Friday, February 16, 2007

Duelo de Pasiones, Thursday February 15 - Luba freaks out!

Alina and Luba, nursing the unconscious Emilio, were startled by a knock. It was only Vera. Luba asked her to put some powder in Thelma's tea. Vera was afraid to do it but finally agreed.

She took the tea to Thelma, who whined because there was no honey in it, then went to sleep. (Luba drugged her so she wouldn't go to Emilio's room during the night and discover Alina there.)

Vera went outside and saw Thelma's Aunt Rebeca sneakily discarding Thelma's red dress in a trash can. When Rebeca was gone, Vera retrieved the dress and decided to keep it, saying, "All the women will envy me."

Orlando went into Emilio's room, startling Alina so much that she broke a glass. Orlando assured her, "I've always respected you," and promised not to tell anyone she was there. "I don't want Thelma to humiliate you. Count on me for whatever you need. This will be our secret."

Jose got drunk and told Felicia, "You make me feel much better." He said he wanted to go to sleep, but Felicia kissed him. Of course, since this is a telenovela, Jose immediately hallucinated that he was kissing Mariana. He said, "Mi amor, it is you!" and started taking off Felicia's clothes.

The next day, Jose was upset and told Arcadio he hadn't meant for it to happen. Arcadio just laughed and said, "You are a man," that Mariana would never know.

Santos's mother, Carmen, told him he should stay far away from Maximo. Santos said he wanted to be near Rosita and would kill Maximo if he bothered her. Later Carmen told her friend Chela she was afraid Maximo and Santos would kill each other.

Thelma woke up from her drugged sleep and told Vera she would go see Emilio after she bathed. Vera raced to Emilio's room and warned Alina that Thelma was on her way.

Before leaving, Alina told Emilio, "I love you." To her surprise, he mumbled, "I love you too, Flor." Alina exclaimed to Luba, "Did you hear him? Emilio, open your eyes!" Luba had to drag her out of the room.

Then somehow Luba disappeared and Alina was alone in the hallway with Donkey/Tonqui/Don Quixote or whatever that dog is named. Hearing Thelma approach, she slipped behind a door to hide, leaving Tawnkee in the hall. It turned out she was in Angel's bedroom. He saw her but didn't say anything.

Thelma found the dog and went into Angel's room to ask, "Whose dog is this?" She didn't notice Alina standing behind her, plastered against the wall. Angel said it was Flor's dog and he would take care of it. Thelma snapped, "I don't like animals! I hate animals!" and left the room, leaving Dahnkey behind.

Angel told Alina he knew about everything (Emilio's illness, her almost-marriage to Emilio, etc.) He asked, "Do you think Emilio is going to be OK?" Alina admitted, "I don't know."

She said she loved Emilio with all her soul, then apologized to Angel for saying it. He said, "Don't worry about me," adding that he knew women like strong, macho men like Emilio.

After Alina left, Susi came into Angel's room wearing a tight white outfit. She said, "You look very sad." Angel replied, "How difficult it is to love a woman who loves someone else."

Thelma and Rebeca visited Emilio and heard him mutter, "Flor, I love you too." Thelma said, "Emilio, my love, it's me, Thelma." Emilio muttered, "I don't want to marry Thelma, no no."

Meanwhile, at Marianita's school: Marianita's friend Juanito was singing to cheer her up when she suddenly passed out.

Mariana visited Marianita in the hospital. Her doctor admirer (I'll call him Dr. Love) explained that Marianita was having a reaction to chemotherapy. Mariana said despairingly, "I've spent years listening to the same. The cancer keeps coming back. By God, what do I have to do?"

Back at Don Loco's hacienda, Adela told the suddenly-awake Soledad that Alina was alive. Soledad diagnosed, "Alvaro is loco," and Adela agreed. Soledad said she was glad that Alvaro thought she was loco, too. "I want him to suffer the way I've suffered. Will you help me?" Adela said, "Si, Señito."

(Wouldn't it be smarter for Soledad to try to escape from Don Loco's evil clutches? After all, Adela has the house keys... but I guess sticking around and pretending to be insane is a good plan, too.)

Later Soledad prayed for Alina's safety, saying, "I'm not important. What matters is that she is all right."

After learning from her father that Rosita was at home, Maximo went there and found her dancing while she swept the floor. He said, "Dancing and hard-working!" Rosita told him her father was at the hacienda. Maximo said he'd come to see her.

Meanwhile, Carmen was telling her friend Chela about her bad memories of Maximo. "Maximo was enamored of me. I did not want to give myself. I wanted to marry the good one, but this man no longer wanted to make me his."

In a flashback, she remembered waking up one night and hearing Maximo shouting outside her house, "Carmen, open this damn door! I found out you're seeing another man!" He broke into the house and shouted something like, "I wanted to do good for you, you didn't want it, now I'm going to do bad!" then raped her violently.

Remembering this, Carmen told Chela, "He is a bad man," that he lashed and kicked her when he found out she was pregnant. "And now my son is going to confront him. He's capable of doing harm to his own son." Chela said she should try to forget the past. Carmen said, "How can I forget? He marked me for life."

Back at Rosita's house, Maximo was telling Rosita that he loved her in a good way and wouldn't hurt her. Rosita protested, "I have a boyfriend and we love each other." Maximo sneered, "You love this starving Santos?" Rosita said yes, and Maximo grabbed her violently, yelling, "Then you are an idiot!"

Santos burst in, yelling, "Let go of her!" He said he was there to defend Rosita. Maximos laughed and said, "Defend her? You couldn't defend her from me." He left, cackling evilly and repeating, "Defend her! Hahaha!"

Later Maximo's good-looking minion Castulo offered to make Santos disappear forever. Maximo said not yet because if anything happened to Santos, suspicion would fall on him, so they would wait a little while.

Dr. Vasquez told Thelma that Emilio was much better, thanks to Luba's magical herbs. "This woman knows a lot." Later the doctor told Angel not to let Emilio know he was married to Thelma because that news could kill Emilio.

At the cave: Luba told Alina not to trust Emilio, all men were liars, etc. She reminded Alina that Emilio was married to "la tal Thelma" and she was pregnant. Gaspar, who had been napping, jumped to his feet and exclaimed, "I'm going to have a child?"

Luba snapped, "What stupid thing are you saying? Did you hear that, Flor?" Seeing the steam coming out of Luba's ears, Alina hastily left the cave, saying she was going to look for roots.

Gaspar asked Luba if simpletons' children were also simpletons. "Am I also going to have idiot children?" Luba shrieked, "Why the hell are you asking me that?" Gaspar said, "Tell me. Is my child also going to have a blow to the head?"

Pacing, throwing things, and screaming (very loudly) Luba said his children wouldn't be idiots, "You are a normal boy," and insisted that he wasn't going to have a child. Gaspar insisted, "I know it, I know it."

Luba demanded, "What is it you know?" and Gaspar said, "Senora Thelma is the little doll from the Devil's Cave. Her child is my child, Mama!"

Luba's mouth fell open. She knocked something over, breathing heavily and looking terrified, and said "No, it can't be." Gaspar said, "Si, Mama, si si." Luba roared, "I want you to tell me everything!" Gaspar said he tried to tell her before but she wouldn't listen. Luba hollered, "Now I am listening! Go ahead! Tell me!"

Gaspar told her about the Devil's Cave and his little doll. He finished, "And when I had her in my arms, my little doll said --" Luba interrupted, "Quiet! You don't have to tell me that!" She demanded, "Are you sure the little doll from the Devil's Cave is la tal Thelma?"

Gaspar said, "I know how to recognize. I recognize Florecita; Tonqui; you, Mama. I know who is who. She is the little doll, Senora Thelma is."

Luba said, "I tell you to be quiet!" It wasn't directly shown but apparently she slapped him. She snarled, "Don't repeat that! You're not going to tell anyone, do you hear? No one, because I'll kill you!"

Then she totally freaked out, kicking things and screeching, "I can't believe it, that you do this to me, I can't believe it, Gaspar!" Gaspar wisely chose to hide behind a piece of furniture.

(Luba was really spitting nails in this scene -- Don Loco would be proud. I know there's a lot of scenery-chewing in telenovelas, but I think Luba broke new ground. Along with a few vocal chords!)

Gasping and crying, she went to her picture of the Virgin Mary and said, "Forgive me, Mother." She hit herself on the head, saying, "It isn't fair, it isn't fair. I am a mother... Oh, what's happening to me? The hand burns me." (Because she hit Gaspar.)

She pulled herself together, wiped away her tears, and held out her hand to the cowering Gaspar, saying, "Gaspar, son. Come, sit down." Gaspar obeyed.

Luba knelt beside him and said, "Son, look me in the eyes. You are all that I have. I gave life to you." She said it hurt her to see him suffer, that he was a good man, and her hand burned because she had slapped his face. "I want you to know your mother Luba will defend you because you are more important to me than my life. Do you forgive me?"

Gaspar said, "Mami, Mama. I love you, Mamita," and they hugged, both crying. I think this was the best scene of the show so far.

polvos = powders
acomodo = job, arrangement
hacendosa = hard-working
fuetazo = lash
patadas= kicks
gallito = braggart
atolondrar = to confuse
raices = roots
cortina = curtain
vientre = belly, abdomen

(A question: Can someone explain why Adela always calls Soledad "señito"? It's not in my dictionary.)

Labels:


Comments:
Love your recap Carmel! Thanks.
 

Don Quiote! Ha that made me laugh! Dahnkey, etc. What fun!

Plus you put in everyones names, like the handsome Castulo! Very good!

Additionally I really liked your Gaspar and Luba scene. I could see what was happening in my mind like I had actually seen the show. Thank you!
 

Dear Carmel....thanks so much for listing those vocabulary words at the end. I seldom watch this telenovela (only have time for La Fea Mas Bella) but I read the recaps for help with Spanish.
I DID see the episode where she keeps saying "Senito" and I just assumed it was an affectionate shortening of "Senorita" and that she had known Soledad ever since she was a young girl. Sort of like saying "missy" in English. But hey, what do I know...I just started studying this language! Thanks again, Judy
 

Senito is slang for Senorita or Senora, but it's a shortened version. Just like Judy said the word would be translated in English as Missy or even Ms.

Additionally it isnt said in the feminine like Senita because cenita is "little dinner". Does that help?
 

Wonderful recap! I loved the scene between Gaspar and Luba. Those two have good chemistry.

About Emilioooo's looong coma...my theory is that Pablo Montero is such a bad actor that the director decided it was best to put him in a coma and keep him there for the duration of the show. Whaddy'all think? OK, probably not true, but a girl can dream.

Thanks for the clarification of "señito," I was wondering about that myself.

Hoorah! Three Day Weekend!!!
 

Sylvia, good thought! Remember how they sent Unibrow to Europe for a very, very long time?
 

Wow! I am glad I wasn't recapping this epi. There was tons of important dialogue and a lot of it was when people were shouting or crying which makes it even harder to understand.

When Santo's mom Carmen was recounting her rape by Maximo I thought she said that she wanted to get married (casarme por la buena), that is, legally by the church, etc. and she knew that Maximo just wanted to use her. When he comes in he refers to wanting her "the easy way or the hard way" (por las buenas or por las malas) and since she wouldn't accept him (the easy way) it would have to be the hard way. I could be wrong though--the confusing thing is both expressions use "buena" so maybe I misheard.

Interesting though that now he actually wants to marry Rosita. Either he's getting old and wants to make sure a pretty young thing is tied to him or he figures he can always step out to Edelmira's.

Also I couldn't catch the word that Luba was using while talking the picture of the virgin. I think you translated it as "it's not fair." It sounded like resulto or insulto (with an accent on the o) but I know it can't be either.
 

Aha, thank you all for the explanations of "senito"!

Margaret, I had a hard time figuring out Carmen's remarks about Maximo and what she meant by marrying "la buena," so I just guessed. Your explanation makes more sense.

About Luba's dialogue at the end, as I recall, the close-captions had her saying "no es justo," but maybe that was incorrect because the captions sometimes get things wrong. (Just ask Donkey/Tonqui.)
 

Carmel, thanks so much for the terrific (and fast) recap!

Max is a real creep. I was almost amused by him until I saw both how he attacked Rosita last night and how Santos’ mother was treated at his hands. Now I know we need to point him in the direction of the whirlpool with Thelma and Don Loco.

I love the idea of Soledad pretending to be loca, as her best revenge. Gives her license to do all sorts of stuff! Terrific! But, I hope she doesn’t lose that lovely soul of hers in the process. She doesn’t fight back enough to suit us, but she also didn’t have a mean bone in her body…..until now. I think she’s developed a couple.

Gaspar isn’t as damaged as they all think if he can figure out that tontos’ babies might be tontos, too. He’s making that connection and asking the right questions. (Well, it is telenovelaland. Maybe the writers don’t have any real experience with someone who has either TBI or cognitive disability. Writers do a lot of dumb stuff with roles for blind or deaf characters, too).

Carmel, I saw "no es justo," too. I thought it meant this just isn't fair! Good thing Luba lives in a cave or she'd have holes in her walls today.

Jeanne
 

Ah, of course, no es justo! (slaps head) I must have missed the "no es" part with all the sobbing and ranting.
 

(chuckle) She really was ranting and raving, wasn't she? Must be in the water there.

Jeanne
 

Wow--Intocable and Ana Martin are really getting the interesting scenes. Ana is going all out and over the edge in this show. She seems to be at the head of the line to play the parts of mamacito to the goodlooking hombres [Fernandooo in ''Amor Real'' and Intocable in this one.] I agree that they have some real chemistry . She really wailed into poor Gaspar in this episode. I mean, my mother was a yeller, but Ana was all over the guy. I think Donkey/Tonki was hiding somewhere.~~~Susanlynn
 

Yeah Ana Martin played a Mamacita type in La Madrastra too, which was a pretty well received novela as well.
 

I'm about a week behind on the novela and started reading your recap and couldn't stop it was so good! Thank you!

My dictionary says that "señito" is a term used by servants; I always wondered about it too...

:) Ruth
 

Writers do a lot of dumb stuff with roles for blind or deaf characters, too).

I totally agree I remember watching a novela where one of the characters was deaf and the actress was moving her hands around like sign language but didn't look like she was making sentences and everyone understood her. My hubby looked at the TV and said "she speaks terrible sign language for a deaf person"
 

Marycelis--

(grin) Yep, I have seen some pretty stupid stuff presented as if it was supposed to be American Sign Language. Hubby and I just shake our heads and roll our eyes. He had lots of deaf relatives growing up and he gets a little miffed with deaf characters presented so stupidly. Usually that means a hearing person was cast in the role instead of a deaf actor (and there are plenty of good ones, so it's no excuse). The Family Stone movie did a good job, though.

Jeanne
 

This was a really good episode. The Luba and Gaspar scene was great.
A few rhetorical questions came to mind:
1. Luba told Gaspar to tell her EVERYTHING, so Gaspar literally told her EVERYTHING. But then, why did she tell him that she didn't want to hear all the details?

2. How did Flor figure out that the room she went to hide in was Angel's? Or did she just pick some random room to get away from Nasty Thelma?

3. How did Santos' mom meet Máximo anyway?

4. Why was Max wiping his mouth with his handkerchief after coming back from Rosita's? It's not like Santos punched him in the mouth or anything. But he should have.

5. How come Alvaro always gets some young guy to play him in his flashbacks, but in Carmen's flashback, we get the same old Max? Are we supposed to believe that he looked the same 20 years ago? Maybe they could have put a mustache on Santos, curled his hair a little, and have him play Young Max.

Darn... The Máximo stuff was terrible but I still like and enjoy watching this character. They just need to stop dehumanizing him.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder