Thursday, June 19, 2008

La Traición, Mon. 6/18 - If you can't recognize the twin you love, make love with the twin you're with

Margot gets the judge drunk

Boris and Ursula are caught


Arturo checks out the Judge's boots


Alcides, pretending to be Hugo, profits from Soledad's stupidity


Soledad and Hugo-
Hugo holds out the ring.
S: Why do you have it? I thought I lost it.
H: You didn’t lose it. I took it when I kissed your hand just before leaving the mine.
Soledad takes the ring and flashes back to when it happened.
S: Why Hugo? Why?
H: Because my heart took over my reason. I didn’t want you to leave with the ring that represents our separation.
S: No, that’s not what I mean. What happened to us? Why your revenge? We could have been so happy. I wish I could forgive you. I don’t know how to make you believe it.
Hugo kisses her.

Things are hoppin’ at the cabaret. Paquito is running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Eloisa tells him not to be so paranoid. She won’t tell anyone that his pianist is ‘that old woman Antonia.’ Paquito says that’s not what he’s concerned about. He has to keep an eye on his girls so that none of them end up dead. Eloisa asks if he thinks that the attack was directed at him personally. Paquito says that he doesn’t know. Eloisa points out that the Judge is in attendance. He is sitting with Margot. Paquito hopes that the Judge has come to amuse himself and not because he has any suspicions about Déborah.

Margot plies the Judge with drink and sticks her boobs in his face. To herself, Margot says that she hopes things work out. She doesn’t want to get arrested on Arturo’s account.

Alcides comes to visit Arturo. Arturo asks what the hell he is doing there. Alcides says that he came to warn Arturo to prepare himself. He won’t escape from this one. Arturo again protests that he is innocent of the kidnapping. He says that he thinks Alcides did it and is trying to put the blame on him. Alicides snags Arturo around the neck with his cane and holds him, “Find yourself a good lawyer to represent you. A lawyer of my caliber. Because I am going to destroy you (‘aplastarte’) in court.” Arturo tells Alcides to let him go. “I warned you about coming near my people, imbecile,” says Alcides, “I warned you. Now you will pay the consequences.” Arturo responds that it will take more than Alcides and 20 lawyers to take him on. He says that he will be out tomorrow. “We’ll see about that (‘Eso está por verse’),” says Alcides.

Hugo and Soledad kiss.
H: You’re free to wear that engagement ring from von Chirac if you want to.
S: I don’t know what I want anymore. I just found out that Daniel is married. Yes, he too betrayed me.
H: So it’s true.
S: You knew?
H: My brother Alcides told me.
S: Alcides?
H: Yes, Alcides. He found the evidence that von Chirac was married. Alcides.
S: That’s why you came? Because you knew I found out that Daniel was married. Is that why you are here? You’ve deceived me again, Hugo.
H: How can I make you understand how much I love you? How? I’ve never loved another woman as I love you. I’m yours (‘Soy tuyo’) Soledad.
S: How could you?
H: My body and soul are yours.
Soledad just stares at him.

Antonia is walking home from the cabaret in her disguise. (She wouldn’t change at the cabaret?) She says that she has to change quickly so as not to miss the celebration of Soledad’s engagement. She finds Dr. Dan sitting under a tree (Of course, it wouldn’t make sense for him to go into the cabaret in his condition but Antonia has to be in disguise to hear his confidences.).

Hugo and Soldedad-
H: For the love of God, Soledad. (he sighs) Don’t reject me any more. What do I have to do to make you forgive me? What?
S: It’s not that I can’t forgive you. What I can’t do is believe you.
H: Then I’ll move heaven and earth to make you believe what I feel for you.
S: Hugo, please don’t continue. You don’t know what your words do to my heart. You haven’t changed. You’re the same person. Look what you just did. Did you come here to make sure that I knew that Daniel was still married? Why? Why do you keep playing with me?
H: Soledad. Forgive me if I offended you. It wasn’t my intention. I don’t know what else to do to make you understand that I love you. Can’t you see that I’d hold on to anything to be near you? Don’t you understand that I need you like the tree needs the soil to survive?
S: Enough. I don’t want to hear more. Do you realize that your love hurts me? It’s killing me. It’s driving me crazy and I’d like to escape from this madness. Please. Leave me.
H: My love. Without you I can’t continue to live. I can’t live without your kisses. I can’t live without your caresses.
S: Please…
H: Look at me. Without you, my life is meaningless.
S: Stop.
H: Soledad, look at me. Please. Give me one last chance to prove that I love you. I promise you’ll never shed another tear because of me. I promise that I’ll make you the happiest woman in the world.
S: I’m tired of promises, Hugo. I don’t want to listen to you. Once again, you are wrong about me. I don’t love you anymore because it goes against my logic and well being.
H: (sighs) All right. I won’t beg ('rogar') anymore. No more. But if you wake up one day and your wounds are healed and you want to return to my side, find me because I’ll be waiting for you.
S: I don’t want to see you. I don’t want to listen to you. Seeing you hurts me. (Soledad leaves.)

Antonia asks Dr. Dan what’s the matter. Dr. Dan tells ‘George’ that his fiancé lost her engagement ring and the night he thought was going to be his happiest turned into a nightmare. Someone had set him up or maybe he did it to himself. He had told Soledad that he had been married but he didn’t tell her that he had never gotten divorced. ‘George’ says, “What!”

At the cabaret, the Judge is three sheets to the wind. He asks Margot to come to his house where they can be more private. Margot says that they don’t have to go that far. There is a room right here where they can be together. Paquito comes over. He is shocked at the judge’s condition but agrees to let Margot take him to a room.

Eloisa interprets the Judge’s condition as an indication of the success of the cabaret. Paquito says that it will make him rich and then he hopes Eloisa will take him more seriously and want to marry him. (It’s going to be hard to compete with that treasure, Paquito.) Eloisa tells Paquito not to behave that way in front of everyone. He should wait until they get home.

At the Hacienda, Alcides tells Hercu-less to bring Manuela Marin, the little doctor’s wife, to San Marino. He gives Herc lots of money in case of eventualities. (looks like another trip to the treasure vault is in the cards for Eloisa) Herc must bring the doctor’s wife to San Marino whatever it costs. Herc says that he will leave right after he says goodbye to his woman. He won’t say anything to her. Alcides says that by the time he returns, his former boss, Arturo, will be sentenced to many years in jail. Herc is pleased that in future he won’t have to worry about having him bother his wife when she is alone. Alcides says that he has to resolve a personal matter with Arturo. They leave together.

Soledad returns to her bedroom. She flashes back to Hugo swinging her up on his horse and saying that they were born to love one another and a bunch of other scenes from yesterday and a few minutes ago. Ursula comes in with some tea that she says will make Soledad feel better.
S: The only way for me to feel better is to be by Hugo’s side. (That was quick. If you hurry, you can catch Hugo before he leaves.)
U: Are you serious?
S: I think it’s time to let my heart decide. It’s time to listen to what my heart is shouting and stop thinking, turn off my mind.
U: Then do it. Listen to your heart. It’s the only way that you’ll be happy.
S: Ursula, Hugo said that he wouldn’t come looking for me anymore, that I’d have to decide if I wanted to be with him.
U: Then what are you waiting for? Maybe all that has happened with Dr. Dan was a sign from heaven that you should be with the only man you have ever loved – Hugo de Medina. Don’t think too much. You might lose if you take too long. (Ursula leaves.)

Hugo is packing. Boris tells him about the commission to make a sword but Hugo isn’t listening. Finally he says, “It’s all over between us. I won’t keep begging Soledad to forgive me. Her heart is too destroyed to listen to reason. So I’m leaving right now to find Michelle.” (You just told Soledad that you’d die without her and that you’d wait for her to come to you and now you’re going after another woman?)
Boris says that seems like a good idea. Hugo says that at least Soledad won’t marry Dr. Dan because he is already married. They leave the cabaña. Hugo has changed into a spiffy traveling outfit and left his blacksmith getup behind.

Dr. Dan says that he should have kept looking for his wife and gotten separated so that he could have avoided this disaster with Soledad. ‘George’ says that Dr. Dan should have told Soledad everything at the beginning. Dr. Dan admits that is true but there is no turning back. ‘George’ says that she has to leave. Dr. Dan hugs ‘George’ saying that he loved Soledad but he made a mistake. ‘George’ tries to comfort him. (This must look pretty strange – two guys hugging?)

Alcides bangs on Hugo’s door. He says that he has come to look at the footprints. He decides Hugo isn’t home. To keep the hair off his face while he leans over to examine the footprints, he takes off his talisman and uses the cord to tie his hair back like Hugo. (We can see where this is going.) Alcides studies the footprints. He says that they will make Arturo rot in jail. Soledad is outside the cabaña. She comes in.
S: Hugo. I thought about what you told me. I came to talk to you because I want to give us another chance. I’ve been thinking a lot. You words made me wake up. You are completely right, Hugo. After all we’ve been through, all we’ve had to live through.
A: (to himself) She thinks I’m Hugo but what is she talking about?
S: What am I doing here? I made a mistake coming here.
A: (to himself) She’s forgiven my brother. That is what she is trying to say.
Soledad goes to Alcides and hugs him.
S: Hugo, my love. (Alcides smiles like he can’t believe his luck, his 'ganchito'.)

Hugo is sitting on the same stupid train with Boris. Boris says that he has a secret date with Ursula. Hugo tells him to be happy with the woman he loves. Boris says that when Hugo returns, they can start making swords like the one he made to give to Michelle. They could specialize in swordmaking. They could become famous. Hugo says that he would be happy selling some to make a living. Boris wishes Hugo good luck. Hugo tells him to be happy with the woman that he loves.

Now Dr. Dan has come into the tavern. He sees Eloisa. She tells him not to give her that look. She has already forgiven him his lies. Dr. Dan says that doesn’t concern him. Eloisa says that shouldn’t he be celebrating his engagement at the Obragon’s? Dr. Dan says that there is no engagement. Eloisa asks why. Dr. Dan says that he bets she is responsible for what happened. Eloisa says that she doesn’t understand. Dr. Dan says that he is sure that it was she who took his marriage certificate to Soledad.

Paquito tries to warn the ‘Paquitas’ to be careful without telling them why. All of a sudden he notices the Judge, bootless, sleeping in the corner.

Cut to Arturo getting a visitor. It’s Margot. She’s got the boots. Arturo looks at the sole and says that it is exactly the same as his boots. Margot says that she hopes he appreciates what she went through to get them. Arturo asks whose boots they are: a cop; a soldier? Margot says that they are none other than Judge Fernández’s boots!

Hercu-less comes looking for Margot to say goodbye but she isn’t there. He wonders where she is at this hour.

Boris sneaks past the guards to see Ursula. They kiss. He says that she is more beautiful than ever. The stars light up her beauty. Ursula says that she likes it when talks like that. She didn’t know he was so romantic. Boris says that in truth he isn’t but her beauty makes him that way. Ursula says that she can’t stay long. She has to take care of Aurora and... Antonia appears (She is dressed as a woman. Where did she change? Behind a bush?). She asks what Ursula is doing and then she sees Boris.

Soledad and Alcides-
S: Why don’t you talk to me? My love. Why don’t you say something? You said you would always be waiting for me. I think you are completely right.
A: (to himself) She can’t tell that I’m Alcides.
S: My love. I was wrong. Forget the past. I forgive you. I forgive you. Let us have another chance to be happy. Just like you said, you’re mine and I want to be yours.
She kisses him.
S: My love. Let’s forget the past. Make me yours.
A: (to himself) Of course, I want that more than anything in the world – to make you mine, mine once and for all but later, what will happen later when you discover I’m not Hugo, that I’m Alcides?
S: You said you couldn’t live without me. Neither can I. You were right. I tried but I couldn’t, my love. I love you. I know this is crazy. I shouldn’t have come.
A: (to himself) The die is cast (‘Las cartas están echadas,’ literally, ‘the cards have been played’). It’s now or never, Alcides. You either don’t say you are Alcides and make her yours or confess the truth and let her go. (Alcides goes for the lip lock. I guess he’s made his decision.)

On the train, a young lady sits opposite Hugo. Hugo introduces himself. He tells the woman that she reminds him of a very dear friend that he is going to visit: Michelle Philips. Hugo has a flashback to telling Michelle that he has to go on with his life. To himself, Hugo says that at least when he comes back, he won’t find Soledad married to Dr. Dan.

In the tavern, Dr. Dan accuses Eloisa of sending his marriage certificate to Soledad. Eloisa denies that she knew Dr. Dan was married. Dr. Dan apologizes but Eloisa points out maliciously that Soledad will never forgive him for this.

Antonia tells Ursula that what she is doing is unpardonable. How can she be alone with this man? Boris tells Antonia that he and Ursula are friends. Antonia says that friends don’t hide. Ursula says that they were hiding because Boris isn’t welcome in this house because he is Hugo’s servant. Boris admits that he was wrong and says that he will come tomorrow and tell Lucas of his intentions towards Ursula. Antonia replies that is what decent people do.

Arturo tells Margot that she is the bravest woman he has ever met. Margot says that she is terrified. What will happen to her when the judge wakes up and finds she has taken his boots? He’ll send her to the gallows. Arturo swears that won’t happen. Margot tells him how she got the judge drunk and then took his boots. Arturo says that she is his salvation. They kiss.

Alcides and Soledad-
A: (to himself) Soledad doesn’t suspect that I’m Alcides. My God, she doesn’t know what she is doing. I love her so much. This is my opportunity.
S: My love. I know all the times that you’ve asked me for forgiveness and I wouldn’t give it. It doesn’t matter that you’re silent now. I love you and I want you to make me yours like that night at the cabaña. Make me yours, my love.
A: (to himself) You’re asking for it, Soledad. You came to me. All by yourself, you came to me. Even if you think I’m Hugo, I’ll make you mine.

Tomorrow: No soy Hugo, soy Alcides.

Labels:


Comments:
Wow,thanks Jean! I don't know how Soladad was able to resist Hugos Begging.Thanks for the interpretation of that word. She's better than a million other single women that would have buckled their knees at his full on charm.

He has really not been holding anything back. He risked his very life to kidnap her and tell her how he feels, and last night he humbled himself and really did beg and promised her the moon tied up in a pretty bow.

I also kept thinking that if Alcides is able to carry out his very devious plan to be with Soladad under the pretext of being his brother, Hugo will kill him with his bare hands.

I kept thinking something will tip her off-the scar, his different style of kissing. But we will see.

I thought Ursela and Boris looked like a couple of scared teenagers last night.

And I kept thinking of how sweet Hugo is. He's really smitten and crazy in love, which doesn't add up with what he said a few weeks ago. "If someone is in love as much as Michelle is with me, they do'nt leave easily" or something to that effect.
 

What can we say about this development? First, as I've said before, the ridiculous plot twists are making it easier to see the novela end. I am eager, once released from the necessity of doing the daily recaps, to go back and watch the novela when it was so good that it took over my life. I have all of it on my TiVo and on my computer.

But let's suspend disbelief and go with the flow. Unless the teaser is misleading us, which is possible, I'm going to have take back my comment on May 29:

"You are right, jb, it is unusual for the protagonists to have sex with somebody other than their true love. I'd be willing to bet it would never happen with the woman.
Permalink posted by Jean : Thu May 29, 07:49:00 PM EDT"

Fortunately I didn't actually bet anything.

Soledad did tell Ursula that she was going to stop thinking and "put her mind aside." So she did and she can't tell the difference between Hugo and Alcides.

I liked the way that they made what happened fit Alcides' slippery morality. He wasn't pretending to be Hugo. It was a series of circumstances that put him in Hugo's house, with his hair done like Hugo and at least with his jacket off. So Alcides can justify what he is going to do by saying that Soledad came to him and asked him to make love to her. This is the same way he denied responsibility for what happened to Rebeca. He didn't intend for trap in the treasure vault to kill her so it wasn't his fault that a lethal booby trap he set kills someone. The same with Michelle's death.

Obviously, they had to get Hugo out of the cabana so off he goes on the train again. That makes a lot less sense after what he said to Soledad earlier about waiting for her to come to him and not wanting to continue to live without her. Whatever.
 

Well at any rate we can't say that this novela is predictable. On the contrary, the writers seem to be going to every lenghth to throw us off. At least I have been. They have kept me guessing so many times.

Was Ursela going to have a relationship with Enrique, then he gets killed off. Was Soladad really the daughter of Jeremias? Apparently not. Who is Margot really going to be with. And on and on. I really like this novela, but it is really strange. I remember when I used to watch La fea mas bella, Fernando, the lead characture rarely took his shirt off. Then on their honey moon, he did. There were a few sporatic times when he did, but I am on the shirtless watch commitee, waiting to see if Hugo is going to take it off for the final episode, of this very untraditional novela.
 

Thanks, Jean!
Why is Soledad so stupid? I cannot believe this! The only good thing to say about her right now is that she went after Hugo.
ITA with anon 10:35 - surely, she'll be able to tell by his kisses, etc.
If not, then she hasn't been paying attention & doesn't deserve Hugo.


Alcides is clever and I think/hope he'll do the "honorable" thing and stop Soledad in time, thus proving how he loves and deserves her, while Hugo is off chasing after Michelle.
Does doing the right thing for the wrong reasons negate the fact that you did the right thing?
 

Soledad has always been able to know the difference between Hugo and Alcides, but not this time. Okay Alcides is not talking. What about the two guns in his back, the different clothes,I'll bet different smell aren't those clues for clueless Soledad?

If you we think very hard Soledad has never make a wise choice. She is too implusive and malleable. Always doing what her parents, friends, servants, etc want.

The writers of LT are really upseting me. Where the heck are they going with this? I am so glad this is almost over because it is getting really annoying.

Probably Soledad's defense is going to be "Hugo I am so confused I don't know who's who anymore" and the blame is going to fall on Hugo for pretending to be Alcides in the first place.

I hope Anya is right and Alcides stops Soledad in time, although it does not look like.
 

Those were insightful comments on Alcides’ morality, Jean—-it makes better sense to me now how he could justify his actions. Call me kinky, but I have to admit I liked the scene, getting to see Alcides’ dream come true if only for awhile. Of course in real life this would be appalling for a man to deceive a woman like that, but this is Mario and pure fantasy and I like Alcides’ “style”, so to speak. I still think that he won’t go through with it all the way, that something will happen or he will muster up enough decency to confess his true identity before he really scars her emotionally. Someone on another board said that upon watching the preview more closely, it looked like the one in bed with Soledad was Hugo in the robe, and that when Alcides tells Soledad that he is Alcides, he is dressed. “What I’m not sure is if he will tell her before or after”, this person said. So there could be a real twist to this whole situation.

I agree it was annoying that Hugo went off to find Michelle, after telling Soledad he would wait for her. The only thing I can think of is that he truly did not think Soledad was going to forgive him so quickly, because when he left she was still as cold as ever. And I don’t think he went to Michelle to profess his undying love; it was more to talk things out and smooth things over, to make sure she wasn’t completely heartbroken.

Like you, I’m looking forward to the ending—-I can’t take the drama and suspense much longer! This show is so intense, waiting for each episode! I’d probably be a basket case by now if I had seen the whole thing from the beginning, lol. When this ends, I do want to read the recaps more closely. I have read enough to get the gist of the story but there is still so much I don’t know or understand, and the early episodes, especially, are sketchy—-there aren’t real thorough recaps of them, unless I’ve missed them. I remember months ago, before I really started watching LT and was at the mercy of other family members who had the remote control, I caught a glimpse of a scene during a commercial break of Star Trek which showed Mario tied up and some woman kissing him, and then she suddenly STABBED him! I was shocked! I thought, “Oh no, that handsome guy is gonna die! I thought he was the star of the show! What is going ON here??” But then I was abruptly taken back to Mr. Spock and some space alien, so I never found out. At that time I did not know Mario was playing twins, or anything of what was going on. I have picked up that the crazy woman was Beatriz holding him captive. I still haven’t found out how he recovered from that horrible wound—-can anybody shed some light on this? Anyway, when the show ends I will have a BIT more time to carefully read as much as I can about La Traicion from the beginning. Right now Telemundo is taking up at least three hours of my day, what with having to watch Pasion de Gavilanes during the day, too! (I am in love with Juan.) And then I usually try to catch SOME of Victoria at night. Arrggh! I don’t know how you women who work outside the home have time for anything! Thank goodness all of these shows will END!!! Oh, and I will also try to go to the library and watch some of LT online, since we don’t have high-speed Internet at home. Either that or I will move in with a friend who has high-speed, and take over their computer, lol.
 

By the way, I know this has been said before, but if there are any "newbies" or lurkers or if anybody is reading this message board in the future, and if you like Mario and Danna, be sure to watch Pasion de Gavilanes, where they were first paired together in 2003. They make a great couple--such chemistry you wouldn't believe. All they have to do is LOOK at each other! This show is a modern-day setting, and they play completely different characters than on LT. I do have some issues with it but for the most part I'm enjoying it. Telemundo is in the process of rerunning it during the day now (some of it is edited out, darn!). You can also get the DVD set from Amazon or eBay--it is highly edited but nice to have to get the basic storyline and clear, closeup shots.
 

Cindy: What you saw between Star Trek episodes was when Alcides got stabbed by Beatriz. All of that is recapped on here. Alcides gets stabbed on the April 25 episode. The whole return of Alcides/Beatriz sequence started in the March 26 episode.

I have this fantasy that after LT is over I'll go back and do detailed recaps for the early episodes so there is a complete set.

I too would not be unhappy if Alcides got to be with Soledad one time. That's all he's ever wanted and he's such an interesting character - not good but not completely bad either.
 

Thanks Jean--I went back and re-read that recap along with a few others around it, so it helped clear up a few questions. There is still SO MUCH TO READ! And yet, I want MORE! That would be so great if you could go back and write detailed recaps of the earlier episodes! When you get more time, of course. I will email you every day to bug you. "Is it done yet? Is it done yet?" Haha.

I wish I could print up all the recaps and read them at my leisure in a comfy chair, rather than sitting at the computer. It would mean a whole lot of paper and ink, though! I did already print up a number of recaps, using the smallest font just to save paper, but then my eyes get buggy trying to read it!

Those torture scenes with Alcides sound gruesome--ugh, I'm glad I missed them. If I ever get a chance to see them I'll probably have to close my eyes.
 

Actually, it's not completely true that Soledad can always tell Alcides and Hugo apart - remember after Hugo had been "gaslighting" her and she was convinced he was alive and everyone else was convinced she was crazy, when Alcides approached her dressed as Hugo (just before he drags her off at gunpoint to the mine), she didn't realize he wasn't Hugo until he told her. She thought it was Hugo because she *wanted* it to be Hugo, same as now.
 

Thanks again, Jean. These two crazy kids have an intense discussion about their love and five minutes later Hugo's on the train and Soledad wants Hugo to have her. These lightening fast turns are making my head spin. Oh well, it'll be interesting to see how it all ends.

Jean, you turned yourself in! You said it (protagonists to have sex with somebody other than their true love) would never happen ;-o I wish it had been a dinner bet! No, I'm guessing it doesn't happen. Soledad has been pretty lame. If she doesn't know Hugo's kisses...
jb
 

I still have to say that even though this Novela is a little lost at times. It is so much better then US soaps. Also am I wrong or do the newest opening credit show Hugo and Alcides fighting a duel. I didn't get to see the first episodes of LT but the duel at the beginning was fought by Arturo and Hugo, right? So is the duel we are now seeing in the opening of each episode a preview of a duel yet to be fought between Hugo and Alcides over what Alcides is doing to Soladad and the fact that Hugo finds out (reason for his sudden? planned? train trip) that Michelle is dead????
Caroline
 

I think we're all breathing a collective sigh of relief at this point ;) I was so annoyed at Hugo for going off to see Michelle (all the while pleased that Soledad wasn't gonna marry Dan) but I hope cindybin is right and he only went to make sure she was ok and not to try to get her back.

Anon 10:35, I noticed that when Alcides took his shirt off (that looked like no body double to me!) his scar from where Batty Bea stabbed him seemed to be missing (or was very faint). I thought, if nothing else, Soledad would have recognized that! Shame on those continuity people! I do think Soledad could have made a case for her confusion being caused by those two constantly posing as each other. Poor kid can't even tell which side is up. Still, one would hope they'd at least kiss a little differently, they can't kiss that much alike...

I wonder if this is why Mario's been eating constantly lately. I do think it made sense for Alcides to be eating out of nervousness, but it drove me crazy to watch him eating all the time, and it was weird when Hugo did the same with fruit. Anywhoo, someone (I think it was either Jean or Marie Celeste) mentioned how he had to eat every four hours as par of his intense diet and exercise regime to keep up his body in "El Cuerpo del Deseo." I wonder if this was part of a quick fire regime to get him in shirtless shape again! Just a theory, I'm just glad we got to see the results ;)
 

What was up with the kiss in the beginning of this episode? I think it was the worst onscreen kiss I’ve ever seen from Mario. It looked like he practically had his lips curled inward over his teeth & was just pressing against Danna’s mouth, not kissing her lips. (I wonder if Mario was completely checked out of the show by this time & was just phoning it in. Not great work, Mario.)

In the beginning of the novela, like Cindybin, I had a soft spot in my heart for Alcides. Being the healthy brother, slighted by his parents in favor of the sickly Hugo, my heart went out to him as the sad product of well-intended but dysfunctional parents. But when he recovered from his amnesia & came back unrepentant for his former sins (so thoroughly recounted to him by Beatríz) and determined to use his new fortune for revenge, I sadly wrote him off.

However, compared to Hugo lately, Alcides isn’t looking so bad anymore. As morally slippery as he is, he at least seems to make sense. I don’t know what Mario thinks Hugo is communicating with his face in this episode, but with his squinting eyes and goofy half-grin, he looks anything but desperate or frustrated. In his opening scene with Soledad, while his dialogue beautifully communicates the pain of a man fighting for his emotional life, his face seems to say, “That was some good weed I had over lunch period.” I’m serious. I apologize to the seriously smitten but I finally figured out that he’s reminding me of the stoner guys in high school who came stumbling back into the building after smoking their lunch. All he’s missing are the bloodshot eyes.

And then with the telling Soledad that he’d be waiting for her if she decided to return to him, and then skipping town the next day? Lame. The trip to go see Michelle is illogical. I don’t care if it gets Hugo out of the cabaña, it’s stupid writing. And then we get his reminiscing about Michelle & more goofy half-smiles. Lame again.

And I absolutely can’t swallow the idea that Soledad wouldn’t be able to tell the twins apart by this time. Even if she was too excited to think straight, Alcides’ hesitation to speak should send up a huge red flag to her. These brothers have messed with her so many times that ANY weird behavior should do just that. As tempting as Alcides is in the closing scene, I think something is going to happen to keep it from its natural conclusion. Maybe Alcides takes off his shirt & Soledad sees the scar from the knife stab Beatríz gave him & his jig will be up. If it actually does happen, I hope that at this late stage in the game we don’t have all the boring self-recrimination & self-denial that usually accompanies a hero/heroines downfall, which our Soledad is especially good at. We’ll see…
 

Margarita, to me it definitely looked like a body double when he took his shirt off. No way does Mario have such a flat stomach in real life. He still has a good body, but you can tell he has put on some weight since his Juan days in PdG, and I don't think he so many muscles these days, either. Plus, if that were his real chest, they would have shown a full body shot--with his HEAD attached! Just like they did during Juan's shirtless scenes--you knew it was him because of that. In LT, the scene cut to only his chest. In my opinion, I would rather have the love scene without him taking off his shirt, rather than faking it with a body double. They could have done the whole scene with him shirtless without focusing on his less-than-perfect stomach. His face is enough for me.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder