Thursday, June 05, 2008

Fuego June 5: "I know the taste of this bread!" Pablito scores a triceratops.

I am just too tired to proofread this now. Please let me know what I've missed. No donkeys today. I haven't been watching so I don't know how much of this is repeat...
  • Sofia expressionlessly listens as Eva says "my great love was your father." She drops a cup, though, so I deduce she is impactada.

  • What a festival, it's bigger than the NC state fair, somebody suddenly arranged for ferris wheels and carnies and everything, all to celebrate the safe return of Juan and Sofia?

    Juan takes Pablito and his gramma Delfina around the fairgrounds and Juan buys stuff for the kid and cuddles him on the ferris wheel. It's cute. With Juan's subtle assistance Pablito wins a clay triceratops, I've never seen a prize that nice at the fair.

    There's a fake marriage registry at the fair - Oscar struts up to Jimena and Tweedle, tells Tweedle to buzz off, and suggests: "Let's get married." They kiss behind his sombrero.

  • Somewhere on the grounds, Furd accosts Sofia (she's dressed in a long black nun-like outfit), calling her an egoist who only thinks of herself "but I did everything for you, my only sin was to love you... you'll live tied to me as long as that's what I want."

    As usual Furd gets threatening, just then Juan arrives and gets threatening right back, just then Father Bouffy arrives and says "ENOUGH, Furd, you weren't invited to this event, so leave!"

    The little foursome breaks up - Juan and Sofia grin and don't kiss (what would the neighbors think?) while Tadeo tells Furd: "You're so brave with a gun in your hand, hiding in the shadows, with your face covered." "I'm tired of you." "Well, God's getting tired of you." "Careful little father, one of these days you'll encounter your worst enemy hiding in the shadows..."

  • I will have to read back and find out why Gramps is sitting alone in his wheelchair by the waterfall near Libia's shrine. (There was some other novela where a guy in a wheelchair - and even maybe in a coma - escaped a speeding car and threw himself to safety by the side of the road.) He likes Libia's sanctuary and promises not to disturb her peace. He eats something sort of dry and crackly.

  • Since Juan's pockets were no longer available, Pablito was broke and reduced to staring longingly at the hotcakes until Rosario came along. She bought him two - one was for the dog - Pablito tears into the pancake not really listening as Rosario explains: "I have a son, he's younger than you." "He's lucky to have a mom - mine is dead," says Pablito around a big mouthful of pancake.

    Pablito accidentally bumps into Moustache, poor Moustache was just having a riotously happy time throwing darts and now Pablito wrecks his throw. So naturally Moustache makes with a fist to pound the lad - luckily Franco appears and pounds Moustache.

  • Can't Juan button his shirt even to go to church? He and Sofia kneel at the altar and improvise their own whispered wedding ceremony. They cross themselves, no kiss.

  • At the Bad Love Bar, Rosario has a new, even skimpier outfit. Furd says "I saw you hitting Franco, good girl, now we can celebrate the fact you have respected my orders." "Where's my son," Rosario starts up. He laughs, sends the dresser out of the room, and says "You deserve a prize, so I'll have your son brought in tomorrow." Then he starts trying to rape her and we don't know if succeeds.

  • Father Bouffy thanks Juan and Sofia for being willing to help out on "Their Day." They work at the free food distribution booth. The other Reyes show up, and Pablito and his grandmother and all are in high spirits.

    Franco runs over to see Sarita and asks why she's mad, she says she saw him with Rosario. He's such a jerk! His comeback: "(a) I never promised you anything; (b) I know you love me, I see it in your eyes, don't be weird." He grabs her and kisses her ugly. [Blegh I would not put up with these awful kisses of Franco's.] She melts for a minute then slaps him.

    Tweedle comes up, Franco hits him. You brute! Calling to the crowd in general, Sarita announces: "That guy beat up my fiance whom I'm going to MARRY VERY SOON!"

    The fake police arrive, nothing much happens, there is a folklorico dance and fireworks including THANK YOU VIRGIN MARY light up the sky.

  • Furd threatens Dr. Matasano (how I LOVE this word) at his crooked asylum. "Furd, I swear we looked for the old dude everywhere!" "Don't joke with me, find Gramps or else!!"

  • We know where Gramps is. Pablito is dancing for Gramps by the Libia cave shrine. He gives Gramps some bread. Gramps chews thoughtfully: "I recognize the sweaty, chest-hair-infested, unsanitary taste of this loaf. Juan Reyes made it." "Oh, I know the Reyes brothers!" "You know them too? Great, they can help me! Go get them, but don't tell anybody else I'm here!"

    Pablito runs off to the bakery, no Reyes boys there, he can't tell Quintana, he runs off, having broken the Libia Sacred Picture Frame.

  • Juan visits Sofia in the convent, he couldn't go to work without seeing her, "If your hubby will not let you go I'll rob you away." Sofia is hopeful about the letter from the ecclesiastic authorities annulling her marriage and makes the fatal mistake of saying, "The letter will come and then we'll be happy, I swear." Kisses.

    Well naturally, the letter comes and turns down Tadeo's request. Sofia cries. "All my hopes hung on this annulment - I swore to Juan we'd be happy." Tadeo: "Sofia, I promise, I'll get proofs for those old fogies so you can be free." "Thanks, but I don't have the strength to wait for them. I won't give up Juan."

  • Furd has one of his most wonderfully revolting scenes as he tries to first wheedle and then strongarm Sofia into coming home from the convent. He sinks to his knees saying, "Look, I'm begging you on my knees, give me another chance." When she says no he gets ugly.

    He tells her Gramps has disappeared and she has to come home to help search. This gets her panicked and she is going to leave except the Mother Superior says: "You can't leave without Father Bouffy's permission."

    Furd gets impatient and shakes Sofia; she snaps out of it and realizes she doesn't want to go anywhere with him. He grabs her and is going to drag her home anyway but a doughty army of little nuns in white block the way. He decides he can't knock all of them over so he leaves and complains to Moustache.

  • A pointless scene: Gabriela yells at the Reyes brothers, the cabana is still not finished, they're always late to work, Juan is a bit insolent with her. Eva: "Can't you thank him for saving Sofia?" "Sofia got what she deserved." Juan: "Too bad you can't love your daughters." "What do you know, you are a simple laborer." "I am a laborer, but I labor with love, so nya nya. You old poor-people-hating puritan, let me work."

  • Father Tadeo prays: "Father, I can't break my sacraments, but Sofia's life is in danger." He sits down to write. Oscar busts in and asks for a list of addresses for all the local asylii, or let's just say old folks' homes. He wants to find and spring Gramps.

  • Furd complains to Moustache: "Everybody is against me, and I need Gramps' signature or I can't get any money, I need his money, and as for Sofia, I'll force her to come back and she'll pay for all the wrongs she's committed against me - I'll use Gabi to do it." Moustache complains, he doesn't want to be sent to fetch Rosario's son yet again. Furd hits him. "Hey, I'm not your enemy, the Reyes are, we should kill them." "Yes, we'll kill them all at once in one trap."

  • Sarita, who really needs something to do, is reading poetry in the garden and throws the book down when she sees the name Rosario. Franco sneaks up and gives her some more bully's kisses, saying he knows she loves her. I would find this a particularly annoying combination. "Go away, leave me alone, be happy with that Rosario of yours. You're just jealous of me and Bonito."

  • Juan and Eva worry about gossip, but he says he can't sacrifice his love for Sofia and cruelly parries: "Eva, surely you don't want her to end up like you, do you? Abandoned, alone and sad?" He restates his plan to steal Sofia.

    Furd arrives with a stick or whip or something in his hand. "Don't get between me and my woman." "Don't mistreat her." "I don't mistreat her."


Tomorrow: Juan asks Sofia to run away with him. Gramps, sleeping, is threatened by a large very slow-moving snake! Franco sees Rosario with her son and figures out that's her secret! Sarita writes: "Goodbye forever, Franco!" Wow, if that isn't enough to keep you glued to your screen I don't know what is!

Labels:


Comments:
A great recap, Melinama. Thanks!!!
Gramps chews thoughtfully: "I recognize the sweaty, chest-hair-infested, unsanitary taste of this loaf. Juan Reyes made it." I laughed so hard at this, my hubby had to come in and see what all the racket was about.

I suppose Fr. Bouffy is short for Fr. Bouffant? (more roflol) Spot on!

doris
 

Hee Hee, Melinama!! Great recap! Didn't get to see the show tonight but could imagine everything as you described it!!!

Hopefully Gramps will be found and saved from the snake! It does look like Father Bouffy may not be around much longer if he's not careful!

I will definitely see Friday's show to see if I have missed anything important....
 

Melinama, thanks for the recap. It is succinct and snarky, just the combination we love. A great balancing act.

Franco is being pretty annoying to these two women without looking like his kisses are so wonderful that they will think he is worth it. Juan definitely gets the good kissing award and his sincere love looks in the church and in the convent are just the best.

My real favorite thing was the fireworks which I love most of all. My next favorite thing is probably sweet Pablito, the kid is actually doing a great, convincing job of acting. The snake is also pretty convincing though not so sweet. Somebody better gets there before the snake crawls up the slick steel side of the wheelchair.
 

Great recap. So Franco now thinks that Rosario has a son with Armando.
 

Melinama, thanks for the funny lines especially the one about the distinctive tasting Reyes pan.

This episode had some sweet moments ,,, the Reyes boys helping out poor Pablito and some more lovey dovey scenes between Juan and Sofia.

I guess the party for Juan and Sofia coincided with a religious carnival because I don't think the Reyes brothers pay Quintina enough to put on a fireworks show.

I hope Gramps is saved from the snake and any impending cold and storms and sleeping upright in a chair so he can return to torturing Gabriela and Feo.

Yes Cheryl, Franco certainly is the world's worst kissser. He's a face grinder. He needs some finesse lessons from Juan.

The funniest scene was the ending promo where Franco sees Armando, Luis and Rosario together and thinks Armando is Luis' father. I would want to keep that a big secret too.

G in CA
 

Love how you called the tall Uribe "Bonito" -- that's a good nickname for him. I was impressed by how he jumped in to fend Franco away from Sarita at the fair -- didn't think he would ever want to get down & dirty. But he has good manners.

Grandpa was eating some cold tamales, the cheap kind with more leaves than tamal, and more masa than meat or vegs. Cold, that's why crackly. (Poor Abue is really hard up -- had to eat the Icky buns later on in program.)

If you get a chance to play those games at a Mexican street fair/carnival -- Do it! Everyone wins a prize, and many kids win bigger prizes than the dino bank. Actually banks made from plaster (like the dino) are common prizes, one can win lots of them if one plays several games.

Thank you for good recap! Only a couple of tired typos, but hey, let he who has typed without typos who has typed with typos (or something like that...)
 

Franco is not the worst kisser. Rubberlips, of Barrera, was the worst kisser. I had to look away. I hope his leading lady was paid double.
 

Thanks again for another funny recap. My routine with this show is to watch the beginning so I can see the overlap from Guapos, then I watch 10 or 15 minutes more before I have to give up before I lose more brain cells. The show is so slow moving that's all you need, esp. with recaps.
 

shout out to Cheryl: In case you haven't been watching Guapos, we need you to pose Willa with a Carlitos cap in honor of the new Dachshund character.
 

Nothing could induce me to watch this show but I'm addicted to the recaps.

The bakery theme brings out the best in you. Thanks Melinama.
 

OK, I actually made it through the entire episode last night but I had my daughter with me & we laughed the whole time. Here's a few of our highlights:

1) the police at the fair were recognizable by the badges hanging from their sombreros...quite the fashion statement

2) Juan's mysterious wounds that appear & disappear. Sling at the fair, no sling at the cabana construction site. Band aid over bullet wound? Oops...slap it on real quick...we forgot it in the last scene.

3) the Disney effects with twinkly lights and Tinkerbell sounds when Pablito & Juan are at the fair...and why????? Must be the magic of the moment.

4) yuck at the kissing scenes with Prickly Franco but the worst was in the garden when he was still in his do-rag & sweaty, stained clothes. Oh yeah, I'm hot for you now!

This show is better when you have someone to laugh with.

:-)
 

missed up til Franco punched Armandostach. So padre sealed his fate, sounds like, I hope that he gets off another letter to the eclesiastical superiors and makes notes about Sofia's rapist, etc, before Feo whacks him. Armandbigote was really giving Feo the evil eye, not a lotta love there, seems like he's a bit of a punching bag here. He's already been smacked by Juan, Frankie, Feo, who's next, Sofia? What's this, they need a signature from Gramps for pesos? The old soldier has money thatthey need for running the hacienda? Que the heck? I've been wondering about whether a "Hacienda San augustin"/ Augustin connection exists, whether the old soldier had more to do with the place than has been revaeled so far..Yes, Frankie is truly the worst kisser, ever, he's even worse here than when he was slobbering all over Flor de la cueva (Ludwika)in that other forgetable TN
 

Fun recap Melinama. As usual, so many questions for inquiring/confused minds:

Where are the real police. Why are there fake police? Weren't they going to 'jail' for fighting?

Who's paying for this fiesta? I suppose the religious festival coincidence is a good one, since they had one day to prepare. That little pueblo sure must have a good tax base to put on a show like that.

Does Juan know what tact is? Saying to Eva that she doesn't want Sofie to end up like Eva--Ouch!

Never mind, I forgot to suspend disbelief for this show.

I've noticed that they are always swearing (le juro) that they'll do something that is beyond their control. More good tv drama.

Pablito is my favorite, a real scene stealer. He's got to save gramps from the snakes. The big one and the little one...
jb
 

Apologies, Melinama, for neglecting to thank you for yet another hilarious recap. A thousand kisses from Franco for my punishment.
 

Hey DoradoDave!

Grandpa Agustin was the previous owner of the hacienda (it's in the "cast of characters" that got posted here before the series began). He must have turned it over to Gabriela (perhaps not entirely voluntarily) at some point - perhaps after he had his accident and/or when his wife died/got killed.
 

Thanks, Melinama - I should have watched the basketball game instead of this, but I couldn't change the channel. Sometimes it's like watching an accident, but other times it's like watching a lava lamp.

I thought the worst kisser of all time was Frankie the Grifter from Destilando Amor - someone compared him to a lamprey. But I never saw Rubberlips in Barrera, so I have to accept that there are kisses even worse than I can imagine.

I'm not so worried about Grandpa and the snake. If anyone can charm a hungry python (or whatever it is), it's him.
 

thanks, Julie , for the clarification. Seems that Crabi may not really own the place, afterall. do I see a powerplay coming? Wouldn't it be cool if she got thrown out on her oreja? with the ratbastard Feo. Now that would be an ironic twist, after what she's done the Augustin. And, thanks, too, to Melinama, for the great recap. Off to the salt mine for me
 

I was waiting for the badge to fly off and hit Big Tweedle in the face! It was just too funny!
 

I have a suggestion to improve Franco's kissing. If you watched Cristina, you know that Colunga, in addition to being TBLMOE, is also a champion kisser. I think he needs to do a guest appearance on Fuego to give kissing lessons.

Yeah, that's the reason. Kissing lessons. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
 

Now Pa.aau.laaah...
%-}
 

Paula: Yes, Fernando TBLMOE is desperately needed here, for kissing lessons, for dressing tips (really...can anyone else do the unbuttoned shirt better??), for dialogue coaching, for soulful eyes/dimpled cheek lessons...OMG...where is The Real Fernando when we need him???

I'm melting..................
 

Who is "rubber lips" from Barrera? Is that the guy who looked like "Shrek"? He was the worst galan that I ever saw in any of the novelas.

Also, why are they calling Rosario's son Luisito now, and they were calling him Andres in the beginning? Did they think we would forget? Or did I imagine the whole thing? No wonder the kid is confused.
 

Thank you, Melinama, for yet another great recap. Your recaps and impressions always put a smile on my face. I liked this episode. The scene of Juan and Sofia having the do-it-yourself wedding ceremony in the church reminded me of a similar scene in Alborada where Luis takes the already married Hippolita to the house he intends to set her and his son up in. During the house tour [''Let me show you the bedrooms, Mi Vida.''], they kneel in front of a massive crucifix and Luis conducts his own marriage ceremony....then , he shows her the big bedroom and tells her that it's hers...and then....they seal the deal on the floor NEXT TO the big bed...que the hell ?? I also loved the scene of Juan taking Pablito under has big, wounded wing and going on the rides with him and helping him win the games. Pablito is a little charmer..this kid can act. I can never resist a man who loves kids. I also enjoyed the nuns standing up to Ferd. Best of all was the end where Juan and Ferd square off. Ferd, Honey, you might as well just give up now, Juan has you beaten on all counts. In short, this was a good episode for me...however, it would have been nice to have Juan back in the shower. Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
 

Hey Linda -

"Andres" is what it said in the captions when he visited Rosario the first time, and she was sort of crying and I couldn't hear her clearly. So "Andres" was what I went with for the recap.

Looks like either the caption was wrong (EXTREMELY likely), or he already has an alias at this tender young age.

I think it's safe to call him Luis. Sorry for the confusion!
 

Thanks Melinama for your amazing ability to recap in a way that gives the impression you tune in to each and every episode. That takes talent if you're asking me. It just dawned on me the reason I get so uptight when I tune in to the comments and see a whole bunch of gripes and negativity under the disguise of mockery. It's because I love the idea of having these novelas recapped so much until I'm afraid that someday as blog mom you might decide that it's not worth it and put an end to this wonderful blog. Afterall, if you google for novelas with english recaps there aren't any others. I'd like to know if all the negativity and lack of appreciation for this novela is going to have any affect on how long something like this is available. I sure hope not. Now, I just had to get that off my chest.
 

Anybody know what "remosca" means? I can't find a definition.
 

Julie, I couldn't find the word in my dictionary or translater either. So I googled it and got this from a site that advertises motor homes: They sell an electric cooker which looks like a saucepan with a lid called a "Remosca" in 2 sizes. There was another site that was in Spanish that I couldn't read well, but the first likes said: "Si la vaca remosca, la cría no mama. ¿Quién conoce este dicho y qué significa?"
 

LOL - that's exactly what I found - the electric cooker and the (unanswered) cow dicho translation request!

I was looking for the word because it's supposed to be part of the pun for Mariachi's name (the dog).

Ah well. I'm sure a definition will turn up... months from now... :-)
 

...going by the root, it might have something to do with flies.
 

On second thought, maybe it's just "mosca" (fly). Mosca/musica. Not sure what that has has to do with the dog, unless he's attracting flies, but I think that's it.
 

Hiya, this is what came up when I googled "remosca"

"Si la vaca remosca, la cría no mama." = This is a Mexican phrase and loosly translated it means: If the cow moves around like a fly the calf can't suckle. My wife tells me it's an expression used when someone won't sit still."
 

Thanks for the recap, Melinama, especially the accurate description of the bread.
My favorite couple so far? Gramps and Pablito. Pablito and Juan were a couple of cuties at the carnival.
La Paloma
 

Thanks! So maybe "remosca" means "fly-like" or "fidgety." Mariachi the dog is fidgety.

(Much more satisfactory than "covered with flies," which was my first guess.)

Now I understand why Juan grimaced when the boy explained the pun. :-)
 

Hey NinaK, Willa and I will try to catch Guapos so we can check out the dachshund. Is he wearing a hat?

JB, You are right there is more than one snake for Abuelito to have to fend off. I have a lot of faith in Pedrito though that he will save a lot of folks, hopefully not just Abuelito but also little Luisito.

DDave, my memory on the hacienda business is that it was Augustin's, hence the name and Gabi is the heiress by stealth since they have said she was responsible for her mother's death and her father's paralysis in some accident she caused them.
But further, when Feo got temporary signature authority over the hacienda monies way back (I think right after Bernardo died) and began paying his gambling habit and debt with it, he pulled some trick on Gabi and she has signed some piece of paper that perhaps makes a permanent change that she intended to be for a few months. Abuelo must still have some power with his name on some other property or money that Feo hasn't been able to tap into yet. He does have some fierce habits to feed though.
 

Cheryl...Lagrimita (actually a male dachshund) as several bloggers pointed out, may not make another appearance. But he was wearing a red ball cap (like a baseball cap) so that's what you've got to go for with Ms Willa...if she'll put up with it!
 

Melinama, thanks for the recap.
Yep, Sarita's write off of Franco is such compelling viewing. ;)

Pablito has won my heart. I'm thinking li'l Mariachi will kill the bad snake, or alert Pablito to its presence. What a super duo!

Franco's kissing looks to be an improvement over the guy (can't think of the character's name) Pablo M. played in Duelo. I believe some of you referred to that as the open mouthed bass kiss.
LOL. Eewww.

Regardless of the inanity of this show, Oscar has a great smile and dimples. That's worth a least a peek tonight.
 

Open mouthed bass kiss, too funny.

G in CA
 

Andres is the child's given name . Luis is what he goes by in the Witch's Protection Program.
 

remoscar · ponerse a la sombra para defenderse de las moscas

Also move back and forth.


I think you were right on with "fidget".
 

OMG, I finally watched my tape of this episode. I thought Franco was going to eat Sarita's face right off her head. No wonder she had to wipe her face with the back of her hand. Maybe he did it as a joke?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder