Monday, August 07, 2006

Heridas de Amor, August 7

Friends, I will be away from the blog for the next two weeks teaching singing at Village Harmony summer singing camp for grownups. Our new pinch-hitter will be recapping the next two Mondays, and I'll be back after that...

From last week: Squeaky (Renata) sends cute Mr. Poor-But-Honest packing. Miranda pouts upon seeing Alejandro plant a kiss on Bertha (in exchange for borrowing that made-in-China necklace). Although I could try caring about Miranda's hurt feelings, really all I noticed was her perfect lipstick. She's going to have to work mighty hard to win me back.

  • Pamela reviews: because her mother's illness is hereditary, she is afraid she herself will end up hearing voices, all alone in a mental hospital. Miranda offers feeble comfort: "we'll come visit you." Pamela says she doesn't think she'd love an adopted child. This gets Miranda talking about her grisly plan: she'll adopt Flor's baby and marry Fab, the widower, when Flor expires.

    When Pamela seems taken aback by this outburst, Miranda counters bitterly: "Oh woe, Julio is a crook, my sister is dying, she married my sweetheart, Renata is a pain in the butt, and Bertha and Alejandro are lovers, cut me some slack here!"

  • Alejandro's flirting escalates as he calls Bertha pretty, smart, passionate, and funny - then asks: "how well did you know my father?"

    Bertha: "Your mother and my sister Fern were school chums. Suddenly your parents (Alfredo and his first wife) married. When Fern met Alfredo, oh how sexy he was, a gentleman, so strong (Bertha drools a little, remembering). She fell in love.

    "When your mother got cancer, Fern thought she'd take her place at your father's side, next to you ... our dad was going to send her to Europe to study, but since she wouldn't stop thinking about Alfredo, he married her instead (to Gonzo). It ended in tragedy and it was all Fern's fault.

    Later this conversation continues. Alex: "My mother knew she was being betrayed?" "Of course, and it hastened her death. ... it wasn't your father's fault, he loved your mother." Concerning a more recent part of the mystery, Bertha queries: "At Flor's wedding Daira said she married Alfredo, but I know that can't be true, because I saw Alfredo dead." She makes googoo eyes at Alejandro as he leaves and asks to exchange telephone numbers. She gets another kiss.

  • Gonzo and Fern have a disjointed exchange. G: "If you won't give me a divorce, at least let's call a truce." They talk about Flor's situation. F: "I wish I could give her my life," G: "I always loved you, you and our children, that was my idea of happiness - and you betrayed me - now you must pay."

  • Cesar eggs on Marcos and brother: "Do exactly as I say and you'll get your money back." He suggests they round up all the investors who have money in Gonzo's business and get Gonzo charged with fraud. "But keep my name out of it." He thoughtbubbles that the brothers are beasts and all they will achieve is more misery for their own father.

  • Amparo and her brother Francisco are buying onions, etc. "So what if the economy is bad? Hungry Mexicans will never resist a taco!" Did he then say, "With closed eyes the flies don't come in" ??

    In comes the son who was reamed by Squeaky. He has certainly taken umbrage. "Why do the rich humiliate us? When we're poor they think we're delinquents."

  • I can't bear to blog the idiot immaturity that is Miranda mooning over Fab. She tells Pamela that Padre Santiago's sister was Alejandro's mother. I suppose this will be important at some point.

  • Alejandro yells at Dayra. "How could you and Fernanda screw up like that? How could you tell Bertha you married Alfredo? Now she wants to know everything and we're at risk. And Fern seems reluctant to help [with my plan to destroy Gonzo]."

    Pointing out that Fernanda might not want her own daughters ruined this way, Dayra counsels: "Give it up. To destroy the love between parents and children is a crime." Al asks if the things Bertha told him were true. "Did you actually believe that woman?" "What she said jibed with my memories of Fernanda always being at my father's side." Dayra says he should ask Fern, she'll tell him the truth.

    Changing the subject, Dayra asks about Miranda. Alejandra feels very discouraged. Miranda is impossible and still in love with Fab. "And then just when I have my hands around Gonzo's neck he offers Miranda to me on a platter!" Dayra says he should abandon vengeance and go with love. "If I mess around with Miranda, it will just be to get even with Gonzo." Dayra says to his departing back, "No, your fate is to love."

  • Rebecca, with a dustmop glued to her skull, holds hands decorously with Julio on the sofa. "I can't believe my son Cesar took everything away [what did he take?], now I don't know what to do." "At least we're together."

    Cesar catches them kissing, says it's ridiculous for old people to be necking, and demands that Julio leave. He says it's Julio's fault that he (Cesar) was run out of the company like a thief, and that Julio smells bad and even his own sons can't stand him. "Stay away from mommy!"

    Later Rebeca says "From now on, Cesar, please don't come here. You have your own apartment." He says both places are his. Mom: "What happened to you? You were such a cute baby..." Her sniveling recollections jog his memory: "I remember, Doc "Fernandez" is actually Fernanda, my godmother!" Gee, she was godmother to an awful lot of kids.

  • Miranda enters the house and finds herself looking down the snout of the evil dog Lucas. She tells Bertha: "Flor's coming back and is allergic to animals, the evil dog has to go." Bertha is happy to hear about Flor's pregnancy and says: "No wonder you're so bitchy, Flor's going to have the baby you wanted to have, hah-hah-hah."

    Bertha sics Lucas on Miranda - he tears pieces out of her dress! "I'll tell Daddy!" Bertha tells Lucas: "We are an invincible pair."

  • Francisco's two nice sons mull over their encounters with the rich bitches. "They have bodies of angels and souls of devils." The third brother, Raul, is in Sanson's gang - he was one of those who robbed Squeaky and Lasagna.

    Amparo and Francisco come in with Fern (who is godmother to the two nice sons) and with big bags of stuff. Joel works in the Doc's shelter, and Juan (he who got reamed by Squeaky), who works in the hospital, will have more responsibility rehabilitating patients in the shelter starting tomorrow.

    Raul enters with even more big bags of stuff. Francisco asks where he got the money and he says a teacher paid him to look for things in the HEMEROTECA, he spent all day looking for info and didn't even go to class. "Hemeroteca? What's that?" Nobody ever tells us.

    Amparo is so happy that Raul brought cereal and deodorant. What a thoughtful guy!

    The viejos go to bed and Joel and Juan yell at Raul. He shouldn't buy deodorant with stolen money. It turns out, Raul says, that he DID buy the stuff with money from a teacher - Sanson actually did not give him any of the money from the robbery - it had just been his "initiation," he'll get a percentage next time. "There won't be a next time or we'll run you out of the house, better the olds should suffer once than die of anxiety every time you walk out that door." After the good brothers stomp away, Raul squeezes out a tear and paws Lasagna's credit cards. "No address! I'll never find you again. I wish I'd met you some other way." You think?

  • Miranda is brooding in her bedroom, yet again, over Fab's despicable "Wait for me!" remark.

    I like these new green flashbacks to things that happened only a few minutes ago - they cut down on the amount of recapping!

    Gonzo comes in and reassures her: if Bertha's dog chomps on anybody again, the both of them will get their marching papers. More unbearable sulking from Miranda. Gonzo reviews his troubles. They mutually wonder if they're being punished by God for their mistakes.

    Miranda what-a-baby says if she can't live her life by Fab's side, she'll have nobody. What about Alejandro? Oh, no, never.

    About the trouble at work, Gonzo lies and tells her everything's going to be fine in a couple days. She intends to hock the hacienda to bail him out.

  • Squeaky and Lasagna discuss their mugging. Lasagna says Squeaky is too hard on the poor, and then asks her to go to church the next day (Lasagna wants to see her uncle the Padre). "OK but after that we're going to the mall," bargains Squeaky. Lasagna dreams about the thief's beautiful eyes behind his mask!

  • Alejandro does some important international business via cellphone and asks "Nola" to find out how much Gonzo's hacienda is worth. He has a green flashback to a few minutes ago and rhetorically complains, "Miranda, you're ruining my plans!"

  • The tacos are selling like hotcakes outside the church when Lasagna and Squeaky (wearing, is it leopard-fur and striped capris cut down to the pubic bone? Is this the way we dress to go to church?) pull up - they are, remember, coming to visit the Padre. There is a big moment of recognition between the girls and the boys. Busted, Raul! Lasagna recognizes him with a languid, somewhat lustful eye.

  • Alone, Dayra is talking to some "Jorge" on the phone. "I can't leave, Alejandro is on this crazy vengeance kick. If love doesn't triumph..." The doorbell rings. It's the evil dog Lucas, come to bite her! Little bits of his anticipatory drool sully the marble floor!

  • At the office: all the clients are suddenly downstairs, demanding their money back! Cesar's plan worked! Alejandro appears and says: "You're in trouble with the bankers and investors..." and then a bunch of people show up and Gonzo is arrested for fraud.

Labels:


Comments:
Hemeroteca is a library archive for magazines and newspapers. I guess you would call it a "serials" section in US libraries. Very popular in the old days before google and academic systems like MUSE: Paper, microfilm and microfiche.
 

I've only been watching this a short time, but I've really taken a dislike to Miranda.

BTW, what is "nacos"? I've heard it recently in both Fea and Heridas, and it's not in my dictionario.
 

Never mind, I found a definition... it's roughly the Mexican equivalent of "redneck."
 

I think what Amparo said was "en boca cerrada no entran moscas" (flies don't go into an open mouth) which means "silence is golden" or if you keep your mouth shut you won't put your foot in it. This was the very first Mexican dicho I ever learned and I was very pleased with myself to recognize it. (I hope I was right.) Wonderful recap! In my own head I was calling Rebecca palm-tree head but her hair does look more like a mop.

One of my friends at work told me that in addition to redneck or rube, "naco" can also be a name or form of racist insult for Indian, indigena or person of browner skin.

Have a fabulous time at singing camp!
 

And also could refer derisively to the nouveau riche and anyone who does not measure up to the speaker's idea (often warped) of "classy." It's a loaded word for sure.

But in both contexts where I heard it (Squeaky and/or Lasagna yapping about whatever; Alicia complaining about Marcia and Fernando's imaginary fistfight), it did seem to mean "people without class" and not a racial insult.

So, HEMEROTECA is the periodicals section of the library. Okay. I kept reading that and thinking, "no, not homoerotica."
 

Thanks Julie, very interesting. I have a difficult time with those little nuances.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder