Monday, November 27, 2006

La Fea Más Bella #154 11/27/06

  • While Lety's wishing she could be somewhere else when Fern marries Marcia, Fern is writing his Card of the Day. He won't show it to Omar who says, 'When you die - because you're going to die before I do - I'll compile the "Anthology of Horrible Poetry written for Frightful Women" by Fernando Mendiola ... or better, "Anthology of Beautiful Poems for Horrible Women" ... at any moment, your parents are going to pop out of that elevator, better make sure Lety has that balance sheet ready.'
  • Marcia is scolding Alicia for provoking Tomas. "True, kissing Tomas was a horrible mistake. But YOU could help me! Lend me the money!" Alicia whines. Marcia says "I'm carrying all the expense of the wedding, have you got any idea how expensive this is?" "It gives me goosebumps just thinking how much my father paid for my wedding," shudders Alicia. "By the end of the week my bank account will be empty, I'd have to sell part of my shares of Conceptos to lend you money." "Oh, the problems of rich people," Alicia continues to whine. As Marcia continues to scold, Alicia indignantly asks, "Do you think I'm just going with him for the money?" As Marcia leaves Alicia decides it's a good idea and calls Tomas.
  • Fern slips into Lety's office with the Card of the Day and says he imagines it was hard hearing Marcia talk about the honeymoon. He asks Lety to read the card; she starts stumbling through it posthaste so he takes it away from her and, because this is the only part of today's show that many of you are going to like, I quote in full:

    "So much disagreement and misunderstanding, all I've suffered in recent nights, your defiance, your coldness, your strange kisses, seeing you with him, all have confirmed more than ever the decision to cancel my wedding. I need to be with you. [How long will they call each other USTED?] [He takes her hand.] I can't tolerate your absence, the absence of your kisses, of your body. Life has given me a hard challenge: just days before my uniting with a woman who was supposed to be my life - the true woman appears. You've changed me and I want to be with you every hour. It's a tough challenge but you appeared in time, before I fell into a disaster. I love you."

    Lety is speechless. Sadly - just then, from the other room: "MI AMORRRR!" Marcia is yelling! Fern's mother has arrived unexpectedly! "Just a minute," Fern calls, and asks Lety: "Is the balance sheet ready?" Lety's face falls. "Those beautiful words, just to get the false balance sheet. Pig!"
  • Fern kisses his mother, who asks how he's doing. "I'm uh, confused. I thought I'd see you tonight!?" "Your dad is busy with appointments and I was dying to see you. ... Cannes, we're so proud ... I want to help with the wedding..." Fern is so tense but says everything is fine. Ma wants a tour of the plantation so off they go.

    First they see Alicia and Fern is extremely rude to her, calls her "oxi," laughs about her impounded car - his hysteria consternates his mother.
  • The phone rings in Lety's office. It's Humberto, Fern's dad. She says she'll go find Fern and, passing Simon who (now that he's attended one computer class) is giving an exceedingly ignorant lecture on computers to the cuartel, arrives at Luigi's rehearsal.
  • Luigi is rehearsing with the girls. They have hats and he wants them extended smoothly but firmly. A new girl rushes in, Luigi throws stand-in Jazmin out of the lineup and out of the room: "We need the space."

    Irmita stumbles in, clearly losing it. He orders new costumes and a leotard for the new girl. Later Teresita tells Irmita she looks pale and needs a vacation. "I have no time now, but Luigi promised me a break after the production. I'll just hang out at home, I'm alone and that's how I'll die."

    Marcia, Fern, and ma Teresita come in. Luigi dotes on Teresita. Tenser than ever, Fern complains about the expense of the production. "He can't be your son, Teresita, he must have been switched in the hospital or adopted?" Luigi takes Teresita and Marcia to his office to show off the wedding dress.

    Fern, since it's bad luck for the groom to see the dress, stays behind and is swamped by the dancing girls. They ask "How soon are you getting married" and the odd answer is: "When you all visit Turkey."

    They are hanging all over him when Lety comes in with Humberto's message. Fern pretends to be showing them a better way to do their little dance (it was so funny). Lety once again says he doesn't have to explain anything. He asks her to tell his mom he's going to his office to call dad. This necessitates her visiting the wedding dress exhibition.
  • Don Erasmo and Tomas are hunched in the "office" (the corner of the kitchen) and Tomas is wondering what to do with the 540,000 pesos he made in his recent investment. Alicia calls and her sickening, cloying manipulation (culminating with "you don't think our friendship depends on your lending me this money do you? I'll go on alone as always...") results in Tomas thinking he'll "invest" the 500,000 in a loan to Alicia. What a bad credit risk... She says they'll get together, quietly, just the two of them, that very night. She is rolling her eyes as she says this, but he can't see that.

    As Tomas stumbles back to the "office" holding his cellphone close, the little tweeting canaries of love circling his head, Erasmo grumbles: "Why are you sucking on that vampire apparatus?" "I'm sending a kiss, via satellite, to my sweetheart." "You're too old for that."
  • Do you all have the awful commercial with the simpering, monstrous pie-faced girl with white and pink pigtails? She is worse than Luisito!!
  • Irmita asks Jazmin to help with Luigi's work, she's so tired, but Jazmin says she can't help, she has to devote herself to "Flaquito," (El Cheque), who is so tired and upset. There is a fight in the hallway with the spurned wife.
  • Lety is subjected to her next torture of the day when she sees Marcia in her wedding dress. I refuse to repeat the cruel things that are said to her, but she leaves and cries in the hall, telling herself to keep it together. Teresita asks Marcia: "Why are you so hard on Lety?" "She made appointments for Fernando with his other woman! I despise her."
  • Fern is stopped in the hall by Simon; the upshot is, "Now that I'm studying computation - which will not interfere with my messenger duties I assure you - perhaps you could consider adjusting my functions here." "Leave him alone," advise the feas.
  • Lety can't help hearing Fern's conversation with his dad - about the wedding of course - and the conversation about the groom's outfit. "Smoking jacket or tails?" Fern doesn't know or care but Marcia pipes up brightly, "I arranged for tails." "All the important people have accepted their invitations."

    Teresita is so into this wedding and tells Fern: "On your honeymoon, you'll leave the business behind and devote all your time to Marcia. The wedding is so important to ME. Your dad and I have waited so long for this union between the families - and it was the great desire of Marcia's parents, too... this wedding proves you've changed, you're president of the business, at the meeting you'll prove how well you manage things, you've become a responsible adult, you're marrying a marvellous women." He looks miserably over his shoulder realizing Lety is hearing it all. His mom tweaks his nose.
  • Tomas calls Lety and she shouts endearments into the phone. Tomas has called to ask her opinion about the money realized by his lucky investment. She says she absolutely can't think about it right now. He says he has a little investment in mind. She doesn't care - she just wants him to pick her up as soon as possible, it's been a really tough day. She makes it all sound like a very sweet exchange for Fern's benefit.

    Fern is eavesdropping intently. His mother says, "You're acting strangely. Hey, I came a long way, pay attention to me!" "I'm tense, mama." "Are you evading the wedding? Are you unsure about marrying? I hope it IS the business you're worried about and not something else - or SOMEONE else..." Fernando is impactado.

Labels:


Comments:
Wow! Thanks for the quick recap. I knew Fern had to be saying something pretty spectacular to cut through Lety's hurt & bitterness and let her soft, hopeful face appear again. Too bad he had to follow it up with a question about the balance sheets. Idiot!

And actually, thanks for not translating Luigi's tirade. He can be great comic relief, but I could tell by Lety's face & his tone that he was probably being especially vicious.

And I could smack Marcia. Granted, she thinks Lety is enabling Fern's cheating (little does she know), but it's still Fern doing the cheating! Fern is Lety's boss, so can't Marcia understand that even in normal circumstances Lety might feel obligated to cover for her boss? It's not right, but it probably happens a lot.
 

First off thanks for posting the recap. I missed today's show and I'm still studying Spanish so when I watch I usually only catch phrases or short sentences. I'm getting better though, watching this show definitely helps and I love Lety and Fer. Speaking of them AWWWWW to Fer's card. Wish I could have seen the look at Lety's face. I am pissed off that they were interrupted. Lety was finally beginning to crack. I personally think Fer should call off his wedding to Marcia, tell her the truth then kidnap Lety and get this whole thing straightened out.
 

I wanted to smack Fernando with that card..Finally, he's expressing his thoughts of love to Lety,but the last words out of his lying mouth as he's exiting the closet/office, is reference to the balance sheet..I hope the real balance sheet will be wrapped around his neck at the "big" meeting this week,along with Lety's resignation..She is so over qualified for that bunch of incompetent buffons..

How many more insults does our Lety have to put up with before she does the big smackdown..?After all, she owns Conceptos/Filmo Imagen all legal..

I'm going to have to calm down when I watch my favorite telenovela,or I'll going to have a stroke..Maureen,Ft. Myers
 

I agree with everyone regarding the beautiful sentiments of the card and then the ? about the balance sheet. The scary thing for me is that I'm beginning to dislike Fern(although I still love him). He is so weak and such a baby. Lety is too good for him, yet I think she's the only one that can save him from himself and he knows it.In a way, as things stand now and I hate to say it, Marcia and Fernando deserve each other.
Just a comment about the makeover issue: I hope and pray that Lety does not get a glamorous hollywood type of make over. She is beautiful as she is and has the love of her family, the cuartel, Fernando and all her devoted fans. What would be the point of a makeover?
Just a question:
When does the La fea end for us,( the version we are all watching now)?
Thank you recappers, your work is so appreciated
 

Thanks so much Melinama for the word for word translation of the card! I love to hear the translation of the conversations, even if the words are not so nice. It's so frustrating not to understand what is being said when it's obviously very tense.
The card was so beautiful! Lety was ready to melt into his arms until that awful interruption.
Fernando's mother and Marcia are so much alike, even in looks. I wish Fernando would just snatch up Lety and leave them all!
Carrie L.
 

Once again MANY THANKS for the quick recap. Good job. I watched the show but cannot understand much of the dialogue. That card was so beautiful. No wonder Lety's mouth dropped.

I'm still crazy about Fernando no matter what he does. It is extremely hard to go against your family and society's expectations and will take great character to do so. Fernando is building up to that.

In my opinion, Lety is in desperate need of a makeover. Even though her family and friends love her as she is, she will still have to deal with the rest of the world and looks do count. She doesn't need a glamour shot makeover, but one that keeps a natural look with her hair down and a little makeup, eyebrows under control, and contacts. The clothes need to all be burned and some simple yet elegant ones to take their place.

Connie
 

Wow, great recap. I still need to watch the show, but as always got way more from this recap.

Fern cajones are in the fire and that is why the balance sheet is never far from his mind. He's really botched things up with Omar's "invaluable" help. That is why he can romance Lety with the truth (though she is ignorant of this fact) but still be thinking of that damned spreadsheet.

Angelica Vale is so cute. I agree with the comment that she should not be made up glamourous. With her the best look is cute, cute, cute...with just the right make up and cute clothes. I would hate it if they gave her a glamourous everyday look. She'd be look too Marcia-like.

P.S. Marcia's face does look pretty squirrel-like.

Stacey
 

I would like to have comments translated even if they are negative so that we can understand all of what is going on. It will make it even sweeter when the nasty ones receive their just rewards. Luigi so hates anything ugly do you think something might happen to his looks during the show? Years ago when I was really angry with my sister I would tell her she was fat because I had never had a problem with that. One year I gained 50 pounds and I have thought many times of the cruelty of my comments. Perhaps Luigi needs to walk in some ugly shoes for a while?

Connie
 

Though I love most everything about this show, I do think Luigi's cruelty is too beyond the pale. Just too too unrealistic! I know his artistic talent is needed and he intimidates everyone, but in this day and age, people just don't say and do things like that without people tossing them out. Alicia says some horrid things to the cuartel, but the cuartel gets back at her everytime. They do not tolerate it.
Maybe they could set up a sensitivity training session at Conceptos and everyone will have to attend and role play.
 

Never mind calling each other "usted," how about the way Fern signs his cards with his full name? That cracks me up. Talk about an obvious setup for plot convenience!

End date... I *think* right now the Mexican show is scheduled to end in February, so we would be looking at an end date in May. But I'm not sure about that. They've extended it at least twice and it's hard to keep track. They must be offering a LOT of money for these extensions, because many of the people involved (Rosy Ocampo and several actors) were already expressing eagerness to move on to other things months ago.

I don't think we get the ad with the girl with pink and white pigtails, unless you mean the one for Comcast or Dish with a little girl... she has ponytails and I think there is a pink streak, but I'm not sure about white. I HATE that ad, but I'd rather watch that one ten times than see the Emagrace Slim ad once.
 

I didn't pay much attention to last night's episode, but among Luigi's unkind comments, he called Lety a platypus (ornitorrinco). Marcia and/or Luigi insinuated that Lety didn't really need to be in the room at that time and that she was just looking for gossip. Luigi made it a point to let her know that she wasn't invited to the wedding. Just before running out the door in tears, Lety meekly said she had other plans for that day.
 

Thanks so much for translating the card - I too was a bit lost.
Re Luigi, please people, grow a cajone or two and stop kissing his ass. And, excuse me, Luigi, do you own a mirror? The 80s called and wants their dipped in bleach mullet-like tail back. Simon, that goes for you too.
Fern's parents ought to be ashamed for putting that much pressure on him - his happiness doesnt even occur to them.
I think Marcia is scary looking.
 

Thanks for smacking Marcia..She's just as evil to Lety and her friends in the office as Luigi,Alicia,Omar,and anyone else I can't name at this moment..Marcia is so insecure about her relationship with that womanizer,Fernando,that she put the "Oxi" in the front there to monitor Fernando's calls,comings & goings,but failed to see what was happening in the closet/office..I was hoping yesterday as Marcia was modeling the wedding dress that Luigi would cinch the waist so tight she'd stop breathing..Her just "dessert" is coming soon,I hope.
 

Angelica Vale is so cute and sooooo talented from being a fabulous singer to comedy & drama..She's a great impersonator of the various celebs in Mexico..She's been a regular on "La Parodia' on Univision airing each Saturday,but lately not part of the cast--too busy with LFMB. She inherited her talent from two famous parents..
 

I think the make-over vs. no make-over question is really interesting. To me what matters is whether or not Lety herself wants one. (I know she's fictional, but you know what I mean). If she is happy with her appearance, then fine. If she wants to make some changes, fine. But she shouldn't have to change just to meet a cultural standard or make viewers happy.

Which of course begs the question...why does she stick with the look she's got? Because she does like it? Because she's afraid of changing or thinks it pleases her parents? Or she's really just clueless and would like to change if she could...?

Of course Lety is fictional and someone is deciding what she wants, so my guess is that they'll decide to make her "culturally appropriate." I say get Fernando some nerd glasses and short ties and make him "feo" instead of making Lety beautiful. (Of course he could never ACTUALLY be feo, but you know...)
 

I simply can't stand that pig Luigi. Who the hell is he to carry on like he does? And ph please a choreagrapher and a wedding dress designer/fitter I don't think so. Can't wait for him to get his especailly after the crack about Letty and the wedding.

I really felt sorry for Fern he looked so miserable when he was looking at the picture of himself and Letty. It is his own fault. All he has to do is say the wedding is off I love someone else but he just lacks the guts.

And I swear I keep hearing MARCIAA and moaning about mi coche in my sleep. Oxi needs a good and permanent case of larangitis.
 

Well, Lety tried to get a makeover earlier, but she picked out the wrong advisers (her mom and the neighborhood beautician). Since it didn't work out so well, she concluded that pretty things weren't for her. It might be a while before she is willing to try it again, especially since she's now using her appearance as a weapon against Fern. :-)
 

I think a clue to Lety’s future makeover is in the short swimming pool sequence at the end of each episode. I see no rectangular eyebrows on her. Not much clothes either.

And why would a girl of her age wear such outdated clothes anyway? Wanting to be just like her Mom is not a healthy sign of independence. And isn’t she becoming quite sneaky? Is she taking lessons from the beautiful Alicia? I cringed at her cruelty to the suffering Fernando although it is true he is being a bit of a ‘candy’ right now.

However overall, even though Lety is a little strange, most men (except the Luigi/Omar types) would like her as she has a good personality.

Thanks very much for taking the time to give us the English summaries. I am taking the Destinos Spanish videos and La Fea is a great supplement as they use much more Mexican slang/idioms.
-Dave
 

Julie, thanks for reminding me of Lety's earlier attempt at a makeover. I forgot about that--the awful green blazer and black polk-a-dots! Poor thing. It looked like a fashion no-no I'd make. Remembering it made me laugh.

I think that we all fall into fashion ruts regardless of whether it is a great look or not. Geez, the sales clerk had a hard fight getting Tomas to wear his neckties at the right length! Wished she had strangled him.

Anyway, I think Lety will change her look in the end. She has one failed attempt under her belt and as Julie (I think it was Julie) pointed out, she is only staying "fea" to get revenge on Fern as a "fea." In real life I think most of us would go the opposite route, get glammed up and make the bast**d sorry he ever let us go.
Stacey
 

If you ask me, Alicia could stand a new look. Her legs look huge in those tight short skirts and it's the old fashioned idea of what sexy looks like - instead of a more modern knee length pencil skirt which is alot sexier. It's like everyone has already seen the goods, so where is the excitement. And don't even get me started on the boobs spilling out. It looks like she has a basket of puppies velcroed to her chest.
 

I just found this website about a month ago. Before I had to wait until I got to work the next day to get the translation from my Spanish speaking co-workers. I wish there were sub titles.
I really love this novela.

Does anyone know if Ariel really did see Lety & Fernando when they were at the "retreat". I thought that Ariel saw them kissing. If he did, why hasn't he said anything yet.
 

> instead of a more modern knee length
> pencilskirt which is a lot sexier

Please Alicia, never switch styles…

> It looks like she has a basket of puppies
> velcroed to her chest.

Well ya, but it allows her to put useful things in there like cell phones, etc.
-Dave
 

I would SO love to see Luigi wearing "ugly shoes", meaning looking ugly and being laughed at!
I would love to see Lety stand up to all of them!
I think Alicia's look is perfect for her part. She's very "Jessica Rabbit".
Marcia definitely does have a "squirrel" look. I hate how mean she is to Lety.
Why oh why can't she put the blame where it really lies with that handsome Fernando?
I think the perfect look for Lety is the white clothes she wore at the resort, her hair down and natural, and eyebrows tweezed and just a little pink lipstick! I think she is naturally very pretty.
Carrie L.
 

The 2010 discussion for Capitulos 153 & 154 is at this link.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder