Monday, July 14, 2014

Lo Que la Vida Me Robó Lunes 7/14/14 #174


Chapter 174: Eye of the Storm


Almonte Hacienda: Victor Hernandez had always been a romantic. He had begun his courtship of the beautiful Nadia Argüelles with a cart full of flowers on the estate of his best friend. In the same place he brought her a chamber orchestra for the proposal. She was delighted. Their little daughter watched them. She smiled at her parents' happiness. They had no idea what would shortly be waiting for them.

María's Apartment: Padre Anselmo was making his rounds visiting those whom he thought most needed his guidance. His arrival was not expected by the country girl turned whore.

What a surprise,” she said. She didn't look happy to see him. “I never expected you to come looking for me here.”

I will never forget how you deceived me to steal something that wasn't yours,” he began.

Surprise. That was a long time ago. Where were you all these years?”

Let's just say a retreat where I was praying for all the souls that have gone astray. Like yours.”

I advise you not to waste your time praying for me,” she said. “Better spend it on Alejandro and Monserrat. From now on they will need all your prayers. You don't know what's waiting for them.”

I don't know you anymore, María,” he replied. “ You are not the little girl I knew at the hacienda. If anyone had told me you would become this person, I would never have believed it.”

Believe what? The only person guilty for what's happened to my life is Alejandro,” she said, getting up. “I swear to you he will be sorry for never accepting my love.”

What are you talking about, María? You have become your Uncle Juventino. Remember how that man ended up? It's time to reflect, my child. You need to repent of your sins.”

He was shocked when she laughed.

Ah, dear God, Father,” she said as she approached him. “I'm not interested in repentance. What's more,” she said as she touched him from behind, “I have already been to hell.”

He turned around. He had never heard anyone say this before.

But believe me,” she continued. “I will reel Alejandro in in the end.”

My God,” he said, shaking his head in disbelief.


Solares Apartment: Refugio Solares sat on the couch, holding his baby son. He was becoming accustomed to being a father. He told little Angel that he would win back his mother's love. Esmeralda returned from her workout. She wanted to bathe, but he insisted upon speaking with her. About honesty. She had never told him that María Zamudio was employed at La Escondida. She explained that she did that as a favor to Ezekiel when he had been chief of police. It was to protect María from Pedro Medina, who had almost beaten her to death. She had disappeared a couple of years later and no one knew where she had gone. He pointed out that she was now employed there again. Esmeralda didn't know; she had been rehired behind her back. She wasn't happy about this, but made nothing else of it.


Álvarez House: Mad Dog Álvarez opened the door to the padre. He had a tequila bottle in hand. The bottle was more than half empty. The padre apologised for just dropping in, but said he always went where he was needed. They went into the study. The padre declined his offer of a drink. They sat on either side of the desk.

Son, this isn't the way to dispel your pain.”

What are you talking about, Father? Would you prefer I take that pistol and shoot Alejandro for all the rage I have inside?”

Why don't you put it away, son? Put it away.”

Mad Dog looked at the pistol through his drunken haze. He put it in the desk drawer.

Never did I think I would ever have to save your soul,” said the good priest. “I always prayed to God for you.”

Stop telling me that. Your prayers have done nothing.”

Don't say that, son.”

It's so unfair, Father!” he shouted. “It's so unfair, at least to me. God has abandoned me; what has He given me in exchange? Why is He punishing me? Taking away love?”

No, son. You need to resign yourself. At least to learn to lose, son.”

Oh, please, Father, what are you talking about? I've lost everything that meant anything in my life. And you know what? I'm fed up. Look, I have sacrificed. And what good has that done me? So now, things are different.”

Do not abandon God, my son.”

God? God? God? Oh, please. I curse God. I curse God!” He watched the priest's expression change to despair. “He took Angélica from me. Then I had a chance to marry Monserrat and have a child. And then what did God do? I'll tell you what He did. Saved Alejandro from the accident. He came back here and once again, he took everything that meant anything to my life.” He swallowed as he caught his breath. “You want to see what I have left from my marriage to Monserrat?” He bent over to pick up the photo he had hurled the day before. “Look at this, Father. This.” He threw it back down on the floor.

You're also waiting for a baby to be born.”

A child. A child I can't have at my side, Father. Does that sound fair to you?” He drank again from the bottle. “This is my payment for saving Alejandro's life several times? I have sacrificed many times for him. I'm tired of this. My soul doesn't need salvation. God hasn't been fair to me. Therefore I will do justice by my own hand. Alejandro and Monserrat will pay for their treachery.”

Father Anselmo stared in disbelief. This was not the man he knew eight years before.


Outdoor Café: Joséfina Valverde arrived at the café that overlooked the town square. Just as she was about to begin reading Dimitrio arrived and asked to join her.

You remember? This is the place where I stood on the stepladder and shouted to the whole world that I loved you.”

Yes. It was crazy, but very romantic.”

Romantic, but a lot of good it did me. You still went away. Which was the right thing because we weren't ready to be together.”

Joséfina didn't want to go down that road. “Why are we talking about this?”

Because...I don't know... because... we never talked about our feelings.

Of course.” She was uncomfortable with this line. “Well, I'm going away again.”

A long trip? Again?”

Yes. But if you need me in Aguazul, I'll change my plans.”

Thanks, but go ahead. You're going with Adolfo?”

Yes, I'm going with Adolfo.”

Then I guess that's it. Have a great trip.”

They said goodbye. Joséfina wasn't sure she wanted to.


Outside Mendoza/Basurto Manor: Both Adolfo and Ezekiel were tense.

We can't take this lying down, Adolfo. We have to find Pedro before he finds us.”

I have all my people looking for him. They have instructions to contact you as soon as there is any news.”

Why me?”

You're in total charge. I've leaving Aguazul.”

No, no, no, no. What are you talking about? You can't just go and leave me with this problem.”

I've made my decision. I've had it with this garbage. Ezekiel, I have to change my life.”

You're an imbecile! You're in too deep. We have to solve this together. We have to put our heads together and think. Do you want to lose everything because of your brother-in-law?”

Yes. I'm done with it all.” Ezekiel looked back in shock. “I want to leave it all behind. I want a simple life with the woman I love. I don't need anything else.”

No. No. You know too much for me to let you leave.”

I'm not going to talk. I don't want to end up in prison. I won't talk. That's how this ends. You're in charge. Let me go. You don't need me, really.”

Of course I need you. Big time.”

You can take care of everything. Besides you don't help me.” He handed his pistol to him and started to leave.

Adolfo,” said Ezekiel, looking down at the heater. Adolfo came back. “Very well. Go. Enjoy your simple life. Until Medina finds you and it breaks into smithereens. Go.”

Adolfo snatched back the gun before he left. Ezekiel wasn't confident he could deal with this alone.


Almonte Beach House: Alejandro and Monserrat had waited too long for their fresh start. They were painting the interior of the house. The blue walls were being covered with a fresh coat of ivory paint to signify the clean slate they hoped for their lives. Father Anselmo walked right in. For once his day was looking brighter. Dimitrio came in right behind him.

Hey, are we going to talk about Gaudencia and whether she's found a new pigeon?” Dimitrio asked, half-joking.

Father, is it true that my mother grew up in poverty in a tin shack outside town?” Monserrat asked.

Yes, my child. The whole world knows; it's not a secret in the confessional. Disgracefully, Benjamin didn't take this well when he found out. Your mother thought she could hook him and that's why she got pregnant.”

My God. My father died without knowing so many things about my mother.”

How is it possible that Father died without knowing that Gaudencia Jimenez was poor – “

Stop it, young man!” Padre Anselmo had hoped his bad day was coming to an end. “Don't talk like that about your mother. Do you understand?” They all fell silent. “Well, that's done. I will pray for your mother's soul. Now, I'd like to see Rosario about some coffee.”

He went to the kitchen. As he left Dimitrio took a paint roller to help.

The paint dried just in time for the new furniture and carpeting. The Almontes began to relax and enjoy their lives. It would have been easier if Mad Dog Álvarez hadn't been stalking them.


Montage of the Passage of Time (about 6 months)
Beach: Alejandro and Monserrat walked along the shoreline. They were thinking of the child that would soon be born. They looked up and saw Mad Dog Álvarez staring at them.


Rome, Italy Jewelry Store: Gracie was living her wildest dream. She was spending the money she fleeced on expensive jewelry while sales clerks fawned over her. She gave not a single thought to any of her children.


Mexico, Women's Prison: While Monserrat worried about where Mad Dog would turn up next, Fabiola – the daughter Gracie had thrown to the wolves – was running from the other inmates.


María's Apartment: María refused to give up her delusions. She dressed in a green daytime dress with an A-line skirt.. She put on the blonde wig she wore when attempting to trap Alejandro. She imagined him approaching her from behind, saying sweet nothings. But it all came to nothing. She pulled off the wig and collapsed on her bed.


Solares Apartment: Refugio wouldn't give up trying to reconcile with Esmeralda. Although she loved that he was a caring father she still would not forgive him.


Almonte Hacienda: Monserrat and Carlota helped Nadia choose her bridal gown. Although she could not see her reflection she somehow knew she looked beautiful.


Almonte Beach House: Mad Dog Álvarez refused to give up. He brought a red car to Lauro for his birthday, a plausible excuse to enter. Alejandro wanted to throw him out, but stopped himself.


Town Square: Ezekiel ran for the governor's office, giving speeches. Carlota stood by him like a politician's wife should.


Bakery Café: The citizens of Aguazul kept Macario and Dominga very busy indulging their love of sweets. Maybe a few dentists were also busy.


Hospital: Monserrat had an ultrasound test to make sure the baby was alright. Alejandro was at her side.
 So was Mad Dog Álvarez, who arrived uninvited. When he tried to touch her abdomen she sent him to stand behind the doctor, saying he was blocking her view of the screen. She said nothing about the fact that although it was allmost seven months later he still wore his wedding ring.


Managua, Nicaragua: Joséfina and Adolfo helped orphaned children by buying and building swing sets and other things for them. Adolfo felt free for the first time in his life.


Almonte Beach House: Dimitrio was still nursing a broken heart. His nephew and little Victoria tried to help by getting him to play with them.


Almonte Hacienda, Bedroom: Monserrat and Joséfina helped Nadia dress on her wedding day. They declared her beautiful. She was, because she was happy. She thanked Joséfina for coming home with Adolfo in time for the wedding.

My friend, we are so happy for you!” Joséfina said as she hugged her.

Has the bouquet been delivered, Joséfina?” asked Monserrat.

I think so. Can you check?” Monserrat went out to get it.

Now, walk a little so I can see the train. Is it too long?” Joséfina said. Monserrat returned with a large box. “Good. You're all ready.”

Monserrat opened the box and jumped back in horror.

Ay! A scorpion! Who could have done this?”

Ay, it's the only thing I don't like about your husband's hacienda,” Joséfina said. She carefully removed the bouquet from the box, shaking it to make sure the scorpion fell out of it.

Did you get the scorpion out?” asked Nadia, who was finally becoming a nervous bride. She could not see that Joséfina had closed the box on the ugly creature.

Yes, it's in the box. I'll take it out into the garden, poor thing.”

Joséfina, I never imagined you not being afraid of such insects,” said Monserrat.

You can't imagine the rare animals I've seen in my travels. You learn a lot.”

She examined the bouquet once again before handing it to Nadia.


Study: Alejandro and the priest sat in the study, awaiting the groom. When he arrived the padre gently scolded him that it was high time he made an honest woman of Nadia after living in sin with her for so long. Macario arrived with a bottle of mescal and some glasses.


Porch: Dimitrio stared out into the garden. Adolfo arrived in time to disturb his thoughts.

What are you thinking about? The time we came here to blackmail Monserrat?”

I didn't know you had returned from your trip.”

I had to be here for my sister's wedding. Tell me about it. How are you?”

You know what I was thinking about? Around this time I was going to marry Mónica.”

I'm very sorry.”

You can't begin to understand it all. I can't sleep. Only that someone better than I will kill The Scorpion. It won't be me.”

We understood that Pedro was dead.”

Pedro? Pedro, no. Pedro is alive. And Pedro isn't The Scorpion.”

Why do you say that?” Adolfo was forcing himself to remain cool.

First of all, The Scorpion hides. He wouldn't wear a pendant like Pedro did. He was at the funeral, then he wasn't.”

Adolfo was having trouble facing him. He was rescued by the arrival of Virginia Arechiga, but not from what was left of his conscience.


Parlor: The ladies were admiring little Angel Solares. Dominga spoke of how much she wanted to be a mother. Ezekiel asked whether she and her husband would consider adopting a child. Dominga loved the idea. Carlota promised her help.

Monserrat's doctor arrived. Carlota said that Alejandro had been very attentive regarding his expectant wife. In fact, she was getting tired of him fussing over her. The baby was due in fifteen days.
Lauro and Victoria came in and Rosario instructed them as to their task during the wedding. The men arrived and announced they would go out to the chapel to wait. Monserrat came downstairs to announce that the bride was ready.


Outdoor Chapel: Nadia walked down the aisle on the arm of her brother. Victor stood before the altar in a handsome white suit. They took their vows before their friends.
Alejandro and Monserrat presented the rings.

Joséfina and Adolfo presented the gold coins.

Lauro and Victoria draped the bridal knot over them as they knelt for the prayer.

At last they were married. Little did any of them know that darkness was about to fall very suddenly.


Mendoza/Basurto Manor: Manuela opened the door to see Gracie, whom she was not expecting.

Doña Carlota didn't say you were returning.”

Where is that ridiculous woman and that joke of a husband of hers?”

Nobody else is here. They're all at Don Alejandro's hacienda. Doña Nadia is marrying Don Victor.”

Those two are getting married? I never thought Pedro would divorce that blind slut. Now help the driver take all those bags up to my room.”

Si, si.”

And don't make faces, Manuela. I'm going to make Ezekiel an offer he can't refuse and there are going to be a lot of changes around here. You get that?” Manuela didn't answer. “Hurry up.”

Si, Señora.” Manuela was already imagining the abuse in her future.


Restaurant: Refugio – who would have preferred to accompany Esmeralda – was in Mad Dog Álvarez' company. Neither was in any kind of a good mood.

Esmeralda won't see me. She didn't want me with her at the wedding.”

It's a pity you haven't resolved this situation. I don't understand.”

I've given her time. In the past two months, she doesn't want anything to do with me.”

I understand. Monserrat doesn't want anything to do with me either. The worst is she doesn't want to return to my arms. Even if Alejandro were to die, that won't happen.”

Refugio gave him a suspicious look. “Why do you say that?”

Mad Dog shrugged. “Nobody's life is guaranteed.”

You're scaring the crap out of me. Get that woman out of your head. This is obsession. Monserrat isn't the only woman on the face of the earth.”

I know she's not the only woman, but she's the mother of my daughter. You know what? The only thing that consoles me and keeps me alive is knowing that my daughter will be born soon. And that sooner or later they will pay for everything they've done to me. Absolutely. Karma exists.”

Refugio stared hard at him. He wasn't looking at the same man who had once been his best friend.


Outdoor Chapel: As the bride and groom kissed, the guests called for the bouquet. Victor helped her to aim. The unmarried ladies gathered and Joséfina caught it.

Well, I guess this is a sign,” said Adolfo.

Adolfito, she teased.

A few feet away, Monserrat doubled over in pain.

Ay, Alejandro; it's coming.”

Alejandro called for help to get Monserrat to the hospital. The doctor was immediately at her side. “There isn't enough time; it's three hours away.” she said. She began giving orders to get her medical bag, boil water, and everything else seen in the movies about sudden labor. She and Alejandro then led Monserrat into the house.
Amelia Arechiga took out her cell phone. She called Mad Dog Álvarez to give him the news. He ended the call and told Refugio, who said he would accompany him.


Bedroom: The doctor had been prepared. She did her best to calm her patient and her nervous husband. Finally she sent everyone else out.
Good thing, because Macario looked ready to faint. Alejandro refused to leave, so the doctor began giving him instructions.


Reception: The guests enjoyed their meals under the light of a full moon.
Adolfo put off a business discussion with Ezekiel to dance with the bride. Victor got his little daughter to dance with him. All seemed right with the world.


Parlor: Carlota thought that Alejandro's worrywart behavior had made Monserrat afraid. Dimitrio was worried about Monserrat giving birth outside of a hospital. Carlota told him that the doctor wasn't concerned about anything bad happening. It had been three hours since they had gone upstairs. Dominga finally came in with a tea tray, for which Carlota thanked her profusely.

Just as Mad Dog Álvarez arrived the cry was heard. Carlota and Dimitrio hugged. As did Mad Dog and Refugio.


Mendoza/Basurto Manor: Gracie sat in the dining room having her evening coffee. She looked up to see Pedro Medina, who had entered without being announced.

I knew you came back from your trip,” he said. “I wanted to greet you personally, Gracie.”

She looked as though she needed a vomitorium.


Almonte Hacienda: Monserrat held the baby as Rosario took away the soiled sheets and the doctor's scrubs. The doctor told her that they should go to the hospital in the morning. That was to see the pediatrician and so she could give Monserrat a thorough exam. Alejandro asked to hold the baby, so she handed her to him.

You are adorable!” he said to the baby. To Monserrat he said “You never said what you wanted to name her.”

Actually, I didn't think about that.”

I know that it's not an option, that it would be impossible, but so that you won't have any doubt that I will always love her as if she were my (biological) daughter, I would love it if she were named Alejandra.”

He followed Monserrat's line of sight and saw Mad Dog Álvarez standing right behind him.  They had not heard him enter.

Labels:


Comments:
It's a shame Monserrat can't ask EZ to replace JL as Chief of Police when she needs a restraining order against him.

Don't miss any of this week's action!
 

I can't believe Alejandro had the NERVE to say that!!!! I'm no fan of JL, but that is just delusional! How egotistical and self-centered, aside from being completely insensitive and idiotic!
 

Loved the recap! "Maybe a few dentists were also busy"/"She looked as if she needed a vomitorium" were my faves. Thanks!

Padre Anselmo was on a tear tonight telling BM that she was turning into her uncle Juventino and telling JL that his lesson was to learn how to lose.

They did a good job showing time passing and not making us go through month after boring month of Montse's pregnancy, JL's reconciliation with Ale and Montse, PBN and Víctor's engagement, Refugio trying to win back Esme, seeing Josefina and Adolfo at more than one orphanage, etc.

Who would have thought that Pedro complete with his scorpion necklace and Graciela being a bigger witch than ever would return to the story at the same time? What a treat!

BTW, the scorpion in the bridal bouquet was genius especially knowing it was meant for Poor BLIND Nadia.

Looks like it will be fun to the end!

Jarifa
 

Urban, thanks for that excellent, detailed, and illustrated recap.

There was plenty of happiness mixed in with moments of angst, but I kept waiting for Pedro to appear and bust up the wedding. He may still do something evil to the newlyweds. Victor was sweet in his dance with little Victoria.

Montse will have her hands full, recovering for her delivery, taking care of a newborn, and coping with dueling baby daddies. Good planning to have the doctor on hand at the remote ranch.

Dimetrio is a sloppy painter, in spite of his helpful intentions.
 

Nadia's head piece, veil and hairdo were horrendous! Sure, she can't see, but the others can! I wouldn't let my good friend walk down the aisle looking like that - que horror!
 

I may have heard wrong, but I thought Mad Dog said, "even if Alejandro were to die, that (Montse returning to him) wouldn't happen" and not "UNLESS Alejandro were to die" ... ?

He seems to have accepted the fact that she won't ever return to him and now all he wants is revenge on both of them, to make their happiness impossible.
 

Urban,

Thank you profundamente for your 6-7 hours of work on this well written, detailed, accurate recap.

I stayed up late to read it because I missed a few things, especially what Dimitrio said to Adolfo re el Alacran -- altho I am not sure I understand what he means or how he knows.

Many thanks...
 

Good going, Montserrat! Way to grab attention from the bride - hey, everyone, look at me! I'm having a baby! Yes, it was mother nature, but still - LOL!
 

I think Dimitrio has developed very good instincts. He seems to realize that nobody would do something that obvious. He also knows -- or should know by now -- that Pedro has severely abused Nadia and that he isn't above hurting those whom his enemies care about.
 

Thank you Urban for this very detailed recap! I was sure EZ was going to shoot Adolfo when Adolfo said he was giving up "the business". Interesting twist that now everything is on EZ's shoulders, especially considering that EZ has an immunity agreement from Admiral Robledo locked in his safe.

It's fascinating to me that Agua Azul apparently has no media to speak of. We never see a newspaper, TV, or radio. We do know that the town has Internet access from that episode where Esme taught Monica how to sell her extra stuff on eBay. :)

I could not believe that Dominga and Macario have never considered adoption. Really?

I had to LOL at Fina telling Monste "you've been married so many times..." Nadia's dress was gorgeous, but her hair was awful and that big jewel on her forehead was like a flashing sign saying, "I don't realize how bad this looks because I'm blind!"

Yep, Monste's timing and the whole labor scene was comical. I agree, Ale asking that the baby be named after him was awful. I don't think Ale is the brightest crayon in the box, but even I didn't think he was that dumb. Just terrible, terrible writing.

 

I guess im now rooting for Pedro:) To admit he was always my favorite character on the show,he is kinda like Joffrey from Game Of Thrones,we love to hate him as much as we love to hate Pedro:D

I dont like the boring Victor ,he should be the first on Pedros terminator List. Also i loved the Scorpion scene ,Peddy Jr sure has nice body patterns,too bad he doesnt have a mustache:)

And i laughed at "Gracie is now in the need of a vomitorium" ,wonderful recap Urban!
 

When Pedro returned i thought of this theme : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFA919tjtq4

All Hail Our No-Ball Scorpion King Pedro !
May he unleash his fury on his lower subornates and his enemies!
Nobody will escape his wrath ,less the King himself ends bathing in The Graceful Scorpion blood!
May the Balless King live forever,may he not die out of lung cancer,acid or headshots!
No Balls will rule forever!
 

Why do the writers keep making Adolfo do such horrid things.

Where does Victor keep getting all these flowers. I haven't seen any other flowers anywhere on the hacienda.
 

Urban:

Sorry, I meant to say MDA, not Adolfo doing horrid things. It's very early in the morning on the East Coast in NC (and I just woke up).

I hate the way that MDA keeps using Monse's kindness and Laurito and now the new baby to manipulate everyone. He keeps going downhill faster and faster. It will be interesting to see if he keeps drinking now that he is a father.

I thought I was going to throw up when he showed up for the ultrasound and the birth of the baby. How dare Amelia call him! It's none of her business!

MDA is getting worse and worse with his obsession. While, Aldofo's trip with Josefina proved to me that the writers may have something good in store for us and Aldofo may come out of this alive and a better person. Just a guess and a hope.

Horrid EZ got immunity, Right?

By the way, these screen shots were the best!

 

Jarifa:

What did you mean about Ale and MDA's reconciliation? To me there is no reconciliation between the two, just patience on Ale's side trying to deal with the situation and MDA so as not to "rock the boat".
 

Urban Anthropologist,
Amazing recap! Thanks for posting so early. Your work is greatly appreciated. I also loved all of the screen shots. They were awesome.

I have to agree that I too was happy to see the time lapse. I think they did a good job on that. I also like the remodel they did on the beach house. I don't think that Ale and Montse saw MDA looking at them when they were taking a stroll on the beach. To me it was kind of creepy that MDA was spying on them, especially since they were at their house. Who let MDA in?

BM has completely lost it. She needs to be behind bars before she hurts someone else. Padre A thinks she is redeemable, but he doesn't know the whole truth. Like that she shot Montse and killed Sandy.

xlntperuvian, ITA, I liked Nadia's wedding dress, but did not like her hair or head piece. What were they thinking? It reminded me of the horrible job they did on Montse's hair; I think it was at Esme's wedding. They made it look like a bird's nest. Anyway, cute wedding!

I wonder how "close" Fina and Addie got on their trip. Hmmm....

Anon 1:40am, you are right about what MDA said to Refu. I heard that too.

I thought Ale was super nervous when Montse went into labor. I also think he is sincere about raising that baby girl as his own. This is what he said about naming the baby:

"Yo se que no es un opcion, que seria imposible, pero para que no tengas dudas de que siempre voy a amarla como si fuera mi hija, me encantaria que se llamara Alejandra."

"I know that it's not an option, that it would be impossible, but so that you won't have any doubt that I will always love her as if she were my (biological) daughter, I would love it if she were named Alejandra."

So Ale knows that the baby is not going to be named after him. He knows that it's not an option and that it's impossible. He was just telling Montse how he felt, and reassuring her that he would raise this baby as his own. Plus he did not know that MDA had walked into the room unannounced. I don't think Ale would have said that if he knew MDA was in the room. I give Ale a pass on that one. Amelia should have told someone that she notified MDA.

He's Baaaaaaacccckkkk!!!!!!!
Can't wait to see what Peddy's going to do!

Off to bed...hasta pronto!
 

Nadia's hair piece -- Cleopatra?

AuntyAnn:

I agree with you about the translation of what Ale said to Monse about naming the baby girl Alejandra. That's exactly how I translated or understood it.
 

I personally am absolutely shocked that nothing seems to have been done to investigate Sandro's disappearance. You'd think the police would have gone to the airport to access flight passenger lists to locate him.

BTW, I agree about Nadia's headpiece, veil, and dress. The dress was lovely, but I liked the first one she tried on better.

Of course we know all hell is going to break loose with both Pedro and Gracie returning at the same time.

And what happened to the DNA test results they were waiting for when Dimitrio et al were at the morgue?
 

"Bakery Café: The citizens of Aguazul kept Macario and Dominga very busy indulging their love of sweets. Maybe a few dentists were also busy."

Love your dry sense of humor UA. And, as you know, always enjoy your "noir" style of writing....

"He was rescued by the arrival of Virginia Archiega, but not from what was left of his conscience."

and

"Little did any of them know that darkness was about to fall very suddenly."

Nice touch. Could have come out of any of my tattered paperback crime novels. Such a treat.

Haven't seen this yet, but really enjoyed the many screen shots. And dang, I can see the writers are going to drag out the Dimetrio/Josefina reconciliation even more with the arrival back of Virginia. Dang, dang, dang!!!!

Thanks as always for your dedication, hard work and marvelous wit.

 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Sorry, left out a big piece of the previous comment:
Beautiful recap, and rich collection of screenshots, hardly any reason to actually watch the show!
Well, Dim isn't "dim" after all.
And yes, what did happen to the DNA test. And was Graciela surprised at Pedro's appearance. Not hugely.
I guess he is there to collect on that debt Gracie owes him. I guess we can guess what he'll want her to do.

I know JL has passed to the dark side, but Ale should be more considerate in this uncomfortable situation that never the less exists, and discuss with Monse letting JL name his first little daughter-Monse did tell him he can see her as often as he wants, etc. It might do a lot to assuage his rage.

Amelia shouldn't have needed to call JL about the US, Ale and Monse should have called him as a gesture of good will. If he throws it back in their face then they would have a reason to shut him out.
 

Thanks for the great recap Urban. Loved the snarky comments and pictures.

I too loved the montage and scenes to show the passing of time. Most relaxing enjoyment have had with this show in quite awhile. The house scenes were cute, and I continue to love the Dim/Monse/kids relationship. Uncle extraordinaire.

As much as you want to feel for Adolfo, too late would be my guess. And the symbolization of taking the gun back says it all. And that little scene with Dim and Fina was the prelude to let us folks to know, as if we didn't already, these two are meant to be but need to TALK ABOUT IT.

Nadia looked horrid at the actual wedding. She looked amazing in that first dress try-on. Should have gone with that look. But whatever. Marriage means nothing which is a shame. Boy, we get a lot of worthless weddings in this TN.

I'm rather interested why Gracie thinks after what she did she could just walk right back into town. Not a bright move. The Pedro reveal was...well not much of a reveal. But he sure knows everyone's moves doesn't he?

And add me to those who wanted, after appreciating him holding his temper and acting his age with JL baiting him, to knock Ale out the window with the name idea. Really? Name her Rosario or something, but after yourself. Yikes, what an ego.

JL is doomed and now even Refugio knows it.

Daisynjay
 

Victoria, what I meant was that in the montage we saw JL with Laurito and it seemed that thet were at least tolerating each other for his sake. I probably should have put "reconciliation" in quotes or picked a different word.

Jarifa
 


Jarifa:

Yes I think Ale is just "tolerating" MDA, which I find commendable. I won't be able to put up with MDA's antics for a minute.
 

Emarie, I totally agree with you that JL should be a part of the decision making about the baby's name since she is his daughter. I would go as far as saying that Ale and Montse could easily defer to JL in this matter.

Jarifa
 

UA, from the screen shots, to your vivid, picturesque summary to the conversation translations -everything was inspired. I marvel at the care you give these summaries.

"He was rescued by the arrival of Virginia Arechiga, but not from what was left of his conscience"; "Si, Señora.” Manuela was already imagining the abuse in her future"; and "Refugio stared hard at him. He wasn't looking at the same man who had once been his best friend" were among my favorites.

I am happy that Adolfo and Fina were able to travel together. Perhaps this might have been a transformative trip had Adolfo had the opportunity to do this prior to becoming immersed in murder and mayhem. I'm sure he envisoned what life might have been like and experienced a temporary peace of mind that he knew was now beyond his grasp.

With all the crown jewels she just acquired, why is Graciela still sporting her tacky costume jewelry? So, she is just going to shashay back into town with what is left of her illegally obtained money without fear of retribution? Yes, apparantly so.

Watching Fabiola being attacked in prison was very difficult to watch.

xint: "Interesting twist that now everything is on EZ's shoulders, especially considering that EZ has an immunity agreement from Admiral Robledo locked in his safe". Yes, excellent observation...

Daisy “JL is doomed and now even Refugio knows it.” Yes, no one (including myself) is in denial at this point. He is poised on the edge of disaster without hope. I despise the fact he is bent on revenge which is sure to be his downfall.

It was unfortunate though that after the one happy event, the birth of his daughter, he did hear Ale talking about the baby's name. I agree Anon, daisy and others that this was another Ale mis-step: "egotistical and self-centered, insensitive...". Ale remained true to his character, never being able to see past himself. Agree with you Emarie, he might have thought to allow JL to name his daughter (along with Monse).

I seem to be in the minority but I thought Nadia looked beaufitul and I liked the head piece! I thought she really carried it off.

This was wonderful Urban. Thank you!

Diana
 

Alejandro had no idea he was there although I will go so far as to say that since MDA has been barging in uninvited before Alejandro might have given that some thought.

No, I don't think he's egotistical. I think he has learned from past mistakes. He's been remarkably tolerant of MDA's intrusions so far; you know the one with the red car for Lauro's birthday wasn't the first.

But the ultrasound one was creepy and MDA intended it to be so.
 

Great job, Urban. Loved all the dialogue and the generous helping of screenshots. Thank you!

Diana, I also liked thought Nadia looked beautiful -- it reminded me a little of Fina's first (fake) wedding to Dimitrio.

I was furious at Amelia for calling Mad Dog. Even if he is the biological father (which, by the way, I still doubt), he had no place intruding on the labor scene or barging into Montserrat's bedroom like that shortly after she had given birth. It is always the mother who decides who can be present at such a time.

So Adolfo and Josefina and Virginia have all returned to Aguazul and now they are vulnerable to Pedro Medina. And shameless Gaudy Jimenez is back in town. Should be interesting!
 

I could be proven wrong about this, but I doubt that Amelia has seen MDA's darkest side. He might still care about her opinion of him. That doesn't excuse her forgetting that Monserrat should have been asked if she wanted anyone to call him because mothers should have the last word on these things.

I also somewhat doubt his paternity based on the color of the baby's hair. It reminds me of a romance novel in which the heroine is a redhead who is raped by a member of the hero's clan. The hero is blond (a Viking) and the villain has black hair. The baby is born with red hair, like the mother's. I think they eventually determined paternity by a birthmark.

Now, of course, there are better ways.
 

I too have always wondered if the baby is MDA's or Ale's.

Does anyone remember the timeline between when Monse had sex with MDA during their honeymoon and when she first had sex with Ale after his return to AquaAzul?

But since the baby was born 2 weeks premature, my hopes have diminished.
 

Urban- Your great detailed recap and excellent screenshots make me feel like I've watched the episode. Excellent work!

Another time jump so that AB doesn't have to be visibly pregnant for more than one episode. :) Poor Esmeralda seemed like she had been pregnant 12 months, with all that happened while she had her basketball belly.

I think one of the first things Ale and Monse would have done is do all the mental gymnastics and medical procedures it took to work out if JL is the father or not. I think we can be sure the little girl is JL's.

Dim and Fina are still dancing around their feelings. It will be interesting to see how an all grown up Virginia fits into the current Dim-Fina-Adolfo triangle. So, did they or didn't they? That's a lot of months to be traveling together and not become more physically intimate.
 

I fell asleep during the whole episode, but I don't think I need to see it given your wonderful retelling of this story, Urban! Such perfect still shots!! I know how many hours went into this. I cannot thank you enough.

Call me confused, but I think I am missing exactly what it was that Alejandro said re the baby's name that has everyone upset. Per what Aunty Ann has written above, was Alejandro saying that even though he knows it's not possible, if he could, he would love to name the baby Alejandra? IF he is saying this, then I see it as a way of reassuring Montserrat and others that he WILL accept this baby no matter what.

What am I missing in the actual translation, please?

I don't think Amelia had any right to contact JL. That was Montserrat's call. We know she is going to let him be a part of this child, but I think that she and Alejandro deserved their time together first. JL has turned into a stalker. He has a plan of revenge. Amelia needs to know JL's plan so that she doesn't do this kind of thing in the future.

Personally, I hope that the child is not JL's. I just can't see tolerating JL for the rest of their lives. JL is only going to get worse. This stupid triangle isn't good for anyone, especially the children.

Fatima
 

Confused. After Fabiola was attacked in prison, did something else happen that got her a release? Did I imagine that I saw her in the advances out of prison? So soon? How? Why?

Pedro looked quite spiffy for someone in hiding for the last seven (7) months.
Who is EZ running against for governor? Who was interim gov while Pedro hid? Is Pedro still the governor?
A lot of people come back from the presumed dead in this TN: Maria, Padre, Victor, Nadia, Ale and now, of course, Pedro.
 

We haven't been told about any prenatal DNA testing. I think it would be in character for Alejandro and Montserrat to have decided against testing once Alejandro had declared he would view the child as his own. There would be nothing to gain from proving that he was NOT the biological father.

Fatima, about naming the baby after himself -- I think Alejandro was just trying to put into words how fully he was embracing this child as his. I think you have it exactly right.

As Emarie said, the DNA test that WAS mentioned but whose results were never disclosed was the one on the body believed to be Pedro's. Now THAT was important -- either the police and the marina have conclusive proof that the body wasn't Pedro's or someone is monkeying with the DNA lab again.
 

I knew most everyone would be jumping all over Ale as soon as I heard him say what he said about naming the baby without paying attention to his preceding words"he knows it's impossible" Lol, it never fails, the let's blame Ale. Anyhoo, poor baby, saddled with a crazed, obsessed papa. I predict ugly things to come out of the situation, no it's not a spoiler but common sense. Amelia should mind her damn business. It was not her place to call MDJL.
Where is Madelaine?
Romy
 

Mads is taking care of some family business and will be back soon. She is well.
 

NovelaMaven, thank you for verifying that I understood Alejandro's words correctly. Therefore, what he said is perfectly fine, in my book. 7 years ago, I doubt he would have seriously made that suggestion.

Given how crazed JL is at this point, IF it were me, I would want to have a DNA test so that I might be able to have JL out of my life once and for all.

Graciela has a heck of a lot of nerve, don't you think, to just show up as if nothing had happened. Does she really think that NO ONE is aware of her massive con?!

Vivi in DC, thank you for reassuring us about Madelaine.

Madelaine, amiga, we look forward to your return and to hearing your latest ear worms!

Fatima
 

Maybe this might go the way of other TNs and Monse's baby will get sick and when she needs a transfusion, they'll find out she isn't MDA's baby.
Just a guess and a hope; although I don't think the writers will go in that direction. They made a big deal about Ale's reaction to the news and then his forgiveness and now his acceptance and showing Monse he really cares by saying he "wished" (but knew it to be impossible) the baby could be called Ale. I don't think he meant it literally; he just wanted to reasure Monse again that he would raise the baby as his own.
 

Dear Urban Anthropologist,

Thanks again for another wonderful recap! It was richly detailed and enjoyable to read, and I loved all the fantastic screen shots.

I was disappointed in most of the wedding fashions last night, I admit, including Nadia's headpiece. But the doctor won my best-dressed award easily for that very pretty one-shouldered red number she was wearing. She looked stunning before, during, and after the delivery! Talk about grace under pressure.

Best and thanks again, Urban Anthropologist. I really appreciate the time you spend to give us such great recaps.
 

Ale's comment about naming the baby came from a place of love and definitely not egotistical. Too bad Mad Dog only heard the tail end of what was said, which will now only add to his, "Alejandro has taken EVERYTHING from me and he must pay!" obsession.

Now he will feel exactly how Ale felt when he first came back and found that his wife and child were happily living with another man. Too bad, so sad ... NOT.
 

Anon@1257, you make a good point re JL. I fear that he is going to ruin the happiness of the birth with his sick obsession.

Why doesn't anyone see that JL is stalking this couple and why is no one doing anything about it? I guess no one is going to call the Chief of Police on his sick behavior.

Well, with Pedro and Graciela back in town, who knows what will happen next.

Fatima
 

Thanks to all for the clarification on the baby name. Not the best on picking everything up, and that puts a whole different slant on it. Apologies to Ale...he was staying in character on being calm and collected. Of course, tonight, I'm hoping that MDJL doesn't create a big scene in front of a mother who JUST gave birth and a small little newborn. Rosario and Dominga, not to mention the doc, should throw him out on his ear if he does that. Calmly being with the baby, get it, but operative is calm.

I wonder if he would go there with fighting for custody?

Daisynjay
 

Thanks so much for your fabulous recap and screen pics, UA. Now that Pedro has shown up, I hope he directs his attacks against men but I know that is futile. Looking forward to his real demise.
 

@Vivi: thanks for letting me know. I was kind of worried.
Romy
 

At this point, MDA is in the mindset where he will fight for custody, if only to add to his "they'll never be happy" venganza campaign. He is acting like a total jackass toward them and plans to continue with it forever and ever. After all, he's got nothing but time (and money, should he get fired for not doing his job) on his hands. I believe that even if they picked up and moved away he would follow them to haunt their lives. He's that far gone, nothing else matters to him. Scary.
 

They could name the baby Gaudencia.

Speaking of which, she told Manuela that she was going to make an offer on the house that EZ and Lottie couldn't resist. Do you think she'll blackmail EZ into giving her the house? (if so, Manuela should go with EZ and Lottie to their new home).

I liked Nadia's look, though I would have made the center piece smaller.

In defense of those of us who thought Ale really wanted to name the baby after himself, Ale has been an ass through most of this TN so it was completely logical to think that he would have wanted the baby named after him without a thought to how JL felt. I'm glad to see that's not the case and he's maturing.

Nanette
 

Victoria,

I agree with you completely about the hope that the baby is actually Alejandro's. That would be a great twist, and it would solve a lot of issues. Maybe the writers will go that route. I really can't stand Jose Luis, and his entire "Reniego a Dios" speech was so self-serving. He needs to show more respect to Padre Anselmo who is just trying to help him. He also needs to grow up and realizes Montse has moved on.

I thought Montse and Ale looked really cute painting their house, but I was surprised that they didn't hire it done (saving money?).

I also loved how cool Josefina was with the scorpion. I just admire her and hope she stays safe as she gets closer to Adolfo. I fear for her.

Great recap, Urban! Better than the actual show!


 

Here's another thought about the paternity of the baby.

Why can't we hold out hope for Alejandro being the father? The show has suspended medical reality before. Alejandro's miraculous recovery from a 7-year coma (no rehab, etc) is a perfect example.

Along those lines, I fully expect Nadia to regain her sight (maybe a hit on the head during a struggle with Pedro). Anything is possible.

Thanks again for the great discussion!



 


I'm getting sick and tired of all of Padre Anselmo's "pop-ins". Just leave people the "f" alone.

It beats me how he even gets around town on that bad leg of his. Maybe it's the riderless Tundra that chofers him throughout Aguazul since Ale has moved on to a different model.
 

Urban, Thanks for a wonderful recap.

I liked how things moved right a long last night.

Dim and Josefina are still not being honest. Hopefully, that will change. Sorry, Adolfo. Love you but you and Fina should not be in my opinion.

So, I am under the assumption that everyone who has seen (or in Nadia's case have been in close proximity to) a scorpion are in danger. My question is when will Maria see one? I think it is her turn. Also, Alejandro, of course, should see one soon too.

Looking forward to tonight's episode.

Caryn
 

Oh, and Nadia's head piece had me thinking that she looked like wonder woman in a wedding gown.

Caryn
 

Other novelas have defied medical reality in bigger ways than this could.

The doctor who told Monse she was three weeks pregnant could have been wrong and the baby could be premature (though she looked full-term).
 

I had said that I couldn't wait for Monday's recap and it's a doozy, great detail and pictures too. Thank you Urban for a GREAT-GREAT six hours of work. Others have mentioned it already but I have to chime in on your sweet shop and busy dentist comment. That was so funny. I usually don't laugh about things concerning dentists but I had to this time--that line was great.

By the way, because I joined the Robo group late, I never have been able to figure out who Macario and Dominga was. Are they related to one or two of the main characters?

Nadia's wedding attire has been discussed by a few so I will throw in my two cents. I liked both dresses, the first one that she tried on and the one that she wore but I didn't like the head band at all. I like head bands but not that one.

Pedro and Gaudy are both back, Fireworks tonight?
the gringo

 

Macario worked on the Almonte property before Alejandro was born. At some point he left and came back years later.

Dominga was the cook when Don Benjamin died. I don't know how long she had been there before that.
 

Gringo:
Macario and Dominga used to work for old Benjamin, then for Ale in the hacienda, then at the house in AguaAzul, and finally they now work for Montse at the pastry/coffee house. But they have always been treated like family.
 


By Alejandro and Monse, but not by Benjamin.
 

Thanks for the awesome recap! So well done and great pictures and commentary.

I still don't care at all about the three main characters because they are all terrible. I'm mostly just watching for Dimitrio and Josefina. I've even lost interest in Refoolio and Carlos de la Mota is usually one of my favorites.

It's too bad Poor Blind Nadia didn't fall in love with a psychiatrist; then he could have done a quickie course in cutting edge eye surgery and restored her eyesight. She looked very beautiful at her wedding. I liked the final dress much more than the try-on. Still not sure there is any more substance to her and Victor's relationship than sitting around telling each other they're in love and sniffing flowers, but whatev. At least they aren't violent ragemonsters like some people *ahemAlejandro*.

And of course Ale is self-centered enough to want to name JL's baby after himself. What a dolt. He's lucky JL hasn't already killed him; he really shouldn't push his luck.
 


I have to cut back on the number of screen shots. They take a lot of time and I have to prepare the premiere episode of MCET in the next few days. I can't believe I have only 4 more episodes of this one (and double duty for those 4 weeks) to go.

I hope the dialogue of MCET isn't going to be too difficult. My problem with comedies is the colloquialisms. I'm not concerned about the accents or the diction of the adult actors, but the younger kids might get on my last nerve.
 

Thanks UA, for yet another very thorough, detailed, and lavishly illustrated recap. One more minor translation detail is that María didn't say:

“I have already been to hell.”

but:

"I'm prepared to end up in Hell."

Although with what she has been through, one might agree that she has already been in Hell.

I liked Nadia's headband although like Nanette, I'd have opted for a smaller central medallion. I also liked her hair although perhaps that rather free tousled look was an unfortunate style for a blind bride since some might have presumed that she did it herself.

I cringe every time Adolfo consoles Dimitrio over his loss of Mónica's death. El Álecran is certainly an appropriate nickname.

Oxnard H.,

Over the weekend you said of Padre Anselmo:

"He is my favorite character on the soap."

so I was surprised that today you state:

"I'm getting sick and tired of all of Padre Anselmo's "pop-ins" Just leave people the "f" alone."

Carlos
 

Yes, Carlos, he is my favorite. Always has been.

But he has his faults, like being too much of a buttinski. (making up for the last 7-8 years I guess.) I did not like his visits to Maria and JL. Clergy should just minister to those who ask for it, IMHO.

I still would like to know how he gets around town on that bum wheel and whether or not he still has that casita (dead chickenless I hope) in the country.
 

One other minor thing, wouldn't you think that Alejandro would have enough respect for his friends to not leave his shirt half-way unbuttoned at their wedding? Perhaps a good look for a night at La Escondida, but not for a wedding. Well, I suppose it's an improvement over the tee-shirt he wore to Mónica's funeral.

Carlos
 

Carlos, I've been watching novelas for two decades and I am constantly astonished at how informally most of the male characters dress at funerals. The only time I see suits are when the family is either very wealthy or in the military, in which case it's full dress uniform.

Let me also add that some weddings suffer from this, too. The ones where the men are wearing white pants and shirts that look more like PJ's than anything appropriate for a wedding.
 

I come from a super casual family whose members routinely wear shorts to weddings, so the white pants and shirts look kinda dressy to me. Although I think they should at least make the shirt a nice embroidered guayabera or something, for the occasion.
 

I wonder if Montseratt's obstetrician's rather quick decision that there was not enough time to make it to the hospital, while standing in the front yard and without benefit of an examination, might not have been specifically a maneuver to avoid JL's awkward presence during the labor an delivery? Just imagine JL and Alejandro together in a labor room for 3 hrs. or so and then in the delivery room.

Julia,

I think that a nice guayabera almost qualifies as near-formal attire for many Latinos and I agree with you about the white outfits. I doubt that an unbuttoned shirt no matter how nice would ever be suitable for a wedding.

Carlos
 

Regarding Ale's attire at the wedding. Yes his shirt was not buttoned all the way, but hasn't he always worn them like that. Plus he was wearing a jacket, it wasn't just the shirt alone. I think Vic was the only one with a suit on because he was the groom. We also need to remember how hot it is where they are filming. And then it was raining so I'm sure it was humid. Imagine if all the men had worn suits, they'd be walking around with pit stains.
 

I don't think Ale knows that shirts have buttons on the top half.

For a tropical location, I think a guayabera looks much better than a suit. Suits just make me feel sorry for the guys wearing them. They must be sweltering.
 

Urban Anthropologist:

Thank you so much for this recap. It was positively loaded with screencaps. I have been out of town and need to watch Monday and Tuesday's episodes to catch up.

EJ




 





<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder