Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Por siempre mi amor #1 12/2/13: These Checks Don't Balance

We open on a festive family scene - a lovely couple descends the stairway as their daughter throws flower petals. We hear applause and cheers and there are hugs all around. The party is very small, just the happy couple, their servants, and a few guests.

Another party scene. Isabel looks lovely in a royal blue strapless dress. "Where's Fernando? He was here just a moment ago." Her friend Gabriela doesn't seem surprised and mutters, "It never fails." Isabel is not amused. She warns Gaby about bad-mouthing her man. Gaby nods and makes the the "zipping her lips" gesture. I already have the feeling that the yet unseen Fernando is a schmuck.

Back at the house the small family party is all smiles. Eugenia tells Arturo that she is the luckiest woman in the world. Eugenia's daughter Aranza jumps onto her mother's lap, smiles at her parents and proclaims them the bestest parents in the world ever. Eugenia tells the maid (whose dress reminds me of Dorothy's in the Wizard of Oz) to please bring a glass of milk for Aranza to join in the toast. Everyone raises their glasses. But where is Aunt Sonia?

Sonia is upstairs emptying pills from a brown bottle into a small container. She closes the container and puts it into the drawer of the nightstand, then puts a single pill into a kleenex. She tucks the brown bottle back into her evening bag and snaps it shut. "Oh, Eugenia. You think you're taking anti-coagulents." She smirks. "I just wish these pills would work faster." Sonia stands and straightens her hair as the maid comes into the room. "They're waiting for you."

"I was just on my way down." Sonia walks out. The maid looks skeptical and glances around the room. Nothing seems out of place... but still...

Downstairs Sonia gives Eugenia the kleenex with the pill inside. "Gracias, Sonia. You're always so concerned with my health." Eugenia puts the pill on the coffee table. "First, we must toast." Everyone raises their glass and shouts, "Feliz Aniversario!" Glasses clink. Everyone drinks. Sonia lets her eyes wander over the happy scene with just a touch of malice on her lips.

Isabel's missing husband Fernando enters her office. He crosses over to a desk and picks up a black handbag. He removes something from it. It's a checkbook. "Oh, Isabel my love. It is so easy to steal from you. Seriously." Yes. I was right. Fernando is a Grade A Schmuck. He rips a check from the checkbook, folds it and tucks it into his inner jacket pocket. He puts the checkbook back into the purse. "And all the money I have left to steal." He smiles.

Fernando walks into the party saying "Buenos Noches" to everyone he passes. Very few return his greeting. Okay, if that's not a tell I don't know what is.

He walks up and takes Isabel by the waist, "Are you happy, Beautiful?" Isabel grabs hold of him. "Oh, yes my love! We've been waiting to cut the ribbon!" She tries to get Fernando to stand by her side. He brushes her off with "It's your moment, my love." Gaby is having none of this. She growls at Fernando, "Hurry up Fernando! We haven't got all night!" Fernando moves closer but as the women count down to the ribbon cutting, "Uno...Dos...Tres..." he backs away. The ribbon falls to the floor amid cheers. Isabel pulls Fernando close to her side. He protests, "No photos. You know I have a fear of photos. They steal your soul." Say what?? "Besides, I have a surprise for you." He turns Isabel around as fireworks light up a sign that reads:
 
Feliz Inauguration
Y Todo El Excito
Que Te Mereces
Mi Adorada Isabel

"Wow! Fernando!" Isabel is ecstatic. She grabs Fernando and plants kisses on him as a photographer snaps away. Fernando spots him. What to do? What to do? Fernando decides Isabel must have her favorite drink, a Cosmopolitan, but he can't seem to find a waiter. He moves off as Isabel waves a waiter down. "Get her a Cosmopolitan."

Arturo talks to his guests. He is very happy in his marriage despite his parents' objections. They wanted him to marry Maracel, but Maracel would never have made him as happy as Eugenia has. But Arturo's marriage has cost him. He was cut out of his inheritance.

Eugenia and her mother Tita talk about Bruno. He needs a woman. He needs a family. His life is nothing but work, work, work. Sonia walks over, "Did you take your pill?" Eugenia hasn't, so Sonia offers to get her a glass of water. A cell phone rings. The doctor answers and has a very brief conversation. It's an emergency. He must leave. Suddenly everyone must leave. I guess they all came in the same car. The small party starts to break up. All that food...

Isabel and Fernando are canoodling. He sees something across the room and pulls away. "I have another surprise for you. But it's in the car." He leaves and Isabel gives a blissful sigh.

Fernando has followed the photographer out of the building. "Give me the film from your camera." "Perdon?"

At the anniversary party Tita and Bruno head for the door. As they leave Eugenia suddenly clutches her forehead in pain and has to sit down. Did no one ever tell her not to mix alcohol and pills?

Arturo and the Doctor talk outside. "Your father is all alone now that your mother has passed. I'm sure he'd enjoy being a Grandfather to Aranza." "My father is free to visit. My door is always open." The doctor consigns himself to the father-son rift and says his good-byes.

Tita and Bruno come down the stairs. In this lighting her hair matches her blouse. Tita tells Arturo she isn't leaving, she's being taken. Bruno wonders why she always has to make a scene. "He always wants to leave when we start talking about him getting married." No wonder he's hustling her into the car.

Eugenia and Sonia talk in the living room. Eugenia's headache is getting worse. Sonia offers to call the doctor. "No, No. I'll be fine. I'm just tired. Please don't tell Arturo about this. I don't want to worry him." Famous. Last. Words. I think I see a vulture sitting on the mantle.

Aranza tells her mom she is tired. It's late. Eugenia and Sonia take her up to bed. The maid takes a full cheese plate from the table. Suddenly I'm hungry.

Outside, Fernando asks the photographer, "Do you want to make it home alive? Do you want your kids to be orphans? Do you want your wife to be a widow?" Well, I guess that's one way of getting straight to the point. The photographer shakes his head no, no, and no. He quickly takes the film from his pocket. He hands it to Fernando. First it was checks and now film. All paper, nothing digital. Fernando is an old-school criminal. Fernando pockets the film and tells the photographer, "Now, see how easy that was?" He smiles an evil smile and heads back into the party.

Aranza wants her Papa. Sonia offers to go and fetch him. My, Sonia certainly has been helpful tonight hasn't she?

Downstairs, Arturo is gazing lovingly at a picture of his wife and daughter. A woman's hands encircle his waist from behind. We see a smiling Sonia rest her head on his shoulder. Arturo smiles and leans his head against hers until he realizes it's not his wife that has him wrapped in this tight embrace. He jumps away. Sonia tells him that she just came down to get him. Aranza wants him upstairs. Sonia looks at him innocently. Arturo appears thoroughly rattled by what has just happened.

Fernando smiles at Isabel. Then we see the same smile in a black-and-white photo in a small shabby room. A young woman, Andrea, is playing on the bed with a toddler. Her older son tells her, "You never pay any attention to me." She tells him, "Come on. We can jump on the bed together!" They laugh and jump. Andrea's mother Mine storms into the room. "Enough! Enough!!" She screams that she is tired of the noise, she is tired of watching the kids, she is tired of the kids themselves. "I wish you'd take your kids and get out!" The poor kids are crying now. Andrea looks ashamed.

Back at the party Fernando takes Isabel aside. He tells her not to scream and opens a small box. It's a gold band with diamonds. There is much screaming and excitement. Isabel puts the ring on and wags her hand toward Gaby and her friends. They are all impressed. They should be. Something tells me Isabel paid through the nose for that cheap cubic zirconia.

Eugenia and Sonia say their good-nights as Arturo and Aranza kneel down together to pray. Eugenia and Sonia talk in the hall. "I really appreciate all you did for us, Sonia. You are the best cousin in the world. You're like my sister."
"Wasn't your anniversary party rather small?"
"Yes, but Arturo prefers it that way."
"Still that was a lot of expense for just a few people.... I'm worried about your headaches."
"I'll see a doctor soon. You know every day I thank you for introducing me to Arturo." Did I detect a wince from Sonia?

Andrea is looking through the paper. Grandma Meanie wants to know what she's looking for. "I'm looking for a second job."
"You don't expect me to watch your kids while you work more hours at the hospital?"
"No, I'm hoping to find something that I can do from home."
"Ha!" She laughs, "Like doing something on the Inter-neeet?"
"We don't have a phone."
"No we don't and it's your fault. All the money gets spent on your kids."
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."
"You're always sorry. You still believe that worthless Fernando will come back."
"He will come back. He's my husband and the father of my children."
"He'll come back and leave you with another child. You're a fool. Open your eyes." Mine gives a derisive snort. She walks out calling on The Lord or a Saint to open Andrea's eyes.

Eugenia and Arturo are cuddled on the sofa. They are talking to Sonia. Sonia suggests they take a trip. A second honeymoon. She offers to take care of Aranza. They tell her they only take trips as a family. Besides, Sonia is the one who needs a man and a honeymoon! How about Bruno? Sonia blasts that idea like a clay pigeon. Bruno just doesn't do it for her. Sonia tells them she is already in love with someone who doesn't realize how she feels. He's the only one for her. But now it's time to go. Sonia rises to say good-night. Arturo offers to walk her to the car. He goes toward the door. Sonia sits beside Eugenia and tells Eugenia she should have another child. Suddenly things get awkward. Sonia kisses Eugenia good night. Eugenia looks like she is going to cry.

A car pulls up in front of a fancy highrise. Fernando helps Isabel out. Inside, he tells her to close her eyes and take off her shoes. "I want you to feel the texture with your feet." He opens the door. "Walk. Another step. Keep your eyes closed." Isabel ooohhs at the feeling under her feet. He tells her to stop, then pushes a button. Music fills the room. It's her favorite song.

"Open your eyes." There are several boquets of roses. Rose petals and candles make a path on the floor. Isabel is overwhelmed. "I love you." She looks out at the candle-lined balcony. They kiss. They slow dance. "I don't know how I'm going to pay you back for all this love." Oh, Honey. It's on your Visa card. And you are going to pay it back. With interest.

Eugenia asks Arturo about the party. There were only 3 or 4 people here. Don't you miss your father, your family? "You are the center of my happiness." "But you left your father and your family for me." "You and Aranza are my family. And your cousin and Lucha and Gabina." He nuzzles her neck and hair. "I'm happy. You are the perfect woman. Better than any of my fantasies. I am crazy about you." Eugenia leans against him. They sigh blissfully. The vultures are circling.

Morning. Time for school. Eugenia asks Aranza about her homework. She finished it in the afternoon. She doesn't like doing homework at night. In the kitchen the maid asks Aranza what she wants for breakfast. A quesadilla. The maid announces, "I'll make a quesadilla for my girl!" Eugenia asks what else is cooking. Scrambled eggs. Beans. The maid lifts her spatula with a florish and announces "A quesadilla for my girl!" as she puts it on the plate. Wow. Play-by-play announcements on the food. They don't do that on Master Chef.

Isabel and Gaby arrive at CasaArte, "Decoration and Design". So that's what the party was for! I notice we have some Home Depot product placement here, but it's been pixelated. I guess that's a good idea. Why go to a fancy design studio with a security guard at the door if you can shoplift buy the same thing at Home Depot?

Fernando has sent Isabel a lovely boquet of yellow roses. Her co-workers are gushing over them. Isabel is so lucky to have a great guy who send flowers and gives her surprises like this. Isabel flashes her ring at her co-workers. What a guy! Honestly if I were her I'd check to see if the band was leaving a green ring around my finger.

Andrea is carrying her toddler while walking her son to school. He asks, "Why isn't dad here?" Andrea tells him that his dad is busy, he's working. "Does he have a phone so we could talk to him?"
"No. He's trying to raise money so we can have our own house."
"If I eat less, we'd have more money."
Honestly, this is killing me. Such cute kids. They don't deserve a schmuck like Fernando for a father. Andrea tells her son he has to eat to be big and strong like his dad. They go on their way to school.

Isabel wants to know why Gaby doesn't like Fernando. Gaby makes a snarky remark about Fernando's honesty. Isabel gets angry and storms out into the hall. Gaby follows her and tells Isabel, "We're more than friends. We're like sisters. I don't think Fernando is honest."
"I'm happy. I ask you to respect my relationship."

A co-worker approaches. She has a bill from the factory that Isabel needs to sign. The two continue their talk. Gaby says, "We don't know where Fernando works, what he does for a living or where he gets all the money he spends."

"He negotiates with clients. He is doing well. I feel like I don't deserve everything he gives me. I am looking forward to having him as the father of my children. I can hardly wait to become a mother." "It will happen." They hug.

Grandma Meanie unwraps a bandage from her leg. She mutters how the pain in her leg will spread to her back. She prays. There's a knock at the door. She hastily rewraps the bandage and hobbles to the door. It's her neighbor Agatha. "I brought sweet bread. Can I make you some coffee?" "I thought it was Andrea back with those kids." Grandma Meanie starts on a rant about her daughter. Agatha tells her it's hard to be alone with kids. She asks, "Don't you love your Grandsons?"
"No. I don't love them at all."

Arturo eats breakfast and tells Eugenia about the new construction on the bridge his company is building. Eugenia is hanging on his every word as if all this talk about an overpass is the most fascinating thing she's ever heard. "Soon we will see cars driving over both levels." "No", she says. "We can get a convertible and drive over the bridge together." They talk happily as they walk to the door. Lucha and Gabina smile. "It's a blessing from God to be in a house where they are so happy and so much in love." They sigh, smile and hug each other.

Gaby is going over the business's receipts. It seems the business has less money in the bank than they thought. Isabel believes it's because of the Grand Opening party. Don't worry, it's temporary. We'll make it all back very soon. They laugh.

Mauricio storms into the room. Mauricio asks Isabel if she has any receipts that she has neglected to give him. Before she can answer she has to take a call from a new client who wants her home remodeled. Isabel leaves to take the call. She'll be back to talk to Mauricio. Gaby asks, "What's wrong?"
"I'm afraid Isabel's accounts are nearly empty. Her personal accounts. Large amounts are missing."
Gaby thinks it's Isabel's good-for-nothing husband.

"It looks like embezzlement. This is very serious."
Isabel enters the room. "What Mauricio? What's this about?" They all stare at each other.

Labels:


Comments:
Excellent recap, Kathy! You started us off well. All this happiness that we know is about to come crashing down on these characters.

I was struck by the two conversations about being like sisters. Sonia who appears to bend over backwards for her cousin, is in fact so envious that she is resorting to slowly murdering her. But Gaby, who is getting flack for badmouthing her friend's man, is actually looking out for Isabel's wellbeing, and she's right about that scrum. I felt sorry for his other wife and kids too. And Grandma Meanie just makes it worse.

I've never seen the actress who plays Eugenia before. She has a warm, natural vibe. Too bad we'll lose her so soon.
 

xlntperuvian, thank you! I didn't think we were going to have a recap and to find this posted has made my day. It is very easy for me to get lost in the beginning but you made sense of everything (except of course for Fermando but there is unfortunately no explantion for or justifiable reason for his existence).

Loved the detailed recap that you interlaced with humor and witty comments. "I already have the feeling that the yet unseen Fernando is a schmuck", "Sonia lets her eyes wander over the happy scene with just a touch of malice on her lips", "Suddenly everyone must leave. I guess they all came in the same car" and "Famous. Last. Words." were spectacular.

I thought Susana and Martha Julia carried the opening storyline splendidly. Gabriela has the loathsome Fernando's number yet Isabel is blissfully (and tragicaly) unaware. It appears she find out sooner than later.

Andrea's boys are beyond adorable. Please note I give no credit whatsoever to Fernando as it is apparant his only contribution was at their conception. Vile beyond belief. Not only does delusional Andrea have to put up with him, but her heinous mother. I first saw the actress as another horrible mother in Gancho and it appears she is just as despicable her. Ack.

Eugenia is lovely. What a shame we will not likely see her much longer, thanks to vile Aunt Sonia. I haven't seen Guy (Arturo) in anything before, but he seems to have a gentle manner so I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Fantastic recap. Again, thank you!

Diana
 

Kathy:

Marvelous, fun recap. Thanks so much.

I can't stand Ferny (Fernando) either, those poor kids and his suffering wife. Her mama is horrid, not to love her grandkids. They are so very adorable.

I'm liking Gaby. She is a true friend and I'm hoping Isabel opens her eyes to see what Ferny is really all about.

Sonia is just horrid too. To slowly kill your cousin. Arturo is so not into Sonia. She should have seen that from his reaction to her hugging him from behind. He looked like he'd been slimed.

I liked the intro to this TN. As a matter of fact all the intros to these TN's have really come up.

Thanks again Kathy for this most marvelous recap.


 

Thanks Kathy! I can't wait to read this! (I'm sneaking a comment in at school.)

Thank you so much for getting us started so splendidly!

I am so looking forward to this one.

(My Macaria looks very different form her Hortensia role in AC.)
 

Great recap of a good opening episode.

I hope Ferny gets found out soon. It would be nice if Andrea and Isabel could join forces against him. We know, of course, that Isabel will end up catfighting with Sonia over Arturo before much more time goes by. We can probably anticipate some real crazy from Sonia thanks to typecasting at two levels (sexually predatory villana + crazy = Domenika Paleta).
 

I meant "Oh my! Macaria...."

Urban Anthropologist-I am looking forward to DoPa's brand of crazy. :-)
 

Wow!! What a comprehensive recap, xintperuvian,
The first recap of a novela is hard because you are getting acquainted with all of the new characters, but you did it with ease and even gave us some insights into their personalities, i.e. Fernando being a grade A schmuck. You hit the nail on the head.
We are off to a good start! Thank you!!
 

Kathy, this was stellar! I haven't watched this yet but you laid it out so well I saw it in my mind's eye. I know Andrea's son is a cutiepie from him offering to eat less so the family would have more money. And LOL on Grandma Meanie. Usually,even if a mother and daughter don't get along, the abuela will adore the nietos. Abuela Meanie is special.
 

Wow. Out of the ballpark on the first pitch. Great job Kathy. I only had minimum attention to this one last night, but did want to check it out. Your recap gave me everything I needed to know and then some.

Watching the happy household was almost painful though because you just know that anvil is about to fall.

Fernando--could this man be any sleazier? This is only the first episode and I could feel the slime just oozing off him. Let the guessing games on his ultimate comeuppance begin.

I wasn't planning on adding another TN to follow, but I love Guy and so wanted to check this out. Darn, it does look interesting and the cast is off the charts, as they say, on this one. Goodness. I've got huge project work coming up that means some nights, but I just may have to sneak a peak for a break nightly.

Daisynjay
 

Will we finally have a "good guy" Bruno? Or will he turn out to be a sleaze later on?
 

This one looks promising even though we know we are soon going to have a time leap forward since the little girl has to grow up to be nasty and an impediment to Papi's happiness. Fern is loathsome out of the box. Was it just me or did Isabel look kind of odd with his big show at the apartment. It may have been a trick of the lighting or inadvertent on the actress' part but she looked uncomfortable. Love the kids but then I liked them in previous outings as well.

What I really liid about this opening is that it was understated and well acted. No characters throwing hissy fits or overacting like some recent TN's and most of the characters seem to be normal and likable.

Hate to say but I thought Susana Gonzales looked awful. She has always been anorexia thin but her fact looked like she had some work done and not good wok. She looked so much better on LQPA.
 

Decie- I think "understated and well acted" is a great assessment of the first episode.

I don't think I've seen enough of SG to know if she's had work done. I love watching her move. Didn't I read here on Caray that she is a dancer?
 

I don't think SG has had any work done. It's just age. In LQNPA she had the wild, big hair, and a much more youthful attitude. Here, her straightened hair makes her look even thinner and older.

Sara- Yes. She's a lovely dancer.
 

Wow, great recap Xinta. REally nice narrative and great set up for all the anvils to come.

We can already tell that Agatha is unredeemable (she does not love her grandsons at all!!???) but she will clearly be the first of those we love to hate.

Fernando is a creep, a thief, a dreadful father, all very serious crimes in my book. But the glasses, those are a crime against good taste. The man has loser painted all over his chest.

Like Vivi, I do not think Susana G. has had any significant work done. She is super thin and, sadly age and gravity spare no one. Sigh. Although I love that bright blue she was wearing, I think it may be too harsh a color against her pale skin—good from a distance but rough on the 40+ crowd up close. I suspect that color might look gorgeous on someone with a richer, darker brown skin color. I still think she is gorgeous. She is one of my fave actresses.

Thanks again, Xinta. Really nice work on the recap.

Elna June
 

I thought Susana looked great and appeared not quite as pin thin as she did in AV. I also do not think she had any work done and thought she looked luminous. She always seems to put her heart in whatever role she has and it appears she is doing so here as well.

Diana
 

OK I hate it when a beautiful actress feels she has to tweak herself and yes she did have the big hair in LQNPA which would fill out her face and yes she is fair skined so that color might have been pushing it. In any event as someone said she moves beautifully and is in control of her body which shows her dance background. It is also something that a well trained gifted actor can do. I think we are in for a first class ride.

Elna June loved the crime against good taste with nasty Nando it's a first class observation.LOL
 

It was a nice surprise to see another favorite actor in this, Alejandro Ruiz playing Bruno. Yes, I think this Bruno will be a nice guy, for a change. He looked different with part of his curly hair hanging loose in front with a center part, instead of all slicked back as usual.
 

Thank you , Kathy. I only surfed in and out of this novela a few times. I don't know if I will be able to follow another novela. I am watching Robo, and I want to stay with CI until the bitter end..like finishing a book that you really don't care for. I like Susanna and Ana Martin. Guy does not do it for me. I need tall, dark, and handsome.

Susanna is a spectacular dancer. You can probably find her dancing on YouTube. A few years ago, she was on Bailando por la boda de su suenos. Angelique Boyer was also on that show along with several other telenovela actresses and actors..including Manuel Landete.
 

Thank you Kathy---for a big help.
I'm going crazy trying to figure out the cast members. In another novela, people were crying for new faces---I'm on overload already trying to figure out what seems like a big cast.

I think that everyone is in agreement about Fernando, what a terrible guy. Poor Isabel/SG I can see that there will be a lot of crying scenes in this one. How can she choose a guy like that? Well on the other hand, if she didn't, we wouldn't have a story.

Elna June---We meet again. I second your comment about Fernando's glasses, YUCK!

Dominika Paleta---I have only seen her once before. She really gave William Levy a hard time. Looks like she's the baddie again.
I like her in the bad role, she can really bring it on.

I'm not sure but I hope I like this one. I'm thinking that I made a BIG mistake by sitting out
La Que La Vida Me Robo. Oh well, I can't watch them all. I hope that I am not disappointed. For me, Susana Gonzalez has been Oscar material. And the funny thing about it all, I have never been very interested in the acting
[more interested in the story] that is until I saw a novela. The acting in these are fabulous.
the gringo


 

xlntperuvian, thanks for starting us off with such a stellar recap! I wasn't sure about this one, but the beginning is intriguing. Fernando and the mean grandma are so easy to hate. A sleazebag and a sleazy old bag.

Gringo--it's not too late to pick up the threads of "Robo." More characters easy to hate there.
 

Finally got to read it and WOW!! Great detail and wonderful snark. I thought the line about no one greeting Fernando being a tell was funny as well as the "they don't do that on Master Chef" line.

Is Lucha the same actress who played Blanca on AdP?
 

Hi, Gringo! So nice to see you again. Hey, do come visit us at Robo. It's shaping up very nicely, with a great supporting cast.

I am going to try to follow Por Siempre, as well. I love the leads and the innocent little kids. I was already hooked by them in just one evening.Plus Domenika is a favorite baddie of mine.

Elna June
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder