Thursday, July 31, 2008

Guapos Wednesday 7/30/08 Holy margarita, Batman--I think the Joker has passed out in your living room

Mea culpa, mea culpa! I really goofed today--I watched the show late last night and took notes, but then I had to run out early for a court appearance this morning, and I forgot my notes. I just got back to my office, and I will now put down what I have from memory. I will rely on the rest of you stalwart viewers to fill in where I have missed.

Here are some things that happened. Socorro had a couple of heart-to-heart talks with Lina. Poor Karla, now trying to repent, overhears and feels jealous. She even hears her mother say that she wishes Karla could be more like Lina. Karla flashes her patented exasperated look.

Nestor meets with Sr. Lobredo, the only lawyer in the DF. He wants to leave his money to Alejandro.

Bobby asks Lina for a definitive response on their relationship, and she rejects him and runs to her room crying. Bobby later talks to Al, who reassures him that Lina really likes him, but he can't tell him why she's acting the way she is. He tells him to hang in there. Then Al proposes that Bobby join him in a brand-new business. They will get away from the machinations of Connie and Flor. Where will they get the money? They will sell their cars! This reminded me of when Don Fernando, Omar and Marcia pooled their resources to save Conceptos. Will Al and Bobby sleep in a little bed together and fight over the covers? (I must ask, though, who would want to buy Al's Hummer now, what with gas prices the way they are? Although I understand prices are still lower in Mexico, since it's an oil producing country. . .)

Stalker I has lunch with Stalker II (that's Flo and Hugo, if you hadn't guessed) to tell him that they must form a united front if they want to preserve their miserable marriages. They should go away to have romantic getaways. Everybody buys tickets for a trip to the beach, as it looks like a great time to get out of Dodge. Hugo buys tickets for him and Mili, Flor buys tickets for her and Alex.

When Mili is presented with the idea, she is not too thrilled, but she feigns interest. Hugo hugs her and she looks queasy.

Val begs Rocky to take her away forever. He says that no, he wants to do things the right way and build up some business and they will get married in the future. However, he agrees to take her away for a few days to--the beach! I'm betting that all these couples will end up together in Acapulco. Let the fireworks begin!

To make the episode easier to recap, thankfully, most of it is dedicated to the grand guignol tour de force of Luciana's intervention.
When we start the episode, Luciana has collapsed on the floor and she's still tossing back the scotches. Her lipstick is completely smeared, and she looks like she's channeling Heath Ledger. It's pretty creepy. In her drunken state, Luci tries one last time to insult Mili as being a low-life like her mother, but this time Mili won't have it, and she points out that her sainted mother died in childbirth etc. Mili now reveals to Al that it was Luciana who told her the secret about their not being siblings--and it was just after his wedding, when it was too late to do anything. Al is beside himself.

Meanwhile, Connie, Brau, and Andrea return home from the political fiasco. Connie is bellowing for Luci, and a huge blowout ensues, as he explains that he will have to resign, I think. She is thrilled that his career is destroyed. He says he once loved her but she has destroyed it all. She says he is a liar--he has always hated her. He demands that she go to rehab, and she says no, no, no. Everyone in the family assembles and chimes in about how she should go. What's funny is that every time they cut to Andrea, she is laughing or smirking. Luciana does not want to go to the manicomio, and she wails louder and louder. I hope she gets nominated for Best Scream Play.

Mili suggests that perhaps Luci could be treated at home, but this idea is shot down. Rocky chimes in that Mili is the lady of the house, so they should listen to her, but he is shot down. Luci rants that the only people who support her are those she hates the most--that mugrosa soccer player and the naco chauffeur. Irony's a bitch, ain't it?

Finally, Connie calls an ambulance. He plots with Damian to get Luci to go. Damian takes Luci into another room, and she thinks he is going to save her from the asylum if she gives him her shares back again. Luci believes him, but in her state, who can blame her. Anyway, finally, the men in the white coats show up and put her in a straitjacket. It's pretty gruesome, and they have to inject her with something to get her to calm down. She realizes Damian betrayed her. As they drag her out, Connie hugs Val and even puts an arm on Al's shoulder, but Al throws it off in disgust. That's all I can remember!

Labels:


Comments:
Wow Nina...rough day! But you made it to court, that's the important thing.

Last night was Luciana's finest hour...she was pretty much screeching from beginning to end. I had to walk out of the room a few times. Too much drama for me, but I imagine the actress enjoyed it. At least I hope she did.
 

NinaK – you did a great job remembering. And you put in funny stuff too – good job!

I found this episode hard to watch since the scenes with Luci were so wrenching. I feel like going to her actress digs, ringing the bell, and handing her a premio. What a terrific performance.

Although she has been bad bad bad, it was hard to see Connie pretending that this was for her good, Andrea smirking, then forcing her to get on her knees and beg, etc. Of course she’s not nuts and needs to go to a dry-out place, not an insane asylum. And in a strait jacket no less!

Once the psychiatrists get their hands on you, you’re pretty much doomed. This reminds me of a (true) recounting of some medical students who were told to go to a hospital and fake an illness to get admitted so that they could see what it was like to be patients. One decided to fake mental illness. The others all called off their experiments after a day or so, but the guy in the mental ward had a very hard time to be released, and it took some days and scared him to death. Nobody believed him.
 

Yikes, she did not go easily. And she just kept drinking and drinking! How did she not pass out?

I think Rocky and Val should be partners with Al and Bobby. He's got a ton of energy and a great can-do attitude and willingness to learn. She'd be great at public relations and marketing.

Did anyone catch what Rocky and Mili were talking about in her room?
 

Oh, thanks for reminding me! I did catch it, and it's really cute.

Mili is going to take Rocky under her tutelage the way Granny took her under her wing. She is going to teach him all the things she learned in school and how to be less naco. The first thing is he must say verdad instead of neta for truth.

I agree, it crossed my mind that Rocky and Val will join forces with Bobby and Al (and Mili).
 

P.S. I just remembered something else--there was another one of those scenes where Connie almost revealed the truth to Mili but he bailed at the last second.
 

Nicely done NinaK ;) Don't you just hate it when life gets in the way of the stuff we like to do? Hope all went well in court.

Quick things - Grandpa Robledo may not be the only lawyer in the DF, but he's probably the only honest one! LOL!

Luci did not get a shot, Damian suggested it, but the paramedics were afraid it would mix badly with all the alcohol. We did see Damian chatting with the guys from the looney bin, and from the previews it looks like he may well keep his promise to Luci. He did harbor French Frank a while ago when he escaped from the asylum, so I guess it's becoming his specialty. Why the heck did nobody double check that Luci was going to a detox clinic instead of an insane asylum? Don't they know what a RatBastard Connie is?

It was actually Luci that almost spilled the beans about Mili (although Val and Rocky were the only ones there who didn't know) and Connie started to apologize for Luci's behavior, but Mili was having none of his BS.
 

NinaK you really get all the main points.Good memory!

When Luciana challenged Constancio to tell the truth to his daughter, I think everyone in the room knew the truth --except Val, who seem confused and concerned, as she thought it had to do with her. When Con. didn't step up to the plate, Mili got angry with him (dont remember what she said), but it should have occured to him that she knows the truth.

Also when Luciana called Nestor and he didn't want anything to do with her was a good dramatic moment,and put another nail in her coffin.

I think that Al gained another notch in his maturity belt in this episode. He went from being angry to really trying to get his mother to get the help she needed. He also really seemed to understand what her addiction was about. I am curious to know whether people under the influence of alcohol really reflect their true personalities, or as the script seemed to indicate "it is really the alcohol talking." (The few times in my life that I got drunk, I was a happy drunk, although I did tend to make true remarks about people that I never would have if I hadn't been drinking.) My guess is that people reveal their true personalities, but their loved ones rationalize and say it is the alcohol talking. Any ideas???

I think Laura Flores's acting was terrific, but harrowing. I'm curious to know what Damian is going to do with her now that he got her out of going to the manicomio. How will he hide her??
NJ Sue
 

You're right, Margarita. Mat is the only other lawyer, and he's the dishonest one.

As for me, I had a great day in court. This was one of those cases where a judge appointed me to be an evaluator of whether an elderly person should have a guardian appointed. All I have to do is show up and report my findings. I don't have to worry about winning or losing. I love these cases, not to mention they're interesting.
 

Well, as I understand it, NJ Sue, alcohol relaxes your inhibitions, so you lost the ability to "edit" your comments and your true thoughts about people come out. Painful. This also can happen with senility. My mother was always making unkind remarks about other people in the nursing home, and (because she was also hard of hearing) assumed people couldn't hear. But they did!

We had to move her after a while because she had alienated too many of the staff.

The other unfortunate thing is that alcohol takes you down to that lower primitive part of your brain, "the old brain" which can be vicious and amoral.

But naturally, we try and cover it over by saying "it's the alcohol talking" and "he would never have done it if he hadn't been drunk". Just our way of trying to patch up and preserve shaky relationships.

I'm trying to clean up my inner thoughts just in case I become senile like my mom!
 

Wait, Damian got Luci out of going to the manicomio? I wasn't watching that closely as I was doing other things at the same time, but I thought that he lied to her to get her shares and then let her get sent away.

Although I can't believe that anything she signed when she was that drunk and on her way to the manicomio would be valid.
 

Great Job recapping from memory! Nina.

I was glue to the television last night watching this episode. I thought Laura Flores did a superb job of acting.

The character Luciana was drinking to block out all the bad and hurt feelings she harbored from her family and Nestor. She is trying, but I thought it was a good idea of the writers that Luciana's conscious is not allowing her to block or erase all that she was done or said. I have a feeling that this is going to drive her crazy.

My guess is that she will end up on the streets if Damien did spring her from the custody of the mental health workers. Luciana will have no one to prohibit her, so she will drink through her money of what she has and end up on the street. I think someone is going to use and harm her- this will be her punishment for her past deeds.

This is just my guess. I don't know what is going to happened. I know that I could look up what happened, but I want to be surprised to what happens next. The show is getting interesting again. I have been faithful watching every night. I am also trying to learn Spanish.

Thanks for all your comments and recaps, for it helps me.
 

JudyB, my mother does the same thing now! She is 91. What an embarrassment. When you try to get her to stop, she yells out "Whaddya mean? They can't hear me!"
 

Oh Lordy...that's EXACTLY what my mother said. I feel for you Nina...you have both my empathy and my sympathy (and my prayers that you and I stayed compos mentes or however it's said and spelled)
 

LMAO @ Rocky when he found out that La Señora Luciana was going to the "manicure"!
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder