Friday, September 10, 2010

El Clon Thursday September 9: Summary for Discussion

Capítulo 146: In which Luisa founds the Albieri Preservation League and finds she is the only member; Natalia takes the first step – unfortunately it is into a chasm; Daniel sets off in pursuit of Jade; Rania doesn’t understand that her stock dropped the moment she gave birth; and let’s not forget: there’s a good reason they call him the Chump.

Luisa proceeds with her furtive plan to protect Albieri by sending Daniel to Morocco. She gives him an envelope with everything he needs and tells him about the tour she has arranged for him.
When she asks him: ¿Ya conociste a Lucas? (Have you met Lucas yet?) she is surprised by his response:
Yo no sé si lo quiero conocer. La verdad es que yo no me quiero ver a mí mismo más viejo.
I don't know if I want to meet him. The truth is I don't want to see an older version of myself.

At Empresas Ferrer, Lucas is assuring Enrique that he has no desire to meet Daniel. Enrique reminisces about his 80’s self, long curly hair, tight black pants and white socks a la Michael Jackson. [¡Válgame dios!] But Lucas is in no mood for nostalgia. Albieri had no right to make a copy of me without asking my permission, he says. And he can’t let Leo adopt the boy:
El lo que pretiende es sustituirme por una copia más joven.
What he’s trying to do is replace me with a younger copy.

Meanwhile Daniel is telling Luisa:
A su lado, siempre me voy a sentir como una copia... Yo no quiero ser copia de nadie!
Next to him, I’m always going to feel like a copy. I don’t want to be anyone’s copy!
But Daniel can’t help wondering about Lucas, what he’s like, in the hopes of learning something about himself. I really don’t know who I am, he tells Luisa.

Pedro and Pablo are at the pool. Pedro wonders what Malicia has been up to lately and Pablo explains that she’s busy with a visiting uncle. Pedro is surprised. He thought she had no family.

The Hilarious Adventures of Malicia and the Chump:
In today’s show the Chump buys Malicia even more stuff and she convinces him that by stealing the apartment, she has done him a favor. They agree they will sign the apartment over to Fernando in some vague future time when he has turned over a new leaf.

Alej is with Diana and he is agonizing over his decision to stay away from Natalia. His success as a fighter means nothing now, he says. Why does life have to be so ironic – to get one thing you have to give up another that you loved? Diana understands this kind of irony all too well.

At Casa Ferrer, Nati looks at a photo of herself with Alej and makes a decision: No voy a perderte, mi amor. (I’m not going to lose you, my love). Then she walks downstairs to her parents and announces: Necesito ayuda. (I need help.)
Quiero salir de este infierno. ¿Por qué no me llevan a un lugar, no me internan?
I want to get out of this hell. Why don’t you take me to a place, why don’t you put me in the hospital?
Lucas asks Rosa to call Enrique; he’ll know what to do.

At Empresas Ferrer, Enrique tells Clara about the call. She’s happy that Natalia is going to get help. Fortunately Fernando has been able to overcome his drug problem. Enrique has his doubts about Clara's optimism, but doesn’t press the issue. Clara gives him the good news about the Paris trip she and Rogelio are planning together.

Back at Casa Ferrer, Natalia wants to go to Alejandro and tell him about her decision to enter rehab. The chauffeur can drive her. Marisa tries to stop her but Lucas says they have to trust her.

We see Natalia in the back of the car. She seems to be looking for something – or someone. Pare aquí (stop here) she tells the driver.

Enrique’s voiceover: Drugs set so many traps. I tried so many times to stop…

Cut to Casa Ferrer as Enrique continues talking to Lucas and Marisa …that’s why a person has has to commit to treatment. Do you think Natalia can be helped? asks Marisa. I don’t know, answers Enrique, that depends on her, on the will of the addict to recover. There are so many things that can put the brakes on the recovery process.
Pero bueno, debemos tener fé. Lo más importante es que Natalia dio el primer paso. Se quiere recuperar.
But listen, we have to have faith. The most important thing is that Natalia took the first step. She wants to get better.

Maybe so. Just not right away. Natalia has found Paula in the park. And here is her brilliant plan:
Me voy a internar en una clínica de rehabilitación...pero tú me entiendes, necesito un pase de despedida.
They’re going to put me in rehab...but you understand, I need a farewall hit.

At Said’s house, preparations are under way for the purification ritual celebrating the arrival of the new baby (the ugly, wrinkled baby, according to Jadiya). Yet even as Rania is gloating over this son who will keep Said at her side, Said is confiding a secret to Jadiya: Voy a traer a tu mamá de vuelta (I’m going to bring your mother back.) He’s going to Fez on business in two weeks and when he comes back, Jade will be with him. (Smug. Arrogant. Deluded. Pick your adjective, folks)

In the house in Fez, Alí doesn’t understand why Zein hasn’t called. Zoraida and Jade are happily convinced that he will just show up in person – it’s more his style. Jade’s smile fades when Alí mentions the party planned for Said’s baby tomorrow. When Jade leaves the room, Alí indulges in a bit of I Told You So disguised as wisdom.

At Salamandra, Zein explains to Rogelio that Jade’s silence is her answer to his proposal. Rogelio feels that Zein has been more than understanding (condescendiente) with Jade and she is behaving very badly towards him right now. She should at least have the courtesy to thank him for the gift he sent her.

To the great joy and relief of Dora and Estela, after six months Daniel finally shows up on their doorstep. Dora was afraid he had gone off to the desert. He has every intention of going there, he tells her. He’s going to find Jade and marry her.

And in Fez, Jade puts her hand to her throat, feels for the necklace that is no longer there and thinks: Mi piedra! La sombra tiene mi suerte. (My stone! The shadow has my luck!)

Lucas, Marisa and Enrique are talking about Natalia’s treatment when Rosa interrupts them. The driver, Jaime, wants to tell you something, she says. Jaime, asks Lucas, where’s Natalia? Ella desapareció, señor. (She has disappeared, sir.) She asked me to stop, then she got out saying that she wouldn’t be long, and she disappeared.

Albieri and Luisa are at home worrying about what is to come. Luisa is only interested in protecting Albieri. She suggests it might good for Daniel to go away for a while. Although it might have been better if he hadn’t come back, concedes Albieri, now that he is here Daniel nunca más va a salir de mi vida. (Daniel is never again going to be out of my life.)

Luisa stands up and tells Albieri that she has made an executive decision. She has arranged to send Daniel to Morocco on a three-week tour. Albieri is horrified – he knows what a wanderer Daniel is, how easily distracted,and he imagines him lost and alone in the medina or the ruins. He rushes out to find him before he leaves.

Daniel decides to leave that very night. He puts a note on his bed, then hoists his pack on his back. He pauses in the living room to kiss the sleeping Estela (who has dozed off during her telenovela), turns off the tv and slips quietly out the door.

Luisa seeks out Padre Andres in his church. What did Albieri do now? he asks. It’s not Albieri, she says. This time I’m the one who did something.

Dora and Miguel are dancing in Cristina’s bar. Dora is happy because Daniel has come home at last. Daniel is in the background, scanning the room, looking for his mother.

An insistent knock on the door awakens Estela, frightening her because of the late hour. She is even more frightened when she finds Albieri at her door bringing the news of Daniel’s planned trip to Morocco. They check his room, find his note and realize that he is already gone.

Daniel goes up to Dora and gives her a long, affectionate hug. ¿Y ese abrazo tan lindo? (and this beautiful hug) she asks. Te extrañaba, mamá (I missed you, mama) he says. Dora knows something is going on. Está tan extraño (he’s acting so strangely), she tells Miguel when Daniel has gone.

Outside, Daniel gazes at Jade’s necklace and swears that he is going to find Jade.

Luisa has told Padre Andres what she has done. You don’t want him to come back, you want him to disappear, to stay in the desert says Andres. I mean no harm towards Daniel, replies Luisa. My conscience is clear. Andres replies: If your conscience were clear, you wouldn’t be here. You’re a good person with a guilty conscience. You did something wrong and now you’re afraid something bad will happen to Daniel

I just wanted to protect Albieri, protests Luisa. Sometimes you can’t protect a person, no matter how much you love them, he says. Luisa insists that Albieri meant no harm. That’s for God to judge, says Andres. But the fact is, even with the best of intentions, he committed a grave offense that has to be judged here on earth. And he won’t escape punishment.

Luisa keeps trying to justify Albieri’s actions and doesn’t want to hear what Andres has to say about the harm he caused to others. When she finally realizes she will never recruit him to the Save Albieri Crusade, she leaves in a snit.

Someone in the bar tells Dora that Daniel had his backpack with him when he left. I knew there was something strange going on, she says to Miguel.

And Estela is at that moment asking Albieri how Daniel could be going so far away. After all, he has no money. Uh...gee, I don't know, says Albieri. Estela thinks maybe Leo gave him the money. No, says Albieri, but don’t worry. I’ll bring Daniel back even if I have to go all the way to Morocco to get him.

Daniel puts Jade’s necklace in his pocket and starts walking.

At Casa Ferrer, Rosa thinks Natalia might be with Paula. And maybe Fernando knows how to find her. They’ll call him and ask.

Clara is at her house sharing a romantic moment with Rogelio when the phone rings. She explains that Fernando is out; he is rehearsing with the band. Because Rosa says it is so important to find Natalia, Clara promises to call Fernando to see if he knows where she is. She tries his cell phone and it is off. Then she calls a friend in the band and learns that Fernando has been lying – he isn’t rehearsing with them.

Fernando is playing at something else at the moment, in the company of Natalia and Paula. They are in a club, dancing, flying high.

At Gloria’s, Alej tells his mother how much he misses Natalia. He dreamed of this moment so many times, one fight away from the title bout. And now it means nothing without Natalia. If Natalia really loves you, says Gloria, she’ll work on getting better so you can be together again.

Rosa answers the phone at Casa Ferrer. It is Alejandro. He doesn’t know where Natalia is either -- he thought she was at home with her parents -- but he can tell them some of the bars Natalia has been to with Paula. Lucas takes the list and sets out to find his daughter, instructing Marisa to wait at home in case Natalia calls.

Alej returns to his empty apartment and buries his face in Natalia’s pillow.

In the final scene Lucas finds his daughter. He watches Natalia’s frenzied druggie dance under the flashing strobe lights. He looks angry.

Credits roll.

Labels:


Comments:
Terrific recap, NovelaMaven, starting with the witty opening summary. Loved "Natalia takes the first step--unfortunately, it is into a chasm" and just about everything else (I was going to cite more, but then I realized I'd simply be reproducing the entire opening). And you summed up so much of Alí when you said "Alí indulges in a bit of I Told You So disguised as wisdom." Yes!

Thanks also for the Spanish, including one bit that wasn't in the episode: ¡Válgame dios! That was a new one for me.

I think the actor playing Alejandro is doing a terrific job at expressing a wide range of emotions. And I was touched when he lay down in the bed clutching and sniffing Nati's pillow. Guess I'm just a sucker for schmaltz, but I found that scene very moving.
 

Great recap of a real snoozer of an episode. Like Juanita, I loved the Alí 'I told you so' disguised as wisdom. That's exactly what he has been doing again and again and you summed it up perfectly.

If Telemundo wanted to shorten the number of episdoes, they could have ditched this one. Nothing happened - Nati talked about going into rehab but fell off the wagon - again. Daniel talked about going to Morocco but he still hasn't gone. I couldn't believe that Said would even think about taking Jade back and then tell Jadiya about it before it happened. Stupid and same old, same old. The Chump lives up to his name - again.

Maybe Estela was watching this novela. It would have to be something pretty boring for her to fall asleep on that incredibly uncomfortable patio furniture that Dora has had in her living room for the last 10 years.
 

Glad you enjoyed it Juanita! Thanks!

As for 'Válgame Dios', I'm sure you figured it out, but for anyone else -- it's kind of an old-fashioned expression meaning 'God help me!'. The verb is 'valer' (as in 'no vale la pena'). In this context 'valer' means 'to protect'and it is in the irregular imperative form, 'valga'. The expression just came to mind when Enrique described his 80's persona.

I agree about the actor who plays Alej. And I also found the pillow scene in the apartment moving, although I couldn't help but think of at least three similar scenes involving Said and Jade's clothing. So I guess it's one of those visual clichés that are, in fact, effective because they touch on a truth.

And I'll say again that while the writers sometimes let us down with their continuity issues, with a Scene B that seems blithely unaware of Scene A, the actors almost never do. I think the acting is wonderful. And when I am watching, I can usually leave the volume steady on my tv -- I don't have to switch it down for the screaming that passes for drama on ... well you know where :)
 

Jean--
"Maybe Estela was watching this novela. It would have to be something pretty boring for her to fall asleep on that incredibly uncomfortable patio furniture that Dora has had in her living room for the last 10 years."

So funny! (although I can think of several better candidates for the novela). And poor Dora -- I've often thought the same thing about her sad WalMart furniture. Maybe Leo will buy her a couch.
 

Jean, I agree that not much happened in this episode, and I loved your suggestion that Estela probably fell asleep on that uncomfortable furniture because she was watching this TN! Still, I found I didn't mind this one so much, perhaps because, as NovelaMaven mentioned, the acting was so good. And though Telemundo may be trying to stretch out this TN with uneventful episodes like this one, at least they aren't doing what they did with ¿Dónde Está Elisa? -- showing only 30 minutes per day in the final week or two to stretch things out further! That was almost enough to send me back to Univision, but the utter stupidity and overacting in Soy Tu Dueña put a stop to that.

I confess, though, that at times Univision has had some superb actors, or at least superb performances. I'm thinking, for example, of Arturo Peniche as Cristóbal in En Nombre del Amor and Silvia Navarro as Fernanda in Mañana es Para Siempre.

Yes, NovelaMaven, I did figure out ¡Válgame dios! -- by going to WordReference.com, which is far and away the best site I know for finding out about the meaning of words, their usage, their nuances, etc. etc.
 

Thanks, Juanita, for the Wordreference.com link. I didn't know that one and it's looks good. I generally use the Reverso online dictionary and Word Magic, which translates a lot of expressions.
 

Oh absolutely, Juanita, WordReference.com is one of my favorite resources too. And I agree that Peniche and Navarro can be wonderful -- Navarro in particular was absolutely incandescent in 'Mañana es para siempre'.

Jean, I'm not sure I agree that nothing much happened in this episode. Natalia's odyssey to hell and (we hope) back is a central theme of this novela and what happened last night was significant: Natalia finally said out loud that she needs to be hospitalized, then proceeded to demonstrate why. And Lucas finally got his chance to see the full horror of what his daughter has turned into (Marisa had her turn the night before.) But I do get it that not everyone here finds this particular plot thread compelling.
 

NovelaMaven (or would you prefer NovelaMaiden?), thanks again for another wonderful and witty recap.

I noticed Daniel insisting that 40 is old. I think that's typical of 20 year olds, but it was funny.

Re: delusional Said. What evidence does he have that his big plan to have Jade respect him by treating her like crap has worked?

I also loved "I told you so's disguised as wisdom". I think the actor portraying Ali is doing a great job, but the writers have done him a disservice with repetitive crap to or about Jade; such as, you threw your good fortune to the wind.

A continuity problem for me: There's been a move forward in time, but where has Daniel been? It doesn't seem he's been living at either the Ferrers or his mother's apartment.

I thought Estela must have been watching Soy tu Dueña.

I gotta give Malicia credit. This particular scheme to hang on to the apartment was brilliant and actually true. Fernando is an addict, and no good would come of his living alone in the apartment. I couldn't believe the Chump bought her more stuff. What was that - a computer?

I'm still not bored with this novela. The acting is always good, and the scenes aren't loaded with loud, fake suspense music as in Telerisa's offerings. And there's almost no overacting. Andrea López (Marisa) has been doing a great job with her subtle change from narcissism to realization of how she's failed her child.
 

That was funny when Daniel insisted to Luisa that 40 was old. I could almost hear her saying to herself, 'but I'm 40 and I'm not old.'

Don't mind my whining. I think the acting on this novela is very good and I'm in 'til the end but I don't like the main characters (Jade and Lucas) and it has the slowest moving plot of any novela I've ever seen on Telemundo or Univisión.
 

Novelera and Jean, yeah it was funny that Daniel thought 40 was old, but funny with a bitter edge since we all have the sense that he is doomed -- he's probably not going to live long enough to consider 40 young.

It's interesting -- The success of Malicia's scheme depends on Escobar's Moonie-like belief that she is the only person in the world he can trust. She really does have the personality of a cult leader. And alas, Escobar has the personality of a cult follower.

I thought Daniel told Dora he had been 'por acá' -- around, here and there. It was just another of his disappearing acts.

And Jean, no te preocúpes amiga, desahógate! :)
 

In the race for Jade, everyone is a prop except for Lucas. Daniel, Said and Zein are designed to create the tension to the inevitable end. You see, with Lucas out of the picture, Jade's life is reduced to scrambling for options. Her options are as follows:

1 - Said - spent her whole life running away from him and dreads the idea of having to suffer Ranya. Nevertheless, she's willing to tolerate it for the sake of her daughter.

2 - Zein - sees as pretty much a stranger. This is why she told him (erroneously) to give her time to learn to love him. Another way of putting it, I'm not in love with you but i'm willing to try.

3 - Daniel - is terrified of him. That may change once she gets to know him. Wait a minute, she will feel like she's known him for 20 years. Same face and voice but 20 years younger. Hey, maybe i'll get to live my romance after all.

4 - Lucas - believes he doesn't love her anymore and therefore is willing to marry Zein in order to rip him from her heart. Feels anger towards Lucas for putting her in that position.

Not many good options I would say.
 

NovelaMaven i am ROFL from reading Rania doesn't understand her stock has dropped since she gave birth, there's a good reason why they call him the Chump. Great opening and recap:) Thank you.

I remember when you said you thought Luisa was evil and last night definitely confirmed it for me with her actions.

There is so much selfishness in this novela, i think we can count on one hand how many of the characters that aren't like this.
 

A very un-boring recap of a rather boring chapter, NM. Recapper talent never fails me.

I figured that Estela falling asleep was sooo grandmotherly and cute--true to life. I reckon that she wasn't watching Family Guy... Alej's pillow sniffing was sooo cariñoso and cute. So poignant, it got me.

Los muebles pobres de Dora have irritated me for the longest too. "Set" is most likely a device used to dfferentiate her socioeconomic status from the Ferrers, Rashids, and Albieris. (Wondering if Leo bought Cristina's furniture, then?) Anyhoo, the designers must've been going for "super-feo/barato."

That "molasses" pace seems to be a problem with the longer TNs, doesn't it? But the shorter ones strike me as hurried. No podemos ganar.

(When La Diosa Coronada entered the final weeks, my household was like "Already??" I sat through the gran final like "Seriously??" Whereas Victoria was measured out but starting to wear thin. Erg...)
 

I second NovelaMaven's comment, Jean. Being down on TN characters and/or plots is totally acceptable here!

I've been reading and commenting on this blog from the beginning, back when Melinama aka Chapel Hill Fiddler was recapping Amor Real on her Pratie Place blog. The TN recaps overwhelmed the rest of her blog, so she created this site. What I meant to say is that it's lots of fun to read all the different points of view about what goes on in these novelas. I'd say 99% of the time the comments have been on target and well intentioned. This site has VERY few, if any, trolls.

So, again, no need to apologize for complaining about plots or the lack of them moving along briskly.
 

Interesting idea - Malicia as a cult leader. It makes me think about the difference between her and Leo. Both are totally absorbed in getting what they want and don't seem to recognize (Leo) or care (Malicia and sometimes Leo) about the needs of others.

While Leo gets what he wants by simply not listening or accepting anyone else's opinion, Malicia doesn't have his power. She has to appear vulnerable and skillfully manipulate the people she deals with. Her greatest triumph is the Chump, of course, and he is an idiot but she has deceived many others. Cult leaders generally are very charismatic. Malicia is more of a con woman.
 

You are soooo right Jean -- Malicia has zero charisma! But she'd be awfully good as a foot soldier in an orange robe, beating her tambourine and recruiting chumps in the mall and the airport and then leading them back to the compound.

Another important difference between her and Leo -- she acts with the deliberate intention of doing harm. The harm Leo does is a byproduct of his blindness or indifference to the feelings of others. But I can't remember any time he acted with gratuitous malice.
 

Erin, I think, except for her brief career at Salamandra, Cristina owes all her income, directly or indirectly to Leo. He supported her for many years and then gave her the bar (which she made into a roaring, recession-proof success).

Blusamurai -- you are so right. The selfishness in this novela is breathtaking. Who isn't in that group? Definitely Zoraida, Gloria, Alejandro, Andrea. Much of the time, especially lately, Diana. Sometimes Lucas. Sometimes Latifa, Samira, and even the Naz...
 

Heh heh. Maybe that's how Malicia will end up. Either cult footsoldier or Amway representative ;-).

I agree that Leo doesn't act with gratuitious malice but I dislike that arrogance and lack of feelings for others much more than the plain vanilla evil of Malicia.
 

NovelaMaven, great recap and Spanish lesson.

There have been some terrific comments today, so there is not too much to add.

I think Daniel is living on a different planet. He thinks he can fly off to Fez and marry Jade. How in the world does he expect to take care of her? He has no education and dear Jade has never lifted a finger in her life.

It is a little strange about the parallel lives in this TN - Enrique and Nati, Jade and Marisa, the Naz and Zoraida, etc.

This is also the first TN that I have seen in the last 2-1/2 years that has not had any blood letting. There are plenty of evil spirited people but no out and out killers.

Roesmary
 

Great recap, NovelaMaven. I loved the "I Told You So disguised as wisdom," "executive decision," comparison of the Alicia/Escobarde scene to a cheesy sitcom, and all the rest. And in a comment, "Maybe Leo will buy [Dora] a couch."

I liked how Rogelio discovered there's a problem in Clara's house when she suggested he pour himself a drink, and he found only empty bottles. Apparently Fer leaves his empties sitting around. Now she also knows something is wrong, hopefully they'll talk about it.

I found it a little odd that Rogelio insisted Zein could have presionado Jade into staying with him. Was he just saying this was partly Zein's fault, or does this show something about his attitude toward women?

And more unanswered questions: Why did Diana leave Alejo? It was suggested that she did it to get something else, but what?
And the one some of us have been asking for a while: Why does nobody seem to care where Daniel wants to go? He's not a lost puppy.

I enjoyed the discussion here comparing Leo and Alicia. Personally, although I would hate both people, I find the character of Leo more interesting (he's bad in a psychologically realistic way), so I don't dislike that he's a part of the show in quite the way I do for Alicia, who is probably the most one-dimensional major character on this show.

Novelera: It looked to me like what Escobarde bought for Alicia was a stereo.

Erin: yes, the pillow-sniffing was cariñoso, that's exactly what I was thinking. Poor Alejo is too much of a lover to be a fighter.

Juanita: thanks for the link. I'll check it out for Spanish, although I doubt its information about English could rival oed.com (although that's not free). If there were something analogous to the Oxford English Dictionary for Spanish (even without English translations), I'd be all over it.
 

Luke, There actually is something like the OED -- check out rae.es (Real Academia Español). As a matter of fact, you can also link to RAE directly from wordreference.com.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder