Wednesday, April 07, 2010

El Clon #36, 4/6. The Necklace That Goes Around.

Dora comes to the clinic. Julio told her there was some delicate matter, and she wants to know what it is. Julio says a lot of nothing, but Albieri interrupts and insists on talking to Dora alone. He tells her that she got her accepted in the best dance school in Los Angeles. Without her submitting her qualifications, without them seeing an audition tape, without Dora signing anything. Okey-dokey. Albi says there is just one catch. She has to surrender all parental rights. Oops. No, that comes later. She has to leave tomorrow. He’ll pay for everything. If she’s successful she can provide a better life for his godson. Dora says yes. She leaves and Julio asks Albi whether he told her the truth. He says he’s getting there.

Lucas is gazing at the necklace some more. Marisa grabs it from him and asks Rosa if she thinks Leo would let her wear it. Lucas snatches it back and Marisa leaves in a huff. Rosa tells him he should get rid of the necklace if he’s no longer involved with Jade. Rosa is willing to deliver it to Jade’s relatives in Miami. Lucas is not willing to give it up. But he promises that he won’t pursue Jade anymore, for the sake of his daughter.

Norma and Vicky see Osvaldo at the club and tease him about not being a sultan yet. He says it was all lined up, and Vicky asks, then why did he come back to them. Ozzie’s answer? Because nobody in Arabia speaks Spanish. The whole bar laughs with / at him.

At a bar across town, Chris has hooked up with Armando, an old boyfriend. He’s glad she called him. He never married because he was waiting for her, or so he says. She says she always wanted to be in this bar with someone who would say, “I love you and I want to marry you.” He accepts her proposal.

Meanwhile Leo tells Enrique that Diego’s death will always come between him and Christina, and he can never get over the guilt of being with her when his son died. But still, he can’t get her out of his mind, and he feels guilty for how he treated her. So he says he’ll still be her sugar daddy and set her up in the spa business she wants.

Chris comes home and tells her friends she’s marrying Armando, the Wall Street investor. Just then Enrique calls to tell Chris that Leo will pay for her spa venture. Vicky asks how she can accept his money when she is going to marry someone else. Chris assures her, Leo won’t just pay for the spa, he’ll also pay for her wedding, reception, and honeymoon.

Dora just found out that she and her son have to leave for LA tomorrow morning. So rather than wasting her time packing, planning, spending time with her mother, or getting a good night’s sleep, she goes out dancing. A bar buddy tells Ozzie that she’s going to dance school in LA and that doctor she hooked up with is paying for it. Ozzie struts out to the dance floor and charges that Dora’s son in Albi’s. Ozzie demands that she remove his name from the child; he wants it back. Ever notice that Dora’s hair is short at the club but long everywhere else? Is it supposed to be two different wigs?

Albi tells Luisa that tomorrow morning she needs to find an LA dance school where she can enroll Dora immediately, but he won’t explain why it’s so urgent. Luisa urges him to tell Julio about the mistake. He starts mumbling to himself about how he ignored all his ethical principles and sacrificed everything for the fame he craved. Luisa says, “What’s going on? You’re starting to scare me!” Start? Only start? Luisa must take the last bus.

Jade complains to Ali that Said won’t let her visit him without his permission, and that he says that she is now part of his family, not Ali’s. Ali confirms that this is correct. Jade goes to the kitchen and continues to plot how to be free. She decides to find out the combination to Said’s safe, get her passport, take his money, and escape to the US. She makes a speech about not letting him treat her like his possession. In all this, has she ever given ANY consideration to how he feels? She says that all she has is her dignity, and she refuses to lose that. I guess that’s why she’s stealing from her husband.

At breakfast, Marisa provokes a scene by asking Leo about the green necklace that belonged to Lucas’s mom. Leo doesn’t remember one, and Marisa points out that it was jade. Marisa leaves the table in a huff (she has more huffs than rubber band dresses). Lucas follows. At least they have the decency to argue in private. Unlike Leo, who comes in and involves himself in their argument. METICHE!!!

In Morocco, Jade misses her necklace and the safety it brought her.

In Miami, Dora’s mama hears that Albi is sending Dora to LA. She warns, if you go with him, you’ll never see your son again.

At the clinic, Julio refuses to lie or surrender his ethics to cover this lie. But Albi claims that the reputation of the clinic depends on hiding the secret of the swapped embryos. He says that if the truth comes out, his career will be ruined. After more pressure, Julio agrees to at least think about it. Albi tells Luisa that he is building a spider web to cover his errors, but he’s getting trapped in it himself.

Latifa tells Zoraida that Mohamed is fixated on having children, and she’s worried that he’ll take a second wife. Someone needs to tell that woman that bigamy is illegal in the US. Instead, Z reminds her that Scheherazade saved her life by distracting her husband with stories. Z counsels Latifa to distract her husband too. Mohamed gets home and Latifa distracts him with her dancing. (BTW, there is an excellent youth book retelling the legend of Scheherazade. It’s Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher. I strongly recommend it.)

In Miami, Enrique and Leo are astounded by the amount of Christina’s cost proposal for the spa. Meanwhile Chris tells Vicky that the “extras” in the request are to cover he wedding and honeymoon. Vicky decides she’d rather have Chris for a friend than an enemy.

Lucas puts the necklace in his metal lockbox and puts the key in his nightstand while Marisa “sleeps.” When he leaves the room she recovers the key and takes the necklace. Meanwhile Said checks his safe while Jade is “sleeping” in the same room. Abdul calls him away, so he leaves the safe open. Jade sneaks over and recovers her passport. There is also a big wad of cash. It appears that she leaves that behind, but later with Zoraida, she has it. Said hears when she drops a bracelet, so he goes to check and finds her in bed, with her other bracelet placed on the floor. He gently, lovingly restores it to the “sleeping” Jade.

In the big house, Enrique tells Leo that he doesn’t want to be his go-between regarding Chris. Lucas hears part of this and wants to know what they’re talking about. Leo blows him off and leaves, so Lucas finds out from Rosa that it’s about Chris. Meanwhile Chris is thrilled by the check and imagines the wedding blow-out she’ll have, to spend Leo’s money.

Marisa meets Leo at his office and asks him a favor. She’d like to wear a piece of jewelry from Lucas’s mother for her upcoming birthday bash. Leo takes the hint and apologizes, saying he should have already given her a piece of Isabel’s jewelry. He’ll bring her all the items today and let her pick one to keep.

Jade is excited that she finally has the ingredients she needs for her freedom. She says that it must have been the hand of Allah that allowed her to get her passport and the money for the trip. IOW Allah helped her rob her husband. I suspect that the Judeo-Christian Ten Commandments are not part of Islam, but I’m sure Islam doesn’t look kindly upon blasting the second commandment to smithereens (Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain). Jade implores Zoraida to help her buy the ticket. Z refuses as always. Jade begs as always. Z caves as always. Jade promises this is the last favor she’ll ask, as always.

At the house, Leo shows Marisa the box of all Isabel‘s jewelry. Marisa de-palms the jade necklace into the box, and then says, “I want this one.” Roll credits.

Friends, I need to say something and I’ll only say it once. Albi’s self-chiding, Lucas’s pining, Jade’s whining, Marisa’s conniving, Christina’s striving, and Luisa’s self-blinding .. it’s just more of the same and I can’t get excited about it anymore. I know that my writing suffers because of my attitude. I will continue to recap because I gave my word. But if anyone gets bored with my lifeless recaps and would like to take over one or both of my recap nights, believe me, I would not be offended in the slightest. I’d even send you a care package of some of the best Mexican pastries north of Baja to show my gratitude. Or to bribe you.

Labels:


Comments:
Paula: Your recaps are great but the real issue is that this novela seems to be a lemon. There are almost no comments posted so I assume that very few are reading. I think we should seriously consider pulling the plug on the daily recaps. It's no fun putting in the time and effort to recap a novela that we don't enjoy watching. I certainly don't feel like taking on the recaps solo. We could still post discussion topics if something ever happens in the story.

Hate to do it but I don't see the point in continuing.
 

Please don't stop the recaps, I desperately need them. Even though the story is going nowhere right now it has got to get better again. Please hang in there!!!
 

Paula and Jean, I LOVE and depend upon your recaps. I find them informative, incisive, and delightful! Please please PLEASE don't stop! My Spanish isn't even close to being good enough to do recaps, so I can't offer to join you. It's a pity that there aren't more people to share the recap duties. I guess people on CarayCaray are accustomed to watching the TNs on Univision rather than Telemundo. I watched several there, but I quickly threw in the towel over the current lineup. Even though "El Clon" is currently not all that exciting, I still have hopes for it, and even in its current state, I still much prefer it to dreck like the current remake of "Corazon Salvaje."

Sorry to babble on like this, but I really greatly enjoy and appreciate your recaps, and I fervently hope you'll continue with them.

BTW, for some reason I don't understand, Telemundo wasn't broadcasting a signal for quite a while, so I was unable to watch or tape "El Clon." I have no idea whether this was a very local problem affecting the area around Washington DC and the Maryland suburbs or whether it was more widespread. Since you succeeded in watching it, Paula, I assume that the problem wasn't nationwide. It was also fairly short-lived: the signal was back on in time for me to watch "¿Dónde Está Elisa?" at 10 pm. That's another show I wish CarayCaray were recapping. Oh well....

Again, muchísimas gracias por los recaps.
 

Jean and Paula, I too love your recaps and would be totally lost without them. I do hope you will continue at least with summaries.

This is the first TN that is half-way intellegent and not a remake of something else. I think a lot of the comments on the Uni TN is comparing the remake to the original which drives me nuts. I don't think they like the remakes and just like to grip about the differences.

Over the weekend I started to comment about Marisa's baby and it arriving a bit early. I am beginning to think that Lucas is not the father. Marisa a such a witch I do hope there is retribution for her if for nothing else than the distracting tattoos. She looks like someone's biker babe!

Mama Rosa needs a muzzle - nothing but bad advise from this one - and she raised the twins! No wonder Lucas has "issues".

I really like Christina, too red lipstick and all.

Again, please reconsider, you are appreciated more than you know.

rsk
 

When so few people post responses, we feel like we're giving a 2-hour violin concert to an empty auditorium. I checked the last five days. Juanita, Novelera, and Jardinera post almost daily. A few others post occasionally. Not counting Jean and I, we only hear from three or four people each day, so we assume we're writing about an, um, "uninspiring" novela for three or four people.
 

Paula and Jean: I also love your recaps and would be very disappointed if you abandoned the project. I'm really grateful for the terrific job you've done so far. As for the 'El Clon', I'm a huge fan. You know, it actually is a remake -- the original 'O Clon', was filmed in Brazil in Portuguese. It was then dubbed into Spanish and shown all over the Latino world. You can find the same kind of carping (It's not as good as the original...the actress playing Jade isn't as beautiful as the one in the original..ad nauseam) in the comments on Youtube.

I'm not sure I could do anywhere nearly as well as you ladies, but I'd be willing to try recapping one night a week. ¿Qué les parece? Whadya think?
 

I lurk everyday, but don't comment.
IMHO, El Clon is not as interesting as ¿Dónde está Elisa? Thus far, I only like the scenes Said are in. I too have hopes that it'll get better.

I wish I could recap, since I get English captions, but am at work all day, and am not very clever with words.

I think tns on univision are not as interesting or well-written as telemundo's. also been dvr-ing Perro Amor. besides the fact that they do not have cc3, the only reason for me to watch anything on uni would be William Levy.
 

I was surprised it was only you two who are doing the recaps for this novela, never think that the hard work you guys do to produce the recaps is not appreciated.
While i'm not watching El Clon i am watching the two other novelas that follow it Perro Amor and Donde Estas Elisha.Both are excellent novelas and put that CS crap they have on at univision to shame.

Unfortunately it's been said some people in certain areas don't get the Telemundo channel on their cable provider. I hope as Caray Caray continues to grow that in the future both channels will have recappers to cover all of the novelas.

When ENDA was on it had it's little faithful following not as big as the Sortilegio or the MEPS following but i guess sometimes it's also what appeals to everyone.

Thanks so much because i follow this novela by reading your recaps and sometimes i watch it a little bit.
 

NovelaMaven, that would be marvelous! Absolutely marvelous! Thank you SOOOO much for carrying part of the load.

Please e-mail me for details. paulah88@hotmail.com . If you don't hear back from me w/i an hour, it means your e-mail isn't getting through to me, so post a note here and we'll try Plan B. And where should I send your pan dulce (Mexican pastries)? jiji!
 

There was a phrase last night that I didn't understand, so this morning I asked my study partner, Paulino (he helps me w/ Spanish; I help him w/ English).

Now I forget which scene. It might have been Enrique telling Leo that if he doesn't want Chris in his life, get her out of his life. I'm not sure. Anyway:
Lo que no sirve, que no estorbe. If something isn't helping you, don't let it hinder you. Paulino says I should only use it toward objects; it's too harsh to use toward people. For example, when I started watching TN's, I was learning SOOO much more than I was learning in my weekly class. Going to class was actually in hindrance to my learning Spanish because it took time away from my novela, where I was learning new stuff daily.
 

Thanks so much novelamaven for stepping up to the plate.
I definitely agree that TM novelas are better than those on Univision. I don't hate this one yet but I sure wish they would get a move on the plot. I think of all the things that can make a novela unpleasurable to watch, failure to move the plot forward is the worst.

I keep wondering why the original version of this novela was so sucessful. From what I understand, TM is using the same script as the Brazilian original. Without any spoilers, can someone who saw the original say if that is so?
 

rsk: you may be right about Marisa's baby not being Lucas'. hmmm. she's got such a pretty face; not only are the tattoos distracting, but the hair color too - ugh! as for Mama Rosa, she needs to shut the 'ef' up.
 

I've never seen a baby from adultery on a telenovela where we didn't have some indication that the wife was playing around. Natalia couldn't have been conceived prior to the marriage and there hasn't been a hint that Marisa was fooling around with anyone. I think she is Lucas' baby.
 

Jean - en serio?? there goes that theory.
 

Paula and Jean:
Noooooo.....!!!! Don't stop! I live for your recaps!
There are many of us lurkers out here who don't always comment (Personally, when I get home from work here on the West Coast, it always feels too late to comment).
Maybe a third recapper to take some of the burden?
With Big Hugs,
Joan
 

rsk- Lucas or Diego as the father is the same thing. They are identical twins, clones from nature as it were with the same DNA.

Thanks for the support, Clon watchers. It helps. When I post a recap, I immediately start checking for comments. It's what makes the time investment worthwhile. I'm not seeking praise. I just want go back and forth with folks about the novela.
 

Jean, I can't even imagine the commitment of time for two people to recap a novela. Let's make sure we let you know you're not doing it for an empty room!
I remember during FELS, there were loads of comments, but a lot of them were personal griping, political comments and other off topic issues.
I know you have a dedicated core of readers out here who value what you are doing. And, I think El Clon is a great novela.
Thanks!
Joan
Joan
 

PS I meant my comment, above, for both our fine recappers, Jean and Paula H.
Joan
 

I think we should also discuss "¿Dónde Está Elisa?" It is sooo good. I usually dvr 10pm shows, and watch them the next day, but on this one (and 'The Good Wife') I lose an hour's worth of sleep for the next few months - ay caramba!
 

Novelamaven- Recapping is fun. You can give full vent to your inner snark. I'm always listening for dichos and interesting vocabulary to highlight so I think I learn more Spanish from a novela I'm recapping even though I watch it with the English subtitles. The satisfaction of coming up with a killer title is great, the more so for not happening all the time.

You will need to find the way to recap that works for you. I know some recappers take notes during the program. I watch it straight through without doing anything. Then I write the recap while playing the episode back on my TiVo. That way, you know what happened (if anything ;-) ) and what are the important parts of the episode. The biggest danger is getting too detailed and the recap taking hours and hours to do.
 

Jean,

Thanks for all the helpful advice. As for giving full vent to my inner snark...that might be dangerous! Ok, I'm seriously pumped. Let the recaps begin!

NovelaMaven
 

I'M ALSO A HUGE FAN OF THIS SHOW WHO APPRECIATES & READS YOUR RECAPS EVERYDAY. I JUST DO NOT LEAVES COMMENTS. SO PLEASE CONTINUE THESE RECAPS THEY ARE SOOOO HELPFUL & I LOOK FORWARD TO THEM.
 

I'm glad you are thinking of continuing to recap, since so many people seem to depend on it. However, I'm not sure why recapping is necessary when there are captions in English. I do understand that recapping a telenovela is a great way to learn Spanish in a hurry, but I'm not sure how you do that if you are relying on English captions. Wouldn't it be just as helpful (and much less work) to have a discussion forum where everyone can talk about what is happening?

In answer to Jean's question about the original, I did see it, I liked it a lot, and I'm not sure that the basic story here is different. But the casting and acting were better (in my opinion). It also helped, of course, that the protagonists were falling in love with each other in real life, and did get married after the series was over. It provided a lot of chemistry that seems to be missing here. In real life, they had a child, but then divorced. Que lastima. There is also a lot missing in the ambience here. It's hard to explain. It seemed so much more exotic, but maybe that's because at the time it was new and so different from the usual telenovela (as Brazilian ones tend to be). And the music in the original was fabulous. I have several CDs of that music. This one has a continuous "Gypsy Kings" type track or two that is getting really boring.

I hope this is not too negative or ruining anything that people are really enjoying. I watched it at first, but now I tape it once in awhile and fast forward through it to see how it's going. I would never have said anything if Jean had not asked. But I am in agreement with those who have said that "Donde Esta Elisa?" is much better than this telenovela.
 

Paula H and Jean: You know I understand both sides of the recapping situation and can appreciate the frustrations at times. Lord knows I find CS 2009 can be a struggle, not to mention how FELS dragged at times. I would have offered with this one, but I get no captions at all when it streams (the only way I can watch) and I cannot get it till the day after it's aired which is too late. The audio definitely isn't up to snuff off their site, so I miss half the conversation when they race through dialog sometimes--not to mention the accents! So I am doubly appreciative of your efforts. You are both doing such a wonderful job and now that novelamaven is kind enough to help with the load I hope you will reconsider. She will be just as appreciated!

I am hooked on the novela and look forward to the chuckles and the spin you both put on things. You bring up points of view that are so spot on and you've even taken the time to uncover various of the cultural nuances that make a world of difference when viewing. Please don't think that you're efforts have gone unnoticed!

The story may have slowed a bit, but things are just about to pop I think. I am wondering if this is the one thing that Jade will finally get away with. She cannot be kept a prisoner in a foreign land (as she and I see it) for the entire novela--or can she? As for Dora going to L.A. --will she? Are we about to enter a new stage in the story? Will Jade ever see or appreciate the love Ali and Said have for her, or the way Zoraida risks herself for her? Zoraida is like a second mother to her and is willing time and again to go against all she holds dear to make her happy. Jade is not the typical weak-willed heroine and she's continually fighting for what she wants --her freedom back. That is admirable in a way, though, she's breaking all the rules of decency to obtain it. Who of us in a similar situation might not do the same?

Anyway, what you do for us IMHO is a "mitzvah" --a good deed- and so a million times thank you!!
 

Jean and Paula - thanks for your recaps. I have been watching El Clon and have appreciated the recaps. However, I would not blame you for giving up. I'm considering not watching El Clon anymore. It's going absolutely nowhere. I'm also tired of Lucas and Jades inability to move on with life. We get the same old, same old with Albieri, Dora and the small el clon all the time. The other characters have also stalled in frozen non-motion.

Let's hope that there is some development in the story soon!

Lynne
 

YES! THE RECAPS ARE NECESSARY. I LOVE THE RECAPS BECAUSE IT'S A QUICKER WAY OF GETTING A SUMMARY OF THE WHOLE SHOW THAN A FORUM. TO ME A FORUM TAKES TOO MUCH TIME TO READ. PLUS I ENJOY THE WITTY COMMENTS FROM THE RECAPPERS. ALSO I
UNFORTUNATELY DON'T RECEIVE THE ENGLISH SUBTITLES ON MY TELEVISION & I'M SURE THERE ARE OTHERS IN THE SAME BOAT.
I TOO WOULD LOVE TO RECAP BUT MY SPANISH ISN'T GOOD. SO PLEASE CONTINUE BECAUSE I TOO I'M ANOTHER LURKER WHO NEVER LEFT A COMMENT UNTIL TODAY. I FAITHFUL READ YOUR RECAPS I APPRECIATE & LOVE THEM.
ALSO, I JUST LOVE THIS SHOW & KNOW IT WILL GET BETTER.
 

In response to Anonymous 6:55, many people (including me) do NOT have English captions available. Even if I did, I'd probably choose to use Spanish captions so I can get a better idea of what words I didn't catch.

Though I enjoy the discussion that takes place after each recap, the recap itself is essential for me. A forum wouldn't be nearly as useful, at least not for me. The recap offers ample opportunity for discussion in addition to the recap, so for me it's the best of both worlds.
 

To anonymous 6:55- As Juanita said, not everyone gets the English subtitles. We tried having a discussion forum when Pasion de Gavilanes was on and then La Traicion started out that way. It didn't seem to work very well. People needed the recap to provoke discussion.
 

Anonymous 7:20, thank you for coming out of lurkdom and joining the party! Welcome! May I ask one small favor of you? When you type in all capital letters, it feels like you're shouting, and it can be hard on the eyes. May I ask that you use lower case? I've dealt with some people who use all cap's because they're not using a regular keyboard and it's hard to shift. In that case, all lower case is much better than all upper case. Other people use all-caps because of vision problems. If that's the case, I can explain to you how to magnify the page instead.

Thank you so much, and we look forward to your future comments.
 

Anon Wed Apr 07, 06:55:00 PM EDT - you're quite right; I don't feel the chemistry b/w Jade and Lucas either. I am hoping Jade would love Said a little bit. I only saw 2-3 episodes of original on you tube, and that Said was also hot! someone else mentioned the original Jade was prettier, but I disagree; she looked older.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder