Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Antes muerta que Lichita 1/18: Bea drops a bomb. Draco tells a joke. Mateo makes a call. Nacho is an ass. Valeria goes to work. Brisa learns to tweet. Alicia gets a kiss and doesn't go to Los Angeles.

What a jam-packed episode! It was so long I've used up all the time I have and refuse to proofread this. Also, I was handicapped by my profound lack of interest in the organizational hierarchy of Ikonika. There are layers of bosses but I just can't bring myself to care.

Augusto to Beto: "Somebody has offered to invest a lot in Ikonika USA, I should take advantage of it and move quickly." "I can't be Pres of API and also Director General and Elias is uninterested and has disappeared." "Ask anybody, have Nestor help."

Mateo calls Roberto, who bolts from Augusto's office but not before Augusto hears the name. Mateo is being held captive by his mother, who angrily reminds him: she only agreed to let him hear his father's voice. They are living in the house of "your new dad who decides what does and doesn't happen" so no seeing Roberto.


Beto lies to Aug, saying the phone call was from "Nemesia Mateos" and was about API biz, but I don't think Aug believed it. He puts Roberto to work discouraging Bea from the divorce, which would be deleterious to the family image.

Elsa invites Valeria to work at the cafe and is accepted. Beto offers her the use of his old apartment (I thought Gumaro was still living there?) and she accepts that too. She is quite cheerful.

Fatima refuses to apologize to Augusto for letting the truth out of the bag - "I won't allow you to tarnish Alicia's name further." She offers to quit but he points out rightly that she (almost alone) is good at her job and does it so he forgives her. Then, an important "AS YOU KNOW" moment - we discover that back in the day Fatima was best buds with Augusto's mother, who was a secretary of the Toledo y Mondragon family! So Augusto is a bastard and that must be why the brother Rafael got the whole inheritance. Aug narrows his eyes to slits and says "you don't have to bring up that old story." She says "the secret is safe with me" which makes me whisper, "watch your back, sister."

A guy in a Naugahyde jacket, maybe a cop, tells Beto the call from Mateo was from nearby. "I've been after Sheila for various crimes over the years but have never nabbed her. When you came to me about this abduction and also had juicy stuff about Augusto, how nice!" Beto feels used. The guy says, if you dig up more dirt on Augusto I'll try harder to find Mateo.

Augusto, on his knees crooning to Bea's private parts: Bea honey I beg you, give me another chance. She is fainting with desire but says "I can't be under this roof with you." He says he'll leave but doesn't go any further than the guest room.

At a garage, Gumaro tells a joke to Draco. Draco!? It goes like this: a little chicken goes to the White House and knocks on the big door and a big guy with a "cara de tabla" "Like you, Draco, no offense" [table face - deadpan expression, often also unscrupulous or uncaring] - asks what the pollito wants. "Is the President home?" "No he's in Ohio." The spanish subtitles say he is "enojaio" (angry) and the chicken says, "With me?!" Draco is silent and then says, "I know a better one." Draco!? One chicken says to the other, "who is the sexiest chicken?" "Po' yo." (me) Gumaro gives a manic laugh, says "you're really a good joke teller," and then Draco's "domador" (boss) shows up. "We'll tell more jokes later." Beto joins Gum in the garage, whispering he's letting Valeria live at the show apartment. I guess Gumaro's been given the task of warming Draco up and despite all odds is perhaps succeeding.

Santiago shows up at Alicia's goodbye party to ask her to head the publicity campaign for Peoples' Cafe (she accepts of course). He had something else to say but just as he and Alicia were clasping hands, sealing that business deal, Roberto shows up and gets googly eyes at the sight. Santi politely says, "Oh, colleagues who meet outside of work. It must mean you get along." Both pull ugly faces and say, not really. Santi says he'll see Alicia in Los Angeles, "more often than you think," and gives her a sweet lingering cheek-kiss. He and Roberto have one of those bonecrushing angry rival handshakes. Alicia asks Beto, who invited you to the party? He says he was just passing. She passes by him to kiss Fatima.

Time to close up! Magos and her friends beg to stay, Elsa (ever the softy) says ok. One of Mags' delinquents goes out to get beer. They are expecting a band a couple hours later!

Dafne communes with her online community, in her tent, about feeling alienated and invisible. She instantly gets 20 "likes."

Alicia says goodbye to her family Monday morning and is about to leave for Los Angeles when Fatima calls and says Bea is convening an urgent meeting.

On stage, Bea says this is the meeting that was interrupted by unfortunate revelations last time. Well, "I own 50% of the company and am going to be keeping an eye on things. Also, there's a new branch of Ikonika in the US and I own half of that too. Alex will be in charge there and my brother the lawyer will be keeping an eye on it. (Maybe the brother's the one who made the investment we heard about at the top of the hour.) Also, we are getting divorced."

Luciana struts in throwing her weight around as Daddy's girl and asking what amazing powerful role she will now play. Later, Chuchette and Nestor, resisting her imperious ways, remind her she's a bastard; it doesn't slow her down.

One of the upshots is that Alicia is staying in D.F.

This same morning, at El Cafecito, Valeria is learning the drill. She spots an empty beer bottle in a cupboard - Magos sneaks it into a trash bag and hopes it's forgotten. Nacho opens the mail and discovers that for a few months Alicia and Elsa have been paying the mortgage. He gets all indignant "I'm the man of the house." He says, "I feel -- I feel" and Valeria helpfully suggests: "Emasculated?" He quickly says it doesn't go that far. Magos asks what the word means and Valeria happily starts explaining. Dramatically, instead of just saying thank you Nacho rips off his apron and leaves. Blegh!!!

Well, infantile behavior is rewarded: his insurance money has come through. He waltzes back to the cafe joyfully. Luchita says "you should invest it so it grows." He says he already has an idea. Uh-oh is what I say to that.

Augusto is very angry: Bea humiliated him and she'll have to pay. If he can't seduce her I guess he'll murder her.

Beto and Augusto each separately tell Luci she's not really interested in the ad business, she could go home and play with her bonsai and start a family. She goes out in the greenhouse and calls for Gumaro. They do googly eyes. "Gumaro, do you think I'm a useless fool?" "Everybody has secret talents, you just have to find yours." "Oh, philosophy from Nacolandia." Let the flirting commence.

Beto oddly suggests to Augusto: "Since you are now going to be tainted by divorce, let's show those old API codgers there is distance between us, not like before. You should still support me secretly."

Braulio resists being given a Brisa makeover. She says she likes him just the way he is and will even learn how to use a computer to share in his interests. He opens a twitter account for her. "Why should I tweet when I have no followers?" "You have one, me." "But I could just tell you!"

Luciana first wants them to turn down the Peoples' Cafe account and then wants to be in charge of it. She tells Beto "You must agree with me even when I'm wrong."

Alex is angry at Bea for announcing he's moving to L.A. without even asking him first. "But you're the only person I trust, besides my confessor of course." Alex: I'll have to ask Kenny about it, we're thinking of getting married. Bea of course says that's a sin and that she thought his homosexuality was just a fad, that he'd get over it and marry a nice woman. He says, no, I'm gay and I love Kenny.

Santi shows up at Ikonika after the meeting, says he's glad Alicia's staying in town, gives her another kiss, says he wants her for his campaign but also wants her wants her. She says, I've been hurt, let's just keep it professional. Still, that night she first thinks about whether it would be better for her to leave the nest and live on her own and then googles Santi. Elsa sees and says "that's some sexy guy." When Alicia finds an online photo of Santi arm in arm with a sexy hotel heiress, she notices she feels jealous and admits to herself that she likes him a lot.

In their conjugal bedroom, Bea is sighing when Augusto suddenly appears "to get clean pajamas." Soon he is clutching at her and even backs her up against the door with his butt and offers a second honeymoon. I was so admiring of her self control, she says "no kisses, no caresses, go live in one of our many other properties." Even though she worries that the impending divorce is making Dafne even worse, she holds steady.

Labels:


Comments:
Wow! Thank you ,Jane, for the fantastic recap. I loved it especially about Fátima now having to watch her back and "Naugahyde jacket".

Best parts for me: 1/ finding out about Augusto's questionable parentage.2/ Beatriz not giving in to Augusto.

Worst parts:1/Magos not getting caught and being able to finesse away the beer bottle.

Cannot wait for tonight!
 

So good Jane, really thank you.

"Well, infantile behavior is rewarded: his insurance money has come through"

It was so cute when Luciana told Roberto he had to support her even when she is wrong.

Wow, that was fast. Gave Alicia pause though when Santiago agreed to a business only relationship, respecting her professionally. Shame Roberto left such a scar


 

Great recap Jane!

Shouldn't Alicia be disappointed that she is not going to be the Creative Director in LA? Also, did Bea say that Rob would be Creative Director in Mexico? Doesn't that leave Alicia high and dry? She didn't seem too upset.

Alicia needs to jump on Santiago.

I worry that Bea will be implicated in all of Augie's illegal dealings.

Wow Augie's parentage makes so much sense to so many things now! And I worry about Fatima since she knows where the bodies are buried.

Magos is just as awful as ever. Risking Elsa's license with her beer and band party! I hope a neighbor alerts Elsa before it is too late.

Glad Nacho will have something else to do now other than skulking around the cafe.
 

Alicia was left out and at Roberto's mercy now. I saw her face when Beatriz made the announcement and she seemed to realize that but hasn't given much thought since. Perhaps tonight or when Roberto pulls rank the first time.

Now would be a perfect time to start her own agency and People's Cafe the first client.
 

Agree Tofie. I really want Alicia and Elias, with the B's, to go off on their own.
 

I have to say that Rob didn't look too happy when Bea announced he would be Creative Director. Between his API stuff and looking for Mateo, he doesn't want more work. I think he would be more than happy if Alicia was given the role.
 

True he didn't rejoice but he also knows in that position he is way over his head unless Alicia steps up and saves him yet again. Roberto needs Alicia to be indebted to him.

Alicia went a little wobbly and all Roberto did was offer his apartment to Valeria. With the bar so low it doesn't take much.
 

Plus it is his mother-in-law so he should have done something. But Rob, for all of his faults, has helped Alicia's family out on many occasions and I think it was out of the goodness of his heart and not necessarily to score points with Alicia.
 

Wow! Great recap Jane---I would be lost if not for the recap as things are changing so fast and there is so much going on now. A BIG thank you.

A big clue/lead as to Mateo's whereabouts. At least we now know that Augusto wasn't behind Mateo's sudden disappearance.

Carvivlie---Shouldn't Alicia be disappointed that she is not going to be Creative Director in LA? Plus and minus---In LA she would be pretty much all alone to fight off the advances of the big guy and also---she would be far away from her family. One would think that she would be Creative Director at Iconika DF but of course Bea would put Roberto in as he is now family.

So mush going on in these peoples lives both present and past---we are learning a lot. Augusto--Fatima

I've been wondering what is going to become of that expensive ring? I guess that Gumaro still has it but???

Alicia is warming up to Santi. I'm staying tuned.

must see tv
the gringo








 

This is where my not understanding the hierarchy comes in. There seem to be different levels of bosses. Maybe Alicia didn't lose her level. Or maybe you all have been paying better attention to the bureaucracy than I have! I have so little interest in or empathy for Beto, I wish he would just spend his life "handling" his diva of a wife and Alicia could move on. Except it's sad about Mateo!

Wasn't that an amazingly crammed episode? Was it a combined one again? Why are they compacting this novela!?
 

I think it was a combined one Jane just because it did seem like it jumped around a lot. I remember thinking that while watching it.
 

What I got last night was that Roberto was going to be the general head of the Mexico City office (until his API appointment comes through) and Alicia was going to be the creative head of the DF office. Alex was being shipped off to LA to head that branch. All per Beatriz.
 

Fantastic Jane!

"Augusto, on his knees crooning to Bea's private parts" and "If he can't seduce her I guess he'll murder her" were among my favorites.

Jane, I can't keep tabs on who does what. People seem to change positions (promotions, demotions, etc.) as fast as they change kleenex!

Favorite moment was drooling err, I mean avidly listening to Santiago speak so nicely and sincerely to Alicia. What a shock that must have been, given her history with Roberto, Augusto, etc.

I hope Mateo is OK. We've already seen Roberto's ex, why are we not seeing her now?

Diana
 

After a little bit of research, yes that was a double episode. I wonder how long they're going be doubling up again. I don't know why they can't just show us all of the episodes here as they do in Mexico.
 

Gosh Diana lots of awful thoughts of why we haven't seen Sheila's face are going through me head. The worst is that she is with an abuser and has a messed up face. But why she would go get her child if she is being physically abused...idk? I'm still not certain Augie isn't out of it. I can see him hiring someone to get to her and then get her to get Mateo.
 

Carvivlie, I hadn't thought of that! I hope she hasn't been abused and that Mateo hasn't been subjected to it if that is the case.

Augusto's arm is indeed long...It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Diana
 

Thanks Jane for your recap! You are right this was an action packed episode.

Things I liked:
Bea did not give in to Augusto or Luciana. I hope her resolve holds up against those two.
Anytime Santiago appears

Things I did not like:
Anything to do with Magos foolish actions
When Luciana tried to get some action from Beto but gave up midway and pretended to sleep. Roberto reaction was hilarious. Guess he does not like to be ignored.
 

CeCe, I got the impression that Luci wanted some action but then realized that she's just not into Rob anymore! Gumaro must be making an impression ;)
 

Thanks, Jane. Great detailing.

Augusto's seduction attempt with his butt tooted up against Bea was a hoot! Lovely seeing Mr. I'm All That turned down cold. Also funny when Bea dissed him and he called her "mi amor," for the public I presume, as she left. Then I remember that he killed his brother. That seems so out of place in this comedy, but oh well.

Gumaro bonding with Draco. Love it.

Hee-hee -- Valeria piping in with "emasculated" when Nacho was at a loss of words to describe himself.
 

Loosey and Gummy:
sitting in a tree
K I S S I N G
Perfect.
 

Well, maybe a Bonsai tree.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder