Thursday, April 05, 2007

Duelo de Pasiones, Thursday April 5 - Elias's excellent rescue plan

Gaspar told Alina that Thelma's baby was his, but she didn't believe him. After she left, Gaspar said to himself, "Ah. No one believes me."

Carmen told Rosita not to marry Santos because she was afraid of what Maximo would do to them. Rosita promised not to put Santos in danger.

Later Rosita told Santos, "I've been thinking well. I'm not going to marry you." She said it wasn't fair for him to raise a child that wasn't his.

Santos went to see Carmen and said he would never forgive her. Then he begged her to talk to Rosita again, this time on his behalf, and Carmen promised to do so.

Elsewhere: Alvaro told the New Hugo that Soledad would spend the rest of her life locked in a barn.

(What is the deal with this new Hugo, anyway?! I have enought trouble telling apart the servants on this show as it is. I was pleased to have figured out that Hugo was the guy who always wore a bandana. But New Hugo doesn't wear a bandana! How am I supposed to recognize him now? Plus, old Hugo was 20 years younger and 20 feet taller than New Hugo. He reminded me of Bluto. The new Hugo doesn't even look like Popeye! This is a travesty!! OK, back to the recap.)

At La Rinconada: Vera asked Alina not to leave the house after Emilio departed, but Alina said she would go because Emilio didn't want to see her anymore.

She went to visit Angel, who asked if she was curious about what would happen when he and Emilio returned to the hacienda. Alina said no. Angel said her dreams would come true and she would become a Valtierra. Alina was not impressed.

Meanwhile... Emilio put his arm around Thelma on their way to dinner! Aaargh! When is he going to realize that he married a viper/vampire?

Adela visited Elias in his office and told him that Sergio had locked Soledad's escape hatch and was keeping a close guard. Elias said, "Show me where this door is. I swear I'm going to open it!"

Adela brought him to the barn. Being a genius, like everyone else on this show, Elias tried to open the locked hatch by attacking it with a pickaxe. Good idea!

Surprise surprise, he was interrupted by Sergio and his ever-present shotgun. Elias refused to stop his well-planned attempt to rescue Soledad, telling Sergio, "You'll have to kill me!"

Sergio warned, "I am serious!" Elias said, "Me too!" Naturally, Sergio shot him in the chest. Soledad overheard the gunshot and started to pray.

Sergio looked at the motionless Elias, pronounced him dead, and said it was his own fault.

At La Rinconada: Emilio stared into space and had another of his imaginary conversations with Alina. "Forgive me, my love. I want to see you, to talk to you, but I can't!"

Thelma arrived and asked Emilio why he had been so quiet during dinner. He started talking about how important it was to take care of Alina, "my brother's future wife."

Thelma tried to distract him by pushing him onto the bed and kissing him. Annoyed, Emilio said he needed to get some sleep, then left.

Meanwhile, Alina mooned over Emilio, saying to herself, "How alone I feel!" The usual.

An unexpected scene: Alvaro burst into a bedroom, found Hugo and Alfonsina in bed together, and shot them both!

But it turned out to be only a nightmare that New Hugo was having. He woke up and said to himself, "Damn Alvaro, you torment me in dreams, but I swear this is going to end very soon."

Meanwhile, Alfonsina and Alvaro strolled together in the city and later attended a fair, where they kissed in public. Miraculously, Alvaro did not have his usual hallucination that he was kissing Soledad.

He brought her home and made her a drink. Alfonsina said, "I feel so strange. You serving me."

Alvaro said, "Right now I am not the boss and you the employee." He said something about Soledad being part of his past. Alfonsina said, "We are going to talk about the present, about us," and they kissed.

In Sierra Escondida: Rosita told her father that she'd broken up with Santos, saying she would be both father and mother to her child, and she would never marry Maximo.

Angel told Susi that he knew Alina didn't want to marry him.

Back at Alvaro's happy hacienda: Adela saw Sergio with a suspicious Elias-sized bundle on his horse. She asked him about the gunshot and Sergio told her to mind her own business.

As he rode away, Adela looked after him and said doubtfully, "It's not Senor Elias. No."

She talked to Soledad through the barn door. Soledad urged her to find out what had happened to Elias.

Sergio took the body somewhere in the dark countryside and dumped it on the ground, saying, "I wish that he will be eaten by coyotes."

(Elias was not only wrapped in a blanket but also tied with ropes, so it looked as if he wouldn't be able to escape even if he were somehow still alive.)

At La Rinconada: Vera told Emilio she had given Alina some tea to help her sleep. Emilio said to himself, "Alina is sleeping."

He went to her bedroom, sat on the bed, and said, "I love you, Alina. Neither time nor distance will make me forget you." He asked her to forgive him. "Te amo, Alina." He kissed her cheek, then left.

Alina remained asleep through all of this, but after he left she said in her sleep, "Emilio, Emilio. Don't go, Emilio."

She dreamed they were romping in the countryside together, then suddenly she looked around and he was gone.

Emilio went back to his room for yet another imaginary conversation with Alina, this time telling her, "I go, but my heart stays with you."

Thelma had another nightmare caused by the curse of that witch doctor guy. She woke up agitated and said, "I don't want to sleep."

The next day: Watching Emilio and Angel leaving La Rinconada without Thelma, Castulo smirked and said to himself, "She stayed."

In Alina's room: Alina told Rosita how upset she was. "Again we are separated. What am I going to do without him?" Rosita tried to comfort her, saying, "Cry, cry all you want."

Vera burst into the room to give them the bad news that Angel and Emilio had left Thelma the Hyena behind.

In the carriage, Angel announced that he wanted to go back to La Rinconada because he knew Thelma would try to humiliate Alina in their absence. He revealed that Thelma said things to him while he was in the coma "to provoke my death."

Emilio asked why Thelma would want Angel to die. Angel said sulkily that he didn't want to talk about it anymore because he had other worries.

Emilio said Angel should be happy because he was going to marry Alina. Angel replied, "I want Alina, but she wants another, and that other is you."

Emilio said, "If I once felt something for Alina, it's in the past." Angel continued to sulk but apparently gave up the idea of returning to La Rinconada.

Meanwhile, Thelma told Orlando, "I am already savoring my vengeance," saying she would make Alina pay "very dearly," and she would start by telling her that Emilio didn't love her. Orlando pointed out that Emilio did love Alina, but Thelma said he would stop loving her soon.

Adela confronted Sergio and said, "I saw what you had on the horse last night. What did you do with him?" Sergio boasted, "I killed him."

Adela chased him into the house, saying, "You are a murderer! God won't forgive you. I'm going to leave and shout what you have done."

Sergio pointed his gun at her and threatened to kill her too if she talked, ordering her to go into the kitchen and keep her mouth shut.

Later Adela brought food to Soledad and told her, "Sergio killed Senor Elias."

Alvaro gloated to New Hugo about his night with Alfonsina, saying he felt like he was 18 again. New Hugo said grimly, "You don't know how happy that makes me," then tried to show Alvaro the business accounts.

Alvaro told him to relax, saying he should find himself a woman like Alfonsina. Hugo tried again to show him the accounts and Alvaro finally got suspicious, asking if Hugo and Alfonsina had been getting up to something behind his back.

Hugo said nothing had been going on, that he was happy about Alvaro's affair with Alfonsina because he had equal esteem for them both. Alvaro appeared to accept this, but I'm sure he'll soon start thinking Alfonsina is cheating on him with the ghost of Jose Gomez.

Back at La Rinconada, Alina told Vera and Rosita she couldn't escape from Thelma because it was so difficult to leave Sierra Escondida. Vera pointed out that Alvaro was gone and there was no one to stop Alina from leaving. Alina agreed and said she would ask Elias for help.

Meanwhile Elias stuck one bloody hand out of his shroud and started untying the ropes around him, calling weakly, "Someone save me! Help, help me!"

He quickly got free, just as Emilio and Angel's carriage came by. (It seems Sergio dumped him right next to the road. Doesn't anyone on this show have a brain?!)

As the carriage passed, Elias crawled toward the road (a huge blood stain on the front of his shirt), crying, "Please, help me!" but no one saw him and the carriage didn't stop.

(Don't worry, Elias: On this show it only takes a few days and a few herbs from Luba to heal a gunshot wound. Just don't drink any water.)

Words describing Thelma:
hiena = hyena
vibora = viper
...feel free to add your own words to this list!

Labels:


Comments:
Carmel, this was great. I loved every line. I am having a good old time here laughing like a loon.

Some of these have to make the out of context quotes.
 

Carmel, terrific recap! I agree witih Marycelis, I was chortling at your recap.

I figured surely Elias, and engineer, would come up with a creative way to get Soledad out of that barn. But, no, he and Soledad clearly went to the same university. They must have taken Logic 101 together.

I agree it's only a matter of time before Alfonsina is going to incur the celotipia responses that Don Loco has perfected the last ten weeks or so. Boy, is SHE gonna be surprised.

It's wonderful to see Luba and Macario chant and Thelma wake up in a cold sweat. I can think of times it might come in handy.

Sergio is way too spooky. He must have learned that "it's your own fault" from his hero, Don Loco.

Jeanne
 

Marycelis, my favorite line was Sergio's remark about the coyotes. I went back and checked the tape again; he said: "Ojalá que se lo coman los coyotes."

"I wish that he will be eaten by the coyotes" -- is that right?
 

I wish/hope he gets eaten by coyotes.
 

Thanks for the fast recap and so jam packed with great lines! Right from the title! When I saw Elias whacking away at that door with the axe, I was like, What the hell? I thought Soledad's kiss fired him up but THIS? What a moron. Of course he will live but any hope of Soledad escaping will be delayed at least a week.

Loved the comments about new Hugo. Now Alvaro isn't the only one with jealous hallucinating. If I were new Hugo, I'd be plenty worried about an Alfonsina double cross. That woman has trouble written all over her.

Also it was great when Alvaro insinuated that Hugo was gay. Now we know that even though Don Loco is a neanderthal when it comes to treating women, being gay can be someone's "own private business." I thought Hugo was going to reach over the desk and strangle him when he said that.

It was also great seeing Coral again, if only for a few seconds. She appears to have lost the two tone hair and gone for all black.

And yes, "I hope he gets eaten by coyotes."
 

Nice to see a familiar face posting so early in am Margaret
 

Ha ha, great one-liners Carmel! As usual a very funny and clever recap. I also love the coyote quote. Dang, doesn't anybody have a conscience in SE?

Regarding the old Hugo, I heard that he left this telenovela (fulfilled his contract?) to go to Miami to film Las Dos Caras de Ana. I don't know about the old Nora. I realize this new Hugo is a stretch from the old Hugo, however he played a nasty-ass villain in Alborada, really creepy, so he may be a better and more believable match against Don Loco. I could be wrong but I think he will be a better Hugo, not as studly however.
 

My most urgent wish is that they are ALL eaten by coyotes. That would be a much better ending than mine. I thought Elias was wielding a sledge hammer. Hub was walking through the room trying not to look at the tv, and I said, ''Do you see that guy with the sledge hammer? He's going to attack that other guy who is holding a rifle, and that guy is going to shhot him.'' Do I know these guys, or what? Hub just stared at me, and then, left the room. I got a real kick out of whatever was supposed to be old E. slung over Sergio's horse. Caray!Caray! ~~~Susanlynn
 

At La Rinconada: Vera told Emilio she had given Alina some tea to help her sleep. Emilio said to himself, "Alina is sleeping."

This is Emiliooo in a nutshell. If you ever need a quote to describe him perfectly, this is it. The other possibility is when he unnecessarily announced to everyone in the room who saw it for themselves, "Angel is out of his coma." What an idiot.

Great recap, lots of action today. I have become jaded, I did not for one single second believe Elias was actually dead. Predictability will kill a show and this show is beyond predictable. Even when they do something new, they do it in a way that has been done before, usually just the day before. Everyone gets free in a new way, but predictably return to captivity willingly. Whenever someone gets shot, they end up living, healing in about a week. With all this action today I'd expect the story to move forward, but I know it won't. I'm so disheartened.
 

I didn't look to closely at what Elias was holding so it could have been a sledgehammer. Whatever it was, it was soooo stupid to keep doing it in broad daylight when there is an armed guard who has orders to shoot anyone hanging around Soledad.

Mari--Yep, I am a little obsessed with this show! I got home at 10:30 pm and instead of getting ready for the next day, I plop down in front of the DVR and watch! Amazingly enough, when I'm done, here's the recap! Well, then I have to take another twenty minutes to read the recaps and comment!

Susanlynn, you are so right about the Elias tamale on Sergio's saddle. If it had been Elias, he would have had a broken back.

By the way, the sadism of the writers can plainly be seen with that whole Emilio and Angel carraige ride right past Elias. I was sure they would see him when they were turning around but they never did. Also it was sadism toward the actors to stick them in that rattletrap on those bumpy roads. They were both scowling and I don't think it was over leaving Alina.

Ah well. It must be about 65 days now...
 

Ferro, I think y'all are moving towards a surreal perspective on this show and I heartily endorse it. This can become one of those, whaddayacall it, sort of a meta-commentary on stupidity and "groundhog day" television. Feel free to embellish and invent at will.
 

Magaret!!! 65 days??? That's like....13 weeks.....isn't there something very unlucky about that? (For us, that would be)

Jeanne (whose lucky number used to be 13 until today)
 

...65 days...13 weeks...that must be in dog years...I feel as if I've been watching this show for about 2 to 14 years...at least. It's like being at one of those meetings where people are droning on and on about really unimportant stuff and going over and over things that have absolutely no meaning ...you know the ones I mean...where they give a power point presentation and say exactly what is on the screen , but they say it over and over again and then they distribute papers that are exactly what is on the screen. At which point , I am always saying to myself [at least I think it's to myself although sometimes I may actually be saying it out loud] ''Why didn't you just hand out these pieces of paper 3 hours ago, and we could all be home now???'' ...been there, done that. If you still don't get what I'm implying, I will be doing a power point presentation later. ~~~Susanlynn, getting a little testy
 

I checked the tape again -- first Elias tried to open the lock with a pitchfork, then he grabbed a pickaxe with a little pointy head and started hitting the door with it, to no effect of course. Some engineer! I was laughing so hard when I first saw that scene -- I don't think he could have gotten through the door with that even if Sergio hadn't intervened!

When you think how easily he and Adela could have outwitted Sergio, and that's what he did instead -- that's even more ridiculous than Soledad's brilliant dangling-off-the balcony episode. I think this is the most hilarious show I have ever seen. Yes, I wish they all get eaten by coyotes.
 

susanlynn, I'm ROTFL here and never been to that type of meeting but I can just imagine those scenarios.
 

I tried to explain Duelo in 15 minutes at lunch to hubby. He wanders through every now and then and I translate while I watch, but this was the first time I tried to explain ins and outs of personalities, etc. He just shook his head and looked at me in disbelief (probably that I am spending precious leisure time on this). Then he said, "Well, you know, they have really extended the concept of caricatures here. I sounds to me like the writers have purposely gone over the top." He's such a wise guy. A true sage, and great judge of human behavior....naughty writers!

Jeanne

;-)
 

13 weeks, no puedo ser!!!!!!!!!
 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm kicking myself that we didn't jump en masse over to Zorro when it started. I think we didn't hear about it early enough before it started to get organized. The Telemundo captions are a garbled mess though, so maybe it's all for the best. Whatever helps me sleep at night.
 

Ferro, several of us did jump over and still hang out here. Go figure. Too bad about your captions. Contact your local cable provider. By law, if they have captions, the captions need to be good. (FCC). However, their equipment may be obsolete for the kind of signal you get (digital or HD for the channel). That was the problem here until I fussed at Cox. Most folks here have heard the story, but I wrote to the President of Cox and told him that the Telemundo captions in my area are good, the English stations are good, and only Univision was bad. I told him it was their problem, not Univision, because Comcast in Chicago is fine for Univision, as is Mediacom another place I visited and watched Univision....turned out they had to replace closed caption broadcast equipment. The FCC accepts caption complaints about providers. There is just no reason for junk captions.

That said, Spanish language programming has a longer compliance period, and so do the newer television signal broadcasts to get their captions up to speed. Still, complain. Here they didn't even know the captions were messed up until I told them; now they have their Spanish language folks doing quality control. There is only about a two minute period in the middle of each Univision program where the captions go to el diablo and the rest for my favorites is fine.

Jeanne
 

Ferro, I imagine the fact that many don't get Telemundo was a factor in that decision to jump en masse.
 

My excuse was that I didn't realize it was on until after it started. I may also have been under some SESID spell and thought this current show had some life left in it.
I did fire off an e-mail to Comcast the other day about the Telemundo captions, they wrote me back a couple hours later telling me that they bear zero responsibility for captions and I'd have to take it up with Telemundo. I like the FCC idea better, I'm going to complain to them.
Anyone else in the Chicago area have captions trouble on Telemundo? Or anywhere, actually, on Telemundo? I feel like Comcast's response was like when you call tech support for your hardware - "It's a software problem" software support - "It's a hardware problem."
 

Ferro, that is exactly what happened with me the first time I complained to Cox. They told me to contact Univision. I told them, nope, I pay YOU for a service and YOU need to take care of it. They ignored me until I complained to the President and CEO (who happens to be a graduate of one of the universities with whose president I work, so I slid that into the letter). I outlined the good English captions and the good Spanish captions, and how the captions on Univision are excellent in other markets (some of which I had seen). You seem to have the same problem. You can tell them that a friend in the Omaha area has excellent Telemundo captions, which suggests it is THEIR caption broadcast equipment that may be the problem. You can remind them of their FCC obligation and make sure the FCC gets a complaint. You will be helping all the Latino population of Chicago. If you want more info, email me at schoolmarm1973@gmail.com.

Jeanne
 

Oh, one more thing, my captions on Telemundo NEVER fail.

Jeanne
 

Jeanne, you are very impressive.

Out here in Silion Valley we had a week of bad closed captions for Zorro but then they got back on track and seem to be mostly fine. I'm absolutely loving the show.

I'm not that down on Duelo and I'm still enjoying it. However I do FF practically any time Emiliooooo shows his face. Is it so hard to find a charismatic leading man? He's very handsome but so what, good-lookers are a dime a dozen, what I want is sex appeal, charisma, personality, and a good kisser. Is that asking so much???
 

This is interesting -- the Univision captions in my area are excellent, far better than any English language captions I've ever seen. I didn't know the captions were done locally!
 

Carmel, the captions aren't done locally, but the broadcast equipment used to transmit them locally can make or break how they play. Captioning in the US today is done by a fairly large number of companies, which you will note at the end of each captioned program, generally (they like to announce who did the captions). When captions began in 1980, only one company did them, "NCI-the National Captioning Institute" in Virginia. They were very diluted with low language levels and a lot of my really intelligent deaf friends complained to the FCC, which finally agreed they should be more verbatim and not talk down to deaf folks. Captions were supported in the beginning by the US Department of Ed caption branch, but then the Feds said every network has to caption a number of hours (set by law and getting larger all the time) and pay for it themselves. At the same time, captioning has become, due to computers, much more easy to do but the companies setting up shop don't have tons of quality control.

Live captioning is the most difficult. Very few training programs exist for captioners, for example, one in Des Moines a school called "AIB." They also train court reporters, a similar skill. Captioners can earn $80 an hour or more. It is very challenging work for live captioners since people don't speak clearly.

Your local news might be captioned locally, or it might be captioned by someone sitting hundreds of miles away and listening. They have to trade off fairly often, I think I have heard 20 minutes, because the brain drain is huge.

Pre-recorded programs are usually better, because the captioners might even have a script, unless the script is a carefully guarded one and they must then just listen. Foreign langauge captioning is more recent, and the FCC is giving the networks more time to get it done.

So, the captions might be done locally or not, but they are always broadcast locally with the program broadcast. The caption broadcast equipment must be keep up to date just like the audio and visual. HD television and digital are wreaking havoc with captions at the moment; one of my favorite electronic news sources, DeafDigest, did some articles on it several weeks ago and I had a dialogue with the editor (whom I have known for years) about the foreign language captioning and how all captions will be affected by the February 2009 FCC mandated change to only digital signals (if you have analog televisions, they won't work after that date unless you buy an analog to digital converter).

Keeping up with it is a humbug, but for my field, it's vital. Our kids cannot really follow television without good, clean captions. Junk captions they can't read because they haven't got as strong a command of language as hearing peers do, so they don't know they are reading something that isn't really English, in some cases. Older deaf students might know, but they still can't fill in the gaps effectively to try and get the message of the program.

Whew, was that windy! (And thanks, Sylvia....I don't know much about a lot of things, but captions r us.)
 

Sylvia~~''sex appeal, charisma, personality, and a good kisser''---Do you want fries with that order, m'am??? I think the same 2 names are coming into both our minds right about now---yes,yes,YES~~Susanlynn
 

I for one had no choice. Direct TV here in Minneapolis only carries Univision and Galavision unless you get the special Spanish Language program package that adds another zillion Spanish channels. Since my spouse doesn't understand Spanish and isn't a futbol fan, that would a lot of $$ to throw down just to see Zorro.
 

Jeanne, thanks for the info about captions, it's very interesting, and I've certainly gained an appreciation recently for the importance of good captioning.
 

Carmel, thanks.

Margaret, I'm just curious--does Direct TV have captions, and if they do, are they good? I suppose they must, because the programs come with captions...but if they don't broadcast the captions....

Jeanne
 

Jeanne--I am pretty sure DirectTV has CC, I've never used them though.
 

Thanks, Margaret. I am impressed that you do such terrific recaps without captions. Wow. Everyone who is doing recaps is impressive, and doing them without captions (in either Spanish or English)...whew.

Jeanne
 

Well, I tell myself that I am doing this to keep up and improve my Spanish listening skills so using the CC for me would defeat the purpose. And there's no denying that it's excellent for keeping up with the language, especially with all you folks comfortable with Mexican slang out there. I'll never use the wrong insult at the wrong time, like cascas ligeras or zopenco!
 

Margaret, my personal favorite: ¡Me das asco!

Jeanne
 

I agree Sylvia. I have been dying for some sex appeal on this show. Emilio is hot but has no sex appeal. I wish he would do something, and great recap. I like some others love to watch this show even though it dissapoints me so. I keep hoping htings will happen and then something does but it turns out to be pointless, ie Gaspar telling Alina the truth. She did not believe him anyway.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder