Monday, July 21, 2014

Lo Que la Vida Me Robó #178, Lunes 7/21/14: Suffer the Children



Chapter 178: Suffer the Children


Police Chief's Office: Refugio stayed behind in the hopes that he could get his old friend to talk to him alone.

Tell me, José Luis, what do you know about Pedro Medina?”

I cannot tell you,” he said. He emphasized each word to show he was out of patience.

Very well, as you wish. How sad it is that you are no longer the same person.”

He walked out, leaving his former friend to think about that. Mad Dog Álvarez looked like it didn't bother him.



Elementary School (Front): Monserrat arrived to pick Lauro up from school. He ran out to her, accompanied by Victoria. She turned around and saw that Nadia had come with Victor.

It's rare to see you together here here to get Victoria,” she said.

I can't leave Nadia alone for a single minute,” Victor said.

Why? Has something happened?”

You can't imagine it.”

Monserrat suggested to the children that they play together. She waited for them to get far enough away to not hear what she knew would be something very bad.

What happened, Nadia?”

Last night we found scorpions in our bed, Monserrat.”

She stared in shock.


Restaurant #1: Erik took Esmeralda out for an early dinner. She had chosen the location. Little Angel watched from his high chair. The musician flirted with her, telling her how she was so full of life. He finally showed the ad that allowed him to find her. He told her she was prettier than the photo.


Elementary School: Victor and Nadia continued explaining to Monserrat that they were all in danger.

I am so sure that it was Pedro. It was him!”

Nadia, that's impossible. That man is dead.”

Please be careful. Victor has been talking with Dimitrio and he thinks it's possible that Pedro faked his death.”

Ay, no, no, no. My God. For everyone's good, my friend, I hope you are mistaken. Know what? I'll get the children and we'll go.”

She hurried off to get the children. Victor looked after her with a frown.

Victor, my love, don't tell her of our suspicions about José Luis because I don't want to say anything until we're sure that Pedro is still alive.”

Victor looked as though he might not agree.


Restaurant #1: Erik continued to flirt with Esmeralda. He told her she was beautiful, passionate, and a whole list of other things. He said it wasn't important what other people think. He talked about how he enjoyed singing as much as she enjoyed dancing. She was definitely enjoying this.


Café: A sad-looking teenage boy looked in the window at the display. Dominga watched him for only a moment, then invited him inside.

Can I offer you something, young man? It looks to me like you're very hungry. And that bag must be getting heavy.”

More or less, ma'am,” he said.

Well, sit down at that table over there. I'll make you a latte and a ham empanada.”

Don't worry; I'll pay with work. I don't take advantage of people. Can I sweep or clean up?”

We can talk about that later. It's important you have something to eat now. Sit down.”

Well, I just got here. I came to Aguazul to look for someone.”

And whom are you looking for?”

Señor Macario Peralta Cabrera. I heard he works here.”

Yes. Yes, he's my husband but he's not here right now. Where do you know him from?”

I come from a long way; from the other side.”

Ah, so from a long time ago when he went to work abroad as a wetback in the fields. But you're too young to have worked with him.”

No; I've never seen him. That's why I'm looking for him. I really want to meet him.”

Why?”

Because he's my father.”

Dominga was stunned. So her old man had another secret.


Almonte House, Study: Dimitrio had come over to talk seriously about his latest theory.

I just spoke with Victor. Until now I didn't know what happened.”

They think it's Medina.”

It's normal they would live with that fear. But we know that's impossible.”

It's not impossible. Pedro would have he means to fake his death.”

I thought they found his body two years ago and it was identified.”

You know that narco traffickers have access to dead bodies. If that's true, someone's been helping him.”

Who are you talking about?”

Aside from finding a body with the identification and the scorpion pendant, the body in the morgue didn't have testicles.”

Alejandro registered confusion, which mildly amused Dimitrio.

What?”

Let's just say that Pedro had the little bag, but no marbles,” he said with a slight smirk.

Alejandro was momentarily amused, but didn't waver from the task at hand. “And you say that someone is helping him? Do you know who that person is?”

José Luis.”


Restaurant #2: Monserrat was sitting at a table with Lauro. Romina was in her buggy. Lauro was not enjoying his meal as much as he should have.

Love, eat your vegetables.”

But I want potatoes.”

If you eat your vegetables, I promise to buy you some.”

He started to dig into his veggies when an uninvited guest arrived. Mad Dog Álvarez came in and kissed both children. Romina didn't even look at him. She was more interested in her lollypop and toys.

What a coincidence, Monserrat. When I saw you here I didn't expect to see you with the children.” He sat down.

Excuse me, nobody invited you to sit at this table.”

I don't need an invitation. It's a public place.”

You can help me finish my vegetables,” said Lauro. “I'd like potatoes but my mom didn't get me any.”

What? Your mom denied you that? We'll correct that right now.” He looked around. “Waiter, can you please bring a big plate of french fries?”

Do you realize what you're doing, José Luis?”

Godparents are supposed to spoil children, aren't they?” He grinned slyly.

But not undermine a mother's authority in front of her children,” she said. Her cell phone began ringing and she looked at the screen. José Luis picked it up before she could.

What are you doing?”

Lauro stared in shock at his godfather and one-time stepfather. It was as though he were looking at a stranger.

Hello.”

José Luis?” Alejandro was not pleased at this surprise.

Hello, Alejandro, what a pleasure,” he said. He knew he was making Monserrat angry. “I see you were checking up on Monserrat when she's out eating with the children.”

What the hell are you doing with my wife? Why are you answering her cell phone?”

Oh, man, calm down. We're here for a little while sharing a pleasant little meal.”

Give me my phone, José Luis.” She held out her hand. “Give me my phone.”

Pass the phone to my wife,” Alejandro said.

Please, Alejandro, why should you be upset at me eating with your wife?”

Of course not! That is not true,” Monserrat said, almost loud enough to be heard through the restaurant.”

Look, she'll deny it but that's not important. It's normal for us to hang together. Romina is my daughter, Lauro is my godson,” He ruffled he boy's hair and the kid didn't like it. “We're a family. Besides,” he said as he looked at Monserrat, “you and I have always shared this woman.”

Monserrat stared with an iron jaw. “Give it to me.”

Hand the phone to my wife immediately.”

Oh, look; Monserrat wants to talk to you.”

She had stood up and was reaching for the cell. He moved back so it was out of her reach.

Give it to me.”

Sh, ts, ts,” he said, condescendingly as he moved his hand back, finally he handed it to her.

Alejandro?”

What is José Luis doing there?”

Don't worry. I was sitting here eating with the children and he came in uninvited.”

Listen carefully, Monserrat. You and the children are in danger. Don't say anything and get out of there immediately.”

Very well.” She ended the call and put the cell in her purse. “Lauro, let's go.”

At least you tried to help me with my vegetables,” he said as he got up.

Mad Dog Álvarez kissed the boy's head. “Until next time, Monserrat,” he said as she turned the baby buggy away and left with her children.

Since you invited yourself and you're alone, you can pay the bill,” she said as she left.

Of course.”


Café: Dominga ordered two more empanadas for the boy as she kept him talking.

Explain to me how Macario is your father.”

Well, he came to work on the other side, had his affairs, and I was born.”

And where is your mother?”

She just died a couple of months ago.”

I'm so sorry.”

I always thought I didn't have a father. But my mother told me about Señor Macario before she died. She said to look for him so I wouldn't be alone. That's why I'm here in Aguazul.”

When my old man came back from El Norte he never told me he had another woman there, let alone that he became a father.”

He didn't know I was born. When my mother was deported she didn't know yet she was pregnant. And when she returned after I was born she couldn't find Señor Macario anywhere.”

Why did she never come here to Aguazul?”

She was afraid to cross la frontera.” Chabelita returned with a plate. Dominga thanked her and looked at the boy.

You know, you look like your father. In more ways than one! Four empanadas and still not full!”

Oh, but then you offered them,” he said. The way he said it showed that he definitely was Macario's son.


Almonte House, Study: Dimitrio was getting worried.

That didn't sound good with my sister. What are we waiting for?

That SOB is following her everywhere. He bothers her.”

This is the first I'm hearing about it.”

But not the first time he's doing this. The worst of it is I can't call the police. He is the police!”

But I'm a Navy captain, so I could outrank him.”

Congratulations on that. I never would have thought of that. But what makes you suspect that José Luis is helping Pedro escape the authorities?”

Because when we got there to arrest Pedro we saw nobody. The door was open, there was a blood stain on the carpet – Medina's – , but no body. The only person there – before everyone else – was José Luis, saying that somebody must have helped him. He had to have help; he couldn't have gotten away alone.”

Do you think he was there long enough to do that?”

It's only suspicions; we don't know yet, but it looks that way.”

I don't think him incapable. When I got my wife out of his house, he swore revenge on us. He wants to take Romina away from us. He filed a motion to get full custody of her.”

Yes, but be calm. Judges always decide in favor of the mother.”

That's what I'm worried about. José Luis can make judges do what he wants them to. If he can't do this legally he'll find another way.”

I can initiate an investigation of José Luis. Leave it in my hands and I can find out what we need.”


Hospital Room: Carlota visited Gracie and explained that she could not return to the family home. Her husband had been adamant on that. Gracie would have to move out, like it or not. Gracie explained to her that she was dying. She told her that the brain tumor was payment for her sins.
She said she was asking God to end her suffering and reunite her with Fabiola. She was hoping that Monserrat would forgive her. Carlota was surprised at how calm she seemed.


Almonte House, Parlour: Alejandro paced, looking at his watch.

Try to calm down, son. Monserrat will be here shortly.”

Pedro Medina is on the loose. We are all in danger.”

I still don't believe this is happening. Are you sure this isn't a mistake?”

This man is very close, Mother. I told you what happened to Victor and Nadia in his house. He could come here to hurt us.”

Monserrat and the children arrived.

Are you alright, love?”

Yes, don't worry. What's going on?”

Rosario immediately took the children out of the room on the cover of Lauro changing out of his school uniform. Monserrat waited until they couldn't hear her.

Why are we in danger?”

Dimitrio was just here.”

Did he tell you about my mother?”

No, but we do need to talk about that. Your brother came to warn me. He has serious suspicions that Pedro Medina is alive.”

I know. I saw Victor and Nadia when I went to pick up the children. They told me everything that happened. Do you really think that man faked his death?”

Very likely. And he would need at least one person to help him save his life after he had been shot. And to hide him after that.”

Good God, Alejandro, what are you saying?”

That the two of them together are preparing revenge against us.”

Who are you talking about?”

José Luis.”

Monserrat shook her head. “It can't be,” she said. But the tone of her voice said she believed Alejandro.


Café: Macario was his usual cheerful self when he returned. The boy watched him enter and kiss Dominga.

Good day, honey. You have something for me?”

Do I have something for you, Macario Peralta Cabrera?” she asked with a note of sarcasm. “You and I have a chicken to consume. A real spicy one.”

What have I done now?”

You see that young man sitting there?”

Yes. Who is he?”

He got here at noon, asking for you.”

Why is he looking for me?”

To take care of him. His mother died.”

Macario laughed. “So what am I guilty of now?”

That boy is your son.”

Dominga, don't joke about stuff like that.”

It's no joke. He's your son.”

Macario looked again and stopped laughing.

Ay, my son? But how?”


Almonte House: Monserrat told Alejandro she was going to see her mother at the hospital. He said he would collect her mother's suitcases from the mansion, but asked her if he could go with her. He didn't want her exposing herself to any danger. She told him they shouldn't live their lives in fear. She kissed him and Lauro before leaving the house.


Café: Dominga and Macario sat at the table with the boy. She looked at the both of them.

Well, now you suddenly shut up?” she said.

What did you say your mother's name was?”

Zenaida Cruz.”

Ah, Zenaida!” Macario smiled at the memory.

So you remember this woman?” asked Dominga.

Yes, but it's been a long time.”

And you had a romance with her?”

Yes, but then she disappeared and I never heard anything about her.”

What happened was they deported her before she had time to find out she was pregnant. When I was born she was working in the corn harvest.”

And she told you I was your father?”

She told me just before she died. The only thing she knew was you were likely to be here in Aguazul and I should look for you. Does that not please you?”

What's your name, young man?”

Kevin Cruz Sanchez. I have something for you.” He took out a photo that was a couple of years old and handed it to him.

Ah, that's Zenaida.” Macario smiled. Dominga looked over his shoulder.

Oh, yes. Of course she was pretty.”

Yes. How did she die?”

Her heart.” Macario fell silent. Kevin took back the photo and put it in his bad. “Well, I just came to meet you. I'll go now.”

No, you can't go,” Dominga told him.

I'll pay you back with work,” he said. “Tell me what's best.”

Dominga took his backpack. “No, son, forget about that. Where are you going? I don't imagine you have anyplace to sleep.”

No, don't worry. I'm used to being alone.”

Don't even say that. You're coming home with us.” She looked at her husband. “He owes you more than that. Don't you, Macario?”

Well, yes,” he said, still taking this in.

No, I don't want to be a bother.”

No, no, no,” said Dominga. “Really. This is no bother. Right, Macario?”

Of course,” he said.

Okay, let's go,” she said, pulling him out of his seat. “Now hug your father,” she said to Kevin. He obeyed her. Macario still looked like he didn't quite believe this.


Medina Mansion: Josefina told Nadia of her engagement to Adolfo and their plans. Nadia was happy for her although before she had been hoping that her friend would get back together with her ex. Josefina explained that she was now in love with Adolfo. They talked about their near-brushes with death.


Bar: Dimitrio went to his one-time favorite hangout to meet Adolfo, who was waiting for him.

I got here as fast as I could when I got your call.”

Don't you know what happened at your sister's place?” Dimitrio asked.

What are you talking about?”

Your sister. Her house.”

Is she alright?”

Yes, she's alright. Considering that last night she found scorpions in her bed. Lots of them.” He studied Adolfo's expression. “What do you know about Medina?”

Dimitrio, you're in the Navy. What do you know?”

I'm investigating the possibility that he faked his death.”

If that's true, we're in danger.”

Yes. I've alerted the Navy to protect the family; all is well.”

Thanks.”

Your sister as well. And if you would like me to, I could get – “

No, I can take care of myself,” Adolfo said. “Besides, he hasn't contacted me. I broke off contact with him a long time ago.” Dimitrio studied him.

Well, you helped Nadia and Victor reunite. He'll want revenge for that.”

Really, don't worry about me. What's important is that our people are alright.”

The thing is that somebody's been helping him.”

Do you suspect someone? Who?”

I don't know. I'm investigating.”

No, really, Dimitrio. My sister is in the middle of this. I have to know.”

No, I can't tell you. Leave it to me.”

Adolfo wasn't sure what to say to that. He changed the subject.

Well, Josefina is at my sister's place. We're getting married.”

Seriously?”

Yes. I proposed and she accepted.”

Is that good or bad news?”

It's good!” Adolfo grinned. Dimitrio didn't know it but it was the first time he had grinned that way in years.

Hey, don't go. Let's drink to your happiness!” He poured two shots and they drank.
For a moment it was ten years ago.


Peralta House: Dominga led her new stepson into the house.
She told him he could sleep on the couch that night and they would work things out after that. Macario was getting nervous. Dominga showed Kevin where the bathroom was, explaining there were fresh towels and soap. When he went inside to take advantage of that she chided her husband for his attitude. He claimed he wasn't sure this boy was his son. Dominga was firm in that they weren't turning their backs on him. Besides, they didn't have much worth stealing.


Álvarez House: Mad Dog Álvarez opened the door and Monserrat entered.

I came to talk to you.”

Hm,” he said, closing the door. “So you came to my house. Maybe I won't let you leave.”

Cut out this idiotic crap. Tell me to my face that you aren't the person helping Pedro Medina.”

No, I'm not.”

For your own good you better not be. Because the Navy is investigating you and if you become a prime suspect forget about seeing my children.”

Don't threaten me. I am secure I can see my daughter every day. It's a court order and you have to respect it.”

A judge can change his mind when he finds out you're being investigated and that order you have will be dust.”

Don't be so sure. That demand is active and I will win. My daughter shouldn't be with a slut like you.”

You're full of insults today,” she said. “You know what? Your opinion of me doesn't matter because I know very well what sort of woman I am.”

Hm. It's not just my opinion, but half this town as well.”

She refused to be rattled.


Peralta House: Macario was convinced that Dominga was too hungry for motherhood. He didn't want to talk about Zenaida. Dominga was upset with him. He fooled around while she kept the candle in the window for him. Now he doubts that this boy is his son.
She told him that now was the time to take responsibility. They will make a home for his son.


Álvarez House: Mad Dog Álvarez wasn't about to give up.

All your life you've given people food for gossip,” he said. “If anyone saw you enter my house... well, does your husband know you came to see me?”

Nothing you try to separate me from Alejandro will work,” she said. “I can assure you of that.”

Look, Monserrat,” he said with a sneer. “I'm not interested in separating you from him. What's the matter with you? All I want is my daughter. Prepare yourself because I won't stop until I've taken her away from you.”

Listen to me well, José Luis. You would have to kill me to separate me from my daughter. I'm not afraid of you because you don't yet know me as an enemy. I am capable of doing anything for my children.”

That suits me fine, Monserrat. That suits me fine. Therefore, the war begins.” He opened the door so she could leave. He smiled to himself when he had closed it again.


Street: Adolfo's cell phone rang. He told Josefina he would be there in fifteen minutes. Just as he ended the call two goons appeared from different directions. They beat him, shoved him into a car, and drove off.


Almonte House, Master Bedroom: Monserrat came in to tell Alejandro what happened.

How is your mother?”

Alejandro, I lied. I didn't go to the hospital”

Monserrat...”

I'm sorry. But I had to confront him. To look him in the eye and find out if he could possibly be the one helping Pedro Medina.”

You didn't do this.”

Yes. That's why I didn't tell you anything. Because I didn't think you'd let me.”

Therefore, what do you think?”

As I expected he denied everything. But his eyes told me something else. He won't stop until he's taken my daughter away.”

I won't permit that, my love.”


Medina Mansion: Nadia told Victor that Adolfo was missing. He wasn't answering his cell phone. She was sure Pedro was behind it. Josefina arrived, saying that he wasn't at home.


Medina Prison House: Adolfo was tied to a chair and gagged. There was fresh blood around his mouth and he was unconscious. Until a bucket of water was poured over him.
He opened his eyes and looked up to see Pedro laughing in his face.


Church: Monserrat parked across the street and got out of the car with two flower arrangements. Dimitrio met her in front of the steps to help. The flowers were for Admiral Lauro and the tragic Fabiola. He asked about her family and she told him that Lauro was in school and the others were at home. She told him about her visit to Mad Dog. He told her she wasn't to do this again; he would take care of things. She explained their mother's diagnosis to him as they went inside.


Medina Prison House: Pedro pulled down the gag and taunted Adolfo.

You have a scar on your heart. It's the mark you deny. You thought you could change your life. Get out of this business. You know perfectly well that's impossible.”

I expect you will kill me.”

No, no, no, Adolfo. Kill you? No, that would be a gift. I have another solution for you.”

What are you going to do?”

To you? Nothing. But your dear Josefina, it's a matter of hours.”

Pedro, please...”

I've given my orders. I have my people watching her 24/7. They know every move she makes.”

Kill me instead.”

Now you're begging me.”

What do you want from me?”


Church Steps: Monserrat came out of the church and started down the steps. She stopped dead at the spray-painted insult, punctured tires, and cracked windows on the driver side of her car. Mad Dog Álvarez appeared a second later. “What a shame, Monserrat. What a shame. Now I wonder who could have done that?” he said.




Labels:


Comments:
Felicidades, Macario; es un varon!

Wasn't that a great casting job?
 

I'll be pulling double duty for the remainder of this series, which means I have three more episodes to cover. There will be fewer screen shots going forward.

BTW, I suspect that Maria actually messed up the car. She would be capable of that. I doubt that MDA would take that risk in broad daylight.
 

What an incredible recap, Urban!! Fantastic screen shots and FANTASTIC dialogue. The hours that went in to this were considerable and it was just perfect!

JL, such an honorable man; so honorable.

Fatima
 

Urban, so you think Maria messed up the car on JL's orders?

Fatima
Member, Crackpot Theorists™
 

Urban, almost forgot. Was that first screen shot from "The Third Man"? Was that the one and only Harry Lime in those shadows?

Fatima
 

Urban, you've outdone yourself with a fantastic array of screen shots along with the detailed dialog. (Not to mention doing double duty recapping!)

I hated the way MDA barged in on Montse's lunch with her children and snatched her cell phone away. I wanted to give him a serious whacking.

Esme's busker beau is a cutie, but they can take their free-spirited, creative selves to some other plaza for all I care.
Victor and PBN could escort them out of town. Wouldn't they avoid the plague of scorpions by leaving?

Fofito's luck ran out tonight. He may never make it to the altar with Fina, which is ok with me.

Macario's son does look fairly plausible in the role. Dominga is one of the few consistently kind and loving citizens of Aguazul. She might miss the early years, but she'll take care of this kid and enjoy feeding him.

 


I agree; I think Kevin will be staying with them. Macario looks very freaked out, as though he has never realized what a responsibility parenthood really is. There is also the possibility that once Kevin settles in with them Dominga will actually get pregnant again and it will take this time.

Macario should also not be concerned about whether Monse would mind any of this. She will be happy for them. Of course, his comment is actually an excuse to cover up the fact that he hasn't actually processed this in his own head. Understandable, though.

Who is minding the ranch?

I also don't think Maria would need orders from MDA to mess with Monserrat's car like that. She has already used the Z word about her. She is still obsessed with Alejandro and we can still expect her to make one last stand which does not have to be related to anything about Pedro.
 

Urban A,
Awesome recap. Thanks for all the hard work, and pulling double duty. Oh, and great screen shots too.

MDA is such a jerk! I think if I were Montse, I would have slapped him in the middle of that restaurant. How dare he go against Montse and order Laurito some 'papas a la Francesa', and then answer her phone. How RUDE! His smirky attitude is annoying. I want to wipe that grin off his face. And I found it very convenient that MDA so happened to be outside the church and next to Montse's vehicle when she came out. Did anyone else notice that she was not driving the Tundra. OMG, there is no way the producers could let the Tundra be ruined! Besides, I would imagine that Ale now drives the Tundra, thank goodness for that.

I think Angelito is a cutie pie! He really looks like he could be Refu's son.

I need sleep.

Off to bed...hasta pronto!
 

Thank you Urban for this illustrated recap, bravo! So good to be back to the Patio!
Loved NovelaMaven's recap from Saturday but was away this weekend and couldn't comment.

Yes, the kid playing Macario's son was so good I found out wondering if he was the actor's actual son.
 

Another excellent recap from you, Urban. I'm so impressed that you did such detailed recaps of two shows last night. Many thanks!

I only saw the end of this epi. That was bad enough. The only thing I will want to go back to watch is Mac's son.

I can't believe it's only now that Dim is hearing about JL's bad behavior. Why didn't M&A alert the Marina sooner about how unhinged the chief of police had become?
 

Urban: Your marvelous conversation translations and screen shots were incredible. What a sensational summary.

I'm echoing my friend Fatima in that the care and effort this took is commendable and appreciated.

"Dominga was stunned. So her old man had another secret" and "Suffer the Children" were perfect.

It was bittersweet seeing the former friends (Dim and Adolfo) bond, if only for a moment. "For a moment it was ten years ago". Indeed.

"Macario was convinced that Dominga was too hungry for motherhood". Macario is an idiot. Period.

However, Emarie, you are so right! Kevin is a dead ringer for Macario. I also wondered if he is his son.

UA, yes, Monse will be thrilled to know Macario has a son and of course will be happy he is there.

Whoever did defile the car did a fairly good job rather quickly?.I am not sure it wasn't JL. He is doing nothing to hide his abusive actions in public. He clearly not only thinks he is above the law but that he IS the law.

LaPaloma: "Esme's busker beau is a cutie, but they can take their free-spirited, creative selves to some other plaza for all I care" made me laugh. Although he is a charmer, I want her back with Refugio but nothing here seems certain.

Of course I was beside myself that Adolfo has been captured. Worried even more though that Fina will be hurt.

I had held out hope JL wasn't helping Pedro but I don't think it could be anyone else at this point. And JL's behavior is reprehensible. What a horrid man and character he has morphed into.

I think it will be up to Dimitrio to save Fina. That may be her only hope.

Thank you UA! Wonderful.

Diana
 

UA thank you so much for the wonderful recap and for the double duty! I plan to watch Mi Corazon later today and will read that one as well. I've never made it past the first few episodes of a comedy, but I do like both Silvia Navarro and Jorge Salinas so I'm gonna give it a try.

Poor Fofito. I know he's getting what's coming to him, but somehow he was so likeable anyway. I'm sad to see him go. I agree that (and I sure HOPE that) Dim will save Fina. Is it possible that Peddy will kill Adolfo without anyone ever finding out all of the scummy things he did?

I loved how Graciela stays true to her rotten self even in her dying days. Am I wrong or did I hear her respond to Tia C's "How are you?" with "I was doing much better but then you showed up." That woman is just beyond belief! Also, how did such an excellent mother forget to tell her nina d'oro and her bastard son-in-law that Peddy was alive, kicking and surely coming for them? As MDA would say "Hmmmmmmmm?"

I don't know who did Montse's car, and I'm sure that MDA is enjoying the sight of it but I still can't believe it was him. Maybe it was Maria-- it is highly suspicious that we know nothing of her goings on these days. If it was her, I sure wish she would help out her pal Fofo right now instead of vandalizing cars. And Aunty Ann that was so funny about them never letting the Tundra get smashed like that!

Hasta luego!
Rebecca
 

Graciela didn't tell Monse about Pedro because she couldn't care less if he killed Alejandro. However, she may not realize that Pedro's real MO is to first hurt the people his victims value.

I could come up with ideas for that so horrible that Sergio Sendel would be afraid to go out in public after the episodes air, but I won't put them here.

As for Maria, she helps nobody. If she is willing to get Alejandro killed because she can't have him, she couldn't give a flying damn about Adolfo despite what he's done for her.
 

UA, thank you for being so faithful week after week after week to recap this marathon of a novela. I love to read and your recaps are always like reading a short story, including all sorts of things that are unspoken or unseen, but still important to the story! I think you have been a recapper on every single novela I have watched. Do you know if you will be doing "Mi Corazon es Tuyo"?

I think that is the next one I plan to watch, unless there is another on the horizon that is equally good or better. It's going to be a relief to see Jorge Salinas playing a man his age for a change.

Does anyone know the name of the kid playing Macario's son? He seems so familiar. I'm sure I've seen him in another novela.

This busker Erik....I don't know what's going on with him and Esme, but I don't like it.

Rebecca, you did catch it right. Gracie/Gaudie did make a snarky remark to Carlota. I got a big laugh out of that one.

I have no clue how this novela is going to end. The writers have done a good job of avoiding many of the tried and true novela cliches.
 

I am in awe UA. Two stellar recaps in one night. Don't know how you did it, but we are forever grateful. This was a gem, as always.

I pretty much hate to even watch MDJL anymore. I would say good work on the actor's part, but the character is just such a pain in the a** to deal with now. That restaurant scene was despicable. Putting children in the middle of your games? Pond scum. As for the car, I don't think he did it either. He's much more sly and menacing and he does have a certain reputation to uphold as the police chief, so he couldn't be caught doing that.

Maria--yeah. She has my vote. Honestly, with that woman, it's a been there done this how many times? I'm sure we will see her brandishing a gun soon. It's what she does. Just no pole dancing, please.

Dim seems to be our voice of reason now. But the more he investigates, the more Adolfo's true identity will come out. That drink may have been the last positive moment they will ever have. Anyone want to bet he's the one to save Fina who I'm sure will have to be pulled into some sort of danger in the Ultimates? Still pissed at Adolfo for pulling her into his shady existence.

Well, I was sure we would have an adult child gracing Mac and Dominga's domicile, I just didn't think it would be a long lost son. Looks like a sweet kid, thankfully. Maybe Mac will grow up himself if he has to take on this responsibility. Heartbreaking to think the boy was on his own like that. I'm going to go with the story is true - seems too late in the show to have a child be pulling a fast one on them.

I'm starting to be glad we are winding down. This story line is getting depressing and aggravating. I say wrap it up.

Daisynjay
 

Thanks, Anita. I did the Estreno for MCET and it's up for your pleasure. You will get a double-header of my writing until this series ends; I will have only 3 more episodes to cover.

IMDB didn't list that boy's name, so I can't answer your question about him. He was a perfect choice. I love how his mannerisms and attempts at being offhand are identical to Macario's.
 


"I have no clue how this novela is going to end. The writers have done a good job of avoiding many of the tried and true novela cliches"

Just saw your comment Rebecca. If what I saw online is true, the producers don't know either. I've heard they filmed multiple endings and don't know which one to use. REALLY???

Daisynjay
 

Nothing new about that.

Teresa had three possible endings. We got the same one shown in Mexico, but the alternates were available online.

I really hate what "multiple endings" could imply here.
 

Wonderful recap, Urban! I especially enjoyed your description of Dimitrio and Adolfo back in the cantina together -- maybe for the last time -- culminating in this simple but evocative line:

"For a moment it was ten years ago."

So I guess this is about when the dominoes start to fall.
 

They also filmed three endings for this tn. I just read it the other day.
 

Thank you, Urban, for another outstanding recap.

I agree Macario's son was a great casting job.

Esme and Erik need to go bye bye. I am so tired of her character. As a matter of fact, I would be happy if all of the secondary plots were minimized and quickly resolved at this point.

Looks like Pedro is not lacking in lackeys or minions.

Jarifa

 


They have used stunt doubles for the Tundra at least twice now, when Robledo got blown up and again last night.

Whoever trashed that SUV last night did Monse a favor.What a piece of crap!

I learned a new word, "chamaco".

When that boy kept saying that he came from el otro lado, I thought at first that he was talking about the spirit world, not the USA.
 

Oxnard Huero,

"When that boy kept saying that he came from el otro lado, I thought at first that he was talking about the spirit world, not the USA."

hahaha!

I've heard 'chamaco' (boy, kid) in telenovelas but would never use it in real life because I'd be afraid of blurting out 'chamuco' (devil), also a favorite in telenovelas.

Speaking of vocab, I learned a couple of new expressions that lots of you folks are probably already familiar with:

trabajar de bracero: to work as a day laborer, especially as a farm worker

la pizca: the picking, as in harvesting apples, oranges, etc.
 

I don't care if the mad dog (he doesn't deserve upper case) gets redeemed in the very next episode ... he is dead to me, I tell you, DEAD! What a colossal ass! He really hates Montse now, probably even more than Alejandro. Jerk!
 

This was a wonderful recap, Urban! Thanks for all the hard work, especially since you have started MCET (does anyone know if Hulu will have the episodes for the new show?)

My thought for the episode was how dumb Montse was to go to MDJL and tell him about the Marina investigation. Now he'll be on guard because he knows about the surveillance. Stupid! Not only that, he COULD have trapped her in the room again. He did it before. She really needs to keep her bodyguards with her because of JL and Pedro. If someone told me that a psycho, murderous, vengeful drug lord was on the loose and going to get me, I would have 5 body guards with me at all times! What is Montse trying to prove by disregarding her safety? (and that of her children?) For that matter, Adolfo is also pretty stupid not to have people with him. He got ambushed because he's an idiot.

I love Dominga. She brings sunshine into this dark show. But the story line is also filler. If the series hadn't been extended, they probably wouldn't have dealt so much with D & M. Love the actor who plays the son!

Three different endings? Who gets to decide which one to use? Way back in the day, viewers voted on the novio for "Rebecca."

Thanks again, Urban!
 

Dear Urban Anthropologist,

What a magnificent recap! It was such a pleasure to read with all the great dialogue and screen caps. I am impressed--and even more so considering I also read your SECOND equally amazing recap of Mi Corazan Es Tuyo. Thank you so much for all your hard work every week and also your enthusiasm for and insight about all the shows, too.

I think I will probably switch to watching Mi Corazon Es Tuyo as my only TN after Lo Que is over. I can't say Hasta El Fin Del Mundo looked that interesting to me. It seemed kind of like Amores Verdaderos but with chocolate and drivers instead of fashion models and bodyguards. But then La Gata seemed like Corazon Indomable but with a cat and in a trash heap instead of with a monkey and in a jungle.

What happened to La Gata anyway?

Thanks again, Urban Anthropologist!
Best to you and everyone,
Julia R.
 


I remember Rebeca well. It was really almost no contest; the winner had to be one of the two young suitors. I don't think they shot 3 endings, though. I think the writers got lazy when the viewers fell in love with the "Swept Away" relationship between Princesa and Martin, so they prejudiced the remaining script in Eduardo's favor.

The problem with 3 different endings is that you probably need to do three different final weeks in order for any alternate ending to make any sense. Are they going to spend enough money to do that?
 

UA, thanks so much for all the time you devoted to this recap in addition to doing the first episode of Mi Corazon. Wow..thanks for .the time and talent that you have devoted to Caraycaray.

With three different endings , I guess anything is possible. I am curious about how people wish this show would end. I am weary of all the stress and suffering. I need it to end. Real life is stressful enough, so I do not need to watch a frustrating novela.

I think that JL is behind the defacing of Mony's car. If he did not do it himself, he paid someone . He was just too pleased about it not to be responsible in some way. I hate him at this point and want him gone. I am sick of his smirk . This actor knows exactly how to portray a person who is easy to despise. Dealing with someone who just wants to make someone's life miserable us exhausiting. .

It was awful watching Fofo helpless and in danger . I hate Pedro and want him gone forever.

Gracie was a miserable soul in life and seems destined to die without a bit of remorse for the disdain that she has shown to others.

Lik the miserable groundhog that hides all day and then comes out at night to eat all my zucchini blossoms, Maria seems to have gone underground. Will she perish some how, go to jail, or end up in a mental hospital in her blonde wig ?

I want Tia to have some happiness , but I cannot see how her marriage to that little weasel can survive and Roby is long gone.

I know how Amor Real need and wonder of there will be any similarities.
 

Urban,
Thanks for your input about "Rebecca." The producers actually did film 3 different endings because they were aired when the cast went on "Cristina" to talk about the end of the show. I remember thinking how glad I was Rebecca didn't end up with the old guy after watching that possible final scene. :-) They never had much chemistry, so I always thought it was weird he was a candidate for her affections. And yes, I really liked when Princesa and Martin got together. They sizzled!

3 different endings for LQLVMR seems excessive, though. I guess they don't want leaks.
 

Great job, UA! The dialogue between Es and Eric was really hard to understand with all the courtyard noise so your recap was really helpful!

I know it's TN land but I don't understand why Montsy doesn't ask Ezekiel to bust JL!? Isn't he JL's boss? And her uncle?! How can the police chief be so corrupt.

I thought Macario's reaction to his ADORABLE son was a little out of character and very disappointing. I loved that Dominga made up for it by being so gracious and generous, before she even knew the connection. Step up, Macario, you'd take a bullet for half the characters on this show, where's the loyalty to your own flesh and blood?

Daisynjay, ITA, I have loved this TN but I, too, am ready for a wrap. I don't think I've ever watched a more emotionally charged, stressful TN!

Thanks UA and all the recappers. You are so helpful to us spanish learners!
 

I also saw AR and there is at least one element of that story I don't want to see repeated here.

What is so different now is that Pedro would not be above hurting anyone Alejandro cares about. I am guessing he will try to force Alejandro to die for them as he did Joaquin. I wonder whether Alejandro has even thought of that.

Then again, he still doesn't know why Pedro has targeted him. Greed would not be sufficient motive. The accident that turned him into a capon doesn't identify him as the victim and we don't know whether it said anything about the victim's injuries. The only person who could tell him the rest of the story is EZ and we don't know whether he would.
 

UA..I think that I know exactly what you are referring to. In the beginning of this novela, there were some similarities to AR, but the storyline has really swung far away from AR . The actor playing the Pedro role was not nearly as bad in AR and did not have a personal vendetta against the galan. He was corrupt and greedy and just wanted his lands and inheritance. The revolution played a big part in AR. Also, the galan's rival was mostly honorable and tragic except towards the end when he captured the leading lady and tried to rape her. The two were on opposite sides of the revolution. JL is much darker, crazier, and more sinister. I have no idea how this will end. I just want the good folks to have happy endings and the villains to reap what they have sown and have a taste of their own medicine.
 

Susanlynn, "With three different endings , I guess anything is possible. I am curious about how people wish this show would end. I am weary of all the stress and suffering. I need it to end. Real life is stressful enough, so I do not need to watch a frustrating novela.

I think that JL is behind the defacing of Mony's car. If he did not do it himself, he paid someone . He was just too pleased about it not to be responsible in some way. I hate him at this point and want him gone. I am sick of his smirk . This actor knows exactly how to portray a person who is easy to despise. Dealing with someone who just wants to make someone's life miserable us exhausiting."


I cannot agree with you enough on ALL your points, Susanlynn. I am sick of the JL character. I do think he was responsible either directly or indirectly for the car damage simply because he enjoyed it too much. As I find myself dealing with some people who just enjoy making life miserable for others, this TN is now getting on my nerves.

It's time for a wrap. I am still amazed I have made it this far as the beginning of the story was almost too much to bear.

Excellent points, Susanlynn and thank you for voicing your thoughts.

Fatima,
Member, Crackpot Theorists™

 

From what I gathered on the endings, is that because of the World Cup and the show being extended, they did have to start adding in more plot line, etc. At least that's there story and they are sticking to it. So they wanted to gage how people were reacting to the story and additional scenes before picking which ending they will use. I'm not a fan of multiple endings unless the show is truly written in a way that sets the audience up to know THEY will have the choice. Otherwise I just feel like the writers really don't know what they are doing or have an idea of end game. Which means Ultimates start getting messy and unresolved so anything is possible when the plug is pulled. Bummer....:(

Daisynjay
 

Urban, thanks for your awesome recap and screen caps! And you are doing MCET as well? Wow is all I can say! I haven't had a chance to check that one out yet, but I figure, like Julia R., I will also switch to that one once LQLVMR is finally over. Perdo Fernandez just doesn't do it for me, and I do love Jorge Salinas and Silva Navarro.

By the way, thanks for letting us know what Dim told Ale: "“Let's just say that Pedro had the little bag, but no marbles,” he said with a slight smirk." It was muted for me so I couldn't figure out what he said. I guess everyone is starting to find out about Pedro's little problem. I too wonder if Ale will find out that is the reason Pedro hates him so much.

Aunty Ann, everything you said about JL, I second! I can't stand him anymore. He is stalking Montse and no one can do anything about it? Like many of you, I too think that he had something to do with Montse's car, even if not directly. That smirk said it all!

I also enjoyed the intro of Mac's son. Whoever predicted they would get a teenager was so right! I too found he had an uncanny resemblance to Mac. And I'm sure Mac will warm up to him soon. He was just taken by the surprise, and also how willing Dominga was to take him in, when she had said earlier she wanted an infant instead of an older child. She has a good heart! I commend her for how well she took it all.:-)

As for Gracie, still waiting to see if Novela Maven will toast for me at The Crackpot Theorist Table, for theorizing that she is faking her illness, but also ready to make my "cara de yo no fui" just in case it isn't so. LOL!

Ready and on the edge of my seat to find out what happens to our darling Fofito tonight.

Maricruz
 

Another Wow recap, UA. What a gift you are to us, taking on double duty with two different shows, the pictures, the dialogue, the poignant headings...

'Suffer the children"
and
'For a moment it was ten years ago'.

That was especially sad, knowing what happened next to Alonso. Two young and shiftless rakes up to no good. And now, a very painful payoff for Alonso. And Dimitrio has already suffered two losses...Josefina and Monica.

I'm with everybody else who's feeling impatient for this dark and dreary story to wrap up. I'm looking forward to watching this episode though, if only to see Macario's son. My hope for Dominga is that the joy of having a child in the home, will produce the miracle of a full-term pregnancy as well. But however that goes, we need some positive notes here!

Thanks UA. You put so much into your recaps...and you are deeply appreciated.
 

Urban - Great recap and pics. Thanks.

Esme, I know Refugio almost did you wrong but it's time to kiss and make up, cause you have much more chemistry with your hub than you do with this new guy. I was more interested in the little conversation Ángel was having with himself at the diner than Esme and new guy.

Seeing Monse's car mucked up like that was a shock. JL, that is the vehicle that your daughter rides in. If you think Monse the slut is getting what she deserves, how about the effect it could have on the daughter of the slut?

The highlight for me was Mac and son staring at each other across the table. ITA this was great casting.
 

Judyb..One of my best friends could not get pregnant and adopted a baby boy. Then, two years later, she got pregnant and had a baby girl. I remember her telling me that her hub was not so pleased...he wanted a boat. Guess what....they got divorced when the kids were teens. No surprise, right ? Dominga is a good and loving soul who seems to know that there are many people who need her love and she is generous with it.
 

Urban---When I got up this morning, I was anxious to read about what had transpired the night before. I must say that what I read and saw in screen pictures was much more than I had expected. Urban, you went way beyond and you are doing the new show too. A really--really BIG thank you for such SUPER and thoughtful work.

Daisynjay used the word despicable
pertaining to JL in the restaurant scene last night. I would like to add disgusting to that along with any other descriptive word that can be properly inserted. I couldn't wait for that scene to end. It has
been mentioned that Saint Montse should have slapped him right there in front of everyone. I agree.

I came into this novela late in the story but like others I have had enough of JL's terrible smirk. I can't wait for someone to knock it right off of him.

Somewhere in the show last night it was said that this should be reported to the police---but JL is the police. OMG! How many towns have corrupt police departments which leave the people no where to go?

Since Montserrat agreed to take in her ailing mother after she had treated her so badly and even
had been sold by said mother should be given the title of Saint. So for me it's Saint Montse.

Daisynjay---Will Maria go to jail in a blonde wig? That's good, I liked that one.

Maybe we will find out who destroyed the car tonight.

Will Fina be taken out? The next to die?

I agree that last night was the last night of friendship for Adolfo and Dimitrio.
the gringo




 

This episode really made me mad! Good recap. I hope Maria spray painted her car and not JL. DImi should put a restraining order on him.
Velen
 

Thank you Urban Anthropologist for this recap. Your screen shots are amazing—I felt like I was watching the episode.

I agree with all who express their concerns about shooting a show with three endings. At the very least the story has to be written with a looser attachment to plot and this story was unraveling anyway.

Urban, I hope you enjoy recapping the comedy. Other than "Gancho" I have never successfully completed a Mexican comedy TN.

I'll take a look because of Jorge and Silvia but I have my doubts.

Thanks again, Urban. You do such nice work.

Elna June
 

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to miss my new voice when this one is over, so I hope Televisa decides to do another mystery in the not too distant future.

JL's about-face almost makes no sense. What happened to the united front that he and Alejandro displayed toward Pedro at Monica's funeral? What happened during the one-year time jump to change that?
 

I think it's sweet how Dominga seems to have a very positive view of Kevin. She has welcomed him into her home and is willing to accept him as her own. It is a beautiful sight to see a woman realize she does not need to physically give birth to a baby to become a Mother. I say this as an adopted child myself. My respect for Dominga has gone way up!

Nice recap. I appreciate you taking your time to add all the wonderful pictures as well. I am impressed with all the hard work that goes into these blogs.
 


Oh no, less screen shots from here on out? Oh Urban, your screen shots really make a difference for your recaps. I love them; and they convey so much the theme you are translating. Your recap was detailed and the translation remarkably accurate. Thank you for all the hard work you put into this episode which was a little bit boring. My favorite line of yours was:
“You and I have a chicken to consume. A real spicy one.”

I agree the actor playing Mac's son looks exactly like him; what a great casting job.

Thanks again.












 

I wonder how the situation between Esme and Refugio will turn out... Adding this new chap into this mix kind of makes me wonder if the writers are trying to get the audience to accept a new man in Esme's life? When examining the dialogue between them, it is clear to see that he is accepting of her lifestyle, which is the opposite of Refugio. I will be sad if Refugio and Esme split up. :(
 


Vivi in DC

Where did you read that they had filmed three different endings to the show.

I'm trying to find some good novela information on the web and would love to know where you read about the different endings. The Univision and Televisa sites usually don't mention such tidbits.

I hated when they did that for Teresa; even though I was in agreement with the final one they selected. The problem was that I couldn't get the three other endings out of my mind.
 

I have also been wondering whether Gracie actually does have a brain tumor. Not that she doesn't deserve something very serious to happen to her, but this less-than-a-year-to-live prognosis just makes it too easy for her to come up with an excuse to try to get close to her children again.

Monse needs to lay down the law.
 

Victoria- I wouldn't recommend it because it tells you what the three endings are. But if you must, look up the July 12th article on Robo on latinpost.com.
 


Tracy H:

I just noticed that HuluPlus has downloaded the first episode (Monday night's gran estreno episode) on its website.

Hope this helps. Don't whethere they have it on Hulu. I found the price difference between Hulu and HuluPlus to worth it.
 

The three endings news was refuted by the show. They claim it's not true.
 

Thanks UA,

I already acknowledged my admiration for you in my comment for your inaugural recap of MCET. I stand in awe of your ability to provide us with 2 stellar recaps without sacrificing an ounce of quality or completeness. Once again, well done.

Well, Adolfo is certainly reaping what he has sowed. How careless of him and now he has put Josefina at extreme risk. I'm hoping that our newly minted capitán will come to the rescue.

As for the SUV vandalism, I'm not surprised to see the Patio fingers pointing at María, but I just can't picture her in a hardware store purchasing cans of spray paint. Such immature spitefulness seems more suited to JL... I'd expect something a little more straightforward (not to mention deadly) from our María.

How gallant of Macario:

"It wasn't anything important. We had a few drinks, we spent the night together, how was I going to know that we'd make a baby?"

What. A. Jerk.

And he showed no interest or affection. He even asked Kevin how long he intended to stay.

What. A. Jerk.

Calling Padre Anselmo!

Carlos
 

Hi Everyone, wonderful recap as always. I just wanted to add my thoughts about the alternate endings. According to the Televisa website they'll be 2: the one that will air live and another will be available on their website for their subscribers. Now, I don't like the idea of 2 endings, in fact I hate it but it seems that in Mexico JL supporters want to see him compensate for all of his sufferings, so it could be an alternate ending favoring JL😢

 





<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder