck of the draw.
 

My mother had Alzheimer’s too and it’s a very scary prospect. But that isn’t actually why I took up Spanish – I do ballroom and swing dancing and I hope that’ll help. The reason I’m studying Spanish is partly just for fun, but also because this is the language I should have taken in high school and college if I’d had a shred of sense. But when it was time to pick, I didn’t think Spanish was a “foreign” language because I’d hear it spoken here. Foreign must be overseas! So I took German and ended up minoring in it in college. I also took a lot of French and a couple of years of Italian. Note than none of these languages is useful in the Los Angeles area. Back when I was in school in the 60s, as I’m sure you all know, languages other than English were suppressed and you learned a language to be cultured, but not to actually use it here. Of course now everyone knows the best idea is to take a language that is actually spoken around you. Where I live, that would be mostly Spanish or Chinese.

At least I used my German – I lived in Germany for four years.

Spanish is a lovely, soft language, and I am charmed by the culture of Mexico and Central America. Also, it’s a terrific help to have TV and radio to listen to, so between those and the abundant native speakers, I have every tool to make learning easy.
 

JudyB...yes, actually my grandmother was very active and smart, too, and I suspect her Alzheimer's was more related to aluminum exposure from medical stuff in her younger years...but still, who knows? We do what we can.

I took French and Russian in school because those seemed a little more "exotic" or whatever...but I live on the west coast and work in the construction industry, so obviously Spanish is much more useful for me! Plus my mind needs the exercise. And, I like the way it sounds.

Speaking of the construction industry, it amuses me to no end that Alejandro considers himself such a great engineer and all. We have seen his office and it looks nothing like my desk, which is heaped with all manner of drawings and specifications and product catalogs. Plus, a company with even one building under construction needs a whole team of such people checking and coordinating stuff (working whole long days), so you know there's some group in unswanky cubicles downstairs doing the real work while Alejandro sleeps late and shows up now and then to wear a hardhat and sign stuff.

Alex as Braulio is kind of amusing, but I still wish Mili had made him be a maid. That is hard work, especially when the boss is poisoning you and stepping on your hand.
 

Al has become tedious in the extreme. Sure didn't take him long to get distracted from his one true love. Typical galan! Pond girl is sure to cause problems and I didn't like her at first sight.

The switch of jobs especially on Luci's big night should provide massive high jinks. Mili also seemed suspicious of Pond girl. Reginia is right it is time for Mili to get an education and drop the naco attitude. She has a good heart but apparently no tact at all. Couldn't help laughing when she cut Karla's dress up. She knows how to get to the trouble maker. I think Mili actually did unlock the door after the nasty scene with Luci and her drone.

Jeeze Pilar is just as needy as Karla. Hugo is getting all this action from the two sluts and if he knows what is good for him will never let his memory come back or all that action will vanish. LOL
 

Julie, Maggie...love all this new info. I too had a language background and I spurned learning Spanish in the 50's and 60's because at my high school it was considered the "easy" language...therefore for the less gifted students. (After finding out how many tenses it has and the number of different subjunctives, I disagree!)
And of course in the last 20 years I regretted that decision since it would have been much more useful (now) than the French, German and smattering of Russian I took.
However I ended up studying in Paris and Geneva Switzerland, worked in Vienna Austria for an American company and just generally had a blast in my 20's so I'm not complaining.
And 3 years ago, instead of continuing to say "Oh why didn't I learn Spanish" instead I finally shut up and started to study it.
And what a marvelous adventure it has been...and this site has made it even more fun.
 

JudyB, I had the same experience with Spanish. In our junior high, in the late 60s, you could choose French or Spanish, and French was considered the "harder" language. I ended up with French, and then took Spanish in college. I think French is easier, as it's more similar to English in many ways.

Spanish tenses and other things are quite different. French does not have a two words for "to be," for example. Spanish is harder!
 

Ah school and languages. I blew that one big time. In my freshman year in high school I had to take Latin (an all academic school). My father told me it was a good base for all the other Romance languages. I hated it and struggled through two years of it. I couldn't find a practical application (what a fool) By the time I was a junior i didn't want to take any language courses and my school also offered, Spanish, German French and Italian. I have kicked myself ever since.

I've traveled extensively in Europe and lived in Spain and Mexico but relied on my husband who was fluent in Spanish and German from his time in the military and college in the DF. He had an ear for languages so got by in Italian, French and Russian as well as Yiddish while I stood by and tried to look charming.

Back about 15 years ago I flipped through the channels caught my first novela and began buying Spanish dictionaries and books on street usage, and verbs and fell in love with it. I'm off in a week to Spain to help Spanish professionals with English. I can only speak English to the but outside of the program will use my Spanish gained from novelas. Hope lots of people talk about romance and shifty business practices. LOL!.
 

Judy B: Paris! Geneva! Vienna! Thrilling!!!

NinaK: But French is so hard to pronounce! I vote for Italian as the most beautiful language to listen to. Both these are helpful in learning Spanish, I think, because their grammars have so many similarities. I’m not far along enough in Spanish to tell how hard it is compared to the other languages I’ve taken a shot at!

DecieGirl: Wow, you’ve had great adventures too! Neat! I bumped into a novela on TV too – the end of El Inutil. I’d still like to see that one all the way though. That’s when I found out not all novelas are boo-hoo fests and that some can have funny bits.

I’m loving hearing all about everyone’s language background and travels.
 

Maggie, that idea about French being hard to pronounce is a misconception, I think. They used to say that Spanish was "easier" to pronounce because you enunciated each syllable, and French has all those silent syllables. But once you learn them, French pronunciation is no harder than Spanish--it's just a different accent, and you use different parts of the mouth.

Decie, I was always told that about Latin too, and I think it's a crock. I took one semester in high school, and I found it tedious in the extreme, and of no real value in learning other languages. Latin has all those declensions that NONE of the romance languages use--so why bother learning them. Just the thought makes me shudder.

Unless you were going to study Latin for Latin's sake--e.g., to read the classics, I can't see the point.
 

NinaK – French was harder for me to pronounce, but maybe that’s just me! My father made me take Latin the 9th grade and I hated it with a passion. However, it turned out to be a good start for language learning as I hadn’t even thought about how English is put together. Also, in German you do decline the nouns, or at least their articles, so it was helpful to get me started on that. On the whole, though, I’d advise a kid to skip Latin and get right on to the good stuff – something you can speak with others and have fun with!
 

I'm having the most fun reading about all your language and travel experiences.
Thankfully, my high school had two courses they required anyone college-bound to take.
1. typing
2. Latin and Greek derivitives
We learned all the Latin and Greek prefixes and suffixes and boy, after that you could really nail the SAT's and Reading Comprehension tests. Too bad it didn't help my math skills!
And yes, Maggie, I agree...learning how to do a good Frend "r" plus how to pronounce well any word with an "u" in it takes a lot of work...but once you've got it, it's a beautiful language to speak. I have found that people with musical skills usually can "get" the sounds of a foreign language better than those with no talent in that area.
 

Hello to all =)

I had a thought about the nuns who had no dementia: They continue to do physical work (cleaning, crafts, passing out communion, collecting alms) until their body gives out (no time to watch telenovelas, LOL). They also continue to read, teach, etc, along with prayer and meditation. I'd imagine this helps keep their bodies and minds in respectable shape. Depending on your family history, it's good to keep an eye on such things and make sure you eat right, exercise, and try to learn something new whenever you can. Sounds obvious, and yet it can be very difficult to do and old habits sometimes dies hard.

I have no frame of reference as to whether or not Spanish is "easy" as it was my first language, and the first one I studied in a school (K-6 in Mexico, then off to the states) but I think English is the hardest language to learn (unless you learn it at a young age like I did) as it has so many exceptions. There's a theory that children are born with the ability to learn any language in the world, so long as they are exposed to it. I can ascertain that being born in a border area, and watching cartoons in English while speaking to my family in Spanish is what probably shaped my ability to learn what little French I learned in high school and the sprinkling of other languages I've learned since. The biggest issue in French (IMHO) is the nasal sections. Once you get past those, the rest falls into place. Someone once told me Russian was very easy (no clue as I've never tried) once you got past the alphabet. Of course, just looking at the alphabet is pretty intimidating. Latin can be very useful for singers (tons of religious music) and for folks in the sciences (lots of formulas and terminology with Greek and Latin roots) and possibly philosophy if you want to read the classics as written. On a totally useless note, I find it interesting how the same language can sound so differently depending on where it's being spoken. Case in point: Portugal's Portuguese can be quite guteral and sound almost German. Yet when Brazilians speak it, it's absolutely gorgeous. Go figure.

Maggie, I gotta say, you do a great job and really applaud you for picking up the language like that. In many ways, I think learning languages organically is more productive than just writing them down. I hated diagramming sentences in school (one day I'll learn if there's any benefit in this) but had no problem forming coherent sentences at the age of 9. This is because I heard it spoken, rather than trying to learn the mechanics. Just my feeling.

On to the Guapos fillers and comments - brunette pond girl (ok, I'll call her Florencia since we now have heard her name) actually threw her wedding band in the pond - guess when you have that much money you can afford to make such statements. I think they both bonded over their mutual grief over their disastrous relationships. Alas, we can see than for all his love, Al's eyes are still wondering.

IMHO, both Alex and Mili are just too young!!! Not just in age, but in maturity levels. Both of them led sheltered lives (he because of his ivory tower, she because she's never seen the bigger picture). The closest thing Al has had to a serious relationship is Andrea who did nothing but lie and manipulate. Mili has only dated two men - a womanizer and a psycho! I'm just of the school that people should wait and figure out what they want out of life before they start jumping into marriage. I'll get off my soapbox now.

I actually found it hard to watch Karla holding Mili so Luci could hit her. It conjured up all sorts of bullying incidents. For a bit of feistyness, Mili tells Luci and Karla that she's going to stay just so she can make their lives miserable. Go Mili =)

I agree that there were better job choices for Al. Actually, some 20 years ago, some magazine had a bunch of high executives from big companies use or help make the products their companies were known for. The only impressive item was that the president of Ford actually put together an engine (a lot harder than the president of Colgate-Palmolive having to do dishes). Al's suggestion of mixing up concrete at his construction site would have made more sense since he'd be showing his workers he did not see himself as better than them. Then again, we would have missed the hijinks at the house.

The reason for the whistle is that the Spanish word for whistle is "pito." Thus, they sayd " Aga (insert whistle sound) pito." I don't remember seeing Braulio hold his hands together like Al did, but I think that was just 'cause Al couldn't do all the different hand gestures Braulio does.

Speaking of Braulio, the girls actually gave him beer (he decided to pretend it was champagne so he could drink it) and turned down their offer of the newspaper asking for a "fotonovela" instead. I don't think we have an equivalent to these in the states, but they are similar to comic books and graphic novels. The difference, is that they use photos instead of drawings with the speech and thought bubbles near the characters. The storylines are usually contemporary (at least I've never seen one that wasn't, but I read very few) and are like mini romance novels.

Re: Alex's work schedule - I also thought it was strange that he went in to the office so late. But as Mili pointed out, the president can go in whenever he wants. Prior to becoming the big boss, Al would split his time between the office and the construction sites. In theory, he can do the planning stuff as well and may well have worked with the guys in the cubes with the big stacks of paperwork. Either that or Andrea's actually a good secretary and keeps all their stuff in neat folders that are filed away in their "to do" drawer.

I didn't dislike Florencia the character, but thought the funky dye job and nose ring were out of place in someone who was supposed to Luci's fantasy of a DIL. She does look a little old for Alex, but maybe it's just 'cause I've gotten so used to seeing him next to Mili who's so young.
 

Margarita, thanks for that lengthy and very interesting post. Great insights on language and on this show.

I was going to comment on the nose ring and hair dye also. She looks very show-bizzy.
 

Let me add my "gracias" Margarita...we all benefit from your cultural insights and your native fluency in Spanish.
And while none of us have the wonderful plasticity of the child's brain for learning languages, these telenovelas and blog sites are a great boon.
As adults, we all have different learning styles. Clearly none of us here are into grammar but I've had other friends in adult ed courses protest when the teacher spoke all in Spanish (which I loved!) and wanted more grammar instruction. So clearly some people loves rules and structure whereas for the most part, I just need to hear it and hear it and hear it until it becomes natural. Maybe it goes by one's Meyers-Briggs style...some people are intuitive learners, others latch onto specific facts.
Anyway, thanks so much for you "pito" explanation. I know I have "pito" on a vocab list somewhere, but it didn't occur to me when they were messing around with his mayordomo name, perhaps because I found that whole scenario stupid and unfair. I know the writers are setting up another infidelity (emotional or physical) for Alejandro by having Mili be so obnoxious and unsupportive during his difficult transition to the presidency but still....
 

Lately real life has been cutting in to my telenovela time and so I end up watching several recorded shows in a row on weekends and then reading the recaps and comments for each. Because of this, I have missed the opportunity to make timely comments, but I wanted to express my appreciation for the discussions on this novela. My main reason for watching is learning Spanish and as several have pointed out, it’s a really good way to increase basic vocabulary and listening comprehension. I really enjoy the discussions on the learning experience and the discussions earlier this week on keeping your brain active to ward off Alzheimers. My grandmother died a few weeks ago after a long and heartbreaking battle with this awful disease. I’m 43 and I share the desire to focus on mental and physical activity to delay/avoid a similar fate. Learning a new language is great exercise for the brain!

I really enjoy this novela, although recently it has had some trying moments. I like the overall tenor and the comments it inspires. I don’t get overly invested in the characters and therefore can’t relate to some of the more emotional comments expressed by commenters in other novelas. Ok, I have been known to tear up a time or two over a touching scene, just never wished to see someone suffer a horrible death because of their misdeeds! I’m such a delicate flower :) But I’m probably enjoying this one because of what seems to be similar interests in learning the language, the culture, and a basic curiosity of what’s going on in the world. So thanks to everyone, recappers and commenters alike!
 

I love your recaps! if it wasn't for you i would have missed so many shows! Your recaps are better than the real deal, you make me want to keep watching the show! keep up the great work!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder