Friday, March 14, 2008

Guapos Thursday, March 13, 2008: In which Mili behaves badly and Rorgan discovers the true meaning of “French kiss.”

March 13, 2008

From yesterday: Alex is dressed and ready for the business dinner, but Andrea is missing. Who should come in, all dressed up fancy, but our Mili! Alex is impactado, and happy. Mili looks pleased too.

Alex asks does your novio know you’re coming out with me? Mili says it wasn’t my idea, it was theirs – pointing at Regina and her two gal pals, all smirking. Don’t forget all I’ve taught you, says Regina, and she hustles the gal pals out.

You’re just trying to torment me, says Alex smiling. Your gramma asked me to go with you, says Mili, so that we could have one more day of our dream, our dream that’s about to end - a night with no Andrea, no baby. After that you go back to Andrea. And, Alex says, you to Hugo to forget me. Yes, says Mili. He loves me and maybe I will come to love him. Alex agrees to the dream night. He gives her his arm. Wow – in her heels, she’s as tall as he is!

Meantime, Braulio is still driving a furious Andrea around the night, pretending to be lost. She wants him to stop at a public phone but he says the neighborhood is too dangerous.

In what looks like a hotel room, Damien is still trying to talk to Francois who is in the grips of a Big Mac attack. Damien asks if he recognizes him, and if he realizes that with the police watching, lurking around Casa Belmonte is not a plan. Francois has the conversational skills of a parrot – he only keeps repeating Death to Constancio between bites and looking wild-eyed. I can help you, confide in me, says Damien. Death to Constancio says Francois. Hold that idea, says Damien, trying to move the conversation along. You’ll be safe here and I’ll help you – if you can understand me. Francois almost looks insulted, and nods. Good, Damien says, I’ll help you get your revenge. Death to Constancio says Francois. Damien looks doubtful.

Regina and the gal pals: The gals are sad it’s only one night. Ah, but what a night, says Regina. Mili will be the loveliest and will be on the arm of the man she loves. The pals sigh. And I hope she remembers my lessons in how to be a lady, says Regina. Oy, say the gals.

Mili and Alex arrive at a grand mansion and are received by one of the gloved brotherhood. Alex says he is Alex Belmonte and wife. Aside, he tells Mili – it’s part of the dream. Mili looks around and says people are starving everywhere and look at this house. Alex tells her to shoosh and she wants to leave. He says stay, and keep your mouth shut because this dinner means big bucks for the Belmontes. At the table do what I do. Don’t worry says Mili, the abue told me what to do – start with the cutlery on the outside and work your way in. Or the other way? Alex says the first way, but they both look unsure.

In the foyer, Vale is telling Rorgan to pick up her wedding gown and don’t mess up. He is flustered, finally starts crying, falls to his knees and begs please don’t get married. Vale manages to disengage him and she takes off up the stairs. He is a puddle of tears.

Mili and Alex meet the gracious owners of the fancy home. Mili hasn’t even got the manners to smile. The lady of the house asks her what she does with her time, and Mili makes a stubborn face. Finally she says that Alex told her she mustn’t speak. The lady says surely he’s not such a machista! He IS says Mili! At this point Mili begins to act pretty darned badly. How ‘bout I call you Liz she asks, giving the hostess a good buddy-punch in the shoulder. From there she goes downhill, hanging on Alex’s neck and being snotty. She says before we got married, I was a servant. The couple laugh – what an encantadora! Such a wonderful sense of humor! (Shades of Liza Doolittle’s first exposure to high society) Well, at least our hosts have got some manners, which is definitely more than we can say for Mili at this juncture. They head for the dining room. What a huge apartment you have exclaims Mili.

Rorgan is lying on a blanket on the lawn, looking at the moon. He falls asleep and dreams – it’s the wedding of Vale and Sergio. Bobby is sobbing, Vale at the altar is looking doubtful. The padre asks if anyone objects. Rorgan at the back of the church aisle says I do! I love her! Vale looks ecstatic, hands her bouquet to Sergio and she and Rorgan run to each other, slo-mo like a shampoo commercial, their leaps making boinging sounds. He dips her, they kiss and the family applauds. Sergio and Bobby sob in each other’s arms. A cute little dream scene.

We are at dinner with Alex, Mili and the rich couple. It’s a huge table with only the four of them. (I thought yesterday someone had said couples only, but there are no other couples there.) Mili is still behaving very badly, saying the fish is okay (she leans over to sniff it), but she’d rather have tacos. The husband remarks that she’s wonderful. Alex looks surprised, and I am too. Alex begins to ask about whether the rich fellow wants to build housing on his land. Mili, slouched over table, butts into the conversation, talks with her mouth full. Alex cringes.

The gal pals come across the sleeping Rorgan. Gloria wants a bit of his hair, and Lina goes over. He wakes and sees them. Why the scissors? I was in beauty school, says Lina. Oh, I need a haircut, can you give me one? Lina scores the lock of hair.

Now Mili seems like she might be drunk, or she’s faking it. She is sucking her fingers, saying how great dessert was. Alex is mortified. He says to the rich guy that he is sorry they couldn’t do business. Mili interrupts and asks what the guy does with all that land. Nothing, he says, I inherited it. You don’t work it? No. Well let Alex develop it! The wife chimes in – see, exactly what I say – why keep land that you hardly know where it is? Do you have children asks Mili. One, he’s working on his postgrad. Miili launches into a lot of slang and I didn’t understand most of it, but I think she said why not take the money and have a good time with Liz. Liz smiles. Alex is giving her the stink eye. What? says Mili. She looks abashed. Did I put my foot in it?

Carla walks into the kitchen with some shopping bags from nice stores. Where were you? asks Socorro. Don’t start, says Carla. Where did you get the money? None of your beeswax says Carla and flounces out. Now what wonders Socorro.

Carla is in the dorm trying on a fashionable studded leather jacket while Gloria looks on. Lina arrives with Rorgan’s lock of hair. Both girls wonder where Carla got the money for the jacket. I earned it, struts Carla.

Andrea and Braulio arrive home. She tells him off and he is contrite and says he’s not good with cars. Sounds like they ran out of gas and had to walk. Andrea heads off to see if Alex is back yet. Braulio smiles broadly to himself.

A stoney-faced Alex and Mili are getting into the car. She looks distressed. and asks if he is mad. He says no, but did she realize that millions hinged on that dinner? Mili says I was trying to help. Alex says he never should have taken her. She said you know if you married me, I’d be putting my foot in it all the time at dinners like that. I couldn’t make you proud. He is silent. Mili says you’re not saying anything because you know it’s true. His cell rings.

It’s Andrea. Alex says the business deal didn’t fly – don’t wait up. Mili says if she had a cell, Hugo would be calling her, but she says this tentatively as if she’s trying to be unconcerned, but can’t manage it. Alex gives her a cool, steady look.

The next day Regina asks how it went and Mili says her social skills weren’t up to par. What happened asks Regina. Well, I did what I had to do to make Alex fall out of love with me. You mean you behaved badly on purpose? I was just myself, says Mili. Okay, more lessons says Regina. [I sure hope that was an act. If I were Alex my burning love would be completely cold ashes by now – Mili really was appalling.] Mili asks off for Kermes and Regina says sure – have a good time. I’ve forgotten what Kermes is…

Damien is talking to Connie in his home office, trying to work an angle. He says he knows a good detective who could find Francois, but of course the detective costs a fortune. You don’t say! smiles Connie. Forget it, not one cent. Boy Damien, he says, you sure like to turn every situation to your advantage. You should talk, says Damien, after the way you weaseled my shares away. Hey, I was saving your life, says Connie. Let me return the favor, says Damien. It’s fun to see these two con artists go at it.

The phone rings – it’s the rich guy from last night. You don’t say! says a beaming Connie to him. Looks like they are willing to sell the land. Connie says he’ll be right over to firm things up. He hangs up. That idiot Alex actually brought it off! he says. He and Damien are jubilant.

A hang-dog Alex comes into the study and says he has to apologize. For what says Connie. You did it! The guy said you have your wife to thank. Wow, says Damien, what did Andrea do to make it happen? Alex looks stunned.

It’s the day of the festival – it’s like a school fair, there are booths, little flags and balloons adorn the outdoor area, and young people are milling in the background. The padre and Sor Cachete discuss a marriage game going on. They wonder when Mili and Gloria are going to show up, and sure enough here they come with Lina.

Bobby and Alex are sitting in the foyer, bored. The don’t feel like going to the Kermes, too boring. Maybe a movie? Here comes Hugo. He’s off to a Kermes! Alex suddenly feels he has to go too and Bobby follows.

Socorro and Rorgan in the kitchen. Give me some juice, he says, I need to drink to forget. Vale comes in and wants to know why he hasn’t left for the designer yet. He slugs down his juice and leaves.

Alex and Bobby arrive at the Kermes. Right away Gloria drags Bobby off to get a haircut - apparently Lina is giving them. Alex smiles at Mili over a foosball (sp?) table and tells her about her success with the business deal and thanks her. See, he says, you could be my wife after all. He challenges her to a game of foosball. She says if he loses, he gets a haircut and not just a little trim, either. He says if she loses she has to marry him. No point in betting on this one, we know how it’s going to come out.

Sergio is in a convertible in traffic, necking with the French fashion lady. Guess who should drive up next to them at the signal but Rorgan. His eyes pop out.

Mili and Alex are getting into their game. The girls cheer, do their handshake routine and Bobby cheers too. Alex wins – no surprise there.

Sergio and the French lady are now in a cafe drinking wine and cooing in French. He says that after he marries Vale, they’re going to honeymoon in Paris and he sure would like to see her there, as she enchants him. Her eyes say oui oui. At a table in the background, Rorgan lowers his newspaper and looks over the top of his shades.

Mili is a sore loser. You gotta pay your debt says Alex. What debt says Bobby? She has to marry me he answers. No problem, says Mili, we’re at a kermes and we can get married right here. She drags him off. Sor Cachete is running the marriage game. All these years, says the Sor, you’ve never wanted to play marriage before. Well, here’s my novio, says Mili. The Sor is distressed and says 5 tickets each. Alex pulls out a bunch of tickets and says here, have them all. The Sor protests that they are not children, but the padre says it’s okay, it’s not real. Hugo has appeared and watches, distressed. The Sor pronounces them man and wife and they exchange rings too small to fit. Mili looks impatient. Alex says they aren’t married until they kiss. Mili looks unwilling, but soon is into the kiss. Hugo is distraught, heartbroken, and runs away.

The three girls arrive back at the kitchen. Mili is floating and heads off to bed. Socorro asks what’s up and they explain she’s married the patron. But it’s just a kermes marriage says Socorro. I think they said they’re going to the fortune teller tomorrow.

Andrea sees Alex and asks where’s he’s been all day. Not one word, one phone call! Alex says he doesn’t have to account for his movements. Andrea says he heard about his dinner and that it was a success. Alex says he’s happy because he married Mili. What! says Andrea. Alex says It was a kermes marriage, don’t worry, you’ll still get your wedding. I better, says Andrea, for our baby. It was real for me says Alex because nobody was pressuring me, no one was threatening me. It’s the marriage that I will carry in my heart and my memories, it’s the real one. He holds up his hand to show the small ring, which is stuck in the middle of his finger.

Vale is in her bathrobe in her room, reading a magazine. Rorgan knocks. Seems he failed his designer mission, but he says something terrible happened. Vale tells him oh sure, but he says really. Well, what? He says your novio is cheating on you. Vale says you and your stupid stories, get lost! and she slams the door. She sits down to read at first nonchalant, but then she looks up, worried.

Mili is lying in bed, remembering Alex’s kiss. And aw – he’s lying in bed remembering the same thing.

It’s the next day. Sergio and Vale are on the couch and he’s saying how glorious it will be when they get married. Rorgan comes in, overhears and thinks he’s talking about Gloria. Her too he asks? After some back and forth, he says that he saw Sergio kissing the French lady. Sergio is smooth – he doesn’t bobble. Vale throws Rorgan out.

The girls are in the kitchen with Socorro, telling her about the fortune teller and how expensive he is. But they have some herbs that he sold them – now how to get them down the throats of Bobby and Rorgan? They spy the lemonade Socorro is preparing. They dump the herbs in and both stir slowly together like MacBeth’s witches.

Back to Sergio and Vale. Vale is telling Rorgan off, and saying he must never speak in front of her novio. Rorgan goes off reluctantly. Sergio wants to know why she didn’t fire him after he told those lies. Vale says oh it’s a little game they play that she likes. He’s okay, you don’t have anything to worry about. Sergio looks very serious.

Mili and the padre are talking. He is telling her not to talk flip about Braulio. But I always have and you never said anything before. Well, I’m saying it now says the padre. What he really wants to talk about is that kiss. You really love Alex, huh? Yes, and he loves me, but there’s the problem about the baby. The padre says that God gives us all kinds of things, happiness, sadness and all, and we have to accept it. Maybe it’s just not meant to be. Mili is encouraged – maybe this is a test God is giving her and Alex? But then there’s the baby, like you say, says the padre. But how do I get him out of my thoughts, out of my heart? Pray for strength to avoid temptation says the padre. And you should stay away from him and any man who is expecting a baby.

And, says the padre, you should have seen Hugo’s face when you kissed Alex. Hugo is in love with you too. It’s not right to play with his feelings just to distance Alex from you.

Out front of the house, Bobby is getting out of his hot little red convertible. Rorgan says they have to talk. Bobby says we have nothing to talk about and who said you could say “tu” to me? Rorgan tells him about the French guy and says they need to team up. He tells how he told Vale right in front of Sergio and Vale didn’t fire him because she actually loves him. They decide to follow Sergio and spy on him. Just then the gal pals show up with now herbal lemonade and offer them a glass, and then another.

Alex is at the office where Andrea is stroking him and saying they need to talk, to be alone, not to fight all the time, to rediscover their love. Alex rolls his eyes. We don’t have to marry, says Alex, and I won’t be touching you again. The padre comes in. He wants to talk to Alex and they retire to his office.

Hugo and Mili in his room: He is furious with her and says he’s not just a toy. He’d prefer not to see her again. She is confused. Hugo says he loves her and he hopes she can come to love him. He can offer her a whole life, unlike Alex. I actually felt sorry for him.

The padre is talking to Alex and saying he needs to attend to the mother of his child. I am says Alex, and I’ll do everything for the child, pay everything. Why, I’m even going to marry Andrea. “Even going to?” asks the padre – aren’t you in love? I am says Alex, like never before in my life. But not with Andrea, with Mili. Freeze frame.

Avances: Luci tells Connie they’re going to separate. Alex finally gets lustful with Mili. The second set of avances didn’t have captions, so I don’t know what they were about.

Labels:


Comments:
Maggie: I thank you very much for this recap. I missed this chapter in its entirety.

With your graphic descriptions, I could imagine how this episode played out.

From lower Ala
 

Mercy me...the prologue for Friday's show looked a little scary...I'm sure someone will come in and interrumpt that forced romp on Alejandro's bed.
Thanks for a great recap, Maggie...even if we'd studied Espanol for years, there's no way we could pick up all of Milli's fast paced slang...but it's fun to catch a few words here and there.
And ugh, I could use fewer scenes of Francois stuff his face and growling "muerte a Constancio".
 

Gee, I thought it was too bad that Mili didn't win that game, because I was really hoping we would get to see Alex lose the ponytail . . .

Anyway, this was a great recap and a great episode. I am still really enjoying the show. We got a chance to see more great acting from Braulio.

Speaking of studying Spanish, I was mortified to realize that my understanding of the few words of French dialogue was much better than my understanding of Spanish. Since I studied French in junior high and high school, it's retained in a different part of the brain. My newly learned Spanish is going somewhere else in my 50-plus brain. My brain actually feels different when I use either language.
 

Nina: I know what you mean re the brain.

From lower Ala
 

I too was a little concerned about the avance for the serious make-out scene. No doubt someone will walk in without knocking, or the house will catch fire, or Alex will have a seizure, or some sort of interruptus.

FrenchFrank is boring. Either he needs to actually do something, or he needs to stay off the screen. I could not watch him snarf hamburger. It gave me horrid flashbacks of when I was in Babies-R-Us last weekend and this one mom was in there disgustingly snarfing a hamburger and chewing all open-mouthed. In the store. Which almost makes Mili's manners charming in comparison.

I love how Braulio is in cahoots with the girls and Regina. Together I think they can overthrow Constancio's evil reign.
 

Also: is this kermes children-playing-marriage thing common? I've been to many a church fair but not seen that. I did love how Mili sort of jabbed the ring on Alex's finger without even touching his hand, very pointedly.
 

NinaK – interesting thought about language and the brain. I have a theory about languages I call my pasta theory. I think our raw human thoughts are the same for every people, every nation – that would be the pasta dough. And then each language is like the extruder attachment on a pasta maker – same dough, but the shapes come out all different. I think different languages give our thoughts different shapes..

- maggie
 

Actually, the major theories of language learning says that we all learn language in the same way --wherever we are born. The process is wired into our brain.

If we've used the language we learned in the past, we will have "rehearsed" it and know it better than the current language we are learning.

I have another problem. I studied Spanish in college and after that lived in Italy and learned italian, which I am fairly fluent in. However, because it is so close to spanish, I lost all the Spanish I had, and every time I thought I was saying something in spanish, it was coming out in Italian. That's why watching these telenovelas have been so good --I am really getting back the Spanish and knocking in Spanish vocabulary. It will be interesting to see what happens when I go to Italy in May --whether I'll have lost my Italian vocabulary and will be speaking spanish.
 

Yike but Mili was annoying a that dinner. What a dumb way to turn Al off, ruin a big business deal. I hope the good Padre talks some sense into her about playing games with Hugo's feelings.

Now let's see the girl dump the love potion herbs which should be individually brewed up for each guy, together into the lemonade. Now are we going to have to endure both of them falling for the same girl? I know that this novela is based on an older one, and is not completely following the original but I'm hoping all of these girls end up with one of the guys. For once there are enough single guys to go around LOl.

Looks like Braulio has become one of the girls along with Regina which is really a fun little group. A nice contrast to Damian, Connie, the skank the lush and the loco. I think the contrasts between each group is what makes this novela fun and which keeps it moving at the speed of light - such a change from the other nightime shows and for that matter most novelas.

Sergio is really a pig, cheating on Snobby Spice and his wife at the same time. I'm actually surprised he hasn't made a move on the skank - perhaps because like recognizes like.

The language thing is funny. I've spent a lot of time lately in France using very bad French and found myself sometimes responding in Spanish. I'm going to Spain in May and have been trying to get my head into Spanish only to find I'm am rehearsing phrases I'll need but using French. Go figure
 

Anonymous 3:05: yes, I agree that language learning is hardwired, particularly the framework for a grammar. Vocabulary is pretty random when you think about it – any sounds could represent any thoughts and it’s just grunt work learning it. What I was thinking about is NinaK’s statement that her brain feels different when she uses different languages. Each language has its own way of looking at things, its own cultural references, its own little phrases. To me that’s one of the most fun things about learning other languages, learning to see the same thing in different ways.

- maggie
 

found this in the Spanish Wikipedia:

Kermés

Kermés o kermesse (del turco kιrmιz, color rojo) es el nombre que se da en Argentina, México y Chile a fiestas barriales con puestos de juegos de destreza, puestos de comida y bebida, sorteos, y numeros artisticos.
 

Here for the Spanish-challenged:

The word Kermesse (generally in the form Kirmess) is applied in the United States to any entertainment, especially one organized in the interest of charity.

The term has also had an influence on Latin American culture. Specifically in Mexico, Peru and Chile, "Kermeses" are held by churches and schools to raise funds. Many activities take place including "tombolas" where people buy tickets for drawings that always have awards from very minor items to bigger awards.
 

I spent most of this episode flipping away! I couldn't keep watching Mili being sooo annoying at the classy dinner. Bah! Thanks so much for the recap! :)
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder