Monday, January 28, 2008

1/28/08 Pasión - Bumped For Bush as Uni Hails to the Chief

Love him or hate him, W's all you get tonight. Considering the august occasion, I've found the original lyrics and a more popular version for "Hail to the Chief" (off Wikipedia). Since I've sometimes wondered what, if any, lyrics there were some of you fellow "inquiring minds" out there might also want to know. Anyway, I figure that tonight's Uni presentation with W is bound to bring passion of one sort or another out in all who watch it. (=/ 8 > ))

I've also included a link to a Library of Congress website dealing with the history of patriotic melodies. Or, there is this backgrounder at "Ben's Guide for kids" (which was a )whole lot easier to skim through!

Don't know why, as I was never part of the Haight-Ashbury poseur crowd in highschool as the
H-A scene was a tiny bit --just-- before my time, but tonight's big event brings to mind "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (dating myself, I know) off "Willy and the Poorboys". It may nail the mood tonight for some but may not for others. I've included it too if only because the words and melody just seemed to haunt me tonight. Enjoy (or not).

==================================================
HAIL TO THE CHIEF
Lyrics by Albert Gamse (are set to the tune, but are rarely sung):

Hail to the Chief we have chosen for the nation,
Hail to the Chief! We salute him, one and all.
Hail to the Chief, as we pledge cooperation
In proud fulfillment of a great, noble call.
Yours is the aim to make this grand country grander,
This you will do, that's our strong, firm belief.
Hail to the one we selected as commander,
Hail to the President! Hail to the Chief!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
The original lyrics by Sir Walter Scott:

Hail to the chief, who in triumph advances,
Honored and bless'd be the evergreen pine!
Long may the tree in his banner that glances,
Flourish, the shelter and grace of our line.
Heav'n send it happy dew,
Earth lend it sap anew,
Gaily to bourgeon and broadly to grow;
While ev'ry highland glen,
Sends our shout back again,
"Roderigh Vich Alpine dhu, ho! i-e-roe!"
Ours is no sapling, chance-sown by the fountain,
Blooming at Beltane, in winter to fade;
When the whirlwind has stripp'd ev'ry leaf on the mountain,
The more shall Clan Alpine exult in her shade.
Moor'd in the lifted rock,
Proof to the tempest shock,
Firmer he roots him, the ruder it blow;
Menteith and Breadalbane, then,
Echo his praise again,
"Roderigh Vich alpine dhu, ho! i-e-roe!"
Row, vassals, row for the pride of the Highlands!
Stretch to your oars for the evergreen pine!
Oh, that the rosebud that graces yon islands,
Were wreath'd in a garland around him to twine!
O, that some seedling gem,
Worthy such noble stem,
Honor'd and bless'd in their shadow might grow!
Loud should Clan Alpine then,
Ring from her deepmost glen,
"Roderigh Vich Alpine dhu, ho! i-e-roe!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FORTUNATE SON (CCR)
Some folks are born made to wave the flag,
Ooh, they're red, white and blue.
And when the band plays "hail to the chief",
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, lord,
It ain't me, it ain't me, i ain't no senator's son, son.
It ain't me, it ain't me; i ain't no fortunate one, no,
Yeah!Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
Lord, don't they help themselves, oh.
But when the taxman comes to the door,
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes,
It ain't me, it ain't me, i ain't no millionaire's son, no.
It ain't me, it ain't me; i ain't no fortunate one, no.
Some folks inherit star spangled eyes,
Ooh, they send you down to war, lord,
And when you ask them, "how much should we give?"
Ooh, they only answer more! more! more! yoh,
It ain't me, it ain't me, i ain't no military son, son.
It ain't me, it ain't me; i ain't no fortunate one, one.
It ain't me, it ain't me, i ain't no fortunate one, no no no,
It ain't me, it ain't me, i ain't no fortunate son, no no no......


Labels: ,


Comments:
Jardinera: I appreciate your efforts, but I never talk politics.

Anyway, what has happened to this website? Like, where is the sidebar?

From lower Ala
 

Thanks for your dedication to our edification, Jardinera! (Hey, I appear to be channeling Jessie Jackson....)
 

Jardinera, who knew there were more lines than the first one with only four words in it? Thanks.....

;-)

Jeanne
 

Hey, pasofino. No problemo. Just getting with the mood of the big bump, puttin' in a bit of historical, topic-appropriate filler and trying to go with the flow and have a bit of harmless, Pasión pun-fun cuz I got pre-empted is all. Side bars are still there, but the site is having problems registering posts tonight it seems.
 

Howdy =)

On a telenovela note, someone mentioned wanting to watch "La Traicion" (the betrayal) which they thought started in a few weeks. I actually starts TONIGHT (Tues the 29th) at the old "Madre Luna" time slot (bet 8:01 and 8:04 EST). For those of you who prefer historical dramas (like "Pasion") or haven't been able to get into "Guapos," this might be a nice alternative. I doubt the group will do recaps as Telemundo does their close-captions in English, so you can just read them as you go along. Also, if you miss an episode and forget to tape it, you can always re-watch it (or at least parts of it) on the Telemundo website (albeit, without English subtitles). Since Pasion tends to show both a recap and an encore of the last few minutes of each episode, chances are you won't miss anything if you want to watch "Traicion" and "Pasion. I personally liked to watch "Madre Luna" before Pasion and rarely missed more than part of the credits. If you're concerned, you can set the VCR to tape the first few minutes of one or the last few of the other ;)

I couldn't get much info on it on their website (they don't start them until they start the actual novela) but so far it looks like it will be either set in France or have a French feel (in the style of Renoir and Monet) in the 1800s. The story centers around twin brothers (one good, one evil of course) who fall in love with the same woman. The good one suffers from some weird condition called catalepsia that makes him appear dead. In fact, his father was buried alive...see the plot unfolding...and now Hugo apparently dies, or is believed to be dead, and comes back to get revenge on his evil twin.

It's from the same production team that did Zorro and the stars are Danna Garcia and Mario Cimarro (as the twins), who previously starred in "Amor the Gavilanes." I don't know if "Gavilanes" was any good, but they are both quite attractive, as are the sets and costumes. It sounds as though it was also filmed in Columbia (like "Zorro").

With all these historical novelas around (Alborada, Zorro, La Esclava Isaura, Pasion, La Traicion), I guess the programming gods finally got the memo that we like those best ;)
 

Jardinera: Thanks for the additional info. I still can't see the sidebars. Anybody else having this problem?
 

Pasofino, did you scroll WAY down to the bottom?

Jardinera Dreaded Lucy Cash, thanks! That was fun.
 

That CCR song is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Good thing I like it. :)
 

Since Pasion is my way of destressing after a looong day, I really missed seeing Ric last night. Well, today has been especially stressful , so I am very happy that I'll get to escape for an hour of Pasion tonight. I've found that sharing a glass of red wine with the cast is also helpful in promoting relaxation when the ''world is too much with '' me.
 

Er, well, I got my Ricfix by rewatching Friday's episodio instead. Much more interesting by far! =8 3/
 

Pasofino, I don't talk politics either, but I adore Jardinera for giving us something for Monday night. I couldn't bear to watch what they were broadcasting. But I need my CarayCaray fix every day. I am so with mad bess with my glass of whiskey awaiting tonight's offering (in half an hour). I have been tempted to jump over to the other channel, having listened to the ads for "La Traicion" on my local Spanish radio station all day (93.1FM in Paterson). Of course, they are beholden to their sponsors, so they never advertise the Univision programs. Too bad! To all the re-cappers and commenters for helping me to learn Spanish - I love you guys. --Agnes in NJ
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder