Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Destilando 8/29: in which everybody asks: "Who does that little varon look like?"

You know how, when somebody dies in a novela, all the main characters get a chance, one by one, to emote over the death? We have that tonight, except it's emoting over the birth. Everybody troops in and out of that hospital room. And as far as recapping goes: anybody could have looked at the show and made up the dialogue and gotten it 100% on the money. You didn't need me at all.

Gaviota, in an effort to make herself feel even worse, goes baby shopping. Listening to an annoying lullaby machine, she clasps her own belly wistfully. As the music repeats over and over (I myself would shoot that tedious gizmo dead) she thoughtbubbles: "Oh little baby, be a sweet blessing for my Rodrigo." She prays nicely for the health and happiness of mother and son.

Rod, arriving home despondent having ditched his wilting flowers somewhere, gets the news that Isa's in the hospital. He heads out.

At the boring tequila meeting (there are an awful lot of tequila bottles on that table), Dr. Blondie mopes and everybody misses Mariana. Alonso says he needs coffee to wake himself up. Isn't that interesting?

Rod gets to the hospital waiting room and who should be the only person there but Gaviota. The classic telenovela line (second only to No Puede Ser) is uttered: Que Haces Aqui? "What are you doing here?" (Then the other person can fill us in with all the stuff we need to know or already know.) He's impactado to hear: "Isa found out somehow we were meeting. She was very nervous and her pains began, I brought her here. We were afraid the baby would be born in the car. Now I've seen with my own eyes how she suffers for you."

Gav gives him whichever wussy little outfit she bought at Babies R Us and says (after Rod begs her to) that she's willing to stay until they find out everything's ok. He says: "I should be the happiest man on earth, but I'm so sad. I always thought you would be the mother of my children." "That was my dream too, but it's impossible. Confront your reality."

Their sweet and desperate hug is interrupted by the arrival of the doctor saying
everything is fine and it's a boy. "Love your baby, Rodrigo, take care of them both. And give Isa this message: congratulate her and say I wish her a happy home full of peace. Now a new life begins for you, Rodrigo."

She leaves, he moons. She meets up with Daniela and Pilar in the hallway - Pilar graciously asks: "Why the hell are you here?" "Ask Rodrigo." Pilar graciously asks Daniela: "Why the hell is she so friendly with you?" "She's my sister in law!" Elvis cheers. Pilar continues to mull: "Why was the baby born so early? Is it related to Mariana being here?"

Outside, Gaviota cries. Her misery has caused her hair extensions to become unattractively dislocated. She takes a taxi and hies herself to the boring tequila meeting.

It's time to call everybody, even though "this news is going to kill half of our family." Minerva is unfavorably impactada to hear from Pilar the heir has arrived. ("Did Aaron have a heart attack?" chortles Daniela.)

Pilar expects the opposing team to show up but "I can't cancel my witch doctor appointment to go see that awful baby," opines Minerva. Aaron says she has to! They can't appear to be as hideously envious as they in fact are.

He also decides to go down to Mexico and steal Rod's organic tequila idea, because he thinks the North American thirst for novelty will make it profitable. Minerva, ever interested in these business details, asks subtly: "Are you going to kill the baby?" Aaron: "It's a possibility, but there may be other ways to deal with the little snotnose."

Hearing the news (GOALLLLLLLLL!) Sofia's all happy but Frankie is, unaccountably, nervously hyperventilating. She says they'll take the next flight. Frankie says he has too much "work" to go. She wheedles him into it and then rushes off to tell James, Rod's best friend.

Gav arrives at the boring tequila meeting and all are glad to see her, especially Dr. Blondie. Her hair extensions miraculously repaired, she rushes off to call her ma, who is all upset about the whole business and wildly dusts her television shrine. Alonso catches Gaviota crying. Big Boss Tequila chuckles to Alonso that he's much happier when Mariana is around...

In the crowded hospital room Daniela is first to ask, with a soupçon of suspicion: "Who does this baby look like?"

When they are alone, Isa asks Rod where Gaviota is. She accuses: "I found out about your plan to meet!" He says let's not fight, and then transmits Gaviota's kindly message about a peaceful house. "Does that mean she'll keep her nose out of our marriage? I'll only have peace when she's DEAD."

Next morning, Rod is reluctant to hold the baby. Isa says the baby looks like Rod and says: "Now, we're a family!" Rod looks like, uh, not so much.

Gaviota and Dr. Blondie are mutually surprised to see each other at work very early. Dr. Blondie goes on once again about the excellent features of coffee and says Balzac drank a whole lot of coffee.

Next arrivals in the hospital: Sofia, Frankie, Fedra, and James. Frankie perks up at the sight of this child, which is probably his. Next, Isa's parents arrive. Ricardo says he's strutting like a peacock to be a grandfather. He leaves and Ma admits he hasn't made any progress towards paying his creditors, but that it won't matter cause Rod will be so happy about being a dad he won't notice.

Isa says the baby's name is Ricardo. It's planned to get him legally registered as a Montalvo as quickly as possible. Isa's mom: "It's lucky the baby looks like you." Isa: "It's lucky Rod thinks I'm the most faithful woman in the world."

Fedra: "No way the baby looks like Rodrigo. Baby Rod was hairy, hairy, hairy!"

Rod is starting to wonder if perhaps Elvira is spying for Isa.

At the market, Clarita tells Jose she doesn't think this little varon is really Rod's son. Jose says, "When my son comes to visit, I'll ask about all this," and then reminds Clarita that this son (smarmie Frankie, who is, you recall, the illegitimate son of some spoiled wealthy brat of the de la Vega family) did not even invite her to his wedding to Sofia! "Maybe he won't even let me see my grandson!" (Heh.)

Jose continues [in the style known to the world as How many mothers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? None, dear, I'll just sit here in the dark, don't worry about me]: "Now that he's part of this important rich family, why should Francisco hang around with a poor ignorant woman like me?" "But a mother is sacred," chants Clarita. "A mother is sacrifice."

Gav moons and tells Nancy she needs a heart transplant in order to forget Rodrigo.

At the hospital, evil music cues the entrance of Aaron and Minerva. Minerva points out the baby is blond! Bruno says the baby looks like Rod. Aaron says no he doesn't. "All that matters is that he is a Montalvo," says somebody but I forget who. Minerva: "Isa, why was your baby two weeks early?" "Ask Rod and Gaviota."

Tomorrow: Aaron asks the doctor if it's really true that Isa got artificial insemination. Gaviota opines that life is unfair.

Labels:


Comments:
Very awesome recap..I just watched it & you summed it up most quite well.

I have some advise for some of the characters..Dr. Blondie..for the love of Gawd, move on past the coffee, now more than ever I am sure your wife died of boredom..Hey maybe if you went on another TeleNovela & played a really bad guy? Ooooops you say that has been done and that one got no extensions? Okay, well for someone jonesing for another caffiene fix, you are so dull, if you went caffiene free you'd probably forget to breathe and just die.

Aaron this is for you..I saw the unbuttoned shirt thing at the hospital..Stop right now, stop watching old Miami Vice reruns..Dude you look like a hustler from Key West.

Rod here is an idea, you could do the old DNA on the sly. If the kid is your's well okay..if not you get a get out of mujer jail free card. Surely you gotta wonder, I mean even under the best of circumstances; like your wife wasn't boinking someone else...Labs make mistakes. Take it and run like the wind.

Other viewers, yes I know that the kid isn't Rod's, but he can only comprehend very small ideas...so we must work slowly here.
 

You know what would have been more interesting? If Alonso had said, "coffee isn't stimulating enough for me any more, so I'm gonna go snort some coke."

I don't know why everyone (in the show last night) was so concerned about Isa being two weeks early. Two weeks is nothing. Both my sister and I were two weeks before our due dates. Three of my sister's four kids were about two weeks early. (The last was two days late!)

Sofia is the one who said "the important thing is that he's a Montalvo." Of all the Montalvo women, she's been the one who pushed the hardest for Isa to get pregnant, and the one most concerned about losing her access to the family fortune (else she'd have to get a job ironing shirts). Since she's also the prissiest, I'm very curious as to how she will take the news that Little Ricky is actually a de la Vega.

I think Nuria should get the award for most amusing performance in this episode. She overplayed her nervousness a little, I think, but best of all was when someone mentioned the baby's blond hair. In an effort to deflect concern over the child's paternity, Nuria blurts, "Isa was born with black hair, but look at her now."

I couldn't figure out if she meant for that to be as funny as it was. :)
 

And here is some telenovela-related humor.
 

Thanks, Melinama. Excellent ! Who says that telenovelas are not educational ....we now know that Balzac drank a lot of coffee. That little gem could serve as a great icebreaker at the next cocktail party we attend. Also, I am going to decoupage a plaque for over my desk with that advice Gav gave to Rod : ''Confront your reality.'' Is that the same as ''Get real, Dude.'' ???? And, I am raising my little hand and I AM willing to stand in line for one of Rod's ''sweet , desperate [LARGE 17-171/2 SIZED ]hugs.'' Please, Sir...may I have more???'' I agree that Gav was , indeed, having a bad hair extensions day. Pobrecito. And, I especially enjoyed the adverb/adjective combination : ''hideously envious'' describing are favorite evil couple from Hell AAron and Minervaaaaa and your description of Clarita ''wildly dusting'' her flatscreen shrine. Thanks..That was enjoyable...now.... I'm off to confront my reality.
 

Love the telenovela humor, Julie...thanks for the click-on link. Yes, we're learning how to say all sorts of passionate, dramatic things, but it doesn't come up much in real life (at least not in mine).

Judy B.
 

Julie^^^Loved the cartoon !
 

That cartoon was great! Thanks for posting it Julie.
 

When Francisco looked at the baby, didn't he say " He looks like his papa." And Isa smirked.
 

Great recap of another action packed thriller. For some strange reason I kinda liked the scene with Gavi baby shopping. She seemed so at peace. I was glad that for once Rod understood why Gavi couldn't keep their date. I was prepared to see that develop into a huge misunderstanding. Oh, and about the Roses, what about the possibility that they are those fake silk flowers? On yesterdays comment page, someone made a comment that Dani's visit to Gavi was manipulative. It did come across that way but I think that Dani knew that she had to play "hard ball" with Gavi. Gavi even complimented that approach as what she needed. In the scene in the hospital lobby, it was obvious that she loved Rod as much as ever. Those luscious hugs would have never been possible without Dani's hard ball approach.
 

FFF did say the baby looked like his father and Isa did smirk. I'll be interest to see if they actually do find a way to sneak in a DNA test since Rod is too dumb to think of it and Isa sure as hell won't want one. It would be hilarious if the baby had opened his eyes and they were that light piercing shade Aron has. They would have a real Montalbo heir but a couple of marriages would go up in flames.

Poor Alonzo is sleep inducing but a nice change of pace for RS just like Amar Sin Limites. I do enjoy seeing traditional galans get out of their comfort zone and he certainly has.

I've come to the conclusion that Rod and Gavi must be secretly in to S and M with the way they keep delibertately setting themselves up to be hurt. The writers obviously think their behavior is romantic but it is getting tedious.
 

Thanks, Julie, for that link. Super funny! My hubby gets a kick out of telling folks he knows how to say the important things in Spanish lingo now like: "Don't touch me!", "I'm pregnant!", "No way!" and "Shut up!" Gotta love him for sticking with it, though.... 68 ? )
=====
My favorite part was Dani taking out her claws finally and daringly raising her eyebrows at Isa and pretty much declaring war. I've been waiting for Aaron and Fedra to take charge again. This time I find myself rootin' for the away team.
 

Julie, I also wondered why the writers gave the time of conception only 2 weeks leeway. Only in novela land could this small period lead to so much suspicion about paternity. But
I'm sure it is laying the ground work to prove that Isa concieved 2 weeks before she was supposedly insimenated.
 

About the 2 wks. premature delivery, I was wondering if it might be used as a reason to blame Mariana, i.e., putting Isa and the baby at risk by still carrying on with Rod, and to use this as a scandal in a final attempt to get her fired for breaking her agreement with Avellaneda.
Otherwise, it could point to Hilario as the father because he had that little romp with her a bit before Xmas. If the baby was actually full term and even as much as 10 days overdue, then he might be the true papa.
 

I told my husband last night that Gavi is such a better person than I am...baby present, I don't think so. Better to buy something and donate it in the name of the Varon. If things go to plan, this kid will never want for anything.

I am so much not a better person. The last thing I would want to do is face an ex crying about how he wants me but just had a kid with someone else & is now eternally tied to her to live in misery..
Poor Poor pitiful you..

However a few tequila shots & a big smile would probably sway me...Damn you Rod
 

I figure a ride to the hospital and a deposit on the room is already a perfectly adequate baby gift.

And yet somehow I doubt Isa will be sending a thank-you card. Or if she does, it'll have anthrax powder in it or something. :)
 

sndlcI was teary through out the tender parts of Gavi and Rodi's scenes. They are both such bad, bad, bad communicators which gives rise to tan mucho of their misunderstandings but they are so romantic, I can't help forgiving the heaps of stupidity that get them triste y torcido siempre (sad and twisted forever). Al otro lado, wasn't it delicious to see Dani con ojos claros asks Isa about the parentage, and Frankie and Isa carried on several bounces of the old pingpong ball teasing about the baby looking like its father now and hopefully even more like him in the future, smirk, smirk. It is the closest to pleasant that Isa has been, guess she really needs to be the center of attention like she tries to convince Gavi she is. Even though she just uses the Montalvo's for money, she shows a drive to make Rodi pay homage to her continually. She was so unpleasantly shrill thoughout the pregnancy and so paranoid. You Real Moms might think that is normal but my friends with babies were too tired to be shrill or even nasty toward the end of pregnancy. But then they didn't have the beautiful Rod to worry about either. The drive to torture Gavi resurfaces immediately after delivery. What devilish looks she can give even without tons of eye makeup. Well. at least the baby shots are truly cute and innocent.
I wish Doctor Coffee would get more romantic, he is so nice right after an episode of Amar Sin Limites. Gavi needs a consolation prize like now.
 

I am enjoying the new nicknames : Dr. Blondie and Dr. Coffee [Is he Mr. Coffee's hermano ???] I think thay Gavi bought that little baby outfit to give to Rod for his new varon. I don't think she was thinking of Isa. I think she was thinking of her baby. I think it was a really sweet gesture. It's difficult enough to see Rod having a baby with someone else. The fact that she lost Rod's baby makes it even harder for Gavi. When will this show start to turn . i=I want to see the evil punished and the righteous few rewarded.
 

Speaking of that deposit at the hospital--Just curious, but anyone got any idea what that might have cost her, I mean besides the average arm and leg and maybe the rights to her first born? Or maybe hospitals are cheap south of the border, dunno.
-----

I am more than ready to see Rene on display..... I mean, I've had enough exotic already. I'm anxious for a little more anglo with my saxon, a little more baby and blue with the kind of eyes that have "it", and still waters running deep.
 

Wow, after yesterday's blog title of lucy and ethel it was very funny that the baby is named Ricardo--little Ricky! Did anyone else catch that? Thanks for the continued great recapl!
 

Loved the comment about Gavi's hair extensions and the cartoon from Julie. I can hardly wait for the large, baby-shaped anvil to finally drop into the family gathering and squash some deserving person flat. And I loved the mother/lightbulb joke too. Thanks, Melinama.
 

First of all who ever is in charge of this site... A MILLION THANK YOUS!!! i use to make fun of my mom for watching this show and now I base my evening around it. This site catches me up on all the stuff I sometimes dont have a chance to see. I LOVE YOU. Anyway, I cant wait for today's show! I hope more than anything they end up together. By the way... any one notice how dark and icky looking isa's tummy was? ewwww
 

Well, the previews just answered my question. I knew Gavi should never have just handed over a credit card to a hospital cashier like that!
 

Thanks, Melinama! Great recap!!! I really LOVE this site!

Just wanted to throw this thought out there "for your consideration" (a la 'Rod' Sterling - any Twilight Zone fans out there...) instead of delivering two weeks early, could it not be that Isa delivered her baby two weeks late?!?!?...hmmm. So going from that premise, who's the daddy? No other than kissin' cousin-in-law Arron! I think there is a striking resemblance with Lil' Ricky (except for the mustache of course.) Did Fedra see it too?

Dani should suggest Rod, Arron, Minnie, Swarmy Frankie, Isa and Sofia visit Maury (Povich) Show. I don't normally watch the show but I'd pay to see those DNA results would be (as would Clarita and Dona Jose.)

Keep the great recaps coming!
 

That DNA test could prove pretty dicey, like damned if you do and damned if you don't for Aaron, cuz if it's his baby how does he explain that to Minnie Mouth?
 

I think the baby is Aaron's. Did you see the way it reached up and grabbed Minnie by the lips when she was holding it?

On a somewhat related note, what is it with women and babies anyhow? We all know that Minnie is really nasty, but she gets the baby in her arms and she's all cooing and smiling like Mother Theresa. Weird. Maybe I should keep a pack of baby pictures in my pocket for when I piss my wife off. As soon as she starts ranting...BABY...and she goes all gooshey!
 

COLUNGA RIDES AGAIN!!!

Oh my gosh...I know this isn't the absolute appropriate spot to post this, but I don't know how else to put this out there. If any recappers or Melinama read this, please feel free to post as a bulletin notice! I might be the last to know this, but Fernando Colunga, the King of the Telenovela, has a MOVIE coming out on Friday, 8/31/07, being released in selected US cities. (Check you local listings. The only ones I know for sure are LA & Miami).

"Ladrón Que Roba A Ladrón'" (A Thief Who Steals From a Thief"), an ensemble caper comedy in the vein of "Ocean's 11), also stars other telenovela vets, including Saul Lisazo, Gabriel Soto and Sonya Smith. USA Today gave it 3 out of 4 stars. See the review at: http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/reviews/2007-08-30-review-thief_N.htm

Here's the link to the Yahoo!Movies page with the English trailer & more info: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809786788/info.

The trailer looks great so if this film is playing in your city, check it out!
 

thanks for the recap Melinama and thanks for that link Julie. Both were a hoot.
 

Hair extension? This show is full of them. The hairdresser at Televisa must be smoking "something" stronger than cigarettes,because the hair extensions on Gavi,Isadora and Minnie are made of plastic and look gawd awful. When Gavi runs, hers separates from her real hair. Isadora even worse. When there's camera shot of the side or back of her head,the extension leaves big whole between the little hair she has and the extension. If a novice like me can see these faux paus,can't the professionals see them? Could it be their concentration is on dressing the TWB in fur lined boots with a knockoff Gucci handbag on her arm,as she surveys the agave fields looking for Rodrigo?
 

marie celeste:

Thanks for the heads up. I've seen it advertised on Uni now, and I am sure it'll be a fun movie, but I don't believe I'm ready to shell out $30 to go see it with the hubster, let alone with English subtitles. Anyway, the Spanish-speaking population around here is a lot, but not enough to warrant a theater chain taking it on like in LA or Miami. I'll have to wait for the local Blockbusters, I guess. >8 ? )
 

The kid is not Aaron's if there were even the possibility...we would get one of the flashbacks this show is so famous for. The Aaron flashback last night was because Minnie asked if he thought Isa would cheat on Rod. Hell yeah, but it was way before this that she did Aaron, thus everytime Isa has a flashback..it is in a hawttub, with Frankie. The child was conceived when she went on her lil retreat, the same time Rod was playing Lost with Gavi...

Although they could do a DNA test using AAron for the Y chromosome which is pasted directly from Father to son, thus both Rod & AAron being products of sons from Don Amador..the baby should match AAron as well as Rod, but that is only the Y chromosome. It passes unchanged as it has no counter-part on the DNA sequence. This is how it was decided that Tom Jefferson was likely the father of slave children. (the white side of the Jefferson's still say it was a close relative of Tom..but not him) anyway the facts support the rumor. This was also done with a group of Blacks in Africa that always said they were descendents of AAron (Moses' brother..) of course no one believed them...well guess what, same Y as a group in Isreal. Of course this only works if there was never any cheating.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder