Monday, May 01, 2006

Barrera de Amor: May 1

  • The cliffhanger of Friday fizzled immediately - Maite's mugging lasted about 24 seconds. Victor roars up on his motorcycle and dispatches the thugs. Maite runs right into his arms, but then remembers he accused her of robbery and fired her so she pulls away.

    He's very embarrassed - remember, he found the money he'd accused her of stealing in his own pocket - so he offers her a free apartment over the restaurant as a peace offering. She says, "You don't need to apologize, you didn't know me, why should you trust me?" He asks her to come back to work: "You need the money, and I need you." They go get her stuff from the brothel immediately.

    He tells her his dad, now dead, was Mexican, but his mother is French Canadian and after she was widowed, she met a new guy and moved to France with him.

  • Federico continues his aggressive sucking-up to Jacinta. She's mad at his mother Remedios for paying Maite's bail. He says, "I agree with you Jacinta, and to prove I'm on your side, here's a letter from Maite's aunt Griselda, written to Unibrow." "How did you get it?" "I saw Martina and Maite plotting to leave with the baby. I waited all day and intercepted the letter." He points out: now that Martina and Griselda are dead, nobody knows about any of this. Jacinta: "Let's keep it that way." "Doña Jacinta, your wish is my command, I couldn't let Maite leave with your granddaughter." She praises him. He rats out his mother: "I don't know why my mother did it." "You're not responsible for her mistakes." "I have a grand affection for you and I'm grateful." "I'm glad you're grateful. I reward those who serve me - what do you want? Money, a car, a trip?" "Just to be in your confidence."

  • Maite mopes and reviews her plan to earn a lot of money, hire a lawyer, and get her daughter back. She has an awful nightmare of all the awful things that have been happening to her.

  • Federico scolds his mother. I think both of them are heavily Botoxed - he has the stoniest, most inexpressive face ever. "Why did you save Maite? That money was ours, for us." "I had to, I couldn't be peaceful thinking of her rotting in jail." He points out, trying to sound sympathetic, that Maite's husband has fallen apart since she left, going crazy and drinking, and it's Maite's fault!

  • Adolfo has a flashback of Maite reminding him of his evil deeds and that she can't love him. He's drunk and lets the baby cry for a while. Then he stamps into the room where Remedios is trying to get Valeria to sleep. "Why can't you shut up this kid? I can't stand to hear it, it reminds me of Maite."

    Jacinta looks to God and thanks Him for putting the child in her hands. "I'll make her a good Catholic - thank you for choosing me among all mortals to be the one to help You save souls from the fires of Hell."

  • Federica fondles Manola in the car and reviews his successful manipulation of Jacinta. He wants to get the letter back now, because its possession confers power! (One ring to rule them all...) He boasts that Jacinta is now eating out of his hand.

  • While Jacinta gets ready to go to the cemetery, she reads Griselda's letter and then crumbles it up and throws it in the wastebasket.

  • Remedios and Jacinta put flowers on the graves of Griselda and Martina, and while they're there decide to leave some on Padre Anselmo's grave too. (That was a big couple days for Jacinta when she dispatched that trio.) They argue about whether G & M are in Purgatory or Heaven. "They died without confessing," Jacinta primly chides. Her thought bubble: "My bracelet, the one Pedro gave me, ended up on the arm of his lover [Remedios]." She remembers a day when Adolfo was a baby and she had had a picture of the two of them taken. When she gave it to Don Pedro he said: "Oh, you were wearing the bracelet I gave you last year for our anniversary - the one you said you'd never wear until I loved you."

    Jacinta wonders how Remedios got the bracelet, as she thought Pedro had never seen Remedios again. Helpfully Remedios's thought bubble informs us that even though she had begged Pedro to stay with his wife and son, he came to find her in the little town she'd moved to and finally she could not resist his blandishments...

  • Federico retrieves Griselda's letter from the trash and takes it back to Manola (they seem to have regular gropes in the car). He rides her for calling him Mr. Nobody. She says, "You have a knack for making money but you'll never be classy." "You can buy class with money. ... Why'd you marry your husband?" "He adores me and he's easy to manipulate." They talk about the baby - which could easily be Gustavo's grandchild, he's so old (much as with the baby-boomers of today). They decide Manola's father is not going to tell Gustavo about the hanky-panky he witnessed. Manola reminds Federico: "Gustavo has poured out money on my family and I don't want the spigot to close so you better keep quiet, too."

  • Unibrow asks Nutria if she'd like a more serious relationship with him. Would she be his girlfriend? Why, yes! He plants a squishy one on her - he's even an ikky kisser. Jeesh! Then he reminds her he's not in love with her, but she figures she can get past that. "My boys need a mother, I need a real companion."

  • Victor wears the greenest shirt ever seen outside St. Patrick's Day. He asks Maite if she has family and she reluctantly divulges vague details. She asks him the same, and he says he would have liked to have had a family. He offers to take her shopping so she can learn the ropes and when she can do it herself he'll be able to pay her more. Later she ogles him a bit in the gym. He yells to somebody on the phone, "There are some things you can say that can never be taken back. I can't live with you."

  • Unibrow's noisome boys chant, "Daddy has a girlfriend. Will you marry her? Will we have little brothers? The best thing is that she's like Maite!"

  • Adolfo staggers out of bed, ready to eat something, and says he doesn't like to hold the baby cause it makes him miss Maite so much. Jacinta keeps reminding him that he's handsome and "they're making them thangs every day," but he says there is nobody like Maite.

  • After Remedios says she's worried about Adolfo's pining, Jacinta gives her a lecture about child-raising. (Neither of them has done a good job to judge by the outcome.) "He has never behaved like a Valladolid with dignity and strength." "You always held him up to his grandfather and father." "Bulls need to be stabbed [it's some bullfight term I am too tired to look up]. I needed to rule him with a hard hand." "No, he needed affection." "He'd have hidden in my skirts." They descend to squabbling about Pedro.

  • Magdalena has her baby. As the whores are cooing over her, the madame says they have to leave the house - their landlord had financial problems and had to flee the country. She's thinking they should pool their savings and buy a smaller one farther out of town.

  • It's Valeria's birthday and Jacinta has decreed she's to start sleeping alone in her own room. Maite sneaks into the house with Remedios's help and holds and plays with the baby. Jacinta can't sleep and comes toward the room - Maite hides, Remedios covers and gets Jacinta to take the baby away. Maite bolts and runs - right into Adolfo's room! He wakes up, sees her, staggers after her shouting her name. Jacinta says "I told you that name is forbidden in this house." "She was in my room, I swear it."

Labels:


Comments:
Wow, so Unibrow and Nutria are going to try to form a relationship. Scary. How she can be with him knowing he loves another is crazy. I know I may be in the minority here, but I'm finding that guy Victor kind of attractive. I recognize that he's not beefcake material like our beloved Fernando Colunga, but compared to the males in the show (so far), he's ok. :) When the show fast forwards some years, the bullfighter guys may offer some eye candy.

Thanks Melinam for another entertaining post. You guys rock!
 

You know, Lucy, I agree with you, Victor seems sweet, he has a nice body, he's smart and energetic, I don't mind the bald head. Although I don't know about that green shirt.

I didn't know about the bullfighter dudes (oh, the ones we see in the credits?) I will remain hopeful.
 

EWWW! That kiss was soo gross. It reminded me of that scene in the movie "the Fly" when Gena Davis kissed the monster. I don't think I could have been more grossed out even if he had planted a kiss on an actual nutria rat! I also am crushing a little on Victor. I think we're desperate for some hunkiness. I also had a crush on Jean Luc Picard on star trek "Engage!". Bald can be beuatiful. I could have lived without the butt close-up when he was working out though. That was uneccessary. I guess it's suppposed to show us that Maite's thinking "hey there, baby!" Anyway, those are today's useless comments of mine. Thank you for the recap!
 

I saw the part of last night's episode where Unibrow and Nutria were kissing. Unibrow has crooked, yellow teeth! It was gross. I don't want to beat a dead horse here but how did this man get to be the romantic lead in a novela? I checked out the actor, Sergio Reynoso, on Imdb and he was in "Amarte es mi pecado" and "El Manantial" but it didn't seem like he even had big roles in those much less the lead. I think that any male character on Alborada who was between 10 and 60 years old with the possible exception of Fray Alvaro and the public flogger would have been a better choice than Unibrow for the lead in this novela. Maybe the next generation will be an improvement. Let hope for one of those "15 years later" screens soon.
 

Boy-That kiss last night,it was something to be desired--wasn't it!
That man needs some lessons on kissing...Any volunteers? No???
I knew when Maite went into that room it was going to be Aldolfo's. Was that his room orginally? Or is he sleeping in Maite's old bed to reminisce? I wish he would have caught up to her after he came stagering out of that bedroom. "Maite-Maite She was in my bedroom, I swear!" If he would just stop that drinkin' he would have caught her.
Thanks for another great recap,
-Marie
 

You guys are hilarious with your critiques of Unibrow's ghastly kissing scene. I asked my friend Maria (telenovela expert) about Sergio Reynoso, the guy who plays Unibrow. She can't figure out why he is the lead, says he's been in plenty of novelas but always a minor character. She's as baffled by it as we are. Lucy, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the bullfighters too! Also, I hope Remedios has more flashbacks of young Pedro, he's a babe.
 

I have a theory or two on why he is the lead! He obviously knows a deep secret of the casting directors or the producers and is blackmailing them. Or maybe he slept his way to the top! HaHAhHAHA. DO they have a casting couch in Mexico? I tell you one thing, If that man takes his shirt off I am DONE with this show!! I just got my copy of La Usurpadora From netflix and am loving it! I miss FErnando! He is good in it! Manola is in it as well. So is Antonio! I am enjoying it!!! You should get a copy! Great acting too!
 

Great recap! I was grossed out with Antonios kiss and the bottom in the air scene of Victors. What was up with that?! I have never oogled a mans bottom that is poking up in the air! Thats so gross! I laughed when I saw one of Maites attackers was wearing a leather jacket (think Happy Days and the fonze) but I completely missed the green shirt. It was! very loud. And whats up with all these old cars. I thought these families are suppossed to be very wealthy. Im not sure why they would be driving a 1980's model Crown Victoria or that awful Mustang that Manola and Feddy had their hook up in. Strange strange show. Yet Im liking it.

I also agree that Victor is a lot easier on the eyes than the others minus Ferderico but he was a villan in Contra Viento Y Marea so Im pre-programmed to not like him. If we are grossed out with these male leads I wonder what these actresses are thinking. Why do I have to kiss this guy? Is it in my contract? Do I have to touch his chest? Ahhhhhhhh!
 

Old cars because this is supposed to be a fair long time ago - soon I think we are going to leap some years into the future and be in the present. (But the actors and actresses will not have aged a bit.)
 

Lynn: What villain was Victor in Contra Viento y Marea? He doesn't look familier to me and I checked the cast list and didn't see Conrad Osorio, which is the name of the actor.
 

Wednesday, 5/3. I just finished watching the first episode of Mi Destino Eres Tu, and I think I may stick with this one. It is on Telefutura at 6:00 a.m. in this area. It stars Lucero (her last telenovela before Alorada and before taking a 5-year break to have two children). Carla Estrada, the producer of Alborada, also produced this one, and Monica Miguel (Modesta) is a co-director. There are three popular actors in this. Jorge Salinas is one, whose last telenovela was La Esposa Virgen with Adela Noriega. He was also in two very popular Mexican films - Sexo, Pudor & Lagrimas and Amores Perros. Another is Maricio Islas, who was the soldier/farm administrator in Amor Real. The third is Jaime Camil, who is playing Lety's boss in La Fea. This trio beats Unibrow, Adolfo and all the rest in Barrera.

It's a modern story. Andrea (Lucero) is a young lawyer. She and her younger sister live with an aunt and uncle (not sure why yet). Andrea plans to marry Ramiro (Mauricio Islas), who comes from a wealthy family. Ramiro's mother approves of this match, but his father does not and wants Ramiro to marry someone else, Sofia. He seems to think that Andrea is after the family fortune, and at the end of the first episode he offers her money to get out of his son's life.

A parallel story line concerns Eduardo (Jorge Salinas), who is married to Emma (who is having an affair with someone else) and has a young daughter, Ximena. He is also a lawyer. In one scene he meets with Augusto (father) and Fernando (son - Jaime Camil), who own a company and want to hire him to represent them in an employment case.

I am not providing a synopsis because I do not want to read one myself. I don't like to know what is going to happen before it does, and I'm just grateful that I am coming in on the very beginning of this. For those who are interested, I'm sure you can find a synopsis on some website devoted to this telenovela. I also won't try to recap it on a regular and detailed basis because my Spanish is not that good. But if there is any evidence in the comments that other people are watching this, I may bring it generally up-to-date once in awhile, or try to help with confusions or questions.

I haven't found anything else that I am interested in watching. I got tired of Maria la del Barrio after three episodes. It is even sillier that La Fea, and after you've seen Fernando in his speedo once, that's enough (for me anyway). Thalia's "ghetto-speak", cutesy behavior and annoying mannerisms just drive me up a wall. Kay
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder