Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Juan Tues. June 3 '08 Paula Bares Her Heart...And A Great Deal More

Alternate Title: "Be Careful What You Want, You May Get It!"

¡Dios mio! There was a lot of drama tonight and a lot of cleavage to go with it.

Here's how things shook out....so to speak.

Brief rehash of "Sandro" lamenting to real Sandro that his plan to win Paula isn't working; Juan ended up garnering her praise and admiration, not he.

And Juan blindsides poor lambypie Marely by saying he needs her at his side, the sun will cease to shine in the house if she leaves, he can't live without her, it breaks his heart to see her go and so on.

Is this a "broma de mala gusta" (bad joke) snaps Marely. Don't you have enough women...and prettier, more famous and richer than I?

Prettier, no! answers Juan, and besides, not one of them is my "official novia". And goes on to say how generous, how noble she is, the pillar of the family...the ideal woman, always ready to help. And Juanito will cry for a whole year if she goes to Spain!

What about Paula? asks Marely.

And wouldn't you know, the scene changes. We're back with "Sandro" and he's decided to take a new tack with Paula. He's groveling. He wants to talk. He feels like an idiot after this morning. She wants to go to bed early. He won't take much of her time. He could even come to the house. As he says to his doubting twin, the role of victim is my only weapon now.

And now a weird segue to the movie theatre where Herbierto is shrieking with each gunshot, spilling popcorn all over and finally wrapping himself around a bemused Gaytan, who spoon feeds the remaining kernels of popcorn into Herbierto's huge maw.

Back to Marely and Juan (this is like watching an automobile accident...it's horrible but you can't look away)

How long will this sudden love last? she asks. Five minutes, six months, a lifetime? Juan launches into an explanation that he was in love with two women when he came to Mexico City. And he had dreams of Marely as his companion, the mother of his children, someone to grow old with.

And then Paula arrived, and the dream vanished, Marely adds.

Yes, but what if Paula is the illusion and you are my reality, my destiny? Juan protests. Ay yi yi, my head is spinning and so is Marely's.

Quick switch to an equally uncomfortable tête à tète between Paula and "Sandro". He's whining that he took the job for her. He didn't need the paltry salary (yes, I know, you inherited a fortune, she snaps) but he was attracted to her.

Paula looks bored and uneasy but "Sandro" soldiers on. I wanted to show you I was worth something, I wanted the applause and admiration that Juan got this morning.

It's not a contest, replies Paula. Yes, it is! snaps "Sandro" losing his temper and being very Cesar Luis in spite of himself. I sense that you're not indifferent to me, he continues. You're attractive, she concedes,( not looking attracted at all.) I'm tired of solitude...I've found the ideal woman, he continues, really laying it on thick and getting nowhere.

And we're back with Marely and Juan while he tries to explain why he and Paula are a non-issue. We've hurt each other so much and ended up with nothing. But why now? adds Marely when I'm on the verge of leaving for Spain.

Because I'm an idiot, replies Juan (we'll agree on that point) and because, as the song says, "you don't know what you have until you lose it". He advises Marely to "consultar plumas de ganso" (which is like saying "consultar la almohada"...in other words to "sleep on it".

More discomfort...we really get to see Cesar Luis twisting in the wind. Paula insists on telling him how great it was with Juan and how she can't forget his caresses even as she tries to remake her life. CL looks like he's swallowed bile and them some. The humiliation is piling on and there's more to come, folks.

Marely now walks in on Yadira who is crying piteously and for a moment we think she's regretting her decision to divorce...but no, she's weeping over a telenovela and only reluctantly turns it off because little sis needs to talk to her.

Juan asked me to be his "novia" Marely says. And honestly, I don't know if "novia" in this context means "official girlfriend", "fiancée, bride or what. Take your pick.

Marely explains her doubts. Is Juan doing this just to get over Paula? Is it real love...the forever kind? Oooh, you want security, commitment, eternal love, laughs Yadira. That doesn't exist. Those are just pretty words.

Marely admits she doesn't know what to do. She's dreamed of this so often and now... What would you do in my place, she asks. Yadira doesn't hesitate...I'd stay with Juan. And lose the scholarship? Well, what do you want? A little adventure in Spain or someone to warm your feet for years to come?

Break to Juan, telling Juanito to hop into his pajamas. Earlier he told Juanito about Marely's decision to go to Spain and the little bugger won't let up on Dad. Well are you going to let her go!? Juan concedes he asked her to be his "novia" and Juanito is pleased. They both look at each other, hands on hips. These mirror scenes with these two are really cute. I'll miss those.

We have a brief skirmish with Yadira and Kike. She yells "Where were you!?". He reminds her that they decided to treat each other with respect. She tones it down and tells him they have a date with her lawyer tomorrow. Have your lawyer talk to my lawyer, he replies.

Now the inevitable scene with Nidia and Marely. Mom admits she just happened to overhear the news about Spain. Because she had her "oreja pegada a la puerta" (ear pressed to the door). And she's ready for a real tear-jerking scene a la Libertad Lamarque (Argentine actress who was known as "the novia de America" and appeared in 65 Mexican films).

She tells Marely it hurts to see her go. Who'll keep Nidia in line? Who'll make her recite her "our Fathers" and "Ave Marias" when she needs to? But in a surprising turn, she adds, don't take anyone else into consideration...think of yourself and what you want. It would be great for you to travel, know the world a little, grow up, develop as a person.

But why so sad? Does getting your dream lead to depression? Nidia adds. Juan asked me to be his "novia" explains Marely. And we break with Nidia looking muy muy muy impactada.

When we come back, we have a repetitive scene with Ana and Paula. We've seen this one a gazillion times. Ana is saying, get rid of that "Sandro" (Cesar Luis insert here). Juan is your true love. No, I don't interest him anymore. It's too late. Resign yourself, mom, as I have.

The mother daughter discussion continues...but with Nidia and Marely. Nidia is musing on her life, messing around "sin ton ni son" (without rhyme or reason) looking for love and ending with nothing. She wants better for Marely.

Marely, of course, protests that Nidia's life was meaningful and every good thing about Marely comes from her. Follow your dream, insists Nidia, don't sacrifice because you'll pay for it.

But what if my dream is Juan? Well, welcome to the club! laughs Nidia. But I'm not sure, adds Marely. No way to be sure, other than to dig a hole and jump in, confides Mama.

Now we're at the office. Paula notices that Marely looks exhausted and assumes her sleepless night is due to thoughts of the trip and changes to come. Marely confides that her mom already knows and is encouraging her to go. Paula laughs and says, "For the first time in my life, I'm in agreement with Nidia Cachon!"

Well, I don't know if I should tell you, hesitates Marely, but Juan last night asked me to be his "novia".

Paula goes ballistic. No no no! You've never been more than a friend! This is just Juan's selfish way of trying to keep you around. He'll say anything. He's a liar. You supported him, you were a confidante, but that's all it is!

Mercifully, we get a break from all this shrieking. The scenes switches to a pensive Juan and Kike at the breakfast table. Kike is all about what a great idea it is for Juan to hook up with Marely. She's the perfect woman, meant for you, great for settling down with ("sentar cabeza"). Ya think so, says Juan hopefully.

Shriekfest at office continues. Paula is downright insulting, refusing to believe Juan could actually love Marely and so our little rose garden unloads all the lovely things Juan said about settling down, having a family, she's his happiness, his mood brightener, his reality, his destiny...rather than the illusion of Paula.

So what did you say? Paula finally asks. Nothing, Marely answers...and he's waiting for a reply. Do you love him? From the very first moment. I hid it. I tried to forget him with Fernando and with...she trails off. But he never left my heart. You don't know how I've suffered. I felt such jealousy...all those women! (half-sister Paula among them), but finally HE LOVES ME! Marely concludes.

Well, will you work out as a couple? Paula queries. (I'm pretty sure she means Will you be compatible in bed...like she and Juan surely were!) And Marely admits she's scared about that. What if it falls short, what is the relationship is unreachable, only in my imagination. Should I accept? she adds.

Paula slips out of answering by reminding Marely that she's much more sensible than herself. She's made such a mess of things. She's sure Marely will make the best decision.

And when Marely leaves for the embassy Paula wails (and I do mean wails!). WHY HER!!?? WHY JUAN...WHY HER!!!???

Cosy little scene with Pastor playing nursemaid to a feverish Angarita and Angarita not liking it one bit. We're not kids, Gaytan remonstrates, you've got to take care of yourself. No hanging around Casa Cachon, no going to work.

And speaking of no going to work, Alirio is sacked out and snoring on the bed after being out all night boozing it up with Gutis. Compassionate Nidia wakes him up by clanging two frying pans together and telling him to take a shower, wash off the stink of cigarettes and look for real work!

Juan in the meantime is looking for something special to bring to Marely. Flowers? No, too humdrum. A ring? Whoops, no, that has never worked well for him. A stuffed animal? Grow up Juan! Chocolates? she may be on a diet. CD's...boleros by Lucha Villa? (most famous singer of "rancheras", born 1936 in Mexico).

He waltzes into the office with a blue bag, but we don't know what's in it. Notices Marely's empty desk. Has he lost? Has she gone off to Spain? Instructs Ivonne to have a chauffeur take Hillary's car back to her.

Brief scene with Marely at the embassy, wondering about all the papers she has to have for a whole year's stay, and the official reminds her that she must notify them if she wants to come back to Mexico at any time. She leaves and he looks with great interest at her backside.

Paula in the meantime is in full meltdown. And though I haven't mentioned it before, she's in a lavendar wraparound dress that didn't quite make it around her assets. We're seeing a whole lot of Paula and have to give the plastic surgeon credit...he did a great job.

She's crying, she can't go on, she can't breathe, she's dying. Ivonne enters and is understandably sympathetic. A well endowed woman herself, she leans over to comfort Paula and the phrase "bosom buddies" comes to mind.

And now, further humiliation for faux Sandro, real Cesar Luis. Laura is futzing in his office, worried that Pastor will find out she's working for him. So what? Pastor is not more important than I am. Well, I'm really worried about upsetting Juan. Oh, you've fallen under his spell? Oh yes...I would really love to get something going with him, Laura assures him. CL looks like he's swallowing bile again.

Back to Paula, tears (and a few other things) spilling over. Hillary...I was jealous...but I could handle it. Laura with her cheap coquetry..I was jealous, but I could handle it. But Juan asking Marely to be his "novia". No no no...the man I adore, the man I dreamed of, the man I waited for, the man I learned to treasure TOO LATE!!!!....and on that shriek we end this evening's episode. ¡Dios mio!


Vocabulary:

consultar con plumas de ganso, consultar la almohada (pillow) sleep on it

sin ton ni son without rhyme or reason

despabiladar wake up, get with it, get act together

sentar cabeza settle down

lleva la papa a la casa bring home the bacon

la nave (lit. ship) car

ni falta que hace no matter

tracala trick, swindle

dar tirria a alguien have a grudge with someone

albur a chance, a risk (can also mean play on words, pun)

Labels:


Comments:
Good Morning,JudyB..Thank you for your great recap from last night..

The chances of Marely & Juan becoming novios is slim to none,I hope..Juan,as usual, is totally in a state of denial and confusion.I was liking the fact that Marely was moving on to make a life away from the cowboy (Juan) with the big belt buckle,pea brain,hair extensions,and probably not much below the big belt buckle..I can't wait until this show comes to an end..Have a great day,mi amigas y amigo..
 

Good Morning Export Red!...and yes, I agree...little chance of things working out between Marely and Juan. That's why I was tearing my hair out last night. She didn't need that extra stress and confusion now that she has a chance to leave her very "enmeshed" family and strike out on her own for a while.

I went off to Switzerland at the tender age of 19 to study abroad, in part because of a broken heart, and it was the best thing I ever did.

Being on your own (and without a clue in my case) really helps you develop strengths and confidence you never knew.
 

Hey thanks for the great recap as usual I only catch like three minutes at the end. It is always the same three minutes. Good twin looks thoughtfully at the full, evil twin CL does his best DR Evil. Kike & Yadira argue. Then there is Paula, oh gods on Mt. Olympus what have I done to deserve this? I feel like the guy who was chained to the mountain and an eagle pecked at his liver each day which regrew every night. Each day that whining eagle Paula pecks at my last nerve.
 

Good to hear from you Beckster. Yes, Paula's voice is a cross between chalk on blackboard and a buzzsaw but ya' know...I don't think men ever hear her voice. That chest of hers probably shuts off every male brain stem within 20kilometers.
 

Paula is an idiot, Juan is an idiot, and Marely would be an idiot if she stayed,and we know that she will. As much as i historically wanted them (M&J) to be together, not like this, not him keeping her from bettering herself thru education and experience. In a reasonable world, they would figure out that she would go to Spain, Juan, with his pesos, could visit her there, and when done she could return to Mexico, and they could continue their lives together. Not in TNland, tho. Where, oh where is it going to end? I almost feel like going to the Mexican webiste, and read their recaps, to put myself out of the misery of having to watch the wreck-of-the-train-whose-wheels-have-come-off. But that would make too much sense, too. Thanks for the recap, Judyb, how do you do it so quickly?
 

Oh- one side comment- at the age of 22, I was in a "similar" spot as Marely is. The Peace Corps offered me a job, and I vacillated back and forth, but could not come up with a real reason to not go. If there had been a lady in my life, likely I wolud not have gone. The non-existant relationship probably wouldn't have lasted (judging by my history in that realm), and I would have missed out on the best thing that I have done in my life. So- GO TO SPAIN, MARELY! (I'll meet you for tapas)
 

Hey Dorado Dave...where did you go with the Peace Corps? I was accepted also (at the "tender age"of 23) and would have gone to teach English in Burma.

Instead I accepted an offer to work for a programming company that I thought would take me back to Switzerland. Instead I ended up in Vienna, Austria (which seemed a lot like Indianapolis where I was from) only in German.

Eventually though, with the savings from that job I was able to go live in Paris and study at the Sorbonne. Good times many decades ago!
 

JudyB- went to the mountains of Nicaragua, 1976-77. Haven't been back, but hope to with one of my P.C. buddies later this year. I know that it's changed a lot, but I'm sure that it's still pretty-much wild west. It always will be that way in my memories. Very good times, especially in those memories
 

Wow..I guess that would help a lot with your Spanish, verdad? I think most of us have wonderful memories of our early 20's. Hope so anyway.
 

yes, that's where I learned spanish, I would go a couple of weeks at a time w/o speaking english. I watch the TNs , not just for the e ntertainment, (now Univision is the only station that my tv is picking up), but I mainly started years ago, to keep a regular dose of spanish to keep from getting unusably rusty. It helps a lot, as my hearing and comprehension are not as good as my ability to speak,which is kinda wierd.
 

Ha ha! This recap was especially funny Judy B. You really let everyone have it. Excellent vocabulary words too. I commented on Cheryl's recap that we have just over 700 entries on the vocab/refrane list!

I think it's very interesting that you and Dorado Dave mentioned taking journeys that helped you find yourselves. In many ways I see Juan as the archetypal hero who is on his own journey. He fits almost all the characteristics of the archetypal hero. However recently he seems to be going round and round instead of moving forward and learning from his past. I agree that ultimately he will admit that Paula is is true love, and Marely will be kicking air instead of a football. She needs to go on her own journey.

Thanks JudyB!!
 

Thanks Sylvia. Yes, Juan has been on quite a journey, but in this last episode he was really circling the drain.

Run Marely run!
 

JudyB, thanks for the terrific recap and wonderful asides! I’m so glad to have the vocab, too, especially “sentar cabeza” which I would have had to hunt for hours to find.

“And now a weird segue to the movie theatre” LOL! Yep, that was one of the weirder Juan scenes we’ve had. Pastor got something he wanted, though.

“Yes, but what if Paula is the illusion and you are my reality, my destiny? Juan protests. Ay yi yi, my head is spinning and so is Marely's.” Well-said. She needs to run as fast as she can for the airport.

“we really get to see Cesar Luis twisting in the wind. Paula insists on telling him how great it was with Juan and how she can't forget his caresses even as she tries to remake her life. CL looks like he's swallowed bile and them some. The humiliation is piling on and there's more to come, folks.” LOL! Don’t we hope so?!! I really want to see this villain get more than a taste of what he’s done.

“a la Libertad Lamarque (Argentine actress who was known as "the novia de America" and appeared in 65 Mexican films).” Thanks for clearing that up. I figured this was some movie star of this sort.

“We've seen this one a gazillion times. Ana is saying, get rid of that "Sandro" (Cesar Luis insert here).” LOL! Yep, we’ve seen it. And nothing ever happens.

“You don't know how I've suffered. I felt such jealousy...all those women! (half-sister Paula among them), but finally HE LOVES ME! Marely concludes.” I wondered if our little darling was finally feeling a moment of triumph—if she wasn’t, she should be. At Paula’s expense, in my opinion.

“Compassionate Nidia wakes him up by clanging two frying pans together” I roared when I saw this coming—nearly fell out of my chair. This is what teachers of the deaf used to joke about doing with their newborns to make sure they could hear—tongue-in-cheek, of course. And it was before modern technologies to test infant hearing. It took me back 35 years to the beginning of my career.

“she's in a lavendar wraparound dress that didn't quite make it around her assets.” ROTFLLL!!!!

Jeanne
 

Yes, Jeanne...I thought the same thing...Marely had to be savouring that moment of triumph....she's had so many painful moments of listening to Paula's conquests.

Take that big sister!
 

Judy, hysterical recap with the shrieking sessions and all. I had very intermittent reception and at all the pivotal points the station would pixellate and go blank, so I appreciate your detail of the dialog as well. Right when Mar was asking Juan why now? Ugh!!! thank heavens for you all.

Libertad Lamarque is a doll, and not only was famous in movies, but late in life also in telenovelas. I was privileged to see her in La Usurpadora and Carita de Angel, during the filming of which she passed away from a heart attack. It was very sad and they had to write her passing into the script. She was a fantastic old broad, if I may say so.
 

Wow. Love the "fantastic old broad" comment...hope to be one some day.

I understand she also had some trouble in her home country, Argentina. Eva Peron didn't like her so her movies didn't get shown there. Argentine's loss was Mexico's gain since she decided to settle in that country and do a ton of work.

Someday I'll have to manage to look at some of those old telenovelas...I'm a very recent comer to the scene.
 

HEY folks be sure to tune in for tonight's recap as there will be a special surprise posted!!!! ;0)
 

Gracias, JudyB!
 

Okay Fuego..I'm gonna be first in line tomorrow morning (6:30 am if not earlier!) to read your recap so looking forward to the surprise.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder