Saturday, November 24, 2007

Yo Amo a Juan- Fri.11/23/07 - How Many Chickens Can You Count?

Following in the wake of Captain Jennie (aka Schoolmarm)'s stunning double header isn't a job for sissies, but here comes the Friday recap...
As always, the beginning of one night is a repeat of the end of the previous episode. I'll repeat them briefly or check Thursday, hour two for a complete translation by Cap'n Jennie.

The scene opens with Monica speaking in Pastor's office. As of this moment, Juan will be the chauffeur(driver) of the presidency, Fernando will become the driver for the vice president of commerce. Is there some problem with that? "Noooo, certainly not, as you command," says Pastor. Good, I'm glad that's clear.

Repeat of Ivonne's plea to Monica that she doesn't deserve to be fired and Monica's response that she is a lying, tricking etc., had an affair with her ex-husband that everyone in the office knows about and betrayed Monica who went to bat to save her (Ivonne's) job when CL fired her. Her reward was that Ivonne carried on with CL. Monica's only regret was that she defended her. Monica finishes her retribution with ordering Ivonne to call the employment agency for candidates to replace her sorry self.

In the garage, Juan leans against the wall with his now painted on hang-dog expression. [ed.- and am I imagining it or does he wear shorter ties when he is depressed?] Juan, thinking that just when you think things cannot get any worse, they do. He must be psychic because just then Monica rounds the corner with news that he is to be her driver from now on. "What about Fernando?', asks Juan, always looking out for others. "He will be the driver for the VP of Commerce, do you have a problem with that?" Juan thinks, yeah about five hundred of them. But, I doubt that they are too important to you. But he wisely says, "No, no none at all, Sra. Monica. She says "good, then come for me at 11:00 A.M., here is my address. I am sure we will get along very well, Juan. Well, maybe not as well as you get on with Lic. Paula. But, who knows." As she walks away with a little I'm-the-executive-now bounce, Juan thinks, "What my Licenciada said to me when she said she never wanted to see me again in her life, she was serious, buddies."

Alirio and Gutie in Alirio's office are circling each other like a couple of boxers squaring off. Alirio says "This is way too much (el colmo). (the spying on NIdia incident) What did you do? How did it occur to you to do this without consulting me?" Guti, ever ready to sneer, says "you were thinking of doing this yourself!" Alirio, answers "one thing is what I say, and the other is what I do. Above all you have the nerve to burden or cause my death (always the understatement with this calm man) "Doesn't this have any value for you?"
Gutie sneers again, "ya, ya, you're the same as your wife, this is no more than a tantrum."
"You don't know what a tantrum is with that woman. You don't know." Alirio shrieks.
Gutie puffs his cigar, swaggers in his spy costume with camera and advises Alirio that he should be thanking him for this favor. "Now Doña Nidia knows she can't play games with you."
Alirio, melodramatically hisses, "oh, she really left here trembling in fear!" Gutie, retorts, "Scream all you want, I still think the same way. Later you can get a lot of money in a divorce suit. Even if it is true that she does not have a lover, we can find a volunteer."
Alirio is nearly losing it (nothing new), "NO WAY, Gutierrez, don't make a move on this, leave it alone.
Gutie continues, "I am pushing this because I suspect something hidden here. It's necessary to verify this and BAM (Zas) we have her."
Alirio is more shrill as he says, "I strictly forbid you to act on this theory of yours. I forbid you to even get near my wife or my house! Is that clear?"

Pastor and Ivonne are in his office. He hands her a box of tissues. She snivels, "This is not right. Are you saying it's all lost?" He answers, "maybe some of it was true."(Monica's accusations) She sniffles, "with friends like you, who needs enemies." He returns, " You did have an affair with her ex-husband. What were you expecting, Ivonne?" Ivonne whines, " but she didn't know for a scientific certainty." If Ivonne is incapable of irony, certainly Pastor is not, he adds "But, surely you didn't have the audacity to say it right to her, true?" Ivonne says, "No, but she saw it..." and then, "I hate this woman, I hate her!"
Changing the subject slightly, Pastor hands her a folder and says, "Here is your letter of resignation, you need to sign it. It may not be much consolation but the settlement is very good. Meantime, cash the check and avoid annoying Señora Monica. Are you feeling like being sensible?" She snaps back, "I'll do what I want! I am going to Spain and on the same flight as that fool. I am going to do it!" [the phrase parar de pestañas, stop at the eyelashes, does this mean not blink like not budge?, anyone know...]

Back in the garage, Fern and Juan polish their cars. Fern opines, "It's all the same to me if I am the driver for either Señora Monica or Lic. Paula." Juan, getting ruffled says, "Fer, there is much more at play here than driving a simple car."
Fern answers, "Look my buddy, the story of your love with the Licenciada is finished. She doesn't want you near her."
Juan, snaps his towel, " Why this helpfulness? I think there is the possibility that we can at least be friends." Fernando reasons, "You are never going to be just friends with her, Juan, you are in love with her. This is the bad detail."
Now Juan really snaps both his towel and his temper, "They can't play with us like this!" Fern seems faintly amused by this rancor so suggests that Juan "check it out, see if you can't be with Paula and if not, well, you could always resign!"
Juan starts to walk away in anger, "Where are you going?" "To dot the i's They can't make all these decisions without consulting anyone. That's the least , papa, the least (they can do)!"

Cesar Luis is in his apartment packing while talking to Pastor by phone, "I just left the office a few hours ago, are you missing me already?" Pastor confides that he has something important that CL should know. " CL says, "the woman reacted?" "No, it's about Ivonne, She says she is going to Spain on the same flight as you. " "Has she gone crazy?" Pastor returns, "She seems very determined." CL muses that he will be followed all over the world by this crazed woman. I hope your brilliant mind has thought of a solution for this!"

Ivonne tearfully packs her things in a box and carries it to the elevator while the oh so busy staff perpetually in the lobby gazes on. Marely runs into Paula's office where they silently mime the news of Ivonne's departure. Marely asks if CL fired Ivonne. Paula says, "I doubt it. This was Monica's idea, she must have discovered the "friendship" with CL."
Paula, turns, "Such is life, we have to take it as it is." Marely, smiles "I think you are putting up a shield so you don't collapse."
Paula turns to her papers and says, "I want to get these figures done before I leave today..."

Juan in Pastor's office, "I've totally lost her." Pastor, earning his keep as kind counselor today, "Put your energy into your work, try to think of other things." Juan daydreams, "After today my contact with my little dove will be reduced to an occasional passing by each other. Oh, Pastor is right, I have to stop these things.
Pastor claps, "Juan, Juan, did you hear what I was saying?" "Yes, I'm going to do it." Pastor, cajoles, "Try to be positive about the situation. Give us a little smile."
Juan steps out into the lobby and thinks, " This seems like a normal work day, like the boss didn't just leave and I didn't just have my heart destroyed. I'm not going to be destroyed by my pain, oh pain. I've got to get a hold of myself and keep walking. Oh, farewell my cinnamon flower, my rose with thorns". He enters the elevator, "This door closing is end of this tragic history! But no, there is one little piece lacking in this final closure, this end to my bunch of disgraces. Oh Santo Niño de Atocha, why does a clean soul suffer so?"

Break to Pasión preview!

Marely and Paula finish up some figures, but Paula wants to stay to finish the work. She lets Marely leave for the day. But asks "What time does that fool's plane leave tomorrow?" "On the earliest flight."

Ivonne enters CL's apartment. He complains, "Where have you been, I've been calling all over for you." "Oh did you want to tell me goodbye??" No, Gaitan called and said you are going to Spain with me, this cannot be. I've said a million times, this is absurd, it's stupid and you have nothing to do there. She returns with, "I have no work so it could be that I want to see the world touring." "Well, go to Miami, go to Patagonia, Aruba, Alaska, you have a thousand options." She waves a folder in front of him, and says, "It's too late, I have bought my ticket. We are going on the same flight."

Back at the garage, Fern smiles at Juan, "So you went to yell upstairs, did you achieve something?" Juan, "Simply to create a precedent so the people above no that we are not just counting pieces for them to take or put at their whim." Sure, says Fern.

Marely enters, "hello Juan, hello Fernando. Juan, are you going home?" She doesn't have the car and he has no one to drive so she wants to go and keep him company on the train. As they start off, Fernando pulls Juan aside and counsels, "Open your eyes. This girl can be the answer to your problems. Like Paula, she is pretty, a good person, intelligent and single and above all she is interested in you. She took the trouble to come down here looking for you so you could leave together. Take advantage, don't be slow to catch on go to the train with her." Juan does some air hugs (kind of like playing air guitar) while Marely looks at him oddly. He takes her hand and they leave together saying so long to Fern. He has on his first smile of the day.

CL and Ivonne continue. "Why don't we do something. I will go on to get settled and when the tide goes out, you can arrive later." Ivonne is having none of it, "Do you think I will swallow that, no Señor, I don't believe a word. CL sits down with an exaperated sigh. She goes on, "Don't be so alarmed, as much as I would like to, I can't go with you yet. I haven't cashed my settlement check from Ferrell and I am not going to lose it just to go with you. You didn't look closely but this is just a promotion pamphlet on Spain, not a real ticket." He huffs, "Why did you do that?" She continues, " I just wanted to get your reaction. If your reaction had been different, I would have given up everything to go with you. But I can see that I mean less to you than a zero to the left (not even a whole number) She heads toward the door and he stops her with "Why don't you stay the night..."

Marely and Juan walking, he says Aren't you going to the University? No, I don't have any classes today. Do you know that I will be the driver for Monica?--Yes, congratulations on your ascension (upgrade). He goes on, don't talk nonsense. I don't like this woman, she's insincere, she's a hypocrite.." " Oh, you mean she's not Paula." "Well, yes everthing between Paula and me was enchanting. Marely rallies with "You have lost your head with her. You have to get a hold of yourself and get out of this hole." He smirks, "and if the same thing happens with Monica? It's a joke, it's a joke." Marely continues, " take advantage of this situation to get Paula out of your heart. This love has only brought you pain and suffering. Be smart, Juan." She strokes his arm lovingly. He has heard this same story/advice before but he can't just pluck the little dove out of his heart, It's a love etched with an indelible ink. But he can stroke Marely's cheek ever so gently...

Break

Monica calls CL to suggest she come to see him to say goodbye. She asks if he needs a ride to the airport and they could talk. You can tell he registers all this with Ivonne lurking in the background and takes on a slight look of horror. He says everything has already been said between them and he wants to avoid unnecessary dramas. If that's how you want it... Yes, that's what I want. Well then she wishes him good luck and take care.

When Monica hangs up Laura chides her on her motives, what was that all about. Monica, looks pained and says it's about my suffering.

Marely and Juan enter the house and sit on the stairs. Juan says, "Remember when we used to go out a lot to eat. You know we have been so distant from each other." Marely, sweetly says she remembers and then he and Fernando got so busy and climbed so high with their executives." Juan laughs, "yeah so high, but really I remember such lovely times between us."
Smart little Marely says, "So make a plan, and we will see each other." She gracefully rises and climbs the stairs.

Juan still musing is interrupted by Alirio rushing through the front door saying, "When did you leave work, Juan, I came to find you to seek counsel... I had a little misunderstanding with the Missus that ended up throwing sparks from a rudeness that Gutierrez committed." Juan chastises him, "You are hanging with very bad company."
Alirio sails on, "Since I didn't find you I took a risk and bought these roses and..." Juan is staring in disbelief at the and part.. "What do you think, Juan?" Juan stumbles, "wait, wait you have roses and this little...er... roasted chicken??"
Proudly, Alirio announces, " My father, bless his soul was accustomed to calming my mother with this and afterward they would disappear for several days.."
Juan, diplomatically says, " I hope Doña Nidia has the same tastes as your mother." "May God hear you, Juan. Later I'll tell you how it went." Juan says, "good luck, tiger, you're on your own, alone." They wink and signal while Alirio ascends the stairs. Juan's entire face does a WHAT??

Alirio timidly comes into the bedroom where Nidia files her nails with a petulant eye rolling of her own. He begins, "How are you my love, my little dear heart. I am so ashamed to face you, Nidia, I don't know what Gutierrez had in his big head. I swear my the memory of my mother, I had no idea what was happening. My life, my heart, don't continue with this attitude, it is breaking my soul, dear heart Nidia. Here are red roses, and.... a little chicken. She looks at the chicken as though a large dead cockroach had been laid on her bed.

Back to the fun at CL's apt. he is quietly calling Pastor from the bedroom phone. "Nothing has happened. I am leaving at 6:00 AM and there is still no sign from Paula." Pastor answers dryly, "To be frank, I don't think she's going to give one now." They go back and forth. CL is ready to drop everything go to her house, get on his knees, fall at her feet and.. Pastor says, The decision is yours but I don't recommend it. Pastor repeats soothing words about relaxing and what the orientals say about... CL is sputtering. Pastor says one has to keep a cool head and remain themselves. CL says, Go counsel your grandmother!" and throws the phone on the bed [has he been talking to Aaron over at Destilando perchance?] Ivonne comes in to announce dinner is ready, and CL heads toward the dining room saying he is hungry. She eyes the phone suspiciously while he shouts from the other room, "Come serve me!"

Paula and Ana are at their dinner table. Paula tells Ana that CL is leaving for Spain tomorrow. He said goodbye to all the employees today. Ana says so soon and then adds This is for the best. Now you can regain your tranquility. CL will only be a bad experience in your life by God's grace. Paula gets up and says she will put on her pj's and wash the dishes. Ana says, she looks tired, just go on to bed. They kiss goodnight.

CL and Yvonne at the dinner table neither one of them getting much of what they want.

Nidia's table is teeming with all six inhabitants looking at the little roast chicken now on the dinner table. Alirio tries to encourage some sweetness in Nidia, asks her how she likes it. Would she like another little wing? She ignores him and asks Juan to pass her a piece of breast meat. Aliro grabs it and offers it to her before Juan can move. She then asks Juan again if he will pass him a leg as she moves the breast piece back on to Alirio's plate without looking at him. Then she says, Thanks, What a pity this is such a measley little chicken. Who knows where they take them from. Frankly, these chickens ought to be dead, but from hunger. Everyone laughs except you know who.

Later Kiki is preparing his bed on the sofa when Yadira appears and wheedles him about coming upstairs. She is so feisty that he finally says, not nice, not nice in English. Can't you talk to me anyway but in a threatening way? She then simpers that he'll be cold down here doesn't he want to go uppy the stairs, (yeah baby talk, her only other tone). Then orders him come on come on.

Back to Nidia with Alirio pleading that she change her attitude with him. She says "don't touch me, not even a hair or you will be sleeping in the garden. Clear?" He meekly crawls under the covers.

Sleeping scenes: Juan in his shortest shorts yet (egad what pretty legs) gets up to push his hand weights. Paula tosses and tries to thumb through a book. CL ponders while Yvonne beside him sleeps the only good sleep anyone is getting.

Next morning, CL prepares to leave for the airport and Yvonne offers again to take him. When he refuses she leaves and what seems like seconds later the bell rings. CL thinks it is Yvonne back but WOW it is Paula. Now she has come to take him to the airport.

Alirio slinks into Juan's room to beg for his help again. This woman is psychologically torturing him, oh the agony, and he doesn't know what to do anymore. Juan thinks, Nidia has this poor man by the nape of the neck. Why do they all come to me when I have my own lost causes to worry over.

Paula and CL go down just as Fernando pulls up because he thought he was taking CL to the airport. CL pulls him aside and asks that he not tell anyone that Paula took him to the airport. CL and Paula pull off in her car as Yvonne steps out from the curb across the street with an unhappy look.

Nidia and Juan sit talking. NIdia says, "But, what am I going to do, Papi rico. Everyday I can bear him less and less. Juan says, "you should respect your husband, he is a good sort. It's not his fault that his liver has fallen {idiom help}
Nidia, says yeah, poor guy. Wait I have a good idea! Let's get him a girlfriend to distract him, someone from the office.
Juan grimaces, "Doña Nidia, be serious, I can't stand it." Nidia says, "It's very complicated. You have to understand, since a little while ago, I thought I could fight the situation (but get on, I think) with Alirio but then Angarito appeared and that shook my foundation. He's just the love of my life I keep feeling sooo.... wiggles and gives little squeals. What do I do??
Juan, astounded says, "Get rid of your bad thoughts. Have you been faithful or not?" She pauses, "well in my head yes I swear, but in my heart. blabla. Juan reasons, "then why not tell Sr. Perafan and let him down from the clouds in stead of hanging on the roof like a gargoyle. She promises to try.

Outside the door Alirio is hovering wanting to know how it went. Juan says, " I convinced her that you are a man who deserves much consideration. Alirio can't resist adding, " and affection and respect, ahh Juan, what did she say?"
He advises, " She promised to think about it. You need to not pressure her and have a lot of patience. Alirio, "then do you think she will come around this year or next year, when?? He promises to promote Alirio's image as a prince but thought bubbles "Poor Fool."

Juan announces that as he has new boss he doesn't have to go to work until 11:00 AM. Everyone but Nidia descends to the table where Marely and Yadira are talking over breakfast. Poor silly Kike asks Yadira to serve him his breakfast which unleashes another volley of shrieking that she is not his domestic servant, etc. Juan to preserve the peace jumps up and offers to make everyone his special delicious omelet.

At the airport. Paula and CL approach a security point and Paula begins her goodbyes. Do you have nothing more to say to me asks CL. Well yes, good luck. That's all? Why did you want to bring me to the airport? She says, well since you will never return, I wanted to be sure to tell you that you WERE an important person in my life. He is impactada, I WAS. She backs off and says softly, well perhaps you still are. What do you want me to say? Do you want me to beg you not to go?
He says, yes! So she hesitates then says, "Don't go".
He asks if she is serious or just trying to wound him more. She answers that she is trying to close and heal all the wounds for both of them. He again presses, you don't want me to go? She says it is entirely your decision, do you stay or do you go?
FIN.

Labels:


Comments:
CherylNM—Wonderful recap, and hoooo-eeee, great details! Thanks!

“ordering Ivonne to call the employment agency for candidates to replace her sorry self” LOL! That was such a diabolical touch, wasn’t it?

“[ed.- and am I imagining it or does he wear shorter ties when he is depressed?]” AH! That must be it! They get shorter when he’s down and out.

“As she walks away with a little I'm-the-executive-now bounce” ROTFL! That’s a perfect description of how she moved!

Geez, am I glad you translated Ivonne’s chat with Pastor. I didn’t get one fourth of it. No wonder it took longer than you expected---I would have been looking up every word, too. Is it just me, or are these characters more into slang when they are upset? Juan always launches into dichos when he’s really upset, and so does Kike.

I had to smile at Juan thinking the big wigs should check with them before they change assignments. That doesn’t happen much in real life, but it depends on the big wigs.

“Pastor, earning his keep as kind counselor today” LOL! Pastor has the wrong job title in this one. He should be staff counselor, not HR director.

What the heck is wrong with Ivonne staying with CL when she KNOWS he doesn’t give a rip about her? She must not have any pride at all where he is concerned.

“Proudly, Alirio announces, " My father, bless his soul was accustomed to calming my mother with this and afterward they would disappear for several days.."” I roared at Alirio when he explained about the chicken. I couldn’t think of a single instance when my father brought my mother a chicken…..

“Juan in his shortest shorts yet (egad what pretty legs)” ROTFL!!!

“CL prepares to leave for the airport and Yvonne offers again to take him. When he refuses she leaves and what seems like seconds later the bell rings. CL thinks it is Yvonne back but WOW it is Paula.” All I can figure is they passed each other on the two elevators in the apartment bldg.

Oh, I HOPE CL goes to Spain and leaves them all to sort things out without him for a while. I guess that would be asking too much, though.

Thanks again, Cheryl!

Schoolmarm Jeanne
 

thanks cheryl, great work. this is the first novela I remember watching where I was hoping, hoping that the leading man and the leading lady would NOT get together. I find that charming!
 

Thanks Cheryl...what a gift that you came along in time to help out in so many ways!
I too was baffled by that "parar de pestanas" and just hope that Maricruz or someone can help us. On the other, the liver expression I think that just means He really bugs you, he irritates you, he gets on your nerves. All these "caer" expressions and Me cae bien etc. seem so weird to us English speakers but that's the fun and challenge of learning a new language. And you seem very advanced, lucky girl! I envy your opportunities at your school in New Mexico. Enjoy!

Judy B.
 

Thanks back to you, Jenny, Melinama and JudyB. I appreciate the positive support and the helpful comments. I am determined to get faster at translating this wonderful telenovela with its amazing range of slang and endearing characters (well most of them are endearing). Even the annoying ones are fun to translate. I will be the relief pitcher for Juan on Monday nights through December 31, so hey I get to do this again tonight!
I walked in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain yesterday with an ESL teacher and a Mexican native ESL teacher and our dogs. The woman from Chihuahua helped me analyze some of the dichos, but even she did not know the parar de pestañas. And I am quite sure that Nidia/Sylvia makes up words, but her physical comedy give you great clues to what she is saying.
 

Well I thought out Parar de Pestañas and Ceci agrees it does mean to stop blinking either in astonished fixation or to stare someone down. Also pestañear is a verb = to blink or wink. From pestañas = eyelashes.
 

I think you've hit on something important with Juan's ties. Cap'n Cash mentioned a trend and I think you've narrowed it down. The length of Juan's ties seem to be in direct proportion to his self-esteem! Cool. Very observant of you two.

Aha! Moni asks Juan to pick her up at 11:00; is that any hour for an executive to show up at work? Remember way back when I said these folks have ridiculously long mornings? I feel vindicated...of what I'm not exactly sure.

Gack, CL is even more odious than usual.

Regarding the liver comment, back when we were watching Duelo de Pasiones there was a phrase that intrigued us: Me caes como higado encebollado = You make me want to puke. (literal - you're doing that liver and onions thing to me.) In fact, this phrase proudly resides on the sidebar! I think Marycelis and/or some others helped us out with the translation. Could this be something like what you heard? Unfortunately my Tivo didn't tape Friday's episode so I can't check it out.

Cheryl, I'm really glad that you will be translating Monday nights until you go away. We're very fortunate! Thank you for the fascinating and fun recap.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder