Thursday, April 18, 2019

Movie Review: The Curse of La Llorona (2019)


Welcome to the first installment of our new section, Movies for Novela Fans. Since this film has been advertised on our networks, here is the review the day before full release.  Click title for the trailer.

The Curse of La Llorona (2019)
Release Date: April 19, 2019
Running Time: 93 Minutes
Warner Brothers; New Line Cinema

Director: Michael Chaves
Principal Cast: Linda Cardellini, Raymond Cruz, Marisol Ramirez, Patricia Velasquez, Tony Amendola

From the people that gave us The Conjuring, this film is centered around the legend of La Llorona, a female demonic spirit that steals children and drowns them. The legend is well-explained in the opening scenes in a flashback to its origin, which is given a date in the late 17th century. It suddenly fast-forwards to 1973 California where La Llorona becomes the cause of an investigation by a widowed social worker with two children of her own into the home of one of her cases. The demon's actions ultimately involve the Catholic church and a curandero.

This film is very much in the style of The Conjuring and The Nun which while effective previously, makes for a production that looks like a xerox copy. The demon looks like she escaped from one of the other films, which takes away from the surprise element necessary for great horror. The actors' performances were good and believable but the running time of the film limits the ability to build suspense; the horror is dependent on creepy sounds and jump scares, of which there are a few good ones.

Had this film been even fifteen minutes longer it would have had the time to build a better sensation of horror in viewers, particularly since this demon is after innocent children who depend on adults for protection rather than adults or super-smart teens who can fight their own way out. Rare horror films that exceed the two-hour mark can do this well (The Exorcist and The Shining both involved children as victims). However, lower-budget films are usually restricted to running times in the 90-95 minute range so that theatres can fit in more screenings and studios can recover the money faster.

If you haven't seen the other films, you will definitely enjoy this. There is some dialogue in Spanish. No subtitles, but those of us on this blog will have no trouble understanding it.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks, UA! Great idea to have movie reviews.

I grew up hearing the legend of La Llorona and having it held over my head that if I didn't behave, the Llorona would come for me (I really wasn't that bad LOL) I still get shivers thinking about it. Anywhoo, while I'm glad someone recognized a legend from Mexico, I won't be going to watch it; it'll make me have nightmares...and I'll regress into childhood (BWAHAHAHA)
 

Yay! Thanks UA! This is on my viewing schedule for this weekend. I love the “Conjuring” franchise. It will be interesting to see what they did with the legend.
 

Thanks, UA. I steer clear of horror, but I do like suspense and had been wondering how true to the legend the movie would be. Enjoyed your review.
 

Thanks, UA! You told me all I needed to know. ;}
 

Such fun UA. Thanks for doing this. I had the impression the whole movie was in Spanish, not just parts of it. But like Rgv Chick, don't dare go see it! Total wuss without redemption. Jarifa is made of stronger stuff, clearly.
 

I heard about La Llorona all my life. We used to have campfires stories together with friends and family as a scary story. I grew up in Tucson, Arizona and the story was that her ghost inhabited the area of the Santa Cruz River where she drowned her children. And at midnight you could hear her crying....
 

UA--Thank you for this. I hope we can add more movies out new or on DVD.

Do you remember that in Que Bonito Amor, she was featured?
 

Who, Anita?
 

La Llorona
 

Whoever is going to see this, please post your reactions here. Also let me know one thing:

Are there crowds of people laughing at what is supposed to be frightening? I am finding this to be a general problem in horror movie audiences these days except in art houses during revivals of Hammer films or other classics.
 

Thank you UA.

I did not know the history behind this so thank you for explaining it so well.

Like Rgv Chick, I would not be able to watch this but I hope others who watch this enjoy it. Jarifa, I will be curious to see what you thought after you see it.

UA, you've been a selfless contributor here and a very appreciated one.

Diana
 

Gracias! I still hope somebody else will come on board so I can work on Un Poquito Tuyo when that comes next month. I really miss Jorge Salinas!
 

Urban, Yes! It has been far too long since Jorge Salinas has done something. He is a good actor and a cutie.

Yes, I will post my opinion of the movie and will pay attention to the audience reaction. I haven’t noticed the laughter factor but the last several times I have seen a horror movie I was either alone in the theater or there were less than a dozen people.
 

A few thoughts:

Well, I went see “The Curse of la Llorona”. Although it was formulaic and indeed a recognizable part of the “Conjuring” franchise, I really enjoyed it. I will be sorry to see these movies end because they have given life again to good quality true “horror” movies with a supernatural theme as compared to “slasher” movies just filled with gore. I always love a ghost story well told.

The one thing I didn’t like was that there were no subtitles for the Spanish as Urban Anthropologist mentioned. If I didn’t know Spanish, I would have been ticked.

As for laughter, the audience was small and appropriately laughed at the curandero’s one liners.They also laughed at some of the scarier scenes but it didn’t sound like making fun of the scenes but more like stress relief; nothing inappropriate.

There were a couple of families that brought children with them. That made me think of Rgv’s and Cynthia’s posts. Yikes!

The actor playing the curandero looked familiar so I found out he had been on “Breaking Bad” and “ Better Call Saul”.

“La Llorona” appeared in one of the “Grimm” episodes.

The least enjoyable of the “Conjuring franchise” for me was “The Nun” but it did have Demián Bichir in it as my consolation prize. : )

Lorraine Warren widow of Ed Warren (the paranormal investigators who were the inspiration for these movies) died this last week at the age of 92.
 

Jarifa, I heard it did very well at the box office and I'd been wondering how you liked it.

I was interested that you noted "I always love a ghost story well told" and this wasn't a "slasher movie just filled with gore".

I also love mysteries but get a bit too wound up with the scary stuff. But it sounds good for those who don't have any trouble sleeping :)

Diana
 

Diana, no, I am not a big fan of slasher movies. Gore doesn’t make a story more interesting. It seems more like a crutch in poor storytelling these days. I have been a fan of horror/suspense/mystery ever since I was a kid. I find very few movies/shows truly scary.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder