Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Destilando Amor April 6: Rod is once, twice, three times an idiot.

Can anybody get me a copy of the picture of Miss Agave with the spiky crown? I NEED it. ME URGE!!!

We open with the previous night's befuddlement. "Gaviota went to Europe to find me? But she promised she'd meet me back here - why'd she go?" Roman: "She went to work a few months for a modeling agency in Paris and then she was going to go to London to find you. She really wanted to see you - she asked for your address - "

"Well, where's her mom?" "She'll be back here for the harvest." Rod flashes and is content: "It's impossible that she wouldn't keep her promise, she'll be back." He goes to church to arrange the wedding with Padre Tadeo, but the padre won't be back till night.

In London, Gav is on the treadmill looking fetching as always -- and mighty shapely for somebody who's been motionless in a coma in bed for six months.

In what appear to be his now-customary haunts, surrounded by mariachis and tequila, James is getting a report on 380 years of tequila-making from Crispin Castaño. Rod sees him, runs up, there's a big hug. James says he's planning to become a master tequilero, and this is his friend Don Crispi, a local historian.

James asks: "How is Sofia?" Rod: "She's in Mexico for Anibal's wedding. She's worried about you." "Tell her I'm doing well." James likes visiting artisanal tequila makers - and, adds Crispi, he likes the ladies at the festivals... "And," boasts James, "see what I've learned - (lifts his glass) - 'Above, Below, Center, and Down the Hatch' - drinks tequila.

Rod asks Crispi if he's seen Clarita and here comes the ANVIL.

"Why yes, 6-7 months ago, a bad situation... she got in a fight with Agripina Cueto ... Agripina accused Clarita of sending Gaviota away to work in a house of ill repute."

Rod: impactado. "No no, Gav's a decent girl, her mom wouldn't allow it..." All leave posthaste to talk with Agripina.

Meanwhile, rather than whoring in Paris, Gaviota is folding towels in a nunnery in London. She likes working and wants to help a little, she tells her favorite nun - and it strengthens her muscles.

And meanwhile yet again, in a Manhattan skyscraper a cranky Señor Duarte is tearing his hair while shouting on the phone: the Asians are flooding the market with cheap textiles, he can't compete, as an emergency measure they should dump their own textiles at cost in South America. "This will bring me to ruin." He yells at his secretary, he doesn't want to see anybody, but his wife barges in complaining: he stood her up at the restaurant and doesn't answer his phone! "I lost my best client!" he yells and stomps out. The phone rings. It's Trophy Whore Barbie! These are her crabby parents!

Mom asks about Rod, TWB reports: he's in love with another woman but she'll conquer him anyway.

[Didn't there used to be a doll, not a Barbie, you could stick your finger in her stomach and her polyester straw-colored hair would get sucked right back up into her empty skull? --Ed.]

Rod & Co. rush to find Agripina and ask: "Do you know Gaviota?" "Yeah, she's the daughter of the jimadora." "Tell what you know."

This biddy repeats the story: months ago Gav was sent to a whorehouse in Europe by the maldito photographer. "Do you have proof?" "Hey, I live above (points above) and see everything that goes on." "Where's this photographer?" Over there, but he split." (Actually, he "peeled himself" = pelarse)

Rod stomps off to break down the photographer's door, shouting: "Gaviota is a decent girl, she's my girl, I'm gonna marry her." Agripina's parting words: "Forget her, those girls who are after easy money never come back."

He stomps in, kicks everything in the dark, deserted room, sees sexy pictures of Gaviota lying on the floor. "I can't believe you did it, Gaviota! You're a wh--." Tears pictures.

For pointless distraction, we have the extremely cute young Hilario grooming a horse while not wearing a shirt. Here comes the girl in the push-up bra, and she asks: "How's it going with the favor I asked for?" "I couldn't ask yet." "I need to get work here, I don't wanna go around selling peanuts and peppers any more." He says she'll have to wait till the rich folk are back in the big house. She comes on strong, he demurs a bit. He says he can't take the time to visit with her in the afternoon but they can get together on the weekend and pick fruit. She makes big fishy lips and wants a kiss, he thinks somebody might see. "Just a little one." Hijinx to lighten the mood. They do it all again later on in the show.

At the cantina with James, Rod is reviewing the situation again, in the rational manner we've come to expect from his ilk. "The only woman I've loved is working in a European bordello. Why'd she make that decision? I'd feared some man would take her and I'd have accepted that, but this? No!"

James takes a dubious approach to consolation: "She lives surrounded by men, what makes you think you were the first?"

"I was, I was! We gave ourselves to each other cleanly." "Then why didn't you take her to London?" "Because I didn't think... I wanted to stay and marry her but she said we could wait a year..."

"Perhaps things aren't as they seem." "I saw the photos, what more proof do I need that she is living as a prostitute? I was an imbecile." [No, NOW you're an imbecile. -- Ed.]

Isadora of the plastic hair is visiting Sofia and Granny in the city, telling them she and Minerva have always been best friends, and that she's come to visit because she misses Rodrigo. Sofia: "I've spent so much of my life abroad that I have no friends." [That might not be the ONLY reason you have no friends. -- Ed.] Isadora: "Well, then, let's US be friends." Smiling, she thought-bubbles: "Sofia, you'll help me conquer Rodrigo."

James is driving a very drunk, singing Rodrigo. "James, leave me alone, you're boring!" "You've drunk enough!" Rod cries, beats chest, snorts, insists on having the car keys, drives away, imbecile again!!! He drives off into the deserted agave fields (a prudent destination, considering his blood alcohol level).

"Here we made love! Here I gave myself to you! You said you loved me! You touched and caressed me! Hypocrite! Liar! Gaviota, MALDITA!"

In the nunnery Gav is crossing off the days happily and folding towels. Her favorite nun arrives with a little TV to watch in the laundry room - she can use the shows to perfect her pronunciation of English.

Next day, James and Roman find Rod asleep under a tree! He wakes up a wild man! He wants to be alone! James tells Roman to go back, "I'll take care of him." Rod wants James to stop meddling and leave. "She is the love of my life. I lost her. I got everything ready for the wedding, what an idiot I am."

James: "I, too, lost my love, though under different circumstances. It's been a year since Sofia broke up with me and I'm still hurting." Bitter laughter from Rod who nastily says: "Don't compare your case to mine! My sister left you because she doesn't want to live in the country and she doesn't like white fleas. Whereas in my case, a woman swore eternal love and then went out and became a whore."

"Rodrigo, this place is making you fall into a vicious circle, it's making you remember... Let's leave here, we can come back stronger." "You're right, I gotta get out of here, I have to forget Gaviota."

[I needed Rod to commit a sin so my heart wouldn't break for him. This is it: like all who are dipped in the Telenovela Pit of Stupidity, he believes rumors and gives up on his "True Love" without looking back. So he deserves Trophy Whore Barby ...]

... who's having a yuppie lunch date with Rod's sis Sofia and asking why Rod is back at the hacienda. "Because the March harvest is so important and granny has always made a big deal about the whole family coming back at this time."

TWB: "We're just friends but I'd love to be your brother's girlfriend." Sis: "That would be good, you have the correct socioeconomic status." "Then you'll give me his number?"

Gav putters around London in the same sweater she wore while competing in the car-jumping olympics way back when. She goes to church, innocent of the reputation-smirching she's suffering in absentia in Mexico. She prays: "Thanks for bringing me back to health, please take care of Mom and Rod, I'm happy because soon I can go home, I should never have left." [You got that right. --Ed.]

Rod tells Roman he's going on a trip with James, they'll be gone a while, he doesn't want to take his phone. (Roman: "He's fleeing, I don't know from whom or why.")

Trophy Whore Barby calls the hacienda -- too late, Rod's gone. She's not worried, cause Sofia told her there's no other woman in his life.

Rod and James vacation for days: at a rodeo, around town, good music, native dance, comida tipica, quaint customs etc. They're drunk a lot. They go rappelling. They swim. Rod is a handsome, sulky Tarzan.

In London Gav is watching a riveting TV report on the price of nickel in world markets. She crosses off another day: it's just a week now till the 21st. She's wondering how to get home when a report comes on the TV: "Undocumented workers are being deported to their native countries." "Oh, wait, that's me!" She talks it over with her favorite nun. "In the States, they dump undocumented folks back over the border." "Well, England is surrounded by water, so they're sent back by plane. The government covers the cost." The nun looks at Gav's tourist passport, 6 months expired, and says she'll qualify for the free trip back to Mexico.

TWB is on the trainer, grouchy because she can't get through to Rod. Sofia tries the cellphone, also no luck. Sofia: "My brother has the heart of a ranchero. James does too, that's why I dumped him."

Finally having returned to the hacienda, Rod hears: Isadora's been calling every day.

James asks Rod: "What if Gaviota comes back for the harvest?" "Don't be silly, she's living her life elsewhere. If I'd never met her I wouldn't be sad all the time." James surmises: "You'll have to get another woman if you want to forget Gaviota."

In NY, mother of TWB complains about her hubby and suggests TWB come to NY to relax. "No, I have other plans. I'm going to go to the hacienda tomorrow to wait for Rod and I'm not coming back till we're engaged!" Meanwhile, Rod has left for the city...

And TWB's bag is packed and the doorbell rings and she answers and there's Rod. "You've been calling me." "I was just leaving to come see you." "Well, I've saved you the trip. Wanna get married?" She's impactada. He continues weirdly: "There are just two conditions..." "Is this a joke?" "No." "What about the other woman?" "There isn't another. Will you marry me or not?" He seizes her and kisses hard.

His two conditions: (1) they must marry, at the hacienda, on March 21; (2) they'll be spouses in name only. "I can't..." "There will be no intimacy?" "Will you marry me or not?" he asks again.

OK, I'm satisfied, he's now such a dunce, I can tolerate his suffering. And Gaviota? Well, like Hippolita and many others before her, she will be punished for her impulsive behavior by months of torture and suffering. And so will we.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks for the quick recapm Melinama. I am so disappointed in Rod (great title). Though I know its a novela trademark, can't any of these men get concrete information before they decide that the amor de vida is not to be trusted. I wish novelas could be like you suggested yesterday Melinama; give us a little more love and good things for the good people. Would it have been that hard to have Rod and Gavi together? We all know his whole family would give them enough crap and create more than enough suffering. But I'm sure if the producers let R & G get together, they'd get divorced or some other painful separation (comas, memory loss, baby switches, etc.)

Anyway, I agree that Rod deserves TWB but poor Gavi will have to suffer because of his foolishness. Sigh. Do novelas ever have the galan suffer because of the foolishness of the heroine (just curious)?

Karen
 

Good recap, the pain spiral, the punishment & worst of all the failure to communicate...

Now about TWB, seriously how come her GayDar isn't just screaming like having a tornado siren in your pocket? I mean I know he isn't gay, but if a guy that age hasn't taken advantage of the offers, he is either gay or just not that into to you, then the classic, married in name only...
he did everything but call her "Trophy Beard Barbie".
 

Well,so much for true love. Rodrigo has obviously been taking a double dose of stupid pills. Having zero facts about Gavi's trip to Europa,he assumes the worst.Then he learns she was there to see him,he still doesn't get it. He calls her a whore & prostitute,after kicking the door down of that "pimp" posing as a photographer. That's real love & faith in someone..No spine & no guts is Rodrigo. In order to worthy of Gavi's love,Rod will endure a lot of pain,now that he's hooked up with that harlot,Isadora. I see lots of changes in the actress playing Isadora,a gastly hairdo and new "boobs".I believe she's the former girlfriend of Gabriel Soto?
 

With daddy's fortuna in the dumps, this sounds like a great opportunity for TWB to take Rod's money and run. She'd have all the time in the world then to reform and supposedly "re-wire" him in between shopping trips to Miami and Nueva York. On the other hand, it sounds like Rod the rube is wanting his cake and to eat it too. Keeping both "machista" roads open by not living "as God mandates" he gets to peek from under the covers while having his marriage of convenience.

Dolt, I don't think this is what "Mister Ja-mes" had in mind. (...And this is what passes for doctoral material these days?)
 

This seems to be a pretty common theme in novelas. Do you remember Manuel in ''Amor Real'' assuming that the baby that Matilde was carrying was Adolfosolis's after he found out that he was on the premises for awhile posing as the administrator of the haciendo even though he [Manuel] had been boinking Matilde nonstop for quite awile??? When would she have had time to be with Adolfosolis??? She barely had a chance to eat or sleep during those weeks. Also, when Antonio and the maid tell Luis that the baby Hippolita is expecting is Antonio's, he believes them. In these novelas, it seems that the heroes always suspect the worst of their trueloves. Also, it seems that it's okay for the galans to sleep with other women [case in point-Manuel and the nasty Antonia [now Minerva] blechhhh , and Luis slept with his wife, Perla, and who knows how many other mujeres before he slept with Hip and in the 3 years before she came to Mexico to find him.] Double standard here. The leading lady can't sleep with ANYONE but the galan even if she is married [case in point-Hippolita--she never slept with poor old Antonio, not even once.] Also, the galan often resorts to getting stinking drunk after learning that his mujere has been with another---- Manuel locked himself in the bedroom and went on a bender that lasted a couple days--Silvano,Sixto, and Padre all failed in their attempts to get him out of that room. I was proud of Luis for not getting drunk--he just yelled at Cristobal before riding off to commune with nature and look at his campfire for awhile. Well, I still love Rodrigooo , but seeing him kiss TWB was difficult. What's going to happen next??? In the previews, it looks as if Gav returns. Do you think that Rodrigooo will refuse to believe Gav and marry TWB???^^^Susanlynn, MUY IMPACTADA
 

Gee, just read the recap, melinama. I am so grateful for these translations because I only understand about 11% of what is said. I did not get the 2 conditions that Rodrigooo announced to TWB at the very end. Very weird, but then , it is a telenovela. I guess those conditions aren't any harder to accept then a possibility of 36-46 year old virgin. [The only one I might know is my cousin Glenn, but that's another novela.] And, talk about art imitating life !!! Gaviata is watching English TV to learn English, and here we all are watching her in a telenovela to learn Spanish. The circle of life, no??? And TWB's cranky [or as the PA Dutch would say ''gretzy''] parents once again affirm that old adage , ''The apple [or agave, in this case] does not fall far from the tree [or , in this case, the field]. I must say that my favorite part of this whole episode was Rodrigoo throwing his jacket into the car and kicking the door down. That's what I'm talking about. Let's compare Rodrigooo and Emiliooo. Could you ever see Emilioo kicking any doors down??? I like the doorkicking. The rapelling and skinnydipping were also enjoyable although I was hoping to see Rodrigooo doing some rodeo riding. [Que lastima!] And, let's remember that we are less than 2 weeks into this show---something had to happen to keep the lovers apart until the end of the novela. As someone said, even if they had gotten married [like Manuel and Matilde] some kind of something bad would have been destroying their bliss unrelentlessly. I just saying...Susanlynn, still not losing faith in Rodrigooo...but then, I can be pretty shallow
 

Whoopsee---I think that should be ''RELENTLESSLY.'' I got a little overexcited defending Rodrigooo and coined a new term.^^^Susanlynn, overstimiulated by a combination of her morning coffee and last night's episdoe
 

How can they torture us like this?
Since I don't speak Spanish, I didn't know that Rodgrigoo (Ilove that)asked the chippy to marry him.Ugh.
I must say that Destilando is very interesting and fast moving. It's the fastest hour in a telenovela I've ever seen.
Come, let us gather together and suffer, sisters and brothers.
 

I meant Rodrigoo.
 

does anyone recognize Fabricio from Heridas? Hes the stable boy in this novella. I'll bet he falls for Gaviota
 

I don't get why Rod has to marry? I mean if he wanted to win the land he would have impregnate TWB, & he made it plain that ain't happenin, so why the rush to marry?

Nobody even knew he was supposed to get married March 21, so it's not like always the bridesmaid never the bride...I don't get it..I mean if Gavi really was a whore in Europe, well I doubt she's care who he married. I say give it a week then make your mind up...skanky TWB isn't going anywhere.
 

Spare the Rod, spoil the novela!

Perhaps Rod is hoping that TWB will become pregnant without his assistance, providing an heir without having to get his own hands (and whatnot) dirty.
 

Yes, I do remember Fabricio from Heridas as the new man in the stables. He's so cute,and he and Gavi would make a beautiful couple.

Rod and Isadora (with the plastic hair & boobs)will be wonderful together.A man who makes the kind of impulsive decisions as Rodrigo deserves to live in the misery of his making.
 

Julie~~''Spare the Rod, spoil the novela.'' Excellent thought. I agree. ~Beckster--I agree, what is the point of marrying TWB if Rod does not intend to sleep with her, produce a little Rodrigooo , and thus be in line for winner of the First Varon Bakeoff?? Also, did Grandpa stipulate that the varon must be legitimate???~~Susanlynn
 

i guess rod married isa because he is a little loco in the head :) maybe james' advice really had an effect on him ( you need to start focusing on other women if you want to forget gavi)... i like that about rod though, his impulsiveness ...only in novelas though. in real life i would go crazy with a man like that. but isn't that what makes telenovela hunks so interesting? look at manuel from amor real, luis from alborada, even fernando from la fea mas bella... ;)

ps: i was told that colunga will not be in estrada's new prirate novela :( now THAT is dissappointing.... :(

tash, who just munched down too much thai food
 

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

>>Come, let us gather together and suffer, sisters and brothers.<< How perfect, Alice! This IMHO could/should be Caray's motto, considering how all of us do allow ourselves to be tortured by the novela gods at this site.
===
What kind of fashion magazines has Rodrigooo never seen? Those things are outrageous in any western country and culture; and how could this PhD candidate not realize that those modeling photos found abandoned on the photographer's floor looked harmless compared to what is seen in the likes of Bazaar, Cosmo, Mademoiselle, Elle, and gosh knows how many others that peek out at one in the many kiosks on numerous London/Cambridge street corners. So, I can readily agree that the impetuous Rodrigooo does deserve to suffer through the misery of his own making.
 

ps: yes, matha julia (isa) used to date gabriel soto! martha actually seems like a very nice person on real life...
 

I'm only a part-time watcher or sampler of Destilando Amor, but saw quite a bit of last night and pieces of other nights. Am I mistaken in thinking this show is loaded with horrible plastic-surgery victims acting the parts of the older rich women?? They have that stretched-tight skin and surprised eye look. It really creeps me out, especially the abuela who sees her husband, the recently deceased patron, in the sky. She DOES NOT resemble a kindly old grandmother or even a mean old grandmother. She resembles a fashion magazine or modeling agency head desperately trying to look younger.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder