Tuesday, February 27, 2007

La Fea Más Bella #219 2/26/07 in which Fern plans to put an ocean between Marcia and himself.

OK, folks, this was a pretty dull episode, and I'm tired, so let's roll.

Tonight's first vocab word is guero - blond or fair. Tomas dyed his hair - not to look like Lorena Herrera (see right) or Cachirulo (anybody?) - but to resemble Aldo. "You look exactly like him," Lety lies cheerfully.

1. Another #$%^@ meeting.

Calling him pituca (stuck-up), Fern insists DomensaEEN doesn't belong meddling in the ad campaign. Fern's sarcastic, contemptuous enumeration of the glories of Mexican cuisine ("chalupas, tacos, all that...") causes Aldo to launch his usual blowhard monologue about the glories of Mexican cooking.

I have a comment about this: Aldo is extolling the virtue of food lovingly cooked at home, shared with family and friends. This is what Lety has had in her life. Her mother is a great cook and feeds her husband, daughter, and Tomas, lovingly. Dinnertime is sacred to her family, as Erasmo has told us.

Contrast this to what Fern must have experienced with Helmet-head. She was, no doubt, too rich to cook, and too cosmopolitan to care about homely foods of the pueblo. Fern is sarcastic because he didn't have this kind of nurturing and it's one more thing he's jealous of - and that he craves.

Fortuitously, Guillermo Andreu shows up. Although to me he looks like Cro-Magnon man, the cuartel shriek and drool over him.

PM announces in the meeting, "there's a man to see Lety," Fern groans, "aNOTHer one?" Guillermo announces that he's ready to sign on the dotted line but only if Aldo is made head of the project.

Fern, who is such a baby these days he should be sent to "time out", yells "what gives you the right to tell us what to do?" "My two million dollars. We could take our business elsewhere." Lety squelches Fern and accepts Guillermo's condition. Tomas gives a report on preproduction costs. Guillermo approves and says goodbye.

As Aldo is showing his friend out, Guillermo opines that Fern is "unstable." Heh.

In Aldo's absence, Fern rants: it's Lety's fault a taco maker is now in charge - where'd you find this guy? Chopping tacos of chapulín (locusts)? Caro crisply rehashes that, actually, Aldo is an internationally renowned chef etc.

Aldo returns, looks around, and benignly asks: "What's this silence? Have you been talking dirt about me? By all means, please continue."

Luigi says (again) he needs free reign to work his magic. Fern says the fair, etc., must serve to attract foreign investors as well as tourists; trips must be made to the U.S. and Europe to work out marketing channels etc.

After some wrangling, it's decided he will go to the US and Marcia to Europe, though she's angry there will be an ocean between them. They're told to get budgets together and give them to Tomas for approval.

Luigi asks how he'll get along without his executive producer - they point out Omar will be around to help Luigi. "OK, at least he's guapo."

Caro, who has done mostly sitting in this meeting, looks incredibly bored and irritated. Can you imagine how many tiresome hours these actors have had to spend around that conference table?

Fern leaves, hauling Omar out with him, to air his usual grievances against DomensaEEN. Caro leaves to have a talk with Marcia ("I know she's going to ask about my friendship with you.")

This leaves Aldo and Lety. She says she'd feared Fern's wish to expel Aldo would be a big headache "but then Guillermo, like a guardian angel, put things right. I would have fought for you - I need you here." "I'm at your disposal, and further, I'd like to take you to dinner." "I told the cuartel I'd eat with them." "When can you work me into your schedule? And - you look sad. Is it for Fernando?"

2. Another scene of Lola and the alimony.

While waiting with Sanchez for Señor Cheque to arrive, Lola has a little fantasy: that Efren takes her in his arms, kisses her and says he loves her, and begs her to forgive him, to take him back, so the family will be together.

She snaps out of it when he actually arrives saying "let's get this over with as fast as possible."

Cheque irritates the (female) judge who ends up awarding Lola hefty monthly checks. Cheque is frightened about telling Jazmin.

3. Another scene of Alicia the convenenciera scheming to get money.

While the cuartel complains that Alicia hangs up on callers and won't take messages, Simon arrives with a wad of messages for Alicia, from her creditors.

"Tell them I'm dead or moved to Indonesia." "Be strong, face your fears, it's a first step to solving your problem," he councils sagely. "These bills are like a death sentence" Alicia wails.

She calls Martha, who is gloating over these monetary misfortunes, a tinaco ambulante (walking water tank). [I am SO annoyed the way they keep stuffing food in this poor actress's face - do they really think we'll think this is funny? --Ed.]

"My poverty has a limit! [looks glumly at the wad of bills] OK no food, no car, no light, but I HAVE to have my cellphone!" Alicia asks SIMON to lend her money! He looks at her cellular bill and says his whole family lives on less than that. "Your hair dye is affecting your IQ adversely." "I'm a NATURAL blond!" "I couldn't get this much money together in several lifetimes!" Simon informs her. It's suggested she ask Aldo for the money: after all, their wedding is imminent...

Labels:


Comments:
I found an article on Cachirulo; they must have been referring to one of his characters.

I also find Guillermo AndreU attractive... I guess I like that caveman look. If Alicia were not so hung up on thinking she's marrying Aldo, she could try her luck with Gil. Not that it'd work, but it might be funny. ;)

Did Alicia say she was going to ask Lety for help with her financial situation? I think Gil told Lety that someone refused to take his message when he tried to call - if she doesn't fire Alicia now, then Lety's hopeless!!
 

I saw that same article this morning Julie but I was hoping to find a better pic, I guess the character is supposed to have blonde hair maybe.
 

>>>>[I am SO annoyed the way they keep stuffing food in this poor actress's face - do they really think we'll think this is funny? --Ed.]

I think in the original they used a pregnancy to explain why she was eating all the time. In this one apparently she's just fat and hungry. I wish they kept that it least it would make sense.
 

Years ago...I worked with this guy that in a fit of boredom painted his teeth with "White Out", thanks Aldo...I had forgotten all about Fred.
 

It is probably a good thing Fernando is going to the US. He needs to have some space apart from Lety and Conceptos to sort things through. It's no wonder he can't stand Aldo. The guy is trying to take not only the woman he loves but is also barging into his family's company business and taking over. That would be hard to take.

Fernando is acting so juvenile. He is out of control but at least he is facing his emotions instead of drowning them in alcohol.

I don't think Aldo is being manipulative with people. Although I'm a fool for Fernando and want he and Lety to end up together, Aldo is a good person. He shows it by his compassion like in the Tomas clone/Alicia cruelty scene. I think he is just so laid back and good natured that he doesn't puncture peoples misconceptions even though he knows they are interested in him. He probably thinks it won't hurt anything.

Connie
 

Great point about Fer & "nurturing" meals - I thought the same. I'm sure dinnertime for him was agony since Ariel was there.
All the bickering at the junta table - Caro's probably wishing she were far far away from it all.
Aldo has everyone's number & that can be unsettling, especially to Fernando. Fer has lost everything he cared about & now sees Aldo getting it all. Grrrr.
 

Hey Melinama...thanks so much for that great picture...I had no idea what Ms. Herrarra looked like...the comparison is much funnier now...and the vocabulary words were great. I wrote down "pituca" but some of the others went right by me. You ALL do a fantastic job.
And yes, I too have to admit I like the "cro-magnon" look... I prefer Guillermo to Aldo (oh heck, I like 'em both) but alas, I'm hopelessly hooked on immature, but funny, Fernando. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure he ends up with Lety. Judy
 

Of all of the annoying things about last night's episode (and there were a ton), the Lola and El Cheque thing is really beginning to bug me!
Maybe, it is just me, but come on, how does all their blow by blow divorce settlement affairs really factor into the grand scheme of things?? I could care less whether Jazmin will now have another hizzy about Lola and her "unfair ways". I find it about as exciting as ANOTHER "BORED" meeting!! Maybe I need some of Luigi's "coffee"... to get a different perspective, huh?? ;)
I just hope tonight will prove more entertaining... You guys are the ones who are getting me through these dry episodes!
 

Finally an end to Lola's divorce problems maybe now her dull back story will fade into the sunset like Irmita's. Obviously we have to have filler so my next guess is we'll get Martha or god help us all PMS background stories.

Conceptos is the most screwed up company in the universe. I worked for a company that had outside clients and I can tell you NO client ever dictated to us who the project manager would be. Lety showed weakness by not telling Gui that they would handle the assignment in house.

Aldo smirking at getting his way bugged the heck out of me.

Fern and Marcia bickering about the trip , very unprofessional of her. He said he would go but I guess she figured that it would give her a better chance of really getting her claws into him if they were together. I also noticed that Lety looked a little sad and depressed when Fern suggested the trip and said he would go. She is sure sending mixed signals all over the place.

I was very surprised that Fern did not react when Caro said that Lety had met the famous chef when she was WORKING FOR HER IN ACAPULCO after she left Conceptos.

Gui is a little cavemanish and I was sickened yet again by the drooling cuartel. What a lovely first impression men must get of this business with those fools shrieking and making idiots out of themselves.
 

Cachirulo was a story teller. I still remember waking up on Saturdays to see his program. He was supposed to be a doll or a puppet that told stories. His hair was made out of yarn and was blondish reddish.
When Luigi said Pituca he was referring to a comedian couple Pituca y Petaca. These girls were child actresses and very funny. They were part of Chiquilladas, a popular program of the 80’s. If you noticed he called Omar "petaca" later.
Chapulines (grosshopers) are eaten in the south of Mexico (Oaxaca) and are considered food of the “people”, along with the huitlacoche, chicatanas, gusanitos de magey and other autochthonous food. Something that Fernando Mendiola would never eat.
I know this is not very important, but I’m that kind of person that think that details give you a better background and help you understand the jokes better :)
Maricruz
 

Maricruz, THANK YOU. I love these details. I knew SOMEBODY would know who Cachirulo was.
 

howcum omar landed on the couch this time?
 

Kudos to Maricruz, I love the history/culture lessons too. It's one of the reasons I love this blog.

While I think Ferns fun to watch, I'm not very sympathetic to his "losing everything". Remember, He chose this path. He's still playing Marcia. Its kind of like he keeps Maricia around just in case the thing with Lety doesn't work out. He clearly has no interest in her and frankly is cruely dragging her along until he finally decides to kick her to the curb. Not good Fern!

Thanks for the recap, Melinama!

Rhonda
 

Lola and El Checque's divorce hearing--while I can see her frustration, some composure and dignity might have served her better than the vindictive shrieking and fist pumping. But that wouldn't be as dramatic, so I guess it has no place in a telenovela.
Tomas, when you go shopping again, how about picking up some new pantyhose (medias?) for Lety? I already tried reaching through the screen and ripping those white surgical hose off her. It didn't work, so I really need your help. Luigi's "Woody Woodpecker" cackle to Tomas was pretty mean.
 

Thanks, Maricruz - I think "Pituca y Petaca" were mentioned in an earlier episode (many months ago) and I went crazy trying to find out what they were! (Couldn't even look them up online because I didn't have captions and probably got the spelling wrong.)
 

I can't blame Lola for going a little overboard with the exclamations of joy. At the beginning of the meeting, she was only supposed to be getting 3000 pesos a month. Within just minutes, El Cheque had offended the judge so much that she more than doubled his obligation to 7000 pesos - nearly half his monthly salary of 15,000 pesos.

(To figure it in dollars, divide by 11.)

I don't know if I would have been as loud as Lola, but I probably would have peed myself.
 

I for one have no sympathy for Marcia. She knows full well that Fern doesn't love her and never will yet she practically begs him to stay in the apartment. There is no kind of relationship between them even if he does sleep in the same bed (and not if he can help it). She is desperate to have some kind of life with him, just as Aldo is with Lety and both of them are smart enough to know the object of their obsession is in love with someone else. Both of them need to learn that wishing it was so won't make it that way.

Janet
 

1. Youtube videos are swell but be careful not to see all sorts of future stuff.
2. If you decide to go there because you want to see youtube episodes of past usa broadcast, somebody who knew the way to do it answered a person who wanted to watch the episode for usa 2/26/07 (this one). [Be careful not to see into the future. Maybe you should have someone else do it.] Here's the way to do it:
"... first, you need to find out the date of the Mexican transmission to locate the capitulo that you want to see."
http://www.esmas.com/lafeamasbella/capitulos/578684.html
"... the capitulo you are looking for had a broadcast date of Nov 1 and Nov 2. Why two? ...the MX capitulos are 30 minutes off. So the first capitulo, Nov 1 will contain the first 30 from the episode seen here (US) the day before yesterday and 300 from yesterday's captitulo and the Nov 2 episode will have the other half hour."
 

Gee here we are Tuesday and this LFMB day began on Wednesday and yet at Conceptos we haven't even gotten to lunch time yet. ANOTHER loooooooooong day it would seem and what is going to happen when Ariel arrives for his dinner date with Lety. Aldo jeeps getting beat to the post first by the cuartel and now by Ariel.

Somebody mentioned they think that Aldo has Fern's number. I'm not so sure he does. I don't think he knows how much in love with Lety his rival is.
 

>>>>I don't know if I would have been as loud as Lola, but I probably would have peed myself.

LOL...that's not an imagine I want to be confronted with but it did make me laugh which i so desperately needed right now. I feel like I'm in a long crappy day at Conceptos. I am reminded of the dangling from shoelaces comment and am thinking it doesn't sound half bad right now but I think that too extreme. Oh well, I'll just continue plugging along.

>>>ANOTHER loooooooooong day it would seem

And let's not forget that we have the Ariel dinner thing to look forward to.
 

No,not Ariel! I would watch anyone else even the screaming feas other than Ariel do anything! Pure evil every time he speaks.
I too thought the caveman was kind of cute. Heck, by this time even Aldo looks good to me. Fern is still number one but Omar is a close second.
Thanks so much to all the Spanish speakers who interpret the details of the conversations. It adds a lot to the scene and makes the understanding more enjoyable!
I love to hear all the details!!!!

Carrie L.
 

Gracias MariCruz!!! Tú eres Fantástico!!! Me encanta leer todo esto sobre la historia y cultura!
(Just trying to get a little practice in),lol.
Really neat to get the nitty gritty stuff!
 

I was really happy when Luigi applauded our Lety! See! the tonic of aldo's peace-love-and sea shells is workin' it's magic!
 

Melinama, I loved the editorials, especially the sidebar! Thanks so much! (keep adding those [Ed.] comments, they’re such fun). I think you are right on target about the difference in Fern’s dinner experiences compared to Lety’s. I wonder what Aldo’s were like that he can analyze what might appeal to the majority of folks. I’ll tell ya, the Germans are like what he was describing and this kind of campaign would appeal to them in a big way (at least in all the German homes where I’ve eaten. It’s mandatory and a sit-down full family affair more often than not. From what I read, it’s like that in France and Spain. Anyone else??). I think you hit the nail on the head there, Mama Tere (thank the good Lord her air time is down to nil lately) never made meal time that good. In fact, the one or two scenes from Fern’s memories that we have seen looked downright cold and hostile with Ariel manipulating, as some commenters have suggested. That’d give any kid indigestion and an aversion to meal time at home.

I couldn’t help but think Gil is tall enough for Sara. I also thought he might be nice for Marcia, since many of us hope Fern ends up with Lety.

Maricruz, thanks for adding that tidbit about the storyteller from your childhood! Neat! Thanks for adding the bits about the foods, too. That does help.

El Checque and Lola are plain irritating. I had this thought recently about him: be careful what you ask for. If you ask for a divorce, and you want your girlfriend. You may end up with the girlfriend, a divorce, and no money. But, you’ve got what you set out to get.

All the comments were great and after a challenging day (and tossing and turning last night). I enjoyed reading them. Thanks, everyone!

Jeanne
 

I am from Pennslvania and watch univision la fea mas bella on channel 16 which is also 65. Is anyone having problems with the sound? Two nights in a row, it appears that they have the show running, but the sound is not in synch with the lips of the actors. When the actors are done speaking, the words are still being said. Being an english speaking person who has a spanish tutor for help, it is difficult for me to understand because because it is out of synch. Also, notice h ow aldo was aiding tomas on about lety. I rest my case that he is using tomas to learn more about letty.
 

fern has never free his heart from lety i truly thank that fern loves lety if he dont get help he will go loco
 

en españa es como asi! Meals, especially the lunch meal, are the big gathering time -people eat leisurely, talk, smoke, hang out, they don't rush, they really enjoy their time and the table con sus familiares!
 

The 2011 discussion for Capitulos 219 & 220 is at this link.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder