Thursday, October 13, 2011

Una Familia Con Suerte #7 Thu 10/13/11 Fernanda pulls the strings and everybody jumps (and cries and shouts)

Hello friends, didn't my son Ez do a great job recapping on Monday? I'm trying to persuade him to take a day but - taking his cue from the way Fernanda sicced Rebecca on our hero Pancho - he said - "only if you get some alarmingly attractive woman to come convince me." Seriously though you could write him at cerberez [at] gmail.com and tell him you want to see more of his funny writing!

There are only two of us currently recapping this show. Volunteers? I'm barely getting over strep throat so here's another bare bones recap, feel free to add details in the comments.
  • Setting us up for a splendid "pride goeth before a fall" moment (not tonight), Pina picked a tie for Mr Presidente. He says he's going out with Enzzo, she pitches a jealous fit, he thinks she's perfect for telenovelas, how about "The Carnival of Pina" or "The curses of Pina" or "The sins of Pina..." hah.

    She goes in to the tv room to whine on Freddy's cold shoulder. Next day she yells at the maid about the juice at breakfast and tells Vince (who's all hi-and-bye) she'll organize him a party.
  • Vince's bimbo of a secretary does a strip tease for him in some hotel I presume. "Make me yours, Mr. President!"
  • The grand meetup of the fresas and nacos at the party was kind of a bust. Eventually they get it straightened out - that "Freddy" is Alex and "Lupita" is Elena and Monica is there because her car broke down etc. Insults get traded. Pepe eventually fixes Monica's car (by replacing the wire he took out of it) and tells her about his little deception. "You're cute when you're angry," he says, channeling the Taming of the Shrew.

    Ana's band sings the show's theme song about our noble-hearted hero Pancho Lopez. Pancho dances with Rebeca. Chela seethes behind the buffet table.
  • Pancho still doesn't want to sign but invites Rebeca to come next day and go to the market with him, "see a day in the life of Pancho." Ugh, he sticks his tongue over his bottom teeth and leaves his jaw open, Ez and I both say "EEEWW!" in unison.
  • Is the flouncing Arnoldo ever going to have an actual purpose? He flounces in and tells Vince to wear the green tie, "it's the tie of a king, an emperor."

    The bimbo arrives and falls into Vince's arms, I was sure Pina would appear, but instead she is yelling at her hairdresser and tells him, too, that her hubby is soon to be emperor, I mean king, I mean president of Avon.
  • Surprise, surprise, the festival was not the solution to the neighborhood financial problems. The whole baying pack of hounds (the family and other residents of the neighborhood) start arguing about whether Poncho should accept the makeup gig (and become Poncho the Honcho).
  • A moving van pulls up and here is Enzzo with his goons to evict everybody at once, pronto. Remember, this is on Fernanda's orders - but he's happy to oblige, he already has a buyer who wants to put up a shopping center. There's lots of crying and shouting. Rebeca shows up! Ostensibly for her day at the vegetable market...

    ... but she calls off Renzo's dogs, to his chagrin (he complains to Fer on the phone but she haughtily reminds him all his dough is from her and he should just button it) and tells him she's paying off Pancho's whole debt ...

    ... and back at the casa popular Rebeca shas the contract in her purse, and it comes down to this: sign, and Fernanda pays your debt, saving your patrimony and the casa popular and all your neighbors.
  • The pressure continues, ok eventually he says yes. An excellent public service announcement is delivered by extras chanting "Read The Fine Print Whenever You Are Presented With A Contract" and Pancho asks Rebeca to read him the contract but he falls asleep somewhere in clause 16...

    ... and when she wakes him up he says he believes in a person's word. "Do you trust me?" "Yes, do you trust me?" "Yes." He signs. She calls Fer with the happy news. Chela is not happy, she confronts Rebeca and yells all the same things she yelled yesterday and so does Rebeca.

Labels:


Comments:
Melinama, I hope you are feeling better. Strep throat is miserable.

This might have been a bare bones recap but I think you covered everything. I'm surprised there aren't more people lining up to recap this one. The comedies are usually a lot easier to recap because of the exaggerated body language.

Do kings and emperors wear ties? Green ones I guess. And did I see Pancho's doggie wearing a tie in the previews?

I can't wait to see Monica's face when Pancho is announced as the new president. Heck, I can't wait to see everyone's faces, especially Vince's, when the announcement is made. Hopefully tomorrow.

Melinama, thanks for the terrific recap. Even when you are sick you have the magic.
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Melinama, sorry you're still recovering. Strep - my old nemesis! Strep claimed my tonsils, but I got my revenge. Despite your weakened state, I don't thnk you mssed anything.

No wardrobe malfunction for Candy. Thank goodness.

So very sad that Mo and Kari didn't get to see Britney.

I confess, I wasn't very happy with Fernanda for putting Pancho's family through such an ordeal. It's the height (nadir?) of arrogance to abuse one's power so flagrantly in the name of "helping," especially when the "helping" is just part of a bigger plan to play a really mean trick, er, I mean teach a lesson to someone else. (I assume she'll be hearing about it from Chela and/or Pancho once they discover that she was pulling the strings.)

As for Evil Rinaldi, I just remind myself that soon Pepe will probably be banging that man's daughter.

I hope I see Pina squeezing grapefruits by hand in the final episode.
 

Pancho the Honcho...love it. And hat's off to anyone who can write a clear-cut, wry re-telling of a chaotic episode while in the throes of strep throat. You're still the master.

I will certainly write to your talented son. At my age, I don't qualify as a gorgeous gal, but maybe I could exert grandmotherly pressure. Will certainly try!
 

I liked the green tie (the two-tone striped one, right?), but thought it was sort of flashy for the occasion... not that the occasion is going to be what he thinks it is.

If he wants to wear a loud, emperor-worthy color, it should be the pink of the Avon logo. Duh!
 

What is that name that Pancho keeps calling Enzo Rinaldi? It starts with a T and it isn't Rinaldi's name, so is it a nickname? Is it some kind of pun or pop culture reference to a similar famous person?

Since Mo didn't react to the name when Pepe mentioned it to her, I figure it's not the name of his business or anything obvious like that.

I know Pancho messes up names a lot (and apparently I was wrong when I said he's good at making up words, he seems to just be messing those up too), but the name he uses for Rinaldi is too different to be a simple mixup.

Speaking of messing up words, I've noticed that Rebeca corrects him frequently. He doesn't seem to mind, but I wonder if it'd bother him more to be corrected by an ugly dude!
 

I think he's trying to say RInaldi's first name and I am now confused too. Enzzo or Rizzo or Renzo or ...
 

His official first name is Enzo, but the name Pancho uses is longer and starts with a T. I'll see if it comes up again tonight.
 

Julie, Pancho and Chela kept calling him Trancenti or Transeti or something like that. I gathered it was a malapropism on his name but if it is a play on another word I didn't get the joke. It kind of sounds like transeúnte (outsider or non-resident) but I have no idea if that's what it's supposed to be. If it's a joke on Rinaldi's perfectly coiffed that would be funny.

I agree, the emperor-worthy tie would definitely have to be pink!
 

...perfectly coiffed HAIR (missing word on my last comment).

Chela is the first one who used the mystery name last night. She shrieked it as Enzo got out of the car. Then she called him a chuco whatever that is.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder