Wednesday, August 30, 2006

La Fea Más Bella #90 8/28/06 mini-recap

I, personally, am having a busy week (nothing bad, just annoying). So, I've only seen Monday's episode so far, and I won't be watching tonight, either. Rather than make everybody wait till the weekend for everything, I thought it might not be a bad idea to give a compact recap of Monday's, at least, so people won't be too lost:

Throughout this episode, there is the usual filler talk between Omar and Fernando, agonizing over having to maintain the two relationships. I'm not going to rehash any of this. No useful information is given. However, at one point, Omar gives Fernando the photo of Patty Manterola to help him out with his next talk with Lety. (What was Omar doing with that in the first place? Never mind; don't answer.)

Luigi, who once stole one of Carolina's boyfriends, scolds Yazmin for being lippy with Irma (telling Irma which jewelry she should be allowed to wear for the presentation). Flaquito calls (on Luigi's phone, making Luigi even more annoyed) to tell Yazmin he's decided to go after Lola's house. Yazmin is pleased.

Marcia confides to Carolina that she's considering cancelling the wedding. Carolina tells Marcia not to rush into getting married if there are any doubts, but Marcia fears that if she doesn't marry Fernando in September, they may never get married. Meanwhile, Ariel tells Fernando he hopes he doesn't marry Marcia. And if he doesn't, Ariel is going to sell his shares and dissolve the company. (Omar just stands there unhelpfully like a silent idiot, figuring that if he doesn't move, Ariel won't be able to see him and eat him.)

During Luigi's very impressive presentation for Bella Life jewelry, Marcia watches Fern carefully to see if he's ogling any particular model who might be his girlfriend. Omar and Ariel drool openly. Meanwhile, there is a lot of nasty talk out in the hallway between Alicia and the feas, including a confrontation about Alicia trying to steal Lety's boyfriend. Alicia warns Lety not to challenge her.

After the presentation, Alicia tells Luigi that she should be in the commercial. I assume this is because a) she needs the money and b) after that incident with the feas, she is probably in need of a morale-booster. Ariel is not in the mood to boost anybody. He agrees with her that she does wear her clothes well, but she looks even better without them. Everyone is aghast at this very rude (and loud) remark from him, and she runs out mortified.

Ariel also claims this will be Conceptos's last project, which surprises Marcia. He announces to everyone that if Fern & Marcia don't get married in September, he's dissolving the company because Fern breaks all of his promises. He tells them all to have a nice day, and leaves. Luigi wants to know what's going on, for the sake of the dress (I guess he's going to be making it?). Marcia stomps off in tears.

Ariel seizes another opportunity to insult Alicia again on his way out of the lobby. Alicia unloads on Marcia about how little respect she gets from everyone and that she's treated like a nobody or a floozy. Marcia is a bit cold with her but says "do what you want with my brother - defraud him, kill him - just get even." Alicia asks Marcia what's wrong, and Marcia repeats, "get even." She goes home and starts drinking. (That can't be good.)

To impress Yazmin, Saimon asks Luigi to let him be his creative assistant. Luigi says no, he's a solo act. Luigi and his models make fun of Yazmin, and Yazmin tells Saimon they need to curtail their "relationship" because she doesn't want Lola's gossip getting back to El Cheque.

Fern insists on taking Lety home, so they can talk about everything.

Alicia gets a call from Roman, asking how is Jakarta. She hangs up on him. Then she realizes that was the guy from the other night, still hoping for a date with Alicia and Marcia. Omar comes along. She detains him for some reason, and he repeats Ariel's mean joke to her. Then Fern comes by and formally announces that he's taking Lety home. Just so there won't be any questions about his whereabouts. Then he mocks her. (Alicia's not a nice person, but this has been a really bad day for her and you just know she's going to do something stupid to try to feel better about herself.)

Alicia calls Marcia, who is drinking. She tells her about the call from Roman, but Marcia is not interested. Then Alicia says that Fern left with "la garnacha" (the grape??) or "la guarnacha" (can't find a translation for that). (It sure would be nice if she would pick a nickname for Lety that's easy to understand and translate. I finally got the hang of "tlacoyo bigoton" and now she has a new nickname?? Not fair!) Marcia is still not interested. Alicia is stunned and a little insulted by Marcia's apathy. Marcia snaps, "there's not going to be a wedding!" Let's see if she remembers that tomorrow after she sobers up.

In Fern's car, Fern tells Lety that it won't be easy, but he wants to continue their relationship. She is worried about complicating his life and the wedding. Fern says some stuff that's probably funny, and possibly explains Ariel's threat to dissolve the company. Ultimately, Fern tells Lety that he won't cancel the wedding, but he's not going to marry Marcia, either.

All I know about Tuesday's episode (which I probably won't see until tomorrow) is that Patty Manterola is in it, which should be interesting, given that Marcia and Lety both know that Fernando keeps her photo around.


I'm having dictionary trouble, btw. I got the Oxford one because it's big and had lots of words in it. (Correction: It's only the "Pocket" edition - but it's way too big for my pocket! The desk or unabridged version is probably much better so I guess I just need to shell out for a bigger book.) With no other info to go on, I thought those were decent criteria. And I'm sure it's fine for most purposes. However, vocabulary-wise, it's just not cut out for telenovela-watching. Plus, it's mostly British English, which is more of an impediment than I would have guessed. (For example, the English equivalent of one Spanish word was "plebby." Eventually I figured out that was slang for plebeian and referred to what I suppose we would call riffraff, but "plebby" is not a familiar word to me or the people I asked.) I have a few other gripes about it too, but my point is, I'd like some recommendations for a more useful dictionary. Thanks!

Labels:


Comments:
Hi Julie, after becoming frustrated with pocket dictionaries that didn't have absolutely EVERYTHING I wanted to translate I broke down and bought the Larousse Unabridged Spanish-English/English-Spanish hardcover dictionary. I went to the bookstore, pulled out the big Spanish dictionaries and looked up every bad word that I learned from my restaurant days. The Larousse was the only one that had all of them. I can't recall it not having anything I have needed to translate. Pros: lots of words including slang from different countries, translates lots of phrases, decent cross-referencing with verb forms. Cons: heavy, not cheap, print is small. I love it and I'm very glad I bought it.
 

I found there are many Mexican words and phrases which are NOT in the giant dictionary, which is very Spain oriented. The little Merriam-Webster is pretty good.
 

Thanks, Sylvia! I will check it out.

BTW, I'm not at all sure about the "just get even" remark. She said something that sounded like a word that translates roughly into "get even," but for all I know it could have been "put on some pants."
 

Thanks to Melinama too...
 

I have some more dictionary tips for you. On-line, two fairly complete ones are the Espasa Concise at http://www.wordreference.com and the American Heritage http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/reference/dict_en_es/ .

However, when it comes to Mexican expressions that aren't in the regular dictionaries you may have to look elsewhere; here are some sites: http://www3.unileon.es/dp/dfh/jmr/dicci/006.htm
http://www.academia.org.mx/dbm/DICAZ/a.htm and http://tinyurl.com/gdhvu .

When it comes to paper dictionaries, I like the Gran Larousse (probably the same one Sylvia mentioned) but with one caveat; it is a little too fond of giving the cognate as a meaning when another word would be more accurate. I fill in the gaps where the Larousse is deficient with the Oxford Spanish Dictionary.
 

Thank you, Megs! And thanks to Amanda for picking up Tuesday and Wednesday for me - it would have taken me forever to catch up!
 

A garnacha is another version of what's also called a "sope" or "gordita", i.e. a smallish thick tortilla whose edges have been pinched into a sort of raised border to hold in the toppings (sauce, meat, cheese, etc.). I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's sort of like calling her "pizza-face".
 

All I could find for "garnacha" was grape, and I didn't think Alicia would call her a grape! Thanks!
 

Another dictionary I use is the big Harper Colins. Good at giving words from different areas of the Speaking world. I also have STREETWISE SPANISH DICTIONARY/THESAURUS Mary McVEY GILL and Brenda Wegmann......Mcgraw Hill. Lots of these idioms I hear on Fea. Teeth braces is frenos or bracas?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder