Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pasión de Gavilanes, Thurs. & Fri., June 12 & 13- Dínorah is having better luck with scheme to get Juan than Armando is with his plans to kill Franco

Sorry for the tardy posting. I'm a little behind. Here is some stuff I liked or thought:

Juan & Norma: When Juan goes to meet Norma at the Rosales hacienda, I'm just yelling for him not go inside before Norma gets there. You just knew what that witch Dínorah was going to pull something.

Abuelo, referring to Fernando, "There's nothing worse than an 'ignorante' with power.
How true!

Franco to Óscar after he says that Juan doesn't know how to handle women, "If you know so much [about women], how come they leave you naked anywhere?"

Óscar and Jimena: The fracaso at the commercial shoot was hysterical. Poor Bruno.

Franco and Sarita: Nice scene on the rock when she told him she had always liked him but she doesn't know him yet.

Rosario and Armando and the incompetant assassins. It was funny to see Armando trying so hard to get rid of Franco while Rosario is shagging everything in pants. The brilliant Herzog and Rubinsky not only put their 'bomb' in the wrong car but the bomb itself was totally incapable of killing anyone (fortunately). Armando's reaction when Franco came into the restaurant was priceless.

Armando saying that if he believed in sorcery, he would suspect that someone had done something to him because all his plans turn out so badly.

Referring to his conclusion that if Rosario was out all night with someone else, it had to be Franco, Memo said to Armando, 'Asi es que, blanco es y la gallina lo pone,' which means literally, 'so if it's white and laid by a chicken...' with 'it's an egg' as the unspoken conclusion. The only similar expression in English that I can think of right now is, 'if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...'

Franco and Óscar trying to get their girls to help get Norma back to Juan.

Marie Celeste: Keeping in mind that this is a spoiler free blog, I just want to say that I couldn't resist and looked ahead on You Tube to what is going to happen in episodes 97-107 in a couple of weeks, I guess. Oh my! I can't wait to see it in on the TV. I don't know how you can watch a novela on the internet. It would drive me crazy.

Labels:


Comments:
Jean: Wow, you did jump ahead! We're only at 75 now, so you did leap to some big developments. (Good stuff, huh?!?!?!)

Actually, I've been fine with watching PdG on Youtube, as the interface functions very well and I love having the power of watching at my own pace (read: skipping ahead!). I'll be thrilled, however, when LT is over because exactly the opposite is true there. I am weary of always being a day behind the TV audience, and being dependent on the very capricious Telemundo site for uploads. LT may be the last Telemundo novela I try to catch in "real time." But in the meantime, I still have PdG!
 

I also got a kick out of Franco's comment to Óscar "well, if you know so much...." He's had some good smarty-pants-type lines lately, and it seems like there wasn't much of that before, when he was still following Rosario around and then letting the Hacienda Trueba employees step all over him. Another one I liked was when he first called Óscar Tiberio, and when he made that comment at the baptism party about Juan David--something along the lines of hopefully he doesn't have his father's temperment.

There are a couple of other expressions I have been wondering about that I keep hearing in this show--one is "ni ocho cuartos" and the other is one that Gabriela has used a couple of times, but unfortunately I can't remember it exactly...something like "deme el aguasomething like "déme el agua dónde..."? Does anyone know how to translate those?
 

P.S. This mess with Dínora is so painful...pobre Juan! It's annoying that Norma believes everything Dínora says without giving Juan a chance to explain, but then I guess if she didn't, we wouldn't have a story.
 

Juan needs a restraining order against Dinorah!
Norma is making me reallyy mad with her attitude towards Juan. How can she be so tonta? If she would just look into his eyes....well, if it were me, I'd be moving in with him pronto, pero muy pronto!

I like Sarita and Franco "testing the waters" by going slowly. I thought it was gutsy of her to admit she'd had her eye on him from day one, and that's why she'd get so mad at him.

I saw today's episode - yay for Franco defending Sarita!! The look in her eye after that assured me that she's a goner for him now.

Funny seeing the hermanos sitting in the living room, all reading books, or at least looking at the pictures. It's a quiet life with no wives or novias!
 

I noticed that too--how the brothers were spending a quiet evening at home--such a refreshing change from the usual stereotype of a guy in front of the TV with a beer and watching the game or going to a bar. Just seeing Juan sitting there quietly reading made me swoon. He is such a great character. I'm liking the other brothers, too--they are maturing. Franco especially is growing up and showing responsibility. Sarita will be so good for him.

I do not like the violence, though--somebody beats up somebody or takes a swing at someone almost every episode. I had an issue with that watching reruns of Magnum P.I. last year--I loved the rest of the show but I couldn't stand seeing Magnum beaten to a pulp every other episode. I don't know why they have to put that stuff in. I guess maybe so it won't be all romance and fluff and more guys will watch it.

Norma refusing to talk to Juan is making me mad, too. She should know him better by now. But like we keep saying, if there weren't some crisis, there wouldn't be any story.
 

debbie: The expression “ni qué ocho cuartos” expresses incredulity and negation, like the expression "my foot" (or more forcefully, “my a**”), as in:

"Mom, I'm can't go to school. I'm sick."
"Sick, my foot! Get yourself dressed and out the door."

"Mama, no puedo ir a la escuela. Estoy enfermo."
"Qué enfermo ¡ni qué ocho cuartos! Vistete y vete por la puerta."

I can’t think of what the expression might be that Gabriela has used, but I’ll keep my ears open for what you described. :-)

"Ni ocho cuartos" is one of my two favorite new expressions I learned from this show, the other being "decirle a alguien cuatro verdades", (literally "to tell someone four truths"). This one is roughly equivalent to tell someone the real story or "to set someone straight", as in: "If someone tells me I can't, I'll set them straight." ("Si alguien me dice que no puedo, yo mismo voy a decirle cuatro verdades.") The Reyes boys use this one every now & then, especially Juan.
 

I really didn’t need the closeup of Armando’s tush getting that shot in the hospital. I thought that nurse prepping it with alcohol was going to rub it completely away. I’m so glad Armando’s posse has the likes of Herzog, Rubinsky and Memo. That’s almost punishment enough for all his idiocies. ;-)

True to telenovela form, Norma is being a complete idiot and not giving Juan a chance to explain his side of things. Good move on the part of the brothers to enlist her sisters to get her to see the light. Now that IS something that would happen in real life!!

I cannot believe what a cruel, needy old witch Doña Raquel is. I really have a hard time watching any of her scenes, she’s that repulsive to me. How she can be so cruel to everyone, especially to Eva, is astounding to me. I love how the boys have rallied round Eva. They’re so sweet with her.

The increasingly treacly relationship between Gabriela & Fernando is really making me nauseous. These are two seriously dysfunctional people. Scary, scary stuff.
 

Thanks Marie Celeste!

Re: Gabriela and Fernando--looks like it's going to get even scarier, as the previews for today's shows had them going out to dinner (???). UGH!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder