Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dinero 2-23: A ratty wig, blisters, and "The Road to Excellence."

  • Yesterday: Rafael is aghast that he appears to have said something Vicky could construe as a proposal.

    Marco is aghast that Karen's uncle is Jorge's friend and could help Jorge get his hacienda unembargoed (I don't understand about this embargo). "This all could have been handled in a couple of months. I'll fix it," the nice man says kindly and firmly...

    ... Marco, who is going to get busted if somebody inquires into this matter, looks sick as the uncle calls Jorge and leaves a message on his answering machine saying they should get together...

  • ... and it's becoming clear to Karen that Marco is far from a free man...

    Marco tells Karen: it would be better if her uncle did not get together with Jorge. She agrees to help with that, on the condition that he firmly break off with Ale, "and I'll know if you do!"

    AND he must be present at a dinner with her family the following night to be introduced formally as her boyfriend. [Looks to me like her family has more money than Ale's, why doesn't he just jump ship?] Karen calls him periodically during the day to remind him of her ultimatum.

  • Ale, dressed in a camel-colored suit and matching collar, is just leaving for work when Marco arrives, ostensibly to kiss and make up, and maybe even drive her to work, but actually he's eyeing the answering machine the whole time. She is brusque and takes a taxi.

    Marco manages to sabotage the machine - Jorge and sis never hear the message. For safety's sake he takes them on an all-day excursion out of town to be sure they don't meet up with the helpful friend. He sadly tells them Ale seems so distant; they are charmed and promise to help him.

  • On the way into morning meeting, the sales force titters watching Rafa hobble along behind Ale. They all think Rafael is making some joke behind her back, but it's really that his feet are killing him after his long, long walk back from her house to town the previous night. He covers, saying he just walked home from work.

    She admits to Susanna, later, that she's touched - especially by the fact that he didn't trumpet the news that he'd done her this favor; while she hasn't forgiven him, she can imagine a future in which she could. She sends the janitor over to him with some foot salve or something. He's touched.

  • Marino comes to work with a fright wig over his shaven head. Everybody makes fun of it and says it will scare customers and it looks like a rat's pelt. He snarls at Medina: "You just sold one car! You'll be out of here by the end of the month."

  • Uh oh, Vicky (cradling her teddy bear) is calling the priest to talk about setting a date. Her brothers and dad believe this is a real engagement.

  • Two guys in a bar discuss Jorge: "He was loaded but now he's so in debt." "You're lucky he's lost his memory or he'd remember it's you who convinced him to buy all that expensive equipment he couldn't afford."

    Evidently something fishy happened while Jorge and his wife were out of the country on vacation...

    I think Enrique Quintana (the fatter one) is planning to make a play for the sister, Rosario. He doesn't think much of her, but he's sure there's money around there someplace, and "where there's money, that's where you find the dog."

    Some poor guy who basically lives in this bar because he used to be a weightlifter but hurt his hand, and then his wife cuckolded him, and maybe his dog got run over too, comes over to say hi.

  • Ale calls another sales meeting that evening and is pleased to hear Rafa sold another car. He, however, is depressed, because he has to sell scores of cars to make up the debt he owes her. She tries to buck him up. He insists he's sure there's a great car salesman inside him; she says he better hook up with that crack salesman inside him, because the month's nearly over.

    Rafa discovers Moustache (Ramirez) has a huge stock of motivational books and A/V materials, and trades some of his expensive wedding booze for a "Road to Excellence" tape and a tape player.

  • When Ale gets home Marco is watching TV with Rosario and Jorge, all cozy; they sing his praises. Rosario goes so far as to insinuate that Jorge has been sicker lately and only Marco is a refreshing cure for his ailments...

    Marco tries feebly to cheer Ale out of her blue funk, but she can't get over his forgetting their anniversary. He gets a call from Karen and hisses, "I'm working on it!" [Breaking up with Ale.]

    He tells Ale he has to leave, business you know, but she is evidently as frustrated as I am trying to figure out just what it is he does. She says "We don't share enough," he says, "We must get married immediately!"

    She says she's in no condition, he points out she hasn't made time to see the doctor. She has to schedule her operation. She says she'll see the doctor and then they can set the date. She is very unenthusiastic. He cries tears of joy (and greed) as he rushes out the door to Karen's party.

  • When Rafa gets home, he finds his mother worried and annoyed to hear (from Vicky) that there is now an official engagement. He denies it, sort of. "Well she's getting it all togther - the dress, a party, mariachis... ARE you marrying her?" "Someday. I suppose." "She's obsessed. Did you make her a promise?" "They pushed me last night" "Well, I know you're less and less in love with her, and you have to tell her."

  • Rafa goes to Vicky's house, and manages to say "I'll marry you, but not now - how about in three or four years?" As usual he caves in to the inexorable pressure of (1) her screeching and tears; (2) her brothers' threats and knives; he sadly and with trepidation agrees to - four months! Vicki is very happy!

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks for the quick recap Melinama. I hope all went well at your gig yesterday. Still trying to figure out that embargo and what Marco really has up his sleeve.

That's right, been meaning to mention it. Ale does have a variety, at least a couple anyway, of neck braces. She has that brown and a white for sure. Possibly more than one of each color.

Ale is warming to Rafa. He is a good guy. Almost looks like he was a normal salesman talking to that one couple.

Marino may be trouble down the road, but that wig is sure going to cause his sales to drop. Would think he could find a better wig than that, like wearing a stray dog on his head or something. :)

Not sure how much I would trust anything Mustache gives me. He seems to about the only one on Marino's side. Hopefully Rafa still has some booze handy to give him and Julieta hasn't given it all away.

But, poor Rafa, only 4 months to live. :)
 

Melinama,thanks for the recap. I visited those sites you hyperlinked before. Looks like fun. I too hope all went well for your gig on Monday.

I am bummed that Enrique guy looks like he is going to be a sleeze as well as Marco. I was hoping he truly liked Rosario. I missed some of what was going on in the bar. Thanks for clarifying.

The last section of the show was well done showing scenes of both Ale and Rafa being pressured into committing to a date for their weddings. Vicky may be irritating but she sure is funny. And Marco does sleeze well.

I really like how Ale is warming to Rafa. The scene where she found out why Rafa was walking the way he was, was great.

That wig Marino was wearing was hysterical. You are right Jeff, it did look like a stray. I too feel he is going to be trouble for Rafa down the road.

Thanks again Melinama. I think this show is a gem.
Pata
 

I think this show is all about the chemistry between Rafael and Alejandra. I think they are very good together and she is a wonderful new actress. She does comedy very well and is subtle when she needs to be.
 

I really like the chemistry between Rafa and Ale, and she is definitely softening towards him and seeing what a sweet and caring guy he really is. Now, if only she can forgive him for the accident and stop accusing him of being drunk that night. Somehow, I think that will take a while.

What is Karen up to? What does she want from Marco? When we first saw her, I thought she was a gold digger, buts she's obviously from a wealthy family. And she could get any man she wants practically. Look at her! Is she just crazy? We've already got one crazy lady on this show (Vicky), although I would much rather wish that problem on Marco than on poor Rafa.
 

Since I likely won't have time to post a comment tomorrow, I wanted to let you guys know that my Thursday recap will be up late. I will be out Thursday evening, so I will have to watch my dvr recording and am not sure when I will have the chance to do so and recap. I will set up the page for comments and will get the recap up as soon as possible.

I wonder how many viewers and lurkers we actually have for this show? I feel like we are a loyal, lonely band of 10 people (including the recappers). Lol! :)
 

Jeff, " poor Rafa, only 4 months to live" LOL!
Melinama, thanks for the speedy and complete recap.
Barbara
 

I was wondering the same thing as you Vivi, as to how many people are watching this. It is such a fun sweet show. I will admit to being a lurker in the past. I lurked all through LTNVC. and semi lurked and still am lurking at Gancho.

I like are "loyal group of commenters and recappers." And I am enjoying this show as well as recapping.

And like Melinama, I think the chemistry between Rafa and Ale is the best. And it does make this show worth watching.

One question? how do you guys get your names to show up at the beginning of the comment? Mine always just says anonymous said...
Pata
 

I've been trying to comment every day just to try and bring more people in. Nice little show, but not sure how attached I'll stay to it. Trying to create a following. :)

Pata.. in "Choose an identity", I pick Name/URL. I enter a name in the the Name field and then it shows in the posted by or at the top of the comment. Others have actual ids or google accounts or something like that.
 

I lurk, therefore I am.

AmyK
 

Lurkers R Us and we appreciate those of you who recap for us. We'd be lost without you. But maybe we don't have much to say. That doesn't mean we're not out here enjoying the show.
 

I'm not discouraged, Vivi, because I like the show. We are a full-service blog, we service even the less watched shows. For each other... you lurkers - show yourselves so we know we're not wasting our time!
 

Oh, what a bummer that Quintana is turning out to be a leech too. These poor people seem to attract gold diggers like flies. I was hoping someone would get to be happy for a little while!

I love the symmetry of Ale and Rafa's lives too. It's happened several times now and it's a very clever writing tactic.

We certainly do have a cozy band of viewers. Feels like I'm watching it with a group of friends every day. I have a special appreciation for the lurkers since I was one for a good three years before jumping into the fray.
 

Sounds like we have a good set of lurkers out there. Welcome all!
Same with me, lurked for awhile before I finally started commenting sometime in FELS.
 

I guess I'm a semi-lurker, I lurk and then also comment sometimes- when I have time. On this one I've been commenting more and for the same reason - small group!

I, too, am enjoying this show, really starting to like it. The characters at Auto Siglo are a fun bunch - except for Marino, of course. Vicky et al are a bit over the top as are the hairdressers, but it is colorful.

I want Rafa to stand up to his pajarita and her brothers - but I'm sure that's going to take awhile. I hate seeing him cringe and cower like that!

Agree that the chemistry is great between Ale and Rafa, and the way they are building it slowly is nice.
 

I really dont have any thing new to say just wanted to see if I could get my name to show up.
 

Looks like you did it, Pata!

Also I am wondering what Karen is up to, she really does seem to have some kind of agenda. I think she's coming on awfully strong for just having met Marco - he's already her novio?
 

Yes, Flores, surprised that Quintana appears to be a bad guy. Still, trying to figure out if these guys really have that much gold to dig?

Ivy.. I was thinking Rafa should stand up to the brothers, too. But.. watching them take down the 4 guys that were accosting Vicky that one day, not sure if that would be a good idea any more. :)
Agree, what's up with Karen. After Tio's talk, I think she is probably getting on to the fact that Marco is not completely legit, but she must still think he has some money somewhere.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder