Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Querida Enemiga June 24,'08 Perky, Plucky, Pretty and in Peril

Merciful heavens...this was a jam-packed episode. Can't believe I'm saying this but I could have used a little "filler" tonight. Guess they're in a hurry to establish all the characters and who the bad guys and good guys are. No middle ground here,that's for sure.

Wicked Sara is confronting wicked Señora Armendariz (did I spell that right?) at the charity benefit she's hosting...ironically for abused and abandoned street children who need a good home. HEAVY DUTY IRONY. DON'T MISS IT.

Sarita brings up the orphanage, and Madre Asuncion but the señora doesn't cave. When she hears the nun has died, she says "forget it", no witnesses. Sorry. Sara ups the pressure asking why she's rejected when all she wants is a home, a family. Faux Abuela is tough, refusing to be manipulated by Sara's "cheap melodrama" and adds that her father stopped being her son ages ago.

Ah, so your son is my father and I deserve his name, pounces Sara. What about my mother? Nowhere. And what about proof, says granny. Don't worry, it's "bien guardado" (in a safe place) Sara is determined to stay and watch the style show and she does, distracting the señora mightily.

We get a little relief from this face-off with a shot of Lorena dreaming of Alonso. For some reason they play cartoon-type music during this segment.

Now galan Alonso is arguing with his sister Paula about using her daughter, Bettina, to manipulate Dario, estranged husband. Easy for you to say, you're a bachelor, she shrieks. (this lady is as annoying as Paula (Juan Querendon) when she starts yelling...which is often) He's got plenty of money for his girlfriend, tell him to give ME more.

Well, she has a point. Girlfriend Jacqueline, wicked assistent to wicked abuela, is lobbying for one of the expensive dresses being modeled in the benefit-the-street-kids fashion show. And of course he's only too ready to buy it for her.

Okay, now to the poor folks who have a close loving relationship to make up for their lack of cash. And we find out that the two kids aren't his, and THEIR baby died at birth. Okay, for sure, it's Lorena and wicked abuela smuggled her out to the orphanage, probably with the help of an equally wicked doctor. These telenovelas really make you nervous about the medical profession.

Daughter Diana (kid 1) is out with her beau who is horrified and nasty when he learns she's pregnant. Why didn't you take precautions, he screams (like he couldn't!? c'mon dude) He's just 30, he's saving to buy an apartment, a kid ties you down, he wants no part of it! He doesn't even know her family and accuses her of just getting pregnant to get out of the house. A real sweetheart.

Kid 2 is lazing around the house, watching soccer. Mom wants him to get a job. He says he's good for nothing. She says "think positive".

Cut to little pueblo San Martin. Wicked Sara is talking to Chalo, wicked bus driver . Sure enough he has a friend in Mexico City who can falsify documents for her. Sara finds him, gets the falsified documents to prove she's the real granddaughter and the games begin.

The reluctant abuela is having a conversation in the morning with her tool son Jaime. She lets him know Omar's whelp has shown up and imagine the scandal if this gets out. The nun talked before she died. She checked it out and everything fits ("todo calza")

Okay, I'm still learning names. Zulema checks on daughter Diana, who's not going to work, very unusual. Says she's got a headache. Mom, with mom radar, thinks it's Bruno (the scumbag who doesn't want to be a daddy) but Diana assures her it's not that.

And guess what, Bruno works with our hero Alonso, in the clinic for poor children, methinks, given that the salary isn't great. He wants to offload his patients on Alonso so he can brood about the fight with Diana. Alonso has time, in addition to checking his cellphone evey 5 minutes to see if Lorena has called.

Back at hell's kitchen, Lorena and Rosy are having a chat, I only include it because Rosy says she had fun at the disco like "un enano" (dwarf)...divertirse como un enano means to have a great time, but I'd love to know how this one got started! Rosy and her mom are going to cover for Lorena while she goes back to the culinary school to see if there are any scholarships. There aren't but she just misses seeing Alonso who's come looking for her. (WHO IS SEEING THE PATIENTS AT THE CLINIC FOR GOD'S SAKE?)

Of course we did have that cute scene, which you may have seen in the promos, where the little kid listens to Alonso's heart and guesses he must be madly in luv 'cause it's beating so hard. AWWWWWWWWW.

Now we have a second confrontation between Sara and her alleged grandmother. These two really look somewhat alike and have similar relational styles. They're clearly meant for each other. Sara manages to talk her way into living with abuela, as long as she agrees to be introduced as her "niece".

Sara arrives, gets the cold shoulder from Jaime, who no doubt wants the full inheritance for the son he has with his wife Barbara. Barbara, who has this horrible high voice, is intrigued. She's obviously bored blue with her life of leisure in the home. Sara's shown to her room by Matilde, the maid, who proves to be a good source of gossip. She's the one who blabs that son Omar and a woman named Zulema are Sara's purported parents. Funny little scene where Sara makes fun of Zulema's name, and then throws herself on the bed, dreaming of the plush life she'll have.

Alonso is still obsessing about Lorena and his receptionist is in on it. Lorena and Rosy back in the kitchen are chatting and Lorena says Rosy reminds her of her good friend Sara. Rosy offers her phone card so Lorena can call but darn, there's only 30 seconds left on it so she doesn't find out Sara has flown the coop. Also in there, Jacqueline storms in, gets mad that the cooks are laughing and tells them they can debone 40 chickens if they're having so much fun. See...the bad buys are very bad and the good guys are saints. No problem.

And speaking of bad...don't wanna be a dad-Bruno is thinking of leaving the clinic. So what if he's helping a lot of people, the pay's not good enough! Same theme in all these telenovelas...bad people after money, always miserable. Good people value love and being of help, also miserable but only because of the bad guys. Eventually very happy.

Anyway, wicked granny is explaining her strategy to tool son Jaime. She wants to keep the enemy close, find out Sara's true intentions. Now we switch to Dario (izzat right? too many new names for me) who's with Jacqueline, gorgeous in her new dress he bought and clearly happy he's getting a divorce but horrified that he wants to bring his daughter Betina into the mix.

Betina is whining for help on math homework but mom's ready to play cards and drink tequila with her chums and guess what...one of those chums is Rosy's mom and Lorena's boss in the kitchen. All these people are related in strange and almost incestuous ways.

Lorena's getting ready to bed down in the storeroom when she decides to call Alonso (finally!) and inadvertantly sets off an alarm. She's able to charm the night watchman (wife, 5 kids, dog, cat, lost turtle) into letting her off the hook and he even ends up bringing her a blanket and transistor radio to help her through the night.

The tequila swilling card sharks are talking about men but only one of them admits to looking for a guy, and if he's handsome and rich, so much the better.

Their lively gathering is contrasted with the grim silent supper at abuela's house. (Rich people never have any fun or any love....you know that, right?) We learn about Vasco, Jaime and Barbara's son who is studying in England. Barbara's clearly suspicious about this sudden unheard of niece but Jaime and mom refuse to tell her anything.

Sara stonewalls her way into going to work with abuela the next morning, after getting insulted about her clothes but...big plus...getting outfitted with new ones. Diana arrives at the clinic to confront Bruno who hasn't called. Lorena spills boiling water on her foot and gets hauled off to the same clinic where...Eureka!...Alonso is called in to treat her. BIG BIG SMILES ALL AROUND. Suddenly that little first degree burn doesn't hurt anymore.
Whew...and that's it...other than a little vocabulary.

recaudos = proceeds, money collected

estropear = spoil, ruin

es un plomo = she a real pain in the a** (Jacqueline)

te trae de cabeza = you're crazy about her (Alonso/Lorena)

se ve a leguas = it's obvious

todo calza = everything fits

en algo grueso = in something shady

hacer bolas = mess it up

comodin = joker, wild card

divertirse como un enano = have a great time

Labels:


Comments:
Hey Judy was that you recapping? You were on fire tonight amiga! Even funnier than usual and so scathing! I'm liking how this one's going, it could lend itself to major mockage.

I think the dorky cartoon music that accompanies Alonso and Lorena is supposed to sound like Singin' in the Rain. But it's bad, very bad.

You're right, it sure is easy to know who to root for in this one.

"Divertirse como un enano" - OMG that's priceless. Thanks JudyB for the excellent recap tonight.
 

JudyB – I had totally forgotten that Enemiga starts this week! I can’t really watch two shows, but I at least wanted to watch the beginning and now I’ve missed the first two nights. Darn!

So here I am reading the recaps and I’m pretty lost as to who everybody is. But no matter – I loved your recap! What a lively, fun style you have! And vocab at the end too, which is great. And Chris is a hoot too, so I had fun reading along.
 

I know I'll catch on eventually, but I still don't have a great grasp as to who's who yet.

But I'm catching on. I like that they let reveal each character's personality by showing and not telling. Like when Barb gave Sara a particular look, that look told me as much as I needed to know about Barb for now.

(The Fuego version of this was to have a group of characters describe their character traits to one another, despite having known one another all thier lives.)
 

Thanks guys...I'm lost as to who everyone is too. This is my first time recapping from the beginning and I think I'm going to have to make myself a flow chart with Wickeds on one side, Goods on the other, and a "Could go either way" potential redemptives.

So far I'm enjoying this goofy telenovela and I didn't expect to. The scene in the storeroom where Lorena was tugging the heartstrings of the night watchman so he wouldn't rat her out was sweet.

Didn't say much about it 'cause by then I had a HUGE headache just from trying to keep track of all this new information. (okay, and a two-day hangover from the Merlot I drank while doing the final recap of Juan with my teammates.)
 

Hey, JudyB, what a superb recap! I agree, you were in rare form when you hammered out this one—what a hoot a second that was! Thanks, and thanks for the vocab—maybe we will have some dichos and slang here. At least it won’t knock us over with the lingo. Great title, too!


You did a wonderful job with names and relationships. Omar is the long-lost hijo of Hortensia—and notice how they live reeeeaallly close—close enough for the reluctant Daddy who is his daughter’s novio to work with Alonso, whose novia-to-be works for Hortensia. So, it’s not like Omar went far, far away, right? In fact, it seems that even though they live in the D. F., they all live in the same neighborhood—sort of like everyone did in Yo Amo a Juan. And, they’re all related, sort of. ;-)


Here is an esmas.com website with more “personajes.” There is no single source with both photos and names listed, darn it. According to esmas.com, there are three main villains—Hortensia, Chalo, and Sara (not in that order). There is a website devoted to the villanos—and there are two pictures I am not sure about but they might be Sara with long curly hair, or it could be Diana; and Chalo with a preppy look, but if they aren’t Sara and Chalo we definitely have two additional villains. Doncha love how they make everything crystal clear from the get-go?


http://www.esmas.com/espectaculos/galerias/8540/querida-enemiga-personajes/


Here’s an esmas.com website that relates to mobile phones, which strangely has photos of additional cast members. I guess you can download the photos? Anyway, the photos are helpful for some of the names. Some of the cast we’ll just have to keep hearing over and over to get the names and relationships. (sigh)


http://www.esmas.com/movil/mex/querida-enemiga.html


Sara is going to be easy to hate, indeed. She’s got Hortensia’s number, though. Allude to a public scandal and get everything you want. Very effective!


Armendáriz is right, and it does have an accent, according to what I have read. I did love that irony of the benefit for the poor lost children on the street. Do you think Sara will throw that back sometime soon? I’m betting on it.


So, what’s the deal with deboning 40 chickens? Is that the castigo du jour? Or, do they really have something to fix them for?


Jeanne
 

Thank you so much for a fantastic and funny recap! I especially appreciate the vocab. I watch the show without titles, and although I get most of the basic dialog, it's a godsend to have a quick translation of the expressions, which you can't just look up in the dictionary.

I wonder what I'd do if I were Jaime (I think that's Hortensia's son's name)- his mother asks him not to tell his wife a deep, dark secret. I think I'd tell my wife anyway. Tho' I'm not sure I'd want to be married to his wife in the first place, the way they're portraying her!
 

I commented to my wife a few times during the show that the novela law about there being only one hospital, once church, etc sure is holding up here! Everyone is tied into everyone else before the plotlines tying them together tighter have even started. When the kitchen boss showed up at bitter wife's house to start drinking I threw up my hands. They aren't even trying! I guess there are just that many fewer people to keep track of in the long run.

Great recap Judy! I haven't had the pleasure of reading your recaps before.
 

Hi...just checking in. Ferro, I've read your recaps ever since you started skewering the silly scripts on Duelo de Pasión and to tell you the truth, I said to myself, darn, I have to follow Ferro the next night and he's so funny. Tough act. So thanks for the props.

Hombre de Misterio....I admire anyone who watches without captions. I had to recap one night when they weren't working and I was practically down those folk's tonsils to be sure what they were saying.

However, Sylvia got me started doing vocabulary lists because she did them and as a new student of Spanish, I loved it. So I'm glad to oblige.

Some people don't watch the 7 pm show or read the recaps but they do check the lists, so we try and provide them whenever possible.
 

Yep different funny tinge to ya tonight Judy! Thanks. You all are going to have to forgive me tonight, because I didn't see this episode yet, and I WILL BE LOST with the characters. Oh well. Thansk again!
 

Thanks, JudyB. This is a great group of folks to watch a novela with...so I'll watch even though there is no Eduardo, Fernando, or Marcelo for me in this one. Que lastima. P.S. Do we have to cook to join in with this show ???? If so, I'm out.
 

Susanlynn! You're joining us? Way cool! No, you don't have to cook to join this show. You have to enjoy what others cook for you. At least that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Jeanne
 

And by the way, Susanlynn, Gabriel Soto is pretty darn good eye candy.

Jeanne
 

Hi, Schoolmarm. I want to hang with you guys again!!! I've missed you all. However, Gabriel Soto just does not tickle my fancy. You know what I like : tall, dark, and handsome. But...the food looks good and I love the recappers and commentors, so I will be along for the ride....or the meal...or the snark or whatever.
 

Thank you for the recap! I totally did not pick up while watching that the poor couple are Omar and Zulema. Not a lot of mystery so far about where this story is going, is there? But we'll see.

The woman playing Sara played a villain in "Apuesto por Amor" (not sure if I have that title right), and she was great at chewing the scenery. So she may be fun to watch in this one.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Thank you, JudyB! I've never had the opportunity to read a recap of yours and I love your direct slice-down tuit style! Being rushed to watch a second telenovela I wasn't catching many of the multitudinous characters' names, either, let alone some of that added new vocabulary. Thanks for solving the mystery of Zulema's name and Bruno, "el bruto medico ese".

Hope I can join your 6 CDT group of noveler@s along with Mad Buns. --And what a relief not to have to change my alias now since both shows are about buns and ovens.
 

Hear hear, multi-use aliases.

Hi Carmel, thanks for dropping in!

Schoolmarm, you asked about deboning chickens...I worked in a kitchen for a number of years and we went through a LOT of chickens and we bought them bone-in. Boning was the crap job because 1)we had to do a lot, customers eat a lot of chicken and we used the bones for stock, 2) the chickens are gross and cold and slimy, 3) if you poke yourself with a little bone it really hurts and you have to be careful it doesn't get infected, and 4) it's a completely uncreative job and the low person on the totem pole gets stuck with it. Basically if you look like you're not doing anything the chef will tell you to debone chickens to keep yourself busy. That or shell shrimp or slice onions.
 

Susanlynn and Jardinera...I was long gone by the time you all weighed in but delighted you're going to be joining us.

There have been times we've felt darned lonely with Juan, and missed all our old buds from Fea days.

That's why I started reading the 9 pm recaps even when I didn't watch the show...the comments are as good as the recaps so "it's all good" as they say.

Yes, eat or cook or both! Order out whatever, but please do hang with us.
 

Jardinera, it's great to have you here, too! Wow!

Sharkbait, I see--deboning chicken is the ultimate grunt work, and something Jackie can order them to do with impunity--it has to be done and she can diss them smartly by throwing this task at them. Very creative. I wonder if she knows that Maruja and Pouting Paula her sweetie's ex are BFF? When she finds out....ooh. Also, the previews suggest she's going to know that Lorena and Alonso--Pouting Paula's bro, are an item. So, Lorena is in for it.

Jeanne
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder