Sunday, May 27, 2007

Synopsis (summary) of "Yo Amo a Juan Querendón" translated into English

After I looked up those adorable You-Tube clips of the new show (for instance here is the opening sequence), I found the sinopsis and here's my rough translation. It sounds fun, and without murder... It will follow "La Fea."

This is the story of Juan Domínquez, an incorrigible womanizer who comes to Mexico City escaping his home town precisely because of his skirt-chasing woes. It's a funny story which presents a telenovela galán (leading man) with peculiar, eye-catching characteristics. He isn't rich, he isn't sexy (??), he doesn't look good and is a hardened Don Juan (even if just a little?) but he has a good heart.

Upon his arrival, Juan stumbles upon the love of his life, and further, he becomes a great help to the Cachón family, composed completely of women. They are: Nidia and her daughters Marely and Yadira, who just suffered the loss of the head of the household, who abandoned them to go to heaven. Juan feels bound to help them and transforms into the new provider of this house - above all, the provider of happiness.

Juan gets work as chauffeur to the Farell business and that's where he bumps into the love of his life, Paula Dávila, a sexy muchacha who's way above him (in socioeconomic status I suppose). Further, she's profoundly in love with César Luis Farell, her boss and owner of the business. Being around the woman he loves, Juan becomes her confidante and friend, and can't avoid falling in love with her more all the time, even though he knows her heart belongs to another man.

In this new scenario, Jaun begins to create his own universe, full of big lies, but good intentions. He will become a key person in the lives of all he comes near, filling them with happiness with his smile from ear to ear, with his particular way of dressing and speaking.

Juan has a very high estimation of "Woman;" for him, she is the most beautiful being on the face of the earth, the masterwork of creation, and therefore, women deserve to be respected and venerated as deities. Juan falls hopelessly in love with them because, in reality, he is in love with love.

He believes himself to be the sexiest, the most attractive, the best dancer, the one who knows everything. He plays by his own rules and, of course, always ends up winning. In few words, Juan Domínquez is a deep guy, he's a third-world Hercules who thinks he can do everything; he thinks himself hard, relentless, unfeeling. But at heart he is all generosity; he brings help, he is reliable, he is pure love, pure friendship, pure naivety.


Here's the original so you can correct me...

Esta es la historia de Juan Domínguez, un mujeriego implacable que llega a la Ciudad de México escapando de su pueblo natal, precisamente por un problema de faldas. Es una historia divertida que presenta a un galán de telenovela con características muy peculiares y llamativas. No es rico, no es guapo, no viste bien y, por si fuera poco, es un Don Juan empedernido, pero de buen corazón. A su llegada, Juan tropieza con el amor de su vida y, además, se transforma en el gran apoyo de la familia Cachón, integrada exclusivamente por mujeres. Ellas son Nidia y sus hijas Marely y Yadira, quienes acaban de sufrir la pérdida del jefe de la casa que las abandonó para irse al cielo. Juan se siente comprometido a ayudarlas y se transforma en el nuevo proveedor de esa casa, sobre todo, de felicidad.

Cuando Juan consigue trabajo como chofer de la empresa Farell, es ahí donde vuelve a toparse con el amor de su vida, Paula Dávila, una guapa muchacha que está muy por encima de él. Además, ella está profundamente enamorada de César Luis Farell, su jefe y dueño de la empresa. Con tal de estar cerca de la mujer que ama, Juan se convierte en su confidente y amigo, y no puede evitar enamorarse aún más de ella, aunque sabe que su corazón le pertenece a otro hombre.

Con este nuevo escenario, Juan empieza a crear su propio universo, plagado de grandes mentiras, pero lleno de buenas intenciones. Llegará a ser la persona clave en la vida de todos los que le rodean, contagiándolos de alegría con su sonrisa de oreja a oreja, con su particular forma de vestir y hablar. Juan tiene un concepto muy elevado de la mujer, para él, es el ser más hermoso sobre la faz de la tierra, la obra de arte de la creación, y por esa razón, las mujeres merecen ser respetadas y veneradas como deidades. Juan se enamora perdidamente de ellas porque, en realidad, es un enamorado del amor.

El cree ser el más guapo, el más atractivo, el mejor bailarín, el que todo lo sabe. Sólo juega con reglas propias y, por supuesto, siempre termina ganando. En pocas palabras, Juan Domínguez es un tipo entrañable, es el Hércules tercermundista que cree que puede con todo; se cree duro, implacable, insensible. Pero en el fondo es todo generosidad; es apoyo, es confianza, es puro amor, pura amistad, pura ingenuidad.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I think this sounds good. I would rather watch another comedy than a melodrama. Is this the replacement for LFMB, or for Duelo?
 

Thanks for posting this. The sinopsis makes it sound a lot more appealing than the incredibly lackluster ads they've been showing during LFMB.
 

I see that Alexis Ayala is in it. I liked him in Barrera (for as long as I watched it that is). I see he plays the rich guy. Thanks for translating Melinama. This looks promising.
 

I agree with all of you - I am really out of the mood for novelas in which there are a lot of deaths. Life is brutal enough... also the you-tube segments I saw were ADORABLE.
 

I'll probably give it a try even though I'm not much of a fan of Eduardo Santamaria. This is slated as the replacement for LFMB. Frankly I'm amazed that they aren't showing these comedies in the 7 PM slot instead of the really violent Duelo. It is the family hour after all.
 

Thanks, Melinama! There's that term again, una problema de faldas. Sounds like a good one. Is this what replaces LFMB?

Jeanne
 

Duelo is very violent, needlessly so. Add to that the constant hitting and beating if women who refuse to stand up for themselves and I am ready for something more lighthearted. I wish Juan Querendon were coming to the 7:00 pm time slot.

I just watched some of the segments on You Tube. They are really cute and funny, and is that Maná singing the theme song? They are one of my favorite bands! The You Tube segment where Juan Querendon comes to Lety in her dream is hilarious.
 

Thanks for the synopsis, and especially for translating it! This really does look fun. I agree, Anonymous 4:03, I don't understand why they put something as violent as Duelo on in the 7:00 slot!

I looked up a couple things on Word Reference (always working on my feeble Espanol)-

"...y, por si fuera poco..."
It looks like we could translate this as "as if that weren't enough..."


"Juan Domínguez es un tipo entrañable..."
I wonder if "entranable" here might be closer to another common use: "pleasant". So Juan would be a pleasant kind of guy? Not sure, but looking forward to meeting him.

KJK
 

Sylvia - you certainly have seniority - AND you folks in the 7 pm slot have suffered two pretty rotten shows in a row - so I think if you'd like to switch we ought to be able to make that happen... anybody know what's coming next at 7 pm, and how soon?
 

I have no idea what follows Duelo. Margaret mentioned a telenovela called Trópico. Gosh, I hope I didn't sound sound whiny or depressed when I said I wished JQ would come to the 7:00 pm time slot. (But yes, we 7 o'clockers have had a couple of dogs, no offense to Tonki/Donkey/Sweet little doggie.) I'm sure things will work themselves out as they usually do. I think we have about 4 weeks left of Duelo.
 

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I hope it's good.
 

Thanks for this post Melinama. It looks promising and seems to be a comedy.

Does anyone with more novela experience know how often comedic novelas are made? LFMB was my first.

Sylvia and all the other recappers of the 7 o'clock hour - bless you. Though Heridas was disappointing (but I did see Guy Ecker for the first time and am going to check out his older stuff), it was not as violent and completely misognynistic as Duelo. It is shocking that a show with that much violence against women is shown so early in the evening.

Karen
 

I think the Spanish language programming available for kids in my area is terrible, and putting Duelo and Heridas into the (7:00/6:00 Central) slot was unforgivable. You notice that I never stopped watching once I got hooked on Duelo, though.

Jeanne
 

After seeing the Youtube spot Melinama put on La Fea's comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOJvSATOP9Y
I am SO going to watch this! I don't know how I feel about those shirts (maybe they're just for the ads?) but this Santamaria guy is HUGE! I love big guys. Also, is anyone else reminded of Antonio Banderis? (That Galan is funny even when he doesn't mean to be :p
Oh that was an awful thing to say and I love that guy!) Meanwhile, I am wondering what I shall do without Fernando....

Lori
 

OK, I admit that I kind of like Duelo because it's like some sort of freaky Shakespearean Grimm's Brother tale. I must be sick. But I still hate the rampant misogyny, the unimaginably weak behavior from most of the women, and I LOATHE watching Don Loco punch Doña Loco at the beginning of every episode. I close my eyes for that part.
 

We're all still with you, Sylvia, watching everything except DL punch Señora de Loco. So, no, you're not sick or we all are.

Jeanne
 

Oh....just found this new page---you guys are such a fabulous resource for me! I hardly have to wonder about anything with this blog.
OK- so it turns out we are all watching YO AMO....great! Seems like a great choice , a nice upbeat choice! Eduardo is no Jaime, but he will certainly do! None of you mentioned DESTILANDO on this page. I am so hooked on this one and I sure hope we have another few months of it. I can't bear another loss at this point. The transitions are quite difficult for me.
 

I found a five-minute promotional video - actually I think it's the video that goes with the text Melinama translated here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvoQ20AevgU

I think I understand why they show the crappier novelas at 7 and then put on the more popular stuff during prime time: because they need ratings. If they had put Duelo or Heridas on at 8:00 they probably would not have been able to beat the TW/UPN/CW networks during that time slot, as they did with La Fea. (I can't guarantee that Juan Q will have the same effect, but it has been pretty popular in Mexico.)

It's unfortunate, but I can understand it.
 

Thanks for the link Julie.

Your explanation makes sense as to why these shows are on at 7 pm. And like Sylvia and Jeanne said, its Don Loco beating down or terrorizing his wife and other women that turns my stomach. The other parts of Duelo are usually completely mockable.

Karen
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder