Friday, May 07, 2010

El Clon #57, 5/6. Enrique falls back, the lovebirds fall into bed, the harpy’s falling out, and no one falls for Jade’s lie.

Jade and Lucas fall into each other’s gaze, into their arms, into their bed.

At the party everyone wonders where Lucas is. Nati gives Fernando his present, a shirt. He thanks her and heads to the door. Andrea heads him off; what about his gift for Nati? Fernando didn’t get a gift for Nati; he got a gift for his novia Aisha. Carolina announces to her friends that Enrique is perfect in every way. Chipper Marissa says he must just be hiding his flaws well.

At Little Morocco Latifa frets about Jade being missing. The kids and the Naz are on the balcony watching the rowdy neighbors. Gloria tells Pablo to go invite them all to her party. Mohamed at first refuses, but Tio Ali counsels that Christmas is a time of peace and harmony for the westerners, and we should at least accept their kindness. Gloria proudly presents them her suckling pig, but Ali refuses because he can’t eat pork. Meanwhile Nariza proudly presents herself in dance to one of the party guests who has seen half as many new years as Nariza. Mohamed hustles her away under protest.

Ozzie sees Dora and remembers how happy he was with her, and wonders if he’ll ever be able to forgive her. Psssssst! Ozzie! Yes! In the final week of the series.

Enrique has been enjoying the wassail and is feeling no pain. Leo tells him to stop drinking. Enrique blows him off and dances with Carolina. Marisa implies to Leo and Nati that she’s sure Lucas is with a woman.

In the love nest, the fire quenched, Jade is thinking clearly again and says, “What am I doing? I shouldn’t be here!” A little late for that idea, Tutz. I decided to transcribe their whole conversation because it’s very significant. Not necessarily for what they said, but simply the fact that they said something more than, “Jade?” “Lucas?”

Lucas: You’re the same Jade I knew in Morocco, who escaped to be with me. Back then, I thought that the woman I would love for the rest of my life didn’t love me.
Jade: I was also wrong about a lot of things. I thought you were tender, romantic, happy, but I found a man who was cold, distant, and bitter. Who lives an empty life, and maintains an apartment to meet with women.
Lucas: When you didn’t want to run away with me, when you rejected me, I promised myself that I would never love anyone that wasn’t you. There wouldn’t be anyone else.
Jade: Tell me the truth. Was I just a fling for you?
Lucas: No, don’t think that. You are the most important thing to me. I still feel that way. Remember when I told you, no other woman would ever have me the way you do? You hold my heart and my soul. Why didn’t you run away with me when I was ready?
Jade: I panicked. Said found out and was going to kill you. That day I swore an oath that if Said didn’t kill you, I would never look for you again.
Lucas: I would have rather died than live without you.
Jade: I started a divorce but then I got pregnant. I stayed so I could be close to my daughter.
Lucas: I’ll never separate from you. I’ll never let you go. (yeah, where have we heard that one before?)
Jade: I’m more scared than ever because I have more to lose. I should go.
Lucas: No. Let’s leave together right now.
Jade: No. I can’t lose my daughter. I have to go.

At Leo’s party, Carolina can’t find Enrique. Marisa implies that he’s catting around with Lucas. Actually Leo and Rosa are wrestling him into bed. They’ll keep him hidden until he sobers up. Rosa tells Carolina that he was tired and left early. Marisa repeats her refrain, Lucas will pay for what he did to me.

Jade exits the taxi and Ali is waiting for her. She claims that she was visiting remembered places, and he speculates that she was not visiting places but people. He says Allah has been patient with her but his patience will run out. “You were with Lucas, weren’t you? He woke everything that was sleeping in you. ‘Lo que quedo atras.’” I think he means, “what you left behind,“ but I’m not sure, maldita falta de acentos! Ali continues, “It’s like a mirage. The closer you try to get to it, the farther it moves away. When you committed your error with him back then, you had your whole life to correct it. Not anymore.” He goes to leave and she asks for a blessing. He replies, “That God protect you from yourself.”

Lucas sneaks into his bedroom while Marisa apparently sleeps. He realizes that he still has Jade’s necklace. Marissa realizes it too.

In the morning, Rosa wakens Enrique and scolds him for treating Carolina that way. Carolina wonders what really happened to him last night. Andrea teases Nati about paying so much attention to Fernando, and Nati denies it. Then Nati plays with the bracelet that Andrea thinks is ugly, and she divulges that she likes Alejandro.

Said returns from his trip and greets his family in the hotel. Jade thinks to herself, “I want to tell him everything. It will be so hard to be at his side after what happened.” She goes to the bathroom and cries. When she comes back, he asks, “What happened while I was away? You’re different.” Jade begs him to take her back to Morocco. They have their usual argument, “You still feel for him.” “You never stop talking about him.”

Marisa lays into Lucas. “Where did you spend the night? Who did you spend it with?” She goes into her usual rant. Lucas says, “It’s finished. I want a divorce. I can no longer endure a relationship that doesn’t exist.” Marisa asserts, “You slept with her.” Lucas’s request for a divorce is what convinces her. She threatens to tell Said.

Leo is his usual encouraging self. He tells Enrique he always gets drunk (yeah, like, last night, and also 20 years ago). He says Carolina deserve better than to be with an addict. Enrique insists it was just a relapse. Leo says that as an addict, a relapse will result in Enrique either turning worse than before, or dying. Leo wouldn’t make a very good Dear Abby. On Leo’s advice, Enrique calls Caro and tells her he overslept because he took a sleeping pill last night. She’s glad to hear it. He says she’s special to him and he invites her to his house for dinner tonight. She’s even happier to hear that. Hanging up, she tells her friend that she can’t take wine because Ric doesn’t drink. Her friend speculates that’s because he’s a recovering alcoholic. Caro is sue that’s not true.

Lucas tells Rosa, and Jade tells Latifa, that they were together last night. Jade says the emotion was as strong as ever, and she never stopped loving him. Latifa has her usual panic. Anyone want to guess what she says? You guessed it. “Mohammed will leave me!” Jade assures her that no one will find out. (Jade, here’s a hint. If you want to keep a secret, don’t tell anybody!) Jade swears she’ll never see him again because she doesn’t want to lose her daughter. Meanwhile Lucas swears to Rosa that he won’t lose Jade again. He wasted his life pleasing everyone else, and now it’s his turn to enjoy love. He’s asked for a divorce.

At Casa Morocco, Ali announces that he’s going back home tomorrow, and he asks if he can take Jade along. Said looks at her suspiciously. Said says she can go with him. Meanwhile Marisa tells Lucia that Lucas asked for a divorce, but she won’t stand for it. She calls Said and says she wants his advice in decorating her house Moroccan style. After all, who knows more about interior decorating than a macho Muslim? He tells Jade what the call was about. Lucia warns Marisa not to do something she’ll regret. Marisa says that Said is a very important card in her game.

Latifa worries that Marisa will tell Said that Jade and Lucas were together. Latifa whines, all together now, “MOHAMED WILL LEAVE ME!” They decide to invite Marisa over to their house so they can discover her motives.

Lucas goes to Cristina’s house to tell her that he’s divorcing Marisa to be with Jade. Ozzie follows Karla with a K, and begs her to drop charges. He gets down on his knees and offers her anything she asks. What she asks is $,000 per month, and that he’ll be her manager and get her lots of multi-million-dollar international contracts.

Dora tells mama that Daniel is with a friend in Houston. She’s going to see him, and she won’t return without him.

Labels:


Comments:
The bit about Ali and the suckling pig reminds me of something I heard years ago at a fascinating seminar on Judaism at the local synagogue.

The first Hebrew university in the US graduated its first class of rabbis in the early 1900's. There was a graduation banquet held at a high-class hotel in Chicago. All were surprised when the first course was served. It was oysters, which of course are not kosher. The young graduates all looked toward their dean at the head table. He ate his oysters so they ate theirs. Later he explained that the Spirit of the Law, such as that a guest should not scorn the hospitality of his host, takes precedence over the letter of the law, such as that one should keep kosher.
 

"Nariza proudly presents herself in dance to one of the party guests who has seen half as many new years as Nariza." LOL! Touchet, Tutz! Am only half way through your recap and the scenes, but had to thank you for the work you put into translating the bedroom scene with Jade and Lucas. Great going and muy divertido so far! Thanks!
 

I know jade and Lucas should be together but doesnt anyone feel bad for said? I mean he does love jade. It's going to be sad when he becomes the bad guy.
 

Paula, thanks for the recap. Is this first we have heard of Said maintaining an apartment? What a jerk. Why these two couples remain in such unhappy marriages is totally beyond me.

Do Ali, Leo and Rosa know of all of the harm they have done?

Rosemary
 

Excellent recap, as usual, Paula.

Enrique was in control of his additions up until now and often pontificated about it. He meets a nice girl and falls off the wagon. Why do I think that this is so we can have some drama - digrace, disclosure & redemption before the happy ever after.

It's nice that Lucas and Jade got to have a passionate encounter but Lucas isn't being very realistic about his future with Jade. She has a 10 year old daughter to whom she is devoted. If she leaves Said, she will lose her right to see Jadiyah. She's not going to do that.

Isn't there some statute of limitations on a wife being sent back to her family? You try out the merchandise and if you don't like, you send it back. After using the merchandise for 20 years, you don't get to send it back. Mohamed could divorce her but what Latifa kept saying was that, 'Mohamed will send me back!'
 

Jean, I came in late in the game Thursday, so I never got to thank you for your Wed recap. I particularly liked "(Naz) hops up and does her 'come hither' dance for him. Lucia jumps up and joins in with a 'this man is taken' dance." And thank you for taking the trouble to transcribe the conversation, spoken and un-, between Lucas and Jade. I did not see the cap so that added a lot for me.
 

Thanks so much, Paula. Great snark, as usual.

I was fuming at Leo, also as usual. He imagines himself the world's greatest expert on addictions. The idiot said he always goes off the wagon when he's been dry 20 years. Alcoholics do have relapses and then get back with the 12-step program and remain sober. It happens. A friend would be supportive, saying they know he can go back to sobriety. Not our Leo. Cristina is too good for him, but I know they'll reward his asshattedness in the end. Just as you said about Ozzie, in the last week.

I'm liking Nariza more and more now that she's desperately trying to snag some man, any man, and not setting traps for her sisters in law.

Jadiya is kind of insufferable, isn't she? Cute kid, but over and over she asks for gold. And she had the nerve to try to stop her auntie from dancing. Looks like she's going to grow up to be the Muslim version of Church Lady.

I wish Marisa would just jump Said's bones. But, of course, she's going to try to finish off Jade.

Karla has now officially gone completely to the dark side. I don't like Ozzie too much, but her blackmail ploy is beneath contempt. I'd like to see her at Costco putting flavored spreads on crackers for harried shoppers.
 

Jean, you are SO right. It's completely ridiculous that the writers have Latifa think she can be "returned" like damaged merchandise from Amazon after 20 years of marriage and two children.
 

Novelera, your comment as Jadiya as the Muslim Church Lady is so true - LOL.

Rosemary
 

How about Marisa as a greeter at a Walmart?

or cleaning rest rooms at the Port Authority Bus Terminal?
 

Caroline: yes, I've liked Said from the start. He's more of a man than Lucas. 'twould be a shame if he goes on the dark side.
 

Paula, thanks for another terrific recap. I loved your aside to Ozzie: "Psssssst! Ozzie! Yes! In the final week of the series." So true. Like novelera, I think Cristine is too good for Leo, but they, too, will almost surely get together at the end.

Paula, I was very interested in your account of the rabbi eating oysters. Unfortunately, I've had dinner guests who apparently had never heard that story.

One question, Paula. You say that Marisa also realizes that Lucas has not returned the necklace to Jade. Are you sure? I got the impression that Lucas had put the necklace back in his jacket right before Marisa came into the room and that she therefore didn't see it.

Jean, I vote for your suggestion that Marisa wind up cleaning rest rooms at the Port Authority Bus Terminal!
 

Oh, one more thing. I gather that tonight's episode will start a half hour earlier, at least on the East Coast. There's some futbol game, I think, that's pushing "El Clon" back to 7:30 pm. Don't know whether it will make any difference on the West Coast.

Perhaps for the same reason, there will apparently be NO ¿Dónde Está Elisa? tonight. In fact, they announced what would happen el martes, which suggests that there may be no Monday episode of ¿Dónde? as well. Very strange.
 

You're right, Juanita. I saw that when I watched the scenes from tonight's episode last night here in NJ. I need to make sure that my TiVo knows about this before I go out.
 

I just checked the TV Online Guide and El Clon will be on at 6:30p.m. CST. Thanks Juanita for the heads up.

Rosemary
 

I liked Said until this Miami trip. He is crossing over to the dark side with constant testing of Jade. What is he trying to prove after all of these years?

Rosemary
 

Rosemary, I agree. Said loves Jade, but in Miami he's focused on having Lucas see he and Jade together to cause Lucas pain. He said as much to Jade once.

And in one scene a day or so ago Jade really went after him, saying his way of showing love was pretty weird, since it was all about pride and vengeance.

When he was speaking to Jade (while she was in Lucas' love nest the first time) on the phone he told her he wanted to put all that behind them and that he really loved her. Of course, when he got back from NYC, he immediately picked up on an emotional change in Jade and reverted to type. I'm really scared Marisa is going to spill the beans about Lucas' absence Nochebuena (Xmas Eve - the day Latinos really celebrate with family on Xmas) and Jade will face a terrible fate at Said's hands. I don't think they'd kill her off, but he could imprison her some way. No spoilers, just speculation.
 

Thanks Paua. The actress playing Jade, always seems so passive to me. I don't know if that it the correct word. Latifa and Nariza - for all of her faults, exude character and life.

I think Lucas will try to steal Jade away which will leave her without her support system. We'll see...

Lynne
 

Juanita, you might be right about the necklace. All I really saw was that Lucas was staring at the necklace, then they cut to Marisa staring at something because she wasn't actually asleep. But we can't be sure she could see Lucas from her angle.
 

We recently7 returned from a trip to Jordan. Our female guide talked in detail about courtship and marriage in Jordan. She was very emphatic about how divorce works in these countries. The woman always returns to live with a male relative. She never lives alone as it would disgrace the family and affect the entire family's prospects socially, matrimonially and economically.

Though she was a university grad with a very highly paid job by Jordanian standards she was also clear that her husband could tell her at any time she could no longer work, though she also said she would make his life miserable if he did.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder