Thursday, December 01, 2011

La Fuerza del Destino #83 Wed 11/30/11 Dining, Whining, y Caras Impactadas as two divorces begin brewing to the boiling point

Recap by Urban Anthropologist

Please provide any missing details. Gracias.

Antes

In the hospital in D.F. Carolina asks about Antolin while lying in the bed after the operation. Tony leaves to call Ivan while Carolina confides her anxiety to Lucia.


Nuevo

Hotel, D.F.: Ivan arrives at the hotel in D.F. and tells Tony what happened with Camilo and the Merry Piece, also the update on Antolin's situation.

Restaurant, evening: JJ and Lucrazia dine and whine, with lots of vino tincto.

JJ: After everything you've told me, don't doubt that Lucia will ask Camilo for a divorce. I spoke with him the other day about the fight with Ivan and he's dying of jealousy.
Lucrazia: And this stupidity is ruining everything.
JJ: Is it true he's been ordered off the ranch?
Lucrazia: My mother did that.
JJ: Carlota is very decisive.
Lucrazia: But I don't want another family scandal.
JJ: Lucrezia, times change.
Lucrazia: And what about your wife?
JJ (takes off his wedding ring): I will begin again. (drops the ring in the wineglass) That's what I think of divorce. She was good for nothing. And who knows? After a while you and I can get married. Think of it: Two important names, combining our ranches. We could recover the prestige we had. How does that sound to you?
Lucrazia: I will think about it.
JJ: Think about it, mi reina. Think about it. It could be a good solution. (pours more wine)

As long as we don't have to watch the wedding night, who cares?


Hotel Restaurant, D.F.: Lucia goes down to eat and finds Ivan at the table.

Lucia: What are you doing here?
Ivan: My father was tired and I asked if I could accompany you to dinner.
Lucia: He didn't say anything. Why are you in Mexico?
Ivan: I came for all of you to bring you back to Alamos.
Lucia: I thought he would send for Benito.
Ivan: Yes, but the only chauffeur he'll trust is me.
Lucia: Sounds a little presumptuous.
Ivan (amiably): But I drive very well, I have good reflexes, and this is an important cargo I'm bringing back. Besides I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to talk with you away from home. So we can open our hearts. My godmother told me you and Camilo have separated and she told me the reason.
Lucia: Well, it doesn't mean anything.
Ivan: If you say so, but why don't we talk like the good friends we used to be? Lucia, I know I'm the most responsible for what happened between us for putting my son before you.
Lucia: But there was nothing else to do.
Ivan: Maybe, but many times I've thought that there was another solution.
Lucia: What?
Ivan: Allow Alex to live with Maripaz for a while. Soon she would have started drinking again and I could have refiled for full custody. But he was too afraid to live alone with her.
Lucia: Ivan, you did the right thing.
Ivan: But it hurt me so much to leave you.


Casa Galvan: Camilo whines. And cries. Arcelia reminds him that he knew Lucia didn't love him when they got married. Same conversation as several times before, ending with him swearing he will not give Lucia a divorce. If she can't be his, she will not be anyone else's.


Hotel Restaurant, D.F.:

Ivan: And how is the baby?
Lucia: Very well. Very happy and healthy.
Ivan: And very pretty. Why did you name her “Perla”?
Lucia: It was Camilo's idea.
Ivan: I spoke with my godmother and she said Camilo is no longer living at the ranch.
Lucia: No. We have problems. Thanks for the dinner.

Ivan signals for the waiter.


Commercial Break that leads with a promo for La Que no Podia Amar.

Hotel, D.F.: Ivan walks Lucia back to her room and kisses her, but chastely, She looks like she wishes she were elsewhere. Like a convent.

Casa Mondragon: David brings Berenice home to introduce her to JJ.

David: Papa! I present to you Berenice Escalante.
JJ: Holâ.
Berenice: Holâ. It's a pleasure to meet you, sir.
JJ: Escalante?
Berenice: Yes.
JJ: That's not a local name.
Berenice: No, my family is from Hermosillo. My father is a nuclear physicist and my mother is a professor of physics and math.
JJ: Interesting. And who works?
David (reproachfully): Papa!
JJ: You'll explain another time.
David: Berenice and I are novios. And when she gets her degree in child psych we'll get married.
JJ (sarcastically): Married? Do you make enough money to support her?
Berenice: I will also be working.
JJ: Getting married and working?
Berenice: Yes.
David: Dad, I'd like for you and mother to come with me to Hermosillo to ask for her hand.
JJ: No; it's better if they come here.
David: But it's the custom.
Berenice: Mi amor, it's not important to me, and less to my parents.
JJ: You really mean to get married to this –
Berenice: We're in love.
JJ: Are you aware of his problem?
Berenice: Yes. Don't worry; we've slept together.
JJ: You're very direct, aren't you?
Berenice: Yes.
JJ: Oh, well. That's your business. It was a pleasure to meet you. (exits)
David (sardonically): And now you've met my father.
Berenice: Mi amor! I'm not marrying your father or your family, or you mine. What do you say we go back to my place, have something delicious, and then you and I will make love?
David: Hmmm. (They kiss. JJ -- who has been watching them -- clears his throat)
Berenice: It was a pleasure to meet you, Señor Mondragon.
JJ: Carry on.

David and Berenice exit. JJ clearly doesn't believe he's seeing another decisive woman in his house. Get out of the Victorian era, JJ; strong women are the current norm.


Jail: Carmen visits Antolin. She tells him she won't let him pay for her stupidity. He is still determined to protect her at whatever cost to himself. He asks about Carolina, but Carmen hasn't heard anything yet. She surreptitiously slips him a cell phone. He makes her promise not to admit her guilt and she promises.

Hospital, D.F.: The doctor takes the bandages off Carolina,, who is afraid to open her eyes. Finally she does and sees Lucia and the doctor for the first time! The doctor tells her she still needs to wear the bandage and wants her to return in a week, etc.

Lawyer Zabaleta's Office: The receptionist informs him that Carmen is there to see him.

Jail: Antolin calls Camilo, who is out in the fields. He tells him he's worried about Carmen spilling the frijoles and how this will affect their mother.

Lawyer Zabaleta's Office: Carmen tells him of her role in the situation. She had been under the impression that Saul wanted her to help him help his dad with Lucrazia. She doesn't want Antolin to pay for her stupidity. At Zabaleta's enquiry as to her relationship with Saul, she tells him that he's the father of her child. Zabaleta is un poquito impactado.

Rancho Socorro: Ezekiel tells Camilo that Lucia went to D.F. with Carolina and Tony. Camilo flashes back to the time he taught Lucia how to drive the tractor. [Camilo, snap out of it!] Carmen runs out and Camilo gives her the same lecture about prison. Their mother is prepared for the day when something happens to Antolin but not to her. He talks about her being locked up with violent criminals and how she could easily be killed in prison. She tells him he can't stop her. She doesn't care if she goes to jail as long as Antolin doesn't pay for something he didn't do. Besides, she's already talked to the lawyer.

Road back to Alamos, night: Ivan drives back with Lucia in the shotgun seat. They stop. Tony gets out for a few minutes to stretch because his back hurts.

Hacienda Curiel: Lucrazia and Carlota talk about JJ's proposal.

Lucrazia: How lonely this house feels.
Carlota: Daughter, what do you know of Maripaz?
Lucrazia: Nothing. Mama, the other day we talked about Juan Jaime. Did you know he's getting divorced?
Carlota: Yes, you told me.
Lucrazia: What do you think – Juan Jaime proposed to me. Well, that we might get married.
Carlota: You and him? Are you crazy?
Lucrazia: Why not? He said we'd combine our ranches and our position would improve.
Carlota: Ah, how obvious it is. He's got his claws out for our lands. Tell him no.
Lucrazia: But Mama, we'd benefit. Besides he knows a lot; he's been about cultivation all his life. Now that we have nothing I don't have much confidence without him.
Carlota: And I don't trust Juan Jaime. He'll do what benefits him, as always.
Lucrazia: But if I was his wife...
Carlota: Ay, daughter if you marry him you'll be living in hell. As to the ranch you're not putting the lands in the hands of that shameless arsehole. [sinvergüenza] Punto.
Lucrazia: How negative you are.

No; just realistic.

Road back to Alamos: Ivan and Lucia stare at Cosmo's moon – which looks more like a pepperoni pizza than a giant snowball – and mention destiny. She finally admits she loves him. Kisses that look real. Por fin. ”That's amore.”


Commercial Break that leads with promos for El Talismán and CME.

Casa Galvan: Camilo lectures Carmen again about how horrible prison would be for her compared to what it would be for Antolin.

Angelina's Casa, morning: JJ arrives and Angelina tells him she's glad to see him and that he needs to prevent Esther from doing something stupid. “There has never been a divorce in our family. I pray to God this won't be the first. To think of the loss of values of our parents.” [Egad; she's either senile or nobody told her about David and the Merry Piece.]

JJ: What's up, Esther? Aren't you glad to see me?
Esther: Of course.
JJ: Well, then give me a kiss. (Kisses her, but she just stands there stiffly)
Angelina: Well, I'll leave you alone. You must have a lot to talk about. Can I get you a drink?
JJ: No, thanks. (Angelina exits)
Esther: You want to sit down?
JJ: Yes; after you. (They both sit) Esther, I miss you a lot.
Esther: Ah, si.
JJ: Your children miss you, too. Lucrezia asks about you.
Esther: I guess she asked about our divorce.
JJ: That's what I've come to talk about.
Esther: If you're here to get me to change my mind, you're wasting your time. I have made my decision.
JJ: Yeah; I've never seen you this firm. But no; I'm not here to try to get you to come back with me. After all, you have your reasons and I respect that. I came to say that I'm going to give you the divorce.


Hospital, D.F.: Ivan, Tony, Lucia, and Carolina leave. Ivan and Lucia are finally smiling. This obviously is a signal for the anvil to be hoisted.

Angelina's Casa:

Esther: I couldn't have changed my mind. Your infidelities and maltreatment will help me win. [conseguir]
JJ: I'd like us to avoid [evitar] the scandal and unpleasantness. It won't do us any good. A lo mejor, women always get the worst of it. You know that. But in exchange for avoiding those bad moments allow me to continue to manage your property that's part of the estate. What do you say?
Esther (ironically): I knew you'd try to get me alone for this.
JJ: It will benefit you, woman. If we're getting a divorce and dividing our assets, you aren't capable of managing the land.
Esther: You know what, Juan Jaime? I'm going to talk to David.
JJ: Well, there's nothing more I can do here. (gets up) I'm going.
Esther: Tell me the truth. Why are you suddenly agreeing to the divorce?
JJ: Because I have plans. Aren't you curious? Just to let you know my plans don't include you. Say goodbye to your sister for me. (He gives her the once-over before departing. What a tool. Esther rolls her eyes before sitting down again. Angelina re-enters)
Angelina: What happened? Has he left?
Esther: Yes. He agreed to the divorce.

Angelina is impactada.


Casa McGuire: Alex is happy Carolina is home.

David's Office / Angelina's Casa: David and Esther talk over the phone over the property situation

David: No, Mother. Things can't go that way. Whom does the ranch belong to?
Esther: The ranch is from your father's family. But my inheritance paid for repairs.
David: And the house?
Esther: Also his family, but my inheritance helped pay for the remodeling.
David: And the bank accounts?
Esther: Ay, son, I don't know anything about that.
David: Mom, I want to see all the papers to make sure everything is correct.
Esther: But I don't want to annoy your father. Leave things as they are.
David: No, Mother. You have the right to your share.
Esther: Son, I don't want to annoy him. I'm afraid.

Casa McGuire: Everyone finally convinces Carolina to stay there, as she can't live alone yet. Tony introduces her to Bruno, who seems to like her. She seems to like him, too.


Commercial Break

Rancho Socorro: Ivan takes Lucia home and he asks when they will see each other again. She reminds him of her exam in a few days while he's eager to see his daughter. She doesn't deny that Perla is his.

Ag Ass Office: Camilo explains to JJ about not wanting for Carmen to end up in jail. They talk about a solution. JJ tells the secretary to get Tony on the phone. Camilo doesn't see what good this will do because Ivan hates Saul enough to want to see him in jail.

Hacienda Curiel: Lucia explains about Carolina's operation to Carlota, who is glad that in the midst of all the turmoil Carolina gets the blessing of sight. Carmen exits uncomfortably, saying she's getting the baby's food. Lucia and Carlota notice that something is up with her.

Casa McGuire, Tony's office: Tony gets off the phone with JJ and tells Ivan that JJ was looking to get Saul to marry Carmen. There will be a meeting and Tony says Camilo will be there because this is about the future of his siblings. He asks if Ivan would like him to handle it, but Ivan wants to be present as well.

Hacienda Curiel: Lucia finally tells Carlota she loves Ivan, etc. She praises his fatherly ways and Carlota brings up the issue of whether he was jealous about Lucia sleeping with Camilo. She says that nothing has been said, that it's logical that a married couple would sleep together. Carlota comments that this speaks well of Ivan. The anvil's rope is starting to fray.

Casa McGuire, Tony's office: Zabaleta reveals Carmen's information. That Saul planned the kidnapping because JJ wouldn't pay for his surgery. He was looking for information about Lucrazia's routine; Carmen merely suspected that there was an extra-marital relationship between Lucrazia and JJ, who mentions he would have paid a ransom. And that after his divorce he will marry Lucrazia.

Hacienda Curiel: Carlota and Lucia talk about the divorce. Lucia is afraid of the pain this will cause Camilo, but Carlota reminds her that she needs to think of herself.

Casa McGuire, Tony's office: Licenciado Lara and his near-Italian accent ask Camilo if he knows El Gordo. Camilo answers in the affirmative. The guy's real name is Miguel Hernandez, but he seems to have disappeared. Camilo denies that Carmen knew about the theft of the pistol. Ivan points out that the place the pistol was found must mean something. JJ denies that Saul could have been involved because he took away his car after the accident. He implies that Carmen is dragging him into this. Ivan doesn't buy this and knows JJ doesn't. JJ accuses him of wanting Saul in prison out of hatred, but Ivan only wants to avoid sending an innocent man to prison. Saul got Carmen involved through false promises and now she's the one being dragged into this. Camilo agrees. JJ says to go ahead and arrest Saul, but that Carmen will have to answer for it as well. He leaves.

Lara is all for getting this out in the open. He asks Camilo whether El Gordo is a friend of Antolin's and whether there is a reason he would do this to him. Camilo says that Antolin gave him a bloody good hiding [paliza]. Finally he says that Antolin is willing to go to prison to spare Carmen. Carolina overhears this part and nearly falls on the step on her way into the room. Tony catches her before she falls.


Commercial Break

Casa McGuire, Carolina's room: Ivan tries to reassure Carolina, who is carrying on as she used to.

Casa Mondragon: Saul begs his father to help him.

Saul: Papa, help me. I don't want to go to jail. I promise I'll change.
JJ: But you're a pobre diablo. Useless. I should never have recognized you as my son. You're not the only bastard I have around here. [WTF???] (The phone rings twice) You're as useless as the servant. Nobody is answering. (picks up phone)

Licenciado Lara wants to see him and Saul in his office about this whole affair. JJ agrees and asks for the time and address. Who wants to bet he will throw Saul under the autobus?

Rancho Socorro, night: Camilo drives up to Lucia's room saying he's there to see Perlita, who is sleeping. Lucia doesn't answer her phone; Camilo realizes it must be Ivan. Camilo apologises and begs her not to leave him, but she doesn't want to discuss Ivan. Camilo tells her she might become Ivan's mistress, but never his wife because he will never give her a divorce.

Someone needs to tell him it's not easy to stop one.

Ivan gets the recorded message that the cell number is off or out of the service area. He calls Carlota, who goes to Lucia's room. Lucia tells her she didn't answer because Camilo was there. Carlota brings up the matter of divorce. Since Camilo was caught in flagrante delicto with Maripaz, Lucia has the perfect grounds. Lucia, however, starts singing her mother's favorite song “No Quiero Escandalos”. Carlota tells her it will get worse yet: JJ is divorcing Esther to marry Lucrazia. Lucia is impactada and her expression indicates distaste.


Avances:

Looks like the Merry Piece will get her way with Camilo as something appears to be wrong with JJ. Camilo is planning to accuse Lucia of infidelity and sue for custody of Perla.


Vocabulary:

conseguire to win
evitar to avoid
paliza beating
sinvergüenza swine, shameless arsehole

Labels:


Comments:
Vivi,

Excellent recap. I felt I was watching it again. This TN sometimes surprises me that it's so good, last night's episode was a good one, one scene after another. Carmen completely surprised me, and finally somehow the Camillo character seems to have grown on me.
 

Nellie- It was Urban who gave us this great recap. I ditto your sentiments that it was excellent. Loved the dialogue Urban!

I agree that Lucia and Ivan's kissing has gotten better. Perhaps they were being directly to kiss like bass before when their relationship was new, but now that they've both matured it's different? Lucia/Sandra still needs to give more of herself/more passion/feeling in those scenes though.

Carmen has really surprised me too in the last two episodes. I'm glad she seems to be coming around. I'm not sure how they are going to resolve this kidnap/murder issue without either she or Anto being implicated, unless they convince Saul to say it was all Gordo and not mention Carmen at all. He would have to get something out of the deal though. Perhaps the surgery?
 

UA, this was fabulous.

I love your translating the dialog, it is so helpful! Your title was superb and vocabulary greatly appreciated.

Vivi and Nellie, ITA that Carmen's recent actions have been a pleasant surprise. Vivi, I loke your idea for Saul to point all fingers at Gordo! Not really unfair, Gordo is the one who did the actual killing.

I think Lucia has far better chemistry with Cam. That kiss on the tractor? Amazing. Of course, how I tore my eyes away from Cam's bulging arms is even more amazing. :)

Glad David is on the road to happiness.

Diana
 

I had to laugh when Bernie told JJ flat out that she'd already taken the merchandise (David) for a test run. She is a MUCH different kind of woman than he's used to. No games or manipulations (like MP, Carmen, or Lucrezia), and no shrinking and cowering (like Esther and Judith). Maybe some of the Alamos women need to go to whatever town Bernie grew up in.

My two favorite scenes of the night were small ones that had nothing to do with plot. I loved how everyone competed for hugs from Alex and seeing how loved he is. I also could not pay attention to anything Lucia and Carly were saying in their scene when Lucia got home because baby Perlita was just too cute and smiley. I am such a sucker for cute kid/baby scenes. :)
 

Thank you for the wonderful recap UA. Finally, Lucia admits she still loves Ivan. I am so glad Carmen stood up and admitted what she did. I agree with all of you, she totally surprised me. She loves Anto very much I think. I love Lic Lara's almost Italian. I lived in Sicily for three years(I was in the US Navy) and he sounds like a native. I really hope that Lucrazy doesn't marry Juan Heil Me.
But they kind of deserve each other.

Madelaine
 

hi! New to leaving comments here....in the avances for tonight it says camilo is gonna try and sue lucia for custody of the baby, but unless I saw wrong didn't camilo cheat? Not lucia?
 

Well if Camilo decides to claim that Lucia is unfaithful, Lucia could always say that Camilo was caught bucknaked with Maripaz in his bedroom, and she, Carlota & Lucrazia saw it. Also Cleto could testify he saw Camilo/MP kissing by the stables. Camilo REALLY doesn't want to go there.

So is Saul illegitimate?

Ester is right to be scared, why is JJ giving up on her so easily?
 

I think if Carmen can convince a couple of lawyers that Saul tricked her into telling him about Lucrazia's routine she can convince a judge and will be off the hook. However her guilt will be another matter and she will need help with that.

It's like she's growing a conscience while Camilo is losing his.

Alex is such a lucky kid to have the love of all these people -- and a very loving dog. Now Benito needs to bring his wife and kids to live with him so Alex can have playmates after school. Imagine what a protective big brother he will be in a few years.

I think JJ will be the first of the evil ones to pay for his sins, payment due tonight. If that is not the case and Lucrazia actually marries him, Carlota should change her will and leave everything to Lucia.

I always thought that Saul was the child of JJ's previous wife, but he could just as easily be the son of a servant he seduced during that marriage. This wouldn't be a novela first.

Word verification: sequalme, which I hope means I will get to cover Merry Piece's final fate.
 

Yay! Thanks UA - well worth the wait!

The JJ Berenice conversation was hilarious! Glad you wrote it out. JJ was so funny with the "Well you're very direct, aren't you?" line.

Can't believe Camilo is going to roll in the hay again with MP! Somehow this has a groundhog day feel to it.

Yeah, Pili, for some reason Camilo thinks he can convince a judge (I guess) that Lucia is cheating with Ivan, even though Camilo is the one committing adultery.

I think Camilo is trying to steal the más sin vergüenza (most shameless) prize from MP.

Audrey
 

Well, that would just about do it. Although the most shameless person in this story after Maripaz is probably JJ, followed by Lucrezia. Those two deserve each other.
 

"Ester is right to be scared, why is JJ giving up on her so easily?"

JJ has always wanted to get his hands on those Curiel lands, that's why he tried so desperately to marry his sons off to the Curiel girls. Now that that's a bust, and he's free, he sees an opportunity to marry into the Curiels himself. I think he believes he can keep Esther's money that she brought into the marriage AND get hold of Lucrezia's lands. I hope David makes sure she gets her money, and MORE for the emotional abuse she had to put up with all those years.

I was surprised to hear JJ call Saul a bastard. Yes, it's highly likely that his first wife accepted a child he had fathered out of wedlock. Perhaps she couldn't have children of her own.
 

I think he believes he can keep Esther's money that she brought into the marriage AND get hold of Lucrezia's lands.
-------------------------

Yes, and she told JJ that she would have David look into things. And David would probably find lots of mismanagement and fraud. The best way for JJ to keep her money AND get Lucrazia's land is for Ester to do. IMO that's why Ester is scared.
 

Great recap. This TN has gotten very good. I agree with you Vivi, I loved the scene where everyone wanted to hug Alex, he's so adorable. I also liked the scene where Tony introduced the dog to Caro. I thought that was such a pleasant household for her to recuperate in. It' s very different at the Curiels and Mondragons. Those people are always miserable.
 

It seems that Camilo is going to have to die in order for Lucia and Ivan to have a happy ending. maybe he'll get a real aggressive venereal disease from MP. JJ should die just because he's such an a__hole. Saul and Gordo should rot in jail. MP and Lucrezia need some form of punishment too. Maybe they should just lose all their money. They already lost their status.
 

Urban, that was an exceptional recap. Your dialogue and timing were flawless. Thanks for the detailed conversations, like the one with Berenice and JJ-she really put him in his place.
Camilo is in a bad place, but he is nowhere near JJ or MP. His big mistake was falling in love with Lucia. But he would have never approached her if Carlota hadn't urged him. He's weak, but, he's kind of a victim. So if he stopped ruminating about Lucia now, and divorced her, he would survive this. But the way he is going, he is going to do something stupid, life changing, and irreversible.
The worse thing about JJ marrying Lucrezia is that Carlota would have to live with them.
 

Un gran recap UA, gracias.

Cabeza mierda JJ has to tell everyone about David's problem?????????????

Ok, Camilo is going to accuse Lucia of infidelity, EXCUSE ME. #1 Lucia hasn't, at least not yet, #2 how many witnesses to Camilo's hanky panky?

Anon207
I think JJ was referring to Iván as his bastard son. I think Saul was JJ's by, I thought another wife, but I'm not sure if that has been revealed, he just isn't Ester's, lucky woman.

They sure do find the bebe's más preciosos. She was so cute & happy & I loved her hair do.

Variopinta
 

The baby mohawk gives us something to smile about in all this mess.

(Word verification- Coodile. I'd love to coodile that little baby and her funny hair)

Kelly
 

Another winner UA!!!!!!!!!!! I always enjoy your line-by-line conversation translations. I'm hoping you get the MP downfall episode, too. You are always so insightful.

The actress who plays Carmen did a great job last night. I'm glad Carmen is growing a conscience.

I've had it with:
-Camilo and his celos.

-Lucia and her "No Quiero Escandalos"

But I love:
-Perlita

-All the love and affection in Tony's house. Can't remember who said it, but I want Benito to bring his family there, too.
 

I suspect she will fall in the finale, as she is hte most egregious of the villains in this series. So I have to hope that the finale is on a miercoles....
 

JJ said " you're not the only bastard etc." We know Ivan is one so is Saul the other?
 

I'm wondering. In the US and Britain the word "bastard" can also be the male equivalent of "bitch." Could Mexicans possibly be applying the same usage?
 

UA: Yes.

Jarocha
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder