Saturday, April 22, 2006

Alborada Cast on Cristina, part 1, Friday, April 21

Cristina (C) says that tonight is an ‘aperitif’ because of limitied time and the show will continue on Monday. She introduces Fernando Colunga (FC) with clips from his earlier novelas. Then Lucero is introduced.

C to FL: How do you feel now that the novela is finished?
F: Marvelous, it was a great cast and one of the best experiences of my life.
Daniela Romo (DR) comes down from the audience.
C: Who is this crazy woman?
DR pretends that she is angry that she won’t be on the show ‘til Monday and they haven’t killed her really and she leaves.
L: (while a clip of her kissing FL is on the screen) When women in public see FL coming, their jaws drop.
C: Don’t tell you are jealous?
L: Of course.
C: What is this? Are you cold, dear?
L: I’m happy to be here.
C: Tell me, was this a novela where you lost weight because when you were here last time you had a big belly and a big baby who is now a year old.
L: Yes, I was five months pregnant then and showing a little bit.
C: So how was it in the novela that everyone was so thin?
FC: They didn’t give us food.
C: Karla (the producer) was evil and didn’t give you anything to eat?
L: No, the truth is that we worked very hard. We had to deliver 100 percent and ate enough to be able to do that.
FC: We took care of ourselves because the public deserves to have us look as good as possible.
C: I have seen you working out, exercising but in all the years I have known you, I have never seen you look as thin as this (showing the famous shirt changing scene). In reality, you have always been in good shape but I have never seen you in such physical form. What did you do because this is the first time I have needed to ask this question?
FC: The idea was to change my diet, to make a change for the role because to play a person of that epoch was complicated, risky. People could not accept me as a person of that time un;ess they saw a different image. So I started working 6 months before the start of the novela to completely change my diet and look for a new sense of my physique.
C to L: Speaking of physique, this lady just had a baby and had “mucho fisico” (a big body?)
L: Yes, I had given birth six months before the novela started filming and was breast feeding so my breasts were larger than usual. In the low cut dresses of the period, women said to me, Hipolita, since when is your cleavage popping out so attractively? But it only lasted 2 or 3 months because I stopped breast feeding.
C to L: Was it difficult to change your image as Lucero because you are an active woman who doesn’t wear low cut clothing. Was it difficult for you to feel like the character you were portraying? [Jean- this is a stupid question. She’s an actor, right? That’s what actors do.]
L: I take the character of the person I am portraying – rich or poor, good or bad and then there is the makeup and the clothes. I think the Hipólita’s clothing and that of women in in general in telenovelas is sexy. They are striking.
FC: (interrupts) wild (salvaje)
L: Really?
FC: for Hipólita, for Hipólita.
L: Of course, Hipólita was supposed to be sexy, right. I believe that women in other times were sexy too but they were modest and didn’t show a lot but probably were sexy and feminine in other ways. What I liked was that the clothes and the fashion and briefly, my body, looked in those low bodices. I think it was pretty.
(Behind the scenes interview with L) L:A woman came up to me and said that she loved FC etc. etc. and I told her that there was going to be a scene where he took off his shirt. When, when, she cried. I don’t know but sometime. She said, what a man, how divine, etc.)
C introduces the producer of Alborada, Karla Estrada (KE) [Jean – in one of the ugliest dresses I have ever seen!] You promised us a lot of ‘bloopers’ and outtakes.
KE: It is done. (scenes play in the background)
C: First, how was the production of this novela different than that for Amor Real? Because you had to make sure that the audience didn’t think this Amor Real part II.
KE: What was difficult was that you had a novela that people liked a lot . So at the beginning we thought we might use the same costumes because they were very beautiful but we realized that everything was different in this period, the clothes, the colors of the walls, the lighting. The clothes were very feminine with the low necklines but elegant too. So we worked to make sure that nothing appeared the same as in Amor Real and we succeeded. The truth is that the novela succeeded from what the actors, the director, the screenwriter and everyone did. I have tremendous respect for what everyone did to finish up today.
Then followed scenes of FC going into the audience and asking women not to come at him screaming and L sings a song.
C: I know you don’t want to wait three more days for a whole hour with all the actors from the novela [so we have a teaser]
Luis Roberto Guzmán (LRG), who played Diego, enters and approaches FC.
LRG: I challenge you to a duel because, I am the Count of Guevara.
He leaves.
C again hypes Monday’s show and Daniela Romo sings a song.

Labels:


Comments:
Thank you for the translation. They all looked so different, especially D.R. It seemed like she was trying to prove, ''Hey, I'm not that wicked, sick, old Dona JUana...I'm a singer who knows how to boogie down and whip my long, black hair around.'' Fun! Susanlynn
 

Well done, Jean!

I, too, thought that Daniela was going a little overboard to be so youthful and that hair swinging thing gets old, ALL the girl singers do it constantly.

As I said before, I thought Colunga looked extremely uncomfortable in his body and I wondered why.
 

Thanks Melinama: I found it somewhat more difficult than a novela. I always get the gist of colloquial speech but trying to translate it exactly is a challenge. Without the titles, it would be impossible.
I always find interviews with actors disappointing. They are never very interesting in their 'real' lives.
I've already confessed to not swooning over Fernando's bod. Maybe he went overboard in bodybuilding for Alborada probably because he is worried about turning 40 and his body is his biggest asset. I hope he didn't take any weird bodybuilding supplement that might be harmful.
I actually haven't watched the final episode yet although I do know what happens. I was at a performance of the Mikado last night. It's my favorite G&S operetta and only a little sillier in plot than a novela - much better music though!
 

Thanks Jean for summarizing. I found the spanish in the talk show format so much harder to follow in the telenovela - faster, fewer breaks, no "scene" to use for context.

How I enjoyed the radical change of appearance of these actors! It's one of the things that entertains me most about entertainers. Except Colunga, I agree with Melinama's "looked uncomfortable" statement. In fact when he first walked out I thought "Oh, he's ill"... but perhaps he's injured. I seriously hope he's OK, though, I was hoping for at least one more romantic lead role from the man.

-Lilian
 

I didn't really notice Fer being uncomforable. I've seen him on Cristina's show several times, and he's always struck me as being a very genial, happy in his own body sort of guy. And when the actors he's worked with greet him on stage, it seems to be that their pleasure in seeing him and embracing him is genuine. I also read an interview with him in the magazine TV y Novelas in which he again commented on his sense of duty and obligation to the public to maintain himself physically. We can wonder if that's hypocrisy, but I prefer to think the best of these actors who have given me so much pleasure.
Sylvia G.
 

It seems that some actors are very uncomfortable when they are in front of a live audience on a talk show---these actors seem much more confident when playing a character. D.R. AND L. , on the other hand, were the life of the party because they are used to performing in front of a live audience as singers. And I've known some goodlooking guys who were very shy!! Susan Lynn, willing to help the Big F. cpme out of his shell...also offering free lessons in English if he wants to come to the U.S.
 

I think he's uncomfy with the sex symbol thing. I read somewhere that FC's most common advice to people is to maintain your dignity. He's so gorgeous that his acting ability gets overshadowed sometimes and I think he's uncomfortable with that. I really don't think he wants to discuss his looks, but seems to be resigned to get through it unscathed. It has to be frustrating to want to be taken seriuosly yet always being seen in a certain way. Sort of like Brad Pitt, or Viggo Mortensen were in the beginning. I actually feel bad about just seeing his beauty and not giving him credit for the acting. After watching my tapes again, I can see that he's really good. Very natural. I really hope to see him again in something soon! I will make a deliberate effort to ignore his attractiveness!!
cat, reformed and penitent Fernando-holic
 

So true - Lucero and DR really looked like they were having fun. I guess that's true, singers always are live performers. They sing to the crowd, look at the crowd... maybe comedians would be in the same category but acting quite a different animal.

I don't think I can be penitant about appreciating FC's good looks. OK, his face was a god-given feature for which he can take no credit. But that body is unnatural and hard won. Those pretty actresses who have to starve all the time to stay thin, that's hard. But he has to monitor his food intake plus spend hours in the gym daily under a carefully constructed plan, regardless if he's tired, sore, or sick to death of his routines. I may not be able to make a fair judgement of his acting because of my spanish innadequacy, but I can at least look at Fernando and know "there is a guy with exceptional self discipline"

-Lilian, unrepentant
 

Anyone have a copy of the ultimo capitulo of Alborada? Please respond to: mrwitherspoon2000@yahoo.com
Thanks!
 

I missed everybody from Pratie Place when Alborada finished up so I thought I'd try to be (remain?) part of the community in its new home.

The problem I'm having so far is that "Barrea" is pretty much unwatchable. The plot is predictable and the characters are cardboard.

It is also hard to start out in the middle. Melinama's early recaps and character sketches were a huge help in getting up to speed with Alborada. Could someone post a thumbnail sketch of who's who and what's up. (Three sentences, something along the lines of "Dona Juana switched the babies. Isabel is rich and good, Cristobal is trying to live out a genuine faith, etc. Except for Barrea)

I would like to be a backup recapper but my espanol is not strong enough as yet. I have been trying for months to wean myself from the subtitulos. Maybe if I hook up the VCR and replay the problematic parts (something I should do anyway) I can do what needs doing.

So far I like Peregrina a lot better.

One last thing. This is in response to the complaint about the accents. I use the US International keyboard for typing spanish. It makes typing accents completely painless. It's also free. If anyone wants instructions just let me know. You can switch keyboards with just a click on the little icon in your system tray.(Obviously I don't have it on now but that's just cause I'm lazy.)
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder