Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Doña Bárbara - Tues., Nov. 18- The return of Mauricio and Luisana

Sorry folks, I just do not have the time to do the DB recaps with the pictures. I will post brief text-only summaries to stimulate discussion. If anyone who doesn’t know Spanish has a specific question about what is going on, post it as a comment and we’ll help you out.

Santos can’t believe that Gonzalo (Comrade ??) is involved is in an armed group working against the government. He asks Gonzalo why he hasn’t tried to effect change by peaceful means. Gonzalo is scornful at Santos’ naiveté. Picking up from where they left off in San Fernando, Gonzalo asks Santos about Cecilia’s boyfriend and gets a “huh?” from Santos. Gonzalo also says he wants to propose to Marisela.

It turns out that Melendez knows about where Gonzalo and his gang are hiding out and an armed raid to kill the members of the group is planned.

DB has anemia. DB asks the doctor is she can have a baby and the doctor says that when she recovers, she certainly can.

Yippee! Mauricio is back! He is one who is buying Santos’ house to do some charitable work. He asks about everyone at Altamira. Once again, Santos’ doesn’t understand why he would ask about Cecilia’s love life. Mauricio is also disappointed to hear that Santos is involved with DB.

Back at Altamira, Antonio is desperate to reconcile with Cecilia but although she is tempted by his recollections of their lovemaking, she refuses to believe that he did not get Federica pregnant. She tells Lorenzo that she will marry him. She says that she loves Antonio but he is too young for her and would only stray again when she gets older.

Melquiades comes to see DB and they are working out their plan to take vengeance on Chepo and Melendez when Santos comes in. He is suspicious but DB claims that they were just talking about El Miedo business. Later, DB is asleep and Santos says that she looks so innocent but he has flashbacks to some of the bad things that DB did that Santos witnessed and he has doubts.

Federica has another quickie with Pajarote and she warns him not to say anything about their activities or she will say that he is the father of her baby and he’ll have to marry her. However, Marisela sees Federica and Pajarote come out of the hotel and she is instantly suspicious that something is going on.

The police attack Santos’ house. Most of the gang escape. Santos is arrested and one of the gang is killed by Chepo. It wasn’t clear to me whether this was Gonzalo or not. Melquiades witnesses the attack but can’t figure out what is going on.

Santos is being interrogated by Melendez and Chepo. He claims that he knows nothing about what was going on in his family’s house. Chepo’s voice seems familiar to Santos but the can’t pin it down until Melendez says Chepo’s name. Santos realizes this is one of the men who raped DB and he attacks him.

Meanwhile, DB is waiting impatiently for Santos to return to the hospital. There’s a knock on the door. DB tells Santos to come in but it’s Luisana. DB is impactada.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks so much Jean for hanging in on this one.

I really liked the scenes between Santos and D.B. She really seemed vulnerable, and especially when she had to go for the tests. What is really sad is that though they both love one another, it can never work out because she won't be able to change, and eventually Santos will not be able to accept her the way she really is. This novela is grown-up in the sense tht it shows (so far0 that love doesn't conquer all. NJ sue
 

I think that DB really loves Santos and you are right Sue, she can't change and deep down she knows that. But I don't think Santos really loves her. There is this intense sexual attraction, which plus the horror and pity for what happened to her has made Santos tell himself that he loves DB but you can see he has doubts already.

Put another way, I see tragedy in DB but Santos is basically an idiot.
 

Thanks, Jean. I'm watching pretty regularly now that this show is on at 9 and doesn't conflict with Fuego. DB is truly a tragic figure. Santos seems to be a good man who happens to be in lust with her. I'm sure that their relationship is doomed. I like Lorenzo. He stepped right up to help Cecilia in her situation. I hope that he doesn't die, but it doesn't look good. Fedrica is muy annoying. I hope she gets her just rewards and pays for her conniving at the end.
 

Thanks, Jean. I'm watching pretty regularly now that this show is on at 9 and doesn't conflict with Fuego. DB is truly a tragic figure. Santos seems to be a good man who happens to be in lust with her. I'm sure that their relationship is doomed. I like Lorenzo. He stepped right up to help Cecilia in her situation. I hope that he doesn't die, but it doesn't look good. Fedrica is muy annoying. I hope she gets her just rewards and pays for her conniving at the end.
 

I'm pretty sure Gonzalo survived. Santos' reaction to Gonzalo's plans to propose marriage was pretty funny. He verbalizes that she's too young, but his face says he doesn't want another man to have Marisela.

That scene of the Government goons raiding Santos' house was pretty exciting. This plot is THE BEST. The only repetitive element has been Cecilia's constant yo-yo relationiship with Antonio. I wonder if Cecilia and Lorenzo will really marry? Since he's going to die anyway, it could work out for Antonio and Cecilia after his death. But I'd prefer that they not marry. Although the scene with Lorenzo and Cecilia was so sweet and well written.

Having finished Part 1 of the novel, and my class being on hiatus until January to resume the novel, I'm working up to a post about some plot elements in the novel that better explain the novela. But I've been busy.

Jean, recaps without pictures are fine with me. And I really appreciate how succinctly you describe what happened. You capture the essence. And, to boot, anyone who correctly uses "effect change" in describing Gonzalo and Santos' conversation gets an A+ from me! The affect/effect thing used incorrectly drives me nuts.
 

Novela~~~Right on !!! I am constantly fighting with my students about affect/effect as well as advice/advise !!!!
 

Im so addicted to DB. These past episodes have been really good but of course they had to interrupt it with soccer. I am enjoying DB and Santos a lot more now. I think DB loves him, but she is still too selfish to sacrifice anything for him (her ways, her thirst for revenge) She wants it all. Santos used to want it all (his family and DB) but he finally made a decision. So I think he at least knows how to express affection better than her. Even if it is not deep love. I wouldn't call him an idiot, he is also tragic, because I believe a lot of this comes from a savior complex that might have something to do with his childhood trauma. It just hasn't been explored in the novela. I hope they do later.
 

Jean, dang girl, you cranked the last few out in no time! Thanks!!!!

Alas, it looks like the Altamira boys don't subscribe to the "bros before hoes" mentality. Normally I hate that saying, but it sure applies in Fred's case, and the guys are not being kind to their buddy (though in their defense, they did rescue his niece). Poor Antonio, every time he tried to talk to Cecilia I just kept thinking of that old Michael Jackson song (back when he was about his music) "Billy Jean." I kept picturing Antonio singing "Federica is not my lover, she's just a girl that says that I am the one, but, the kid is not my son..."

I seem to recall Gonzalo getting into the getaway van before the troopers got in the house. Then again, I was sure they had all evacuated and was shocked to see there was one left for Chepo to shoot. From the previews, it looks like he's getting his just desserts!

I wonder if DB will call in some favors to spring Santos out of jail. It would be funny to see him on that side of her scheming. Then again, it might be Maurice and Luisana that spring him, but it would be funnier if it was DB.
 

I still don`t see when Marisela will get the academic education I was hoping for at la capitale. As long as she hangs around Altemira she will never advance to the seniorita Santos wants- which
brings us to 2 poids/2 mesures..ie
the inequal demands Santos makes from DB & Marisela to be considered
seriously by him. I too believe
Santos early on was/is scared of his attraction to Marisela & purposely blocks it from his mind, until he literally feels threatened to loose her.
Gonzalo is the threat probably &
interestingly picked by writers in the same age group as Santos (is school friend) of comparable age
group... a wakeup pill for Santos
that Marisela-coming from a man is una muher of age to be married!
I personally do not like DB/SL
couple & qualify these last episodes as -The Age of Darkness.
 

Thanks Jean, this novela is so good, I appreciate the summaries!

What is Pajarote thinking?? He must not feel too guilty if he's willing to have a quickie with Frederica.

I agree that DB won't change. It's a choice she's making. She could change, but it would be very difficult/inconvenient for her and she's used to having it her way. So she sits in denial so that she can try to manipulate Santos and the situation. She doesn't seem to know how to love, but rather possess Santos.

Santos is in denial and in lust.

I'm so glad to see Mauricio again...
jb
 

High time Santos snaps out of it with DB ! He looks so grey & DB so old. I do not find her pretty & she
sure carries her 40`something.She sure is older than Santos/CM anyway. She is a good actress & borderline pretty for the role she plays..I am happy to see Mauricio & Luisanna back. Wish Carlos Ponce
(Dame C) or some dashing young guy would come to Marisela`s rescue & give a good lesson to Santos.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder