Saturday, April 29, 2006

Friday, April 28

Remedios has used her savings to pay Maite’s bail. [There is one way in which Barrera is superior to Alborada - none of the characters in Barrera have an accent in their name! It’s so much faster to type. Between Hipólita, Cristóbal, Asunción, Andrés and Ramón, Alborada was a typist’s nightmare.] Remedios advises Maite to get out of town without her baby. Jacinta has promised to send her to prison again. Maite has to leave her baby for Remedios to care for because if she tries to leave with her she’ll have to live on the run because Jacinta will move heaven and earth to find her. Ok says Maite. ‘I have no other way out. When will I be able to see my daughter?’ Remedios says that she can come sometime when Jacinta isn’t around. Remedios will help Maite see her baby before she leaves. Maite and Remedios leave the prison.

Back at the hacienda, the maid tells Jacinta that nuns have found Adolfo dead drunk in the garden of the convent and he is in the clinic. Jacinta wants Federico to go with her to the clinic.

Federico is lounging in the office, smoking and congratulating himself that everything is going according to his plan to take over the hacienda.

At the clinic, Adolfo is apparently still drunk. He tries to stagger out to get Maite out of jail but a tiny nun hustles him back to bed saying that his family have been notified and are on the way.

Manola & her parents are reveling in Jacinta’s misfortunes. It all comes from mésalliances with riffraff like Maite. Manola says that, “Jacinta está que no la calienta ni el sol.” [Update: My Spanish teacher says that this means being very, very sad] Then Manola’s father, I think his name is Nicolas, says, “Tantos baños de pureza que se da esa hurraca and now she doesn’t know where to put her head for the shame of having such a daughter in law.” [I can translate this literally: ‘How many purifying baths has that magpie had…” and I guess it refers to Jacinta’s social pretensions but what does the literal meaning of such a phrase refer to? Update: My Spanish teacher says that 'darse baños de pureza' means to pretend to be a saint ]

Maite bids adieu to her baby and apologizes for leaving her. [Maite only has one little tear in this scene. Don’t you think that a mother forced to leave her baby would be a little more upset? Unfavorable comparisons with Marlene Favela in Contra Viento y Marea come to mind. She would have really milked a scene like this.]

At the convent, Jacinta tries to blacken Maite’s character to the Mother Superior but the nun has known Maite since she was born and Jacinta is having a hard time convincing her that Maite is evil. The nuns promise to help raise Valeria to be a decent Catholic girl. This is unlikely to succeed if Jacinta is going to be involved.

Federico tells Adolfo that he must forget Maite but Aldofo says he can’t let the mother of his daughter go. Jacinta tells Adolfo that Maite is garbage and he is going to divorce her. Adolfo says that he wants to see her and won’t leave her in jail. Federico has to help him walk.
Jacinta thought bubble: We’ll see who wins – this shameless hussy or me.

Remedios puts Maite on the bus and she gets a one-way ticket to Mexico City. Maite promises to keep in touch and Remedios promises to watch over Valeria. Remedios gives Maite some money to get started in her new life.

At the jail, Jacinta is furious that Maite has been let out on bail. In spite of the fact that Jacinta considers Maite’s crime of kidnapping her own baby to merit life in prison as a punishment, the authorities don’t see it as all that serious. The officer tells Jacinta that Remedios paid the bail.

Some gossipy ladies see Maite on the bus to Mexico City.

Jacinta confronts Remedios about getting Maite out of jail. Remedios responds sensibly that if the authorities set bail, there was no reason to keep Maite in jail. ‘Where did you get the money?’ Jacinta wants to know. ‘None of your beeswax’, says Remedios. ‘I work for you, you don’t control my personal life.’ But once Remedios tells Jacinta that Maite is gone to Mexico City, Jacinta is happy. She has won.

Adolfo tells the baby that they are alone. Maite has abandoned them.

Magdalena arrives in a brothel in Mexico City, pregnant and broke. That familiar character, the prostitute with the heart of gold, in this case named Elvira, takes her in even though she can’t service clients in her condition.

In Mexico City, Maite wanders around apparently lost and confused.

Rodrigo, Manola’s baby is baptized and Jacinta is the godmother and foots the bill for the party. Manola’s parents congratulate themselves on this social climbing move. Adolfo is not there. Jacinta says he is ‘indisposed.’

In the big city, Maite is running out of money and can’t find a job. Elvira and an associate overhear and offer her a job in the brothel. Maite declines non judgmentally and Elvira asks Maite what kind of work she is seeking. ‘I am a cook’ says Maite. The ever-helpful Elvira knows the owner of restaurant near her establishment. His name is Victor and he always needs help. Maite is grateful.

Back at the baptism, Jacinta askes Cayetana to tell all her friends never to mention Maite’s name to Valeria. Flattered by this attention, Cayetana promises to get everyone in on the ‘Maite never existed’ act.

Adolfo is drowning his sorrows in drink. At the baptism, Manola gets rid of her baby and is canoodling with Federico when her father walks in on them. Federico leaves but is listening outside the door. Manola admits that Federico is her lover. Her father says that she is risking too much with a nobody. Manola responds that he is really worried about his own business relations with Gustavo. She says that as a nobody Federico is the perfect lover – he can never be anything more. Gustavo is a bad husband and lover. She needs a real lover like Federico. Her father says, ‘Don’t tell me that he gave you the pledge [something that was pawned? A jewel? I missed this]. ‘Of course he did’, says Manola, ‘Did you think I have lots of lovers. I’m not a prostitute.’ Manola guesses that Federico got the money to buy the expensive jewel by fiddling Jacinta’s accounts. The father suggests that the gift of the expensive jewel means that Federico wants to be more than a lover. ‘Don’t worry,’ says Manola. ‘Federico knows his place.
Federico thought bubble: They think I’m a nobody who is no threat. They don’t know me very well.

Maite goes to see the Victor, the owner of the restaurant – a kind-of (for this novela) attractive bald guy. His restaurant serves French food and Maite cooks Mexican food but no problem, he will hire her. [Don’t let them tell you that people in the big city are mean and take advantage of innocents from the provinces]

In her first day at the restaurant, Maite has a flashback to when she left her baby. She promises to return. Victor suggests that she stop day dreaming and get back to work. He goes out leaving piles of money on a table.

In Enseñada, Unibrow tells another fat ugly guy that it was a mistake to go to Aguascaliente. He ran into Maite and it was awkward. The fat ugly guy wonders about the fire – why couldn’t the women get out of the house? Fat ugly guy says it’s time to move on with life and with Nuria.

Unibrow meets with Nuria and she tells him [I think] that she is going to study to be a vet in Canada.

Back at the restaurant in Mexico City, Victor accuses Maite of taking some of the money that was on the table. She denies it but he fires her.

Meanwhile Adolfo is hitting the bottle hard. Federico comes to fetch him for Jacinta. The barkeep says that Aldofo hasn’t paid him and Federico says that he will pay.
Federico thought bubble: I like to see you in this condition because it gives me a free hand to meddle in the affairs of the hacienda.

In a post baptism coffee, Jacinta suggests to Remedios that Valeria should marry Rodrigo. Remedios says it’s a little early – they are just babies. Jacinta responds that you can start sowing the seeds early. Since Manola didn’t end up marrying Adolfo, it would be fitting for their children of such good families to marry. Remedios holds out for love. “Like Adolfo and Maite or like you and my husband?” says Jacinta with sarcasm. Those relationships turned out badly.

Flashback to a young Jacinta with toddler Adolfo confronting a young Remedios with whom her husband is having an affair. Jacinta says that Pedro will never leave her for Remedios and if she doesn’t stop having an affair with him, she will pay dearly.”
Remedios says that after that conversation she sent Pedro away. There is a flashback of this. Jacinta says that she doesn’t believe it and Remedios insists that it is true that she broke up with Pedro and has a flashback to prove it. Jacinta says that Federico is proof that they didn’t end the affair. Remedios says that Pedro came to her pueblo and begged her to be with him and she couldn’t deny her heart – it was love. It was lust and sin says Jacinta. [Why does Jacinta have Remedios in her house and be all buddy buddy with her if she had an affair with her husband? Jacinta doesn’t seem like the type to let bygones be bygones.]

Back at the restaurant, which is being patronized by the prostitutes, Victor finds the money he accused Maite of taking. He will find her and make it right.

The servants dump a pickled Adolfo on the couch and Jacinta tells them to keep quiet about it. In front of Remedios and Federico, Jacinta calls Adolfo ‘piltrafa,’ literally ‘poor quality meat’ or a wretch. Jacinta goes on to say that she is ashamed of him and wishes that he wasn’t her son. Remedios tries to intervene but is told to be quiet. Jacinta goes on to tell Adolfo that his alcoholism has diminished the prestige of the Valladolid name. He has deceived her by claiming to have graduated from the university with honors when really it was Unibrow who did that. This is where the TiVo stopped recording.

UPDATE: Lillian added "Your tivo didn't grab the cliff hanger: two thugs dragging Maite into a dark corner. I'm hoping for the bald Victor to save her. I kind of like him." I was wondering why Maite was walking alone in a dark street in the middle of the night. Poor idea.

Labels:


Comments:
HA HA I laughed out loud! You have outdone me! Excellent recap. I totally agree about the accents in the Alborada cast, they were driving me batty.

I think Jacinta is keeping Remedios around because she knows Federico is a part-heir to the hacienda (there must have been some baby-recognizing going on). I don't remember where I read that but it's my guess anyway.

I was glad to see Jacinta wasn't able to insist that Maite be incarcerated forever for taking her own baby on a train ride.

I agree she parted with that baby pretty coolly.

Well done!
 

Excellent recap Jean! Very amusing through and through. About this Jacinta/Remedios thing. Remedios went over this with Griselda on Tuesday, my recap, and I didn't go through the whole story because I feared it was old hat and yet another repeat. According to my notes it goes something like this:
Pedro kept sniffing around Remedios, no matter where she went Pedro found her. Remedios didn't want to destroy Pedro's home and family when she found out she was pregnant so she left town to go live with her brothers. When Pedro somehow found out that Remedios had a son by him he wanted to protect the baby by giving him his name. Pedro recognized Federico as a Valladolid. Remedios has two birth certificates, her original one and the subsequent registration with Pedro as the father. Remedios never told this to anyone (except Griselda who is dead now). Nobody has seen the second birth certificate (except maybe Jacinta?) and Federico does not know that it exists. He also doesn't know that he has a right to half the Valladolid hacienda. After Pedro died Remedios, feeling guilty about denying Federico his rightful inheritance, went to speak with Jacinta. Jacinta must have done some fast talking because Remedios agreed to a verbal contract: at Jacinta's death the boys will split the inheritance, in the meantime Remedios and Federico will live at the hacienda. That way, instead of enjoying just half the wealth each, Federico will enjoy the same opporunities as Adolfo. Jacinta paid for Federico's studies but he wasn't a good student. No matter, however, because he had a natural talent for hacienda work which is what Pedro would have wanted anyway. Remedios still does not want to tell Federico that Pedro is his father (no reason was given as to why) but in case of her death there is a letter somewhere for Federico that explains everything.
I am so sorry that I didn't include this in Tuesday's recap!!

What on earth would possess Remedios to agree to such a one-sided contract? I'm sure this arrangement has helped make Federico the jerk he is. I don't think she's at all true to her name, doesn't "remedio" mean cure?
 

Thanks Melinama and Sylvia:
I haven't outdone you Melinama, you post funny recaps at 2 in the morning. I did most of it Friday night and then went back this afternoon and edited it and expanded some stuff I had been too tired to figure out on Friday.
Compared to recapping Cristina, doing Barerra was easy and fun! (I'm still working on part 2 of Cristina). I'm sure that my ignorance of the Jacinta/Remedios (wouldn't you like to be named 'cure') thing was because I haven't watched a few episodes. Thanks for clarifying. Considering Jacinta's prediliction for murdering people who know inconvenient secrets, I'd be concerned if I were Remedios (of course, she doesn't know about Jacinta's homicidal tendencies).
 

Y'all are ALL great recappers. It is fun to read what happens after the show because it clears up the ??? signs that are going off in your head as you watch this crazy show!

I love these phrases and words that are pulled out. They really are helping my vocabulary and comprehension. Especially to all the euphemisms. Thank you all so much for doing this! But I do hope another really good novela like Alborada will be on soon....

And speaking of Alborada I laughed out loud when I saw the pictures of Luis Antonio and the handsome Luis. Very funny! I wonder what the actors would say if they happened on the blog....?
 

Yes, another stellar recap! I am so grateful because I must keep up as part of my self-imposed Spanish study program. What would I do without you people?

I think Remedios is Jacinta's only friend. In a weird, twisted sort of way true, but everyone has to have someone to talk to and Jacinta has no Modesta to turn to.

Your tivo didn't grab the cliff hanger: two thugs dragging Maite into a dark corner. I'm hoping for the bald Victor to save her. I kind of like him.

-Lilian
 

I had the impression that Maite is spelled "Maité". In one of the earlier episodes a character speaking of Our Heroine snapped "It's MaiTE, not MAIte, there's an accent on the end!"
 

DANG! Teka, you might well be right, but, you know what, I for one don't care (about that accent). I am so tired of all those accents in Alborada. You all can just add yer own! Heh heh.
 

Dang, Teka, you ARE right. I had checked the cast list on the Barrera web site on Esmas and just missed that one. Maybe I wanted not to see it. But I'm with Melinama, I'm not putting it in.
Fortunately, the last minute or so that TiVo didn't record will be on Monday's episode. I could set the TiVo to record an extra minute or two but it's not worth messing up the schedule if I'm recording something after Barrera.
Now I understand what it was like for the people who came in late on Alborada and had questions that seemed so obvious to me who had carefully watched every minute, sometimes replaying a piece of dialog over and over until I was sure I understood it. Obviously, I'm not putting that kind of effort into Barerra.
 

I just checked, and here María la del Barrio is showing at 4 pm. Thanks for the tip, I may try to watch at least a little. If anybody feels like recapping or just keeping us up with the story at all, let me know...
 

Hello everyone,

sorry I have not been around to read and watch the novela. I have been keeping busy with school and work. I will have to catch up soon, thanks to you all for this. You all do a great job.
 

I was suprised by the lack of tears too. I have to say that on the whole Maite is a much bettter cryer than Lucero, but it irriates me the way she rubs her hand all over her face when she cries. It grosses me out a little. Am I the only one who is irritated by this? I have decided to continue to watch the show but I won't like it! I honestly think the recap is more fun than the entire show. I am watching just for comprehension practice now. I have put an accent over my name in a protest of no longer having Alborada. I need a cute man on tv to drool over. Luis just doesnt invite the warm fuzzies like Fernando did.
 

I asked my Spanish teacher (who is actually in Spain right now) about the two expressions that I couldn't translate in Friday's episode. She says that "Estar que no la calienta ni el sol" means being extremely sad. And "Darse baños de pureza" means to pretend to be a Saint or holy person.
 

Great recap Jean!
Comment on Maite leaving her baby-I know I would have been a bawling idiot! I guess in her mind, she had to worry about her own hide.
Sylvia-Thanks for clearing the Jacinta/Remedios thing. I wasn't quite sure but, I always thought Remedios had to be holding something over Jacinta head- for her to be aloud to live there.
I am kinda looking forward to Federico showing us what he made of...if he only knew all this fuss he is going through is for nothing--he already gets half of the ranch?!
-Marie
 

I don't know about where you guys live, but the theme song to Barrera gets radio play on the spanish pop station here in Albuquerque. I'm not sure why, but I find that funny. But maybe not as funny as my downloading the lyrics and singing along

-Lilian
 

I believe Jacinta's husband left a stipulation in his will that both of his sons be raised together and that Remedios live in the same house. I haven't been following this too closely, but believe this was mentioned.
 

Wow! Jean I love that you are consulting an expert on the recaps!

I was thinking that the "Jacinta esta que no la calienta ni el sol" phrase meant "not even the sun can warm Jacinta to Maite" or something to that effort. Maite being the la part (as her) because she was referened in the sentence before. I wasnt sure about it so I thought Id see what others had to say. Glad to know you are following up with a pro! Thank you for doing such a great job. I really appreciate it!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder