Friday, August 03, 2007

Juan Q 8/2, Where we hear a tale of two hells and Juan riega el tepache

Maricruz graciously steps in for Sylvia, and I post on her behalf:

All I can say is wow!!! This is my first recap, and now I can see how dedicated our regular recappers are. Thank you for all you hours of hard work. This is my little homage to you.

We open the show with Yvone asking Marely: is that Zorra (I love this word it sound so shrewd J ) you sister?, Marely gets upset and tell her to leave her sister alone.

In the cemetery.

Ana tells Nidia, That Samuel didn’t want his daughters to grow up with divorced parents, Lidia – Yeah definitely that was Samuel he always had an excuse for everything and time for nothing but, I still don’t understand what he found in your house that he couldn’t find in mine (mmm… I don’t know… love, care, a meal?) What did you give him Ana? (Lidia makes suggestive movements with her hands). Lidia – I would only give him love, unconditional love, love that did not asked for anything in return, maybe a love that was too easy (noooo you think? ) I was his lover, his companion, his accomplice, but never his wife. Would he talk about me? Asked Lidia, No, I would not allow it, that topic was very painful for me and he understood it. Lidia – And you, did not feel any remorse? Ana – At the beginning yes, it was becoming a torture, but you learn to live with it for love, Lidia – And him? Didn’t he feel guilty? Ana – Come on Lidia! Men have a different concept of guilt. (I agree) they are only interested in being loved, why are we (women) so stupid, so stupid??

At the blessed house
Alirio has been waiting and waiting Yadira walks into the patio. Alirio –Ah! Yadira, Yadirita, I’m so happy to see you, so beautiful as always, it was about time somebody arrived, I have been here for more that an hour waiting for somebody to open that blessed door (it sounds wear in English, but when you want to make a point in Spanish you add the adjective blessed, let’s say that I’m tired of hearing you talking about your dog, I can tell you “stop talking about your blessed dog”). Yadira – Well you are going to keep on waiting, because if my mother is not home I won’t be the one to welcome you!.
Alirio – But, what temper!, what is wrong with you?, you should give me a little respect (I could not help but remember Rodney Dangerfield “I get no respect!!”) Respect!!!??? Please Don Alirio, don’t be ridiculous, after all you have being doing, you have no right to ask for respect!!

Back to the cemetery
Ana –I had only one choice if I wanted to keep him with me, sometimes I felt like mandarlo a volar (give him the boot), I had very strong doubts, I wondered if what I was doing was right, after all Samuel had a wife and two daughters, but I loved him, and that was my only truth, it (the affair) just happened and I could not go back, Lidia – At least you were courageous you fought for his love, some of us were not, and got conformed with whatever we could get, maybe that is why Samuel stayed with you, because you fought for him. Ana –I don’t know if that was the reason and I really don’t care; especially now….. I don’t judge him. The only thing I can’t forgive him is that he didn’t remember his daughter before he died … (Indeed!!!)


At the blessed house by the blessed door
Alirio – Please Yadirita, you have to control yourself, you can’t go attacking people like this. Yadi – Why not! Why not! You not only betrayed my father, but you also are blackmailing my mom, you are a thief. AlirioMua, a thief? Tell me, tell me; what did your mother say to you? Yadi –Everything!! Ratero sinvergüenza (shameless thief), Alirio –but Yadirita everything I have done I’ve done it for your mother’s well being Yadi – Don’t touch me don’t touch me.. I don’t even what to see you. Alirio – But yadirita please. YadiAaah! And if you are going to wait for my mom you have to wait on the street, because I will never let you enter my house, never!

Back at the cemetery
Ana – There was a moment when everything was so ordinary and normal, that I started to feel uncertainty, insecurity and fear. Lidia – Fear?, fear to what exactly? Ana – When we were together everything was exceptionally beautiful, I was afraid of caerme de la nube (falling from my cloud) I had accepted a game and there was nothing to retain Samuel by my side he could leave any day, any time and I could do nothing about it. Lidia – That is why you decided to have a child. Ana –Well I thought it was the only way I could retain Samuel for ever with me, (if I had a child) he would never leave me.

At the Pared residence
CL enters the house running and with a commercial impactado face. CL – Consuelo how is Monica doing? Consuelo just cries CL the see the doctor coming down the stairs CL –Ricardo! Ricardo! How is Monica doing?

And back to our story of two hells

In the Cemetery

Lidia – I doesn’t seem a good reason to have a child. Ana –Well nobody said that love was logical, at that point in time I was afraid that I was going to end up alone Lidia –Fear, Fear to solitude, I know that feeling not even our children can stop it. Ana – It was too late when I realized this, that is why although Paula is everything to me I recognize that you are right, it was not fair for her, and it was a mistake. I would have wanted for my daughter a family, a home like yours. Lidia –Don’t believe that my home was a great marvel, which is why Samuel looked for you. Ana –Maybe, but he never left you to marry me and that has to count for something. And you Nidia, why knowing that I existed never had the courage to leave him? Lidia – Listen Anita, I don’t know if you know, that before you he had another one or two(affairs). Ana – No I never knew, part of our agreement was that I never asked anything. Lidia –Very convenient for him. Ana –Why did you allow him to deceive you? Lidia – because you also learn to leave with lies... I loved him, I had my moments of happiness a few of them but I had them, Ana –did you loved him? Lidia –I did love him but as I was learning of his betrayals my love was turning into resentment and sometimes even hate… but I loved him a lot, especially at the beginning, I got married for love, but his promise of happiness only lasted 3 years, then I don’t know how or why things were changing and all of those thing that give life to a relationship between man and woman were getting colder and passion gave way to responsibility and children…

At the Pared residence

Dr –The cut in the head is not grave, but I don’t know if the fall would have any consequences. CL –Consequences? What kind of consequences Dr. –Don’t get upset we just have make sure everything is ok. CL – I’m sorry but this pregnancy is driving me crazy, Dr. –I know you did not expected it but this child will make your marriage stronger, you love her, come lets go see her

Back at the cemetery
Ana –I have never seen things that way. Lidia –This is the destiny of the married woman we condemn ourselves to be mothers and wives and we forget to be women, on the other hand they (men) can have their home and also go out and find love in the streets, I love my daughters, I adored them but I don’t want them to be mothers unless they find a man that is willing to share all the responsibilities all the sacrifices of having children. Ana – but, Samuel loved his daughters. Lidia –I’m not saying he wasn’t a good father to his daughters, but he wasn’t a good husband to me. Samuel stayed a lot of nights out “working” and when he came back he was in a foul mood and we always ended up fighting. That wasn’t a home Ana…I never had any material need, but money is not everything. You see? Your little hell wasn’t that different from mine. Ana –However there were a lot of times that I wish I had your position Lidia – And there were some when I envied yours. (I’ve got to say, I’m starting to like Lidia more and more, I think she is no dummy, and can be very profound, but at the same time she could go to the other side and be conniving and mean)

At the Pared residence
Dr. –Fortunately this lady is perfectly fine CL – you don’t know how relieved I am Mrs.CL – My love you see there is nothing to worry about. Dr. – Still I want to see you later, you need to rest for about a week The Dr. and Mrs. CL argue about how long she should stay in bed, she doesn’t understand what the problem is. CL promises that he’ll take care of her. CL to Mrs. CL – I’m going to be by your side as much as possible, remember is not only about you any more. Do you need anything? Something to eat? Mrs. CL – I don want anything! CL –Not even a kiss? (You know? This guy is really good he really sounds worried and if I were the wife I would not suspect anything. Alas, we know better and I just can believe he is such a slime ball!!)

Back from the cemetery, in the car
Lidia –Thank you for bringing me home and for the talk. Ana – We should have done this long time ago. Lidia – Well we should not get sentimental, this is only a truce, we both needed it but it doesn’t mean that something have changed and it doesn’t mean that we are going to be bosom fiends Ana – Of course not Lidia – btw, I want to congratulate you for your paintings. Ana –Thank you and bye. Lidia gets off the car and walks to the house were Alirio has been waiting all this time. Alirio –What does this mean my lady? It is true what my eyes have seen? you and Ana together without kicking each other?, yes what you saw is true y que! (so what!. I like this one, I use it on my husband.. Yes I bought new shoes y que!!) Alirio –Are we in the final judgment? Ana – If we were in the final judgment you would be the first in the line.

At the Office
Paula –Yvone is the licenciado in? Yvone – No he left early, can I help you wih something? Paula – No I’ll look for him tomorrow morning.

At the house Lidia and Alirio argue about what Lidia told Yadira, Lidia says she had to tell her the true. He gets upset and cuts to the chase. Alirio – I’m here for a response a simple response, are we going to get marry next week? or not. Lidia makes an impactada face.

This is only half the show!!! I’m sorry I’m almost done with the rest but I still have to edit it. I’ll post the second part later. And the second part we learn about Tepache. Sorry I’m just not as fast as the other recappers. This is my first time please be gentle with me ;)

Maricruz

Second part

Paula and Juan are at the parking lot. Paula – Juan, are we leaving? Juan – (thought bubbles) I was not going to stay with the doubt; I was going to ask her straight to her face Licenciada, do you want to go out with the boss or with me? Just at that time Pastor comes down and asks if they should be doing plans. Juan had forgotten he had invited Pastor to come home with him. Juan tries to weasel out of it, but to no avail, Pastor would not be convinced. They agree that Juan should drop Paula and come back to pick him up.

Mean time at the Cachon House Alirio and Lidia are still arguing about the marriage Alirio –Don’t you want to get your husband’s money? Lidia – Ok but I have conditions I want Samuel’s money in my account tomorrow morning. La lana (the money) is mine and I manage it como me da la gana (my own way). Big impactado face from Alirio.

And Juan riega el tepache

BTW Tepache is a drink made out of fermented pineapple (I love it), is very similar to the pulque (which I don’t like) I drink it with sal de chile (chili powder) very refreshing.

Back to our show

Paula asks Juan if he still has problems with pastor, or somebody else because he looks mad. He denies it but then he decides to tomar el toro por los cuernos. Juan – You know what? I’m really mad I’m sorry to be this frank but I have to ask you something, do you have anything to do with Don Cesar? Paula –What kind of question is that??!! Juan –Licenciada please, don’t get mad, is only rumors…. that you and Licenciado Paredes.. You know… Paula – No I don’t know Juan, what kind of rumors?!! Juan – Is just gossip. Don’t pay attention to it. Paula – What rumors I want to know the true!!! Juan –Well they say that you are la “amiguita” (little friend. Lover) of Licenciado Pared. Paula makes a big impactado face.
Paula –Well don’t the people have anything else to do that gossip about everybody else? What I can’t believe, is that you paid attention to it. Juan – Well you told me that you had resigned over personal problems and also you went with el Licenciado to Tasco. Paula –What are you insinuating Juan? Juan –Put yourself in my place what would you have think in my place? Paula – No, you are forgeting your place. This is all I need, that you would judge me and talk about me. Juan – But Licenciada… Paula – No Juan you told me what you had to tell me, now take me home. Juan says to himself; no, Juan really el pez por su boca muere (the fish dyes by his own mouth) si calladito te vez mas bonito (you look better when you are quiet) now you really regaste el tepache (spilled the tepache, made a mistake) (in other words wishes he kept his mouth close) :)

At the pared residence

CL makes his best performance ever. CL –I wanted to talk to you about what has happened lately, today when Consuelo called me, just imagining that something could happened to you or to the baby I realized that I care too much for you and for the baby (yeah all right!!) I want that this house to become our home I don’t want any more doubt between us. Mrs. CL –For that, you need to be frank Cesar, is there another woman in your life? (Big impactado face by Cesar, I give him a 10) CL – If you need to ask me that kind of question it means that you don’t trust me (no, duh!!) Mrs. CL –Of course I don’t trust you, I don’t know what to think. CL feels that is time to bring things up a little and talks in his best drama queen voice CL –Well if that is what you think maybe we should finish everything. Mrs. CL –Don’t take it that way if I’m asking is because I want everything to get better CL –If you don’t trust me you won’t believe me when I answer (he pauses for effect)…There is not other women in my life, are you happy now? Mrs. CL –No, not really. CL – What else do you want ? Have I ever deceived you? What have I done for you to doubt me now after all this years? Mrs. CL – I don’t know I don’t know (CL knows he is winning, just a little more and the missus will believe him) Why do you offend me? Mrs. CL – If you don’t calm down we can’t we keep on talking, I haven’t heard anything that convinces me. I have a doubt and I want to ask you because I don’t want to have the wrong idea. (CL prepares for the final punch) CL – There is no other woman, with you I have more than what I deserve (knock out!!! And we have a winner!!!)

Back at the Cachon residence Lidia and Alirio keep on arguing about the wedding and the money, they finally agree about the wedding, but Lidia has conditions. Lidia – I have the following conditions: 1st don’t meddle with my daughters life 2nd I’m not going to pay for the expenses of the house by myself 3rd you are not going to control my life 4th I go and come back whenever I want, and 5th do not leave the toothpaste uncapped!! If you don’t comply you are out the house, Alirio accepts. And after a little argument about if they are going to marry in the church or just by a judge, they agree to marry in a week.

Back to Juan
Paula –Thank you Juan. Juan – Licenciada I’m sorry. Paula –Don’t say anything just go Juan –If you want, I can wait. Paula –No, I know you have something to do, Pastor is waiting, just go. Juan thinks. No juanito si para tonto no se estudia (you don’t need to study to be a dunce) How you dare to talk to her like this? She is the lady that helped you, the one that trusted you? Your brain is small and you tongue is long


I n the Cachon residence

Lidia goes to Yadira’s room to tell her the happy news. Lidia –Why are you crying? Yadi – I want to be by myself leave me alone, leave me alone!!. Lidia goes down the stairs. Marely enters and Nidia tells her that she doesn’t know what is happening to Yadi, Marely makes a guilty face and says that she knows… her boyfriend dumped her. Lidia makes an impactado face. Lidia – Oh! so young and suffering for love!

In the parking lot of the office

Juan talks to Fernando, he tells him that Paula got very offended when Juan asked her about the relationship between her and CL. Fernando is afraid that Juan told Paula it was him (Fernando) who told Juan about the relationship. Juan says no, but maybe he should have. Juan – You have a very poisonous tongue Fernandito. Fernando – Did she deny it? Juan – Of course she did. She is a Lady. Fernando invites Juan to drink. Juan says he has a date with Pastor, and doesn’t know what do to stop him (What about a sexual harassment complaint???) Fernando suggests that maybe Juan should find Pastor a boyfriend… Juan thinks maybe is a good idea.

Paula and her mom are talking about Ana and Lidia’s conversation in the cemetery. Paula can not believe that Lidia was able to talk without fighting. Ana – We talked for more that an hour, she was very sincere, she did not have the better side of the deal. I think she understands me better now, and to be frank I understand her better also. They talk about the possibilities. What would have happened if Ana and Samuel had not met, maybe Paula would have been born in a “normal” family Paula disagrees she thinks is good to fight for love, even if it is outside of marriage. Ana changes the conversation and asks if Paula is resigning her job. Impactada face from Paula.


Mean while, Juan is in Pastor’s office, Pastor is finishing some documents, and Juan suggests that maybe is better to leave it for another day. Pastor feels that Juan is trying to weasel his way out of their date (again) and goes for the sentimental blackmail. Pastor – Listen Juan, tell me the true, you don’t want me to go to your house?, you have been trying to cancel a lot of times, if you really don’t want me to go, just tell me and we’ll cancel. I’m not an idiot I understand when I’m not wanted (all of this said with that whimpering voice of his) Juan – No Don Pastor, when Juan Dominguez give his word he fulfills his promises, just let me call home to let them know.

At the cachon Residence

Lidia called Kike to see if he would make Yadira feel better. Kike doesn’t want Yadira in the rebound. He wants to conquer her again but not when she is feeling down because of the other guy. Kike – Ni maiz paloma (no way) I’m not plato de segunda mesa (second best) Lidia tells him that this is the best chance he has. Juan calls, and Nidia answers. She wants to know who is he bringing home and Juan says a “special” friend. Nidia says that is ok, they will hechar mas agua a los frijoles (add more water to the beans). Juan – Thank you see you later. Nidia goes back to try in convince Kike to go and talk to Yadira. Kike – Ok, I’ll go and see her, but just because she is my friend and I want to help her in her hour of need.

In Yadira’s room Marely is trying to make Yadira feel better Yadira says that Fernando has everything she needs, he is the man of her dreams, Marely tells her that maybe she doesn’t really know who Fernando is, maybe she is just dazzled by something that is not even true. Yadira wants to know what Marely is trying to say. Somebody knocks at the door. Is Kike, Marely leaves the room and asks Nidia if she called Kike. Nidia – Yes I called him, we have to help you sister get over her depression. Marely – I don’t think that bringing Kike will help her get over it. Nidia – Un clavo saca otro clavo (a nail pulls another nail? a lover helps forget another lover). Juan and Pastor arrive. Nidia can’t believe her eyes. BIG impactado face. Juan thinks Oh God help me!!

Tomorrow
Es o no es (Is he? Or not) that is the Question

Thanks for your patience


.

Labels:


Comments:
Oh, Maricruz, this is fabulous! You've done a terrific job, thanks!

I think Juan has learned that some questions are better left unasked. That was pretty clueless of him to ask that so directly. But, it'll make for interesting moments tonight, probably.

Jeanne
 

Thanks for all of the super details Maricruz....nice to read all the little dichos!!
 

Thank you, now that I reread the whole thing, I can't believe I missed so many periods, and comas and adverbs and all of that. How do you guys do it? It took me easily 4 hours or more to finish it and I wish I could have more time and edit it a little more. Well I guess practice makes the master. I think it’ll be easier the second time.

Maricruz
 

Well, Maricruz, I do mine in Word and cut and paste them. So, I can do spelling and grammar checks. It helps me. But they're not perfect any time I do them.

I love your little vocabulary definitions and clarifications, too. Wow, thanks so very much! I'm going to re-read your post over the weekend for more details of how you interpreted. You're a native speaker, right?

Jeanne
 

Maricruz...that was wonderful...love all the translations of various expressions and the "native informant" info about tepache.
Now you know something we all should realize...that it takes hours of painstaking work to do these summations.
All I did once was summarize part of an article about Angelica Vale in People en Espanol once and I was sweating bullets!
So I admire the recappers one and all, and really appreciate your special gifts in language and culture.

Judy B.
 

Yes, English is my second language, as you can see for my bad grammar ;) I found melinama when I went nuts over Fernando Colunga and I wanted to read more about Alborada. I loved her refreshing style, and I wished I could do it too.... well here we are, almost two years later and I'm finally fulfilling my wish. Thank you for the opportunity.

Maricruz
 

Maricruz, I read this more in depth, and wow! You did a terrific job! Thanks!!

I loved the titles at the beginning of each section. In my family we used the term “blessed” in English exactly this way, too, when we had heard enough already or were disgusted with whatever it modified as an adjective. Now I wonder if it was my mother’s Spanish major in college that started it or if it is really used in English, too. What you said about it made me think it was Mom doing it because of her major.

Thanks for the information on tepache. I would love the tepache, I think, but not the chili powder on it, I am guessing.

Thanks for all that vocab! Wow. No wonder we non-natives can’t translate everything we see and hear.

“Juan says he has a date with Pastor, and doesn’t know what do to stop him (What about a sexual harassment complaint???) Fernando suggests that maybe Juan should find Pastor a boyfriend… Juan thinks maybe is a good idea.” I thought that was a very good idea, too. Then I wondered how he’d find Pastor a boyfriend. Not so easy to do!

Jeanne
 

I know it's late but I'm just reading these now, congrats for your great recap and thanks for taking one for the team!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder