Monday, June 16, 2014

Lo Que la Vida Me Robó Lunes 6/16/14 #154


Chapter 154: Where Jealousy Rules


Valverde House: Alejandro and Monserrat returned and all was not well. Alejandro told his family they weren't going anywhere. Monserrat told Rosario they were returning home, which meant they were returning to the Álvarez house. Lauro asked his father when he would see him again and he told him “soon.” Carlota offered to accompany her niece home, but she declined the offer. She tried to conceal her tears, but it wasn't possible. She thanked Josefina, gave Alejandro a disappointed look, got a stubborn one back, and departed with his mother and his son. They were barely out the door when Alejandro went upstairs, his jaw set in stone. Victor and Macario followed him, leaving Carlota, Dominga, and Josefina to wonder what had happened.


Naval Base: Dimitrio was trying to get his sister on the phone, but couldn't.

Try to calm down,” said Captain Mónica.

How can I? I can't reach my sister.”

Do you truly think this man is dead?”

I don't know. José Luis said he survived the accident and spent seven years in a coma. He thinks he could be here in Aguazul. I don't know what to believe.”

If this is true Alejandro is in big trouble. He's a fugitive. He's accused of fraud and homicide. If that's the case he'll end up in prison.”

Alejandro is innocent. Or was, whichever it is.”

Regardless of that our duty is to cooperate with the law. Whether he's actually innocent or not we're supposed to bring him to justice.”

Dimitrio started pacing. “What I have to do is talk to my sister and see if she knows where he is.” He then stopped dead and remembered the day Josefina came to the house looking for Doña Rosario. She never told him why, but what other reason would she have had to look for Alejandro's mother?

What are you thinking?” asked Mónica.

I know where to start looking,” he said as he grabbed his cap. He walked out without saying another word.


Valverde House: Victor and Macario steeled themselves for a verbal siege.

Please, Alejandro,” Victor began, “Will you tell us what the hell happened?”

What happened with our lady boss, Monserrat?” asked Macario. “She looked so sad like her heart was broken and you look like you're spoiling for a fight.”

Alejandro paused a moment before answering. “Monserrat is pregnant.”

Wow. And since when is having a baby bad news, Alejandro?” asked Macario.

The baby isn't mine. It's José Luis Álvarez's.”

So what?”

How can you say that, Macario? I can't tolerate her having his child. It means he will always be interfering in our lives.”

Calm down, calm down; you're getting all worked up,” said Victor. “You're not thinking this through.”

There's nothing to think about!” Alejandro shouted. “Monserrat can't have that wretch's kid.”

Shut up! Man, you can't say that!” said Macario.

Monserrat made her decision and that's why she left.”

Yes, because you're an ignorant ass. She's gone because she can't deal with you this way.”


Álvarez House: Monserrat went back in with her son and his grandmother. She was apprehensive as well as disappointed. She sent Lauro to his room so she could speak privately with Rosario.

What's wrong? I'm worried. I don't get what happened.”

I'm pregnant.”

Oh, my God.” Rosario sat down, stunned.

The timing says that the baby is José Luis'.”

Is there any possibility that the baby is –“

No. I don't know. I don't think so.”

You don't know how I prayed that this wouldn't happen.”

Alejandro wants me to end the pregnancy.”

What?” Rosario was shocked.

I can't do it. I can't kill this baby; it's my child, Mama Rosario.”

I understand, Monserrat. Of course I understand. When Benjamín Almonte raped me I discovered in prison that I was pregnant. A nurse there asked me if I wanted an abortion. She told me when she knew my due date and that this was the result of rape. I told her no. Because it wasn't important who the father of my child was. This was a human being and was growing in me.” She began to cry.


Valverde House: Alejandro was still not listening.

How is it you don't understand, Macario?”

No, I don't understand you. I only understand our dear boss Monserrat. You don't know how much Domgina and I cried after her two miscarriages. You don't know how many times we prayed to God to be parents.” Macario couldn't hold back. “On the other hand you denied your own child when you thought she cheated on you. You went off on a vacation with Maria. You ran off! You abandoned her, alone all through her pregnancy. When you finally came to your senses and convinced yourself that the boy was yours what did you do? You begged forgiveness in the clear light of day. To a mother a child is a blessing from God. Who the father is isn't important. And I'm going to tell you something else. For as much as she is your woman, you have nothing to say about this baby. It's a pure soul who has done nothing wrong!”

Besides, I know you love her,” Victor said. “Don't abandon her again. Don't put her through this again.”

As I said once at the ranch, if you own the mare, the foal is yours,” said Macario.

Alejandro, Monserrat didn't commit adultery. She thought you were dead and she was trying to get on with her life,” said Victor.

Did you think she would live like she was in a convent for the rest of her life?”

Yes! Yes! You know what? I don't want to argue about this anymore.” He headed for the door and Macario tried to hold him back. Alejandro shoved both men out of the room and closed the door. He needed to be alone.


Álvarez House: Rosario and Monserrat understood each other well.

I loved my son from the first moment I knew he was in my womb,” Rosario said.

I know. It doesn't matter that José Luis is the father; the baby is mine,” Monserrat said. “It doesn't mean that I love José Luis. My great love is Alejandro. But before either him or myself I put my children. Their lives are my responsibility and I have to protect them.”

You don't have to convince me of anything, daughter. I will help you. Of course I will help you. With everything. When this baby is born I promise you I will love it as though it were my own grandchild.”

Thank you,” Monserrat said, embracing her. Neither of them knew that José Luis had arrived and was listening to them.

First of all, you will have to eat well so the baby will be born strong.”

Yes.”

Did I hear you right, Monserrat? Are we going to have a baby?”

Rosario and Monserrat exchanged an expression of courage. Then Rosario got up, excused herself, and left. Monserrat steeled herself to face José Luis. She knew this wouldn't be easy. José Luis looked her in the eye as he sat down.

First I realize that you're about to abandon me. Then I see that you've taken all your jewelry except the engagement and wedding ring. Now I realize you're about to leave with my baby.”

I didn't know. I just found out.”

Of course not, Monserrat. You suspected.”

No. I wasn't sure of anything. I thought I was mistaken but I just confirmed it. I am pregnant.”

With whom were you were going? With Alejandro?” He stepped closer. Too close.

What are you talking about?”

You know perfectly well what I'm talking about!” he shouted. “Answer me. Alejandro is in Aguazul. Victor lied to me and you helped him lie.”

As far as lies go, José Luis, you are the last person to talk about that.”

Answer me! I'm talking to you. Talk!

For all his shouting he failed to intimidate her. She stared back at him to let him know.

No matter what I will not let you make a fool out of me,” he said. “I I discover that Alejandro is here I swear I am capable of – “

Of what? Of what?”

You know.”

You're sick. Because that's crazy talk. Alejandro is dead. I'm only thinking about Mama Rosario and my child. That's why I had to sell the house.”

Oh, please, Monserrat. Don't lie. Don't lie!”

You are denying me a divorce, José Luis. Marrying you was the worst decision I've ever made. I don't want to be with you one more second!”

He closed in on her until she could feel his breath on her face. “You are not leaving me, Monserrat. You aren't leaving me especially now that you're having my baby.” He sat down on the bed and tried to grab her. She resisted. “I'm going to ask you one more time. Does Alejandro have anything to do with this? Hm? Do you swear that he is dead?”

She stared at him as though realizing that he was mad, bad, or both. “Of course he is dead.” She turned away, not pleased that she had to lie yet one more time. He grabbed her shoulder.

Look at me.” He turned her to face him. “Look at me.”

She almost didn't recognize him. He wasn't the man she had known before and she was afraid of what he was becoming.


Valverde House: Josefina sat in her living room, not sure of what to do next. The doorbell rang and she opened the door to Dimitrio. He entered without his uniform jacket and his tie askew. He confronted her about the night she came looking for Rosario. “That was because Alejandro is alive.” She took a deep breath. Carefully so he couldn't notice.

Upstairs in his room, Alejandro stared into space as he thought about what Macario said. It call came back to him. All the accusations and ugly words he threw at Monserrat when he thought she had cheated on him with José Luis pounded in his brain. How he had said she was worse than a whore and that he would never acknowledge the child as his. How she in turn rejected him when he came to see the child for the first time once he had the lab results. He realized he had been a cad, a jerk, an idiot.

In the meanwhile, Josefina had decided to trust Dimitrio and tell him the truth. She explained how she had accidentally discovered that Victor, Nadia, and Alejandro had survived the plane crash and ended up in Argentina. She explained how that had played out and how she was looking for Rosario to bring her to Argentina because Alejandro had been in a coma. Everyone thought that Monserrat was dead because of the last words Alejandro heard over the cell phone just before the plane hit the water. She explained that even she didn't know until her own return and how Gracie had convinced her not to tell Monserrat.

Dimitrio listened patiently. On the surface because he was already thinking about his mother's motives for keeping this one under wraps. When Josefina told him that Alejandro woke up from the coma he asked “Where is Alejandro? He's gone with my sister, hasn't he? Where is Alejandro?”

I'm here, Dimitrio,” Alejandro said as he entered. Dimitrio stared in shock. Alejandro's jaw was set. He was anticipating trouble.


Álvarez House: Rosario was putting Lauro's clothes away when José Luis entered the room.

Monserrat and I just had a talk.”

Tell me.”

Why did you convince Monserrat to leave me?”

If you have the tiniest bit of conscience, you'd understand perfectly well why Monserrat did this.”

You hate me, don't you?”

You denied me the knowledge that my son was in the hospital. The chance to hold his hand and kiss him when he most needed a mother's love. Those are reason enough to hate you, don't you think? But no, José Luis. I don't hate you.” She paused a moment. “Are you going to send me away from this house? You own it now.”

He paused a moment and sat down to face her. “Rosario, I promised you I would never separate you from Monserrat and Laurito. That's a promise and I will keep it. I am a man of my word. But this was a deception. And it won't go by for nothing.”

I was never wrong. I see something in your eyes that isn't good. It's more dangerous than ever.”

I am a dangerous man, Rosario. Be careful what you say or do from here on.”

I'm not afraid of your threats, José Luis.”

If your son is alive I won't let him steal Monserrat away from me again. I once saved his life. But the next time I see him alive, he's a dead man. Dead.” He stepped away when he noticed her horrified look. “I'll leave you to do what you were doing.”

Rosario crossed herself as soon as he was out the door.


Valverde House: Dimitrio couldn't believe that Alejandro would be so foolhardy with the lives of his sister and nephew. Alejandro explained that they didn't leave because Monserrat is pregnant with José Luis' baby. He asked if Dimitrio was going to arrest him. He told him no. “I wasn't here. I know nothing. But be careful because José Luis is looking for you. He's gone nuts and he will kill you.” He said goodnight and left. Alejandro sat on the couch with a belligerent expression.


Restaurant: Gracie waited at her table. Sandro was late and it wasn't like him. She told the waiter to leave the champagne because she was celebrating. She didn't quite believe her own words.


Valverde House: Rosario talked to Victor, saying she needed to talk to Alejandro. Victor told her he wasn't there. He didn't want to answer her next question.


La Escondida: Alejandro entered Maria's dressing room. He told her he was accepting her proposition. He would spend the night with her in exchange for the return of his father's will. She was much happier about this than he was. That was a guarantee of trouble.


Álvarez House: Monserrat sat on her bed, thinking. Her cell phone rang and she answered. She had not expected this particular call.

Hello, Monserrat. Do you remember me?” said Sandro Narvaez.

Of course I remember you,” she said. “I will never forget the bastard who destroyed my and Alejandro's lives.”

Precisely,” he said, looking at the document he had obtained. “I'm calling to repair that mistake. I have in my possession the last will and testament of Benjamín Almonte. I've decided to turn the tables on your traitorous mother and return this document to you.”

How did you get it? I was under the impression that Maria Zamudio had it.”

Yes; she had it. But now I do. Are you interested in my handing it over to you? Yes or no?”

Of course I am. But after all the tricks you and Fabiola pulled, how do you expect me to trust you?”

Because it's something your mother would hate for me to do.”

Tell me what my mother has to do with this.”

Gracie asked me to get it. Once she has it she will use it to manipulate Alejandro to hand the money over to her. I don't think you'd want her to do that.”

Aren't you betraying Fabiola by doing this? And now you are betraying my mother.”

They are playing dirty with me and I want them to be sorry. I'll wait for you at noon at the beach house. Don't fail because this is your last chance to recover this document.”

He ended the call and Monserrat paused. This was likely the most honest he was ever going to be with anyone.


La Escondida: Maria grinned at the prospect of finally getting Alejandro in bed.

I'm glad. Where do you want me?” She moved in for the kill, pursing her lips near his. “Here? In a hotel?”

It's all the same to me,” he said, unenthusiastically. He didn't try to cover his disgust. “Not so fast, Maria.” He pushed her away to arm's length. “Before anything else you will have to prove to me you have the will. Above all proof that it's the real deal.”

It is, Alejandro. I assure you.”

Will you give it to me?”

Yes, but not here.”

Where will we make the exchange?”

Come to my place tomorrow.”

You have an apartment?”

Yes.”

You must have done well as a … dancer.”

You have no idea what I've done.” She returned to the dressing table and wrote something on a pad. “Here's my address. I'll be waiting for you. Not only will you find the will you're looking for; you'll find my naked body waiting for your kisses.” She tried what she thought was her most seductive move to date. He pushed her back without a word and left with an indifferent expression which she chose not to notice. She turned to the mirror saying “At last you'll be mine. It will be exactly as I've ever dreamed.”

Poor deluded slut.


Valverde House: Rosario was shocked at what Victor just told her.

My son went to see Maria? Why?”

Monserrat didn't tell you anything?”

No.”

Maria apparently has Benjamín Almonte's will in which he named Alejandro as his sole heir.”

What is she up to? Is she planning to turn him in to jail?”

No. It was stolen from Pedro Medina. The one Fabiola stole from Alejandro's safe.”

And how did Maria get it? What is she demanding from my son in exchange for it?”

Victor didn't want to answer her and it showed. “I'd prefer you asked Alejandro about that.”

Never mind. I can only imagine. That woman will never leave my son in peace.”


Restaurant: Gracie was tired of waiting. She made the call.

Sandro, you've kept me waiting almost an hour. Where the hell are you?”

He lounged back on the bed. “I'm sorry, Graciela. I forgot and overslept.”

Imbecile. How could you forget a date with me?”

Well, do you think the world begins and ends with you?”

You were going to deliver the will. That was the surprise, wasn't it?”

Was it? To tell you the truth, I don't remember.” She wasn't pleased to hear that. “Actually it was a pretext to get you back in bed.”

Poor fool.” she said without any pity as she ended the call and almost slammed the phone on the table. The waiter returned. She handed him her credit card and told him to take back the champagne she didn't touch.


Lt Mendoza's Apartment: Mónica tried to get Dimitrio to talk about what he found out. As he promised Alejandro, Dimitrio stuck to the story of his death. He dismissed José Luis' comments as jealousy and paranoia. Mónica reminded him that Alejandro was a fugitive and it was their duty to uphold the law. For a moment each tried to get the other to admit knowing more than they were saying. Dimitrio finally said how jazzed he was when she went into gumshoe mode and gave her the action Sandro was denying Gracie.


Solares Apartment: Dimitrio wasn't the only Navy man getting busy that night. Refugio and his wife had enjoyed some long-absent passion As Esmeralda was about to elaborate on his talent he became concerned about whether they had hurt the baby. She wasn't worried and told him not to. He was also worried about work but didn't want to talk about it. However, he ended up telling her about Nadia, Victor, and what Pedro had done to them. When she asked him about Alejandro he told her that according to José Luis the doctors in Argentina were going to turn off the medical equipment a few days ago. He knew no more than that. José Luis was sure that Alejandro was alive and that his wife was going to run off with him. He asked Esmeralda to speak to Monserrat to find out what she could. Esmeralda wasn't okay with this. There were conflicting loyalties at stake.


Valverde House: Alejandro returned and found his mother there.

Mother, what are you doing here at this hour?”

I'll leave you two to talk,” Victor said as he got up from the couch. “Good night, Doña Rosario.”

Good night, Victor.” He then left the two alone.

I'm here to talk to you about your deal with Maria. I don't like you being around that woman.”

She has the only evidence that will help me get my life back.”

Look, Alejandro, I don't know what deal you made with Maria but if you fall into her trap you could lose a lot more than you will gain.”

I'm aware of that, Mother. Don't worry.”

I hope so, son. In the end, I didn't come here to talk about that. I'm here about everything that's happened between you and Monserrat.” He looked away from her for a minute.

I can't let her have another man's child. I just can't, Mother.” He got up and turned his back to her.

She told me what you wanted her to do. I can't allow this madness. “

You're on her side.”

Of course I'm on her side. You know why? Because I'm also a mother. Benjamín Almonte raped me and I became pregnant. I could have had an abortion, too. But I didn't, Alejandro. I gave you the chance to live because it wasn't important who your father was. I felt that the moment I knew you were in my womb. Of course I will help Monserrat. Because before either you or José Luis nothing is bigger than the love a mother has for her children. Monserrat will not be alone; she will be with me.” She picked up her purse and looked up at him. He looked sad, maybe remorseful. “If you don't understand that, you will lose her forever.”

She walked out without saying goodbye, leaving him to think about that.


Mendoza Chapel: Early the next morning María walked into the chapel to retrieve the will. It wasn't there. Gracie walked in for her usual ritual.

What the hell are you doing here, you stupid bitch?”

Where is it? Give it back to me!”

What are you talking about, bitch?”

If you don't return it to me now you will be sorry.”

The only one who will be sorry is you. Get out of here! I don't know what you're talking about.”

You know perfectly well. Where is it?”

Get out of here, wretched servant!”

I'm not leaving until I get what I'm looking for.”

They stared at each other. The hatred was thick enough to cut with a knife.


Café: In answer to Macario's question Monserrat said she had taken her son to school and came in because she didn't want to be in the house. Nor did she want to be anywhere near José Luis. She told them how she felt about having a baby. She was upset over Alejandro's reaction to the news and remembered how he had behaved before. Macario told her to be patient with his stubbornness. He was sure Alejandro would straighten up over it. Monserrat wasn't and she didn't have to say so; her tears said it all.


Mendoza Chapel: Gracie had a light bulb moment.

So it's true that you stole the will and now you've lost it.”

You stole it. Return it to me.”

Graciela hit Maria's temple and bared her fangs. “Think! You hid it here right under my nose, you evil slut.”

So you don't have it?”

Of course not! Now get out of here! Get out of here! Get out of here! Far away from here!” She shoved her toward the door and only had to do it once. Maria was out of there with Gracie's venom in her ears. As soon as she was out of her sight Gracie took a few steps toward the altar and crossed herself before preying to the Virgin.


Café: Monserrat was sure Alejandro would never forgive her. She remembered how he had treated her when she was pregnant the first time, when he didn't know the baby was his. Macario and Dominga were sympathetic. He said they would never judge her and they would help her. She cried, then stopped herself. They looked up to see Esmeralda. Monserrat offered her a cappuccino and she accepted.


Police Headquarters: Dimitrio and Refugio were visiting José Luis in his office. They were in full uniform so it was official.

My sister is pregnant?”

Yes, Dimitrio. My wife is pregnant. That crazy woman was going to abandon me and take my child.”

José Luis, she repented.” Refugio pointed out. “She returned to you.”

Please, Refugio. I asked her directly whether Alejandro was behind all this and she repeatedly said no. She said it was true that they disconnected him from life support but – “

What do you expect to gain by this?”

José Luis was losing patience. “You haven't gotten this all this time! The other day she took off her wedding ring. She put it back on, fine. The next day she wanted a separate bedroom. How else do you explain that?”

You know how my sister is,” Dimitrio said. “Expect something different every day. And if you withheld the truth from her about him being alive you're responsible, too.”

He stared at José Luis, watching for red flags.


Maria's Apartment: She stood among the newly-delivered furniture that was still in factory plastic. She suddenly remembered running into Sandro Narvaez in the garden near the Mendoza chapel. He had teased her about praying after a night of dancing at La Escondida. In that moment she realized that he was the one who had stolen the will.


Labels:


Comments:
I loved Macario and Rosario telling off Ale. They were the two smartest characters in this episode. It was great to see a couple of disappointments for Graciela: the double cross by Sandro and her realizing that that "gata" BM had hidden the will right under her nose. From the promos it looks like BM will even kill to get that one chance to get Ale in the sack.

Jarifa
 

She is so delusional. JL is also going down such a dangerous path that I see him becoming as controlling as Pedro.
 

Urban:

Thank you so much for this most fabulous recap, despite your computer troubles. What movie is the picture you used from? I don't think I've seen it.

I too am glad that Mac, Vic and Rosy told Ale what was what, and you'd think after that eye>>mind moment he would have repented. So sad he is stuck on stupid.

I'm not liking what JL is doing. He is so filled with fear that Monse is going to leave, it's scary. I did like the convo he had with Rosy, but didn't like the implied threat.

I actually laughed when Graceless was stood up for her date, good for Sandho. I was surprised that Sandho called Monse and asked if she wanted that will. That was a big surprise.

La Capitana goes by the book, and Esme is loyal to her friends. I like Dimi keeping the secret. That was also a surprise. I was also surprised that Refug told Esme some of the truth.

I didn't like what transpired with Ale and BM. Does anyone think she will really turn that will over to Ale? If she gets it back that is.

I liked your line "poor deluded slut". Can't wait for tomorrow to see what happens next. Thanks again Urban for this outstanding recap : )
 

Urban, the recap was outstanding. I could not believe the amount of dialogue that you included. Thanks.

Urban, the mentally healthy are few and far between in this novela.

Madelaine, "stuck on stupid" sure does describe Ale. What a mope!

Jarifa


 

This was so beautifully written, Urban; so very beautifully written.

Fatima
 

Urban:
Thank you for this wonderful recap. This may be my personal favorite of all your many fine offerings. As you would say, really great stuff.

I was glad to see Macario remind Ale of his previous bad behavior. Talk about history repeating itself!

More tomorrow.

EJ
 

Wow...the geeks must have fixed your computer. Great photo.

You tell a very fine tale, UA. One of my favorite phrases was "jaw set in stone". Great image. Powerful.

Another...

He closed in on her until she could feel his breath on her face.

Just excellent. You are a Writer, not a Recapper.

The amount of work you put in on the dialogue is amazing and I enjoyed every single word of Macario's come-to-Jesus speech.

After suffering a miscarriage decades ago, I was in the doctor's office when I overheard another woman discussing her abortion. It broke my heart. I kept thinking "I would have given everything for a baby, and you deliberately got rid of yours." So I understand the character's anger.

Mind you, I also understand women's need to abort and would never want them to be denied that right. But at the time, grieving my own lost baby, it was very painful hearing her casual dismissal of the event.

Superb writing. Wonderful recap. Thanks UA.
 

Thanks, guys. The problem I had was easy enough that the Geeks fixed it in ten minutes. However, I worked through the problem for the second half of the episode and didn't stop for screen grabs. I also wasn't satisfied with half the ones I had taken before that. From this point forward they will be minimal because they take some extra time.

The dialogue is what takes the most time that goes into my chapters. In this series Macario is the biggest challenge and I've had to rewind the most times with him. Sometimes I don't get all the exact words and something may be left out. One of the reasons I prefer the Televisa novelas is that the actors all mostly have stage experience and therefore a greater propensity for speaking clearly than actors on other networks' payroll. This is a great thing for non-native speakers.

However, I haven't yet needed to sacrifice anything to the style I've assumed for the second half of this tale.

Tonight's episode would fit this perfectly and it's Must-See TV!
 

Urban, this was lyrical poetry. I enthusiastically echo Fatima in that this was indeed beautifully written.

Your conversation translations were so appreciated! You constantly continue to delight and raise the bar of excellence even higher.

"Victor and Macario steeled themselves for a verbal siege" and "Poor deluded slut" were but a few of your many gems.

"And since when is having a baby bad news, Alejandro?” asked Macario. I wish I could have reached through my screen and given Macario a huge hug. There appear to be few happy surprises here, this was surely one.

Jarifa, I also enjoyed Ale being told off by Macario and especially, by Rosario.

Judy, your loss was and is very painful. Sending prayers and comfort...

I see no spark between Dimitrio and Fina at all. I must grimly believe both are sublimatintg their feelings and that this will not always be the case.

Talk about women being spurned? Oh my. Sandho did not take well to being used and abused, did he? Any hope we might have had though quickly faded as we watched the previews. Madelaine, I was also surprised, but delightedly so here! :)

I am not going to comment on JL or Ale today. I don't want to let anything taint the joy I'm feeling from this marvelous recap.

Thank you UA!

Diana
 

Urban, this was an exquisite recap. The emotions of the characters came right through, and I also loved your wonderful little insightful comments. Poor delusional slut indeed.

WOMAN POWER! Good for Monse sticking to her guns and Rosario telling her son what a jerkwad he is, considering his own beginnings in his life. But Macario really gave me a smile. Sometimes he can aggravate, but this time, he was marvelous.

I guess when SR said how hard it was to play this complex character, he wasn't kidding. Must not be easy playing a certified jerk who is supposed to be the hero. My only regret last night: Rosario should have given him a good slap up the back of the head and said "Get over yourself!"

Well, I guess Maria's revelation doesn't bode well for Sandho. We know she has no morals left and knows her way around a gun. No spoiler, but I worry too with Monse heading to the same location.

Bless Dim for keeping quiet, but I sense a potential conflict with the boss....er his girlfriend...if the truth of Ale comes to light and Monica finds out he knew.

I can't even on JL anymore.

Missed the weekend discussion with a lot going on in the household, but the comments were brilliant. This community is amazing.

Daisynjay
 

Alejandro did have a valid point about JL always being in their lives. He hasn't even seen the level of obsession JL has displayed lately but when he does (because it's inevitable) he isn't going to like it. Things between those two will get uglier than ever.

On Abortion:

It's rarely a casual decision in America. Not just because American women are getting guilt-tripped but because we have other options. In places where contraception is inadequate abortion is often more commonplace. Look at stats about Russia in the 70s and 80s and you'll go into shock. My mother had several illegal abortions before she was 21 because contraception wasn't available in her native country (Germany) or much during her generation. My German cousin had to travel to England in the 80s to have an abortion because it was still illegal there despite that the pregnancy would have endangered my cousin's life.

I have known two "women" who had multiple abortions. One was too young and too naive to realize that three abortions prior to the age of 23 was not a good medical solution and the other was a narcissist attempting Pregnancy Entrapment. She failed all three times and in the end never got the guy. I eventually heard she ended up becoming the Tita of her family.
 

Wow, Urban! Fantastic and wonderfully written, recap. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this so throughly and beautifully.

I loved Macario last night, too, when he was telling Alejandro to get over himself already.

My favorite line had to be when Macario said, “As I said once at the ranch, if you own the mare, the foal is yours.” I couldn't help but laugh at this generous attitude and expansive sense of ownership, even as I was horrified, too, at the implication as it extends to Montse.

But that just might be the kind of logic that appeals to Alejandro since he (and J-L for that matter) has a sense of ownership over Montse anyway.

Thanks, again, Urban. Best to you and everyone!
Julia R.
 

Alejandro's flashbacks brought something back to mind that really upset me before I had to walk away from this TN.

He was horrific in how he treated Montserrat when he kicked her out of the house and called her such horrible names. To have then run off with Maria, was the final slap in the face.

This is one point that is VERY hard for me to reconcile in terms of the relationship between Alejandro and Montserrat. I do not believe that the characters have fully reviewed this horrible incident and how it affected them from that point onward.

For myself, if a man EVER and I mean EVER called me a whore, there would be no turning back. Never.

I understand that this is a device that was used by the writers, but I think the writers OWE it to their loyal viewers do not drop the ball here. This point needs to be addressed by the characters.

Fatima
 

I took that as a metaphorical statement, Julia. It's a natural one considering their background.

Dimitrio will get into conflict with Monica and I'm amazed their relationship isn't getting both of them into trouble with upper echelons.
 

Fatima, this isn't the first novela where that kind of name-calling has happened between the protagonists but I dearly wish it could be the last.

I think all Latinas should e-mail these networks and tell them that they personally do not tolerate such things and demand that the writers stop this. For villains to do this is appropriate because it's one more thing the writers can punish them for, but for heroes to do it is just plain wrong.
 

Thanks UA, I echo Fatimas comment regarding your recap. How elegant, and I love how you describe their emotions when no words are said by the actors. JL' s interaction with Rosario highlighted his madness. He spits out words of death, then calmly tells her to carry on. Obsessions do make sane men mad, and it is only compounded by his competition with Al. Ah testosterone, it should be prescribed only in small amounts when
combined with love, alcohol or competition.
Yola
 

UA Thanks for the wonderful recap! I love your style (really, who doesn't?) and I was grateful for the dialogue. I missed Macario's line about "owning the mare" so your translation allowed me the opportunity to be both appalled (by the metaphor) and applaud Macario!

I hope they don't leave Alejandro in this stupid, dumba$$ position too much longer. I'm so tired of the writers giving us so many reasons to dislkie him! Loved Rosario's speech to him, but she should have hit him even harder-- maybe even literally!

Re Dim, I think the lie he told Monica is the beginning of the end for them. I was not at all surprised that he was loyal to Montse and have wondered more than once why she didn't go to him earlier. His colorful past assists him nicely in his new stand up guy role. I think, given Fofito's inability to keep his pants on around Maria, he is not worthy of Josefa. My guess is that Dim and Josefina will be together by the end.

thanks again!
Rebecca
 

Thanks Urban! This was a very well done recap.

I only saw the last few minutes of the episode, and was happy to see Rosie giving Ale a piece of her mind. It didn't look like it had much effect though.

With the way JL and Ale are always threatening (and attempting) to kill each other, you'd think someone would suggest they need psychological help by now.
 

Wow, explosive episode and amazing recap!

JL has turned psychotic. I wish he had someone like Macario to rail into him. Macario was awesome last night and Rosario really stepped up. I actually felt bad for her when JL threatened to kill her son. (admittedly I have been off the rosario bandwagon for a while)

Avances look amazing with Maria shooting Sandro. He definitely deserves it after murdering Ale's lawyer but I will miss his colorful outfits.

I feel like something terrible has to happen to bring JL and Ale together. To break them each of their individual psychosis. Maybe something with Lauro... though I would hate to see anything happen to him. Such a cute kid.
 

Rebecca, I think you have called it with reference to Dimitrio, Monica, Adolfo and Josefina. At least
I hope Josefina does not end up with Adolfo for the reason you stated. Have I ever said I do not like him? LOL. . . Just over and over again.

Jarifa
 

It doesn't matter that Adolfo can't keep it in his pants with Maria. The real reason he and Fina aren't end game is because he's a cold-blooded killer and narcotraficante.
 

Vivi I know you're right re Fofito. But one of the things the writers have done well is create some complex characters. Until recently I was hoping that Adolfo would have a complete turn around, but alas...
 

Urban thanks for such a detailed and well written recap. It has such great flow and super entertaining!

My favorite part was Mac reaming into Ale. Loved that he didn't hold back and told him as he saw it.
“As I said once at the ranch, if you own the mare, the foal is yours,” said Macario." It may have sounded crude but that's just how Mac speaks. I saw it more as if he has Montse's heart, then the child can be his as well.

I'm glad he got an earful from Rosario as well and that the love that she and Montse have shared throughout the years is strong enough for her to support her during this tough time.

The more I see of JL, the more I think he is going insane. It was so strange how he threatened Rosi with killing Ale if he finds out he is alive and in the same breath he excuses himself gently to let her unpack! Plus he has no sense of personal space as evidence in that painful to watch scene with Montse. Loved Dim reminding him:"And if you withheld the truth from her about him being alive you're responsible, too."

Rebecca, agree with your comment:
"Re Dim, I think the lie he told Monica is the beginning of the end for them." Indeed Monica is a by the book person. She will not be happy he kept quiet. Hopefully her inflexibility and quick to judge attitude (ex referring to Ale as a criminal) will pave the way for Fina's return. :-D

Maricruz
 

JL has lost it and there is no going back however much Madelaine wishes it, lol. Sorry Mads he's a goner. He threatened Rosy and calmly kept it moving, scary :-( Ale will come around.
Romy
 

UA: Love your recaps. The writing is superb and I especially like the dialogues.

I'm getting so tired of this TN that I'm actually looking forward to Maria's antics.

Dr. C: I'd like to order a Virgin Mary and sit at the Maria table, please.

Nanette
 

Romy: I'm hoping JL can be saved. He has gone no crazier than Ale at different points. I will be very disappointed if the writers continue him down this path to his death. For me, he has been one of the more honorable characters and to have the writers "break" him and then kill him off and then allow Ale and Montse to live happily ever after...that would be just awful to me.
 

The kind of hatred and obsession Ale and JL have for each other and Monse can only be cured by lots of therapy (for all three of them), or death. I don't see these writers going the therapy route, so someone has to go, and we know who it will be.
 

Therapy isn't ever made important in novelas except by its absence. That really disturbs me but it's a lot less dramatic when characters go to shrinks and start hearing a voice of reason.

Where JL is becoming more dangerous is that his crazy is coming from a guy who had to have learned a lot of self-discipline in the military before we get to this point. Becoming unhinged is dangerous in a man with military training.

Remember also that he doesn't have any blood family either -- lots of characters in this story don't -- so no restraints, no ties that bind. Alejandro has Rosario, Laurito, and Monserrat whom he loves and needs to protect. Look at the other characters who don't have relatives: Pedro, EZ, Maria. We know what path they're headed down.

The two wild cards are Adolfo and Fabiola. It hasn't been confirmed that Fabiola is Gracie's daughter and Adolfo fell in with the wrong side. He is likely not to survive this. I see him dying redemptively while protecting Nadia and/or Victoria.

Josefina is loved and will be protected by someone, most likely Dimitrio.
 

Isn't it about time for Ultimas Semanas?
 

We're almost there. We have 41 capitulos to go, so that announcement will come probably in two weeks.

Does anyone know if any episodes are being pre-empted for the World Cup?
 

Urban,

Your not using nicknames for the characters is really helpful for dummies like me.

But most helpful of all are your dialogues. I can imagine the enormous amount of time you spend doing this. It helps so much those of us whose Spanish is not up to snuff.

And as you point out some of the actors speak rapid street Spanish. Most of the time, i just don't get what they say.

And last night Marcario,of course,had some pearls of wisdom to offer. But for you, Urban, i would have missed them.

Finally,to all you nice people, if some of have commented previously about what i say next, please forgive me. But it aggravates me to no end that in TNs, no one ever seems concerned about having unprotected sex. That's not real world.

But, of course, TNs, are anything but, I keep telling myself.


 

Urban A,
Thanks for the superbly written recap. As always, it was a pleasure to read.

After the scolding from Mac and Rosario I know that Ale will have a change of heart. I am more worried about his night with BM. I hope Montse somehow gets her hands on that will and is able to tell Ale about it before his night with BM.

Great to see Gracie get stood up by Sandro. IS this the beginning of the end for her? Let's hope.

I did not like Monica at all in this epi. She is as straight as an arrow. I wonder if she will look the other way when she finds out that Dimi knew about Ale's whereabouts. Will she change her mind about breaking the law when it is Dimi that has committed the crime? This will certainly bring Fina and Dimi close again. Can't wait for that.

More later. I need to get ready for my step-daughter's graduation. I am nervous and excited.

Hasta pronto!
 

I agree completely on the unprotected sex thing, Farmer. This keeps happening because of the plot points that can result from it.

There was a recent series, Mentir Para Vivir, that brought home that point on HIV. What bothers me just as much is the rush to get pregnant on the honeymoon. We know in the real world that this is not usually a good thing.
 

I found last night's closed captioning out of sync. This made me appreciate Urban's super recap all the more, what with its fantastic dialogues.

And this was a crucial episode.

Did anyone else also have problems with the CC?
 

Farmer, the CC was a mess for me as well! I like to read what they are saying because I don't always understand the words they are saying. It helps me learn new words too. Thanks Urban! Your recap was extremely helpful.

Caryn
 

Carvivlie: Will JL's actions forever be compared to Ale's? Ale is brought up as a counterbalance whenever anything is said about him. Ale did an awful lot of crazy isht, yes, he did but does that excused any of JL's actions? It seems to me we want them as a two for one deal. My children like to pull the same crap " he did it first" sorry to say in my house that does not fly with me since I can't control the Patio I think that from now on I am going to drink a shot of tequila whenever someone brings up "Ale did it first" mantra. I'll be drunk for the next 41 episodes *eagerly anticipates drinking myself to death*
Romy
 

Did anyone else feel that Alejandros acceptance of Maria's offer was his (childish) way of getting back at Monse for keeping the baby? It felt like a way to hurt her, to really stick it to her.
 

Romy, I think you misunderstood, or I didn't articulate well, the point I was trying to make. Which is, the writers have made Ale do/say some pretty awful things yet they keep redeeming him, so I still think JL, despite his recent actions, can be saved by the writers.

But I feel the exact opposite of you, in that for every bad thing Ale continually does, JL's past actions are used to balance that out.
 

Romy- I think the caparison comes because Ale is supposed the hero, and will end up with the girl, the kid(s), and the family in the end. And JL will end up frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog as he takes his last breaths. :) It's an affront to any sense of fairness. But who said life, or tns, were fair?
 

I think JL's actions are compared to Alejandro's simply because of how harsh JL is judged for them. At times it feels like they could commit the same exact wrong, but because Alejandro is the male lead and many find him more physically attractive, his wrong is looked upon as a lesser crime than JL's. I see the argument as more, if you're going to crucify one, crucify both.
 

Anonymous at 4:25: No. It would be an act of desperation.

He has no other way to get this back. Pedro took the archival copy from the hall of records so that is the only copy left. It's not just about the money, it's about his identity and good name.

As to both men's bad actions and words I wonder whether the writers are saying to women "All men are jerks about women; get used to it."
 

I agree he's desperate to get back the only evidence of his innocence, its just the timing of when he accepted her offer that makes me feel he's almost trying to get back at Monse. Why didn't he accept before the whole baby news? Didn't Monse even say it was ok and he refused?

As for the writers, I wouldn't put it past some of them to be sending that horrible message.
 

Just thinking ahead to the previews, if Maria does manage to get the will back from Sandro, will Ale stick to his end of the bargain? I don't really trust her to just give it back. I think she had something up her sleeve. Hope Ale doesn't end up catching an STD, or impregnating Maria, as Farmer said, no one worries about unprotected sex.

Maricruz
 

Thanks for the recap! I love these noir photos, too.

I hope this show breaks from tradition and Montse decides to ditch both Ale and JL. They are both terrible immature narcissistic obsessive ragemonsters. Montserrat has her flaws, too, but she is a good mother. She should set a good example for her children by not tolerating the crap their fathers manufacture.

I mostly still watch to find out what Dimitrio and Josefina will do.
 

I neglected to answer an earlier question about the photo at the top. I don't know what film it's from but I thought it apt because of Maria's very narcissistic delusion that she is all that and a bag of chips plus the salsa.

As to Maria's stated bargain? We all know she isn't trustworthy. Remember how she once said she'd rather see him dead than with Monserrat?

What I would like to see is heroes and heroines vanquishing the villains. It was a big change in CME when the hero killed the villain in a duel (self-defense). I'd like to see that again. This one is ripe for Monserrat to send Maria to hell. She will have to find out eventually that Maria was the one who shot her.
 

Anon: I got the same feeling when Ale told Maria he'd sleep with her for the will, that it was partially a revenge thing.
 

Curious about "Tita"???

 

Julia: I'm only watching for the secondary characters. The leads bore me. I want to find out if Fina and Dim get together. Does Esme have a boy or girl (here's hoping it's a girl)? I want to see Vic, Nads and Little V get back together. And all the villain's comeuppances too, of course.
 

Yes, Fatima. I'm so glad you brought up, that was serious abuse. It should be addressed. Imagine if it were your daughter that was called "worst than prostitute" thrown out of home, takes up w another woman. Then he he says he is sorry. I know she forgave becsuse she loves him, I'm guilty too for same reason. I just dont want any impressionable young women to think it is okay to be treated like dirt and romanticize it. In the name of passionate love. Monste is a role model due to her looks, social class and good manners, I hope the wrong message is not taken by any vulnerable
Women. I know because I know.
 

The noir pic doesn't look like a publicity still to me.
 

Thanks for another excellent recap, UA. What a great movie shot to start things off. I read this this morning but didn't have time to comment until now. Good job.

Nanette, you are most welcome at María's table. I think you'll really enjoy your spicy Virgin Mary, it's garnished with a celery stalk and a tiny pickled okra, and the rim is crusted with black salt. Salud.

Macario's little metaphor brought back a fond memory for me. A little over 50 years ago my grandfather's little Quarterhorse mare, Sugarfoot (a cowhorse most cowboys only ever dream about) gave birth to a gangly mottled gray male colt. There was not much doubt about the the identity of the daddy. My cousin whose nickname was Cheesy (I never knew why) had a large gray stallion that was something of a neighborhood nuisance... because he was a stallion and because he had little regard for fences.... that he pastured on his momma's place not far from there. Well about the time the colt was being weaned, Cheesy (who was also a bit of a neighborhood nuisance) and his son (Little Cheesy, natch) pulled up to my grandfather's house with a horse trailer behind his pick up. He'd come to claim his colt, who by this time we'd named Sweetnin'.

My grandfather so very long ago explained thing to my cousin in exactly the same way as Macario explained it to Alejandro. Sweetnin' became my horse and years later my daughter and her cousins learned to ride astride his broad back and though unlike his mother, he was never much of a cowhorse, my mom would ride him to chase after her cows. Cheesy eventually got over it.

María's aim seems to have improved. Now I wonder if there'll be candles, rose petals, Champagne, and chocolate dipped strawberries at María's place tonight?

Carlos
 

If those avances are true and Sandro is no longer with us after tonight, what will happen to his popsicle-colored blazers?

Are there game show hosts or used-car salesmen in Aguazul?

Plus, who is going to boink Graciela, not that it ever improved her mood any?
 

The recaps and comments for this show are so great that even though I'm only watching sporadically and mostly for Maria and Esmeralda (dang it Refugio, get it together) the recaps are always a pleasure to read. Thanks Urban Anthropoligist and all the other recappers.

Also I know this makes me all kinds of sucker but I really want Maria and Fofito work it out, and end up together.Those two crazy kids are made for each other and the sooner they get over their obsessions with people who don't understand them, I see them taking over Pedro's drug business and living a life of luxury and sexxy danger.
 

Cavivlie, fair enough. As for Ale sleeping with Maria for revenge let's wait and see IF he actually go thru with it. I think not but who knows.
Romy
 

Late to the party. It was almost 90 here today, so I was able to go swimming for the first time this season after I got home from work. (Four more days left this summer session. then...VACA.

UA..Thanks fir this wonderful, detailed recap. I am confused. how did Sandy find out that Gracie was doublecrossng him ? The last thing I remember was the two of them in bed. I have been a little tired and distracted lately, so I might gave missed something.

The advances were scary. Crazy Maria in her blonde Mony wig aiming a gun at Sandy.

I loved Macario giving it to Ale. However, that little saying "If you OWN the mare, the foal is yours" is right up there with that other farm saying "Why buy the cow if you are getting the milk for free." Yikes

Judyb...I understand what you are saying. After my first baby died the day after he was born, I had a miscarriage six months later. I was teaching in a senior high school , and there were several pregnant students who were constant reminders of what I had lost. Some kept their babies, and others gave them up for adoptions. I am sure that other students had abortions. it seemed as though babies were all around me..many of them unwanted while I wanted a baby so badly. When I had my daughter a year later. I was in recovery and so happy. I asked the young girl in the bed next to mine what she was naming her baby, she replied ,I am giving him up for adoption."
 

UA, thanks for the recap.

Hmmmmmm. During your recap, you noted that Alejandro looked back and remembered that he was "a jerk, a cad and an idiot". Is this your way of sneaking in some Alejandro insults and hoping that I wouldn't notice? :-)
 

I love this blog and the comments! Beautifully written recap indeed. Today's comments have compelled me to join in.

Fatima, I agree with much of what you said regarding Ale's insults to Monse when he threw her out. Not addressed enough and though it is a TN, some girls watching may romanticize it that behavior and its uncalled for. There is a survey by the producer, Angelli Nesma and that was exactly my point to her!

Having said, I still love all the storylines, Ale & Monse especially. They've done plenty to aggravate the audience but to me, that's part of the ride! I think Ale has paid severely for his mistakes, 7 years lost, 7 years of missed opportunity to grow and mature. I still love the complexity of this character.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join in! I look forward to the recaps every day! - Santi
 





<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder