Friday, May 16, 2008

Guapos Thursday May 15, 2008: In my father’s house are many mansions, so why am I in the root cellar?

Leftovers from yesterday: At the hospital the family is gathered, Alex has showed up, but no Mili as he had hoped. The doctor comes out and they all want to know how Regina is. The doctor looks serious.

Over at the convent, the MS and the good padre are discussing plans for the upcoming first communion. Mili comes in, devastated, and tells them that she knows her mother’s name is Rosario and her papa is… The padre finishes her sentence: Constancio. You knew and you didn’t tell me? You deceived me? demands Mili, shocked.

On to the new stuff: How long have you known? asks Mili. Since you went to work at Casa Belmonte, says the padre. We found your medallion and the initials on it turned out to be those of your papa and not your mama as you had always thought. Mili is devastated: And you didn’t tell me? Why? The padre says we didn’t want to destroy a family. But what about me? sobs Mili. And what about the abuela? Shouldn’t she have had the joy of knowing who I was?

Try to understand, says the MS. We wanted to protect you. The padre tells her that he had spoken many times to Constancio to try to get him to tell her the truth. Mili is shocked: He knew? He knew I am his daughter? Timpani of impactadaness.

The surgeon says the operation was a success. You can all breathe out now, the worst is over. Connie asks to see Regina but the surgeon says she’s in recovery. Everyone mills about, relieved. Vale and Alex embrace and Alex says we have to take good care of her so it doesn’t happen again. Luci says to Connie See? I told you your mother will end up burying all of us. Connie is disgusted. He goes to where Alex and Vale are hugging, and pulls Vale away to hug him. Alex looks on, sad. Damien asks Luci to go have a bite in the hospital cafeteria, but she wants to stay with her kids, who look upset. Damien says come on, you’ll be astonished at what I have to tell you.

Luci tells Alex she’s leaving for a bit and asks if he’s okay. He looks pretty shook up, but he says he’s okay. She says don’t forget every cloud has its silver lining, then she leaves. Alex asks Morgan if he knows whether Mili knows about the abuela. Morgan says no, so Alex says please go look for her at the house and the convent. Braulio says he’ll help. Morgan will go look at the convent, and Braulio will check the house. (Doesn’t anybody have a cell phone?) Connie is still hugging Vale. Alex the Unloved reaches over and tentatively lays his hand on Vale’s shoulder.

Back at the convent, the padre is telling Mili that she must be strong, God is testing her capacity for forgiveness. The MS says Connie has known for some time. And he didn’t care enough to tell me? says Mili. No no no says the padre, it’s just that he’s hard-headed. I’ve asked him a thousand times to tell you but he wanted to protect his family and his political career.

Mili asks, He’s that ashamed? The MS says it’s better to wait to talk to him when your emotions have healed up a bit. That’s never going to happen, says Mili holding her stomach, it hurts right here. I’ve always wanted to meet my father, to tell him how he’s hurt my mother and me, all the hate I feel for him. I’m never, never going to be happy.

It’s not good to hate, says the padre. Mili goes to leave, but the padre says wait, and gets out her medallion. Mili says but it was stolen! Well, we got it back, says the padre, don’t ask how. I think you need to wear it now, like you did when you were a child. Mili goes to put it on, and the MS tries to help. I can do it alone, says Mili angrily. You were my family and you deceived me! I feel so alone. She leaves, sobbing.

Luci and Damien are in the hospital cafeteria. He says he wants to talk about Alex’s father. Oh, Connie, says Luci. Nope says Damien. Then you mean Francois? Nope again, I mean the REAL father. Luci feigns ignorance. No more secrets from me, says Damien. I’m talking about Nestor.

Mili is sobbing at the convent altar. You don’t play fair, she tells Jesus, you sent me to work in the house of my father, and you let me fall in love with my brother. What did I ever do to you that you treat me that way? Friends don’t do those kinds of things to each other.

Luci is trying to deny that Nestor is the father, but Damien says he admires how she’s kept it a secret all these years. You better keep it secret too, says Luci, you would destroy Alex. I don’t really feel like keeping it secret, says Damien, unless we can negotiate a bit.

Sor Cachete has heard the news and she comes running out into the convent garden where Mili is crying against a tree. Mili tells her that she feels such pain, she is dying of love. And Connie knows he is her father. But I’m not going to say anything, because Alex would suffer and I want to save him all this pain. But Connie – I don’t know when or where the anvil will fall, but I will be like a shadow, making his life miserable. I’ve prayed to God so often to be able to wreak revenge.

I have to look out for me and mine Damien is telling Luci. Alex has always been the golden boy. Alex this! Alex that! and Hugo was always sidelined. Okay, I wasn’t the best father, but what I want is for Hugo to be a shareholder in the company. Luci considers this: You want him to replace Alex as president? Okay, I agree he will be included if you don’t tell Alex – Hugo can be your representative. No, says Damien, I want him to have his own shares, and you’re going to give them to him.

Mili tells the sor that if she gives up revenge, she will have only this terrible pain in her soul left. Sor Cachete embraces her and tells her to cry it out. Mili says she doesn’t want to cry anymore – she’s all emptied out, plus it doesn’t help anything. The sor says you must forgive, but Mili says I can’t.

The MS in her office is telling the padre that Sor Cachete went to find Mili. There’s a knock and it’s Morgan, who tells them about Regina. They say Sor Cachete will be bringing her. Except she won’t, because now we see Mili crying while she walks through the barrio. Little Gamuzo runs up and says he needs to talk to her. She tells him to leave her alone, and he runs off, hurt. She calls after him and then casts her eyes upward and says look what I did to my little friend.

Braulio is talking to Gloria, Lina, Horacio and Socorro, asking about Mili. They say she left in the morning and hasn’t been seen since. Lina lets slip that Mili was with Alex. Braulio says Alex was alone at the hospital asking about Mili. Oh, and by the way, how is Regina asks the staff. She ought to be home soon, says Brauilio. Lina says she’s worried about Mili, but Braulio says he knows where to find her.

It seems the convent is where everyone goes to bawl. Right now Gamuzo is out on the steps blubbering away and the fountain behind him weeps copiously too. Sor Cachete tries to get out of him what’s wrong. He says Mili doesn’t love him, she yelled at him. The sor says Mili had something bad happen and that’s why she snapped at him. Gamuzo says something bad happened to him too, but he wouldn’t be mean like that. The sor tells him he is stronger than Mili and he likes that explanation. Anyway, his bad thing is that he found out he has a sister, he tells her.

Mili is sitting on the bare floor of her empty house that Regina got her. She has her Bible in her lap, and is looking at the photo of her mother and crying. Braulio comes in unnoticed and looks at her a while. Then he tells her that everyone is looking for her. She tells him in no uncertain terms to go away. He says you know the truth. She wants to know if he knew all along too. I know that his morning must’ve been a shock, he says. She says she wants to die, and he is very sweet and gentle with her and says it’s understandable. She says she wants to go away and never, never come back. He says don’t talk like that, the danger is past. I don’t like to see you cry. I can’t help it, says Mili. Did Luci tell you too? Mili asks. No, she wasn’t home when it happened says Braulio. I just came from the hospital and everything is going to be fine. Mili says what does that have to do with Connie being my father?

What are you saying? says Braulio. I found out my mother’s name is Rosario, says Mili, showing him the photo of her mother pregnant. This is the only photo I have of her with me. You don’t see me because I’m inside. My sister, he says, moved to tears. Your sister? says Mili, you mean you’re not my pretend uncle, you’re my real uncle? Your real uncle and you are my niece he says, so many years! and they embrace, both sobbing. It would be a hard heart indeed that could witness this scene dry-eyed.

The Belmontes are still in the hospital waiting room and Padre Manuel comes in with Morgan. He says he wants to be of support at this hard time, and oh, can I have a word with you Connie? Connie says not right now. Luci and the padre head over to a distant couch. Alex asks Morgan about Mili and Morgan reports she’d just left the convent and that Braulio is looking for her.

Vale walks over beside Morgan. Don’t ever leave again without telling me, she says, making sure Connie doesn’t hear. Over on the far couch, the padre says to Luci how could you? After all these years of keeping it secret, why tell Mili? Luci says this is not the time or place for that conversation. The padre says okay, I’ll talk to Connie then. She says wait! come with me, and they leave the room.

Braulio is still sitting on the floor with Mili. She wants to know why he didn’t tell her. He said you don’t know how much I wanted to, how much I wanted to take you in my arms and cover you with kisses. I found out when I found the photo of Rosario in your bible. He made you keep quiet, didn’t he, says Mili, just like he made Padre Manuel and the MS keep quiet too? But I didn’t want to, says Braulio, that’s why I wrote that letter, so you would know you had a family, a past, so you could see this house, and also to put some pressure on him to tell the truth. I did it for you, Mili. You are all I have in life. He is sobbing again.

Promise me, says Mili, that you won’t tell Connie. I promise, he says, if that’s what you want. It would be best for him to hear it from you. Regina is your grandmother and she’s bad off – we had to take her to the hospital. (Those tears that Braulio had welling up all through this extended scene were the real thing, and not glycerin, it should be noted.)

Andrea walks into her apartment and surprise! There is Hugo lounging on the couch.

Luci is telling the padre that she had to tell Mili that she and Alex are brother and sister, before they tried to get married. The padre gives her a level look. She says why are you looking like that at me? I cannot divulge what I hear in the confessional, he says. Okay, says Luci, then I guess Connie told you that Alex isn’t his son… it’s true and boy am I glad you can’t tell anyone. Thank you for telling me, say the padre, because you just loosened my tongue, since we’re talking publicly now. She tries to forbid him to tell, but he says no such luck. How could you do such a thing, he asks, and hand out such pain? They love each other. No! says Luci, Mili’s just a little diversion for him. The padre says he refuses to let them suffer for a sin they didn’t even commit and he’s going to go tell them now.

Mili trailed by Braulio strides into the hospital room. She spies Connie sitting on the couch with Vale, and gives him a long, steady stink-eye. What? he says, creeped out. Why are you looking at me like that? A pianist marches suspensefully up the lower half of the keyboard. Answer me! Leave her alone, says Alex, taking her aside. Mili is stiff and furious. Why did you leave without saying anything? Alex asks her. Don’t touch me! Mili says. What bugs me is you, she says, seemingly angry. She sits down, but looks sad. Braulio gives her a nod.

The doctor comes in and tells everyone that Regina has been transferred to a room and that she will be kept one or two weeks for observation, then she can go home. Mili says she’ll go see her. Connie says I’ll go first. Mili says, no I’m going first. Connie says she’s my mother. Mili says she’s my mother too and I don’t have to take orders from you. Mili heads off to see Regina. Alex asks what did you do to her? Nothing, says Connie. Vale says how can you let her talk to you like that? She’s always been impudent, but this is too much. Everything has an explanation says Connie. I’d sure love to hear one, says Damien so Connie says, my mother was stupid enough to adopt her – Mili is her daughter now. Everyone is impactado except Braulio, who smiles.

Luci and the padre are having it out. He says it’s terrible what she’s done. She says that she just wants to protect her children, and the padre says he wants to protect Mili. Luci says Mili promised never to tell, and if you tell my husband, I swear Mili will become one of those missing persons. The padre is shocked – how can you make a sick threat like that? I would do anything to save Alex, says Luci. I’m not afraid of hell, because I’ve been living in it for years. She leaves. The padre crosses himself I guess to disperse the smell of brimstone that trails behind her.

Andrea is pouring a cup of coffee for Hugo – a nice big bundt cake is on the counter. She wonders how he got in and he says I remember that you hide the key under the mat. Have your coffee, then leave, she says and she asks why he came back from Barcelona. I got my memory back, says he, and I’d sure like to congratulate you on your lying skills. He lists the fake pregnancy scheme details. She says you’re just as bad.

I’ve come back to win over Mili, says Hugo. I’m going to tell her the whole truth. Too late, says Andrea, she and Alex got married today. (A rare moment when Andrea is out of the loop.)

Mili is talking to Regina who is unconscious in her hospital bed, telling Regina that she found out she is her true grandchild. Please please open your eyes because I need you so much right now. Don’t leave me – don’t let me lose a mother again – don’t leave me alone! She leans on Regina and weeps.

Connie is waiting on the couch, and the family is discussing Mili’s adoption. Luci says she already knew and the padre says he was there when the papers were signed and it was very emotional. Morgan agrees and Vale says if you were there, why didn’t you tell me? I couldn’t, he says, indicating Connie. Just think, now she’s your aunt! Vale rolls her eyes. Connie decides Mili’s turn has been long enough and he gets up to go see Regina.

Luci goes over and asks Alex if he’s okay. No, I’m not he says. The padre gives Luci a look.

Connie comes in to Regina’s room and orders Mili to return to the house. She says why do you separate your mother from the people she loves, like Rosario and the grandchild she wants so much to see and know? It wasn’t me, says Connie, Rosario left without saying a word. Mili is tearful – you never tried to go find her! You destroyed her life and the life of the child! Connie says I’m not going to discuss my life with you. Mili is relentless: What kind of bloodless person are you? You left her when she was pregnant! Connie says I put up with all my mother’s reproaches and I’m not going to put up with yours. I’m not leaving until you answer says Mili I don’t know what’s wrong with you says Connie.

Regina starts to come around and they rush to her. She says she feels a bit urpy (dizzy?). What are they arguing about so much?

Hugo arrives at Casa Belmonte with his suitcase. Karla is dusting and greets him happily. To her disappointment he asks where Mili is. He doesn’t seem to be as nice as he was when he lost his memory. Karla says they’re all at the hospital because of Regina. Hugo looks concerned.

Mili is telling Regina that they weren’t arguing, but Regina says she heard them yelling. Mili stays with me, says Regina, you were very clear, Connie, you said I should be in an institution. Mili is shocked. Leave me alone with my mother, says Connie. Regina says the one who should go is you – don’t fake an affection you don’t feel.

I just said that institution bit in the heat of the moment, says Connie. I love you. Regina pulls her hand back from him and says it’s hard to believe you. Get out, says Mili! And don’t bother my grandmother again. Regina corrects her: your mother, Mili. The doctor comes in and asks them to leave so he can examine her.

Down in the waiting room, Connie and Mili report that Regina is awake and doing okay. Alex asks Mili if he can talk to her, but Luci butts in and asks him to come sit with her. Later, says Alex. Mili says go sit with her, we can talk later. Connie asks the padre if there was something he wanted to tell him. I just came to see about Regina, lies the padre. Luci says everything’s okay now and he can run along.

The padre wants to take Mili, but she rather brusquely tells him to go. Connie says what’s wrong with you anyway? Are you mad at the whole world? The padre says all this with Regina has been hard on Mili. She says she’ll walk him as far as the elevator. There he makes a little speech while she is angrily turned away. He says he hopes she will forgive him one day, that he has always cared for her since she was little.

Luci comes up and reminds Mili to keep her mouth shut. And don’t go saying anything to the abuela – you wanna kill her?

Avances: Mili is telling Connie she would love to get far away from him where he can’t touch her. She’s part of the family whether he likes it or not. Hugo walks in and thinks that means that she’s married Alex. I didn’t quite get the other avances, but Al is weeping and Hugo is kissing Mili.

Labels:


Comments:
Excellent title, and wow, you're right, that was an action packed episode!
 

I looked at that title and I KNEW...this must have been Maggie's night to recap.
Not going to read it 'till I watch the show which I recorded last night, but you're still on a roll, kid....
And I too like the King James version better than the modern," in my father's house there are many rooms" No poetry in the mod versions of the Bible. Like translating Shakespeare into current slang...eeeeech
 

Another great title, Maggie.

Melinama, have you decided to start watching this show after all? It's the only show with high-class Latin-American poetry!

I agree on the Bible. I went to a Reconstructionist Jewish funeral on Monday, and the rabbi read a new translation of the 23rd psalm, and it was just strange.
 

Hi Nina, no I just don't have time to watch another novela but Maggie commented that the show has been heating up so I read her recap and wow! No kidding!
 

Great recap, I got home so late I missed it, I would've anyway due to Ugly Betty, but I would've caught commercial time.

Now I am forced to have a BiPolar swing...Const, & Luci are so going to burn in hell..
 

Maggie: Awesome recap.

I wondered what had happened to Mili’s medal when the fake son was run out of town. That clever padre and mother superior knew where it was though.

Mili really held her own against Consti. Now that she’s got his number, he’d better watch his back.
I also thought the scenes between Val and Morgan/Rocky were very well done. The comedic timing was real good.

I feel a little sorry for Alex. Although he qualifies as a dumb___s most of the time, he has actually been more sympathetic lately. I don’t know why Luci is so compelled to “protect” him. He would probably be better off without Consti as his father. If she’s looking for money and position for him, Nestor has as much to offer without all the psychoses.

From lower Ala
 

I really don't want to be unfair to "Fuego." I forgot that the Nora Salinas character and Franco read poetry together.
 

Great recap. This was definitely the best episode yet! I hate Luciana. And I really hope that Regina finds out that Mili is her granddaughter before she dies.
 

I just want to comment that it was quite a moment when Mili had a slip of the tongue and called Regina "grandma," but Regina just thought she was using the old fake grandma nickname.
 

Those scenes with Mili and Braulio were truly heart rending. Every time I think this girl can't get better she fools me. Absolutely every emotion she showed last night to everyone was spot on. This girl is going to be a great actress. You can't help but feel for Mili at this point. Everyone in her life has betrayed her. She has to feel that the rug has totally been pulled out from under her and thinking that al is her brother keeps her from being able to seek comfort from him.

Every time I think Luci can't get more vile or stoop any lower she does. Her day will come and when it does I will rejoice. Imagine threatening a priest.

I do wish the padre would tell Al the truth before he goes off the rails. You are right Hugo seemed a lot nastier and colder then when he left for Spain. I see trouble ahead as Damian guides his son into the business. More competition for Al.

I love how fearless Mili is with Connie. She has the upper hand with him and he knows it. Now I wonder if Rosario did leave him without a word and wonder if we will ever know the whole story.

Drat too bad Regina didn't hear that Mili is her real grandchild but I must admit I did love the reveal to the family that now she is an adopted Belmonte. Al didn't seem to get the impact of that but Snobby Spice was horrified that she has a new Tia. Wait until she discovers not a tia but an hermana. Smelling salts coming up.

Come on Mili get your inheritance and boot the Belemonte family from your house.
 

I thought the acting was stunning last night too, both Mili and Braulio were powerful.

Speaking of power, I noticed last night that Mili, though she feels at her lowest ever, actually exercised more power than any of the Belmontes. That’s quite a switch from being just a servant in the household. Her power didn’t come from being adopted, but from her own strength and outrage.

A big hole in the plot to me is the concept that Alex would be better off not being told that the girl he fell in love with is his sister. Now he’s just stunned and devastated, with no (much-vaunted in the pysch lit) closure.

But major kudos to the writers who have spent so much time intricately plotting our show so that when it all comes to head like it did this week, scores of story lines about who knows what and when all converge, hit a critical mass, and explode. It’s so complex I have trouble keeping it all straight.
 

Great recap Maggie! This was a really great episode. I'm so impressed with this telenovela - it's turned into a real gem. The emotions are so powerful and the story continues to surprise. The actress playing Mili is fantastic for her age.

I feel really bad for Alex. Lately he's seemed much more mature and dedicated to Mili, and now he's left alone and bewildered.

Hugo does seem to have an edge now, a confidence that was never there before. I also think he is actually more attractive now. He always kind of creeped me out before, but he looks better somehow. Apparently they have better barbers/hairstylists in Spain.

Luciana has crossed over and is beyond redemption. I don't blame the Padre for crossing himself as she left. I'm not even Catholic and I felt the urge to do the same!
 

Howdy =)

I think the reasoning behind not telling Alex is that he would be horrified to find out he'd been lusting after his sister (and almost slept with her on a number of occasions). This way he can just feel unloved, but not dirty. Luci's banking on the fact that he'll get over Mili 'cause she's not taking his feelings for Mili seriously. Mili probably figures it's better that he hate her, rather than know he's committed a sin. It's not brilliant logic, but Luci's a psycho and Mili's too young to know better. I think the only silver lining in this disaster (yes, draw big "L" on my forehead for getting too into this) is that it delays the inevitable ('cause TN logic dictates they must) wedding, giving them some time to grow up just a little more (they've grown up quite a bit, but they've still got a little way to go).

I like Hugo's new "do." Can't say I'm sorry he left Pilar in Barcelona, but I hope he doesn't manage to get Mili back in his clutches.

With Regi in the hospital for the next two weeks, I suppose Mili can be sure to have doc Ruben on the ready with the paddles when she spills the beans about being the long lost grandkid.

I do wonder about the will: Regi has put in a clause that requires Mili to marry before she can get her $$$. What happens if she doesn't? She thinks Al is her brother and there is nobody else that even hints at a decent match for her. Wonder if Regi will leave someone else to administer the fortune until Mili picks a spouse. Inquiring minds want to know!!!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder