Sunday, August 28, 2011

La Pola - August 26, 2011 - After the Battle

Summary: Alejo reaches Leandro just before he dies. Leandro tells his brother he is on the right side and that Sámano is an ambitious coward. With the unwanted help of Juliano and Pola’s sewing skills, Domingo survives his battle wounds. Pola will accompany him back to Guaduas in spite of Alejo’s asking her not to go because he does not want to be separated from her. She says she will be gone only about a month and that she will return to him. He brings Leandro’s body back to his parents in the mansion (after a few days??? I hope the body was embalmed.). Francisco earns my four seconds of sympathy when he breaks down and cries over Leandro’s body, but he loses my sympathy when he blames María Teresa for alienating Leandro from him. María Teresa stands up to him and tells him that she is leaving and is going to live in Maquititas with her brothers. She enlists Alejo to help her get there. Nariño’s army is not welcome in Popayan, but that is where his forces will regroup before pursuing Sámano again. And, then there is Col. Rodriguez chopping off the head of the invincible Col Hasin….. Martaivett's recap follows:

here we go... friday... aug 26
Alejo keeps fighting and yelling for his brother…
Finally spots him when Leandro is swept on his hip with a sword by a rebel soldier, Alejo heads over to him but has to fight a couple other men first… Leandro fights someone else who stabs him on left shoulder, then someone else sinks his bayonette on Leandro’s back right side… Leandro falls to his knees and someone sinks their sword in his stomach… as the guy removes the sword, Alejo sees him again just as someone gives Leandro the final blow from the back through his chest… Alejo yells NOOOO!!! And runs to him, yelling at the guy to leave him alone.
Alejo grabs Leandro…
L: look… all our lives fighting… fighting to the death.
A: You are not going to die.
L: I am already dead…
A: How am I going to be able to keep on living after staining my hands with my own brother’s blood?
L: No, no… you were on the righteous side.
A: Why do you say that?
L: I finally got it… Samano has no honor, or valour… he only knows ambition… and cowardness. (Alejo looks up and around as if angrily looking for Samano right then and there) You are right. Keep fighting for what you want.
A: You fought bravely.
L: Tell our mother that I willl try to be the light that guides her way… forgive me Alejo… (I believe he said ‘I would have wanted to be a better brother’)… too bad our father… our father…
A: Leandro… Leandro… No!! Leandro!! … Leandro, No!!
(a soldier comes and points his bayonette at Alejo and yells at him ‘ Die, you wretch!’, but Pola shoots him down. Alejo turns around, Pola!... Pola comes to him)
P: He is already dead, Alejo, lets go!
A: What are you doing here, dressed like that??
P: Lets go Alejo, before they kill you!
(a shot is heard and she is hit on the shoulder)
A: They hit you!
P: Let’s go before they kill us both!!
(Alejo grabs her, stands up, punches someone in their way..)
A: Let’s go!
(he grabs her again and runs with her through the fighting mayhem… )

Juliano has carried Domingo into the woods, Domingo keeps yelling ‘let me go, dumb negro, you are hurting me!. Juliano wants to go get a doc or help… Domingo says he does not need help, asks Juliano why don’t you let me die in peace?... Juliano goes for help anyway…

At Guaduas, Catalina and Bernarda are praying to the virgin… Cata can’t stand the anxiety. No news… Bernarda is afraid the news won’t be good.. Gertrudis comes in, Cata asks if she has news of the war. No, bringing news about the mayor selling Domingo’s crops.. Cata asks the house too? No, he was not interested in the house but at least we have where to live.

Alejo and Pola stop.
A: Are you alright?
P: Yes, its just stopping the blood and that’s all.
A: Thank you for saving my life… (they embrace… she is anguished for him, he is in loads of emotional pain and overload, for the blood hell he has been in, it’s a miracle his white shirt sleeves are clean as a whistle, but have to say they did good continuity, his hands/knuckles show he punched a few folks along the way.)
Permalink posted by martaivett : Sat Aug 27, 05:45:00 PM EDT

Back in the fight, I had to laugh… nearby Col Hasin there is one guy who is more doing an aerobic exercise, jumping constantly and hitting another guy’s gun with his bayonette/gun side to side… (definitely stands out, sorry had to laugh)
Col begins to yell asking for Samano, we see Samano riding full speed with a handfull of men behind him. Hasin continues to fight bravely..
Antonio: Col Hasin!! You don’t have to die! Give up! You have my word that you will be treated with dignity!!
H: Come get me, you devilish american!!
(he gets grabbed from behind but he can shake the guy off, and kills him and another one… Col Rodriguez has seen this and finishes off the guy he was fighting and heads over toward Hasin, lifting his gun… Hasin turns around sword in hand, but sees Rodriguez pointing at him point blank.
Antonio: Noo! Rodriguez!!
But Rodriguez enjoys putting a bullet right between Hasin’s eyebrows… Hasin falls dead.
A younger officer notices they killed Hasin so he yells at their troops that they killed Hasin and yells for retreat. They all retreat quickly…

The whole fight happened in a field mudded up, good attention to detail, we see the smoke trails of where the cannonballs fell… they run like maniacs and Antonio’s troops follow them.

Capt Caval announces to Antonio that the enemy ran scared… Antonio asks for Gen Samano, Caval says he’s nowhere, seems he ran too… Caval gives Antonio the credit, Antonio gives it right back, tells him if it was not for his making it through, although a bit late, another would have been the result. Caval says you have no idea how hard it was to make it through that jungle.

At the fields, Rodriguez is pointing his sword to Hasin and yelling ‘WE ARE FREE!! WE WON!!! WE FINISHED THESE WRETCHS!! .. COL HASIN!! THE INVINCIBLE!! (goes down to his knees and grabs Hasin, lifting him up by the coat… ‘You are not so invincible, Col! Did you really think we were so insignificant? Did you really think we were just some scum that can be stepped on like insects??? (stands up and grabs his sword) These are the wretchs that feel like they are our owners!! That feel they have the right to cut out heads off!! (he swings his sword to cut Hasin’s head) Antonio yells “Col Rodriguez!!’ but he yells ‘NO MORE!!!’ and swings and cuts Hasin’s head off. HE enjoys his deed and then grabs Hasin’s head and lifts it above his shoulders…
Most of the rebel soldiers cheer, except Pedrito and Viviano who look like they are getting sick.
Rod: IT is us who now cut their heads off!!
Antonio: Col Rodriguez!! What are you doing?? (with a face of total disgust and disapproval)
Antonio gets off the horse and walks over to Rodriguez and Hasin’s body.
Rod: Gen Narino.. I was going to go find you. I have a present for you.
Antonio: You are an animal. (un salvaje) That is not the behavior of a civilized man. Don’t you know that God’s laws ban destruction of the already dead?
Rod: My G Narino, it’s exactly what this ‘(they muted it but the word starts with P, you figure it) would have done when he came out victorious!
Antonio: What kind of reasoning is that? (louder so all soldiers hear) Here we are not taking vengeance! Here we are fighting for our freedom!! And if we let ourselves be overcome by hatred and resentment, like Col Rodriguez just did, WE will all end up like this poor man!
Rod: My General…
Antonio: Not another word! This act erases your heroic achievement today and stains the honor of our troops! (have to say the troops are not cheering anymore, they seem ashamed of having cheered Rodriguez… Rodriguez could be shooting fire out his nostrils, he looks very angry)
Antonio lifts his arm asking Rodriguez for the head… and tells him to go away..
Antonio asks for a spanish flag, puts Hasin’s head back and covers his body with the flag.
Antonio: Col Hasin, Rest in peace. You fought like a valiant. Now I understand why you did not loose any battle. And perhaps, with a more honorable commander, your outcome would have been better.
Permalink posted by martaivett : Sat Aug 27, 05:45:00 PM EDT

Samano has made it out… his handful of men reach him, noone follows them. He breathes a sigh of relief.

Pola is walking through the bodies calling for Viviano and Pedrito… They meet and they all hug happily. Pedrito says Viviano is a much better warrior. Pola sees Viviano is not well emotionally and asks him what is up. He says he does not like to kill. She says I know, this is one of the worst sights anyone could experience. They ask her for Alejo, he is alright, but his brother is dead. Pedrito says he did not know his brother fought for us. She says he fought for Samano’s troops.

Alejo is kneeling by Leandro’s body.
A: From the beginning I cursed this war between brothers… but I never thought I would have to face such tragedy… (Pola has reached him and holds his shoulder in support) All our lives fighting… fighting to the death… (he turns around) Pola…
P: I’m alright.
A: (loses it crying)

The priest and Antonio are walking around the field.. Antonio asks the priest to ensure all the dead get christian service. Leyva comes to tell him the death toll (500 theirs, 60 ours). Antonio asks Leyva to make a list of the dead so they can ensure the families get compensation from government.

Pola walks by and Antonio calls for ‘soldier!’… She turns around…
P: Don Antonio…
A: Pola…
P: Don Antonio, please don’t say anything.. Believe me, I tried to follow your orders, but the anguish won me over. And thank God because if it was not for this uniform, the person I love would be dead. So you can give me whatever punishment I deserve. (Antonio just looks at her with concern)

Back at the camp tents, Domingo is attended to by their medic, Pedrito is holding his head, Viviano his legs… but Domingo keeps jerking around, he really wants to die… Doc says ‘if you don’t stay still I can’t close the wound! ‘ Domingo keeps saying leave me alone… Doc says ‘if you want to die that’s your problem! But there are people who DO need my help and want to live! ‘
Doc leaves even after Pola calls for him.
Viv: Your wound looks pretty bad. IF we don’t close it you will die.
Dom: As if anyone needed me.
Viv: I do.
Dom: You? I thought you hated me.
Viv: Why?
Dom: Because when you lived at my house I treated you bad.
Viv: You are a good person, Dom. Well, until you married my sister. You beast, you should not have married her.
Pola comes back and finishes sewing his wound…
P: Why do you want to die, Dom? Does the conscience feel heavy for not having been a good husband? To finish the life of a small innocent creature? OR do you still think you are a poor victim and that God hates you?
D: Your little brother was telling me that I was a good person until I married your sister.
And all I did was love her, give her all she asked me for. And she didn’t even love me after that.
P: You did everything backwards. Just like you bought Juliano, you bought Catarina?
D: What are you talking about?
P: What am I talking about? You practically bought Catarina from Misia Gertrudis since she was a little girl! And on top of that, you forced her to love you by beating her up! Who can fall in love that way, Domingo? Love is free, you don’t chain love! …
Permalink posted by martaivett : Sat Aug 27, 05:46:00 PM EDT

Antonio asks Leyva if they can move forward to Pasto fast after the enemy’s defeat. But Leyva recommends they instead go to Popayan to recover, get some resources and then go to Pasto and Quito.

Later Antonio talks to Tonito, says someday everyone, even the men in the council, will understand that this victory is everyone’s!... Tonito asks if he will stop here. No. For the campaign to be complete, we must go on to Quito. Tonito congratulates his General. Antonio does same with his Col Narino. Antonio gives all his officers a promotion… including Tonito who is now Col.
Tonito leaves, Pola comes in to tell Antonio she is leavign, have to take her sister’s husband home so he can try to say goodbye… Antonio asks then you will come back and join us again? Pola says I thought you did not want women to come along. This time he says it will be a pleasure to count on her again. Pola will be happy to return.

Juliano tells Pola that Domingo was wounded by a black soldier, and Pola says and even then you took him out of there. Juliano says he would have done that for anyone. We’re all on same side. Pola tells Juliano she will take Domingo back to Guaduas…

In another tent, Alejo is dressing up a clean Leandro… and crying beside him. Arcos is standing by them.
A: Even if you think the opposite, you were a good brother… the best. I always admired you, Leandro, and always felt very proud of you.
Pola comes in…
P: I came to say goodbye.
A: Say goodbye?
P: I have to take my sister’s husband who is badly wounded.
(Alejo sends Arcos away, Arcos tells Pola he is sad she will leave)
A: I want to go with you. But first I have to take Leandro’s body to Popayan.
P: I have to go right now. Domingo can die any moment.
A: Pola I don’t want to get away from you.
P: I will just go, leave Domingo, and come right back to join you all again! They say that you all will spend about a month in Popayan before you move forward.
A: (he is shaky…) Pola, please…
P: You don’t want to go on fighting?
A: This war makes no sense.
P: OF course it does. The pain for your brother is not letting you see it, but you, as I, as everyone here dream with being free! To see our children grow in a free country!
A: Are we ever going to see that day, Pola?
(Pedrito comes to get Pola, they are ready to leave, Pola kisses Alejo)
A: I don’t want to get away from you.
P: Everything will be alright. You will see.
(Alejo is devastated… she watches him sharing his anguish and feeling real bad she has to leave him now)

Juliano brings a bayonette shotgun to Domingo, asks him to shoot him dead after they exchange dares as to ‘finally you have the guts to kill me / the one with not enough guts is you’.
J: You said you would not leave me alive, so go ahead, kill me… I am not kidding, amo. If you die and I live, you won’t rest in peace. You would think that I will go back with ama Catarina, maybe that is true.
D: you will go back to her, miserable negro.
J: I can’t promise you I won’t. so do it now that you have the chance. Shoot me! (puts it on his neck)
… (he won’t do it… Juliano dares him again but Domingo can’t get himself to)
D: Maybe you think the opposite. But I am no murderer. I am a man in love, brute, because now that I am about to meet God, I am realizing all the mistakes I made.
(Pola comes to get Domingo… Domingo gives Juliano a killer stare… tells Pola that Juliano and him were just saying their farewells). Domingo and Pola leave.

Days later, at Popayan..
Alejo arrived to the house, upset Eusebia comes to get Francisco and Maria Teresa.
Downstairs Alejo has Arcos and a couple other men, with Leandro’s body covered up.
Francisco kneels to uncover Leandro while Maria Teresa grabs Alejo for support. He holds her. Arcos squeezes Alejo’s shoulder briefly in a show of support.
Fra: Leandro, for God’s sake! Leandro!
Permalink posted by martaivett : Sat Aug 27, 05:47:00 PM EDT

Pola and Domingo (a very ill Domingo, barely able to keep himself sitting up on the horse)
At the house Catarina and Gertrudis are preparing corn from the fields, gertrudis is nagging, as usual. Acacia comes running in to tell Gertrudis and Catarina that Pola arrived. Catarina is in disbelief.
Pola and Domingo arrive. Pola tells Cata Domingo got wounded in the fight.
Bernarda asks about Juliano, Domingo reluctantly says he is alright. He stayed fighting with the troops. I did not kill him if that’s what you are worried about.
Pola will run for a ‘galeno’ (doctor). Domingo asks her for a priest so he can do confession.
Catarina and Bernarda help Domingo in the house.

In Popayan, the Valencias, Sarabains come back to house after a service for Leandro. Maria Teresa tells Eusebia and Gaspar they are finally leaving. To mariquita, with her brothers. Francisco, visibly in disagreement but resigned, walks away.

Gaspar asks Alejo when they leave. Alejo tells him Don Antonio wants to meet with the most wealthy families of Popayan. They need resources. Eusebia asks Alejo to stop by and say goodbye to Maria Ignacia. Alejo agrees, he will.
Maria Teresa asks Francisco if he is ok. He says how could I? My son Leandro died hating me, and its your fault. She asks how is that.
Fran: Leandro never forgave me for saying his mother was ‘bad race’ woman.
MT: What?
Fran: Don’t tell me that neither of your sons ever told you.
MT: Did you tell my sons that?
Fran: Yes, it is the truth.
MT: I did not understand the reasons for this war. But now I do. This country needs to get rid of men like you.
Fran: Now you say that? Let me remind you that when you were younger you were dying to marry a man like me. An european of noble origin. I avoided you from being an old maid. That’s where you were heading. You were a disgraced woman, ‘stained of the land’.
MT: Some time ago I would have been hurt by your words. Now I don’t feel anything. A while back I realized you did not marry me for your feelings for me, but for your feelings towards the wealth of my family.
Fran: See? You are not as dumb after all.
MT: I am not. You never really got to know me.
Permalink posted by martaivett : Sat Aug 27, 05:49:00 PM EDT

Bernarda, Catarina and Acacia are caring for Domingo. Acacia gets scared at the sight of the wound. Cata asks her to bring clean cloths… Domingo asks Acacia to leave him alone with Catarina.
Dom: I never thought I would see you again.
Cata: Dom, I know you did not expect to see me in your house, but the thing is the crops were sold but not the house. But don’t worry. Now that you are here, I will leave today.
Dom: You don’t have to leave anymore.
Cata: What?
Dom: Come closer. I can’t speak very loud. I only came here to… ask you for forgiveness.
Cata: You don’t have to say anything.
Dom: I always wanted for you to love me. But I am too dumb/brute. All I did was to get you to hate me.
Cata: I don’t hate you.
Dom: Yes (you do). And I deserve it. The problem is that none of what I did I did for being bad, but for the pain I was feeling because you did not love me.
Cata: I know that. And I tried to love you but I couldn’t.
Dom: And how could you? Can you forgive me?

Cata: I can forgive everything, Domingo… except what you did to my son.
Dom: Catarina, I am going to die.
Cata: Domingo, don’t say that. If you could get here, it must be because that wound is not so bad.
Dom: If I made it all the way here, is because I need to talk to you.
Cata: I think we said everything we needed to say.
Dom: At that time I hated you with all my heart.
Cata: You don’t hate me anymore?
Dom: Pola made me understand some things…
Cata: Some things?
Dom: Like it is not your fault for not having been able to love me. All I did was to try to force you to love me the violent way. But that doesn’t matter anymore. I am not even interested in you to love me. All I want is that you are alright. For you to be happy.
Cata: No, Domingo, I can’t be happy anymore…
Dom: Yes you can. Catarina, your son Joaquin… is alive.
Cata: Alive?... But… Didn’t you tell Ciro to… to kill him?
Dom: He didn’t. HE did not kill him. He sold him.

Cata: And who are those merchants?
Dom: Ciro just told me that he took him to some mines to sell him. Ciro didn’t even know himself.
Cata: What mines? And then how do I find him?
Dom: Ciro only told me that he is alright.
Cata: Then how will I find him?
Dom: I would like to help you… I can give you money to find him and buy him from them. Don’t think that they will just hand him to you just by you saying you are his mother… This house is yours. Go tell Pola to get the mayor so we can do the paperwork. (to sell the house)…
Cata: Why are you doing this for me, Domingo?
Dom: Because I want to see you happy…. (she smiles) What Pola said worked. Just a small gesture of mine and it’s the first time you look at me with a smile (me mira bonito).
Cata: What can I say? Thank you Domingo!
Dom: Don’t say anything. Rather run, because if I die, you will not have the house or recover your son. Go.
Permalink posted by martaivett : Sat Aug 27, 05:50:00 PM EDT

Back at Valencia house in Popayan… Maria Teresa is crying, Alejo comes to embrace her again.
A: Mother… Leandro told me that he would be the light to guide your way..
MT: Hopefully God will let him…. Why didn’t you tell me?
A: Tell you what?
MT: That your father thinks that we are ‘bad race’.
A: Would that serve for anything, mother?
MT: I don’t want to live with him anymore!
A: Mother, you are very affected by Leandro’s death. Let a few days go by..
MT: NO! No! I don’t want to live with Francisco! I can’t stand to live with him one more day!
A: You don’t mind being married anymore?
MT: NO. It mattered to me because I had sons who would see their honorability affected. Leandro is not here anymore. And you… your own father rejects you because of your race. What good would it do to prolongue this miserable life at his side?
A: And where will you go?
MT: To my brothers’. To Mariquita. And you will help me. (he embraces her again).

Leyva and Antonio with the troops walk around Popayan’s streets.
A: The people in this city don’t appreciate us. They feel safer in ‘realista’ hands.
Ley: They will learn to appreciate freedom.
A: How long until we can move on?
Ley: That depends on the resources we get and how soon we get them. Besides, Samano has to recover from the blows we gave him.

Leyva tells Antonio that the way to Pasto allows the enemy to take advantage position against them. It will not be easy. Antonio is still optimistic. Leyva grimaces in pain… Antonio tries to lift his spirits and says while we keep the troop spirits up, tomorrow people will say they are the ‘liberators’ of our lands.

Previews show Acacia unmasking Francisco to the Valencias. While a stranger merchant arrives at Pola’s life. Someone who could change many things in the story.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks Pasofino. I just read Marta's recap on Friday's posting. Excellent.

Hurrah (sort of) for Ciro. At least little Joaquín is out there somewhere... alive.

I hope we get a break from the fighting for a few days. That was really grim and I really didn't need to see the Fly behead a dead Hasín.

Looking forward to Acacia outing Francisco. I wonder how he explain things.

La Hija del Mariachi continues to entertain. I'm very amused by the fun they are having with the differences in language between Mexico and Colombia. Emiliano is amused that in Colombia they coger buses and capar (castrate) classes.

Early in my tutoring my profa cautioned me about the meaning of the word coger in Mexico and here in Texas as well. I believe if the show had been shown in Mexico, the word would have been bleeped.

Carlos
 

Martaivett: I took the liberty of copying your recap and pasting it to the current page.

Carlos: I'm glad you pointed out the differences in the meaning of the words in HDM. It's too bad that one isn't being recapped. In my time zone it's on at 10:00 a.m. So, I have to record each session if I want to see it.
 

Thank you so much Pasofino and Marta. I actually completely missed your posting for Wednesday so didn't get around to reading the great summaries for Weds and Fri until this weekend.

Poor Leandro. I'm glad he got a chance to say goodbye to Alejo.

Yes, Carlos, at least little Joaquín is alive. And since this is, at the end of the day, a telenovela, let's hope that Catarina finds him and soon.
-------------------
About La Hija del Mariachi -- this show is so incredibly charming (and accessible), that I don't understand why more people aren't watching it, especially since Univisión has been posting full capítulos on its website.

I have also been delighting in the running theme of Mexican vs Colombian slang and jotting them down too. "Capar clases" was a new one on me.

The restaurant scene with the Mexican Comandante Salas and his faithful "gordita" was one of the best food scenes I've seen in a novela. Usually people sit down to fake-looking glop which they fake eat (until someone storms off in a rage). Here the dishes looked mouth-wateringly authentic and so did the pleasure the actors were taking in eating them. This parallel almost-romance is as delightful as the almost-romance of the stars, Rosario and Emilio/Francisco.

I confess that even though I have gotten to the point that I know WHEN I'm supposed to laugh at a Mexican comedic moment, I rarely do. But this show regularly has me cracking up -- especially at the antics of La Gorda y El Calvo (ie, the Mexican cops), her diets, his hair-growth remedies, their guesses -- sometimes sharp but more often dull -- about Emilio's psyche.

I'm looking forward to seeing the macho brute Coloso being forced to share the stage with Emilio.
 

bravo M.I.! we win.

to further clarify the difference between the troops, it's the hats themselves, not the emblems on them. the patriots wear black tricorns (except for those high enough in rank to wear something else), and the royalists wear the ridiculously tall hats like the cat in the hat (except for those ranking some other design).

speaking of the mid rank soldiers, what is iglesia's story? he was samano's bootlicker for a little while-- did we see him consciously change sides? is he there to spy? or was it just his group went with narino and he's a follower?

and about LHDM, i wonder if this space should become like the one for telemundo-- a space for all things telefutura, since it seems like many of us would like to discuss LHDM. so i won't ask about coger, but is the idea behind castrating classes skipping them, or taking them? it might make sense for an aggie school.

holy colosus! i'm in love. that guy is so dreamy. well, except for his huge sense of entitlement. it's nice to see another giant while baraya's out of the pola picture. i'll take more scenes of him changing his shirt please! and what would it be like to be pursued so relentlessly? like arcos's "i'm your future husband" X100!!!


-mai tai
 

Novelamaven... totally agree on the 'charming' category for LHDM. I actually peeked at just two eps in future, and stopped there thank God...
ok, back to the mexican vs colombian..
NEVER... i mean NEVER say 'china' in mex.. they will confuse with 'chinga' which is not proper language (you know what i mean)
but back to the novela words/phrases
Rosario said 'coger el bus' so Emiliano had fun with the 'coger' word first (in mex you say coger only if you are grabbing something x-rated)
bus in mex is more 'camion'

and yes, 'capar clases' is to skip class/school. So when she has to support her family or support Francisco in this case, she did skip her MBA classes.

Back to La pola...
Totally agree that Rodriguez act was graphically sickening... and narino was right to be so mad because it definitely sets the wrong example and gives the wrong impression as to what the reason for the bloodshed is.


and Leandro...
I spent some time this weekend rewatching what i have in my DVDR of la Pola... and i could tell Leandro DEFINITELY had a strong soft spot for his mom and for his brother, regardless of what his father was trying to brain-wash on him..
During the first revolt in Santa Fe when the viceroys were arrested, Leandro was yelling at Alejo that the 'people' were worth nothing, that they were (GENTUZA!!) useless/worthless people, and that they DID NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DECIDE ANYTHING!!
But that was then... and he came a long way from there...
Remember, he kind of hid some of Alejo's meetings with Pola from his dad,
he also gave Alejo Pola's letter explaining that it had been Mrs Gertrudis who accused him of 'stealing her virtue'... even if he gave it to him so late.
Before he grabbed Alejo's gun and protected Samano's life, he had heard when his dad told him that his mother and Alejo were 'inferior due to their bad race', and that might have turned the tide in his mind.
Also Leandro on his way out to spain with Samano, at the stop at Guaduas, after Pola put the knife at Samano's neck and showed her valour, Leandro asked Pola to make his brother happy... and it surely must have been real hard for him to admit by then that Pola was who could make Alejo happy even if she had other 'ideals'.
We hear that he and Alejo exchanged letters while Leandro was out since Alejo tells Pola what was happening in Spain and that it was Leandro who wrote it to him.
And finally Leandro appologized and admitted that he would ahve wanted to be a better brother but his dad always separated them.
 

Alejo even tells someone that the reason leandro left with Samano might have been at least partly because Leandro wanted to put distance between himself and his dad... (due to his realizing the bad influence of his dad's coaching about the 'raza' and undermining his mom and brother).
 

Also, Leandro also cleared to Alejo that yes, he had seen Pola in the slave stables mingling with slaves, but he also said that she was NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG!
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

As far as Iglesias is concerned... remember, at first there was only one 'army'... Iglesias is like a Francisco but in the army enlisted lines... he will follow the tide... at first he was in the troops representing Spain, commanded by whoever was there at the time... be it Samano, Baraya or whoever... It was Alejo who kept jumping in and out of the troops wagon. he was in the troop when troop came from Spain, then left when he thought to leave the military life behind to lead a 'normal' married life with Pola, then joined the troops again as his way to get out of jail (by his own admission to Pola he was confused as to whether he would stay in the troops), then when Narino was elected governor of Cundinamarca, he stayed with the troops , which this time were under narino's orders... to be near Pola. Then when the troop switched sides, he stayed in, until he realized that they had been lied to about Narino, and what kind of power-hungry, ambitious, stupid guy Baraya is and then he joined Narino's troops...
 

Iglesias follows whichever group he believes will be winner in the end and whichever group he thinks will give him more rank and power.
 

ITA that the LHDM food scene with Salas and the leutenant was great. I have enjoyed stuffed chiles, a dish that does not always look that appealing until you get your teeth into it and then.. heaven.
The green sauce (salsa verde) usually is very spicy so i usually stay away from it. Salas voice is very familiar to me since I used to see Daniel Lugo on leading man roles when i was in school.
 

Martaivett: You are like a gold mine full of great information. Thank you.
 

After this week, i can say more on Leandro ...
 

wow. read a little bit about the history behind all these names...
and it is great to read how much the writer of this novela took the time to get as much of the history facts and added his romance in there.
Caval was there, and his role in the battles ...
Lopezito (MI's cousin) was there too, more on him later
Narino, Pola and Alejo are real characters, what most people seem to question is the veracity of the 'romance' between them... imo who cares? their story as the writer portrays it, is lovely and definitely gives Pola the motive to go as far as she did.
Rodriguez and his decapit of Hasin are also true
as the guy we will get to know tonight and his role in history.
I have been careful not to put any spoilers here.
 

Arcos and Arellano are real as well. and of course Samano, Camilo Torres, Jorge T Lozano, Sabio Caldas, etc.
 

Marta, much as you have, I've tried to find out as much as I can about the characters. As best I can tell, there actually was a romantic connection between Pola and Alejo.
Most of the characters named in this were real people. I found it interesting that Pola is pictured on Colombian currency and that Nariño is mentioned by name in the Colombian national anthem.

An interesting fact that I ran across was that there is no evidence that Nariño's wife was ever unfaithful.

Carlos
 

yeah the biggest claim is that Lopezito does not mention it, but if i were him, I would have plenty reason not to. that detail would only matter to Pola and Alejo after all.
 

got monday's recap ready, will wait for Pasofino to open the blog, or will post by noon CST here.
 

Monday Aug 29

Samano gets removed from his ‘brigadier’ title by his superior/royal rep… sends him to Quito. Samano is in disbelief. Samano insists he was given orders in Spain to got o Santa Fe. The superior says are you deaf? He is given three reasons.
He is inept (he was shamefully defeated by a troop clearly in disadvantage)
He is a burglar (he won’t submit the figures/moneys of the ‘casas de rentas’ (taxes) of Popayan and Pasto)
He is a coward (all survivors say you abandoned your troops in the middle of the fight)
They are not insults, it’s the punetera reality.
He is told he is replaced by Gen Melchor Emerich. Samano says he does not have experience. The superior won’t listen to any arguments. He warns Samano that this city’s taxes are satisfactory, or he will go to jail.
(Samano walks away like smoking fire, says these imbeciles think I will give up so easily…)

Pola congratulates Catalina for her son being alive…
Cata tells her Domingo let her have the house to sell to try to buy her son back with the money.
She will find him even if she has to look around mine by mine.
Doctor comes to tell Catalina that Domingo wants to talk to her…
Cata goes over, Doctor tells Pola that Domingo is worse, it won’t be long now.

Domingo gives the house papers and the slave ownership papers for Bernarda, Acacia and Juliano to Catalina (lets her do whatever she wants with the slaves), tells her he did not kill Juliano when Juliano asked him to, for the same reason he is giving her the papers, tells her to do whatever her heart tells her, she says she doesn’t deserve all this, she was never the woman he wanted, he says she was, he is the one that failed because he never thought of her, not for being evil but for being brute, she says he changed, something in here (pointing to his chest) changed, he says he wants her to keep a nice memory of his… he wants to know if she forgave him… that’s all he needs to go in peace… she wants him to forgive her… he forgives her for breaking his heart… she thanks him for telling her her son is alive, he says he wishes that she finds him, and then dies shortly after. She cries over him.

Arcos talks to Juliano, Juliano tells him Domingo his owner is sister to Pola. Arcos asks him if the guy dies who will own him? Juliano says the mayor, Domingo gave all his property to him. Arcos tells him if we win you will be free. Juliano asks him you think that will be possible? Arcos says ‘that is what my General Narino said’

Pola is surprised to see how much Domingo’s death is affecting her. Gertrudis begins the ‘pittiful me what will happen to us now’ speech… Cata tells Bernarda and Acacia they are free now. They can do what they want. Gertrudis does not agree, will go to mayors house to argue it. Acacia wants to go back to the Valencias, doesn’t know where else to go.

Emerich says Samano’s reaction is normal. Says they have two advantages, the grounds are in favor of the defending side, and the people of the area are for the royal troops. HE guarantees that Narino’s advance toward Pasto will be pretty sad…
 

Camilo receives note that Narino beat Samano at Caribio, near Popayan. He says if Narino comes back as a hero, he will take everything from them. Jorge T asks what can they do against it. Camilo asks Baraya, Baraya says they have men in Narino’s troops, like Col Rodriguez, who can stop Narino’s successes. Camilo explains they don’t want the whole troop defeated, only narino. Jorge T wonders how far they will go with this. Camilo says it is Narino who forgot where he came from and who he is. If he returns he will give everything to the people. Jorge T says that is an assumption. Camilo says if we have the chance to get rid of that threat, why not do it? Jorge T argues that their main goal is to get rid of the spanish threat, not Narino. And if not Narino, who will get rid of the spanish for them? Baraya puts on a face like he expects to hear his name, but Camilo says he will go to Simon Bolivar… big blow for Baraya, he realizes he is being set aside. Camilo explains that Bolivar can’t stop at freeing Venezuela, for the change to be long term he needs to free all of America from the spanish rule. When Camilo wants Baraya to state his agreement, Baraya says he does not know Narino, Camilo or even himself (he obviously is regretful already).

Antonio meets with the wealthy men of Popayan, Gaspar wants to make a toast and a celebration, but Narino is in a hurry and wants to pass on the celebration, asks Caval to explain that the troops need money badly, they need 100 gold pesos… Gaspar insists, so Narino says he is not here to celebrate. The people of Popayan have not been thankful enough given the amount of blood and sweat the troops have given for them. He understand they were very generous with Samano, and if we are here to free you from the chains Samano’s guys put you on, we expect you to be no less generous with us.

Catalina tells Pola Domingo was nice to her the last few days. Pola says a bit late, don’t you think? Cata will go find her son. Won’t tell Juliano until she finds her son. Pola asks her what she will do with Juliano, Cata says set him free to do with his life whatever he wants, unless the war takes him… Pola is sure Cata would like Juliano to stay with her. Gertrudis comes to say she told the mayor the house is no longer on sale. Cata sends Pola running to try to get the buyer back. Cata tells Gertrudis she will sell the house. Gertrudis nags more about leaving her on the street. Cata threatens her not to say something like that again or she will get kicked out like a dog.

Alejo reminds Maria Teresa her husband can get her locked in jail for abandoning him. She says he won’t, he will be happy to get rid of me.
We see Francisco looking for MT around the house. ‘now where did this woman go?’

Gertrudis keeps nagging Cata about taking on a black son… Cata says it shows you were never a mom. Gertrudis figures out Cata plans to get back with Juliano… Gertr says as long as she lives she will not allow it, the girls just ignore her.
Pola: As long as she is maintained, this woman would make you live with the devil himself!
Pola will not leave Cata alone, need to find someone who knows about mines to help them, Cata suggests Pola go back, Cata wants to prove to herself she can do things alone. She is afraid, but the fear is not compared with her desire to see her son, and she has Bernarda to help her out.

At a chicheria, Ambrosio Almeyda arrives, Pola is sitting alone at a table. HE goes to sit by her and she says that spot is busy… he says he sees it empty. She was waiting for someone… he says that someone is very lucky. She plays hard to get… he asks if she is willing to hurt someone she does not even know. He knows her name, he is the person she was waiting for. The buyer for Domingo’s house. She is very serious.
 

At Valencias, Francisco arrives to breakfast, neither Eusebia or Gaspar are happy to see him. He claims he will leave in a few days, and says that MT is not feeling well. Eusebia and Gaspar look at each other with disgust. Gaspar reads a goodbye note from MT where she is ashamed of leaving without saying goodbye, says Alejo will take her to her brothers farm… she appologizes for all the trouble and says don’t worry about me. Francisco says she went ahead of him, then starts to nag about their attitude toward him… in comes Acacia… glad to see them again. Eusebia tells Acacia she was told Acacia escaped. Acacia says I would never do that. Gaspar asks her then what happened. Francisco tries to intimidate her with a stare but Gaspar steps between Francisco and Acacia and tells her to feel free to speak. She tells them Francisco sold her to someone at Guaduas. She explains the man who bought her died in the war and his wife set her free. She did not know anywhere else to go so she came back to them. Gaspar kicks Francisco out, wants him to leave within the hour. Francisco will leave but first tells the Valencias he is glad they did not become family, they are undereducated, tacanos, and the ‘bad race’ shows. Eusebia is offended, Gaspar says the important thing is we will finally free ourselves from such a nightmare.

Pola negotiates the price of the house with AA, his first offer is 200, she wont take less than 400. They agree on 280. She asks if he is a royal supporter or a patriot… He lies and says he wants the king to come back and restore order. She gets offended and is leaving… she wont sell her house to a chapeton. He says he is not. She won’t drink with him either. He asks her to sit down. He says he lied to her because he had to protect himself but he is a patriot. Pola says she doesn’t believe him. He says as if you were at the war. The waitress says la Pola was at the war already. AA laughs it off, is in disbelief.. asks her what she did at the war. Pola says you don’t know much about me. She asks how does she know he is a patriot? He says he is a patriot leader in other areas, where he has his farm… He needs a deposit place to store ‘things’ … gunpowder and other things. He has a group of his own, because he is watching for his own interests. She says she won’t take less than 320 for the house. AA congratulates Pola for being a good negotiator. She is ready to leave, he will need someone in Guaduas to receive his shipments and watch the movements in town… She has to reach the troop… women are very useful to the troops. He says he will be in town for a few days. She calls him Don AA, he says take off the ‘Don’. ‘When we split with Spain for good, those ‘silly’ customs will not matter, don’t you think?’

We see Francisco leaving the Valencias house with just a small suitcase, seems lost…

Back at the Chicheria Pola asks the woman at the bar, Candelaria, to teach her how to make homemade liquor. Pola says that could be so useful, to cheer up the troops before and after the battles, even to heal wounds. Even if she has to grind sugar cane at night. Candelaria agrees.
Candelaria tells Pola that AA is one of the riches men in New Granada.

Alejo returns to the Valencias to tell them his mother is fine, and sends her thank yous again. They tell Alejo Francisco said he was going to reunite with MT. Alejo doubts that is true.
HE tells them that the Pasto battle will be very tough. The grounds are very hard and the locals favor the royal troops. Eusebia asks him to say goodbye to MI before he leaves.
 

Col Rodriguez receives a note from Baraya, the country will be grateful to him if he manages to make Narino loose the battle, there will be power and monetary compensation for him if he does.

Arcos tries to cheer up Alejo, Pola will catch up with them. Alejo says he should not have let her go alone. After what happened to his brother he doesn’t feel like fighting anymore.

Narino leaves Leyva back in Popayan to continue helping them from here, sending weapons and food periodically. The communication between them is key. Caval will replace Leyva in command.

Days later, there is a first confrontation with the royal troops on the way to Pasto… as expected, Narinos troops are exposed while the royal troops have good coverage. Narino’s troops loose many men. We hear Narino yell constantly ‘take cover!!’

Juliano is shot at while crossing a river on the rope system, but he survives.

Pola receives a letter from Alejo. She puts a concerned face. The mail guy asks ‘bad news?’

Previews: in the battle, Alejo is in the middle of the battle.. Alejo says it is useless, and calls for retreat… Narino yells not to retreat, yells ‘follow me!’ and most men follow… Alejo stays frozen.
Pola tells Gertrudis AA offered her to stay in the house. Gertr says I want to stay. Pola says the offer was for me only.
Narino asks all his officers whether they should continue to Pasto or go back. All other officers suggest to continue on, even Rodriguez. Narino asks Alejo…
AA talks to Pola and says he wishes they could open the mail and find out what they say.
Narino yells at Alejo for not agreeing to move forward (from what I read in real life the one who suggested to go back was Caval and he is given credit for being right later on) and calls him coward and takes his rank away.
 

lol oopsie..
Domingo his owner is sister to Pola.
is meant to say Domingo his owner is married to Polas sister.
 

make that 100 THOUSAND gold pesos.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder