Tuesday, January 04, 2011

La Fea Más Bella #153-154 1/4/11 But then I go and spoil it all by saying stupid like, "Is the balance done?"

Capitulo 153.
Read Julie’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Alicia gives Tom three small kisses then lies down and fakes snoring to get rid of him.

2. Lety tells her diary that she needs to get away because she can’t resist Fernando anymore. He seemed so sincere, and if she didn’t know better from the letter she would have fallen into his arms again.

3. Marcia tells Fern that she’s been patient (because they haven’t been intimate for some time), but she expects that after the Cannes event, the meeting, and the wedding, the pressure will be off him and he’ll get “ella” out of his head. She holds up a negligee to remind him what else she’s expecting after the wedding, but she drops it (not a good sign). He agrees that after the meeting he’ll be rid of a lot of pressures (truer words were never spoken).

4. Lety asks Pop to prepare a full accounting for Filmo Imagen. She tells herself that she might return it to Fernando very soon. Tom tells Lety about his date. She tells him to be careful; Alicia is capable of anything to get his money. Tom ponders just how far she might go.

5. Marcia brags about her honeymoon in front of Lety and the witches. Lety cries in her office because the reality of the wedding is closing in on her.

6. Fernando remembers PG’s words, “If the company is the most important to you, you’re lost.” He tells Omar, “I want to stop making one mistake after another. I don’t want to marry Marcia.” Omar asks if it’s April Fool’s Day. He looks around for Alan Funt.

7. Omar lays out his view of Fernando’s problems, and he paints it pretty accurately. See the transcript. He says that Fern stopped relations with Marcia after he slept with Lety, and Lety has changed his life. Fern denies it and says it’s the pressure. Omar asks if, given the opportunity, could he perform with Lety. Fern says to himself, “I would be reborn if I could make love to Lety again,” but he tells Omar no.

Caro can see that Lety is sinking. Caro says she needs to take time for herself in this crisis. Caro suggests a vacation after the meeting, except that she has to fill in while Fern is away. Lety says she doesn’t want to be there for the wedding. Caro’s look seems to indicate that Lety just confirmed her suspicions, that Lety’s crisis is Fernando. But maybe not – Caro says Lety can’t miss the wedding. Her lack of support would almost sour the day. Lety answers, “No, it will be the happiest day of his life, and nothing can change that.”


Capitulo 154.
Read Chapel Hill Fiddler’s original recap, then come back here to discuss it.

1. Fern refuses to show Omar his card. Lety reads it without feeling, so he recites it from memory. (See the transcript on the original recap.) He’s more convinced than ever of his decision to cancel the wedding. Life has given him a tough test, sending the true woman of his life right before his wedding to another, but it came before he fell into disaster and he wants to be with her all the time. Lety is speechless.

2. Ali asks Marcia again to redeem her car, but Marcia says that she has to pay for her own wedding, and she’s zeroed out her bank account.

3. Lety is deeply moved and shaken by the card. Fernando just might have broken through. But then he asks, “Is the balance ready?” Lety says to herself, “Beautiful words in exchange for a doctored balance. Pig!”

4. Ali calls Tom to seductively set up another date for tonight, and of course she mentions her car. Tom gets an idea that he could make her a loan from FI as an investment.

5. Lety finds Fern amid a bevy of dancers, and he covers just like he does with Marcia. Then, looking for MamaT (Teresita), she walks in on Marcia wearing the wedding dress, and it knocks the wind out of her. Marcia and Luigi are abusive to her, and she runs into the hall to cry, while Fern moons and mourns over their picture together.

6. MamaT suggests that maybe Lety is in love with Fernando. Marcia answers no, it’s that Lety is the enemy of her marriage, and she’s arranged and hidden Fern’s trysts. Marcia says she hates Lety.

7. MamaT gushes to Fern about the wedding and how much it means to her. She says the wedding and the board meeting will demonstrate that he’s a responsible mature adult. Fern sweats for Lety who overhears all this. Tom calls and Lety makes sure Fern hears her gushing on the phone. When the door is closed, Lety confesses that she can’t take it anymore, and she begs Tom to come get her.


Spanish Lesson

Omar's the Smartest One in the Room. (Now that's a scary thought!)
O: So that cretin is seducing your Lety with your money, and your car. Why not loan him your house?
F: (to self.) I won’t give him the chance to mock my feelings for Lety. (Aloud.) I don’t know why you say she’s ‘mi Lety.’
O: Why? Did you already lose her?
F: I don’t know. Last night she didn’t even want to give me a kiss.
O: You’re a mess. You should join a monastery. You seduce a fea, after that you can’t make love with your official novia. Then the fea rejects you, and you stop taking out the models and dancers. You’re completely celibate. … Lety betrayed you with the feo de la colonia, and to solve the problem, you want to cancel your wedding with the owner of the company!
F: This has nothing to do with Lety.
O: Of course it does! For her you’d give your life. Don’t tell me you wouldn’t. You follow her everywhere. You make big jealousy scenes.
F: No, no, it’s not that. Marcia is doing all this wedding stuff. I felt like a fool. I didn’t feel a thing. She’s all excited and it’s a farce. I’m about to marry a woman I don’t desire. .. and I don’t love. I haven’t desired her for a long time.
O: Correction. You stopped desiring her when you slept with la mostrete. You’re confused because you refuse to accept that Lety is changing your life. She completely destroyed your intimate life. Look in a mirror. You’re (song) ugly, tired, ojeroso, y sin ilusiones (bags under the eyes, without dreams). You’re mowed down by an attack of jealousy or something.
F: NO! It’s the fault of the company. So many threats, and the co is in the hands of that ingrate and the cretin. Isn’t that enough to change my life? To suppress my sex appetite?
O: I can see that that could happen. I just have one last question. If right now, Lety was willing to go to bed with you, what would you do? Just a few days ago you told me you proposed it to her. So with her, could you? Would you make love with Lety?
F: (To self.) I would be reborn if I would make love to Lety again. (Omar snaps him back to reality. Fern covers.) No, no, I don’t think I could.

Labels:


Comments:
Diann, in answer to your question from yesterday, yes, we are clearly heading toward a climax. Stay tuned!

Fern tells Marcia, “After the meeting, I’ll be free of various pressures.” Too true. Marcia thinks he means one thing - the pressures of the meeting, etc. Fern thinks he means another - he’ll have convinced them with the doctored balance, and he’ll have secured the presidency. But in reality, he’ll be free of much, much more.

I think I caught two bloopers (hack 30:00 on the disks). Note, Camil OFTEN strays from the script. When he’s with someone who can keep up with him he will stray pretty far (e.g. with the actress who played his mother in Tontas – they were magical together). With someone less quick witted he’ll play it closer to the script but still change wordings to fit into his mouth better. And Augie Arana who plays Omar OFTEN fumbles his lines or reads Fernando’s lines by mistake, then he sits there like a deer in the headlights until Camil rescues the scene. This blooper happens when Fern is in Omar’s office.
F: .. because they are “reconciliado.”
O: O sea (you mean) hace contentaron. [Arana is telling Camil he got the word wrong.]
F: That’s what “reconciliaron” means, animal! [Camil sets him straight.]
O: But what’s happening here is.. [Arana gets stuck and glances at the teleprompter.]
F: No! “what’s happening” is what I’m going to say. [Camil is saying, “No, that’s my line, not yours.]
But then it takes Camil three tries to pronounce “logicamente.”
 

It's the clownfish tie!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!
 

Paula,
And I thought all of Omar's blundering was part of the character!!
Disappointed to see Maaarcia in her wedding dress. Remember the physic guy told Lety "there is a woman who can't put her wedding dress on" They previously showed Maaarcia getting out of dress fittings, or eyeing her dress, this always accompanied by maudlin music. So sad to see Lety see M wearing it.
These 2 caps were most certainly filler. Yes, I can see some of the set up for future caps, but WAY TOO much junk, (dancers, Luigi, Simon) I kept waiting for something to happen. The only good part was the card in Lety's office, and that was too short.
I also was hoping Omar was going to get the truth out of Fern. Omar sees it, he told Fern exactly whats going on with him (he's pretty intuitive of his BFF). But dumbo Fern denied it, thinking Omar would make fun of him.
The previews for tomorrow: looks like the story is going to move along....Finalmente, Paula? Solomente, Si o No.
Diann
 

Hi Paula. Thanks again for all your work on this. I agree these were a couple of filler episodes but I was glad I watched it more closely. I always catch something I missed before. When Fernando is getting off the elevator with Marcia and all the cuartel and Lety are standing there, I could never figure out what he was saying. I finally figured it out.
He was making a refrence to a famous socker player named Rafael Marquez. "Rafa Marquez places the ball and prepares for the shot over the barrier." For some reason I just thought that was a funny little scene.

Loved your title Paula. Fernando really isn't very good with his timing. That letter was so perfect and was just about to work for him until he asked about the balance. And thanks Julie and Melinama for the orginal recaps.
 

I haven't been watching this, just reading the recaps until I was off at Thanksgiving and then again for the Christmas holidays. I am alternately amused, sadden, and ready to gag Alicia during this TN. That woman's voice could grate a carrot better than a peeler. Seeing Lety so sad today brought tears to my eyes. Only when she is gone will Fernando finally realize she is the love of his life. Right now all he can think of is the sex thing since he's so used to getting plenty. The man needs to grow up!!!!
 

Well, maybe I built up too much hype in my teasers. Both yesterday and today, people said they felt like it was filler, while I thought the caps very intense. Sure, we have the boring cuartel stuff, but also some important progress.

We are in the midst of about three weeks of significant developments leading up to the climax. Think about how they present a fireworks show. The explosions start one by one, and then they get to the point where you have three bursts at a time, and that's exciting. But you don't get to the part where everything is exploding at once, until the end. So don't expect the big explosion tomorrow. But I guarantee, there will be some exciting stuff almost daily until we get to the climax. And yes, the climax is coming. But not tomorrow.

Also remember, we still have 145 episodes to go. We're blessed with a climax in the middle of the story instead of everything getting pushed to the end.

Look at all that has happened in the past week or so.
1. Lety took the cuartel to Le Noir, making a statement loud and clear that this is war.
2. Fernando treated Lety horribly at Meson, she trounced him on every point, outside he almost broke down her wall, but then she rejected him cold. Very cold!
3. In the cave, Lety made it clear that her price for the balance was that he cancel the wedding.
4. Fernando is starting to nut up, seriously! That scene at her door yesterday where he was so intense, and he almost broke through. His deep emotion when he admitted that he hasn't been able to touch anyone else. And Lety almost believed him.
5. Today, boy oh boy, where do I begin? Lety starts to break from the stress. Fernando tells Omar he doesn't want to go through with the wedding. Lety's growing determination to get away. Omar nails Fern's position, precisely. Fern's reaction when Omar asked, "If Lety was willing, THEN could you?" Fernando's promise in writing to cancel the wedding.

So my advice, Diann? Relish that feeling of anticipation. Get in, hang on, and enjoy the ride!
 

The tension builds deliciously and/or unpleasantly during this period, but I agree there was way too much filler when we were watching one episode a day. They knew everyone was dying to see what would happen in the next few story-days, with the Cannes event, Big Meeting, and boda, and they streeeeeeetched out the waiting period to torture us!

However, with two hours a day it's not so bad. There's plenty of good stuff in there, nestled among all the cuartel and rehash scenes. And I agree that the payoff is worth the wait.

Also, on a not completely unrelated note, this period also includes my absolute favorite dream sequence of ALL TIME, EVER.
 

I forgot to comment on, what I think may be significant, the card signed "Fernando Mendiola". Right away I thought Oh Boy someone is going to find this and there will be proof positive of Fernando's feelings about Lety. Especially since he signed his whole name, like a legal document or something.
I am hoping Ms. Maaaarcia gets a good look at that card!!!!! (Sooner or later)
Diann
 

Julie,
Dream sequence? All time favorite? Thanks, you've just made my anguish even more so.:) I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't want......AAAAAAGGGGG
Diann
 

Ooops, that last one was also, I can't wait
Diann
 

When it is over I feel so sad. Both Lety and Fern are suffering and I feel for both of them. I don't agree that nothing is happening. There have been major developments in the last couple of weeks. And then there have been wonderful comic moments from Jaime Camil -- as well as that beautifully expressed pain on his face as he ponders why he is losing Lety.

Güera from Syracuse
 

LOL Diann!

I don't want to overstate it or raise your expectations unrealistically, especially with the dream sequence since our tastes may not be the same. And let's keep in mind that we're only halfway through, so it's not as though all your questions will be answered! But I still remember how much I enjoyed this phase.

I appreciate the mid-story climax because it explores the consequences of Big Stuff in a realistic way. In most other telenovelas, you wait for months and months while the suspense builds, but it's fairly uncommon to get a major midstory climax. All the Big Stuff happens at the very end, followed by a speedy resolution and then you are rushed out the door. FIN! And it all takes place within an hour or two.

Puh-lease. If you went through all the things that one of those characters goes through in the final hour of a telenovela (kidnappings, car chases, criminal trials, murders, great fortune, etc.), you wouldn't just become a new person overnight. And you'd be quite shaken up - even if everything that had happened was good. You'd have plenty of story left in you!

(To be fair, lots of telenovelas start off with Big Stuff, but that's just a plot device to get the story going. It's different when you've been hanging out with the characters for several months and actually feel invested!)
 

I just want to clarify, even though I think there has been alot of filler, for me even two minutes of the cuartel,Lola/Yasmin/Paula, is a lot of filler.

I really have been looking forward to these episodes. They are some of the best TN chapters ever IMHO. Fernando and Lety have the best chemnistry. First as boss and employee, then as co-conspirators, as lovers and even now with all this tragic stuff happening. They are always fun to watch. I may be FF>> alot of the caurtel, but in the same hour I may also be rewinding several times to catch all the subtle nuances I missed before. And again Paula thanks for having this great post for all of us fea fans. I missed it the first time around and am so glad I am not missing it this time.
 

I confess, I have an ulterior motive in hosting this board. I discovered Fea only 15 cap's before the finale, so I never really got much of a chance to participate in the Caray discussions. I bought the complete series on DVD (300 hours) and enjoyed it, but I always regretted that I couldn't discuss it with the Caray board. So when it reran, I wanted to host this board to generate a community with whom I could enjoy it. And here you are!
 

Well, I had an ulterior motive too, when I started recapping this thing. I wanted someone to take pity on my ignorance and explain all the scenes I wasn't able to understand well enough to recap. It seems like a million years ago!

And the discussion this time around is very different, too. So it's like getting to have the whole experience twice.
 

I'm glad to be watching the show too. I remember when it aired the first time it seemed like it went on forever. I was glad I gave it up. The double episodes are sometimes hard to manage but it sure makes the story move along at a faster pace. I can't wait to see Julie's favorite dream sequence!

Thanks to all the recappers and contributors.
 

LOL Paula, now I will have to go back home and rewatch that to see the bloopers again before I make room for tonight's eva...
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder