Saturday, March 08, 2008

Pasión 3-8: in which Mario gets hugs that were worth going to jail for.

Chris will hopefully be back with us next week!
  • We start with the noncommital note Bouffy sent Liz, it contains no news about her precious ED card.

    Sofia comes and asks, why didn't y'all come by the salon? "Oh, we knew you had visitors." "It was the Archbishop! He received Ricardo with such affection!"

    Sofia's hairdo is like unto Marge Simpson's though not as colorful. She (Sofia) asks, can't y'all just try to get along with Camila? No, no, we'll go back to Mariana and see who'll take us in.

    Sofia asks if they'd like her to talk to Ricardo for them. "No, no more humiliations, don't tell him!"

  • Ric and the Archbishop (Arch from now on) pop out of a carriage into an admiring throng, the witnesses ready to testify that Gonzalo was drunk and was first to draw a weapon. It appears Mario will have to stay in jail until Jorge is back from his trip with Foreman.

    Arch finds out Marcellino is in charge while Jorge is away and goes to see him. He lays it on thick with poor snivelling Marcellino: "Oh, nobody understands bureaucracy better than I do! But we're not in the High Court of Madrid here, much less the Vatican."

    The other guy comes in and says the guards are interrogating the throng of witnesses, "there are too many of them."

    Marcellino whines that the dead guy was a Personal Friend of Don Jorge. "Ah," says Arch, "but the woman who was offended was practically my goddaughter." Marcellino, impactado, shows a rodent overbite and squeaks in dismay - to whom should he be pandering, so hard to choose!

    Arch presses on: "I have a Personal Interest. Gonzalo provoked the situation, let's consider that justice has been done. I have far more important matters to settle, matters of the Crown, I have to be on a boat tomorrow, to go to Madrid and then Rome, and what shall I tell His Majesty? That I missed the boat due to a ridiculous little problem in a podunk called San Fernando? I won't leave until you release Mario. Prepare a document saying he's innocent, he was defending a woman. I give you a half hour before he must be freed."

    The other guy comes back and Marcellino does a "Uh? What just happened?" The other guy says Arch was right, Gonzalo was indeed drunk and did indeed draw his sword first. "But what will I tell Don Jorge?" "That the Monsignor made you do it." "You told me you have evidence that Ricardo is not a decent man?" "I can't tell you."

    Arch strolls along complacently telling Ric he knows when to use persuasion and when to threaten. His advice: "If you're going to live in this town, keep a cap on your boys and avoid this sort of problem."

    Vasco kisses Arch's ring, Arch tells Vasco a miller is performing an important service. After that weighty comment he gets into the coach.

    Back at Ric's, his boys are impressed he has such a VIP friend. "Haven't you noticed, he's a gentleman!" "A gentleman is somebody who can read and write and understand maps, and is smarter than you guys."

  • Santiago is feeding the baby. Rita (temporarily not shouting) smiles at him from bed. They dandle the baby together and tentatively name her Ana. She wants Vasco and Ines to be the godparents, Saintly thinks Vasco is unworthy. GRita sneers the names of Camila and Ricardo, Saintly denies he was going to suggest them.

    GRita tells him Cami came to visit, and is undoubtedly jealous of the baby. "After all she's had sex with so very many men and has never managed to get pregnant."

    "Why do you hate her?" "I don't hate her, I just know her better than the rest of you do." Chilled, he says he has to get back to the forge. "If you weren't so stubborn you wouldn't have to go to work." To his back she calls him stubborn, proud and stupid.

    Saintly asks his mother why he wasn't informed that Camila came to call. "I don't want you thinking about her." She tells him Ric and Cami don't want her non-rape by Jorge to be broadcast to the world, and yes, Saintly, that's what Cami wants (not just Ric). "Why revive this misery?"

    Saintly CAN'T FORGET. "I can't accept my father after the way he humiliated me." Stomps out.

  • Foreman exposits to Jorge during their excursion: "The Crown is sucking us dry. Now that the war is over, the corsairs are embarrassed by us. England and France forget we filled their coffers when they fought against Spain." "How many times have peace treaties been signed and then it's war again? Centuries!" "Everything has an end, and our good little thing is going to be over soon, so let's take advantage while we can. By the way, is Ursula your only child?" "No, I have a male heir."

    Nearby, Uriel and Alberto rehash. They agree Ric is probably a spy - after having plundered for England, he now wants to work for Spain to get his pardon. His involvement means the contraband business is more dangerous. "Yes," says Bouffy, "but he has an Achilles Heel - his wife!"

    They head off and, looking fine on horseback, reach the pirate settlement at the beach. Foreman says Juancho is more animal than man but La Paisana, who is older, used to be very pretty. "She was a pirate?" "No, a whore."

    The beach pirates ask who the fancy visitors are. Foreman tells Jorge he allows them a lot of liberties (e.g. to be sassy) because they are a Pirate Brotherhood. "If they go too far we just slash their throats." Jorge smiles happily: "That's an excellent remedy."

    Foreman commands scantily clad handmaidens to fetch food and drink. "These gentlemen will be fencing our goods, Don Jorge here's a VIP."

    Juancho wonders angrily why these guys have been brought in to do what he's always done.

    Chino to Juancho: "I've told you a thousand times I'm tired of being called Chino. I'm Japanese. "I don't know what that is and I don't care."

    Chino and La Paisana are sick of Juancho and tell Foreman to get rid of him or "we'll bury him." "Bury him," agrees Foreman. "You make quick decisions," marvels Jorge.

    Chino's name is really "Josie-Jay" according to the subtitles.

  • Camila is fussing over Jimena's bruises, Jimena is fussing that Mario's in jail, she doesn't want him condemned. "What difference would a few more blows have meant to me?"

  • At the forge, rehashing. Chip says Gonzalo was a no-account and is glad he's gone. Saintly: "don't say that, it's a sin to kill." Vasco reminds Saintly he was no saint the night Cami was taken, then the blood ran. Saintly stomps off and remembers that awful night. Behind him a saying is muttered: "If a lamb lives in a world of wolves, he'll be eaten." "Santiago's no lamb." "No, but he wears that skin."

  • Arch and Ric rehash in the house. "Now that England and France have signed a peace treaty, they want the pirates to disappear, pirates mess with commerce and that's bad for the tax base."

    Ric asks: "Who's going to fight us, government employees or hired guns? Because if the goverment is hiring [people to dismantle the pirate empire], I'd take the job in exchange for my pardon." "You would betray your friends?"

    I was perplexed by Ric's response. My son and I puzzled over it a bit. If somebody got it better than I did, I'll fix this - I think Ric said no he wouldn't, but the only one he feels loyalty to is Foreman, who is also thinking of "retiring;" any of the others would stab him in the back without giving him time for a last prayer.

    He wants, at least, to warn the other pirates they court death if they don't leave the profession. Arch: "You're dreaming. The smart ones have figured this out already and the poor ones won't pay any attention. And as for Foreman, I know him better than you do, he'd put a knife in your back without blinking."

    Arch gives a bundle of documents to Ric. They declare him innocent. "Guard them well." [Surely that means they will soon be stolen. --Ed.]

    Ricardo shakes a bit taking them in his arms. "For once in my life I really love a woman and want a family, I want to have children and watch them grow, I want to live in peace. I'll do anything I have to if you'll pardon me, I haven't lived the life I would have chosen." No problem, Arch forgives him.

    They stroll out with Camila. Arch: "I'm afraid I have to leave for my boat. These [small time bureaucrats] can't get away with it."

    Ric says in order to free Mario, if the authorities don't, he'll storm the prison with fire and blood if he has to. Arch says don't be impulsive and leaves.

  • Predictably, Camila tells Ric he shouldn't try to save Mario, it's too dangerous. "But Mario was my family for all those years. We have affection and loyalty for each other, he saved my life many times." "But you'll be risking your own life!" "OK, we'll wait a night - if they don't free him I'll find a way to get him out of jail and send him to La Iguana like Claudio...

    "But the most important thing," he continues, "is to save you! I didn't tell you before because I didn't want to upset you - but you have to give all the money back to Lis. I'm pretty sure Alberto has the ED card and will use it to help Liz get the inheritance, maybe they'll marry, maybe this is why Tia and Liz moved to the palace."

    She reminds him she'd have to go back to being a servant, and that she's spent a lot of the money already. "I'll make up the shortfall." "How?"

    He asks her not to give herself up, if she goes to debtor's prison before he's had time to make back the money he'll go crazy.

    "Forget me," she whines, "I'm just a burden, I just cause problems." "I've lived with problems all my life. We're part of each other. Get it in your head, I love you," etc. They will get a lawyer and after everything is set up they'll talk to her family - they'll lose the mill - but Vasco is young and strong and will recoup somehow...

  • Mario strolls up to the mill, Vasco is relieved to see he's been sprung from jail. He begs Mario to stop Cami from giving back all the money, and besides, she's spent a lot of it already. He's still hoping Bernabe ate the ED card before he died. "Wait? Like, until your sister is in jail?"

    He goes to Ric's and gets great hugs from Jimena, who is making blessings. "Blessings, yeah, because this is the first time you've hugged me like this." "Fool! I'm just glad you're out of jail, make no other insinuations. but thanks for defending me."

    "You're special to me." "Why?" "Haven't you noticed I'm stuck to your skirts?" He again offers her a house and money but declines to wed, so she asks: "Are you married, do you have a wife somewhere?" "I have one in every port, but if you'll say yes I'll dump them all." "You're never serious."

    Ric is delighted to see Mario a free man - one problem solved. Cami thanks Mario for saving her brother's life. "Aww, any decent man would have done it - I did it even though I'm not a decent man."

  • I lost the little bit which came next. GRita gets the gossip from Vasco's son and staggers out of bed to ask Santi and Ofelia: "So it's CAMILA's fault Gonzalo is dead?" Everybody is totally teed off with her, Ines is shaking with rage. "We thought you were acting like a lunatic because you were pregnant, but you're not pregnant any more and you're still crazy!" GRita asks, "If you knew your hubby Vasco was still shagging Doña Ursula would you be this calm?" "My son never slept with Camila!" shouts Ofelia. "Oh, that's what YOU think!" shouts GRita and Justo slaps her.

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks Melinama, por fin - I was waiting for this review - very thorough and witty, as usual. Great job!
I was moved by the "pardon" scene - Ric was so very grateful, even had a few "lagrimas". And I really like everybody's reaction to the public affection that Arch showed to Ric.
I also was very confused about conversation that Ric had with Arch about if he is ready to betray his friends and I actually thought that he only Foreman. So is he or isn't he?
And Grita - wow, isn't she a b-ch?! Even her father couldn't take it anymore. I hope that the letter will reappear somehow to give her something she deserves.

Eve from Cleveland.

P.S. It was snowing today like crazy - couldn't go anywhere, too bad they don't show the Passion on Saturday!
 

Jimena, Jimena, Jimena! How can you be so reasonable when it comes to Camila and Ricardo's illegitimate relationship, and so stubborn when it comes to Mario? Double standards, girl; double standards!

Not a decent man. Pff. He just doesn't want to admit to it because it'd blow his reputation!

My God, Rita is so far removed from reality that I'm wondering how long it takes the light from Earth to reach her. Is she going to start blaming Cami for poor harvests and dogs dying of the plague next?
 

Yes, mad marley. Yes! Anything that goes wrong on the GLOBE is Cami's fault, according to The Gritty One. Well, like I said, the b-tch is back, and in record time. "CaMILa is undoubtedly jealous of my baby. CaMILa has had sex with so many men." Wah-wah-blah. The familia can't even sit down to a happy meal together without her dragging herself down the steps to destroy even that! What the hell did she care about Muppet Gonzo anyway?? NUTHIN. I swear, this heffer is riding my last nerve. A man should never hit a woman, but I loved it when Justo cracked her one across the jaw. I'll bet they heard me shout, "Now get your happy @ss back to bed, wench!" all the way to Mexico. Hmph.

Our guys were emoting like crazy in this episode, and it was great. The minute Ric took hold of those precious papers, water welled in his eyes. *heartthump* And Santi, such anguish on his face as he remembered the moment he saved Cami and was run through *heartthumpthump* Ah, the joy. The pain. Nicely done, boys.

I do so love Jime and Mario together. The chemistry in their scenes gets better with each one, don't y'all think? No one else gets bigger smiles out of MMM than Jime does. :D

Josie-Jay, eh? Could they have been spelling it out phonetically, maybe? Josije looks Japanese, and would sound the exact same, to the best of my knowledge... who knows. Thanks for the tip on the closed-captioning, Melinama. (I never would have known, seeing as my Univision affiliate doesn't give us closed captions for some stupid reason.) Whatever would we do without you? :)
 

OH. YES. That was one of the other things that got to me. "Camila, so many men and no baby!" Because that's what every little girl longs for, you know; the bastard child of her rapists! (Of course, I'm sure in Grita's mind, Cami beckoned every one of them on with glee.) Justo smacking her one isn't a man hitting a woman; it's daddy turning her over his knee for a well-deserved spanking (and seriously, when the most mild-mannered man around starts laying the smack down? You knooow you've gone too far).

Did anybody catch the expressions on Marcellino and the other guy when Gaspar said his bit about podunk San Fernando? So disgruntled! Nice touch there, I thought. (I always wonder if Marcellino goes home to the 16th Century after Jorge's done with him for the day.)
 

Thanks, Melinama. Rita is going off the deep end. Yeah, that's a good way to keep your man...tell him that he's stubborn, proud, and stupid. Guys loooove to hear that constructive criticism. Evidently, her mother did not tell her what mine did : ''You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.'' I like watching Ric and Gaspar together. I was hoping that Gaspar would help Ric and Camila, but it looks like they are on their own. The plot thickens , and we all know that things will be getting much darker before they get better. As to Chino being Japanese, I remember a Japanese student asking me if Americans can tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese. She had gone to see Memoirs of a Geisha and told me that the lead actress was really Chinese. I am still wondering if Foreman is going to be Ric's ally or his foe. I think that he will side with Ric against Jorge and smarmy Lafont....I hope. How many episdodes left? I don't want this show to end, but if it must...and it must...I am happy that Fuego en la Sangre will be coming on. Since I never got to see Ascanio o o covered with a slight dusting of flour..and maybe a little sugar and cinnamon...it will be nice to see Eduardo aglow with the heat of the ovens. You've got to love a guy who can bake bread. ...I'm just saying.~~~Mad Bess, looking for a Tasty Cake
 

Seeing Justo slap the **it outta Rita was the best part of the whole episode. Second was seeing the gentle Ines go into a grand mal of poissofidness and then give it to her with both barrels. She so wanted a piece of that foul-mouthed low-minded envy-sick heffa. Ines channeled her anger right through the endlessley patient Justo who let her have it but good. Man. I'm gonna replay that like it was a love scene.

Did anyone notice in the replay of Santi's run through with the sword the horrified mug of Grita prominently center screen? I sure hope her poisonous envy and hatred of her sister is revealed to all by (motor mouth)Paco reproducing the buried (miracle) letter.

And yes, Ximena has double standards. Third favorite scene was that oh-so warm embrace of Ximena while she thanked God for Mario's release.

Great episode. Great recap. LOVE this show!

Fan in Michigan grateful for missing the blizzard!
 

Thanks Melinama for filling in for Ferro with a fun packed recap. Ric's tears were touching, Foreman's repartee with the pirates in front of Jorge was impressive and funny, Jimena's repartee with Mario was more delicious foreplay and most of all, Justo's slapping of GRita was oh so satisfying. I bet she saw stars and deserved so much worse. I guess Santi is to saintly to whomp on her 'til she shuts up. What a fun episode. But the anvils are building...

Susanlynn, nothin says lovin' like somethin' from the oven. EY will heat up the screen again I promise! I hate to see Pasion end too but, if we have to go, into the arms of another, let it be Yañez, no??

For the vocab-wonks: ahijada is goddaughter.
 

"No, no, we'll go back to Mariana and see who'll take us in," says Lis. Giggled when I heard this as it reminded me of the old carl reiner record from the early 90's- the 2,000 year old man where the jewish mom says " I have over 42000 children--and not one comes to visit me! Lis could give anyone lessons on GUILT TRIPS.
 

"No, no, we'll go back to Mariana and see who'll take us in," says Lis. Giggled when I heard this as it reminded me of the old carl reiner record from the early 90's, The 2,000 year old man-- where the jewish mom says " I have over 42000 children--and not one comes to visit me! Poor poor Lis!
 

Etape final means the show is in its final stage. There are 97 episodes total and we have just finished watching episode 60. There for there is about 7 1/2 weeks left of the show.

Grita deserved the smack from her father. It would have been wrong if her husband hit her, but not her father. I am so proud of Ines showing she is not a whimpering wimp. She demonstrates that if you love a person strong enough, they can change. And I think her inner strength is being brought to the fore front because of Vasco's attitude towards her.
 

Great recap. Finally I am clearer about the politics. Interesting that Ric would bring in other pirates for his pardon.Ric-the-Realist.Hmmm....

A Question....if the Archbishop/Godfather was so upset that Ric married under the wrong name and technically is not married, why couldn't he secretly marry Ric and Camila under the de Salamanca name and make their marriage kosher?" That seemed logical to me.
 

Ric has little reason to feel loyal to any of Juancho's gang, since they kidnapped Camila, so perhaps he really did mean it the way it sounded when he said that Foreman was the only one he'd feel badly about turning in.

I didn't pay much attention first time through, though, so maybe I'll take another look.
 

NJ Sue: Archie Gaspar said he was upset about the false name marriage because they need to respect the laws of man. If he marries them secretly, it doesn't solve that legal problem - which is that their marriage needs to be PUBLICALLY legal - Ric's real name on a marriage certificate that they can show to the city clerk and whoever else asks.

I know it seems horribly contrived, but c'mon, it's a telenovela!
 

Thanks for all the great details Melinama. I liked the Marge Simpson hair comparison!

I’m really hoping that Arch washes that ring often!

Marcellino cracks me up – he reminds me of Tweek Tweak on South Park, the little kid with the nervous twitch!

GRita’s pathological jealousy is so out of control it’s not even fun to “hate” her. She’s just sad.
 

I'm no advocate for violence against women but Grita deserved that slap that Justo gave her. She has such a seething hatred for her sister that anything that involves Camila she twists it to justify her reason for hating her so much. I was cheering when Ines couldn't talk Grita's venom anymore and let her have it. I also loved the scene when Don Gaspar presented Ric with the papers that freed him from the setup that started Ric into the life of a pirate. Ric's tears was very moving and how he talked about his love for Camila and wanting a family. I love this show so much I'm going to really hate to see it end. Besides Ric and Camila, Mario and Jimena are also my faves and I love their flirtatious relationship.
 

Meant to say Ines couldn't take Grita's venom anymore. She irks me so much I can't even type straight LOL.
 

Thanks M for the terrific recap. wit and grit.

so, wasn't Ines just the best?

The chino who is japones and insulted speaks to a whole other class and ethnic dynamic. koreans are even more despised. Kind of like how some south americans ridicule mexicanos and others.

Lastima to Eve in the snow. LA is a toasty sunny place -convertible weather - but we won't rub that in ...

V.V. masquerading as GRita
 

I didn't tape/record the show to view again, so didn't Ascanio mention to someone (was it Santi) that Lis isn't a very nice person and uses her blindness to her advantage? Was this part of something coming up in the next episode? Because I like all things Ascanio o o. Thank you.
 

Hi everyone! I was really busy these days and unfortunately I didn't have the time to read the recaps and send my comments so now I am trying to read everything since Cami and Ric got married. It will be like a novel! I am already aware of some of the basic facts and I can't believe that all these things have happened : )

Speaking of novels - in case you read a book that you enjoyed, let me know. I can't find something interesting. Any kind. Thanks!
 

The announcer man said after this episode that we were in "Ultimas Semanas." Maybe they had different phases in the novela, like they did in Amar Sin Limites, where they could have ended it when the villain goes to jail and instead we got weeks of a kidnapping/amnesia plot. Maybe a bunch of storylines get wound up and they are just going to cut it there for us, for some reason. I don't think Univision takes ratings into account, their programming defies all logic but it seems to follow some prescribed plan of their own.

Man it was good seeing nicey-nice Ines give Grita what for and then have her Dad haul off and slap her. What's with Grita wearing a doo rag anyway? Some kind of post childbirth headgear?

As for a redo of the marriage. I agree with what's been said. I don't think that Camila and Ric can do it without risk. There have to be documents and the documents have to be registered for the marriage to be valid. Just another illegal ceremony won't get them anything and a legal one that they try to hide is too risky.
 

You know, I would never wish this on a real person, but I think more than falling trees and scorpions, Rita deserves to be raped and have everyone tell her she was asking for it. So far, she has had zero compassion for any other woman who has been raped.
 

Thanks Julie and Margaret for explaining with the archbishop couldn't marry them. It doesn't make that much sense, but as you said it's a telenovela.

Like everyone else, I agree --the show must go on!
 

I loved Ines in this episode. Kika Edgar shot a great scene...even more than Justo slapping Rita I wanted Ines to have a go at her. Of course, Rita is weak from childbirth, but Ines should challenge her to a duel just like the men in historical novelas do.

I'm glad I don't have sisters.
 

Sophia~~~Nice to see you again. The best book that I have read recently is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hadeed [the author of The Kite Runner]. I also love any travelogue by Bill Bryson. He has a dry , wacky sense of humor.
 

Ladies--you make a good point. Let's hope Ines keeps her newfound claws out when it comes to The GritEater and anyone else who messes with her. Up to this point, she's gone off and cried when someone misbehaved, because she's so sensitive. I don't want her to become mean, but I do want her to start giving as good as she gets. ('cause you KNOW Vasco's going to end up doing something not good for their marriage... you just know it.)

Did anyone notice in the replay of Santi's run through with the sword the horrified mug of Grita prominently center screen? I sure hope her poisonous envy and hatred of her sister is revealed to all by (motor mouth)Paco reproducing the buried (miracle) letter. Yes, I did notice, Fan In Michigan! Horrified mug, indeed. And I am praying HARD for her crap to come out!

LOL@ rhonda from st. louis! Tweak on Southpark. ROFL

Sad to say... being raped is the only thing that has a chance in hell of giving The GritEater any compassion for other raped women. And that's a BIG maybe, with her one-track brain.

Oooooh, yeah--MMMario and Jime's tight hug did give me a nice warm-and-toasty. And the way he tried to soothe the bruises to her mouth with his fingers. *sigh* :)
 

Great recap! Yep, Grita deserved the slap from her dad! She has such a poisonous mouth!!! But doubt if it will do any good since she listens to no one!

Also loved the tender scene with MMMario and Jimena!

For all who tape, don't forget to reset the clock on your vcr's!
 

Melinama, thank you for the fun and funny recap and for filling in for Ferro. (Wow, there were a lot of "Fs" in that sentence.) I loved this episode mainly because GRita got yelled at and slapped, but also because Mario and Jimena were so darned cute. Also because I LOVED the preview of EY all covered with flour and kneading dough. I never warmed up to him much in Destilando (too much bellowing) but Lordy I'm willing to be open-minded about this next one. I always was partial to a hunk who can bake.
 

Thanks Melinama for taking this one on. I love the bullet points for clearer scene breakdown.

Two quick things: 1) Gaspar said Cami was practically his goddaughter instead of granddaughter.
2)When Foreman was speaking of the formerly sexy prostitute he was referring to La Paisana, rather than Juancho's wife (not that I think anyone would marry Juancho anyway).

I don't think Jimena is trying to be difficult about Mario, she just wants to know that her man is hers. If Mario agreed to bring her along on his exploits she'd probably be ok with that (nobody would dare touch the captain's lady) but if she's going to just be in a house somewhere, waiting 'till he shows, she wants some sort of commitment that she's the only one in his life and he's not gonna be sleeping around and keep a babe in every port. That's why she wants marriage. She'd probably also be fine with a getting married by a pirate captain on a boat without any papers signed (esp. with Mario being true to pirate codes and all).

I think Gaspar could have married Cami and Ric with his real name, but he would have to register it in whatever parish that was and thus there would be a document out there with Ric's real name and that could get him caught. Maybe if they timed it right (once Ric managed to get a pardon), they could work the wedding around Gaspar's schedule so he could officiate.

I do remember a lot of controversy with the movie version of Memoirs of a Geisha. All the leads were Chinese, but the characters were Japanese. This really annoyed a lot of Japanese folks. In fairness, they did have to undergo real Geisha training in Japan. The fact that "el Chino" is actually Japanese made a lot of sense to me since the character is played by Yoshio who is half Japanese and half Mexican. Alas, even today most Mexicans call all Asians "chinos" or "chinitos" regardless of whether they are Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Filipino, Vietnamese, or even Indonesian. Hindus do escape 'cause the eyes are different.
 

Thanks everybody. Sorry for the typo re: goddaughter, I'll fix it. And the various elucidations!
 

Mad bess/Susanlynn - thank you, I 'll try to find it. It will be nice to read an interesting book again : )
 

Yay! Sophia from Greece is back!!
 

Haha yes, I am : )
I just hope "Pasion" won't end soon...
 

First of all, Mario, too adorable for words.

OK, can I interrupt Pasion a minute to talk about LFMB por favor?
Along the same adorable lines (re the aforementioned Mario) finally got my LFMB DVDs and watched the first hour or so - OMG - I had never seen the first two months and it was total heaven seeing Jaime Camil from the beginning. Even when he was kind of insensitive to Lety - still adorable. I felt my heart go pitter patter.

I also noticed how less
caricature-like some of the actors were in the beginning - his mom, Alicia, etc. more toned down then they were at the end.

Ay Fernando - Tan divino!!!! Can't wait for his new one to come on.
 

Televisa is re-showing "Rubi" in the afternoons. This was one of their most successful novelas and got me hooked on the genre. It stars Barbara Mori as the scheming, villanous Rubi. I think some of the males here might enjoy how beautiful Barbara Mori is as she sizzles on the screen here. And look for the actors that play our own Santiago and LaFont as major characters in this novela.
 

Inez gets a special hug. She did an admirable job of exploding. Harta for sure!
I finally feel pity for Rita. She was merely crazy jealous; ho-hum-her-mouth-is-moving boring; put her out of my misery. But her imagination in creating frankenstein sister was revealing of how ugly her own soul. She has self-destructed.
I don't agree that Jimena is using a double standard. First because Jimena has talked about how much Antillano and Camilla adore each other and are dedicated to oneanother. That does not seem to have been Jimena's past experience. She now wants that kind of love. To go into a relationship with any man that does not promise the kind of love she wants now would not be wise. The lady is pragmatic, and wise.
nOOWWW Santi is ready to accept that there may be some good in Ri-car-do?! It took an Archbishop?! What about the virtue of not judging others, especially when you envy them. Come now Santi; put that on your list of spirtual growth you must make, forgiving your biological father and forgiving yourself for prejudice enduced by envy.
 

Inez gets a special hug. She did an admirable job of exploding. Harta for sure!
I finally feel pity for Rita. She was merely crazy jealous; ho-hum-her-mouth-is-moving boring; put her out of my misery. But her imagination in creating frankenstein sister was revealing of how ugly her own soul. She has self-destructed.
I don't agree that Jimena is using a double standard. First because Jimena has talked about how much Antillano and Camilla adore each other and are dedicated to oneanother. That does not seem to have been Jimena's past experience. She now wants that kind of love. To go into a relationship with any man that does not promise the kind of love she wants now would not be wise. The lady is pragmatic, and wise.
nOOWWW Santi is ready to accept that there may be some good in Ri-car-do?! It took an Archbishop?! What about the virtue of not judging others, especially when you envy them. Come now Santi; put that on your list of spirtual growth you must make, forgiving your biological father and forgiving yourself for prejudice enduced by envy.
 

Anonymous, "Rubi" was the first novela I watched all the way through. I didn't know about English recaps then, so bought the DVD when it was over. I watched with the English subtitles, to see what I missed--not much, I must say. I loved that one, too!
 

My TV Guide for this week does not show Rubi in the afternoon. Has it already started or is it about to start where you are? I would love to see it.
 

I don't even get Telemundo or Telefutura, never mind Televisa. :(

Was Edith Gonzales in Rubi too? I think Univision may have been running that one in the wee hours last year (or I could maybe just be thinking of something else).
 

I'd like to start a new contest. There's no prize... at least, not for us.

It's the "Get Fortunata a Boyfriend" contest!

Any suggestions? Let's assume that Ric, Mario, Santi, Vasco, and Ascanio are all off-limits. Is there anyone in San Fernando she could be happy with?

I'm thinking probably not, or she would have met him by now. :( But maybe I'm overlooking someone.

Does anyone else get the feeling that there was serious, secret relationship in her past that didn't work out? Or am I trying to hard to give her an interesting backstory?
 

How about the lawyer for Fortunata? But, I also remember she told Sofia that she IS happy and they discussed the irony of thinking a husband and children were needed to be happy when Sofia sits there in no happier circumstance than Forunata.
Now that I think about it, Estrada and crewa may have meant THIS to be the point.
 

Madd Mary, Here in New York, Rubi is on Televisa at 12 noon. It started last Monday, 3/3. It has an over the top, gothic ending, but I loved every episode when it first aired. Julie, Edith Gonzales was not in it. You're probably thinking of "Salome". Another good one. The other leads besides Sebastian Rulli are Jacqueline Baucamonte and Edwardo Santamarina. I can tell you from personal experience that if your husband/boyfriend/son or other gentleman in your life usually complains about or ignores your novelas, he will be glued to the screen when Barbara Mori is on.

Re: Fortunata. I know she said she's okay as she is, but I think her overeating is kind of a metaphor for her desire to be with someone. I think she's just given up because she doesn't have a dowry and may not be "marketable" for that reason. I'll be keeping my eye out for a good match for her :)
 

That is a good point, Cpt. Bonney Morgan, she does say that she's "happy"; but on the other hand, what's her alternative? I don't think the woman is capable of complaining!

The eating may or may not be overcompensation... did women worry about keeping their weight down, or was it considered desirable to have a little extra junk in the trunk? I know these standards haven't always been the same everywhere.

But it's her pleasant demeanor that gets me. She doesn't seem to have a mean bone in her body. I don't know how she would defend herself if someone was unkind to her!

Hey, come to think of it, it's almost as if someone put a normal woman in a machine that could split someone into two people - a positive one and a negative one. Fortunata would be the positive one, and gRita would be the negative one!
 

I know that this will sound crazy and that it would never happen in Pasion but we could match her with one of the twins! Other than that I am not sure if there is someone else with whom they plan to pair her off!
 

No way do I think that Jimena is applying a double standard. Nor do I really think she is looking for true love because her friend found it. She is just practical. She was willing to have given Don Jorge a fling (not when she faked it but earlier)I think because he represents power, protection and lotsa bling. Mario. I don't think that he brings that to her, being a filibustero and all. Thus, the only way she would have him is with the Whole Enchilada. I'm jes saying that. On the other hand, maybe she has grown? Pues sabe.

I love her character.

V.V.
 

I think I heard the terms "fire in blood" or "fire and blood" at least twice in this episode. That's also the name of the upcoming novela, correct? Coincidence? Or not-so-subtle plug?
 

Julie - Fire in blood, I think you mean "fuego en la sangre"? There are many great actors in this telenovela but I am very bad at remembering names. One of the characters is Marcia from LFMB and Carol also from LFMB, the leading actor of "Mariana de la noche" (I think his name is Jorge Salinas) and the leadind actress from amor real (something Noriega)and someone Yanez. Sorry, I am sure many of you know exactly their names!
 

Hi, pirate pals! A little late to the party but had to chime in.

Sophia from Greece: one of the all-time great historical novelists is Anya Seton who was popular in the 1950s. My top pick would be "Katherine." You won't be able to put it down.

And yes, I think Fortunata should get a nice man but why one twin? She should get them both (it's a crime to break up a set).

:-0
 

Sophia, "someone Yanez" is Rodrigo from Destilando - I'd love to see him again! Hopefully this role would be a little different but he is a macho man! Just can't wait!
The Pasion is my 3rd telenovella and I will keep watching them because there is always the "galan" that I almost falling in love with ( Fernando, Rodrigo and now - Ricardo!). I will miss Ric but EY is very good substitution. I hope Fernando Colunga and Jaime Camil will be out soon!

Eve from Cleveland ( hardly survived the last snow storm)
 

Mad Maggie~~~Now, I'm convinced that we must be kin or at the very least there is some cosmic link between us. I love Anya Seton, and I was just about to cast my vote for BOTH Chip N' Dale for Fortunata. She's been waiting a long time...I say ..let her have the pair . As for her delight in eating, in Amor Real,Matilde's maiden auntie also had a hearty appetite and especially enjoyed her hot chocolata and sweet treats.
 

Thank you girls for your proposals! I knew you could hepl me with my book pursuit LOL!

Yes, of course she could have both of them. She would make up for the years of loneliness!

Eve from Cleveland -thanks for the information - he was really familiar but I couldn't remember where I had seen him.
 

Eve, you said, "I hope Fernando Colunga and Jaime Camil will be out soon!" Yes and no. I heard Colunga will be on hiatus from novelas for awhile, expanding his skills. As for Camil, his new novela started in MX a month ago, so it should arrive here in about 2 months (maybe after Guapos?). "Las tontas no van a cielo" W/ Jacque Bracamontes & Valentino Lanus. Romantic comedy, produced by OCampo. Lighter than Fea, not as intense, and not as absurd. Camil's character is more chavo than divino. Very likeable, of course!
 

Re a man for Fortunata. Is Uriel really bad or does he just "do what the bad folks do?" Maybe he could be forgiven an orgy or two but if he hasn't killed any Cristianos (and he is from a prominent family) maybe he could clean up for her.

And Cleveland ("The Pasion is my 3rd telenovella and I will keep watching them because there is always the "galan" that I almost falling in love with ( Fernando, Rodrigo and now - Ricardo!). I will miss Ric but EY is very good substitution. I hope Fernando Colunga and Jaime Camil will be out soon!") this is my 3rd (evening) novela. I got started with LFMB cause I couldn't take my eyes of Jaime! (Lawd Ha'Mecrcy!). Did Accoralada and doing Riendas Del Amor and wish there was someone recapping that. You guys are helping me take my Spanish to a new level!
 

Late to the commenting party, but must join in after this great episode. Melinama, thanks for the satisfying recap. Enjoyed all the comments, too.
Ric, it's good to have a godfather, especially one who can throw around his weight. Marcellino is such a perfect white rabbit (like the one in Alice in Wonderland.) No way he could resist Arch's putdown of podunk San Fernando and the need for speed so he can get to Madrid and the Vatican. Also loved how he told the two officials he would say a prayer for them in St. Peter's basilica (if I understood correctly.)

Mario is the BEST EVAH pirate with a heart of gold. He and Jimena made me go all squishy inside during their sweet reunion.

Ines and Justo tag-teaming gRita made me laugh and cheer. I fear Santi and Rita are guilty of child abuse--making that innocent baby wear one of those mobcaps. They could have made a better baby cap. The nightcaps have been a low-level irritant for me during this TN, so seeing one forced on a helpless baby was just too much.

Fortunata and her future? and her past? I think she's sort of the classic old maid poor relation. Sort of like Tia Fran's position, but younger and happier personality. She also has a better patron in Sofia than Fran had in Tim. I don't think she had a busted relationship in her past, rather no real opportunities. She probably has no dowry, so add that to average looks and you were out of luck for marriage in those days.
She may also be a little older than normal marriage age, not sure.
I don't think the twins would be qualified to marry her, based on social status. Plus, she may not know what to do with all that hawtness. I wondered about Uriel (side curls/Dali moustache). I doubt his courtship of Manuela will work out, so he could be a possibility, if money isn't an issue. Based on my extensive reading of historical novels :-), a girl needed social status, family connections, and money to make a good marriage. Beauty was helpful, but money/land/etc. was better. Many rich families had some poor relations living with them.
La Paloma
 

Forgot to mention--Eduardo Yanez was the main emcee for last night's Furia music awards on Univision. As a special gesture for for us, he changed from tux to charro suit for the last half. Que guapo!
La Paloma
 

Paloma, re marriage prospects for someone like Fortunata. Wouldn't that type make the perfect wife for someone widowed by childbirth, plague, etc? He'd be older, with first wife's kids to raise (and firstborn would inherit estate), so he's not a great catch for a sweet young thing. But he already got 1st wife's dowery, and a lesser catch (older bride w/o money) would still wipe his kids' noses and keep his feet warm in bed.
 

Thanks Paula for information about upcoming Camil's show. Now we all have to face two galanes in the same time frame. Wow, it will be intense! I usually watch only one telenovella in a time but because of that I will have to "change my habits" and watch two! And they both estan muy guapos!

Eve from Cleveland
 

I'd guess "Las tontas no van a cielo" will replace Juan since that will end in about 3 months (and has ended in Mexico). Guapos just started a month and a half ago in the US and is still going in Mexico (about 3 and a half months ahead).
 

I've been meaning for a while now to mention that I'd like to see Fortunata end up with someone, and every time, I get distracted by the action! But she really impressed me when she made that comment about being happy and accepting God's will for her fate - that's such a refreshing change from women like Grita and Lis, who can't think of anything but marriage. I actually tried to imagine her with Santiago, since surely he'll end up as a widower - she may not be the prettiest girl in San Fernando (though she doesn't need a sack over her head, either!), but she's well-bred and accustomed to life in a classy house, and I don't doubt for a minute that she'd show her man the sort of appreciation he deserves - but I just couldn't make it happen.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder