Thursday, May 08, 2008

La Traición: Wed. May 7 - Hugo and Soledad have it out and get it on; Eloisa is a material girl and the flower has power!

We open with the confrontation between Hugo and Soledad at the Hacienda. I am going to put the whole scene together even though it was broken up on the show.

H: I was so worried about you. I was looking for you everywhere.
S: Don’t pretend, Hugo, or should I call you Alcides?
H: I deserve all the hate I see in your eyes but I assure you that I was going to find you and tell you the truth.
S: Really? After so many months of deceiving me, you were finally going to find me? It’s a little late, don’t you think? What did you expect? That I would be dying to kiss you? That I would tell you that I’m happy that you are alive? Why? Why did you have to do this to me? Why did you have to break my heart? (Hugo sighs) I want answers. I need answers. Why did you do it? Why?

H: It was all vengeance for a mistake that I made and for which I am paying dearly. I don’t want to lose you. I don’t want to. Sit down please and let me explain.
S: I don’t want to sit just tell me everything.
H: Soledad, you made me happiest man in the world. I loved you so much, much more than I ever thought I could love anyone. We were going to be married but my brother and Arturo de Linares set a trap. They poisoned me because they wanted to it appear that there had been an accident. They wanted to kill me so that I couldn’t come to the church. But I survived and managed to get home. But the next morning, I didn’t wake up because I was having a catalepsy attack. Then you came. I heard you cry out but it was so horrible, I couldn’t move or say that I was alive. I swear to you that each of your tears was like a dagger in my heart.

H: The hours of my velorio were an eternity. I hoped that you would come. I knew that you would come and save me because deep in my consciousness I knew that if I heard your voice I would be saved from the catalepsy attack. But you didn’t come, my love (amor mio), you didn’t come. Where were you? (You know this Hugo, you learned it yesterday.)
S: I was sick with pain because of your death. I was sick; a doctor was by my side. I learned that day that I was pregnant with your child. I risked losing my baby. For that reason, I couldn’t go out. I had to stay in the house for my daughter.
H: (crying) My daughter. I have a series of memories of that night, the worst of which was hearing your mother talking to Manrique.
S: Why did you believe her?
H: Because they thought I was dead. They were talking in front of my casket. Why wouldn’t I believe them? (Why should truth be spoken in front of a dead person's casket? I would bet many untruths are spoken in such situations because in most cases, the dead person isn't going to say, 'that's not true.')
S: Because of the love that I had shown, Hugo or wasn’t all that we had gone through together sufficient? With my whole body and soul. I was yours. That was the truth. You should have known that what they were saying was lies.
H: I couldn’t think clearly. I was tormented because in a few hours they were going to bury me. They buried me alive.
S: Then, Alcides knew… he buried you alive?
H: I couldn’t believe it myself.
S: If that is so, how were you saved? How did it happen?
H: By the crime of Los Burque who dug me up minutes before I asphyxiated. But I swear to you that when I woke up, my first thought was of you.
S: If that was so, why didn’t you come find me? Why didn’t you tell me that it was all a lie and that you weren’t dead?
H: Of course, I came looking for you but I was too late. You had married Alcides. You were the wife of my brother.
S: You didn’t see that I was dressed in mourning? I wore black for you, Hugo to respect your memory.
H: Soledad, you waited so little time.
S: Because I was pregnant. I did it all to help my parents. (You learned this too, yesterday Have you forgotten already?) Why didn’t you look for me?
H: Because that night something happened that convinced me of your betrayal.

S: What betrayal? I never betrayed you.
H: Soledad, the night of your wedding with Alcides in the cabaña where I made you mine, I saw you, I saw you kissing him. I wanted to come in and kill you but I couldn’t. I went away.
S: Your brother made himself look like you. I was confused. I thought he was you.
H: Swear it to me. Swear it to me by our daughter.
S: I swear by the most sacred thing that I never was with Alcides. Never.
H: Now I believe you. But that night when I saw you kissing him, that night I swore that I would make you pay dearly for your betrayal.

S: How could you be so perverse, Hugo by making me love you as your brother?
H: I wanted to run away from you, leave my wish for vengeance behind and forget you forever but I couldn’t because I found out that they had put you in a sanatorium because they thought you were crazy.
S: I saw you everywhere. I knew you were alive at the bottom of my heart but no one believed me. You tried to torture me all the time.
H: That’s not true. I looked for you because I loved you and months later when I returned it was because I was concerned about the health of your baby, of our baby. By chance, I assisted at the birth of our daughter. I had no choice but to pretend to be Alcides. Why did you lie to me? (referring to telling him that Alcides was the father of the baby)
S: Because I was afraid. Because I thought you were the same Alcides who had never stopped mistreating me. It was the only thing I could say to protect my daughter.
H: It all was a trap of fate. As much as I wanted to take vengeance on you, I couldn’t. I couldn’t because I love you and I have loved you with all my heart. I never stopped loving you.
S: It’s a lie, it’s a lie. Your thirst for vengeance was more important than your love for me. When you were pretending to be Alcides, you saw me suffering many times and you did nothing. You didn’t care about my pain. You saw me suffering. When I found out you had catalepsy, I nearly went crazy until I had your grave opened to see if you had been buried alive. I did it and I saw man buried face down. Hugo, can you imagine what that meant to me? You can’t imagine because it was horrible. At that moment, you could have said that that man isn’t me, Soledad. That man isn’t me because I’m alive but you didn’t do that. Because your pain, your rage, your desire for vengeance was more important than what you felt for me. (she hits him) I didn’t deserve that pain. I didn’t deserve it because you knew that I loved you. (she continues to hit him) How could you do it? How could you be so cruel?

S: I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! (hitting him and screaming)
H: I was filled with hate and blind with jealousy. But I swear that I tried to stop this vengeance many times. The more that I felt that I wanted to hurt you, the more I loved you.
S: Shut up! Shut up! You are a wretch. When you love, you don’t doubt. You speak the truth and you didn’t do that ever.
H: I never stopped loving you, never. I need you to forgive me.
S: I don’t love you. I don’t feel anything for you. The only thing I feel is for you is hate. Do you hear me? I hate you. I never want to see you again. (She hits him some more.) I hate you. You made me betray the memory of Hugo when I believed he was dead. You made me give Alcides another opportunity and it was you. Why did you make me fall in love with you twice? I won’t forgive you for that. (she hits him) I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!
She collapses against him and he picks her up. She struggles and he kisses her forcibly and she responds. (All this was before the credits!)

A nice love making scene mercifully without dialog.

(Much as I love Hugo, when we see it all laid out here, it’s a pretty damning indictment of his behavior. If he was stupid in deciding that he had been betrayed the first time, he was just downright cruel in what he did to Soledad after he came back as Alcides. Poor Hugo, he can’t curse those who are really responsible – the writers!)

Eloisa says to Alcides that his entrance to the fiesta was spectacular. Alcides says that it has been a long time since he saw her. She asks where he has been and is he really a millionaire? “You ask so many questions,” he says, “and all at the same time. Which do you want me to answer first?” Naturally, Eloisa wants to know about the money. Alcides says that she can find that out for herself. He invites her to put her hands, gently, wherever she wants. She rummages in his pockets and finds wads of cash everywhere. She says that he is a walking bank. He says that it has been a long time since he made love to a woman. Since money is what really turns Eloisa on, they do it on a bed covered with banknotes.

At the Casa Obregon, there is no news. They have to wait.

In the tavern, Arturo tells the assembled men that Hugo has been passing himself off as his brother Alcides all this time and Arturo is sure that the mine is a lie too. Manrique says that Arturo himself confirmed that there was gold in the mine. Arturo says that’s what Hugo made them think. Now he doesn’t believe there is any gold there. They gave all their money to Hugo de Medina but it’s in Alcides’ name. Hugo could leave town with it and they would not have any recourse. Arturo recommends that the investors sue Hugo to get their money back. Rebeca tells Paquito that she has problems. She introduced some of those investors to Hugo. If their money is lost, they’ll have her head. Paquito is not sympathetic. He didn’t invest anything so he doesn’t care. He asks Margot if she has seen Eloisa. She says no.

Eloisa says to Alcides that she hasn’t seen that scar on him before. He replies that it was done by woman. Eloisa says that she must have been a wild cat. Alcides replies that she paid a high price for her error. Eloisa asks who it was. Does she know her? Alcides says that he wants to talk business. Eloisa says that she is listening. She assumes that it has to do with Soledad. She holds a wad of bills up to her nose and says that she loves the smell of money. She asks how Alcides came to be a millionaire. He replies that she will never know that. Eloisa gets to the point. What does he want her to do? He says that he wants her to be his partner. If she does what he wants, she will become very rich. “What do I have to do?” she asks. “I will tell you in a minute,” says Alcides, “but the day that Soledad is mine, I will give you half my fortune.”

Eloisa says that she doesn’t understand how she can help Alcides get Soledad. “You say you love her but you make love to me. I think you have a terrible obsession, Alcides.” Alcides says that he doesn’t want her opinion. Does she want money or does she want to leave right now empty handed? Eloisa says she will do what he wants but Soledad is Alcides lawful wife. He can force her. What does he need Eloisa for? Alcides says that he wants Soledad to come to him willingly. He has a plan. He wants Eloisa to become Soledad’s best friend. Eloisa says that she can guess the rest. She will stay at Soledad’s side all the time and report on who she sees, what she does and especially her meetings with Hugo. Alcides says Soledad won’t be able to take one step without his knowing about it. Eloisa agrees with one condition. She doesn’t want anyone to know about their agreement including her allies. “Done”, says Alcides.

Dr. Max is packing up and leaving town (is he taking the Cabinet of the dead wife?) Dr. Dan and Michelle arrive. They want Dr. Dan’s father’s book. (I thought they already got them.) Dr. Max hands them over. They want to use a laboratory. Dr. Max says fine, use my laboratory. I won’t be back for a long time. Dr. Dan says he thought Dr. Max was interested that Michelle had been cured of catalepsy. Dr. Max says that she is wrong. She has not been cured. There is no cure for catalepsy.

We’re back to square one at the Casa Obregon. Both Antonia and Lucas are going to return to live there to help Soledad.

Paquito is looking for Eloisa in the tavern. Marina comes in.

Michelle asks Dr. Dan, who has been studying his father’s papers whether he discovered a cure for catalepsy. Dr. Dan says that he needs one more proof to confirm it. He needs to study her blood. The proof is in her blood.

Ester and Lucas work a deal to stay together for Soledad’s sake. Lucas will give up the Mysterious Lady and they will have separate bedrooms.

Hugo wakes up with a smile but Soledad is gone. “I’ve lost her,” he says. “I’ve lost her forever.” There’s a knock on the door. It’s Boris saying that the employees of the Hacienda are ready to search for Soledad. Hugo tells him that Soledad is at the Hacienda and to cancel the search. (Poor Boris. Hugo didn’t tell him Soledad was there earlier.)

Soledad is walking through the square remembering Hugo saying that he always loved her. People start whispering and pointing.

At the lab, Dr. Dan has concluded by using the primitive microscope that Michelle’s blood does not contain any trace of catalepsy. Michelle is happy to be proved right that she is cured. But Dr. Dan needs the flower to be sure that they have the cure. Michelle says that if they can’t find he flower, their trip here was for nothing. In comes Antonia and tells them that the flower is flourishing in her sister-in-law’s garden. Antonia says that if they won’t tell her what they want the flower for, she won’t tell them where it is. She asks where Dr. Max is. Michelle says that he went on a trip and let them use his laboratory. Michelle explains that they need to flower to develop a cure for catalepsy. Antonia says that she is interested in that, her niece’s daughter suffers from catalepsy.

Ester and Lucas are having the same old argument about Jeremias and the house when Soledad comes in. She hugs Lucas and he says that he is there to protect her.

Marina is looking for Eloisa. Paquito guesses that Marina is Eloisa’s spy in Hugo’s house. Before he can do anything about it, Eloisa comes in and drags Marina off.

Boris looks at Marina’s picture and takes out some baby booties while he remembers what Marina said. He cries. Ursula comes in. Boris says that Marina has abandoned him and separated him from his child. Ursula comforts him.

Eloisa scolds Marina for looking for her in a public place like the tavern. Marina says that she didn’t have a choice. Boris threw her out. She needs the money Eloisa promised her and a place to live. Paquito comes in and says that he has discovered Eloisa’s secret ally.

Hugo has memories in Soledad’s room. He finds the diary that Soledad wrote when she was pregnant. Ursula comes in and says that Soledad sent her to collect her diary. Hugo gives it to her without a word. He goes into the hall and sees Alcides downstairs.
H: What are you doing in my house, Alcides? How did you get in?
A: The door was open.
H: You’ve come to make me pay for not sending me to jail at the party. What do you want in return?
A: I only want one thing. I want to talk about Soledad.
H: Listen, Alcides.
A: Not here. What I am going to tell you will change both our lives. Meet me in an hour at the cabaña in the woods. And Hugo, let no one know you saw me.
Ursula overhears this.

Ester tells Soledad that she should forget about Hugo. He has been telling her lies for months. Soledad says that she has a nerve talking about lying. She says that she found out that Hugo heard what Ester said to Manrique at Hugo’s velorio. Ester pretends that she doesn’t know what Soledad is talking about. Soledad says that she is tired of Ester’s lies. Because of her, Hugo was convinced that she married Alcides for money. Because of that, he tried to destroy her, because of that he deceived her all this time. He wanted to come back to me and I sent him away. I sent him away. Ester apologizes and says that she never wanted to hurt Soledad. She says that Soledad knows that she has only done things for her wellbeing. She has to get over this and move on. Soledad tells her to shut and stop telling her what to do. She doesn’t need her to tell her what to do. She says that she loves her mother and her family is very important to her but from now on, she will make her own decisions. Is that clear?

Eloisa tells Marina that she has to return to Hugo’s house. Marina says that she can’t go back. Paquito suggests that Marina tells her husband that she regrets her decision. Marina says that she doesn’t want to go to jail. Eloisa says that rich people never go to jail.

In the Obragon garden, Michelle says, “So this is the famous flower.” Dr. Dan says that it is ironic that all this time, her niece was hiding the flower that could save her daughter’s life. Antonia says that if what they have told her is true, little Aurora’s life is saved. She wants to go tell Soledad but Michelle says that they have to make sure they aren’t raising false expectations. From what happened in the park today, Soledad is suffering a lot, it wouldn’t be fair to raise her hopes until they are sure the cure works. Dr. Dan says that as soon as they have definite information, Soledad will be the first to know.

Ursula gives Soledad the diary. She says Hugo was reading it when she found him. Soledad asks her to leave her alone. She has lots of things to think about. Before she goes, Ursula tells Soledad about what she heard Alcides tell Hugo. She is afraid that it might be a trap and that Alcides will kill Hugo. “Let him be killed, then,” says Soledad, “I’m not going to lift a finger to stop it.” (We know that’s not true.)

Marina tells Eloisa that since she isn’t rich, there’s nothing to keep her from going to jail. Eloisa says that she is rich and she will make Marina her protégé. Paquito is intrigued. At this moment, Boris comes in and asks, “From whom and with what are you going to protect this woman?”

Arturo tells his posse of investors that with this suit for restitution and damages, they will not only get their investment back, they will put Hugo in the street.

Dr. Dan is running tests on the flower. Michelle finds a little piece of paper in one of his father’s books and gives it to him. He reads it, looks in the microscope and says that he understands everything. Here is the secret for a cure for catalepsy.

Hugo comes to the cabaña. Alcides says that he knew Hugo would show up.
H: What is the mystery? What do you want to say? What’s happening with Soledad?
A: I want to challenge you to a duel, brother.

H: Now I understand why you withdrew the charges. Because you didn’t want to let me be put in jail.
A: What are you talking about?
H: In one way you haven’t changed, Alcides. You still have the same hate for me. Listen to me brother. I won’t accept any duel to the death with you. I’m not going to kill you.
(He hands Alcides his g*n.) If you want to kill me, do it yourself.
A: (in English) The Peacemaker. (in Spanish) The famous Peacemaker. (He demonstrates his fancy g*n handling skills and hands the g*n back to an astonished Hugo.) Who said anything about death? I didn’t mention weapons. I wasn’t referring to a duel with pist*l or swords. (Soledad is listening outside) Brother, I’m referring to a duel of love.
H: I don’t understand you.
A: I challenge you to a duel for the love of Soledad.
H: You’ve already won. You’re married to her. My daughter is registered in your name.
A: I will fix those two things so that we are even. We’ll start from zero. We fight cleanly for the love of Soledad. Do you accept?
H: I accept.
Soledad comes in and says, “Good evening, Medinas (Señores Medinas).” Hugo and Alcides are impactados.

The credits roll.

Labels:


Comments:
Nancy: For me, there’s no apology necessary for lengthy comments. I absolutely understand how valuable it is to be able to share opinions on this blog because for me, too, it’s the only place I can talk about this show. Besides, I thoroughly enjoy your insights as they frequently mimic my own & then go beyond, and are so entertaining to boot. So blog away!

So we got the “reunion” love scene, preceded by The Whole Truth. I was happy, I guess, but I also wanted to cry. It was so bittersweet. The scene was tastefully done, but given the way it started, I was expecting a little more fire; even some tears. A lot of complex emotion going on there – love, hate, regret, fear, relief – and that was just ME! ;-) (I let loose a few tears and I wasn’t even involved so I expected them to be at least as choked up as me!)

So now we have the Love Duel? I think I’m going to hate this part. We had to wait so long for Hugo & Soledad to finally stop jerking each other around, and now more separation. I find myself getting frustrated with Hugo’s “wounded” expressions and his supplications. I know it’s just the benefit of my seeing the whole picture, but I keep thinking, “Enough; buck up & be a man. Yeah, you messed up. Now what’ll you do about it?”

One thing that always bugged me: When Soledad cried over him in her wedding dress, thinking he was dead, apparently that wasn’t enough to convince him that she loved him. (It apparently also wasn’t enough to bring him out of his attack, as it would in later occurrences. Hmm…must have been the poison complicating the situation.) Yet when known enemies tell lies over his coffin at the velorio, them he believes?

Eloisa and Marina have me absolutely nuts, and with Alcides in the mix they form quite the Unholy Axis. I just hope they don’t invite Arturo to join their nasty little alliance.

Boris has me really worried. With his calm exterior, I didn’t imagine Marina’s leaving would throw him into the display of emotion that we got. Kudos to Ursula for not holding back when he needed support. YOU GO GIRL!!!!
 

Thanks for your comment Jean. I'm so glad that I am making people laugh.
 

Does anybody know why Dr Max bailed out in such a hurry?

Today’s medical technology has nothing on Dr. Max’s lab. Young Von Chirac took Michelles’ blood and analyze it, then went to get the miracle flower, did whatever it is he had to do to run the tests and got the results all in a matter of minutes. Not even CSI comes close in speedy lab results.

I think the last catalepsy attack left Hugo brain damaged. I for the life of me didn’t think he was going to accept the “reto.” I am very glad Soledad heard them, now she knows what they are up to. He wants Soledad back and instead of cleaning up his act, he continues to make more mistakes.

I am too worried about Boris’s reaction for Marina. I never thought he was really in love with her. I was more like she forced herself to him. I hope he doesn’t start listening to her now because if we look closely he is the only one in Hugo’s side. If he leaves Hugo, Hugo would be in really big trouble.

Well, maybe then would be the time for Michelle to move in.
 

Welcome back, Oriana. Moving is such a hassle. I hope you are settling in.

Give a welcome to Bruce Miller who blogged Zorro with us here. Ah yes, I remember your fascination with Selenia, the hechicera (sorceress) who made an all too brief appearance on Zorro. BTW, I've been watching Pasión de Gavilanes that is being rerun during the day on Telemundo and the guy who played Agapito is on it as an incomptent henchman.

Bad news for Michelle haters. The teaser for tonight's episode says:


El secreto de la cura para la catalepsia es la excusa que acerca finalmente a Michelle con Hugo, a pesar del sufrimiento que él enfrenta por la pérdida y rechazo de Soledad.

The secret of the cure for catalepsy is the excuse that will finally bring Michelle close to Hugo in spite of his suffering from the loss and rejection of Soledad.

Keen eyes spied a flower in the fire scene from the scenes from tonight's episdode so I guess Eloisa, in a weird black cape, is going to set medical research back by destroying the flowerbed. Maybe Enrico will have to come back as a ghost to get a new supply.

Old Dr. Chirac must have been a real slacker if he couldn't figure out a cure working for years and years and junior does it one night.

Why did Dr. Max leave town? Well, apparently robbing graves is a capital offense in San Marino. He has always been afraid that if it was known that Hugo survived by having been dug up by grave robbers and Los Burque were accused, they would give him up in a second. Kind of a stretch since, I guess the "victim," Hugo, would decline to press charges. I just think they wanted Dr. Max out of the way for a while so that Dr. Dan and Michelle could advance medical science without his interference.

I know what you mean about Hugo being brain damaged. After being the recipient of Soledad's fury for trying to manipulate her, he goes and accepts a dumb bet. He knows deep down that Soledad loves him and he is the father of their child (and maybe another one, who knows). He just needs to give it some time and she would come back to him. But that won't happen.
 

Wow that was one hour packed show last night! I'm still thinkin "When is Boris going to tell Hugo about Marina?." Hugo is so wrapped up in his self that he can't even see Boris' heart bleeding all over the place.

Also what's up with Alcides? That money has really made him happy. He seems almost brotherly to Hugo now.

I too thought the love scene was going to be a caught up in the heat of passion sort of like Eloisa and Paquito who always fight and make up. But maybe they wanted to make sure that we knew this was a deliberate act.

I guess now Aurora's going to have a little baby brother. That's how Hugos going to win.☺
 

Oriana – Welcome back! Hopefully you’ve managed to catch up because it’s been a bumpy ride! I wouldn’t wish Arturo on anyone (even on Michelle) – I just want her to go home!

And welcome Bruce. It’s nice to know that there are more die-hard fans out there to share this fascinating telenovela with.

Regarding Hugo waking up a la Scarlett in “Gone with the Wind” – Without benefit of a recap last night I thought it was all a dream.

The Blonde Trio (Paquito plus Rebecca & Margo) looked vampires all attired in shades of dove grey.

I loved Alcides’ and Eloisa’s game of "Find the Dinero." Eloisa has found her true calling as the town’s highly paid call girl. Batty Bea must be coming back because they keep referring to her obliquely (such as, “where did you get that scar?”).

Continuity (tsk, tsk) thought we wouldn’t notice that Dr. Chirac’s books had mysteriously returned to Dr. Max’s lab. And is Dr. Max really going to leave behind his beloved Eva? Maybe Mayflower is coming to pick up the armoire.

Now we know the reason Alcides didn’t press charges against Hugo. A STUPID DUEL!! Great idea, Medina boys! Act like five-year olds and fight over Soledad is if she’s a coveted toy. Has Hugo learned nothing through the years but that Alcides doesn’t play fair! I guess sibling rivalry trumps true love! Alcides said he would fix two things: The marriage to Soledad and Aurora’s birth record. I had wondered how Soledad might become a free woman, other than Alcides’ death.

I think one reason that Hugo looks so hopelessly lost is that he is faced with a radically changed brother. Alcides now exudes confidence and isn’t the whipped dog of yore. Hugo is being thrown for a loop by this dramatic shift in their power base.

I wondered what Druid Eloisa had set ablaze. Even after your explanation, Jean, I could barely spot the flower. You’ve got sharp eyes! And who is falling or being thrown (maybe Soledad)? Guess we’ll find out tonight!

Nancy
 

Yes, I felt sorry for Boris. He's gone way beyond the call of duty and doesn't get any support when he needs it. I thought that Boris and Hugo were suppose to be raised more like brothers, but it's not that way now.

Yes, Hugo is doing more stupid stuff. I thought their one nighter was a rather short reunion, even if she's mad. Boy, do they have chemistry. I still can't get over that rain scene...
jb
 

I keep forgetting to mentioned this, but is turkey season over? I don’t think I’ve heard any of those gobblers lately. Could it be that someone at Telemundo is monitoring this site for helpful hints? We’re always glad to be of assistance!

Nancy
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder