Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Destilando 5/30: it's almost Christmas so young men's thoughts turn to divorce.

  • Poor Bruno was shocked to hear, at the funeral home, that his son Aaron had adroitly scooped up Trejo's client in Hawaii. Rod tells Bruno that he and Mariana had discovered "irregularities" ... (he doesn't tell him, though, how their meeting had been sadly interrupted, before the bubble bath could be wheeled in, by a one-two punch, first the news of Trejo's death and then by the unexpected, irate arrival of Minerva and Isa.)

  • Avellaneda, an important tequila guy, thanks Gav for being so kind first to Trejo and now to his widow Altagracia. She says she feels guilty, but he counters: "Not at all, it's the Montalvo's fault, they're manipulated by Aaron."

    The widow shouts "Assassin!" at Aaron, throws his hand off his shoulder, and accuses him of coming to the velario just to be sure her husband is dead. "You killed him the day you agreed to ship his tequila to Hawaii! Get out of here!" Gav says "You'll be calmer later" but the widow says "I'll hate him till the day he dies. ... and watch out for those Montalvos. None of them inherited Amador's goodness."

    Mariana meets Rod in the hall. He's still glowing about almost getting her into the bubble bath but she says it will never happen again.

  • Bruno is still miserable mulling over Aaron's machinations. Patricio lies to him, saying he didn't know anything about it. (Mentira is another word everybody should learn - it means LIE)

    Bruno tells his son Aaron "You made a terrible mistake. You've dirtied our name." Aaron says: "When time passes and the money rolls in you'll lose your bad humor." Later Bruno complains to Fedra that Aaron has become vile but Fedra says, no, he has a heart of gold...

    Rodrigo is furious at Aaron; he says he's going to give the widow all the money gained by the shady takeover of the Hawaii client. "When it comes to business, you're still in diapers," says Aaron, who reminds Rod that he, Aaron, still owns the business even if Rod is running it. Rod threatens to quit and Aaron starts backing down, saying "You're like a brother." "You're like my brother too, but lately I don't know you any more." "Rod, you wound me! Aww, give me a hug." Rod hugs him reluctantly.

  • In the hospital, Acacia wakes up but, as so often happens in telenovelas, she has amnesia. She remembers her childhood, so she remembers her "depraved" uncle Meliton as being nice. She doesn't recognize James ("Who are you?" "I'm James, who loves you!" "MENTIRA!") and is afraid of him.

    Meliton has convinced the doctor that James was raping Acacia, and since Meliton is Acacia's only relative, she leaves with him. Later Rod arrives to back James up and whispers in Meliton's ear: "No more abuse or you'll pay." He also yells to Acacia: "If anything goes wrong, call me!"

    Meliton really hams it up on the way out, "Here, little niece, walk carefully sweetie..." After they're gone, a nurse comes up and hands the music box to James: "She left it behind." He mopes: "My only memory of Acacia." It probably won't wear out as fast as a cassette tape.

  • After leaving the coffin area, the Bad Trio - Minerva, Aaron, and Fedra - gossip about finding Mariana/Gav in Rod's arms. "If Rod gets divorced, Isa will get half his worldly goods, Rod didn't have a pre-nup like the one I had to sign. Mariana is more dangerous than Gaviota - she's a fox..."

  • Isa leaves in the limo with Pilar, after a few choice hostile words to Rod, the husband she's supposedly trying to keep.

    Sofia, she of the unending flow of unwanted counsel, counsels Rod: "You're going to get a lecture from Grannie about the sanctity of marriage. And you should know that Isa wants Mariana's head to roll."

    Indeed, when Rod is with Pilar later he does get the usual lecture, plus Pilar's new anxiety about clearing the family name and her delight at the expected imminent arrival of her first grandchild. (In real life, does anybody really announce with such delight and confidence that they've -- decided to get pregnant soon?)

  • Aaron has two business meetings in a row in a cafe. First, with his divorce lawyer, who says if Aaron wants a fast separation and divorce he'll have to resort to some "unorthodox" methods which, as you can imagine, doesn't faze Aaron much. Second, wth his crooked crony Oñate, who's annoyed to hear that Aaron, wary of bad publicity, has caved to Rod's demands and, to clear his name, will give the Hawaii dough etc. to the widow. "It was the price of Rodrigo staying - but when things calm down we'll get back in the game."

    Reporters mob Aaron as he gets in his jet. He tells them all the noble things he'll be doing for Trejo's widow and how sorry he is for this lamentable loss. He looks so sad and noble.

    He gets into his jet and there's Pamela (aka Rubberlips) ready to accompany him to Miami. He tells her he'll be divorcing after Christmas and that the house in Miami will be hers. He just has to spend Christmas and New Year's with Minerva and then he'll drop the big one. "Good times are coming" says his woman. At the Miami mansion, he massages her by the pool and there are hijinx.

    [About that stuff on Pamela's head: I've just decided Univision bought a tanker truck full of this revolting red hair color and they're going to keep dipping their various actresses' heads in it till it's all used up. -- Ed.]

  • At home Gaviota mopes about having cancelled her last meeting with Trejo to have a romantic dinner with Rod at the office. She describes the whole embarrassing scene. She reminds us of the promise she made to the Montalvo family: to take care of their business and help Rod. "Ay, but sooner or later I'm going to fail/fall and give myself to Rodrigo again."

    To cheer her up Clara turns on the tv and there, coincidentally at this exact second, appears the interview with Aaron as he's about to enter his jet. Gav is happy to hear what a great guy Aaron is, from his very own lips no less! She cheers up.

  • Back in agave land, at ye olde watering hole, the bartender doesn't want to serve James or have him around, it'll wreck business: "Meliton told everybody you'd been abusing Acacia." James' indignant shouts that he loves and respects Acacia draw a discontented grumble from the extras. They change their tone and utter a more approving grumble after Rod's loud oration: "James is my friend, I'd put my hands in the fire for him! Would any of you do that for Meliton?" The bartender lets James stay, which is good since James more or less lives at this bar.

  • Isa and Sofia are arguing in a cafe. Isa wants Sofia to help get Mariana fired; Sofia reminds Isa how much Rod hates interference. Anyway, it's almost Christmas, and Rod will be seeing less of Marian. "But I don't want them together even one more day." Sofia walks out. Isa calls Minerva and says: "Prove your friendship and help me get rid Mariana."

    At that moment Minerva opens a big envelope from Aaron. I missed the beginning of what it said but it ended with: "The only Christmas present I want is to hear you're expecting a baby."

  • Rod happily babbles to James (a bit thoughtless considering what James is going through): "I was about to get her back! The romantic dinner was doing the trick! I saw that light in her eyes, the same as when we first kissed! I wanted to shout out that Gaviota is the love of my life! But I have to be less impulsive. I'm gonna divorce Isa after Christmas." "Isa won't like that." "I don't care, nobody will stop me."

  • One of the commercials featured a special purple liquid which, if you but sniff it, causes your boring bosses to get their mouths zipped up and renders them completely silent. I think this is a magnificent product.

  • Minerva and Isa burst into Gav's apartment and ask how much money would convince her to leave the company and never see Rod again. She says working for the Montalvos is disagreeable but she promised Pilar she'd stay - and her relationship with Engineer Montalvo is strictly business and always will be - so take your check and shove it where the sun don't shine. They leave.

    Isa says "She seemed sincere," but Minerva counters: "mansa agua (gently flowing water) is dangerous."

  • A week passes, there are cheesy Christmas decorations everywhere. The widow Trejo accepts Gaviota's invitation to spend Christmas at her place with Clara and Benvenuto.

  • "The last workday before Christmas," Elvira informs Gav, "is a half day, and everybody meets for a toast." In the meeting area Rod is very cheerful in a very red sweater and has passed drinks all around and thanks everybody and is giving out presents and compliments Gav in front of everyone and flashes his pearly whites to such effect that Gav, suffering a kiss-bubble, goes to her office to cry and say she still loves him.

  • The smarmy neighbor, who's been in Paris or so he says, comes to Isa's door and gives her a bottle of her favorite perfume "so you'll have something of me on your skin."

Labels:


Comments:
I want the purple liquid. I need the purple liquid. I would put my hands in the fire for the purple liquid...

Marg. in Minnesota
 

Thanks for the recap Melinama. Great title! I missed the purple liquid commercial. It sounds quite fun.

Karen
 

Very Nice recap...I thought last night was kinda boring...Also the funeral home Artemio was in...they had the viewing like 10 minutes after he died, plus a cafeteria..and parking...awesome what a onestop shop...I wonder if they also have gift shops...

Did anyone else notice Aaron's stripes of conflict last nite? On the jet he was wearing a dark jacket with stripes and then gray pants with stripes...was this a mix and match suit...Perhaps that is how Sofia can get up in the morning...knowing that Aaron's "Campus Togs" are not up to what a young man of a certain social status would be wearing....

Also Rod needs to STFU and move on...Pilar will get over it...besides she only has one expression good news, bad news or dead silence..so who cares? She'll never kick him out of the family....and so what if it ruins Christmas..it's not like Isa is gonna be all like "Gee Rod dumped me and I hate him with the fire of 1000 burning Nuns, but we did share that wonderful cup of eggnog and that awkward kiss under the misteltoe, where he pulled away, looked digusted and wiped his cheek with sandpaper" Ah memories
 

As for "moving on," I think the creaking, ungreased wheels of novela plotting are very evident here. Everybody knows the obvious things to do but they are moving v--e--r--y s--l--o--w--l--y mustn't make it impossible for this show to last for untold months. I, too, wish this urge to e--x--t--e--n--d popular novelas could be curbed. Either that, or the devices used to p--r--o--l--o--n--g our agony should be less obvious and dull...
 

Thanks, Melinama! Loved your Ed. comment regarding that B.B. red haircolor...... Floosies R Us. Come to think of it, the two real floosies have the neon haircolor in this show. I wondered how Sayinyawanna? might have fit into this theory, but, since she's stuck in luhhv with Hilario, she remains legitimately brunette. Just thinkin' is all.....
 

E=x=t=e=n=s=i=o=n=s makes me think of that old college ditty about w=i=d=e-m=o=u=t=h f=r=o=g=s which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but I do agree with your frustration and I do not trust the writers to be able to pull off a very satisfying prolongation. On the otherhand you have to wonder what the general IQ level is these folks are aiming for. If it were in the stratosphere this blog wouldn't be half as much fun, I guess.......(I will now slap myself and go sit myself in the "time-out" corner.)
 

OK jardinera, now you have to post the ditty about the frogs. You have my curiosity aroused.

How Isa has hung in there all this time, what with the sandpaper and all, is beyond my imagination.
 

A belated thanks to JR (and Julie) for yesterday's recap and to Jardinera for explaining the Hawaii plot.

I know Aaron is a cad and all, but I don't blame him for getting it on with Pamela. She's a lot more fun than Minnie. I forget, why did he marry Minnie in the first place? Why didn't he marry Pamela?

Also, last night my CC wasn't working well and I have to say, I love the way Granny Pilar enunciates. She was so much easier to understand than all the rest of those fast talkers. I wonder if it's because she has to strain so hard to get her lips to move?

Great recap Melinama. I want to hear the frog ditty too.
 

I don't know the frog ditty either. And I have to say that Melinama gets much better commercials than I do. I get ads for hair-growth tonics and boner pills, which are surprisingly unfunny.

Now that James has the music box, I wonder if he will have to bribe the bar patrons to listen to it over and over again the way Rodrigoo does with his Gaviota tape.

And what is up with Fedra? She and Aaron are so incredibly evil together, it's disturbing. I have to wonder if Bruno is even Aaron's father. (D'oh, would that make Aaron not a true Montalvo? That'd be convenient!)

I hope they have another board meeting soon. I know how much Elvira enjoys serving coffee. It's like her super power.
 

It's said that idle hands are the devil's workshop..In this case,we have two devil divas with nothing to do except keep tabs on the men who don't love them, and who want out,out..
Can't they be given a job in the Montalvo mailroom,as it's probably geared to Isadora & Minnie's abilities,and throw in Sofia in the mix,cause James is not coming back..Can we blame him,but does Acacia have to be the one for him? Strange pairing of those two..
 

I think that's a great idea to put them all in the mailroom. Then they can hang out with Elvira during breaks and get her latest, wildly inaccurate take on the happenings in the executive suite.
 

Thanks for the recap, Melinama. I loved your take on how s-l-o-w-l-y
novelas can be. So right. Some drag on and on....

Speaking of commercials, we get a stupid one here with a guy named 'Yandu' who can forsee the future, etc. Really silly.

I hope Acacia goes away forever. She really creeps me out! James needs to go back to England and forget it!
 

Melinama - bubble bath - LOL! Now, that would be hard to explain to the wife.

becky t - I get Yandu, too. Icky.

Here's how I think Acacia will get rid of bad uncle. He'll try to acostar with her again, and she'll kill him in self defense. Having (or faking it)amnesia is the perfect set up.

As the novela drags on, the producers use the old "months later, 2 weeks later, etc" device to fool us into believing the plot is "moving on". It ain't.
 

It's true about the "two weeks later" thing, Anya, but I think of it this way: at least they're not making us go through those extra two weeks in real time. :)
 

melinama-- thanks for the recap!

now that acasia has amnesia, we can really see what kind of person she would have been without the harrassment of meliton. i think her pairing with james might actually be adequate, because james has the genuine attribute that acacia lost to her uncle's misbehavior ...maybe james could help her bring it back?

anya: interesting observation. if anya is right, then its clear to me that acacia's character will have one of these 2 endings: 1) james will help her heal and her get back on track with her usual self or 2) she will get more disturbed with time and end up dead, in which case sofia & james would end up back together.
 

I think the course of Acacia's amnesia all depends on how long it takes for Meliton to make his first bad move. From the wistful look on his face while he was "hugging her protectively" last night, I'm not sure if he'll even bother to wait until they get home, but I hope I'm wrong. I can only take so much misery in one week, and with Artemio's death I'm already at my limit. :(
 

julie - true, at least there is that consolation (not having to sit thru it "real time").
I have to admit, I do fall for it, and always believe there's going to be some great development...fooled again. :)

tash - good point about seeing Acacia as her "before" self. I like that, and hope she really does have amnesia, and ends up with James.
Maybe she'll never remember how to scowl again, either.
 

Melinama, thanks for the great recap!
 

That Fedra is a piece of work,as she demands her son divorce Minnie, and in the same breath asking him if he has any new prospects for the next Mrs.Aaron Montalvo? Love it..
 

Thanks for the recap. I also could do without the creepy James, Acacia part. James is mistaking pity for love. Somehow it doesn't fit into the overall scheme.
 

Okay........You asked for it!!

This is something you have to hear reapeated out loud, and granted, it was always much more fun when sitting around getting plastered in Jr. College with adult beverages in the state of Kansas where beer was legal at 18 at the time, and smoking the "e-vile weed" a.k.a. tobacco, preferably Marlboros, with that hunky cowboy in mind that Rodrigoooooo so fondly resembles with that south of the Rio Grand allure. Just so happens that this link below has a recording of the thing!! Click on Track #9. "Wide Mouth Frog" --It gives me the giggles even now 35 years later......... I am sure some of you must remember this!

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/swenson


[You can change/add the type of animals to forest ones like bears and berries, etc.] Here is one version written out. Sesame Street and other preschool things like that have latched on to it and/or vice versa in the interim.

There was once a wide mouth frog. She had babies and she didn't know what
to feed them. She went to the cow, talking with her mouth real wide, she
said, "COW, WHAT DO YOU FEED YOUR BABIES?" The Cow said, "I feed my babies
milk." She went on to the horse. Talking with her mouth real wide, she
said, "HORSE, WHAT DO YOU FEED YOUR BABIES?" "I feed my babies hay." said
the horse. Finally she came to a snake (or an alligator). Talking with her mouth real wide, she said, "SNAKE, WHAT DO YOU FEED YOUR BABIES?" The snake/alligator said, "I feed my babies wide mouth frogs." So the frog said, with her mouth really
small, "Oh, is that so."
 

LOL! That is adorable!
 

That smarmy neighbor seemed equally smarmy when he was on ''Bailando.'' He seemed to be a legend in his own mind there. too. When Ema Pulido gave him her famous low scores , I thought that he would combust on the spot and dematerialize. As for giving Isa the perfume ''so you will have something from me on your skin''...ewwww...creeped me out....that would be a great line coming out of Rodrigooo's mouth but not this guys. He gives me the creeps ...what a flattering, insincere, conceited kiss-up ! I do not like him....could you tell ? I'm pretty sure that I dated his older brother or cousin in high school.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder